EXP: 480, Level: 1
    Level completed: 24%, EXP required for next level: 1,520
    Level completed: 24%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,520
    GP

Name
    Jacob Kneller

A Steam Invention (Solo) (Invention) Workshop

Hello all, I would like your opinions on my story A Steam Invention (Solo) (Invention)

I especially would like to know what you guys think of post three.
    Last edited by The Mad Scientist; 03-13-14 at 11:19 AM.

GP

Name
    Jacob Kneller

Link has been fixed.

I'm asking you icely
    EXP: 29,108, Level: 7
    Level completed: 27%, EXP required for next level: 5,892
    Level completed: 27%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,892
    GP

Name
    "Ayleth" Ashla Icebreaker
    Race
    Human/ Elf Hybrid
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue in the left, dark brown in the right
    Build
    5'6" / 109
    Job
    Vigilante

View Profile
    A simple story of a simple steam invention is what I mainly saw in the first two posts. It really didn't catch my interest. However, the third post, showing the scientist's failed attempt to show another person his new machine, was rather humorous and attention seeking. Keep making scenes like the third one and I'm sure this story will be a pleasant one. I do suggest using a bit more imagery in your writing though. Show stuff like the working conditions, was the workshop cluttered and hot? Does the steam engine give any problems such as letting out steam wrong? How does your scientist react to them? Does he sweat? Does some steam blow into his face and cause him to cough? Use more than just a sense of sight in your thread and I'm sure this will become quite entertaining.
    How I Shall End my Citadel Battles from Here on Out.

Those who are the most unlovable... are those who need loved the most.
    A misguided anti-hero who only wanted to make the world a better place - but did it wrong.

GP

Name
    Jacob Kneller

I restarted with a new writing style, can you guys tell me what you think? Also, any grammatical errors you can point out would be nice to know.
    "Character Speaking"
    Narrator Speaking
    *Actions not mentioned by Narrator*
    'Thoughts'
    `Translation`
    ~SOUND EFFECTS~

EXP: 46,429, Level: 9
    Level completed: 25%, EXP required for next level: 7,571
    Level completed: 25%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,571
    GP

Name
    Tobias Ebericht Stalt
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    5'8" 138 lbs.
    Job
    Lost.

View Profile
    Firstly, you're using asterisks for emotives; switch it over to plain text and format.

Example:
    "I told you not to do that," Tobias spat, "now we're all going to die." The creak of boards beneath their feet caused both men to jerk their heads down; a drop from this height would do any man in, and the bridge had already begun to spasm. "Run!"

You don't need to verify anything but thoughts and speech. Just clarify if someone can hear what's being said, or if the narrative is completely for the reader's benefit. Symbols aren't good in text. They're meant for note taking and calling attention to specific points. They detract from the aesthetic of the writing. What I mean by that is, if I'm trying to convey something to you and you're constantly looking at * * * * * * * * * * *, you're going to be drawn away from what I'm trying to achieve. As a writer, that's self-defeating.

Be sure to keep your dialogue clear and focused. If I can't understand what you're saying (that is, if I read it and my first thought is "what the heck am I reading," you probably need to backtrack and rethink your character's conversations. Tips:

*Have a point. If you're writing a conversation, why are they talking? What are they talking about? Can you tie they conversation into into the story itself?
    -If you can't tie it in to the story, it probably does not belong.
    -If you want to add a lighter comic feel to the story, work it so that the comedy adds to the character and the story.
    -Read the conversation over a few times before you finalize it. If you're reading and It seems wrong, start over.
    *Focus the conversation toward plot relevance: Obviously not every conversation is entirely relevant. There can be a few jokes here and there, questions about the character or what they've been up to or how the feel; use these to develop the character, but don't lose yourself so much that you can't push the plot itself forward. Both elements need to go forward to develop the story.

Pick a voice. First person, second person or third person. Stick to that voice. Don't shift tenses. Bad. Bad. Bad.
    Even a well-lit place can hide salvation
    A map to a one-man maze that never sees the sun
    Where the lost are the heroes
    And the thieves are left to drown

Calm and Cold, and how they became Mithril.

GP

Name
    Jacob Kneller

Okay everyone, Third times the Charm. What do you guys think?
    "Character Speaking"
    Narrator Speaking
    *Actions not mentioned by Narrator*
    'Thoughts'
    `Translation`
    ~SOUND EFFECTS~

EXP: 1,780, Level: 1
    Level completed: 89%, EXP required for next level: 220
    Level completed: 89%,
    EXP required for next level: 220
    GP

Name
    Sirius
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Crimson, greying slightly
    Eye Color
    Shiny red
    Build
    6'2"/Medium Build
    Job
    Warrior

View Profile
    Was the text of emotions/passive actions supposed to be on the left?

Anyways, i don't see too much wrong with it, and I think it'll turn out well, but the whole talking to the narrator thing seems just. Wrong?
    “I don't hate you.. I just don't like that you exist”
    ― Gena Showalter, Seduce the Darkness

Threads-Legacies Unfolded, Pasts Recovered

EXP: 8,711, Level: 3
    Level completed: 93%, EXP required for next level: 289
    Level completed: 93%,
    EXP required for next level: 289
    GP

Name
    Sorish Mon Larsh
    Race
    Coralian
    Hair Color
    None
    Eye Color
    White
    Build
    8'7" 300lb
    Job
    Adventurer / Historian

View Profile
    Emotions/passive actions as well as backgrounds and such are suppose to be on the left. I'm using scriptwrite for this character. As for talking to the Narrator, I'm going to do a bit of comedy through Dr. Steam being able to talk to the Narrator. It may also pull some things out that might not be known about Dr. Steam if the narrator didn't somehow bring it up. Sometimes, everything around Dr. Steam will pause as he talks to the Narrator. It's just something I'm trying.
    Thought
    "Telepathic Communication"
    "Yelling"
    Emphasis
    "Talking"

Theme Song
    "Year of the Reef"

Iwishlifehadcheatcodes
    EXP: 23,421, Level: 6
    Level completed: 49%, EXP required for next level: 3,579
    Level completed: 49%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,579
    GP

Name
    Einar Fenrisson
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown, buzz cut mohawk
    Eye Color
    hazel
    Build
    6'2" / 315
    Job
    Outcast Noble

View Profile
    I'd like to put this up front: I mean nothing offensive by what I am about to say and actually like that you are writing this in a playwright style. That being said...

It is disjointed. The setting is lacking severely because of the style, which gives the reader a lack of ability to really get into the scene. The aesthetic quality of the piece is missing because of that, nothing gives the reader a sense of where they are. I don't know what it smells like, feels like, sounds like, or if there are any subliminal tastes that really allow me to close my eyes and feel like I'm there.

Diction is another point of interest to note. People getting out of the way of horseless carriages makes me think of New York or another large city right when cars started coming around. Brick houses and power-lines with wayyyyy too many lines on each. A train is huge though, and seems grossly out of place instead of something like a trolly. "...pulling a line of carriages..." makes me think of actual carriages, the kind that Robin Hood and his band of merry men robbed. Wooden boxes on wheels, which I can't see realistically being able to be pulled around a city by a steam powered train. Are these brick buildings sky-scrapers? Or are they maybe 2-5 story buildings? It seems like there are multiple sky-scrapers lining the streets.

As for the narration to Dr. Steam dialogue... it makes me feel more like someone who is describing the situation, walking alongside the Dr., and yet it's a fourth wall breakage that makes it hard to follow. It's kind of like Deadpool meets steampunk, meets talking to the audience, meets confusion in general.

TL;DR version: Too much interaction with the narrator, not enough setting, word choice is hard to follow. Potentially interesting idea nonetheless.

EXP: 8,711, Level: 3
    Level completed: 93%, EXP required for next level: 289
    Level completed: 93%,
    EXP required for next level: 289
    GP

Name
    Sorish Mon Larsh
    Race
    Coralian
    Hair Color
    None
    Eye Color
    White
    Build
    8'7" 300lb
    Job
    Adventurer / Historian

View Profile
    Thank you so much Taskmaster. I'll see what I can do to fix it.
    Thought
    "Telepathic Communication"
    "Yelling"
    Emphasis
    "Talking"

Theme Song
    "Year of the Reef"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast