Thread: Lunch Under Duress

Lunch Under Duress

This is Lillerspond, the largest town for at least twenty miles and a prominent landmark on maps of Alerar, or at least the maps that are made by cartographers being paid by the feature. It visible from a day's ride away as a mass of towering white pillars bending in the wind, emanating from dozens of boilers driving hundreds of hammers forging thousands of tons of metal. The old water-mill-fineries still churned, but their days were over when the Lillerspond dam was built.

Magical fires were expensive, sure, but years of paying for wagonloads of wood and coal is even more expensive. The muzzy, humid air here had the sharp tang of far too much fire magic running around, and Ihime Lars loved it. It was a spice that complemented her exciting tours of fine elven industry, occasionally with the permission of the smithery master, ever since arriving here via bucket two weeks ago. She still had that bucket, which was now being put to dual use marinating several fat burbots and holding up one end of a drying line.

Ihime finished her inspection of mushrooms hanging from drying line and nodded her approval. The two hobs grinned hugely and scampered off with their reward: a complete pair of thick, woolly socks imported from Corone at great expense to Mr. Dillagithee. Of course, Mr. Dillagithee would probably not have approved of his involuntary donation, but Ihime had reasoned that he never wears them and they were a horrible maroon color.

After her last two attendants scarpered, all that was left to do for a while was to admire the view. Up here on the third storey, the sounds of the street hawkers and the rumbling carts in the plaza that the window overlooks were not nearly so overwhelming. The summer morning sun slanted in through the open windows onto the bank of lavenders on the window-sill, which was freshly cleaned and polished in expectation of guests.

Guests, that was the key. Ihime was expecting lunch guests today. They would heed that brief, polite letter sent to her sister's new keepers. Hopefully, the innkeeper, Mr. Dillagithee, wouldn't give them too much fuss about the freeloading lady on the top floor; that elf has been spouting worshipful nonsense about Ihime ever since she moved in. Such were the tribulations of fairy royalty.

EXP: 34,842, Level: 7
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next level: 158
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next level: 158
    GP

Name
    Zack Blaze
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blonde
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    6'0'' 170 lbs
    Job
    Manipulator

Zack walked through the streets of Lillerspond re-reading the letter he had received. While an invitation to lunch sounded more than inviting, the youth knew that he should not take things at face value. For all he knew, this could have been the set up for a trap. So many gullible fools fell prey to such ambushes on a daily faces. In Princess Agnie had taught Zack Blaze anything in her time at Misery Business, it was that pretty faces did not mean good intentions.

For this reason, Zack brought with him added protection in the form of Aurelianus Drak’shal. The demon kept pace with his partner, puffing on a cigarette as his eyes read over the invitation as well. “Afraid that you won’t be able to ‘andle whatever they got set up yourself, Cutter?” Zack didn’t even have to look at Aurie to know that the planes walker was smiling.

“Just a precaution, Aurie,” Zack spoke as he folded the letter up and placed it into the pocket of his pants, “You’re a better ally to have in these situations than say, Ags or Madison are. Ags can make for a quick escape, and Madison is good for interrogation, but when it comes to someone by my side cracking a few skulls…. Well, I shouldn’t have to tell you that you’re my guy.”

Zack touched his stomach, his fingers tracing over the stitches that had embedded themselves into the youth’s skin. After the second round of the Lornius Corporate Championship, Zack had told the healers to restore the damage, but leave the scar that Aurelianus had caused. Zack could still remember the feeling of his guts splattering out of the open cut across his torso, but the savage attack had given the street fighter a deep respect for Aurie. He left the scar to let the demon know that he was valued as an equal.

“You know ‘ow to flatter a mate, Cutter,” Aurie grinned.

The two made their way through the bustling population, the body heat of elf-kind seemingly warmer than that of the typical human. Soon enough, the two were at the door to the hotel, looking at the simple wooden door and its shiny brass handle. Zack looked to Aurelianus with a grin, cracking the knuckles on each hand in the process. “Ready to meet our mystery date?”

“Cutter, if they’re as pretty a chit as Ags, I’m more than ready, if you get my drift.” The two laughed as Zack opened the door.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about! You sound like a self-help book! I don't know if you're going to try to hit me or charge me $99 for your seminar! ~ Benimaru Nikaido to Ryo Sakazaki