Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile

The Truth we Left Behind - Solo

This story follows the events of "The Gnarled Roots of Osiris" But! Can be read as its own story.
    Gnarl Solo - The Truth we Left Behind

Gnarl stared at his own reflection; his eye’s filled with a rage that he hadn’t felt since he arrived here. Where were all these feelings coming from again? Had they been there all the time? Or were they resurfacing after a long absence of nothing but peace; a false relaxed persona that was nothing more than an emotionless abyss. An Abyss of lies and redirection to avoid the truth, a truth that told him he was hiding from who he really was.

He liked it here, he liked the Fenrith family. They had taken him in when he needed it most, they had sheltered and fed him in exchange for a helping hand and a friendly face. They were like a new family to him, one that would never replace his past, but one that he had hoped could shape his future. This future could no longer happen, and he couldn't walk away and let the Fenriths suffer, he had experienced this scenario in the past and it would not let it be their present.

His reflection blurred as a few watery shimmers waved to the shoreline. The Bradbury Lake was so beautifully clean and fresh, but as the clear evening sky dimmed for night to fall in, it allowed for a vivid reflection as he knelt beside the water's edge. His blue eyes looked both angry and sad at the same time, the expression of an emotionally torn man. Then familiar memories flooded his mind as he finished painting his face, carefully avoiding his freshly trimmed beard as he ran his two fingers smoothly along his cheeks and eyes with the black mud liquid.

He rubbed his fingers in the wet of the lake and watched as the muddy paint washed off. The black circling his eyes was full of memories, and the dark falling lines of his war paint was something he had not seen on himself in some time. In this moment, he had the chance to change his mind, he had the opportunity to wash his face and return to normality; but he wouldn't.

Letti arrived hastily, scrambling up the small grassy slope in an attempt to find Gnarl as he prepared to go to war. He was beginning to sit up, staring across the lake's surface with the orange glow of the setting sun drifted off behind the dull grey of the distant mountains edge. This pronounced Gnarl's black silhouette against the suns fiery light as a prominent feature to which Letti could not miss.

She adjusted her torn dress, no longer the clean white it used to be, dragging and holding the ripped strap up and over her shoulder. She stroked her long brown hair back over her head, leaving a small drape to cover her left eye; the bruised cheek bone and black eye a reminder to why he was about to go. She knew exactly what he was planning, but he was about to do it for them and she knew that to, she accepted it.

Fighting was something her family couldn't do, they dare not even think it. For it was scary, filling her with indecision and uncertainty, but even then, there was something beautiful about it. Something only this man, Gnarl, could do.
    Last edited by Gnarl & Root; 05-29-17 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Spelling fixed
    The Destroyer of Worlds

Part 1: The Gnarled Roots of Osiris
    - Philomel ~ "One of the best "opening" threads by any character I have ever read."
    Part 2: The Truth we Left Behind
    -Currently writing-

Reaching beyond the stars
    EXP: 4,150, Level: 2
    Level completed: 72%, EXP required for next level: 850
    Level completed: 72%,
    EXP required for next level: 850
    GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile

Mauka

Bardbury, Corone. The second largest of the four baronies, and a difficult place to earn a good living. The lower middle class are in strong numbers here, with the majority living and working off the massive barony itself.

The mild climate makes it suitable for various types of crops and the flood of vegetable types and a few fruit, all come in their thousands. It takes great man power to survey and control this land, first to grow and maintain it, but also to protect it from thieves.

Sitting as far inland as the orchards go, rests the locally named worker village of Mauka. It sits peacefully by the far reaches of the Bardbury Lake and is the last stop before the mountains. The Bardbury's youngest son lives here, with his own home dwarfing the surrounding lesser community; which runs often recklessly under his watch. Yet, as long as the profits continue, the way of life here is set in its ways.

Working tirelessly to keep the place a float, the Fenrith family have made a living here. Now a widowed father of one, Ghello continues simply to ensure his daughter's success and safety. Late in the afternoon the working day is coming to a close but Ghello is always determined to finish his final job.

The ground crunched under the weight of the rock as it rolled and rocked over the thin path. Ghello and Gnarl pushed, adjusting for its uneven shape as they tried to control its movement away from the crops. It was a slow, demanding and tiring job; clearing the boulders from the land edge was never easy, but it had to be done.

The majority of workers were now idle, heading home to get some much needed rest, but since Gnarl had arrived here, Ghello had found more inspiration to get the tougher jobs finished. They heaved again, the heavy weight seemingly getting heavier as they tired, but the final few pushes were worth every ache and every bit of difficulty.

Thud. The rock came to halt as they reached their destination, no longer impeding their flat land or moving wagons when they harvested, they could use the thin path with greater ease from now on.

"We have some pretty fine potato's for tonight," Ghello smiled elatedly as he wiped the bead of sweat from his tired brow. "I reckon we earned them after today."

"You think they will be better than last time?" Gnarled smirked in a gesture to the previously burnt attempt.

"Oh, haha! Well, I'll put them in the oven before she does!" They chuckled between themselves, the young friendship already able to mock one another's previously failed dinner attempts. Gnarl had integrated well into this life, similar to his past experience and eager to find something to take away from his recent pains. He liked it here.

Ghello checked around them, they were more than alone at this point and while there was some time before the sun would set, it was a chance to get something off his mind.

"Gnarl, I know this all started as us helpin' you. But I've never thanked you for all da help you've given us. When I broke my arm the night we met...I figured I'd lost my job here, and it's about time I thanked you for stoppin' that from happenin'..."

Ghello took a long pause with a deep breath. "Losing her mum was tough on her, I dunno how we'd have coped without your help. Got to keep her safe you know." He held out his hand, the expressed desire to finally seal a friendship that had come as a surprise to them both, but seemingly at the right time for the two of them.

Gnarl wrapped his hand around his with a firm grip. "I appreciate that."

"While we're at it. I'm gonna offer you the chance to join us tomorrow night. We play cards monthly against Hasen Bardsbury. No one ever beats um. So I wouldn't take much with you, but it's his way of showing us he's not a soulless git, I mean, leader."

Gnarl laughed and gratefully accepted. It would be something new for him, a chance to alternate from his usual daily and nightly pattern. Gnarl figured they thought he was bored, but that wasn't the case, he enjoyed living here, he enjoyed being part of something that didn't revolve around fighting and killing. That life, that place of inconsolable pain, while not forgotten, was remaining hidden at the back of his mind. It was his past, not his future. He would escape it with this life.

He had just done a tough days work, now he could come home, have a wash in clean water and then relax in a warm room with inviting friends.

Living by the lakeside had great benefits, besides the ability to go fishing, it was easy to go for a quick wash, or even, when he could sneak it, a fun swim. Gnarl loved the simplicity of this place, the small wooden homes, while not extravagant by any means, were warm and personal. The wide spread layout of the houses gave lots of space, even if they weren't specious inside; they were what they were.

Gnarl loved the beauty of this place, he could wake up to look over the sun reflecting lake side, or he could go for a morning walk through the lush green trees of the orchard, and peer up at the beautiful but daunting looking mountains. Even his short walk home now, it was relatively peaceful and he could enjoy the summer sun as it gradually tanned his chest and shoulders.

Arriving back in Mauka Gnarl stripped off his clothes and walked in the nude up the small home side pier. Their personal jetty, while not isolated was only really used by themselves. There were no walls to hide his modesty, but Gnarl while not overly muscular, was visibly toned and slim. His fit physique came through years of hard graft and training; and thus he wasn't shy.

Diving feet first into the water Gnarl went straight under. He felt himself tense up, his eyes widened and his throat gasped for more air as he surfaced; the water was freezing. His jaw trembled as he let out a loud grunt and wheeze to the cold - the first few moments were always the worst. Fortunately he only took a few moments to get used to the cold, and the sweat washed right off ad he quickly freshened up from the beautiful blue hue of the clear water. He shook his head like a dog as he returned to shore and collected his clothes, wrapping his pre-gathered towel around himself and then stared down into the water - so clear he could see the lakebed.

"Your foods ready!" Letti called out in almost perfect timing.

Ghello's daughter was lively and arguably the friendliest person Gnarl had ever met, more importantly her kind heart was mainly responsible for him being here in the first pace. She opened the door to let him, dressed in her usual brown pants and loose top. She never dressed like the common woman here, no dresses or jewellery to look pretty, she didn't seem to desire the search for a partner.

He walked past her quickly, trying not to flash to much of himself as he dashed into his room. They often exchanged the odd smile, but in truth their relationship was more sibling than lust. She watched him shut the door to his room and pressed herself against the wood in preparation to tease him. Twirling her long curly black hair in between her fingers with anticipation, she had to calm her giggles before she spoke.

"I hope the neighbours didn't see you on the pier again. I heard Isleya was errr....spying on you."

"I hope not!" His voice bellowed out through the wood of the door.

"No really, I think she's into you." She enjoyed winding him up, the chatterbox of a woman next door hadn't spied on him but she knew of Gnarl's distaste in her.

Letti chewed on the end of her hair as she imagined Gnarls horror to her obnoxious neighbour. A lustful comment Isleya had barked to upon Gnarl's arrival was enough to have him steer clear of her ever since.

"At least he seems to have a woman lookin at um." Ghello called out from the table.

Letti pouted at her father's raised eyebrow, she had always shown a greater interest in the local forge than in that of the opposite sex; it was her passion. She wandered across the room, the living and dining room essentially all one in the same within their small home.

"Are you suggesting I should have woman lookin at me?" Letti mused.

"Give ova," Ghello replied getting annoyed at the wonky table. "Sometimes I think um the only dad in Mauka that doesn't need to worry about the young lads getting ya pregnant. You wouldn't get away with this in other parts of the world."

He knelt down and replaced the loose wedge he had used to steady the uneven table leg, grunting at the fact he really needed a new one.

Gnarl then rushed out of his room, the creaking door almost slamming into the wall as he hurried out. The food was already prepared and plated on the table, with both Ghello and Letti patiently awaiting his presence. They all smiled as Gnarl took a seat, dressed similarly to Ghello in their loose and relaxed outfits. Adjusting his collar Gnarl knocked his short hair back to stop any final dripping before rubbing his rough beard with his fore arm. In his haste he hadn't dried properly, and Letti laughed at him with her beautiful, wide smile.

Gnarl smirked back. This is bliss.
    Last edited by Gnarl & Root; 05-29-17 at 05:22 AM.
    The Destroyer of Worlds

- Philomel ~ "One of the best "opening" threads by any character I have ever read."
    -Currently writing-

GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile
    The slight tickle of fur ran under Gnarls nose and the urge to sneeze or roll over arose in him, his eyes flickered open to the waking morning light. Root, his beloved feline friend sat beside his face, his tail flicking, as if annoyed, over Gnarls nose and face. The grey and black furry image was clear to Gnarl, even in the most blurry of morning hazes. He wiped the back of his hand over his eyes, rubbing the sleep from himself as he rolled off his side and onto his back.

It felt like he had slept too much, over sleeping during a comfortable but long night. It had been a tiring day on the orchard yesterday and while few days were actually days off, he was going to make this one of the few. The urge to lay in often came at this point, but as he yawned the loudest and widest of yawns to greet the new day, he would force himself out of the lazy mood. He sat up, hanging his legs over the bed side and rubbed his eyes again, his hair a little scruffy, his usually neat clothes left in a dump on the floor, and his mouth a little dry.

"Good morning, Root." He smiled scratching the itch of his rough facial hair.

Letti had insisted on him going to forge with her today. He wasn't sure why, it wasn't like he hadn't been there before, but she sounded somewhat excited last night. Standing up, stretching and rolling his shoulders, he loosened up before picking his clothes to get dressed. His small little box room was all he needed, the bare wooden walls were just that, and besides the bed, only a dresser and old wooden chest remained in the room.

He looked at the old chest, nothing more than a dust gathering box really, its latch broken, and its lid ever so slightly ajar as its contents remained too big to be fully concealed. The belongings of his old life before he started here, his clothes and weapons hidden from view, all chucked recklessly into a chest not quite big enough to hold it. Leaving the buckler shield to hold the lid open like a small peep hole; it's circular shape and steel rim just caught the light from the darkness of the chest to remind him it was still there.

Gnarl had looked at it every day, like a morning ritual he would glance at it, eying the edge of the buckler, then looking away to move on with his life. He didn't want to be that anymore, but it always hurt, he had to forget it and he would never go back.

Once dressed he smiled back at Root, he didn't talk too much these days, maybe it was because he was waiting for something, or maybe it was the thin walls. Neither of them had given away that Root could talk, and as much as they had come to love Ghello and Letti, the idea of telling them seemed pointless. If Root didn't talk, then Gnarl wasn't going to make himself sound crazy.

Letti sat at the table, her posture suggesting impatiently as she slouched with her legs up high, but with Ghello either out or still asleep, she had no one to answer to. Gnarl entered with Root on his shoulders, somewhat of a classic image to Letti, the morning routine of arriving together had been the same since they arrived.

"Good morning!" She called out, the excited tone still simmering within her voice. "Eat up, eat up!"

She leapt up and positioned Gnarl towards the table before pushing the morning bread towards him. He raised his eyebrow at her, knowing full well what she was doing as she smiled back cheekily. Root jumped down onto the table with a thud, only to be grabbed by Letti as she swept him up in her arms.

"No Root, you're not allowed on the table." She proclaimed as she cuddled him, rubbing her nose into his. She could smell some sort of fragrance on him, a light flowery smell that was rather pleasant. "Where on earth have you been? You do get some funny smells. You been rummaging through the flowers again?"

It made Gnarl smile when he could see how much Letti cared with Root rubbing his head back into hers, sometimes getting tangled in her long brown hair. There was something rather cute about it and it warmed his heart. "You know I could eat this as we walk if you would prefer to hurry?"

"That would be great!" Her eyes shot wide open like a child. Whatever it was she had planned it must have been good.
    Last edited by Gnarl & Root; 05-29-17 at 05:39 AM.
    The Destroyer of Worlds

-Currently writing-

GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile
    It wasn't a long walk down to the forges and blacksmiths in the centre of Mauka, but it was beautiful. While surrounded by the orchards in every direction but the lake, the very streets were peaceful and quiet. Tree's stemmed the roadside and a multitude of colours lit up every crevice of grass and dirt, blooming the town into a parade of powerful purples; blossoming blues and loving lilacs, which complimented the glorious greens of the healthy vegetation of the land.

Small road side ditches had become a series of streams that trickled into the Bardbury Lake, and the odd wild apple tree had snuck its way in with the massive Birch and Sycamore trees that littered Mauka. Most if not all the workers knew each other and many a wave greeted them as they travelled into the town center. Letti, hair tied back in a bun, showed no signs of nerves and instead remained excited about her little surprise. She hadn't stopped talked about her job since they set off, which in turn worked well for Gnarl as he took his time eating the bread she had given him at the morning table.

Yet with no sign of stopping the chit chat, she multitasked preparing herself for work, tying the small old but still somewhat white apron around her short self. Her baggy dress and pretty face always looked a little out of place for her type of work; making tools and working metal during the day, but still, she enjoyed it and she remained proof that appearances could be deceiving. Gnarl on the other hand, embellished her oddity, he may have been dressed as the average man, but his defined face, bold blue eyes and clear deeper toned voice from his foreign place of birth, stood out as different.

Root, constantly sitting on his shoulders like some sort of pet bird didn't help with this oddity, no one else in Mauka had any animal accompany them anywhere, so it wasn't uncommon to receive an strange and curious look from the public. Yet even with all the strange differences, they were accepted in this community and its way of life.

The buildings were larger in the center, double stories and extensions on most of them, well built from the finest trees of Corone, and they looked the better for it. A small open square centered the town, and in it, the many shops of Mauka. Here Letti worked her trade, being trained and apprenticed by the local blacksmith and his son. It was never bustling with trade here, this was never a large trading down, but it was enough for the locals and the custom was constant enough for this town the flow.

"Alright. Wait here while I get you something!" Letti cleared off before Gnarl could say okay.

He muttered an acknowledgment under his breath as she dashed into the open extension of the blacksmith. Skipping around the many workbenches and tools as she disappeared into the main building. The loud tapping of the blacksmith himself echoed out into the square, his long heavy swings of his black hammer smashing down into the heated metal that he shaped. The occasional spark leaping up at him like a shooting star in the night sky, this never made him flinch, and somehow, it never accidently lit his long curly beard on fire.

"Morning, Gnarl." He croaked with his rough voice while continuing his flowing swinging of his hammer.

"Good morning, Dameist." Gnarl replied as he lazily leaned against the nearest pillar.

The warm smell of the furnace hung under Gnarls nose as he waited, and Dameist didn't often look up from his workstation; focused on his work like a loved one staring at their partner, nothing else in the world seemed to matter to him. Gnarl could take the fact he knew his name as a big compliment, but engaging him in full conversation was another matter.

Then Letti came scurrying back, her hands hidden behind her, holding something that took both hands to hide. Gnarl actually began to feel a little excited, what on earth could she had got for him? He thought of the other shops in town, very few appealed to him, but even those that did were far from something he really wanted.

"I made you something." For the first time a nervous look came over her, and Gnarls curiosity grew like a flame to kindling. "I've been making this for a few weeks now, on and off when I could fit it in. I really hope you like it."

"Well I really want to know what it is." His stomach, let alone his mind tingled with anticipation. What could she had made that would make her so nervous?

"Here..." She revealed it to him nervously, and the most beautiful thing came into view. It was an axe. Yet it was no ordinary axe, baring a light green hue to it and decorated with a series of small delicate carvings on the axe head. It was a symbol of more than just a weapon, it was his past, it was his past pain and past love, it was a compilation of the most important things in his life.

He took it carefully in his hands, his heart beating hard as his mind trembled with thoughts of what this meant to him. It was a carefully constructed plynt hand axe with rywan wood. It was so beautifully made too, the axe head was very sharp and shaped to perfection. Then marked along the edge of the metal their names, followed by a spiral of symbols that made up part of his life. There was a home at first, followed by a heart in a bubble, separated by a dash of four bars, then a mountain, a droplet of water and then a cat.

"I used to listen to you at night." Letti explained. "Your nightmares, your sorrow...Your pain. So I made you this, which will always remind you of us. You can see the mountains in the north, the lake in the east, and your home in the middle, with Root, me and Ghello."

Gnarl had to take a deep breath. It had been some time since he had mentioned the past, and even longer since the nightmares. She lingered by the workshop pillar, her foot twitching nervously, her eyes low to the dusty floor as she bit her lip in anticipation to his reponse.

"It's beautiful Letti," he smiled, taken in by the effort she had gone through to make this.

"Great!" She cheered as her face lit right back up with the removed tension. "I put in a home and heart in the west."

"Yes, I was gonna ask what that was." Gnarl asked a little confused to the design as he inspected it carefully.

"Father always told me, after mum died. That you leave the past in the West, and while you never forget it, you move on forward in the East. Sometimes you even revisit the West, but you always come back to the East. The East is your future."

"Wow, that's really beautiful Letti," Gnarl tried to hide the tear that welled up in him, his right eye trying to give in and bail out a series of emotional tears. "Why the west?"

"We buried mum in the West." Her explanation made sense on a personal and emotional level. Ghello had never spoken much about her mother's death, this was probably the only way they could deal with it.

Gnarl felt like he paused in time, he could feel Root's rough tongue licking his cheek as he drifted into deep thought. Some tears escaped him without resistance, this young woman before him and her father had already done so much for him, but this really was a symbol of true belonging. He had lost so much in the past, and at times he had wanted to forget it all, but as she reminded him right now he shouldn't ever forget. Being the last of his family to be alive, maybe this was where he was supposed to move forward and continue to love them with his memory.

"Gnarl?" She called to him, placing her hand on his.

"Sorry," Gnarl jumped back from his memories and back into the kind grip of Letti before him. "I lost myself for a moment."

"You alright?" She asked caringly.

"Yes," Gnarl smiled emotionally. "I'm okay.
    Last edited by Gnarl & Root; 05-29-17 at 05:57 AM.
    The Destroyer of Worlds

-Currently writing-

GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile
    Gnarl silenced any concerns with the rarest of hugs. Something he hadn't given anyone since his arrival here and Letti knew how much that meant. The embrace was a long one as Gnarl cradled her in his arms caringly, any potential boyfriend would have been jealous at the sight.

It was unfortunate that such an experience was cut short, the passing of a Bradbury family always drew attention whether they wanted it or not. Gnarl stepped hastily into the shelter of the blacksmiths, Letti held tight under his arm as he lifted her out of the way.

The bold Hasen Bradbury, confident with every long stride of his posh black boots. The smug grin that paraded his handsome smooth face was that of an arrogant and selfish man. His long blonde hair hung to his chin, his blue eyes sparkled and his firm jaw strongly defined. He was a magnet, and the women often threw themselves at him like hormonal teenagers. He was after all wealthy, physically fit and held the confidence of leader amongst men.

Gnarl had taken the wise choice to steer clear since he had first met him. The brash, over-confident young man had made a great impression without even directly speaking to Gnarl. When he had a point to make, he made it with great passion: shouting, assaulting, humiliating, and reminding the workforce just who he was.

Thankfully, Hasen spent little time on the actual orchards, stepping out on the odd occasion he had to be seen doing his duties for his father. The town of Mauka was essentially his, and while everything continued to flow, his father wouldn't question a thing.

His men, dressed smart, were all lightly armed, their holstered weapons swaying with their confident cocky walk. Their purple tunics all clean and well kept, beyond that of the actual hard working folk of the town. They were in their own world and they cared nothing about the actual town workforce. Like two different worlds colliding, they stood out, clearly superior to that of the common man. No worker on the orchards wore a purple coloured tunic, and no wealthy man would wear anything less.

"You shouldn't be so concerned about him Gnarl." Letti pouted.

"Well, I have to play cards with him tonight, so I'd like to spend as little time with him as possible." Gnarl watched him wearily as they moved off across the square. A few girls flirtatiously waving at him like some kind of celebrity, which he lapped up excitedly.

Such fools to expect anything from such a man.

Gnarl resented the fact such a person could be so popular, especially with the women. In his mind, no one like that deserved such attention, but no matter how much he believed it, the world disagreed.

"Gnarl," Letti tugged on his arm to get his attention, the short girl almost childlike when she looked at him with this green pearls that were who eyes. "What are you doing today anyway?"

"I honestly don't know. I had planned on a rest today, you know. Before you asked me to get up early!" Gnarl smiled cheekily. "Seriously though, I guess I should leave you to work and I'll go for walk."
    Last edited by Gnarl & Root; 05-29-17 at 06:06 AM.
    The Destroyer of Worlds

-Currently writing-

GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile
    Letti waved with the kindest of smiles. Her small beautiful frame that of the opposite to the typical muscular metal welding workman. It was most certainly odd to see such a girl working within a blacksmith, a rose petal upon the ashy fires of the forge. Yet she did it with a smile, and worked as hard as any other, even if they were all boys around her no one could accuse her of being soft.

Dameist had been open minded to her working here, and much to others surprise she had proven her worth many times over. Dameist was far past questioning her competence.

She tied her apron around herself, the repetitive morning setup was just that, yet it never felt that way to her. It made her happy to be working, to be creating something from the hot mix of metal; the smell, the heat, the colour, every second within this place was harmony.

"You're late today." Dameist coughed while chiselling away.

"Not deliberately. Gnarloc was slow getting up."

Dameist liked Letti, but he wasn't about to let her get sloppy at work. He treated her as he did everyone else, equal to the rules and order of the shop. This had been more important lately as they completed a particularly large order for the Bradburys. Replacing and updating old tools had become a big part of their trade here, and Letti's present to Gnarl has been delayed because of the recent rush of work.

"Do you think he liked it?" She gauged his reaction, always appreciative of his opinion.

His eyebrow raised, looking up at her as if to peer over some glasses. Then his eyes fell back to the tool he skillfully chiselled between his hands. "Do you really need to ask that question?"

"Yes. I mean, he looked away, like, he was thinking of something bad." Her eye's shadowed by worry.

"Letti, you brim with confidence when you work here. Are you asking me to question the quality of your work?"

"That's not fair. I've never worked and carved in plynt before."

Dameist rolled his eyes, picked his nose and then continued. The sound of the forge, bashing, sparking metal, followed by the burning flames took over any further concerns. Letti didn't like to dwell, but at least she asked to clear her mind. For the next few hours, she would persist in tool moulding, their order bearing its end, it would be a weight off the whole shop should they get this complete.

Letti felt the hot rising steam as she plunged the soon to be trowel into the cold water. The sweat dripped down her forehead, she never got used to the heat. Then slamming her hammer into the soft heated metal as it cooled, she levelled it out flat. The tongues holding it still as she focused carefully and forcefully on its shape.

Hasen Bradbury pressed his hands into the wooden stall by the entrance. Leaning in as he peered across at Dameist.

"Come in." Dameist invited as politely as he could.
    Last edited by Gnarl & Root; 05-29-17 at 06:05 AM.
    The Destroyer of Worlds

-Currently writing-

GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile

Arrival in Bradbury

Gnarl took a long deep breath as he continued to wander down the long dry mud path. The heat from the sun had long since over heated him as his entire body struggled to cope with the temperature. The leather armour clothing was not helping as he sweated profusely from every inch of his body. Gnarl felt disgustingly sweaty and dirty and if not for this, he usually enjoyed the sunshine. He walked topless, unable to retain wearing his top as the heat took hold, while on his left arm he held his buckler shield with his top draped over. His axe swung with his steps from his belt and his faithful companion, Root, walked with a smart trot beside him.

The path was commonly but heavily walked, with the dry grass gradually making way for the drier dirt beneath. He had passed but one person since taking this road over the hills and while surrounded with a beautiful scenic route to walk through, it was a long, hot walk to undertake alone. Sweat dripped down his forehead, his chest and his back, the sun slowly tanned him and his water reserve was long gone. The sight of the budding blue lake from the hills had attracted him to continue, but as they lowered down the hillside the large bushes and then orchards seemed to block the view.

Gnarl knew it wasn't much farther as he entered this mass of flat farm land but its sheer size was misleading when everything before him was towering overhead. These trees and their hexagonal shaped leaves bore much fruit, still a ripening green as they grew under the summer weather, were unrecognisable by Gnarl - this was something new, just like everything else in this world. He knew the natural world well enough to know these were ready and did his best not to eye them up with temptation as he now turned into the orchard and wandered rather aimlessly through it.

Root continued with his usual uplifting pep talks as they progressed with repeated uses of the phrase "We're almost there!" and "It's not far now!". His upbeat attitude had been helpful to Gnarl as he tried to understand this new land, this new world he had never ventured to before. He knew no one here and he had no family or friends to turn back to, without Root, he was alone.

It still took some unwanted time but after an awkward walk through the trees and the fruit Gnarl and Root appeared on the other side of the orchard. The small downhill trek before the vast lake of Bradbury. Neither of them had seen this land before, and its beauty once again overtook them as they stared at the scene before them. The sun shone overhead, glowing a beaming yellow that reflected a constant beam of light from the tame surface of the lake. The tall peaking mountains seemed to wrap around the rear of the lake, and while silhouetted, painted their presence onto the water beneath the sun. In the middle sat an old but well-kept castle, full of spires and arrow towers and surrounded by a few small boats and a jetty.

A Castle... At least some things never change from world to world... There's always someone important living in there.

Gnarl scrambled down the path and dropped his shield hastily by the water edge. He splashed into the small stone beach and threw his face into the cold soft water. The moment it touched he felt his body awaken once again, the feeling of dehydration quickly being vanquished by prevailing water. His skin goose bumped and his head felt fresh again as he knocked the water overhead and down his hot sweaty body. He drank and washed and simply threw himself into the lake to cool off and it didn't take long before he felt refreshed.

Sitting on a dull dry rock by the lakeside he took a moment, feeling the warm sun rays dry off what felt like ice cold water from his shoulders. His pants had soaked but the cold feeling that graced his legs ensured he did not regret it.

"We have marched this way for so long and have still failed to find her. She has escaped from us, Root." The dull sound of a tired and beaten friend fell upon Root's ears.

"I don't know for sure, but I'm positive she came this way. It makes more sense than anything else." Root tried to inspire some confidence in the deflated Gnarl as he sat, also refreshed, before him. "We can't allow the Destroyer of worlds to escape us!"

"I do not wish to dump on your parade, Root." Gnarl sighed and took a deep breath as he wiped his wet face. "But let's say we find her, what do we do to stop such... Power? This world, we're constantly lost and alone and she ventured off before we even knew."

"It's a big ask... But I fear what she can do to this world like she destroyed mine and like she destroyed yours."

"I feel useless and discouraged by everything I do here. I feel I'm only doing this for you now... I have nothing else in this life." Gnarl's face dropped. He had been struggling for a while now and after so long travelling and searching for something they knew nothing about, he had finally felt a depression.

Root's own face dropped with disappointment, he really wanted Gnarl to continue, but he accepted inside that they had gained and achieved nothing since arriving here. An air of disappointment hung over them, dejected, depressing and daunted at the reality they were faced with. The truth was that they knew nothing, and Gnarloc was struggling to find any reason to continue forward. For a man that had lost everything and everyone, he had done well to continue forward at all.

Then, Root's ears perked up, twitching a noise that Gnarl was yet to pick up on. He shot upright on his tip toes and dashed across the grass and up the small scramble of the rocky shore. His eyes scanned the orchard before him and then he heard it gain, a panicked voice in the distance, a young girl who's voice felt high and full of distress.

"Gnarloc... Come here, quick!"
    The Destroyer of Worlds

-Currently writing-

GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile
    Gnarl had watched Root's pert ears and darting sprint, but only now moved, collecting his belongings along the way. He could hear nothing, but did would not question the felines instincts and awareness. "What is it?" Gnarl crouched down low as he slid his top back on.

"I can hear a young female human." Root's feline eye's pierced through the plantation for clues while his ears continued to listen. "She was shouting at someone, but it's gone quieter, they are no mumbles."

"Then let's go..." Gnarloc stood up and held his shield close to his chest. Not a moment's hesitation to step up and do the right thing. "Which direction?"

Root responded with a nimble and straight forward dash. Speeding into the orchards once more with a great speed and stealth that only a cat could display. Gnarl crouched lightly but dashed after him unable to show the same finesse and guile as Root. Slipping through the trees and over around the bushes the voices finally reached Gnarl's ears and his pace slowed as his stealthy movement came into play. Stepping carefully across the dirt and watching his surroundings it became clear before him; a hooded man, dagger in hand and girl in the other. She lay clumsily on her knees like a cripple, her baggy grey dress rubbing in the dirt and tears streaming her face while her voice begged for mercy.

The man backhanded her with the hilt of his dagger and she fell silent of a moment, letting off the whimpering escape her lips. A third voice spoke up and only then did it become apparent that they stood over a wide deep hole that the light didn't touch, and as the deeper male voice pleaded for mercy, the hooded figures motives became evident.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe I'll toss her down with you and you can both bake down there, just like you were gonna do to me... Or maybe, I'll bend her over this hole, and I'll fuck her in front of her daddy!"

Gnarl's fist clenched in anger. This man was a rogue man, probably a thief and a murderer. His attitude and grotesque suggestions were one of such a man, and Gnarl hated such a thug. Raising to his feet Gnarl looked around to see it was only them three, a four-foot wide hole and more fruit trees.

One on one, Gnarl liked those odds.

He stepped forward and marched into a sprint, his charging footsteps loud and clear. The man, turning to the sound of Gnarls charge dropped the girl and spun to face.

Gnarl pulled up his axe from his belt and clanged it against the steel of his buckler shield, ringing it out like an instrument of war. He could see the fear instilled in the man's face, startled by his approached and as he watched the man's dagger raise up he swung the blunt side of his axe into his wrist and then twisted like a tornado to backhand the thief with his buckler shield across the face.

The loud crash against his face slapped with a loud clang. His weapon dropped the floor his body wobbled and then fell limp into the soil. The moment fell silent as Gnarl watched a trail of blood from a busted face ran into the earth by their feet. The unconscious man would be out for some time as he lay scrunched up on his side by his clumsy collapse, and the two threatened were now safe.

The frantic brunette gripped the dropped weapon and held it up despairingly towards Gnarl from his floored position. Her frail frantic outstretched hand was clearly not one of a weapon bearer and so Gnarl calmly put his axe away and dropped his buckler to his feet.

"Back off!" The young girl shouted, her eyes clearly frightened as she waved the knife before her.

"I am not here to hurt you," Gnarl gestured peacefully with his hand on his chest. "You have my word."

The older male voice called out of the dark hole. "What's going on? Letti! Letti! Are you alright?"

"Yes, father!" She called back, her hand still wielding the knife as she leant over the hole edge. Then, to her surprise a small grey and black cat darted across the ground and then leapt up onto Gnarl's shoulder.

Gnarl stepped forward to see an older man staring back up at him. Clearly concerned as he stood in a pile of branches and collapsed soil at the base of this strange hole. Gnarl knew the one thing he wanted to hear, and he gladly advised him.

"That man will not be hurting your daughter."

"Thank you." He replied graciously, though still a little stuck for words. "Can you help me get out?" He pulled up a rope from his feet and showed displayed it to Gnarl.

Gnarl reached out and then accepted the rope as he flung it up. It would take a few moments and a strong effort but Gnarl pulled with all of his might, digging his feet into the dirt and hauling the man up and out of the deep hole.

He greeted his daughter with a relieving and loving embrace, their arms wrapped around one another with the realisation that they came close to losing one another. Her head in his chest and his arms a cushion to her weeping pain, she dropped the dagger.

Gnarl waited patiently, the man in basic dirt pants and a dirty cream top looked back at him. Wearing and old rusty necklace and old dirty boots, it seemed fairly clear he was a worker on this orchard, and this was his daughter.

"We owe you a great thank you, stranger." The man smiled and offered a hand. "May I ask you name?"
    The Destroyer of Worlds

-Currently writing-

GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile

Mauka - A Game of Cards

The blade sliced cleanly and beautifully through the air, halting at the maximum reach of Gnarloc's arm. The green hue of the Plynt hand axe Letti had made him was striking in design and quality, and it felt satisfying to hold in his hand. A memory of the past, though this was more beautiful than any axe he had held before. Gnarl ran his fingers over the small engravings of himself and Root, the beauty of her skill was admirable to the point where Gnarl wasn't sure he ever wanted to use it and get it damaged.

It had been some time since Gnarloc had used any weapon, his war-filled past laden with pain and misery, and apart from a few powerful memories, he hoped not to remember it for the most part. Here in Mauka he no longer had to worry about past problems and fighting, here it was just honest hard work, and there was always time to relax at the end of the day. He thanked the day he had recovered Ghello from that thieves pit, and he enjoyed the way life felt... happy.

Gnarl stopped playing with his new Plynt Axe, having been practicing his old training poses and slashing at the cool Bradbury air, it was time to turn in for dinner. At the same time, Letti was promptly arriving back from work. Root raised his head with a sudden jerk as he heard her, his ears pert and directed to the back door. Then, he dashed inside as Gnarl listened for a moment to the sounds of an upset Letti which wailed out from the bungalow.

What's happened? Gnarl hated hearing her upset, his fondness for her desired to fix it.

Her voice groaned with a frustrating anger as she complained about work and Gnarl couldn't help but notice the name, "Hasen Bradbury" enter the conversation. He felt himself scowl at his name as he wrapped up his axe in a thick brown cloth and slipped it under his bed for safe keeping.

"So now he's going to raise the price of rent for Dameist. All because of some stupid difference of opinion? Depending on how things go, he might have to lower our wage, or... let some of us go." Letti's discontent was clear to see as she slumped at the table. Her lips pouted and her eyes were missing that glistening shine that she usually displayed.

Gnarl entered to find her still slouching, her hair tied back and her work apron still on. The longest of sighing huffs eased its way from her mouth, and as much as they wished to comfort her there was very little anyone could do about it. Hasen was in charge of Mauka, and the only man who could change that, his father, hadn't left his castle in the centre of the lake for some time now - his illness was widely known, how well he was dealing with is wasn't.

"Bad day at work?" Gnarl tried to ease his into the conversation and sympathised with a soft squeeze of the shoulder.

"I hate that bastard!" She exclaimed.

"Letti!" Ghello bawled out to her language from the kitchen, his attention splitting between the preparation of food and her outburst. "We don't use that language here do we?"

"Sorry, father." Even her father's telling off couldn't squash the upset she felt, and while she sat up properly her head fell quickly into her hands as she rested them on the table.

Root rubbed up against her leg as she frowned, ever silent to the rest of humanity than that of Gnarl, though even then he had been very quiet lately. Being here within Mauka was not of Root's plans and decision, but that of Gnarl's. Not that Root disliked this town and this family, but that he believed their destiny awaited them in a much further and distant place. The little grey and black cat was as friendly and loving as any cat could be, at least he would continue to pretend to be just a cat, just to ensure he remained with, Gnarl - the only true friend he actually had.

"Thanks, Root!" Letti reached down and gave a long slow stroke as he whipped his tail along her calf.

"Well, maybe tonight we can break them at cards?" Gnarl raised his eyebrow and looked confidently at Letti as she huffed.

"Even if you did, he wouldn't be any less rich..." She continued to look grim as she untied her hair and let it spring out into the long draping curtain it usually was.

"Unfortunately," Ghello interrupted as he approached with the well-balanced plates along his arms. "We cannot help who we are born to. You have to take what life gives you my dear."

Gnarl let the soft but defining smell of cooked chicken raise up his nose and felt his mouth begin to salivate. The well used small plates had a breast of chicken, small potato and some greens pushed together to form a tasty meal. Despite the frustration of Letti, his appetite did not wane.

They tucked in, eating in silence for a moment, the frown on Letti's face slowly fading, but not quick enough to keep Gnarl's mouth shut. "Well, at least the housing rent has remained the same."

"Yeah... but for how long?" She snapped as she pushed a piece of chicken down angrily.

"Well then, we'll just have to win big tonight and ensure we have enough money to cover it." Ghello sounded unfazed by her negativity. "We've lived here long enough to know these things change over time. It is a shame he lacks the qualities of his father. I got along well with him."

"That why we are invited tonight?" Gnarl responded mid chew.

"Part of it, yes. He seems to want to keep his family relations towards the people who live here. By being nice to us he maintains what his father did, though he has a lot to learn." Ghello's eyebrows bounced sceptically as he spoke, his disbelief in the young son clear.

It was a shame that someone wiser like Ghello couldn't have some input to the village, and while the thought bothered Gnarl, this was how this place worked and bloodlines could mean everything. Being an outlander himself, he was no more than a commoner with a past towards everyone in Mauka.
    The Destroyer of Worlds

-Currently writing-

GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile
    Dinner passed fairly quickly and while Letti would have to remain in a grump to her news and her fear of the future, it would be something she just had to accept. Gnarl helped with the dishes and then wandered to the back door to find Letti sulking as she stared out over the glowing lake - the lowering sun's rays dancing off the surface with its autumn red flickers of light.

"It's strange," Gnarl pondered his memories as he approached and sat beside her. "I remember a young woman telling me that moping about things you can't change is silly."

Letti looked at him amused, she knew he was referring to her past comments. "How smart that you can use my own words of inspiration to you, back at me."

"Aye! Mouth!" He smiled at her sarcasm as he sat up, arms on knees and back straight, but his vision still firmly out on the water. "Still true is it not?"

"There's a difference, I fear the future, you feared the past."

"Well... You gave me much to look forward to. Maybe the future isn't that scary? No one person should ever be allowed to ruin your outlook on life. So, how about I be a quick learner and bring home some serious money?" Gnarl smiled back at her as Root again appeared to comfort her, weaving between bother their legs before pushing his head and cheeks into the palm of her hands.

"I guess it's possible. First-time luck can be a thing, right?" Her eyes couldn't hide the value in what she hoped for. It felt important right now to get something back positive, and Gnarl would at least try his best.

"Is that all that is bothering you?" It seemed the right question to ask after all nothing had affected her just yet, this fretting could all be for nothing.

"He's a real arse, Gnarloc," her tone focused strongly on the insult. "He even has the cheek to squeeze my... bum." Her eyes shifted away in embarrassment. "Told me he thought I was doing a man's job and I should be like all the other hussy's who suck up to him on a daily basis."

"He did?" He watched her disgusted nod. He enjoyed any reason to feel more hatred towards Hasen. Maybe it was a bit of jealousy, not that Gnarl had no interest, but he didn't exactly have women pouring over him. The wonder of why women appeared to be attracted to arseholes forever bugged him. "That guy pisses me off... But you give me hope that not all women fall for the charms of such revolting men. Arrogance will fall him one day, I'm sure of that much."

It had been a while since Gnarl had actually needed to comfort Letti, but it was always nice to return the favours that she had given him after his arrival. Everyone needed someone to talk to sometimes, even if it was only a small problem that would probably blow over tomorrow of the next day.

It wasn't long before Ghello called from the street to Gnarloc. It was time to gamble, and while this wouldn't be the first time Gnarl had done so, his gambling had never involved a game of cards. He would leave Letti to take care of herself while Root would hopefully keep the moping down to a minimum - he didn't have to ask to know Root would look after her. Still, it felt rather odd to be going elsewhere without, Root.

The cold breeze was not a relentless one, but a calming cool wind that was enough to ruffle his hair but not his clothes. The long dirt road weaved through the fields, bending and swaying like a river cutting its way through the hills. While the worker's houses stood in huddled groups along the lake and fields, only changing as they arrived in the town midpoint and the mud gave way to cobbled paths and the bungalow homes switched into shops and large houses that lined the few streets of Mauka. Ghello nodded towards the large stone building ahead of them, sat just ajar to the town centre with large shrubberies and hedges that lined its property boundary.

They walked under the large steel archway of the gated entrance and approached the castle-like structure - such wealth beyond that of the surrounding village. Essentially the Bardbury's mansion like home, though run entirely by the future owner and first son of the Baron - Hasen. Gnarl hadn't ever walked this far before, the short path to the house parted the beautiful green lawns before leading them onto the large veranda. It felt a little intimidating, even to Gnarl, as Ghello knocked and the wooden bash boosted into a large echoed shunt. Then as the tapping of footsteps approached the door opened to reveal a rather crudely dressed maid.

Even Ghello's eyes widened to the surprise of her attire. A small skirt and skimpy corset type top made her assets and beauty clear, and yet she was not intimidated by two grown men staring at her.

"Good evening, Sirs. You are here for the masters game of cards, are you not?" She spoke clearly and polite, her eyes darting between the two for an answer.

"Yes. We haven't arrived early have we?" Ghello responded as he tried not to stare down at her bosom.

"Not at all, Sir. Please, follow me." She brushed back her long black hair as they let the door close behind them. Her round cheeks swaying side to side with her ship in an almost sensual walk, which seemed quite the opposite of the way she had spoken to them.

"Forgive the stare, but... That's. One. Striking. Maid." Gnarl blinked as if to ensure she was real, the odd feeling that he had walked into a place that was not subtle to Hasen's interests.

"No need to say sorry, Gnarloc..." Ghello gave a small playful elbow into his ribs. "I'd be a little worried if you didn't look. Though this is most definitely not what I was expecting from the Bardbury's home."

"Ha! Well if he keeps his maids dressed like that in the room... Then I'm buggered..." Scratching his forehead they chuckled to one another as they followed the swaying beauty to the room of residence for the evening.

The second door on their left opened as they approached and the maid guided them in before bowing out with a gestured arm towards some hanging curtains and veil. Gnarl's wandering eyes were anything but subtle as they inspected her one last time, and he gained a cheeky wink back before she turned and left.

Ghello knocked the violet veil aside and they entered into a strongly scented room. Hasen, along with four other guard looking acquaintances sat around a circular clothed table. Purple curtains lined the blank walls and small dressers stood on adjacent corners, all decorated with scented sticks that burned quietly but with a strong smell of incense to mask the cigarettes that puffed from the gamblers mouths. The tall ceiling at least had a couple of small vents, but a cloud of swirling grey smoke still circled the room.

"Evening, gentlemen!" Hasen stood up quickly with his arms spread eagle as he greeted them eagerly. "I do hope you brought plenty money for me tonight!"

Gnarl fought the urge to glare at him, tonight was important to enjoy and problems with taxes and rent were not really his concern. Piles of copper towered on the table alongside drinks and a bowl of snacks.

"Food and drink are complimentary tonight, but I warn you now that I'm on a winning streak, and that means I'm gonna take everything you got!" Hasen brimmed with confidence as his smile, reaching from ear to ear wasn't even stifled by the cigar that sat on his lips.

He adjusted his collar and pulled his seat back under his bum as they picked the remaining two seats, it appeared they had already been playing and Hasen's tower was the biggest of the group. Leaving one particular tough faced guard slouched and displeased with his lesser pile. Gnarl pulled his chair tight under as yet another scantily clad maid appeared and placed two mugs of fine ale before himself and Ghello.

"Exciting," Hasen smirked at them both before focusing on Gnarl. "I don't believe I know you name?" He extended his arm across the table.

"Gnarloc." He leant in and gave a quick but firm handshake.

"You know the rules of Three Card Brag?" He asked with a long shuffle of the cards as they slipped and mixed between themselves skilfully.

"Nope. First time for me." You blonde prick. Gnarl kept a straight face and remained open minded the rules as he tried not to be distracted by the maids as they passed around the table doing their duties.

"Three cards each," he started as his colleague dished out the cards in a clockwise fashion. "Highest hand always wins. There are four suits of cards; Castles, Nobles, Peasants and Horses. It runs off types of hands - so if you have no relation of your three cards, then it goes off your highest card value. Second is a pair, two cards the same, with Ace as the highest card. Then it's a suit, which means three of the same suit. A run; one, two three. A running suit, and then three of a kind."

"Rules appear simple." Gnarl grinned confidently as his third and final card landed at his fingertips.

"Good, then all you need to do is bet. To bet, you must first wait your turn, starting from whoever dealt the cards. Then, you have to match or raise. Otherwise, you fold and wait till the next round. You play until two people are left, and one asks to see the others cards." Hasen leant back in his chair, eager to take advantage of a new player to their little game.

Gnarl sat upright, peering at everyone's faces as they looked at their cards. Then carefully lifted his own as he fanned them to see the value. A pair of queens on my first hand... That's two of a kind! His eyes widened with an excited surprise before he calmed and tried to harden his face from emotion. That's a good type. A chance for my first hand.

"Fold!" The first bearded guard chucked his cards across the table.

"Two copper!" The second bet.

"Same!" Gnarl called out a little too eager as he reached into his pocket pouch and placed them in the betting pile.

Ghello began the domino effect as they all folded but Hasen. This was certainly a quick hand for his first go as Hasen dropped in four copper, and then the bearded guard proceeded to drop out with another fold.

"You can call me if you like, Gnarl." His voice never stuttered, his confident smile was no mask. "I'd hate to take too much off you this early."

"Okay." Gnarl's forehead furrowed as he became irritated. His predetermined thoughts of Hasen made his need for victory stronger. "Call."

He placed his four copper down and slammed his pair of queens on the table, unable to hold his smug grin as he won his very first hand. Excellent. This game seems easy as pie.

"Oh dear! You'll be happy to know you made the right call." His dipped head faced his lowered cards as they floated down the table, and a full suit of horses presented itself. Gnarl felt that initial rush leave his body as Hasen peered up through his hanging blonde bangs and that same arrogant grin appeared once more. "Don't worry, beginners luck doesn't exist."

This suddenly felt like it could be a long night.
    The Destroyer of Worlds

-Currently writing-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast