Sandy Blonde
    Eye Color
    Saphire
    Build
    six foot four and slim build
    Job
    Badass motherfucker

Ruin Breakers [Tarot Hierarchy]

The sun had begun to set over the Kulvrisk steppe as a small caravan approached the base of a lone mountain towering above all else. Wind whipped ferociously as tore at the travelers. In the distance they could see a small camp huddles against seeking shelter from the wind. All around them grass struggled to keep its hold in the dirt as dust blew everywhere. Every member of the caravan had been prepared, wrapped head to toe in white clothes similar to desert-wear, however the headpiece was kept semi translucent to maintain vision.

"Just an hour more before we reach the camp!" the head of the caravan exclaimed to the rest as the struggled forward in the harsh conditions presented to them. The mules struggled with their heavy packs filled to the brim with provisions and water. Very little could be scrounged up in these wastes, not a single creature dared roam the slicing winds, nor did a single bird deign to fly in the forlorn sky. The steppe was as close to a waste as it could possibly be. Only the foolish or the brave would dare venture these lands. Tobias Stalt reckoned they were a healthy mix of both.

He had taken an open contract with the enigmatic Leona Stevvains, leader of the Tarot Hierarchy, months ago. Since then she would randomly send him letters asking for his assistance with a task. Her ability to see the future meant she could promise the rewards would be satisfactory to him, and this time she swore by her Thayne protector that he would be thrilled to see his reward for this mission. His goal was simple, an old friend and ex martial student Vincent Cain had found a rather ancient and impressive set of ruins that would far predate anything that had ever been dug up in the last five centuries. Tobias was to accompany the lad down into the depths and make sure that the scholar made it out in mostly one piece.

Riding behind Tobias was Rayleigh Aston, an active member of the Tarot Hierarchy. Months ago she had run across Vincent in Alerar's largest port and he had offered her a job in helping him understand an ancient mechanical artifact. While she felt like she had been of little help to the scholar, her clues seemed to light a fire inside of him that would later lead to the reuniting once more to recharge the object. At the end of that job he had offered her to join the Hierarchy and share his knowledge with her. Now she found herself being dragged along to the edge of the charted world in order to ply her abilities at the excavation.

"You holding up okay Ray?" Tobias grunted, spitting out a mouthful of dust.

"As well as I can in this ridiculous wind..." Rayleigh responded quickly. They had been traveling in this steppe for about four days, and were looking forward to descending into the mountain to escape this wind.

"Just a little further!" Tobias shouted, praying it was true.

They spent the rest of the last leg in their journey in silence to conserve energy. Finally they entered the rocky enclave at the base of the mountain that housed the camp, and it seemed like the wind had simply died. It's howling around them was the only sign of it's presence, not so much a breeze could be felt. As the various workers began to unload packs into packlines and go about making camp a messenger found Tobias and Ray rinsing their mouths out with swigs of water.

"Lady Aston, Sir Stalt..." The messenger began as walked up them. The two of them shot him a weird look.

"Lady Aston?" Ray asked quizically.

"Sir Stalt?" Tobias grunted, spitting on the ground. "I think you have our station mixed up bud..."

"MY APOLOGIES!" the messenger squeaked, his features hidden under a loosely fitting turban and robes. "The Hierophant told me to find you when you arrived and guide you to his chambers." he said motioning for them to follow him as he scampered off.

"Chambers?" Rayleigh asked the mercenary, cocking her heard to one side.

"For fucks sake Vinnie..." Tobias grumbled as the walked.

They found the messenger standing at the entrance to a cave waiting patiently. "The Hierophant will see you now..." he said bowing. The two entered to a well lit "room" of a cave boasting several makeshift tables littered with maps and tomes. Vincent was in the very back of the room pouring over some notes as he noticed them walk in. He limpled around the table and started towards them, waiting for the messenger to leave. Once they were no longer being observed he set the cane down on the table and strutted towards them with a normal gait arms outstretched.

"Tobias! Ray! Pleasure to see you two once again!" He said embracing each one of them warmly. "Thank you so much for coming all the way out here, the middle of scenic nowhere!" he said as he strutted back to his notes. "Come, come! I have some wines over in the corner if you would like a drink, you must be exhausted from your travels. Pull up a chair..." he said gesturing to several crates lying about "...and have a seat." the two took his offers to heart and found them each holding a cup of wine in hand in as the watched Vincent pour over his notes for a moment more.

"Welcome to the Rune King's Keep." He said grinning ear to ear.
    Last edited by Cards of Fate; 01-26-15 at 04:45 PM.

Make It So
    EXP: 23,137, Level: 6
    Level completed: 45%, EXP required for next level: 3,863
    Level completed: 45%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,863
    GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brunette
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'3 / 115
    Job
    Mechanic

View Profile
    The young mechanic's skin tingled, a lingering effect of the embrace Vincent had pulled her into. It had not been an altogether unwelcome gesture, but it had caught her by surprise. As Rayleigh settled onto her crate, a throne worthy of such a rugged chamber, she found herself recalling her first meeting with the blonde. It had been a tempestuous period, what with the discovery of her gift, and Vincent had certainly not remedied the situation by sleeping for three straight days. Aston had been left to struggle with her doubt and uncertainty alone, which had bothered her just as much as being forced to cover her own expenses until the scholar woke.

Understandably, she had lost much of her respect for him after the fiasco; granted, she had not particularly cared for him to begin with. Though he had given her a glimpse of a world she had only dreamed of exploring, his overall demeanor had been off-putting. His incessant note taking and detached personality had made her feel less like a student and more like a science experiment. However, a day of story telling and information exchange had been enough for the woman to forgive him. And while she still blamed him for her encounter with the demonic entity, their relationship had improved dramatically during their time on the island.

The brunette offered Vincent, her friend, a broad grin.

Oh, how quickly things can change.

"Looks like you're doing well for yourself," Ray observed, motioning to their surroundings with a nod of her head; her hands remained cupped around the glass of wine. "Must say I've never seen a cave quite like this before." She teased, "I must compliment whoever it was that did your decorating."

"Isn't it spectacular?" came the scholar's pleased reply, his blue eyes wide and dancing as he glanced about the room himself. His eagerness made him oblivious to Ray's jab, and the woman fought to suppress a snort of laughter. "Anyway," the man continued, gaze returning to his guests, "tell me about the trip. How was it?"

"Dirty," was Tobias' contribution.

Rayleigh glanced his way, then nodded. "Dirty," she repeated, extending one hand to show Vincent. Dirt was caked under her fingernails, and a fine layer clung to the cracks in her dry skin. Fine bits of dust dusted her brown hair, which had managed to grow ratted despite the protective headpiece. "And windy. But other than that, it was alright. Tobias is decent company when he feels like it."

Briefly, Rayleigh found herself reflecting on what was happening. Only a short time had passed, but she and Vincent's roles had been reversed; now she entertained him with tales of her travel. The irony was not lost on the woman, who felt a small swell of pride for the accomplishment. Occasionally, she was still gripped by the fear of the unknown, and panicked by the consequences of her decisions. With little thought, the inexperienced Rayleigh Aston had thrown herself into a new adventure, joining the Tarot Hierarchy with nothing but an erratic ability to offer them. Will I be able to keep up? she had asked herself countless times since her initiation. That question, she imagined, would be one she would go on asking for a long time. Still, Ray could not help but find satisfaction in what she had already achieved.
    Last edited by Rayleigh; 01-28-15 at 09:14 PM.

EXP: 46,429, Level: 9
    Level completed: 25%, EXP required for next level: 7,571
    Level completed: 25%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,571
    GP

Name
    Tobias Ebericht Stalt
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    5'8" 138 lbs.
    Job
    Lost.

View Profile
    "So tell us, Vince," Tobias drawled as he finished hauling the better part of Rayleigh's junk into the dank antechamber that served to welcome the Rune King's guests. As the chestnut haired youth glanced around him, his mind raced with wonder at what sort of monarch let his honored visitors be greeted by carpets of cobwebs and dust, sand and shadows. "What have you called us out here to the fringes of creation for, hmmm? I sure hope it isn't another pickle jar."

The joke was light-hearted, but Vince still managed to scowl at Tobias as he pulled Ray along toward the table and poured her a goblet of wine. "Now, now, Untapped..." he chided with a hiss in his voice, "let's not fight in front of the lady."

"You're right," Tobias threw his hands up in surrender, "it was just the one time. My apologies, Miss Aston, I never meant to mar your opinion of young master Vincent. He's a real catch, I promise."

"Anyway," the Hierophant cleared his throat loudly, a venomous glare fixed on Stalt, "yes, why, I'll get to what I've called you all here for in a moment, but for now, please sit. You're going to want to have a drink with the news." He finished pouring Rayleigh's drink first, then turned toward his friend and mentor's vessel and tipped the cask.

Tobias raised a hand and stopped the earthling from filling his drink. "Don't drink wine, Vinnie," he reminded the youth, "just ale. If you haven't got any swill, I'll pass for now. Thanks."

"If you're certain," Vincent answered reluctantly. Then, he muttered, "the wine certainly makes the news easier to swallow."

The dimly lit room smelled of dirt and the earth, yet gentle notes of cinnamon and orange zest counterbalanced the strong musk. Swirls of incense washed across the room from where Vincent burned them low, a gift from Leona to help with his meditation. Unfortunately, this chamber offered scarce room for thought, as the dying light of day left anyone within confined to candlelight.

"This certainly is not the reception we expected," Tobias remarked. Upon entry, it felt unwelcome and harsh. If the Rune King even wanted them there, a compelling reason had yet to be given. "Does this King even expect us? Have you even had an audience with him? Damn it, Vince, if you called me here because a fat, ugly monarch has you shitting your pants-"

"Will you two cut it out?" Rayleigh asked wearily, already on the final sip of her first glass. She took the bottle by the neck and and slammed back a swig. "Vince, sweetie, can you please tell us what's going on?"
    Even a well-lit place can hide salvation
    A map to a one-man maze that never sees the sun
    Where the lost are the heroes
    And the thieves are left to drown

Calm and Cold, and how they became Mithril.

In The Eye of a Hurricane
    EXP: 62,578, Level: 10
    Level completed: 78%, EXP required for next level: 2,422
    Level completed: 78%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,422
    GP

Name
    Vincent Cain (OOC just call me Fred)
    Race
    Earthling
    Hair Color
    Sandy Blonde
    Eye Color
    Saphire
    Build
    Job
    Badass motherfucker

Vincent grinned at his two friends. "We are about two thousand years too late to get an audience with the Rune King." he said with a flourish. A grin played across his lips. He scampered past the two and gestured to his makeshift table full of maps and documents. "My research in Khal'Jaren's library pointed me to this place. According to ancient records some political...arguments came up among some of the nobles. Lord Tobrarys Stoont, our Rune King, was ousted from his home by this game of thrones." Vincent paused from his rant for a moment to find the two staring at him.

"Oh. Well. Why didn't you tell me that first asshole?" Tobias replied growling at Vincent. Rayleigh shot Tobias a dirty look and swatted him on the shoulder.

"Behave." she said glaring. "Okay so the Rune King is dead, why are we here then?" she asked looking to the scholar.

"You see," Vincent began once more, making sure he had their full attention. "Stoont settled this land all those years ago using ancient tap magic to bend the wind to his will. It was under his rule that this land flourished into a pretty small but wealthy nation. When Stoont was close to death he ordered a grand tomb to be built under his keep, and his body and his treasures to be buried with him."

Vincent paused and picked up a candle from his desk and walked into the darkness behind him. Frowning he raised his candle over his head and dipped it into a small pot filled with a pungent liquid. It lit fire and spread across a previously unseen outcropping along the roof of the cave illuminating the entire room in fire. The scholar grinned as gestured to an opening in the back of the room.
    “This tomb and it’s treasures have been hidden for centuries…” Vincent began melodramatically, “And here I have found the entrance, hidden for all those years.” He bowed for a solid thirty seconds before looking up at the two to gauge their reactions.

“A wonderful presentation as always Vincent.” Ray replied clapping.
    “How long did you spend practicing in front of your monkey boy?” Tobias sneered.
    “Thank you Ray.” Vince replied smiling before turning to Tobias. “Be nice, this excavation is mostly for you Mr. Untapped.” Vincent growled.

“For me?” Tobias asked quizzically. “What did Leona tell you about this place that we don’t know?” Tobias asked raising to his feet.

“Not terribly much.” Vincent replied putting the table between the mercenary and him. “Just that you would find great use out of it” Vincent replied silently praying that the man wasn’t going to come after him.

“Great....use?” the mercenary trailed off. “What the fuck is that supposed to mean?” he continued. Vincent nodded, it wasn’t everyday he could impress his mentor.

“Leona was being super cryptic but said that it was destined to be yours.” Vincent said while shrugging.

“Hold on.” Rayleigh said raising to her feet. “Im not so sure I want to go down there.” She began. “The last time I did anything archaeological it turned out like a nightmare.” She glared at Vincent.

“Well luckily for us we have Tobias to protect us.”
    Last edited by Cards of Fate; 01-30-15 at 10:13 PM.

Make It So
    GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brunette
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'3 / 115
    Job
    Mechanic

View Profile
    "Tobias to protect us," the mechanic muttered under her breath, repeating Vincent's words with very little enthusiasm or confidence. If Tobias had heard, he chose not to respond. Most likely, he saw no reason to engage her in her small tantrum. She stood a short distance off from her companions, her arms crossed tightly across her chest. Her coral lips were drawn in a tight line, and her thin eyebrows were knotted in a mixture of worry and thought.

The intellectual, however, did feel the need to comment. "What's wrong with you?" he demanded of her. Though his words were not meant to be unkind, his disappointment was evident. "I figured you of all people would be eager to do a bit of adventuring. That's one of the reasons I invited you along."

"I understand that, Vincent," she assured him, shaking her head. "But you must understand where I'm coming from too. My last job resulted in a dead elf and a demon from hell." Memories of the fiery phantom returned to her, a vision that fit beautifully against the flames that danced across the ceiling. The panic that had gripped her that afternoon was still so real, especially due to the frequent visits the monster paid to her while she slept. Her tone grew slightly accusing as she added, "surely, you remember that."

Her words struck a nerve. The blonde's hands clenched into fists at his sides. "I've told you," he countered, his voice climbing, "that was not my fault."

"Alright," Stalt barked, "that's enough." The cave was was thrust into silence, both Vincent and Rayleigh choosing to obey the mercenary's command. But the hardened features, narrowed eyes, and tensed muscles suggested neither one of them had actually dropped the issue.

"What do you think about all of this then, Tobias?" Vincent finally questioned, the quiet doing nothing to improve his mood.

Tobias let his gaze rest on Rayleigh. He shrugged. "I think that if Ray is scared, she should stay up here," came his flippant response.

The woman's emerald eyes widened. "It isn't just that!" she insisted, uncrossing her arms just to throw them out wide. "We know hardly anything about this place. What if we are walking right into a trap?"

"Then we'll cross that bridge when we reach it," was Tobias' simple answer. Aston held his gaze for a moment longer, green eye searching his gold ones for anything she could use against him. Though she looked as if she longed to say something more, she finally sighed.

"Fine." The small woman paused long enough to drain her second glass of wine. Then, jabbing a slender finger at both in turn, she announced, "I'm holding you both responsible if we encounter another fire-covered devil. Understood?"
    Last edited by Rayleigh; 01-31-15 at 06:42 PM.

EXP: 46,429, Level: 9
    Level completed: 25%, EXP required for next level: 7,571
    Level completed: 25%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,571
    GP

Name
    Tobias Ebericht Stalt
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    5'8" 138 lbs.
    Job
    Lost.

View Profile
    "If that happens," Tobias pointed a dagger in Ray's direction to confirm her fears; there would be danger below, and none of them could talk their way around it. "Just remember, you don't have to run faster than him. You just have to move quicker than Vince."

"H-hey!" Vincent protested, but Tobias was halfway through the shadowy threshold. The scholar muttered his discontent to himself as Rayleigh stepped past him, visibly annoyed by their antics. Either man could tell the woman was wracked with anxiety over descending into the ruin; the difference was, this time she was not alone, and there were no forseeable devils in the depths. The ancient magics that rested here were cantrips and runes, not ambitious spells aspiring toswallow the world whole.

Sunlight filtered through the ancient, dusty skylights and smeared the floor with orange and yellow. Ornate and intricate carvings lined the floor, a dialect dead for a thousand years or more. "No obvious exits," Stalt mused as the others slowly slipped into the room behind him. The trio walked toward the center of the room. "To climb up would be impossible. The walls have no footholds."

Despite the nature of the room, it was obvious that far above, a level was present. "No stairs," Vincent huffed, "that makes no sense. How do we get up?"

As if in response to the question, the room around them moaned. Tobias jolted at the sound. The faint creak sent a tremble across his flesh that slowly turned into a minor earthquake as the room trembled. "Woah!" The runic symbols ingrained in the floor simmered with a low red light, like a kettle over flames. Behind them, a loud crash confirmed their worst fears.

The only door was gone. "Oh," Ray yelled at Tobias over the loud rumble, "this is so much better than fire beasts! Now we're just going to die here!"

"Will you shut up?" Tobias spat back as the room slowly began to still. "Vincent said a keyword. Something triggered. We don't want to accidentally cause it to do something else."

Rayleigh instantly clapped her hand over her mouth. Vincent turned his gaze in horror toward Tobias, as though the thought of a single word separating them from life and death terrified him. "Its a puzzle," the Untapped murmured, "that earthquake shook something loose. There's a clue here, somewhere. It may lie in the runes."
    Even a well-lit place can hide salvation
    A map to a one-man maze that never sees the sun
    Where the lost are the heroes
    And the thieves are left to drown

Calm and Cold, and how they became Mithril.

In The Eye of a Hurricane
    EXP: 62,578, Level: 10
    Level completed: 78%, EXP required for next level: 2,422
    Level completed: 78%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,422
    GP

Name
    Vincent Cain (OOC just call me Fred)
    Race
    Earthling
    Hair Color
    Sandy Blonde
    Eye Color
    Saphire
    Build
    Job
    Badass motherfucker

Vincent’s heart was racing, there were runes all over the place but in the dead center of the platform they were standing on seemed to be newer runes that glowed red. Crouching silently the scholar ran a hand over the runes, tracing them with his fingers.

“It’s old Raiaeran” Vincent muttered to himself. “Like reaaaaaally old…” he continued. He frowned and cocked his head to the side. “To go up…you must go down…” he muttered squinting. “Fucking perfect, it’s a rid-“ he was interrupted by the room rumbling once more.

“VINCE!” Rayleigh shouted an anguish as suddenly the section of floor she was standing on began to lower. The entire platform began to spin and sections began to lower.

“Rayleigh!” Tobias roared as he grabbed her outstretched hands. He lifted her up onto the stationary portion of the platform. Tobias turned to growl at Vincent but stopped as he noticed that the portion they were standing on was the top of a set of spiral stairs. “Well then…” he started gruffly “Good job Vinnie you found the way down…” he continued. The scholar nodded and rose to his feet and turned to look at Rayleigh.

“You okay?” He asked frowning.

“I’m fine…just a little startled.” The mechanic replied sighing. Tobias had already taken off down the descending staircase leaving the other two lagging behind as they raced to catch up. The ruins had already proven they were dangerours, and neither of the two wanted to be left alone without Tobias to protect them.

The stairs seemed to take forever and plunged them deeper and deeper into the ruins. The only form of lighting they had were the softly growing runes that illuminated the stairs in a soft red. Everything else was too dark to make out at all. Tobias seemed to start humming to fill the silence, and his tune seemed to echo throughout the entire stairwell, illuminating the size of the stairwell.

“This is incredibly deep…” Vincent mused as they walked. Apparently this was the wrong thing to say eliciting a slug on the shoulder from Ray who was behind him. Finally after what had felt like forever the group found themselves at the bottom of the shaft, in a small, dimly lit room with one portal outwards. Several glowing messages seemed to shine, and Vincent began to read them scowling. “If to ascend is what you seek…shit this syntax is wack...” he paused for a moment. “Something something maze…something something guardian…something something elevator.”

Make It So
    GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brunette
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'3 / 115
    Job
    Mechanic

View Profile
    "Something, something, death," the brunette finished for him, grimacing. Though her tone was rich with sarcasm, it only barely masked the fear that gripped her. The girl's palms were damp with sweat, as was the small of her back; the thin fabric of her cotton tunic clung to her skin. Reaching behind her, Ray peeled it off, shifting uncomfortably.

"Oh, lighten up, Rayleigh," Tobias scolded, in regards to both her unease and the punch she had delivered Vincent.

"Lighten up?" the mechanic repeated, voice cracking with disbelief. "Really?"

"Yes, really," Stalt replied simply. He understood that she was uncomfortable, but he was growing tired of her attitude. Surely, if he gave her an opening, she would launch into another rendition of her demon story. While she refused to give exact details of the event which had clearly terrified her, she referred to it almost daily. The woman was beginning to sound like a broken record.

"We're on an adventure," he added, refusing to give her the opportunity to go on complaining. "Just shut up and enjoy it."

Her answer was a low growl of annoyance, but he was satisfied when she did not speak again. He moved away to investigate the small room that they had stumbled upon.

"Here," Tobias barked from a few feet off, only a short time later. There was a small opening between two walls; in the darkness, and from the angle that had originally viewed the small room, it was easily overlooked. He peered inside, and when he turned back to his companions, he flashed them a tight-lipped smile. "More stairs."

There were no words as the party decended, with Vincent concentrating on the runes, and Ray still stinging from Stalt's comment. The only sound was the mercenary's humming, and he was quite alright with that.

The trio brushed their hands across the rough stone walls, which allowed them to keep both their balance and their sense of direction in the dark cavern. They were moving downward, that much was certain. But the dim lighting and jagged, uneven steps made for a treacherous trip; Aston found herself incredibly disoriented.

"Wait, I think I see something," Vincent called out, his small voice booming in the confined space. Rayleigh, who desperately hoped it was an elevator back to the surface, gave an excited gasp. She squinted over the scholar's shoulder, but her view was hindered by both the darkness and Stalt's broad figure.

"Aye," came Tobias' agreement, "here it is. A platform of some sort. At least, there are no more steps."

"So, there's a door?" came a female's hopeful voice from the back of the pack.

"No." Tobias reached out, hands cutting the darkness, fingertips tracing the stones that now boxed the three explorers in place. "No door."

"More runes though," Vincent muttered, already at work deciphering them. "And if I'm not mistaken, they are glowing brighter the deeper we go."
    Last edited by Rayleigh; 02-08-15 at 07:02 PM.
    Althy's Judging Admin
    To try or not to try. To take a risk or play it safe.
    Your arguments have reminded me how precious the right to choose is.
    And because I've never been one to play it safe, I choose to try.

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    Cards of rate receives 375 EXP and 35 GP
    Rayleigh receives 310 EXP and 35 GP
    Tobias Stalt receives 280 EXP and 25 GP

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    All rewards added!

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."