Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'1''/201 lbs.
    Job
    Hunter

Exclamation The Knack

Ever wonder why a fellow althanian is a few levels higher then you? Why you can barely finish a post-by-post story? Why none of those tips given to you by your friends or colleagues never seem to work?

If you share any of these symptoms, don't fret! Your not alone . For a couple of months now I have been trying to write my first quest with the simplest of intentions. Moving back and forth between characters, advancing in my plot, and hoping to make a name for myself by the time it is over.

BAM.

Nothing seems to work any more, the writing is out of whack, and I just can't get myself to sit down and concentrate on this thing. I write off and on with mixed feelings on my work, and I cannot seem to adhere to a technique that lasts long enough for me to accomplish something.

The more I try, the more elusive it becomes to finish it. I've consulted judges, colleagues, even friends for advice on how to write to get into this Althanas niche'. None seem to work, and some even backfire with unpredictable results. I'm not trying to raise any red flags to any folks here who have these disabilities, but I'm not bi-polar, I don't have ADD or ADHD, and I seem to keep myself within a reasonable realm of patience.

I can still write outside of Althanas, perhaps even better. Does being normal seeking help on a site tend to keep the pressure at an unbearable point? I like so many others have taken breaks, have brainstormed ideas, have tried to change stories to refocus my attention. But, again, none seem to work!

Enough is enough. I've come to a crossroads that many writer of a forum has been standing on. Is this it? Should I just stick to writing by myself via Microsoft Word and by hand because I cannot solve this problem? I would not like to focus this thread solely upon me, but upon others like myself suffering from this problem and cannot seem to get over that perverbial hump.

What tips do you have? What sage advice would someone have that has either been in my position or recognizes it as a phase of some sorts? Is it a problem that cannot be solved, or is Althanas just not my niche'? I know that there are other folks like me either too embarassed to come forward with this problem, or have given up too early and thrown in the keyboard.

I ask you as a whole Althanas for your thoughts, pearls of wisdom, and some method of staving off this crippling condition.

Help.
    Last edited by Saxon; 09-18-06 at 05:45 PM.
    HEY! If you are judging or adding experience to a quest of mine, READ THIS!

~~Fibonacci's Tales ~~
    To Trump A Bluff.. (Best Quest of 2007)
    Almost Heroes

"To be evil is easy. It is far easier to destroy the light inside of someone then the darkness all around you." -The Night Watch

GP

Name
    Séreméla Carnesîr Baxter
    Race
    Elf/Human
    Hair Color
    Jet black with crimson red streaks
    Eye Color
    Bright blue with crimson red outlining
    Build
    5'6" 100 lbs.
    Job
    Magical Archer

yeah I'm not gonna lie, I've had about 5 characters on Althanas, and in all of the billions of quests and battles I have joined with all of them I think I finished maybe 10. And it is really frustrating when I am writing and come up with new ideas for a story I've been working on and it won't seem to fit, so me being stupid begins another quest just to work off of that idea. I think I have been on althanas for about ayear now and haven't accumulated enough experience to reach level 1 yet. With this new character and my new quest though I am actually working in a backwards so of state.

The quest I am working on now when I get new ideas or stuck on a certain part and think of something different I start thinking about how I can make this idea flow with my quest or atleast my storyline. That being said, depending on what I earn as spoils in this quest I have already created a 7 part series where my character goes all across althanas trying to piece something together. So now I can start writing 7 stories if I want as long as they somehow tie together.

So pretty much what I am saying is this. It sucks getting stuck on a part where you really want to move forward in a quest but can't consentrate on it so what I do is just skip over it and move forward to where you start to create a storyline and although the quests might not be the same it forces you to kind of keep that single idea in your head of what your quest is about. and then you can just work backwards trying to figure out "So in my new quest I want to do this, and in my current quest I am stuck at this...what would make these two meet somewhere?" Thus solving your problem slowly but surely... So yeah if that didn't make any sense at all, don't worry I do that alot lol. Hope it helped some though
    Level 0

Happiness Before Heartache

Spy Vs. Spy

The Journey for the Eternal Tap

The truth is simple...the power most seek can be found within themselves. Those who seek absolute power are fools. And in the end we all pay a price for our actions with out escape...

Book 1: The Book of Beginnings
    Cho-Ko-Nus...currently owe 1300 gold

Non Timebo Mala
    EXP: 126,303, Level: 15
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 8,697
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,697
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

I already gave you an adivce on your writing, dude. Now I'm going to give you an advice on writing on Althanas. Write with other people. Even if it's just a random cliche thread, write with as many different people as you can. Nothing inspires me more then reading a post of my fellow rper and then doing my best to write on the same level. I love how people I write with here keep raising the bar for me, how they bring challenge after challenge after challenge with each post. If that is unable to fuel you - to know that somebody would read what you wrote and respond to it - I don't know what will.
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

GP

Name
    Séreméla Carnesîr Baxter
    Race
    Elf/Human
    Hair Color
    Eye Color
    Build
    5'6" 100 lbs.
    Job
    Magical Archer

Yeah...listen to him, his is shorter and not as confusing lol
    Level 0

Spy Vs. Spy

The truth is simple...the power most seek can be found within themselves. Those who seek absolute power are fools. And in the end we all pay a price for our actions with out escape...

Carpetmuncher
    EXP: 1,354, Level: 1
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next level: 646
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next level: 646
    GP

Name
    Luc Kraus
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5' 6'' 145 lbs

Don't approach quests as just series of posts. If you end a post, consider it a portion of your story, and then begin another post as if you're beginning another part of the quest, it can be tough. Think of each new post as a continuation of your last one.

Basically... Don't think of your posts individually, but of one last congregation of awesome.
    Cold, jade eyes that liquify
    eyes that are merciless,
    staring in mute mockery
    and in mockery of the muteness

Maul-Slayer
    EXP: 172,649, Level: 18
    Level completed: 14%, EXP required for next level: 16,351
    Level completed: 14%,
    EXP required for next level: 16,351
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    This is something I got from reading an interview with Roald Dahl. Maybe he's not the most popular around here, but I think it's good advice.

If you're writing a post in a quest and you have a good idea, rather than immediately putting it in, jot it down on a piece of paper and put the paper somewhere safe. Then round of the post you're working on, and stop writing. Maybe the next day or something, come back, read your idea, maybe modify it a bit, then write it in the quest.

I find this bit of advice very useful. It gives your ideas time to boil around in your brain, and this way, you'll ALWAYS have something good to write in your next post, so you're not starting from scratch. Good ol' Dahl.
    ... They fell to him as prey to bluefin
    for the Jya's warriors knew not how to swim...
    13-3-2

I wrote a book! ~ Most Suave Character 2010

GP

Name
    Asuka Murakama
    Race
    Human (Akashiman)
    Hair Color
    Copper
    Eye Color
    Light Emerald Green
    Build
    5'10"/120 lbs.
    Job
    Vagabond

Well... the only thing I can say is...

Don't just write it. Live it.

Hmm... Not very useful, is it? Ignore me, then...
    Hel hath no Fury like that of a Pissed off Redhead

GP

Name
    Séreméla Carnesîr Baxter
    Race
    Elf/Human
    Hair Color
    Eye Color
    Build
    5'6" 100 lbs.
    Job
    Magical Archer

Don't approach quests as just series of posts. If you end a post, consider it a portion of your story, and then begin another post as if you're beginning another part of the quest, it can be tough. Think of each new post as a continuation of your last one.

Basically... Don't think of your posts individually, but of one last congregation of awesome.
    Think of it as you're watching your quest on tv. And every time a commercial comes on, that's the end of one of your posts. lol
    Level 0

Spy Vs. Spy

EXP: 16,803, Level: 5
    Level completed: 47%, EXP required for next level: 3,197
    Level completed: 47%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,197
    GP

Name
    Nyadir D'Var
    Race
    Half-Elf
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'3, 220lbs
    Job
    Murder-Hobo

View Profile
    It may just be you're ready for a bigger change. Try playing around with a different writing style for a while. If you use 3rd person, switch to first. If you use past tense, switch to present. The writing isn't flowing because you don't know how to say it in the style you've chosen, so choose a different style and see if that doesn't jog your mind a little.

You don't have to continue writing in it if you don't like it, but it may very well give you some new ideas of how to say what you've been meaning to.
    Sings we a dances of wolves, who smells fear and slays the coward,
    Sings we a dances of mans, who smells gold and slays his brother.

Ebivoulya (Level 3)

Steppe It Up (feat. Storm)
    Who You Gonna Call? (feat. Elthas)
    Low Stretches The Hand (feat. Gum)

GP

Name
    Banda Utako
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'8"/160 Lbs.
    Job
    Wanderer

My advise would be to do this:

> Write with other people
    > Imagine the story as it unfolds.
    > Ask yourself: Should I add some more to the story for this post? or: Is my post too short or too long?
    > Pay attention to what your writing
    > Make sure your story can keep YOU as the writer entertained
    last but not least: >If you are stuck read a few pages of a book your reading, it helps clear writer's block, and any brain farts, meaning it helps ur thinking be thorough
    Everything is all shiny and new!