Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6'4"/330 lbs

View Profile
    Flint fought down the compulsion to cough up his lungs. He had been hacking and spitting for some time now, the darkling one's gift to him and the gun-toting blonde. He stared defiantly into the single tremendous eye of his foe-turned-savior, which in turn stared back at him, and a mutual feeling was shared between them. Neither of them could do what they wanted to.

Flint could only vaguely remember when the first tentacle writhed its way into the poison-choked chamber. He had tried, feebly, to fight it off, but it had taken the girl without trouble. By the time the second limb had come for him, most of the fight was out of him until he had fresh air in his lungs, and even then he had been in no condition to struggle properly.

Now free from danger, the brute processed all he'd learned, and found it in him to relax...at least a little. He'd been right about the chamber and the abomination, but wrong about the elf. Somehow, he'd wrested some semblance of control over that place from inside the heart, and now Flint could see the blue horizon rushing up to meet them. Sunrise couldn't be far off.

The tentacle lifted him high, and Flint raised his eyes to see a small fleet of struggling airships hanging above. Lines were lowered, and one eager figure darted out from one of the airships to retrieve the blonde. Those that waited for Flint's return would not meet him halfway.

He reached out with his free hand and took hold of the thick chain dangling from the airship far above. The line had bars and footholds welded into the links of the chain, and even in his battered state the brute found it easy to grab hold. The high winds buffeted him, but his grip was sure.

The abomination hesitated before releasing him - either struggling against the urge to take advantage of this one last chance to crush him, or to be sure he wasn't going to fall again - and then the tentacle slowly fell away. As it unwrapped from around him, it revealed that he still held the Reclaimer in his free hand. He could have begun sawing away at the monster any time.

The chain began to steadily ascend, drawing Flint up with it. After a long time he could hear the crank working even over the ship's engines, and after a few moments more he could discern pale faces peering down at him. The chain slowed, then stopped. The crank was moored to a protrusion above a bay door on the underside of the ship, and Flint stepped gingerly off the chain and into the warm confines of the airship's hold.

The door was closed behind him, and he held himself up straight with a grimace. Weakness was not his to show, not here, not even now.

A thin but formidable woman stepped up to him, her features framed by the high fur collar of her coat, and she nodded her greetings brusquely. "Shall I order us down to the Salty Whore?" Roxanna said in Salvic.

Flint shook his head. "Keep after the fortress, Captain Baranski and his crew will keep for awhile yet. I need to see the fortress go down. When we dock I need your contacts. Find me the assassin called Lye first. It should not be difficult. Use our Armada channels."

He held the Reclaimer up in demonstration. "I have something that belongs to him."

"Lye first," Roxanna said with a nod. "Who next?"

"There is a wizard whose head needs separating from his shoulders," Flint said. "Find me Forral."

EXP: 4,095, Level: 2
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next level: 905
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next level: 905
    GP

Name
    Fox Owen Xavier
    Race
    Kitsune
    Hair Color
    Fox Red
    Eye Color
    Light brown
    Build
    5'4 / 120 pounds
    Job
    Potion Crafter

View Profile
    Watching the ending of the battle from arriving airship, Fox had a mixture of interest and disgust. For someone to fuse a living creature with all that power and into non-living material was incredible especially to someone who was knowledgeable in the arcane arts. But at the same time, it was such an abomination against nature.

“Sigh… I guess it’s for the best that the ‘thing’ is dead. I would have loved to study the magical properties but it’s too dangerous and… Well, no use thinking about what is already done. I can’t easily change the past and from what I heard, it’s generally not worthwhile even if I had access to that realm of forbidden magic,” Fox spoke to himself as he waited with the rest of the medical team.

The kitsune was about to head down another down another random trail of thought when an annoying bright light begin rapidly approaching the ship. In the center, Fox could see a figure with wings carrying what seemed to be a dead body. Grabbing a few potions and herbs, the ‘medic’ rushed over to the deck where the shiny person had just landed. The herbalist could see the winged man trying to apply healing but even from the distance, Fox could see that the healing was far too inadequate.

“Step aside please,” sighed Fox as he inspected the body to see if it could even be saved. Even with the healing, the body was a sorry sight and the insides were probably worst off, based on the poisons his sensitive nose was busy deciphering. There was even an arrow wound to make his job harder. The oddest thing about the ‘corpse’ was that it seemed to have a ‘death grip’ on a crushed blue creature.

“Well, looks like you are going to spend the next few days hanging on death’s cliff if you have the will to survive. Or else you are going to waste all my hard efforts if your will lacking and you slip,” thought Fox as he carefully choose some herbs to counteract the poison and mixed them with a healing potion. “Damn, why is it so much harder to keep people alive than kill them… Not sure why I bother spending all this time and effort learning to keep people alive when it’s easier and pays just as well to kill…”

Finally, despite all his muttering and dark thoughts, the kitsune finished the mixture and slowly begin feeding to the limp body. For the arrow injury, the healer didn’t want to risk the body losing any more blood so he decided to leave the arrow head inside and just close the wound. If the woman really wanted it out and risk leaving a bigger scar, she could go find a doctor, magician, or even himself when her life wasn’t hanging on a thread.

“Well… That’s the best I can do for her. Living or dying is up to her strength,” stated Fox to the concerned angel. If the man was her boyfriend, partner, friendly stranger who saw a person in need, the kitsune didn’t know and did not care. For the herbalist, all that he was interested in was testing his skills and also the shiny magical crystal he had quietly pocketed in the mess for later inspection.

Screw You, Andy.
    EXP: 233,561, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next level: 0
    GP

Name
    Sei Orlouge
    Race
    Mystic
    Hair Color
    Orange
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'11'', 172 lbs
    Job
    Protector of Radasanth.

View Profile
    The island crashed far enough away from Berevar that the waves caused by the crash only made soem slightly bigger waves upon the continent. The land mass, rather than sinking, amazingly floated upon the water like a large buoy. The castle was claimed by Elthaas and his ilk, the home to The Trading Company should they decide to take it. Here, they had reign over the creatures, and were surrounded on all sides by water; a fortress that was easy to defend and hard to attack. A truly marvelous gift from the one known as Forral.

((Thread is officially closed. I will try to have someone judge this by January so we can ring in the new year with 2 new HQs! Congratulations everyone!))
    2011 Althy winner for Best Comeback, Most Helpful Moderator, and Best IC Odd Couple (With Enigmatic Immortal). 2012 Althie Winner for Mr. Althanas, and best Bromance (also, with Enigmatic Immortal). 2014 Althy Winner Best Battler for Forrals Fortress.

Gisela Open Winner (First Year), Lornius Cooperate Championship 3rd Place Winner (1/2 of 'Don't Blinke!', 2nd year).

(21:41:22) Sulla: If you kill god, Nihilism fills the void, you need the ubermensch to take the place of god. Sei is the ubermensch.

EXP: 38,568, Level: 8
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 5,432
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,432
    GP

Name
    Arphenion De Lecuyer
    Race
    Half-Elf (Raiaeran
    Hair Color
    Golden
    Eye Color
    Emerald
    Build
    5ft 6in / 130lbs
    Job
    Tap-touched Mage

View Profile
    Forrals Fortress; I started this, and was asked by Sei to finish it. This judgment may come off as a bit harsh, potentially critical. I’m here to determine by your writing which Power Group you represent is rewarded a Head Quarters though. I will offer critique, but for the most part will point out flaws so you know what I saw that was out of place.

The Inventor
    Plot (10/30)
    Your opening post left much to be desired, as I wasn’t sure what exactly was going on for the thread, what the setting was, who your character was, or how you were involved. Opening posts are hard for everyone, and sometimes it’s best to let another person start a thread and build off of what they create afterwards so that your involvement has a place to exist comfortably.
    Character (12/30)
    A worm in an automaton… I love it. The idea is great. Make sure you build on it, really develop the character and add in more information for the reader about what he is and why he does what he does. I think, as far as the unique characters I’ve seen on the site, I really think this one is great. With practice and more experience in the base elements of writing you could go really far with this guy.

Your action with the centipede was very believable, showed a little more of the character, and yet part of it was odd. The part that threw me off was why you put on the bark for armor, snuck down the tree, and instead of continuing to sneak away you stabbed the thing.
    Prose (15/30)
    There were times when I thought something you said was a bit off, tense agreements here and there. Your writing is clear enough, but could use some polish as to the style. Remember that when you are writing numbers are always spelled not typed i.e. ten instead of 10.
    Wildcard (4/10)
    You fought valiantly and did well in a very large thread. Keep up the work and dedication to your writing and I look forward to more from you in the future.

Philomel
    Plot (19/30)
    You have an obvious way with words, but the writing is heavy and slow to read. At times I had to backtrack or come to a crawl in order to keep up. The pacing was the hardest part of reading your narrative.
    Character (17/30)
    I like the idea of the character, and how her connection to nature is a big part of the narrative. It’s interesting and as a reader I was happy to be able to really absorb who the character was and what they were about.
    Your description of the fighting is not your strongest suit. It doesn’t flow very well, but it is clear. I would suggest taking the time to read up on other’s battles to get a better feel for how to write a battle, figure out what makes the writing good, and then incorporate it into your writing. You have a strong voice and strength with writing, try to not lose that with your action.
    Prose (18/30)
    Parallelism in your writing is good, but repetition of the exact same thing detracts from the narrative more. In your first post, for example, you used “Once” to open 3 sentences in a row, then used “the circumstances” in three back-to-back sentences in the next paragraph.
    As noted in the plot, your writing makes things a little unclear, and it falls on your sentence structure mostly.
    Your second post opened with a lot of pronouns, but without the proper noun (I assumed you were referring to yourself and your familiar) it was just a lot of ‘them’ and ‘their’. Used ‘loud’ and ‘rude’ twice to describe the same thing.
    Wildcard (2/10)
    DQ’ed

Alyssa Snow
    Plot (21/30)
    The pace was smooth with a very easy to read narrative, and very good advanced writing techniques that made the setting more in-depth than almost anyone else. I would have liked if the past jump wasn’t so much of the opening, as it did take away from what was going on in the present. And further on in the story your pacing slowed here and there, as if just a little off enough that it became muddled a bit.
    Character (20/30)
    The dialogue to offer backstory, depth to the reason you were there, and really the entire thread was exactly what was needed. The entire conversation was well done. I like the juxtaposition between your narrative and the character, it actually gives plenty of information for the reader to work with.
    Prose (25/30)
    Your style is simplistic in nature, but smooth and entirely too good in its eloquence. My only note so far is that you re-use a verb twice the same way in sentences that are back to back.

Clarity of one of the sentences made me re-read it a couple times, the fourth one in post 13. Not sure what ‘it’ was referring to. Missed capitalizing a sentence. A couple present tense slip ups in the writing.
    Wildcard (7/10)

Hysteria
    Plot (19/30)
    Your opening post was rather… odd at first. It was like reading something more aligned with a philosophical debate about light and darkness, and right off the bat it hurt the pacing of the narrative. And the rest of your narrative at times had awkward pacing that was jolting from a reader standpoint.
    Character (20/30)
    Your character, the way you narrated our portion of the story, left much to be desired. I would have liked to know about Talen through your actions and dialogue. If you have quirks or other personality things that would make Talen a dynamic character you should incorporate that into the writing, round him out.
    Prose (18/30)
    Missing words in your narrative made me have to re-read the passage to find what was missing. As well as misspelled words, ‘vein’ instead of ‘vain’, ‘apart’ instead of ‘a part’
    The use of ‘you’, second person, in the thread was awkward.
    Using ‘whipping’ and ‘whip’ in the same sentence, ‘journey’ twice in the next. Try and use synonyms so that you don’t re-use the same word too often.

Second post, last sentence, what you wrote was rather unclear and hard to follow.
    Wildcard (7/10)

Warpath
    Plot (22/30)
    The opening description, with the way you created the setting of Berevar, was brilliant and very enjoyable to read. Your pacing for the fight with the griffin was awkward to a degree, and I would have liked more description about the creature itself.

The pacing of post to post was good for the most part but off at other times, sometimes very long, sometimes to the point, but each time it was just a little different. Try and keep the consistency throughout.
    Character (20/30)
    You built quite a character though the narrative, but the last sentence of the first post really just crushed it for me. It was like this great guy with such an interesting, unexplored past that was just teasing the reader to learn more suddenly found modern American speech. As if you went from really creating a vision to saying “he’s a badass guys”.

Your actions with your opponent, taking it as an unwilling mount, was pretty interesting.
    Prose (21/30)
    Your writing style is fantastic to read, and really paints a strong picture for the reader, the personification of the land and how it felt, how it reacted, was great. However, as your first post continued it became heavy, try to use that technique and ability you have without losing the brevity and clarity.
    Present tense being added into past tense writing
    Wildcard (7/10)

Erikar
    Plot (17/30)
    What was missing of the plot was not setting – you did that well – and the pacing was done well enough too; you simply did not have enough about why you were part of the thread. What group are you part of that has sent you to the island and why? The Order is all I know of, but not what they are or why you’re part of it.
    Character (15/30)
    I look forward to seeing the development of the character, how he works and thinks. I really would like to know more about him, get inside his head. Remember that your reader isn’t going to necessarily know each thread you’ve done in the past, as well as read your profile, so it’s pivotal to include enough for the reader to see a well-developed, dynamic, round character instead of a flat and static one.
    Prose (16/30)
    Mistakes with wording, it seemed that you typed something originally and then decided to change what you wanted to say… but forgot to remove the first word you used.
    Wildcard (2/10)
    Your magnetism allowed you to be safe from the fall, I assume, but was lost on how it kept you from dying as well as how you used it that way.
    DQ’ed.

Lye
    Plot (20/30)
    The opening post, aside from dialogue comment I made below, was very good. You gave a reason for what you are doing in the thread, a little bit of information about the clan and how Erikar was part of it. It was very well done.
    Pacing of each post suffered a little.
    Character (23/30)
    Strong dialogue, with descriptors to add to the characters made the narrative of your first post very easy to read and very good.
    Prose (22/30)
    The narrative was well written and clear, but part of the 24th post was awkwardly worded with a lot of ‘you’ in it.
    Wildcard (7/10)

Elthas_Belthasar
    Plot (18/30)
    Writing dialogue in the middle of a paragraph slows the pace, but the pace was also awkward in the very beginning of your intro. Also, try not to write too many short, single sentence paragraphs back to back.
    Character (17/30)
    More about who Elthas is, what he is about and rounding out the character would be great. I get a little bit of personality out of the inner dialogue, but describing it through the narrative would be much better.
    Prose (20/30)
    You could use synonyms for your name in place of starting each sentence with Elthas. Your writing has improved a lot since last I read something of yours, and it is clear and easy to read, but you still write something in all caps sometimes that could be underlined or italicized. Just a couple little mistakes such as missing commas, and a bit of sentence structure, apostrophes after a word that ends in an ‘s’ doesn’t need another – Elthas’ instead of Elthas’s.
    Wildcard (7/10)

Ioder Didn’t judge your work because it was only one thread, going to give you a little reward just because. Scored you like a 50.
    Fox Owen Xavier Same as Ioder.

Score::
    The Inventor: 41
    Philomel: 56
    Alyssa Snow: 73
    Hysteria: 64
    Warpath: 70
    Erikar: 50
    Lye: 72
    Elthas: 62

Name: (Post Count): Rewards:: I know that this was a ‘battle’ technically, but I am treating it as a quest for experience and gold; also, I have included post counts and will leave the discretion of who gets the ultimate reward to Sei. I would say based on post count and quality of posts alone it would be Alyssa. But congrats to everyone.
    The Inventor: (4): 265 exp and 35 gold
    Philomel: (5): 525 exp and 60 gold
    Alyssa Snow: (8): 935 exp and 120 gold
    Hysteria: (8): 1480 exp and 105 gold
    Warpath: (8): 1345 exp and 115 gold
    Erikar: (1): 80 exp and 10 gold
    Lye: (4): 655 exp and 60 gold
    Elthas: (4): 475 exp and 55 gold
    Ioder: (1): 85 exp and 10 gold
    Fox Owen: (1): 80 exp and 10 gold

Administrator
    EXP: 63,653, Level: 10
    Level completed: 88%, EXP required for next level: 1,347
    Level completed: 88%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,347
    GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroké
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    175lbs -- 6'
    Job
    Grandmaster Assassin

View Profile
    EXP & GP Added!

Congrats on your HQ's!
    "All mortal men possess the capacity to do evil. Some are simply more capable than others."
    - Anonymous

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456