Thread: Tips for constructing settings with words

GP

Name
    Poe
    Race
    Officially, Hegido, but Poe has since declared himself one of no race.
    Hair Color
    Brownish-Blonde
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    3 feet/52 lbs

View Profile

Tips for constructing settings with words

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some feedback on writing out settings.

I feel my ability to develop characters, write funny/inventive dialogue, and build conflicts aren't that bad.

My weakness is being descriptive, establishing the setting and mood that makes the rest of the piece so powerful.

Do you guys have any tips or hints for becoming a better writer in that regard?

Wayward Scribe
    EXP: 24,427, Level: 6
    Level completed: 64%, EXP required for next level: 2,573
    Level completed: 64%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,573
    GP

Name
    Luned Bleddyn
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Chestnut
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'4"/Average
    Job
    Chronicler

View Profile
    Not particularly fancy or inventive, but when I know it's an important moment for a setting, I go back and read for all the senses. Not that it should read like a laundry list, but try using descriptors that engage multiple senses at once (i.e., "dank" for a sewer can allude to a musty smell plus a cool, clammy feeling). Don't underestimate senses like taste, which might not be easy to incorporate most of the time, but can add another layer. Try not to get stuck in just the visuals.
    • • • art

Il'Jhain Runner
    EXP: 20,399, Level: 6
    Level completed: 6%, EXP required for next level: 6,601
    Level completed: 6%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,601
    GP

Name
    Mordelain Saythrou
    Race
    Tama
    Hair Color
    Red
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'12"/155llbs
    Job
    il'Jhain

View Profile
    First and foremost it depends on your style, intended impact, and genre.

There's a suitable approach for everyone, and it always takes trial and error finding it.

If you give us the above, I could go into more helpful detail

EXP: 826, Level: 1
    Level completed: 42%, EXP required for next level: 1,174
    Level completed: 42%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,174
    GP

Name
    Aullos Morkotar
    Race
    Elven
    Hair Color
    Blond
    Eye Color
    Sapphire
    Build
    5'11.5" / 163 lbs.
    Job
    Performance Artist

View Profile
    The best way to work both "setting" and "mood" at the same time (IMHO) is through literary devices. Finding metaphors that not only flow well but give the feel you want is key. Here's a quick, not great example. First one is straight up description, second one will incorporate more of the senses, and third one will include a couple literary devices.

Morkotar walked to the front door and knocked, passing the flag pole with its flag waving in the wind along the way.

Morkotar's boots crackled over the brown lawn, the smell of dead grass reaching his nose as he passed a flagpole with flag snapping in the wind.

Morkotar's boots crackled over brown lawn, the smell of dead grass invading his nose. He brushed against the cold metal of the flagpole as he passed, hearing the flag flutter in the wind like a bird's wings.

None of these are "great writing", but hopefully you can see how the inclusion of different elements makes a difference. If I wanted to add a note of foreboding, for example, I could have compared the waving flag to a cat's tail, or the snapping flag to a wolf's jaws. The great thing about metaphors is they don't just build a better word picture, they can also help build suspense and give insight to the character's way of thinking.

Loremaster
    EXP: 72,114, Level: 11
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 4,886
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,886
    GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6' / 175 pounds
    Job
    Former chef, aimless wanderer, Pagoda Master, and self-professed Salvic Rebel Leader ™.

Properly placed small details make a huge difference. Put yourself in your character's shoes, and imagine what it would be like to exist in that environment. If it's a frozen wasteland, are his fingers and toes numb from the cold? Is the sun on the snowy earth blinding him? Don't go overboard, but try to make the reader feel what the character would be feeling, figuratively speaking.

All that said, you rarely need a tedious account of every detail in the environment. Figurative language and the right broad strokes allow the readers to do half the work and fill in the rest with their imagination.
    Last edited by Christoph; 08-20-13 at 01:13 PM.

Administrator
    EXP: 81,363, Level: 12
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 8,637
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,637
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    Don't sacrifice brevity for descriptiveness, as it will interupt the pace of your writing. Morkotar's examples certainly paint a picture, but they are also run-on sentences that detract from the pace of the thread (incidentally, it's also unclear who is the subject of the sentence).

Here's how I would change it:

"The decaying lawn beneath Morkotar's feet cracked with each step he took. At the same time, a wild wind whipped around him, causing the putrid smell of dead grass to enter his nostrils."

In one sentence, it would be:

"The decaying law beneath Morkotar's feet cracked with each step he took, while a wild wind whipped around him."

In essense, I've told the reader the grass is dead and it is windy without invoking the flag pole in different sentences. As you can see, the more I simply the sentence, the more the other stuff (references to the pole & the scent) becomes unnecessary. Of course, this would change if you were trying to make the pole or the scent the subject of the sentence, which it didn't seem like you were trying to do here.
    Althanas Operations Administrator

Dirks GP amount: 2949