Build
    5'8"/160lbs
    Job
    Bladesinger

View Profile

Goodbye, Goodbye

Prologue
    Scara Brae, the Throne Room

Her Royal Highness Queen Valeena leant forwards in her throne. With mischievous, forceful tone, she asked the question on everybody’s mind.

“I appreciate your concern Mr Brandybuck. What, however, do you expect me to do about it?”

Duffy had not thought that far ahead. In one of his typical panics, he had stormed out of his study, made his way to the city, and demanded an audience with Her Highness. The matter needed attending to. He had not yet worked out how. He shrugged. Though the queen made no threats, her charisma outmatched even the bard’s and he withered before her.

“I expected as much,” she said with a sigh. She leant back into the throne, rested her hands on the ornate arms, and looked out across the cold chamber. “I am ever the one to be called upon in dangerous times.”

“Forgive me, Your Highness, but I would normally take it into my own hands.” Duffy had. Duffy did. Not this time. “This is beyond me, though. This is beyond the troupe, or Chronicle, or mere conventional ‘heroes’.” He wished there were more of those in the world these days.

Valeena nodded appreciatory nods. She took a deep breath, symbolic more than required, and rose with grace. Beneath the weight of reams of silk, gold, and lace, she descended the stairway to the audience floor. The silence in the room intensified. With swagger, she circled the bard, knelt on the floor in piety and respect.

“I am confused, somewhat.” She stopped behind him, rested a hand on his shoulder, and tried not to smile at his discomfort. “Are you not the Duffy Brandybuck?” There was doubt in her question, but Duffy could not be sure if it was malicious, or considerate.

“I am, Your Highness,” he said. His tongue ran over a piercing, trying to keep his lips moist, and his concentration honed.

“Then,” she lifted her hand away, “are you not a hero you speak so fondly of?” She walked around to his front, completing her circle. She stared down at him, and beneath that stare, Duffy felt himself compelled to look up.

“I…,” he stumbled. He had not considered himself heroic. He had never seen himself a hero. He had only done what was required. “I…don’t think I can amount to your expectations.”

Valeena turned her face into a frown. She was on her own, and without her council, she was hesitant and cautious. She was disappointed, but she had expected as much. Few people on the island would confess to being better than its queen was.

“You above all others are qualified to contend with this dilemma. I cannot say I am fond of the notion, but, if the Molyneux Edict is the source of this problem…” She trailed off, hoping not to have to put it to words. When Duffy continued, she smiled with unspoken thanks.

“It will be a step in the right direction, Your Highness. With the edict abolished, maybe peace will reign.”
    Last edited by Duffy; 11-30-13 at 11:46 AM.