Black-Brown
    Eye Color
    Black-Brown
    Build
    178cm / 70kg
    Job
    Shusai, Kensai, Monjutsushi

View Profile
    Note that I tend to take a very methodical approach to writing, and that I tend to think of my individual threads as but pieces in a much larger legendarium.

1) How do you define plot?

At its simplest level, I define plot as an interconnected hierarchy / series of conflicts and resolutions, that together tell a story. One step in a plot takes a given set of settings and characters and transforms it into something different, with new sources of conflict and possible resolutions. The plot as a whole takes a starting set of settings and characters on a journey until a convenient ending point.

2) How do you develop plots in your own stories?

I tend to develop plots on three interconnected levels. The first is on the story level - what is the conflict in this setting, and what roles do my characters play in resolving it? The second is on the character level - what development are my characters gaining from this particular story? What is the conflict that they're dealing with, how are they going to resolve it, how are they going to change as a person afterwards, and what effect is it going to have on their relationships with other characters? And finally, I think on a meta level - how does this story fit into my world as a whole? How does it resolve previous conflicts? How is it going to affect future storylines?

Based on these three levels, I identify key events within the thread. I can then start spotting locations, supporting characters, foreshadowing, sub-conflicts, etc., weaving them together so that they follow the logic of the world and the story that I want to tell.

3) What are the pros and cons you see in plotting (coming up with your storyline before writing your first post) and "pantsing" (writing the story and seeing where it goes)?

As my personal goal is to weave everything I write into a coherent and epic overarching narrative, I've rarely if ever "pantsed" before. I've never considered rigidity an issue, because it's a natural part of my workflow to work from the "must" events downwards. If I want to rewrite a minor event, that's easy enough; if I for some reason decide that one of these "must" events doesn't work, then it's worth taking the time to rethink that thread in detail. Working this way allows me to eliminate as many inconsistencies and plot errors as possible before I start writing.

Like Storm, though, I plan a lot less when I write with a partner because I don't know their characters as well as I know mine, and some people just aren't comfortable with the amount of preparation that I'm prepared to put into a story (I don't blame them!).

It's possible that "pantsing" a thread might allow you to come up with off-the-cuff inspiration that you otherwise might not have. I generally find, though, that planning out a thread in advance actually gives you more opportunity for such inspiration because you're spending just that much more time thinking about the conflicts, the characters, the setting, the resolutions. I agree with Kryos that it might work with the right group of people, and with others that it might be more fun if you don't have a defined outcome in mind. Unfortunately or not, that's never been the case with my threads.
    -Level 10-

You made me laugh, you make me smile
    For you I will always go the extra mile
    I hope that the day will come when I can banish this pain
    I just hope that one day I will see you again

Blind Lore Mod in Trainin
    EXP: 4,050, Level: 2
    Level completed: 69%, EXP required for next level: 950
    Level completed: 69%,
    EXP required for next level: 950
    GP

Name
    ----
    Race
    whatever the situation requires
    Hair Color
    ---
    Eye Color
    ---

Flames I'm very glad you said that, as some people thought I was crazy when I said that when I joined.
    INEED to see your vision, and the layers you apply sometimes make that difficult" (By Storm).
    Lore Q&A
    Screen-reader user, welcome, PM me with questions on how the site works with your software

Daonnan Caillte
    EXP: 79,284, Level: 12
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next level: 10,716
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next level: 10,716
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    One hour left to get your answers in for this week's show!
    The Karu knows.

EXP: 13,891, Level: 4
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next level: 109
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next level: 109
    GP

Name
    Kryos
    Race
    Dwiilar
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Crimson, Silver
    Build
    5' 11" / 158 lbs
    Job
    Wanderer, Soul Mage

View Profile
    Just seconding my appreciation of Flames' answers. Hit it on the head.
    -Level 4-

The path of redemption requires both light and shadow.

Daonnan Caillte
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    Episode 4 questions:
    1) What do you feel makes a great villain?
    2) How do you utilize villains in your stories?
    3) If you write a villainous protagonist, how do you strike a balance between their actions and their palatability to your audience?

Episode 4 records in roughly a couple of weeks!
    The Karu knows.

EXP: 30,152, Level: 7
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 4,848
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,848
    GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Dovicarus (Cleansing One)
    Hair Color
    White to Gray
    Eye Color
    Maroon
    Build
    5'2 / 119lb
    Job
    Cleansing One

View Profile
    I want to start off by saying I do not believe in "good and evil" as I feel those terms are used by where your stand in life, objective and perspective. With that said, I feel a great villain is one that is competent, methodical and perhaps one that can even inspire empathy from his/her foes. For example, Letho Ravenhart would have been as a villain during the Corone Civil War from the eyes of the Empire, yes?

Villains rarely become as such overnight and could have started out as anyone else in the world. What journey they ultimately took to get there is what defines them. As the reader, one may not see or even learn of it, but as a writer I think it is important to consider where they are coming from and have a solid understanding as to why the villain does what they do.

3) If you write a villainous protagonist, how do you strike a balance between their actions and their palatability to your audience?
    I would write them as I would as any other character. They have their own dreams, wishes, fears, loves, and hatreds of their own. Most villains are considered as such because their methods do not conform to society's acceptance. The path to hell is paved with good intentions. Or so they say.
    Current Adventures:
    None

Party:
    None

Recently Done:
    Following...
    Perspective...
    Price...
    Songs...
    He Who Waits...
    Matriarch's...

GP

Name
    Jarilo
    Race
    Fae
    Hair Color
    Varying browns
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Build
    5'9"
    Job
    Musician, Rune-Caster

View Profile
    In trying to answer the below questions, I decided to make a list of all of my favorite villains to try and see what common themes/traits they all shared. The list is as follows: Tywin Lannister (ASoIaF), Petyr Baelish (ASoIaF), Roose Bolton (ASoIaF), Orochimaru (Naruto), Hajime Saito (Rurouni Kenshin), Handsome Jack (Borderlands), Crowley (Supernatural), Magneto (X-Men), Q (Star Trek), the Monster ('The Deadlands'), Coyote (Native American mythos), Lady Macbeth (Macbeth).

I also spent some time delving TV Tropes Villains, to make my answers more universally understandable.

Based on the list of villains I've listed above, I tend to respond more to Affably Evil/Ambiguously Evil, or the Magnificent Bastard. Archetype-wise, that means I enjoy the Trickster a lot, as well as the classic interpretation of the Fair Folk.

In other words, to me, "good villains" blend the lines between good and evil. They are cunning, witty, savvy, and they tend of have a sense of humor. They are charismatic and relatable, they have their own values/ambitions/loyalties, but they are also ruthless when the need arises. They are artful in their villainy, intentionally or no--sometimes even more so than a hero to his/her heroism. In terms of alignment, my favorite villains are always on the Neutral spectrum, rather than Chaotic. Absolutes are never fun.

I try to keep my villains pretty close to the aforementioned archetypes, because I think it makes for a more compelling narrative overall. As I said above, rather than an absolute Chaotic/Good character, its a lot more satisfying to "sink your teeth" into a villain that makes you question things. After all, in the real world, Good and Evil is not a binary, or an either-or. Its a spectrum, a give-and-take.

For me, the best way to do this is always to stay as true to the character as I can. Understand what makes him/her the villainous protagonist, and write their POV accordingly. The audience, while important, is much less important than the character's authenticity.
    Last edited by Jarilo; 03-01-16 at 06:31 AM.
    Where the wave of moonlight glosses
    the dim grey sands with light,
    far off by furthest Rosses
    we foot it all the night,
    weaving olden dances,
    mingling hands and mingling glances
    till the moon has taken flight...
    To and fro we leap,
    and chase the frothy bubbles,
    while the world is full of troubles
    and is anxious in its sleep.

Come away, O human child!
    To the waters and the wild
    with a faery--hand in hand...

For the world's more full of weeping
    than you can understand.

Hand of Virtue
    EXP: 87,799, Level: 12
    Level completed: 84%, EXP required for next level: 2,201
    Level completed: 84%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,201
    GP

Name
    Artemis Eburi
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown and Gray
    Eye Color
    Piercing Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Smith

I think the definition is a really excellent place to start: a cruel, malicious person. Someone who really creates strong emotion in the reader due to their actions, and continues to bristle the reader. The most interesting villains for me though are the ones that sort of rattle the reader, in the sense that they are the antagonist but not clearly the villain at times. Where you aren't quite sure what judgment to make of them, and you almost have to guess.

Villains to me are not often used. For me, my stories are often man vs environment or man vs self, less man vs man or anything of the sort. When I have used villains, for my character, it is anything that is strongly against the path of virtue. The one villain I created was a demon/vampire that toyed with people and consumed their lives and souls, preventing them from ever reaching the afterlife.

I think the most interesting villains are the ones that don't go overboard, and where the villainy has suspicious hints about it. I think a good example of this was Snape from Harry Potter, where he was vilified but there were drops throughout the series about his story, that culminated at the end as him being a good guy all along. There are also antagonists that are outright likeable and not sufficiently villainous, like Owen Shaw in Fast 6. He was the bad guy, but you liked him. Then there's always the potential conversion of the villain to ally, which is always an interesting challenge for the character, author, and reader.

In the end, I think this comes down to giving the villain reasons to hate them, but also pulling out some stray strands of compassion. Can you feel sorry for the villain even if you hate him? Are they irredeemable? Do they have lapses in their sinister nature? Does their villainy not make sense? Hannibal Lecter was always a fascinating villain, but again, the line blurred between antagonist and villain.
    2011 Althy Winner - Most Realistic Character
    2016 Althy Winner - Best Contributor & Player of the Year (tie)

Artemis Eburi Wiki Page
    Current Character Profile

Solo Quests:
    Hidden Beneath The Canopy (75)
    Lost Loot of Lornius (74)

Daonnan Caillte
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    Hey everyone! We will be recording on Tuesday, March 8. I'd like to see answers by noon EST on that date so we get a chance to review and include them!
    The Karu knows.

EXP: 8,711, Level: 3
    Level completed: 93%, EXP required for next level: 289
    Level completed: 93%,
    EXP required for next level: 289
    GP

Name
    Sorish Mon Larsh
    Race
    Coralian
    Hair Color
    None
    Eye Color
    White
    Build
    8'7" 300lb
    Job
    Adventurer / Historian

View Profile
    What do you feel makes a good villian?
    A good villian is a being that is hated with a pation. They are usually the one that is getting in the way of the hero. However they could also be someone who harms everyone around them or they could pretend to be a hero but in the end betray the hero.

How do you use villians in your story?
    I mainly use villians to push my characters in ways they usually won't go.

If you write a villainous protagonist, how do you strike a balance between their actions and their palatability to your audience?
    I tend to use their internal thoughts to help the readers connect to them. I also give them a good back story to catch the reader.
    Thought
    "Telepathic Communication"
    "Yelling"
    Emphasis
    "Talking"

Theme Song
    "Year of the Reef"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast