Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writing and Roleplaying: New Podcast!

EXP: 393, Level: 1
    Level completed: 20%, EXP required for next level: 1,607
    Level completed: 20%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,607
    GP

Name
    Lothar Onnenvi
    28 human years (looks to be in his middle to late teans)
    Race
    Alerian Elf, Raiaeran half-elf mix (identifies as Sel Darthirii)
    Hair Color
    Leaf Brown
    Eye Color
    Emerald
    Build
    6’1 ( Tall & athleticly built)
    Job
    Servant to Faust

View Profile
    I'm just going to answer the third right now, but this is the first site were I've not had to defend myself in chat. I could just be me, you know, and everyone's cool with that. That is what makes this place different.

EXP: 13,891, Level: 4
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next level: 109
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next level: 109
    GP

Name
    Kryos
    Race
    Dwiilar
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Crimson, Silver
    Build
    5' 11" / 158 lbs
    Job
    Wanderer, Soul Mage

View Profile
    What is your definition of roleplay?

Roleplay is being able to explore new ways of thought and different ideas through the life of a character. While I myself, in life, have learned a great deal of things through college, full-time employment, missionary service and the such, there are other aspects and life lessons that may be harder to find. Through the life of others, and through characters, these ideas can be explored and learned from. Similar to learning another language, roleplay allows me to view the world differently.

Plus, it is just super fun.

What is Althanas to you?

Althanas is the origin of my love for writing. It was the first place that I learned that writing could be fun, and that I could become so invested in it. It is the place where I have learned how to write as well as I have; it taught me infinitely more than any English class could. It is a grand world that I can explore and, perhaps one day, make my mark upon.

How does Althanas differ from any other rp outlets you use?
    I have been a member of 3 online sites that have RP elements. One of them was more focused on shorter creative writing endeavors, with a ton of feedback, which was helpful, but the RPing was a joke compared to here. The other, The Realm of Domhantir, was created by my best friend who was a member here first. There I was able to help out in the world building aspect of things, but it was small in comparison and things moved incredibly slow, and now is in semi-permanent stasis as no one has the time to keep it up.

Which brings me to Althanas. The thing I love is how amazing the RP tales can be, with rich detail, excellent character development, and epic adventures. It is so awesome to know that, if I left, Althanas would continue on without me, full steam ahead. Such was the case for the past several years, but it is great to be able to come back and find ways to get incorporated again. The activity level here is not something anyone should scoff at. I absolutely love it.
    -Level 4-

The path of redemption requires both light and shadow.

Blind Lore Mod in Trainin
    EXP: 4,050, Level: 2
    Level completed: 69%, EXP required for next level: 950
    Level completed: 69%,
    EXP required for next level: 950
    GP

Name
    ----
    Race
    whatever the situation requires
    Hair Color
    ---
    Eye Color
    ---

To assume the attitudes, actions, and discourse of (another), especially in a make-believe situation in an effort to understand a differing point of view or social interaction, or to convey information, or entertain. To me then, it’s simply at its most basic level, when I take on a part that is not my own. When I become, a character that is not me. This could be as a storyteller spinning yarns for an audience of my peers, which was my first taste of roleplay, or when engaged in the more stereotypic dice rolling variety.

What is Althanas to you?

To understand the significance of Althanas to me, one must first understand that the internet is described as the final frontier for the blind and visually impaired, and like the ocean or outer space, it’s not always particularly friendly to those that have such a disability. Indeed, at present I know of only three sites that are readily accessible for screen-reader users, Ayleria, Roleplay Online (AKA RPOL), and here. I’ve encountered several roleplay sites, and after hours or sometimes days, of trying to find code hooks and trying to write command lines I’ve been forced to finally throw up my hands and say it just won’t work; not here though.

Now, one might readily assume that part of Althanas’ value to me is the fact that it is one of the few sites that I can interact with of a RP nature, and that is true, but its value doesn’t end with that fact alone.

With regards to the act of roleplaying, the community that engages in such activities has a profound impact on the character of that activity. A toxic community, or one in which moderators cater to a minority of players over others can kill any chance at roleplay enjoyment. I have not encountered that here.

Having encountered that elsewhere, having such a sour experience with my earliest attempts at roleplaying and writing on a setting that did not involve a roleplay E-Mail process, it was such a relief to find a community, which has been by and large, extremely supportive from day one.

This place has been a joy from day one, and is something I hold in high regards and will, even if forced to go on periods of hiatus, a place that I shall be returning to at every opportunity.

First, the process is far more dynamic and flexible than the play by E-Mail I have used in the past, as those sort of systems usually only utilize either a group of well-known acquaintances, or are forced to recruit through the internet in hopes of gaining the required participants, but in either case the system is far more structured to situations where one serves as the overarching storyteller and the rest as participants. The advantages of a system are by and large replicated by the PM system present here, and enhanced in some respects by chat.

That said, the site has a number advantages over said system, and even more so when compared to my brief time on Ayleria, this site is the only one that I have found, and is the only one that I know of where both learning and experimentation are encouraged in equal measure.

Let me touch on the former first, I have encountered personally, and heard of many more stories by others, that most sites have a canon that they cling to with all the fervor of barnacles. Actions must conform to that canon as much as the moderator’s decree fit and there will be hell to pay if said norms are violated.

These are not merely site rules regarding conduct and how quest rewards are to be obtained etc., but literally, in many cases, how roleplay is to be carried out on a regular basis.

This site does not do that.

Canon can be flaunted with literal impunity, with it being merely considered as personal canon independent from overall canon.

While this does at times cause some slight confusion for new individuals to the site, such matters are easily rectified. At least, that has been my experience at least.

Now, let us touch on the other major feature that sets this site most clearly apart from its peers in the roleplay/ writing department. Here, one’s writing, if one so chooses has every chance to improve, through the critiquing process. A powerful motivator for many indeed, I can do something that I enjoy, and learn at the same time. A win, win to be sure. Now, I know the idea of having one’s writing critiqued can be anxiety provoking for some, and those responsible for this site’s development realized that too, since if one doesn’t want to bother with said process, the “no judgement” choice remains an option. They can write and continue to level their characters at their hearts content, without having to worry about criticism.

Before I close, having said a few things that are hardly new for most experienced role-players, the one thing that I find truly remarkable about this site is that one doesn’t have to jump through additional hoops to have extra characters.

I thank you for your time, respectfully,

Bard’s writer.
    INEED to see your vision, and the layers you apply sometimes make that difficult" (By Storm).
    Lore Q&A
    Screen-reader user, welcome, PM me with questions on how the site works with your software

Make It So
    EXP: 23,137, Level: 6
    Level completed: 45%, EXP required for next level: 3,863
    Level completed: 45%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,863
    GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brunette
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'3 / 115
    Job
    Mechanic

View Profile
    While I know that roleplay takes many forms, roleplaying has always been synonymous with creative writing for me. This idea of constructing something new with someone, and never knowing what it is that they're going to post up next. Even if you've planned every aspect of a story, you'll never be able to predict how the other writer will describe the smell of a coming storm, or what exact words they will use to respond to a situation you've thrown their character into. It is all very exciting in that sense.

What is Althanas to you?
    First and foremost, Althanas is a community. I've been a part of dozens of roleplay sites over the past decade or so, and none have had such mature, intelligent, helpful members. I felt welcomed almost immediately, and that was what has ultimately kept me here. Next, Althanas is a creative writing website. I almost hate to use the term "roleplaying" anymore, because in my experience, that has always been short, fast-paced back-and-forths with little attention to the quality of writing. Althanas isn't like that. With that in mind, I always find myself exploring what else I can do on Althanas. The mentor program, the vignettes, the tournaments, etc. This site offers a lot more than just a forum to write in, and I want to take full advantage of that.

I touched on this above, but Althanas has a very different atmosphere than anything else I've ever experienced. Here, there is an emphasis on not only how well you write, but how well you tell a good story. I have to be mindful of everything I write now - how is my pacing, is my dialogue appropriate, would Ray really do that, is that event too convenient, does this follow the lore, etc. I rarely, if ever, thought about those things before. Also, to create that top-notch story on Althanas, there is generally a lot of planning. It is an interesting trade-off. While I'll never know exactly what my partner will write, careful planning and constant bunnying removes some of the excitement factor that I used to love about roleplaying. There's no need to stay up all night to see how the other character responds, because we've already written it out in a google doc. That's partially why I hesitate to refer to Althanas as a roleplaying site, because the experience is very different. That's not to say it is bad - I love how much Althanas has improved my writing. It is just different.
    Althy's Judging Admin
    To try or not to try. To take a risk or play it safe.
    Your arguments have reminded me how precious the right to choose is.
    And because I've never been one to play it safe, I choose to try.

Loremaster
    EXP: 72,114, Level: 11
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 4,886
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,886
    GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6' / 175 pounds
    Job
    Former chef, aimless wanderer, Pagoda Master, and self-professed Salvic Rebel Leader ™.

Roleplaying is little more than telling a collaborative story in which you assume the role of a character.

What is Althanas to you?
    Althanas is the (nearly) perfect combination of a haven for writers and an MMO with a rich, detailed world. It's a site that encourages members to get invested in their own writing as well as the world we're all playing in.

Plenty of RPing sites have well-crafted persistent worlds, and plenty have active writing communities that encourage review and improvement. Althanas has both combined seamlessly. Also, compared to other RPing forums, the percentage of RPs that actually finish is second to none. Every other site I've been on, RPs drag on and fizzle out with no resolution.

Compared to tabletop roleplaying, Althanas encourages a higher caliber of style and a place to hone one's writing skills.

Our Enemies Rest
    EXP: 12,030, Level: 4
    Level completed: 61%, EXP required for next level: 1,970
    Level completed: 61%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,970
    GP

Name
    Azaranth "Anubis" Ubissad
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Chestnut
    Eye Color
    Amber
    Build
    6'0" / 180 lbs
    Job
    Itinerant

View Profile

Taking the role of a character, whether real or fictional, in a world that is also affected by reality or pure fiction. A role-player is set in the shoes of the chosen character and thus, becomes immersed in the world where limits are to a certain degree their own imagination.

What is Althanas to you?

Basically the fusion of role-playing and competitive writing, a sanctuary where dwelling are role-players and writers alike; both of whom are essentially the same. It is, more or less, a community of writers preparing to get published, some who already are, and some who are just getting their feet wet in both writing and the imposing, lore-rich setting Althanas is.

Though the number of other role-playing/writing forums I've been part of is limited, it is safe to say that Althanas is the best what these kind of forums have to offer. The site is filled with amazingly-written threads, an affable member base, and naturally the one thing that makes Althanas stand out; its feedback system. That alone ought to be enough to prove how this site focuses on the foremost section an RPG forum always comprises: writing. Every one who joins this community improves over the years, in one way or the other.

It's an amazing place here, and one'd hope it stays the way it is now.
    Last edited by Fez_The_Kid; 02-02-16 at 04:28 PM.
    "I’m not a sophisticated person - I don’t think much. Hunters don’t think. They act, and they do it without any hesitation whatsoever. It’s a predominant principle among all trackers of the beasts. We do most of the dirty work. Thinking? Leave it to the philosophers."

-Anubis

Miss Demeanor
    EXP: 28,185, Level: 7
    Level completed: 15%, EXP required for next level: 6,815
    Level completed: 15%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,815
    GP

Name
    Alydia Ettermire
    Race
    Alerian
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'6"
    Job
    Thief

View Profile
    Podcast has been recorded and should be up soon! Thank you to everyone who answered questions.
    Fortune favors the prepared.

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    Can't wait to hear it.

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12