Maroon
    Build
    5'2 / 119lb
    Job
    Cleansing One

View Profile

Matriarch's Wish

Out of Character:
    This thread is closed to Sir Artemis and is part 4 of Azza's Exodus storyline and follows about a day or so after "He Who Waits for She Who Dreams." Perspectives will be in the first person from Artemis and Azza. Words that are within <for example> will be assumed to be spoken in Farien, the indigenous language of the people of Se'lutia and the language of Azza's kind.

Threads in (near) Chronological Order, leading up to Matriarch's Wish
    Dreamscapes and Perhaps More
    Children of the Shattered Moon
    Just Another Year
    Forever Young
    Growing Up Fast
    The Colors of Grey
    Prudence
    Following Your Footsteps
    Serenti Semi-finals: Christina Bredith vs. Orphans

Prologue to Exodus
    Perspective of Fate (Solo)
    Of the Old and Young (Solo)

Exodus Storyline
    Price of Passage
    Songs of the Heart
    He Who Waits for She Who Dreams
    Matriarch's Wish (This Thread)

"You manipulated her."

"Yes... you could say that, but what began as my selfish need for closure has blossomed into something far more."

"And if she doesn't agree?"

"...then she will choose to punish my hubris and I must be ready for it."
    Last edited by orphans; 01-02-16 at 01:08 PM.
    Current Adventures:
    None

Party:
    None

Recently Done:
    Following...
    Perspective...
    Price...
    Songs...
    He Who Waits...
    Matriarch's...

EXP: 30,152, Level: 7
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 4,848
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,848
    GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Dovicarus (Cleansing One)
    Hair Color
    White to Gray
    Eye Color
    Maroon
    Build
    5'2 / 119lb
    Job
    Cleansing One

View Profile
    It's hard to believe I had forgotten so much about my kind, about myself, and the promise I made so long ago to a landbound to defy fate. Yet, as I wander through this frozen wasteland of a country called Seoyruun, I can't help but wonder if I'm still trapped in the currents of inevitability. It's funny how an arrow to my head was the means to unlocking my memories. But, for the moment I am content to remember rather who I was, and reflect on who I am now.

I am - I was known as Azza of Farinma, a warrior to the Farinman Order and by the standards of my kind, I was a prideful and impulsive being. Being as young as I was then, I didn't care to prove them wrong. I eagerly threw myself into the Myirrua Unification War of my home realm of Vyanm, because the elders commanded. They had declared in the name of balance a need to curb human ambition. I saw it as a chance to prove my value.

Yet, it wasn't until the years dragged to decades and the flames of war consumed much of the continent and threatened to spill out to the rest of the world did I begin to do the unthinkable. To question my very Matriarch bordered on heresy. My brothers and sisters around me neither seemed to care nor understand that we were destroying the lives of countless landbound while the elders simply followed the Matriarch's plan. It was then that I realized I had never felt more small and insignificant in all my life. Above all, I realized just how alone I was even though I was surrounded by my order.

During those desperate times, a human girl sought to befriend me and in loneliness I accepted. At the time I denied the true meaning of our camaraderie. She was, after all, the child strategist of the doomed faction I pretended to serve while "summoned" as a demon familiar to the kingdom. Our time together would never last as I had been commanded to sap their strength slowly with ill-fated engagements against one of my brothers, a supposed angel to champion the righteous causes of justice. Even so, the burden of ending her life was to fall on my shoulders.

However, my kind ever never expected the child strategist I served to display such an unrivaled brilliance in her command of battlefield tactics. Coil's breath... there were even moments when I felt jubilation beyond my wildest imaginations when we achieved victories against all odds, only to be brought low knowing that I had failed my one given task.

In the end, I never imaged that she would see through our ruse so quickly and easily. And to think that she was able to piece together the fragmented puzzle of what was happening better than I left me in shock. She knew her nation was doomed, guessed I wasn't a demon and that my brother opposite the field wasn't an angel. Eternity's grace, the girl even haphazard a guess that the two of us were in league together during a private meeting and that made me panic. I was never strong of mind and at the time I only knew to solve my own problems with violence.

I should have killed her.

After all, she was just another landbound and after the thousands of lives I had already stolen, what was one more? But I didn't. Even when I had my sword starting to bite into the side of her neck, I couldn't and she knew it too. Somehow, she forgave me and instead offered a plan to escape both our predicaments. All she needed was time... and all I needed to do was break the laws of my order. It all sounded so simple then but with each step I take in this frozen wasteland towards a city that calls my name, I still wonder what it was all for.

I had thought that when my memories began returning, that when I remembered everything or nearly everything, that I would have the answers to my questions. Well, I suppose I do have answers to whom and what I am. In its place, the festering question of why I am here on this continent of Se'lutia continues to plague me. After all, I would be a fool now if I couldn't recognize the imprint of my kind upon this land... nearly just as strong as the imprint of my kind's mountain monastery. My home. My old home.

When did this happen? That I began to feel that this world is my home now? In just a few short years past a decade of living here, this world... this, Althanas, feels more home than my world of Vyanm ever did. Even now a smile stretches itself across my lips as my mind wanders to all of the fond memories I've had despite my brief existence in this realm. The very thought that all of it could be over soon makes my heart twinge in pain. Will I ever be able to visit my orphanage matron, Mother Holly, again when all this is over? It might be a small thing to miss, but I did enjoy the closeness when she braided my hair and told me stories of this world. Of days spent in a simple life and effortless joys of just feeling the sunshine upon one's face. Of days just wandering Underwood... well, I suppose right now in the middle of a civil war it might not be so wonderful.

And what of my adoptive father, Jensen Ambrose? An immortal forever blessed and cursed to live a life of ephemeral happiness and never ending loss. I know that I've done little to ease his pain with this selfish journey of mine. Would he still accept me now with all my changes? Could he still love a being that interferes with the fates of his kind?

Sei Orlouge as well... what would he think if he knew? The leader of the Ixian Knights and my father's employer - a man caught in the middle between the Rangers of Corone and the Empire's civil war. Without a doubt, a man like him could benefit from the abilities of my former self. But what if I disagree with his agenda and choose to side with the forces he isn't aligned with?

A quick shake of my head released me of my thoughts. As I stared ahead of myself across the white canvas of snow-covered lands, I could see the city of Arfezeria shimmering faraway against the night sky. From somewhere beyond, carried to me by the unending frozen winds, I could hear the familiar songs of the people that inhabit this land. I didn't know what they were singing about when I first arrived, but now I could understand. They sang in prayer for a better day. They sang in hope of peace. Above all, they sang for forgiveness from whoever Mahana was. It was a name I didn't recognize, but then again, why should I? After all, I was the worst scholar and thinker of my hatching.

Part of me wished that I had retained the lessons in more detail, because as much as all of the aforementioned questions boiled in my mind, there was a more immediate concern. Primarily, where in Coil's wisdom did my clothing disappear to and why are plants sprouting upon the spots that I step?
    Last edited by orphans; 01-25-16 at 12:28 PM.
    Current Adventures:
    None

Party:
    None

Recently Done:
    Following...
    Perspective...
    Price...
    Songs...
    He Who Waits...
    Matriarch's...

GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Hair Color
    White to Gray
    Eye Color
    Maroon
    Build
    5'2 / 119lb
    Job
    Cleansing One

View Profile
    Still, walking alone in silence was something that had never bothered me. Back before I was reborn, I did so to avoid the pitying eyes of my kind at how crass I was and the baleful stares of those that I fought alongside. Pretending to be a demon certainly didn't earn me any favors with the landbound. When I was younger in Underwood, I had wandered beneath the boughs of the forest in ever wondering exploration. Everything was new then. I was even curious enough to try some slime growing on a rock because I had seen a wild boar do so.

Now I'm not so sure. With nothing but the sharp, cold wind to wrap around my body, the white snow to caress my feet, and the flood of memories to shield my heart, I waver. Even the sight of the full moon above framed by the countless stars did little to comfort me as it had done in my younger years.

... What if all of this is just one big mistake? Something tells me that I was meant to be here and that the ancient city shimmering in the distance holds the answers.

But what if-

<"YOU'RE WRONG, GUI'LUK!"> The booming voice echoed in my ears as I rounded a rocky outcropping. Before me, two large armored bull-like humans were glaring at one another with their faces nearly touching. I couldn't help but eye the great axe that one had resting against a shoulder while the other creature hefted a giant blade in a single hand with a shield slung on his back. Tulartars were what Erieai had called them. Behind them was a campsite with several small fires that were crowded by an assortment of other creatures. <"The Skalu Hudie isn't what the elders thought. She didn't kill us and instead spared us! Can't you see?">

The one with the great axe, Gui'luk apparently, gave the one with sword ad shield a push. <"I see nothing but a spineless coward! Who made you speaker for the elders, Sui'en? You know just as well as I that we're soldiers and our orders are to kill the World Ender. If you won't kill her then you're a traitor!">

<"I'm not the only one that feels this way, Gui'luk! Open your damn eyes!"> Sui'en shoved back with a free hand.

<"There she is!"> a voice shouted from one of the campfires.

All eyes spun to me and for a brief moment the world stood still aside from the crackling of wood in various fires. Inwardly, I cursed at my own foolishness for letting my mind wander so much. I should have been more aware. Knowing that I would likely turn into a pin cushion if I tried to run, my mind raced on what options I had. I raised both hands slowly to show I was unarmed, though being naked already confirmed that, and uttered rather stupidly, <"Uh, hi.">

I had barely finished my greeting when two sets of orders were bellowed, one from each of the tulartars:

<"KILL HER!">
    <"GUARD THE SKALU!">

Well this is awkward.

Almost immediately, a feline rose with a bow drawn and a moment later an arrow whistled past and I felt blood beginning to seep from a cheek. Another flew in swiftly and this time I threw my arms up in desperation with no expectation of anything useful to happen. To my surprise the air before me crackled and suddenly shimmered with a barrier. When the arrow struck, light burst outwards and a second later someone was yelling in pain while I found myself sprawled in the snow.

Then pandemonium erupted. Several reptilian creatures, skegulls, ran at me with spears raised only to be intercepted by a group of the mice-like ioaiis as they practically flashed into position before my eyes. The two tulartars were done exchanging words and were now trading blows that made their steel sing out against the din of screams and frantic shouts. Something grabbed my arm roughly, making me lash out with a bare fist. It met the maw of a wulven man who only grunted before yelling, <"You daft girl! Get up! The faithful can't protect you here! Move!>"

I tried to speak, but with my jaws locked in fear I did little to protest as he dragged me to my feet and began running for cover towards what I assumed was a friendly shield wall while the dead and dying continued to grow quickly in number. Arrows rained against the kite shield my protector held and for once in my life I thanked my short stature and gifted stamina.
    Last edited by orphans; 01-09-16 at 12:44 PM.
    Current Adventures:
    None

Party:
    None

Recently Done:
    Following...
    Perspective...
    Price...
    Songs...
    He Who Waits...
    Matriarch's...

Hand of Virtue
    EXP: 87,799, Level: 12
    Level completed: 84%, EXP required for next level: 2,201
    Level completed: 84%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,201
    GP

Name
    Artemis Eburi
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown and Gray
    Eye Color
    Piercing Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Smith

“Something feels wrong about all this . . .” I turned to look at Jackal, his words breaking the silence of the ride. He rubbed a hand atop his jet black hair, his blue eyes looking away as though looking for answers. He was right though. The tension was palpable within the compact little vehicle; Erieai had called it an MGP, which she said stood for mobile gun platform.

The group sat quietly within while Erieai barked commands at her fellow eluvians to keep the MGP on track. It was as though a horse carriage had its top cut off and been made of steel, and instead of the horses there was a massive gun the likes of which even Victor Callahan the gunslinger would have feared. And yet it was somewhat relieving that it was ours to control.

The look on everyone’s faces showed they weren’t in much better spirits. I sat in the back beside Jackal and Pell. Maybel sat beside Inta on the left side of the MGP with Oswald and Holly across from them, speaking quietly amongst themselves with the sound of the MGP washing away the rest. The front was left to Erieai and the crew.

“I get the same feeling,” I finally answered Jackal after many moments of silence. “I can’t say what it is, I can’t even begin to guess, but something definitely is wrong. It’s unsettling.”

Pell looked up and across jackal at me with a look of concern, his golden eyes softly glowing. “I hope you aren’t second-guessing your decision. Hesitation in times like this will get you killed.”

“It’s not hesitation,” I answered, lifting my gaze toward Erieai as she looked out the small slit at the front of the vehicle. “If anything, it’s a sort of anxiety. I feel like I have to be on alert without rest. My nerves are on edge.”

“Good,” Jackal responded, tossing a knife into the air playfully. It was a habit of his to pass the time, and one he was quite good at. “I’d rather your nerves on edge than dull. Stay alert or die.”

It wasn’t just words for the sake of it. I saw it in his eyes. They were scanning for trouble, or for any sign of concern. A moment later, they locked on something ahead of us as he stood up, steadying himself and holding onto his seat as he did.

“Hey Pell . . .” Jackal began, but before he could say something more, Maybel rose as well and looked off into the same direction.

“That’s Arfezeria. But . . . those don’t look like ruins. It looks brand new. Wasn’t it destroyed?”

With that, Oswald rose and looked out for only a few seconds, concern splashed across his face as clearly as any emotion I had ever seen him wear. “It was,” he answered, slowly sitting back down and looking at Holly.

Silence washed over the group again as we all resumed our seats. I turned looking out behind us, watching the trail of vegetation drift away – the only remnants of Sophia that we had to go by. I couldn’t believe all this had to do with that sweet little girl. She looked like she didn't even know how to use a sword. I saw her as more interested in stories and history than war, yet she seemed to be at the center of it all.

It was all so foreign. I had left Corone a couple months ago it seemed, and all on an impulse. Now, sitting here, it all felt so surreal; so distant. I don’t mean literally distant – Thaynes only know how far I literally was from the island of Corone. But everything was so strange and different here that I felt like I was distant in time as well. It’s hard to think back on my friends – Jay, Bazzak, Nalin, and all the rest – without feeling like I’ll never see them again. Not because I fear for my life, though that’s a very real threat as well, but because I feel like I’m hundreds of years apart from them and I’m living in a dream.

Only a few minutes passed before MGP rounded a bend, and suddenly we could see countless bodies alongside us as we rolled past. Everyone’s eyes darted around the vehicle as the adrenaline began. I heard a sharp shriek and turned to see a massive tulartar crushing the head of a cattyan that he held in his grasp. The howl was the last thing the creature could do before its head popped like a ripe grape. I watched as two wulven, both limping quite severely, moved toward the remaining tulartar.

“Hold,” Oswald commanded, his outstretched arm emphasizing the message. He hopped out of the vehicle, quite nimbly for his age I might add, and started to walk toward the trio of beastmen. His sword remained sheathed as Holly followed, and thereafter the rest of us as well. We all stood half a dozen yards from them, exchanging glances in silence.

The tulartar looked up at us, his loud voice rumbling as he asked what to him was a simple and straightforward question: "Faithful or no?"
    Last edited by SirArtemis; 01-09-16 at 02:04 PM.
    2011 Althy Winner - Most Realistic Character
    2016 Althy Winner - Best Contributor & Player of the Year (tie)

Artemis Eburi Wiki Page
    Current Character Profile

Solo Quests:
    Hidden Beneath The Canopy (75)
    Lost Loot of Lornius (74)

Hand of Virtue
    GP

Name
    Artemis Eburi
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown and Gray
    Eye Color
    Piercing Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Smith

Honestly, I had no idea what to do; what was meant by his words or why we were attempting to communicate rather than slay this beast was a mystery. Then again, that’s why I wasn’t the leader – I suppose I had become the muscle . . . sort of.

Oswald stepped forward, gesturing with his hands and speaking what I could only imagine was a foreign language. The tulartar scoffed in what seemed like amusement in response.

“What’s he saying?” I asked, turning to Jackal.

“Who?”

“Oswald obviously. You know, the one who made what sounded like words.”

“He said we’re here to protect the girl.” Jackal smirked as he said it.

“To be more precise,” Maybel intruded, “He said we vary but we all mean to protect the girl.

“Vary in what?” I asked, but before Maybel could answer the tulartar began to speak again, and Maybel whispered into my ear in translation as the conversation went on.

<”I've heard that Children of the East are strange in their beliefs, but if you mean to protect the Skalu, then we are of the same cloth.”> The tulartar’s voice sounded gravelly as he eyed Holly, then walked toward me. Maybel stepped away as the tulartar spoke and pointed at me.

“He says you smell funny! Told you it’s the suit!” Jackal said, lurching forward in laughter.

Pell only sighed at Jackal’s reaction. “He actually said you smell of distant shores.”

< “The girl is my charge and the other is with me. We are bound by honor and creed to save her,”> Holly responded, as Maybel resumed translating. Everything seemed so precarious in that moment. I simply stood there, my eyes locked with the tulartar. I could feel him scrutinizing me. I lifted my forearm and rubbed my bracer with my other hand, adjusting it slightly. A few yards behind the beast, the wulven hastened to bind their still-open wounds while Oswald looked upon the tulartar warily.

<“Those faithful to the Skalu and she are being pursued. They fled into the dead forest to the west towards Arfezeria. We three will follow when we can.”>

As the tulartar spoke, one of the two wulven hurried forward. <"Wait! Bring me along with you. My brother, he guides the girl and will not hesitate to fight those of the east."> Its voice was more guttural than gravelly, like that of the massive tulartar, with a touch of wheeziness due to his wound.

Oswald nodded in acceptance at the offer and motioned for Inta to aid him. The woman hesitated for only a moment, mumbling to Pell as she passed him by. “I swear . . . if it bites me . . .” I smiled at hearing it, watching her move off to help the wulven.

As quickly as we had come, the brief exchange had ended and the group returned to the MGP. Erieai, absent of the whole exchange, immediately protested at the prospect of allowing an enemy aboard. “Save the girl, more important than fighting,” was all the wulven had to say in response. I could see her cheeks flush with embarrassment, and she quickly turned away and started the MGP off toward the forest.

“What language was that?” I asked Pell as we returned to our seats.

“Farien. It’s more of the old traditional tongue of the land. It’s not used as often any more except among the beast tribes, but everyone learns it. Except Jackal.”

“What can I say? Let the language die. It’s already more than half way there,” Jackal added, tossing his knife again.

“Artemis!” Erieai yelled. “Here, show the wulven how to use this,” she said as she tossed me a rifle.

“Really? Of all people in this MGP you choose me?”

“Consider it a test. We’ll see how well I taught you; or more precisely, how well you listen. If we get in a fight he may as well be useful. It doesn’t look like he’s in any shape to brawl any time soon.”

“Oh I can’t wait to see this,” Jackal said with another smirk.

“Shut up Jackal,” was all I could add. If I didn’t know any better, I would be convinced my life was a comedy. Admittedly though, the way things were going, this was certainly going to end in tragedy.
    Last edited by SirArtemis; 01-09-16 at 01:35 PM.

Artemis Eburi Wiki Page

Solo Quests:

GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Hair Color
    White to Gray
    Eye Color
    Maroon
    Build
    5'2 / 119lb
    Job
    Cleansing One

View Profile
    My lungs burned as I rasped in air desperately and yet I didn't dare slow down. Deformed shapes of blackened trunks blurred by me as low hanging branches raked at my bare skin. All the while arrows thudded in snow behind me, against the wood of the trees and clattered against the steel shield my protector held as he kept pace with me.

Suddenly the ground was a few inches lower than I anticipated and with a scream I pitched forward as the snow raced up to meet me. Then my vision began tumbling before something collided with one of my horns. With the world ringing and spinning as I came to a stop, I felt a hand drag me up and press me close. A second later the sound of arrow heads on metal grated in my ears. Without pausing he hurled both me and himself behind a fallen tree nearby.

Screams, shouts and voices continued to echo around us amongst the trees. In this brief moment of respite, both of us pull in the frozen air in heavy heaves. <"Hells... should have expected the fucking cats to have a few waiting in the trees,"> my guardian practically snarled as he tightened the straps of his shield. Whatever the case might have been, the numbers that protected me had dwindled considerably and the dark forest did us little favors when the arrows began to pick us off one by one.

<"Take this and keep running till you see the Field of Stars. Cross that and seek out my kind"> Without waiting for my answer, the wulven pressed a long dagger into my hands and then with a hasty shove, leapt over the fallen tree with his sword drawn. A mighty howl bellowed out from somewhere and my guardian answered quickly in kind along with others. A plume of flame erupted overhead and sent droplets of melted snow and burning bark scattering everywhere. <"Run!">

Scrambling to my feet in the slush I started sprinting again in the same direction as before. Not entirely sure what a field of stars would look like, I stopped to glance back in hopes he was following. Instead, I saw a reptilian attacker harrying the wulven with its spear and occasional bursts of magic. There was a sharp whistle followed by an arrow flying out of the gloom that struck my left shoulder, knocking me down onto the snow again. Screaming did little to alleviate the pain but for the first time in a long time I felt true anger rising in my heart.

Tightening my hold on the dagger I crawled as best I could to the cover of another tree. A quick motion wedged the blade into the trunk to free my hand. A small tug on the shaft sent shocks down my entire left side, but I didn't have the luxury of waiting - I was going to need both my hands to get out of this alive. Gritting my teeth together and bracing myself against the tree, I tore the arrow away and screamed again at the pain despite my best efforts to keep in my voice.

A rustle above me had me look up to see a shape dropping down. Without thinking, I rolled away just as a cattyan plunged down only to lodge its sword where I had been a moment before. Grasping at anything to help steady myself, I latched onto what felt like an exposed tree root and pulled hard to right myself. With a yell, I got up and threw myself against the feline, managing to catch a hint of surprise in its eyes before we both crashed into the slick ground.

A burning sensation ran down my back as I felt the razor claws of the beast dig into my flesh and with no weapon of my own, I was beginning to feel very idiotic. Yet with every punch I threw I could feel the vitality slipping from my opponent, even as she continued to claw and hiss at me. That didn't stop her from controlling the grapple however, as we both tumbled about until I was pinned against the base of the tree with the feline's hands coiled around my neck. Blinding pain shot through my mind as she forced her weight down further, crushing my wings more and more beneath me. <"Die rat!">

Rage welled up at my predicament and suppressed what could have been fear. In spite of being at the disadvantage with my vision starting to fade, I gripped at the fingers tightening about me with one hand while the other scrounged for anything to gain leverage. Touching a familiar handle, I tore it out of the bark before swinging with all my remaining strength. A wet crunch sounded soon after as I saw surprise for the second time in the cat's eyes. Slowly, they glossed and lost their light with the much appreciated relaxing of her grip. Even then, the dead body tried to smother me and with a choking gasp, I shoved the corpse off me.

Without much pause besides to regain my breath, I began searching the body for anything that might be useful. Clothing came to mind but with my given time, I settled on stripping off a belt attached with a dagger and sheath. With that looped around my waist I looked about for the sword and found it standing stuck between a tangle of roots. As I took stock of everything so far, I could feel my wings aching badly and that my body and neck were most assuredly bruised. Somehow I managed a chuckle at the miracle of still being alive and wondered briefly if all this was planned too.
    Last edited by orphans; 01-09-16 at 04:26 PM.
    Current Adventures:
    None

Party:
    None

Recently Done:
    Following...
    Perspective...
    Price...
    Songs...
    He Who Waits...
    Matriarch's...

Hand of Virtue
    GP

Name
    Artemis Eburi
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown and Gray
    Eye Color
    Piercing Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Smith

The ride dragged on, bodies peppering the land alongside the line of fauna we were following. After teaching the wulven how to use a rifle, who introduced himself later as Ing Ehren, I asked Pell to switch seats with me and I began asking Maybel for some explanations. The entire time I had been on this island, far from my home in Salvar, I had continuously felt like a leaf floating on water. I’ve had little control of my fate, and yet something inside me told me all of this was happening for a reason.

To escape from it all and reflect on what Maybel told me, I found myself closing my eyes and withdrawing into the magical realm of my sentient bow, Judicis, which passively took on the form of a white bracer upon my left wrist. Now, sitting in the study of a magical realm, a room floating in a void of nothingness, I talked it all out with the spirit.

Judicis and I sat in comfortable velvet chairs, with high backs and soft fabric. The room was small, walled with bookshelves and a soft carpet beneath us. A small mahogany coffee table sat between us as we sipped tea and stared into the cracking flames of the fireplace. I had become accustomed to this, but to the normal person this would all seem bizarre, as for example there was no ceiling – just infinite blackness like a starless night sky.

“Quite the interesting story,” Judicis began, sipping at his tea. He took the form of an elderly man when I visited his realm; he had some resemblance almost to Oswald. He had a finely trimmed beard and head of white hair, cropped relatively short but long enough to have some character. He wore an immaculate black suit with matching shoes, sitting cross legged just two meters away.

“It is. But I’m not sure I quite understand it all, or even remember it.”

“Well, how about you talk it out with me and I’ll correct you where I may. After all, my memory is more efficient than your own.” He chuckled at his humor, and I grinned in return. After all, one of Judicis’ abilities was that he stored everything in a person’s memory the moment they came in contact with him. Anyone who had wielded the bow over a span of millennia had had their memories duplicated and filed away into the sentient weapon, even the things that individual couldn’t rightly bring forth in any particular moment. That was the symbolism of his library – or so he had told me. I had once looked at some of the books, and I noticed the spines of all were names of people. Whereas their size appeared small, their magic made the pages turn without turning, and thus the story could go on into infinity; or at least until the memories stopped.

“Let’s see,” I began, trying to sort through all the information Maybel had given me, and that which I had collected along the way. “So people came to this island of Se’lutia under someone they call Mahana nearly two thousand years ago, during the time of the demon wars. A generation later, an atrocity committed by those who came brought down Mahana’s wrath upon the land, bringing destruction to the city of Arfezeria, the place we are now going.

"The destruction of Arfezeria split the island into two extremes – frozen lands to the east and the jungles to the west. In pure contempt, those with fur were sent to swelter in the heat of the jungles, and those with bare skin were sent east to the frozen wastes, to contend with the natural worlds. Now, what I don’t quite understand is what exactly prevented the communication of one half of the island to the other.”

“Mmm,” Judicis responded with a nod. “Well, so far you’ve been accurate. As Maybel speculates, the city of Arfezeria may have something a bit odd about it. He and the other magi sense a disturbance in magical energy sourced from that location, and that disruption strengthens as one approaches. Perhaps there is more to it than he or any others yet know.”

“That makes sense,” I agreed. “After all, they say magic is extremely abundant and always has been, but from what I know the land of Althanas is rather lacking so something is up with this place. That goes back to their mana cleansing ritual. It looks like there’s too much magic; so much so that if it overflows, one gets poisoned by the mana and can die; though apparently those of the beast tribes are more resistant to magic, and limited in their magic, which prevents mana poisoning. As Maybel describes it, the magical energy left behind is both a gift and a curse.

“Then we get to how the island has remained a mystery for so long. Mahana’s ancient spell wove a cloak of sorts over the land to hide it from demons, given the point of history. And that’s a point of connection between new and old, so to speak. The language that wulven spoke, Ing, appears to be the old tongue in which magic was written and invoked, or at least on Se’lutia. What was it called again?”

“Farien,” Judicis added with a smile. “Remember, it’s only the language of magic here. Magical invocations and tomes are not always in the Farien language once outside of the borders of Se’lutia. Still, you’re doing well. I’m not sure why you’re so hard on yourself and feel you’ve jumbled it. Let’s keep going. It seems we’ve almost covered what we know so far.”

With a nod I continued. “There’s the eluvian people as well. The most interesting thing about them seems to be linked to magic as well, and song. As the people of Se’lutia believe, song holds the power to better direct and channel the flow of magic. In their history, they have had very few of whom they know as Song Evokers, all thirteen of which were of eluvian descent.

“Then there’s the damn grezicks that people were confusing me for.” Judicis chuckled, anticipating the frustrated comment. “So apparently they’re saturated with magical energy which is why their eyes glow. When the excavations of ancient machinery began, they realized the equipment appears more reactive to higher mana concentration. The domes themselves were originally just for necessity and survival, yet somehow in time turned into prisons of sorts.

“And finally there’s the connection with Sophia, the one they believe to be a Skalu Hudie, or the “Sky Shephard.” She is believed to be a prophet, and only one other has appeared in their two millennia of history – as far as they know. With the first prophet, the prophecy itself seems to have been born. ‘The first of us, punished. The second of us forgives. The third of us will bring balance.’ That seems to be what this is all about.”

“It seems we’ve come full circle back to the girl,” Judicis said with a nod. His expression seemed thoughtful rather than his typical smug all-knowing look. “The question now becomes ‘how much of what they believe they know is actually true?’ Certainly there are pieces that fit together and make sense, but there are absolutely more questions than answers. Even my archive gives me little, as I have nearly zero experience from those of this island, only snippets of stories. Perhaps some of the other members of the group may have little pieces that they can add, or new angles with which to shed light on the shadows of unknown.”

I took another sip of tea, my face now mimicking Judicis’ own. He was right of course. Sure, I knew now more than I knew before, but now there were so many more questions. And at the end of it all, my intuition was shouting at me about something which I couldn’t quite pinpoint; in my brief life, I had learned to trust that intuition. And the most important question of all was what is my intuition trying to tell me?
    Last edited by SirArtemis; 01-09-16 at 05:09 PM.

Artemis Eburi Wiki Page

Solo Quests:

GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Hair Color
    White to Gray
    Eye Color
    Maroon
    Build
    5'2 / 119lb
    Job
    Cleansing One

View Profile
    <"It's good to see you... still among the living, Skalu."> The familiar and gruff voice of my protector wheezed behind me as he sank down, leaning his back against the tree. His breath was being drawn in long rattled gasps and one glance told me why. Rather, I could see him holding what looked to be the end of a broken shaft that was protruding from his right side - the spear from the reptile if I had to guess. <"You should keep going. I just need... to rest a bit.">

Those words rang in my ears. How many times have I heard that exact phrase uttered by other men on the battlefields of bygone years? I could certainly count how many of them actually got better - none. <"No. Not yet.">

Annoyance flashed in his eyes as he tried to push me away when I came near. <"There might still be a few... around. The only thing I can do now..."> another pause as he coughed a bit of blood. <"Only thing I can do now is buy some time."> I didn't answer him and brushed his hand away from the broken haft and grasped it with both my hands. I looked to him and saw he was already bracing himself as best he could. Catching my eyes, he gave a hesitant nod and I pulled as hard as I could. Warm blood coated my hands as he snarled through clenched teeth.

I handed him a small flask I had found off of the cat earlier. <"Drink this.>" Through smell alone, I could tell it was an herbal poultice with nearly the same scent that my Mother Holly used to make for sick children. There was a skeptical look, but he didn't argue and drank. It certainly wasn't going to stop the bleeding and the most it could do was to take the edge off the pain. The very thought made tears begin to well in my eyes.

I didn't want to watch another protector of mine die. My adoptive mother had been the first and then many more in the Ixian Castle months ago when Cassandra Remi's plot came to fruition. I thought I had escaped all that when I took this journey to a faraway land, only to be seen as some sort of holy figure. And somehow, even my old orphanage matron was here to protect me. Me! A butcher in my past life of the landbound and all in the cruel name of balance. A rough hand suddenly brushed at my eyes. <"No time for those.">

He was right. If I have time to pity myself, I could certainly use it to help him, but how? <"What's your name?"> I asked, more to distract him as my mind feverishly tried to recall anything I could do to save him.

The wulven chuckled through a cough. Blood was filling his lung now. That much was obvious. <"Kau. Kau Ehren. It means strong growth, much like the plants that trailed behind your feet. To be able to grow in such a dead land."> Strong growth. The same like the plants re-growing in a dead land. Of course! A regeneration augment would save him, but how?

As if to answer my plea, tendrils of iridescent green seeped through the snow on the ground and coiled about my body. Indescribable warmth soon permeated my senses and without thinking, I reached out and touched the gaping wound in Kau's side. A moment passed and the tendrils disappeared along with the emerald glow. To my relief, his breathing became steady and a bewildered look dominated his eyes. <"Feel better?">

Standing, he twisted his frame back and forth then nodded with a grin that slowly turned to a frown as he spoke. <"Better than a full night's rest, but we've wasted enough time."> I frowned behind him as he began to move towards the direction we had been travelling. When I moved to follow, he suddenly held out a hand. <"Give me the sword and get on my back."> I had a feeling he wasn't going to take no this time.
    Last edited by orphans; 01-09-16 at 02:28 PM.
    Current Adventures:
    None

Party:
    None

Recently Done:
    Following...
    Perspective...
    Price...
    Songs...
    He Who Waits...
    Matriarch's...

Hand of Virtue
    GP

Name
    Artemis Eburi
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown and Gray
    Eye Color
    Piercing Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Smith

“Artemis,” Judicis began, leaning forward in his seat. “I have an idea. Let’s make some use of my ability. You have a collection of individuals sitting alongside you who likely have very different views and backgrounds on the world. Let’s consolidate them and sort through them together. Perhaps we can fill in some gaps that way.”

I looked over at him, then down into the golden-brown pool of tea that I gently swirled in my cup. I confess I needed answers, and perhaps this was the best way to do it. With a nod, I let my consciousness drift back into the real world.

When I awoke everyone sat quietly. Jackal had his arms crossed and leaned back, eyes closed, resting. Pell and Maybel were discussing something in whispers so as to not wake him. Holly and Oswald’s eyes were sharp and searching, as though their anxiety had reached a point where it would not let them rest. The wulven stood beside Erieai, to her displeasure, and simply watched their movements. Inta sat quietly as well, looking up at the starry sky.

“Everyone,” I said softly, “I need a favor from all of you.” Those who were awake turned to me, and I noticed Jackal crack an eyelid open to look. “It may seem odd, but I need all of you to place your hand on my bracer one at a time. I will explain later, but it is related to the sentient magic of my bow and will help me prepare for whatever is to come.”

Jackal let out a little chuckle, placing his hand upon it for a moment. “You’re a weird guy, you know that? Suit and all.” He then removed his hand and went back into his resting posture. I extended my arm around the MGP, allowing each member to do the same, and walked over to Erieai as well. She gave me a curious look but went along with it, and I sat back down. It didn’t seem as though much time had passed, and it was still night, so I nuzzled back into the corner of my seat and drifted back into Judicis’ world once again.

When I arrived in my usual seat, Judicis wore an exasperated expression, resting his head against the palm of his hand. “I must say, to say these people have conflicting views is an understatement, but at the very least we may be able to put some of the pieces together into a sort of story.”

I ran a hand through my hair, letting my eyes fall up into the blackness of the ceiling-less library, and prepared to listen. “You have the information this time, Judicis. So, tell me what you know.” Judicis set down his cup of tea, folding his hands over his mouth briefly before lowering them and beginning his monologue.

“Let us begin with Pell Ringmar, the grezick. Pell, for your own knowledge, is quite adept at augmentation magic; this has made him much more sensitive to the mana flow and shift within the land, and that is pointing him toward Arfezeria – thus his presence in the unit.

“Jackal Shavuk, as you can imagine, trusts practically no one. He is surprisingly one of the most knowledgeable of the group when it comes to the legends of the land, but they mean little to him. His presence is linked only to his cynical view that if the world were to end, he’d like it to happen to him first.

“Maybel Wallsmore, despite his often calculating demeanor, is soft at heart. He feels responsible for what happened to Sophia, and so he is coming to redeem himself – though as you recall he was nowhere near her when the incident occurred. He also seems to believe that there are issues regarding the mana of the land, and has some strange suspicious regarding you and the woman Holly – though I don’t have enough to tell you about that specifically.

“Inta Aludor, similar to Pell, senses flows of mana due to her grezick background. She has visited Arfezeria before, and she was used for her affinity to machinery that we’ve learned was important. She is quite fascinating because contrary to Jackal’s thorough knowledge of legends, her experiences in archeology have lead to many old journals painting a very different history of Se’lutia than most people believe. One of the most interesting is that Mahana, oddly enough, wed a wulven with whom she had a child. The stories are complex and quite interesting, but we won’t go into them deeply now.

“Oswald Ironmane too is a grezick sensing the flow, and is quite certain Mahana is a vengeful rather than benevolent goddess due to his own dark experiences of life. He is coming to prevent any sort of cataclysm that may come in relation to Sophia, and he will stop at nothing to prevent that sort of catastrophe even if it means killing the girl. Ideally, he intends to sway her from her path and prevent any harm from being possible.

“Then there is Oswald’s wife, though nobody knows that now except for you.” I raised my eyebrows at that comment, looking over at Judicis’ smirk. “Holly Ciders, or Holly Ironmane, is one of the most fascinating people I’ve come across, and certainly within your group. She has raised Sophia, or better known as Azza to her, for the majority of this child’s life. Surprisingly, she has a connection with an individual named Sakuya who may be quite pivotal in all this, though I can’t say more on that just yet. Her strength is growing as well, and along with her determination, she will stop at nothing to protect Azza. I will say that her memories came in fragmented, out of order, and there are many gaps, which very rarely has ever happened to me – it will be fascinating to discover why as time goes on.

“Finally, we have Erieai Ezraehie. The eluvian woman has quite the scientific backdrop to her life. Historically speaking, Se’lutia used to be much more technologically advanced, which is why the machinery at the archeological sites weaves magic into technology seamlessly. She also is quite aware that the mana saturation of Se’lutia has nearly reached a breaking point. However, she is here for Sophia, as she believes that the girl is the key to restoring the world, and she too will throw everything she has into this mission.

“That’s all I can add to the mix for now,” Judicis concluded, raising his still-hot cup of tea and sipping gently.

“Well,” I said, lowering my gaze from the blackness above and back at Judicis, “I suppose that’s a lot to take in. I’m going to head back. Something tells me it won’t be long now before whatever is going to happen happens. I need to be alert for that, and this is a lot to digest.”

“Artemis,” Judicis said, looking over at me with charged eyes. I met his gaze, so that he knew I was paying attention. “Stay alive. You may end up playing a larger role in this than you ever would have expected.”

I laughed at the gravity in his voice. “Regardless of whatever the hell does or does not happen, I have no intention of dying, so I’ll at least promise you I will do my best to avoid it.” With that, I let myself return to the MGP and opened my eyes, looking around among the seats and then up at the night sky. It was getting lighter; it would be morning soon. Looking over the edge I saw that we were approaching a forest.

“Can this thing even maneuver through a forest?” Jackal asked.

“Of course it can, you idiot.” Erieai added, turning back to cast a glare.

“There's an old road nearby that leads to Arfezeria,” Inta piped in. “It should still be serviceable."

“If Sophia is crossing through the forest she’ll have to cross the Field of Stars along the way.”

“Take the road,” Oswald ordered. “It will be faster than weaving through the trees I’m sure. Be on your guard everyone. We’re close.”
    Last edited by SirArtemis; 01-09-16 at 07:19 PM.

Artemis Eburi Wiki Page

Solo Quests:

GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Hair Color
    White to Gray
    Eye Color
    Maroon
    Build
    5'2 / 119lb
    Job
    Cleansing One

View Profile
    <"Aren't you getting tired?"> I managed to ask as I stared over Kau's shoulder. The wind was stinging my eyes at how fast he was running and there was a part of me fearing he would run into a tree. I didn't exactly relish the thought of flying off his shoulders at this speed.

<"I've never felt better!"> was the shout I received as he cleaved past a low hanging branch weighed down by snow - one that I didn't even see. Soon enough though, the way out of the forest appeared as did the break of dawn. Looking behind us as we emerged from the trees, I noted that the trail of plants was missing. <"There,"> my head turned to look to where he was pointing. <"That's Arfezeria. After we cross the Field of Stars, we should be able to find help from a wulven encampment nearby."> Aside from the city that he pointed at the only other thing to break the monotony of nature was a bridge that spanned the lake towards Arfezeria some ways off to the north.

<"Can we trust them? I mean... what if they're like the others hunting us?"> A grumble drifted from his muzzle and I could only guess what he thought. The possibility of being chased by more people certainly did not seem appealing to me nor Kau, at least from what I could gather from his reaction. Despite my question, he began to move towards the frozen lake and as we approached I could see why it was called as such. The surface of the lake was nearly glass-like, curiously free of snow and reflected the light of the rising sun. It was easily several miles wide in all directions with the opposite shore barely in view. However, as I squinted past the glare I could see spots below the surface in the inky depths that glowed like stars - millions of them. Nevertheless, I was worried and managed to blurt out just as Kau was about to step onto the lake, <"Is it safe to cross?>"

Kau laughed. <"We came through this way and if a dozen tulartars can stomp across it without worry, I'm sure we'll be fine."> Yet, somehow, I didn't feel comforted. As beautiful as the place was, it felt... wrong. If anything, as soon as Kau began to jog across, a wave of intense nausea washed over my senses and the world began to turn. My guardian must have noticed as he stopped and looked over his shoulder at me. <"Are you alright?">

<"Yes... just, my head started to hurt is all. I'll be fine."> A lie. I didn't know if I would be fine at all. It certainly didn't help that my body felt as though it was rebelling against me. <"I think if we get to the other side I'll be fine."> Kau said nothing but picked up the pace to a hurried run. Then suddenly as it started, the sensations ended and left me lightheaded. Kau was still running briskly across the surface and judging by the position of the sun, much more time had passed than I thought.

Kau slowed as we neared the center of the lake, panting softly as he craned his head to look at me. <"Feeling a bit better? You were mumbling a lot.">

<"What? Oh, yes. I feel much better now."> Whether or not it was my imagination, the world still felt as though it was shaking with a low grumbling coming from somewhere. Without warning a piecing screech sounded through the air followed by something large impacting the ice, nearly toppling Kau. Still, he came to rest on his hands and knees until the shaking stopped.

<"By Mahana's mercy... HOLD ON!"> The urgency in his voice told me this was something to just do as he tore his eyes away from whatever he saw under the surface before breaking out into a full sprint. Curiosity had me look down beneath the ice and I was immediately filled with regret. The glowing stars had begun moving while there was a massive shape gliding towards the surface quickly. The ice shuddered again with the sound of cracking accompanying it as long fissures raced rapidly out in all directions.

Gazing down through the cracking ice, I saw the monstrosity of a serpentine creature easily twice the size of the ship that I arrived on with a broad bone crest upon its head. Its circular maw was slightly agape with row after row of sharp teeth while its dozen or so eyes glared in our direction - I could feel hatred burning from them as it withdrew downwards to prepare for another charge. <"What in the world is that?!">

<"A legend!"> Well that doesn't help much and I doubted Kau was going to say more - he needed every breath to keep running and his focus to keep balance. But even a fool could see that it was impossible to reach the opposite shore at this pace. Kau was tiring and I was only a burden upon his back. Another shudder shook the ice and sent shards and water raining down. An anguished roar caused me to look back and upon seeing the crest of the beast above the surface I knew it was almost through. I didn't want to think about what would happen then.

But if we were going to make it out of this alive, Kau was going to need to run faster than he already was. My mind scrambled back to when I had augmented Kau's vitality to save him. I had drawn upon the very land to imitate re-growth, so perhaps the wind for speed? Focusing on that thought, I imagined the air parting before us and instead pushing at our backs, to fill his heaving lungs and to have the weight of the terrestrial world lifted away from us. Immediately, wisps of translucent cerulean wrapped about our forms and Kau's pace picked up rapidly.

For the first time since I had left Corone, a feeling of pride was beginning to swell inside. I felt as though I was no longer the small, useless, and terrified girl anymore. Glancing back as the monster burst through the surface with a deafening roar, I wished that the change in me was brought to fruition by less dire circumstances.
    Last edited by orphans; 01-09-16 at 11:22 PM.
    Current Adventures:
    None

Party:
    None

Recently Done:
    Following...
    Perspective...
    Price...
    Songs...
    He Who Waits...
    Matriarch's...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast