Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Red
    Build
    5'10"/179lbs
    Job
    Guild Van

Arden took great care to listen to everything Rehtul said. He paid attention not just to the words that escaped the boy’s lips, but to his body language as well. The swordsman’s admiration for the ice mage grew. He leant back and sighed.

“You seem like an honest soul, Rehtul.” Arden raised an eyebrow inquisitively when the boy made no motion to object. “I fear one day that may come back to haunt you.”

“Good men usually feel the wrath of ‘evil’ for their endeavour.” He said it as if he were mimicking a relative’s supposedly wise words.

“That sounds familiar,” Arden smirked.

“Uncle,” was all Rehtul said in reply.

Arden pictured the great Sei Orlouge as he had seen him last. He fought with wings bespeckled with dust, frown earnest and grim, and his twin-blades bloody. They had fought alongside one another in defence of Ixian Castle. Cassandra Remi had been their mutual adversary then, and now, it was the Empire.

“You should not be so hard on the man,” Arden offered. He poured them both another drink, practically forcing it into the boy’s glass with a fetching star. “Despite his…somewhat spurious methods, he only has his family and the ‘greater good at heart.” Arden set the decanter back onto the desk, and the increasingly hollow sound it made filled the chamber with a jubilant atmosphere.

“I’m sure he does,” Rehtul replied dryly. His earlier enthusiasm for oration seemed to have vanished.

Arden leant forwards, rested his chin in his hands, and stared at nothing in particular. For a while, he let the room swelter. The ancient bookcases, lined with mundane records and historical accounts leaders teemed with self-importance. Moisture beaded on his brow, and dust settled in the eaves and rafters. His red hair remained the only dash of true colour in the room, save for Rehtul.

“You seem like you need help,” Arden said. Before Rehtul could reply, he clarified. “Wherever or not you realise it, Ruby has done a good thing bringing you here.” He broke free from his reflective pose, and downed his drink. The previously fiery whiskey now tasted like nectar, thick, sweet, and fresh from the flower.

“I’m still not convinced,” Rehtul mumbled. He was calculating every syllable that they had exchanged, trying to find the catch.

“If I offered you a place amongst the Scourge, to put your mind and heart to freeing Scara Brae from the Empire forever…what would you say?” Arden did not see the point in delaying the question any longer.

Arden did not attempt to hide his anticipation. His smile was charming. His pose regal. His indomitable position behind the grand desk was intimidating to all save Rehtul.

"I'd say yes, of course," replied the Ice Mage. "What would I have to do?"

Arden smiled.

"Turn up. Be you as you are," was his well rehearsed reply.
    Last edited by Mordelain; 11-04-13 at 04:24 PM.

Administrator
    EXP: 63,653, Level: 10
    Level completed: 88%, EXP required for next level: 1,347
    Level completed: 88%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,347
    GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroké
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    175lbs -- 6'
    Job
    Grandmaster Assassin

View Profile
    Arden receives:

• 624 EXP!
    • 52 GP!

Rehtul Orlouge receives:

• 451 EXP!
    • 52 GP!

Ruby receives:

• 278 EXP!
    • 26 GP!
    "All mortal men possess the capacity to do evil. Some are simply more capable than others."
    - Anonymous

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12