Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'10', 165 lbs.
    Job
    Hitman/Killer

View Profile
    The scream had all the vexations one would expect from a child, but with a low rumble that moved through the gut and seemed to vibrate every limb. My damaged ear seared once more in fresh agony, accompanied by a churning queasiness that dulled my eyes. The pain grew so intense that I let out a shameful obscenity-laden cry; no doubt my weariness had finally gotten the better of me. Arphenion, now more attentive, grew fleet of foot as he shot back down the stairs to find the damned druid and his insufferable drama. For a moment, I could feel the pull of curiosity on me, but the siege mentality had not fully set in. No matter how many countless shambling corpses poured through the door, I’d have a much better chance of survival staying on the top floor. And, of course, my momentary slip up would no doubt have alarmed whatever hid inside the closed off room.

I felt for my belt in the darkness, just beneath my loose shirt tail. There, hidden amongst tight folds of white cloth, was a newly found trinket courtesy of the room I’d just searched. Although not in eyesight, I could picture the new knife in the darkness in front of me. With a hilt carved from elk bone and decorated in scrawled Raiaeran, it curved in such a tantalizing way that I had to own it. Searching through the musty hides had been a trial. The windowless hunter’s station had only the faint hope of light from the druid’s ball downstairs. But the allure of steel had always called out to me, and it would make such a nice new surprise.

With wait and wary, I slowly pushed the door open in front of me. Like everything else in the damned cabin, it was coated in pollen that stuck to my hands from touching it; thankfully, it coated the door hinges too. There was no expected creak to be heard as I moved swiftly into the room, but maybe I should have found that odder. Perhaps if I had heeded the auspices more clearly; the sounds outside suddenly ceased, and an eerily pale, blue moonlight soaked every surface in sight.

There were three beds on each wall opposite, draped in ragged fur but almost freshly made. Nightstands and stools lay toppled over on the floor, and beneath them the planks seemed almost to sink like sand. Shingles from holes in the roof littered the ground, mingling with chunks of splintered wood and gravel once packed tight. But behind it all, near a lonely little window, knelt a strange black figure. It didn’t stir on my entry, it didn’t even seem to breathe, but somehow I still felt that unease one gets when an unknown pair of eyes focuses on them. Positioned as if in some long forgotten prayer, I knew I could try to take it unawares.

I was careful, so careful, as I slipped forward on spider’s feet. Though grayed, cracked, and foreboding, the floorboards and I seemed to have some silent agreement, and they did not betray my presence. After nimbly tip-toing over the debris and shuffling passed the upturned furniture, I stood within a foot of my target. Heavy though my eyes were, I felt a strange tingle in them. There was something all too familiar about this scene; but hesitation is the devil’s trick, and I knew I must act quickly. My new knife in hand, I stretched out my free fingers to attempt to grab a tuft of greasy-wet hair, when I sudden movement chilled me to the bone.

The figure’s head flung back with some unnatural force. I caught a pair of two milky white, dead eyes staring back at me. It was the youth from earlier, though obviously a bit worse for wear. The slit I’d given him on his pale neck had certainly approved his flexibility, and his disposition. That sweetly savored look of shock was long forgotten. Instead, a smile played on his twisted lips as he looked me dead in the eye. His mouth moved without so much as a sound, and his pupils danced back and forth, before stopped just to my left. As a cold sweat left my body dripping, I could see him attempt to speak, but not to me. From behind, two forceful hands gripped me with such strength that I damn near screamed in a fearful fury. I tried to move, but my captor would not hear of it. Sightless though they were, I could see them clear as day in my mind’s eye. The boy’s sister held me hostage, her iron fingers digging into my flesh. The moment I could break free, could speak again, I let loose a frenzied curse and wild swings of the knife.

Though only seconds long, the hellish eternity I felt had finally ended. The boy was gone, and when I shifted around, his sister was nowhere to be seen. The sounds of the horde outside began as if they never ceased, that harmonious discord that had haunted us since we entered; and with them, the sounds of Arphenion’s sharp boots rushing towards me.

“What is it? What did you see?” His face was grave, sterner still than normal of his dour race.

“Nothing,” I whispered, “nothing but some delirium, I hope. The druid?” He shook his head.

“The same or worse.”

“There’s a hearth downstairs. We have time before they manage to break in. Maybe we should rest, and warm ourselves by the fire.”

Comfort. Something I rarely sought; something I desperately needed.
    Last edited by Sulla; 03-22-15 at 02:02 PM.
    "The man who is to be great is the one who can be the most solitary, the most hidden, the most deviant, the man beyond good and evil, lord of his virtues, a man lavishly endowed with will - this is precisely what greatness is to be called: it is able to be as much a totality as something multi-faceted, as wide as it is full."

I Wish I Could Eat You Sun
    Hollow is my Crown
    Give Way To Bloom
    Glasses and Straight Razor

EXP: 38,568, Level: 8
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 5,432
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,432
    GP

Name
    Arphenion De Lecuyer
    Race
    Half-Elf (Raiaeran
    Hair Color
    Golden
    Eye Color
    Emerald
    Build
    5ft 6in / 130lbs
    Job
    Tap-touched Mage

View Profile
    I ghosted back down the stairs, legs light and heart racing. The lower room was flooded with eerie jade lights, swirling like the cosmos against the empty void. Images of the world beyond manifested in the power, skeletal faces smiling from the antifirmament. I could see the afterlife itself in the green haze. Forcefully, my attention shifted as I watched as the magic gently brushed one wall, rebounding in a curl and twisting back on itself. Against another it bled through the stone, wrapped around the face of a living corpse just outside the window. The soft celadon radiance cupped the growling beast like a lover, drawing it closer to the broken glass before clenching tightly and spraying a mess of blood and gray matter.

From beneath the door the light changed, taking on a folly hue. It seemed to ebb and flow like the tides as it slithered through the cracks and around the marble tabletop. Virklyn stopped trying to get the attention of the druid, instead unsteadily backing away from him. His eyes were wide as the amorphous red entity took shape. Woodsayer reached out with pleading hands, submissively bowing against his will. He lowered his head, drooping his skull mask to the ground, rivulets of charcoal tears streaming from the empty sockets. “Vas calrag, na dei. Na dei baezet Valrok!”

I tried to mutely seek answers from the heavy set man, but his eyes were emptily lost on the image that took form. The head of a stag grew from the top of the red swirl, antlers so large they touched the ceiling and passed through the sagging wood. Its snout was elongated, a whipping snake-like tongue teasing the air. From the thick neck grew legs, shaggy arms of a lion ending in raptor talons. It continued to grow, looming and filling the small room. I felt its eyes drift over each of us before finally stopping on me. The tongue lashed out like viper, barely missing my cheek as my body jerked to the side.

“Valrok!” The druid forcefully exhaled as the rest of the body took form. Instead of letting the phantom, demonic deer continue materialize, I lunged. With the longsword held upside down I rushed towards the boy. The air caught in my lungs, pushed back against my face, skin taunt as I shoved through it. Each step felt like sludge, my body moving slower despite the distance being little more than a handful of paces. The mire-like magic fought back, trying to keep me from the boy. As fury grew from confusion and panic I reacted, drawing magic from the depths of my core.

Around me the black and silver shadow that acted as the soul-link between myself and Xem’zund grew, enwrapping my body in an aura of deep gray light that crackled with black lightning. I felt it pulse through my arms, spark at the tips of my fingers and across the steel blade. My hair began to blacken as my eyes were consumed by the darkness, became liquid onyx with quicksilver tendrils swirling. My strength and speed benefiting from a burst of raw Tap energy, I surged towards the druid. The back of the blade found his temple, cracking the edge of the mask. He crumpled under his own weight.

“Arphenion?” I looked to Beastbreaker’s confounded expression. He slowly raised his weapon and shield and took a step towards me. I put up a hand, stopping him in his tracks. I meant the boy no harm, but coming out of a stupor the man only saw that his charge was in trouble. The darkness of the Tap retreated slowly, leaving me with ragged breath and a stimulation of the senses that made me shake. I backed away towards the stairway once again, sheathing the blade and letting the large man care to his partner.

“Tend to a fire,” I shakily said while I found the arm-rail and started back towards where I had left Sulla. I hoped that he would not speak of what he saw, but the question of what I looked like to him was on my mind. Was I the incarnation of the necromancer? A darkness more complete than anything that could dwell within the Lindequalmë? In the back of my mind I could hear the words of my false master. He whispered of exposure, the death of the armored man, or at that I should at least rip his tongue out in a bloody spray. “Shut up,” I muttered and left the two behind.
    Last edited by Ranger; 03-22-15 at 07:22 PM.

EXP: 1,909, Level: 1
    Level completed: 96%, EXP required for next level: 91
    Level completed: 96%,
    EXP required for next level: 91
    GP

Name
    Octavius Sulla Maecenas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'10', 165 lbs.
    Job
    Hitman/Killer

View Profile
    A roaring fire was the only thing we could think of to drown out the sounds of horror from outside; the writhing, twisted flame, as well, seemed to hypnotize us for the better. The druid’s orb had long since given up, but the hearth provided all the light we required we the quiet contemplation our group found itself in. Not a man amongst us spoke to another. Occasionally, Virklyn would shoot a glance Arphenion’s way, but the Salvaran would quickly dart his head when the half-elf noticed. Woodsayer, in seemed, was in his own little, barely conscious world. The most talkative amongst as, he rocked back and forth on a stool, muttering to himself in a language I did not recognize. So lost to the moment was he, that he had no complaints from when I slipped the waterskin from his hands. Such a resource was wasted on the mad.

Arphenion had never filled me in on the details, and to be honest, I did not care to know. Our siege had not ended, and not one of us remained unmolested from some savage vision. As I sat cross-legged on the floor, I could only wonder as to what went through the minds of my compatriots. As a youth, I’d seen the faces of Imperial Soldiers and Coronian Ranger’s during the Civil War. It filled me with a strange satisfaction back then, to see such hardened men brought low by the horrors of war. Strange to think my face, like the salvarans and elf, could tell such a tale now.

Each sip from the skin reminded me that I was much thirstier than I had realized; my throat was as dry as Fallien sands. Dwelling on it did no good, however, because acknowledging one want brought the blissful image of sleep back into mind. The pulsing from my damaged ear started to flow in tempo with a pitiful migraine from my delirium. The heat from the fire seemed to blur the air more and more as I tried to focus on it.

Had I trusted my companions more, I probably would have suggested sleeping shifts for us all. But as it stood, not one of our minds could be trusted to keep watch. Our senses were preoccupied, or worse, compromised, by whatever specter haunted the cabin. Though my body ached for the sweet touch of sleep, I refused the cries. It would have to be sated on a few, quick seconds of blinking. Indulging in the utter blackness of it was the closest thing I had to rest, so I savored it as best I could.

“At last, she’s here.” As I heard Woodsayer’s voice clearly for the first time in a long while, my eyes shot back open. The wood in front of me no longer burned with the natural ebb and flow of fire, and instead held a vaguely human form. Though ambiguous at best, I could still make out the arch of the hood and the simple curves of a woman. I knew, from some deep, black pit inside, who it belonged to.

“She’s been here all along.” How those words came to me, I was unsure, but they flowed with a natural resonance that seemed to fit quite nicely. And though my voice was but a whisper, somehow it rang clear through the air, so that all assembled turned at once in my direction. The sounds from outside had once again gone silent. Perhaps the hordes had moved on, now that their prey was so well entrenched.

“But she’s waited,” the druid said, standing up now on the stool and pointing into the fireplace, “waited for just this moment to appear.” Virklyn and Arphenion stood in unison, pointing along with him.

“Why now,” I said, “why there?”

“You wanted to kill her.” The elf seemed almost cheerful now. For a moment, I turned away from the flames to see him, grinning like a fool. “Am I wrong? Now’s your chance. You’ll have none better. Go for it.”

“If you’re able,” the warrior chimed in, a smile cheek to cheek. “Are you?”

Though my limbs were stiff, I fought my way to my feet. Every muscle moved felt as if I was waking up bit by bit. The Red Witch was in the hearth, I could almost see her eyes now. She stared at me in contempt, and I felt only bile in that gaze. Sickened by me, as one is from vermin invading a kitchen. The flames moved again, as if her hand was covering her mouth in some jest I was not privy to. I could feel the heat now, too, from the fire and from deep within. As I rose, my cheeks were flushed in new, hot life.

“Able and willing,” I cried as I dove head first towards the fire, the skinner’s blade I’d recovered earlier firmly in hand.
    "The man who is to be great is the one who can be the most solitary, the most hidden, the most deviant, the man beyond good and evil, lord of his virtues, a man lavishly endowed with will - this is precisely what greatness is to be called: it is able to be as much a totality as something multi-faceted, as wide as it is full."

Hollow is my Crown
    Give Way To Bloom

EXP: 38,568, Level: 8
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 5,432
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,432
    GP

Name
    Arphenion De Lecuyer
    Race
    Half-Elf (Raiaeran
    Hair Color
    Golden
    Eye Color
    Emerald
    Build
    5ft 6in / 130lbs
    Job
    Tap-touched Mage

View Profile
    The dour expression on the face of the large man would not pass by me. It lingered in my direction, always seeking further explanation. I watched him with my peripheral vision, hoping that he would remain silent. Each time I turned to look him in the eyes they fell, his attention quickly diverted to the pressing masses of undead at the entrance. Instead of ignoring his unease I focused on it. I could see the lines of worry etched into his forehead, his lips moving as if speaking to himself, and the tight grip he kept on the maul. While the demons within the mind of the boy manifested through his magic, the demons of the man fought him mutely. “Just end it,” , the slick voice whispered.

“Why?”

“If he speaks of what he saw he will link you to me. Your voice will be mine, your actions my bidding.”

“Is that not the case already?” Even with thought I could feel the condescending tone of the question. From the first time I had heard the voice of the great villain I had wondered what it meant. Was I a pawn of the man, despite his soul being forever trapped in a pocket of the Great Neather? In the place I had seen his true identity, his cruelty and hatred, and could feel that constantly present in my own mind. I had watched him torture the souls of my fellow Bladesingers, elven bards, and even a cleric of the Thayne. Was that the reason I had been sent back, to be his instrument on the world? Was I going to become him?

“Send his soul to me. Be rid of his insolence. I have given you the tools, use them.”

I focused on my hands. The tips of my fingers took on an ashen hue, veins pulsed black against my alabaster skin. Tools he called them. The desecration of my very soul manifested in my blood, became the sickening power he had bestowed upon me unwillingly. His corruption spread one knuckle at a time, slowly trickling its way towards my wrist. With it I felt the power of his desire. As quickly as I could I shot my gaze to the fire, trying to focus on the flames instead to let the spread diminish. Rage welled in my chest at the man, the loss of my squad reanimated and attempting to claw their way into the shelter, and all the years I had lost in the antifirmament.

Unintentionally, it was Sulla that brought my attention away from my misery. He stood in a stupor, as if drunk. His voice slurred words sloppily as he rose. From his side he unsheathed a dagger and gripped it tightly. The venom in his glazed eyes was so resolute it sent a shudder through my body. I stood as well and moved towards him. “Die,” he muttered under his breath as he lunged.

The fire popped and in that instant everyone moved. I grabbed the man’s hand but he spun, placing the palm of his hand into my throat. I felt the violent thrust cut off my breath, tears streaming from my eyes as pain surged. Both hands instinctually reached for my semi-crushed windpipe, letting go of him just in time for Virklyn to step in. He reached out and put a hand on Sulla’s shoulder but was not fast enough. The young man spun under the outstretched hand and brought his dagger in a wide arch, slipping the slim blade between hinges in the armor.

Even as blood trickled from the wound I could see the armored man ignore the pain. He continued his struggle, both of them swinging back and forth. The deadly intent of the dagger sought purchase, while Beastbreaker pulled punches and attempted to subdue. Finally Sulla was wrapped in the large arms of the man, pinned by his strength. I rushed forward to try and snap my companion of happenstance out of his mental battle. Instead I was met with both feet, flat against my chest and shoving me backwards. The force was enough to push the heavily armored man backwards. Unsteadily his heels met a shattered chair and he fell backwards.

The combined weight of the two men crashed heavily against the ground. Boards shattered, nails buckled, and both spilled into a large cavernous opening. I watched them tumble into the darkness of a cellar and out of sight. In that moment the groans and growls became cries of frenzy, the scratching replaced with the heavy thump of metal against wood. I turned to the door, watching as the edge of a dull axe bludgeoned through. Woodsayer reached into the hearth and pulled a large branch from the flames, tossing it at the door. “Downstairs, hurry!”

I could see the flickering flame find old wood, the dry tinder catching almost instantly. There was little choice but to follow the rest into the darkness, and hopefully safety from the undead and each other.

GP

Name
    Octavius Sulla Maecenas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'10', 165 lbs.
    Job
    Hitman/Killer

View Profile
    The line of dream and waking was often foggiest in those interim seconds between the two. One moment, I could almost feel the heat of the Red Witch’s breath on my neck as I dove towards her naked little husk. But the trickery she excelled at was boundless and all-consuming. I’d felt her wicked hands grab at me from every direction, the same way I felt that heifer warrior woman’s hours earlier. That feeling of restraint boiled my blood into a frenzy, and blinded me from my goal. Podë would have to wait for my fury, as I dealt with her duplicity in due course. Direct combat such as this had never been my specialty, but I wasn’t without ability to defenses.

I slashed wildly at anything that dared to touch me, feeling the hot drip of blood on my hand when I scored a hit. My assailants were faceless, formless beasts born of some hell that was desperate to meet me, but I would be damned before they had my head. When a pair of strong arms managed to wrangle me tightly, it was all I could do but plant a wild kick at the shapeless specter that came in front of me.

After that, all I could see was dim and gloom. My senses returned, albeit slower than I’d wanted them to. I lay atop Virklyn, whose wide-eyed stare met my own as I turned to him. Slick crimson caught the firelight above us, which grew in intensity as the druid and the elf made their way down to wherever we were. They were frantic, sweating messes who looked upon me with a mixture of pity and fear, no doubt a consequence of whatever I’d done. I could put the pieces together, see the wounds and feel the slickness of my knife to know that the damned witch had clouded my mind somehow. But my companions gave me little time to think on matters. As crackling fire gave way to the smash of wood and the crashing of that stone table, I knew what was to follow. The chorus of the undead was in its crescendo, less wails and moans and more a hearty cry to battle. Behind us a horde of rot, and in front of us…The unknown.

A cabin that size had no need for such a cavernous basement, which seemed to stretch in murkiness for miles on end. There were no clear confines beside the walls at are sides, as the infinite stretched out behind and beyond. Virklyn and I rose to our feet in quick succession, the warrior eyeing me warily until I slipped the knife back into my belt. Arphenion, thankfully, kept his priorities in mind, picking up a few of the longer scattered chunks of wood and handing them to each man. Woodsayer had them alight as we walked forward, unsure of where to go, but desperate to flee the marching dead behind us. I took lead, though not by choice. The Salvaran brute pushed me to the front as we set off; partly to watch the rear for ambush and partly, I suspect, to keep me from stabbing him again. I have to give him some credit for that move. Not only did he show cleverness far beyond his muscle, but he managed to take a proper knifing like a champ, that dripping blood barely slowing his stride.

Our group kept the pace at nearly a jog, feeling out the sunken brickwork as the tunnel turned a bit. The moans quieted a little the further we went, but they never stopped completely; their constant hum a worthy enough war drum to keep our blood pumping. We had little time to admire the shoddy wooden shelves of poultices on the walls, or the damp dirt floor beneath our feet. Before we knew it, the tunnel had begun to widen, until we found ourselves in a much larger chamber. It was hard to say how deep beneath the earth we were, only that construction at the depth was quite an extraordinary feat.

“What is this place?” Virklyn seemed to have a little trouble speaking now, his teeth biting in to his bottom lip. From torchlight alone we made out a room no constructed not of the plain stonework we’d traveled in, but bright red brick. The ancient craftsmanship still managed some sense of awe in me, even if parts of it cracked and crumbled into dust. But it was what was inside those little crevices that were of most interest. The warrior moved closer to inspect the darkness, holding his torch right up to what looked like a flower. It was claret in color, spotted with tiny pustules of white on its massive petals. In the center, where one would assume it kept its seeds, was a gaping maw that filled me with a sense of dread to my very core. From within that pit, faint vapors of yellow seemed to float out.

”Pollen.”

Hollow is my Crown
    Give Way To Bloom

GP

Name
    Octavius Sulla Maecenas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'10', 165 lbs.
    Job
    Hitman/Killer

View Profile
    Out of Character:

Hollow is my Crown
    Give Way To Bloom

Administrator
    EXP: 81,363, Level: 12
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 8,637
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,637
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks