Rouge
    Build
    6'3"/300lbs
    Job
    Hunter/Makai Slayer/Spirit Warder

View Profile

~I, the hunter.~

[Closed to Redford. All necessary bunnying approved.]

[Continued about two-three months after the events shown here: ~Contender~ the show much go on! Note this battle is part of a series.]

Life had a sometimes twisted way of putting mortals, and immortals, in their place.

After his battle with Rehtul Orlouge, Humphrey Nonyton learned a lot about himself. He learned he was capable of defeating terribly strong foes...at the cost of his own life. Power has a price. Humphrey thought as the shadow of The Citadel's structure loomed around him, placing a taint on Corone itself. He knew he'd done something unspeakable to Rehtul Orlouge, but it was The Citadel, and rules were different. I wanted to win. Out in the wild, he would have behaved entirely different. The boy burned the chi, life essence of the trees to sustain his own power. Are we truly that different? Humphrey thought as he looked at the ever open obsidian gates of The Citadel.

Crowds of people lingered on the building's grounds.

Some were contenders, some were spectators, and still others were gamblers.

Humphrey looked at the now familiar form of the master dwarf that guided him in his previous battle with Rehtul. It had been some months since that event, but every time he closed his eyes he could see the image of Rehtul's dying face before the warder symbol burnt his body to ash. It had proven too effective...maybe... Humphrey did not dare to complete that thought. He knew he'd grown strong in a short period of time, but that strength demanded sacrifice. Humphrey walked casually towards the master dwarf that aided him in the previous match. He was speaking to two young contenders about registration it seemed. Humphrey made it to that position and folded his arms across his chest. He waited for the master dwarf to conclude his business.

When the two young contenders made their way towards their chamber, one turned towards Humphrey and nodded at him with something like respect.

Humphrey nodded back.

The Citadel was going to become a second home, and Humphrey was rapidly learning of it's customs and traditions.

He then turned his attention to the master dwarf. "Master dwarf." Humphrey said with respect that was genuine.

"Ah, the young hunter." The master dwarf looked at Humphrey and nodded politely. He then continued to speak. "Brilliant show you had of your last match. You fought until the very end. You should know that the boy, Rehtul, has since recovered well from his ordeal."

"That is good to hear." Humphrey said flatly, almost coldly. It's not that he didn't care about Rehtul's well being...it was that Rehtul had attempted to kill him. I have to remember where I am. Contenders here are likely seeking blood sport. I can't feel bad over a Citadel match...it's just like throwing out the trash, you just do it. But Humphrey was not being honest to himself. A part of his soul weighed heavily with the outcome of that battle. He did not speak to anyone about the apparition that had visited him in the end. That was his business alone. Humphrey looked at the master dwarf. "I am here for more training. I am eager to continue my studies after that last battle." He said calmly and stared off into the distance.

"Would you like the same chamber?" The master dwarf asked in response.

Humphrey simply nodded. "If that can be arranged."

"All right. Humphrey my boy, remember not to loose sight of yourself when pleasing the Thayne of War." And the master dwarf proceeded to make the proper arrangements for Humphrey.

Something about this doesn't sit well with me. Humphrey thought to himself as The Citadel arena manifested before his eyes. It is true that they love warfare and bloodshed. But killing that boy...didn't seem right to me. It didn't feel correct. But there's little I can do about it now. Humphrey blinked and the world-that-was-not-real appeared before him. Somehow, the illusions that The Citadel's monks created were so complete that they could fool even the kitsune's enhanced senses. The forest and fields of Akashima manifested before Humphrey's eyes. The magical arts of the monk filled Humphrey's imagination with wonder and awe. This is the only positive aspect of The Citadel...however...I must use it to grow stronger. Humphrey gave the master dwarf specific instructions for his opponent. He was looking to fight a very specific Citadel contender.

The sky above was a pale blue sky, and Althanas's sun shone brightly overhead.

The temperature was pleasant and the breeze came in from the South with a subtle chill to it. His fur could keep him warm. Humphrey was standing a few paces from the open chamber doors, his eyes closed in deep meditation. No matter what he did, he could not shake the almost ethereal sound of Rehtul Orlouge's dying scream. His face haunted him even while he was awake. He knew that Rehtul was likely an enemy and would remain as such. The Citadel was not the place one went to make friends. It was a place of battle songs and warfare. As Humphrey stood there meditating, he could feel the uncomfortable rage building up in his heart with every passing moment. During his battle with Rehtul Orlouge, something awful had happened, and awakened a sleeping evil from deep in Humphrey's soul.

Humphrey stood at the ready, his long katana prepared. He held the elegant Akashiman weapon in one hand, the angled blade's tip pointing towards the ground. It cast a shadow on the grass beneath him, his eyes closed and his long hair rippling in the wind.

Humphrey waited for the enemy to arrive so they could entertain the masses.

This is all bullshit if you ask me...but I am starting to like it...Thayne help me. I am starting to like it. Humphrey thought, and ever present in the back of his mind was Rehtul Orlouge's face...
    Last edited by ~Humphrey_Nonyton~; 06-16-15 at 03:10 PM.