Taische led her mother through the tame woods and cultivated fields that surrounded Radasanth. Their brown skin and plain clothing let them blend easily into the bracken of the forest, and anyone who observed them through the meadows would see no more than a bobbing black dot that skimmed just above the tall grasses and a vivid red wave that flowed just behind it.

The two half-wild O'Sheeans had no need for the roads that wound Storm out and around before bringing him back to his target location, so though they didn't have Attila's long stride or speed, they shouldn't arrive too far behind the temperamental lightning mage.

Truth be told, Taische wasn't sure if she really thought it best to intervene in her uncle's affairs. If they stopped him from doing something bad to someone, he would just hate them even more. He would yell and swear again, and he might even try to hurt them.

If he hits me or mom, mom will probably kill him, and he'll die terribly, and then I haven't stopped the thing I saw. The little girl cast an azure glance back at the woman who followed just a stride behind her unshod heels. But what if he's the one who's going to get killed? Is he trying to kill someone who isn't trying to kill him and others? He's a violent man, and he hates us. No, I think he doesn't hate mom. Just me. Maybe we should leave him?

Her mom had said they couldn't save everyone, and that sometimes bad people had to die so that innocent people could live. Taische had even seen that in action a few times. She'd witnessed her mother kill people in combat, but those people hadn't given Karuka any choice. Was her Uncle Storm not giving these people a choice? What if they were protecting people? He definitely had a dark side.

Maybe everyone can live. Even if Uncle Storm hates us now, he'll be alive to maybe not hate us later.I think that would be best, if everyone can live.

Behind her, Karuka walked with the same confident, unfaltering stride that she always had, but Taische saw something simmering in her mother's expression. She'd seen the firmly set brows and unwavering gaze before, usually when her mom had a goal, but the hard line of her pomegranate lips was something new entirely. Would it be better for her to decide that they shouldn't go after all?

They walked until morning had nearly waxed into noon, when the redhead suddenly put a hand on the little girl's shoulder, stopping her cold. The two stood for a few seconds in the dim green light that filtered through the thick canopy. The only sounds that trickled into the dense grove around them were the rowdy territorial disputes of songbirds and the ever-present drone of insects. They couldn't hear combat, or anguish, or even the rhythmic strides of a horse.

"Wait here, Taische."

The child whirled around, eyes wide in surprise. "But I thought this was something I had to do, because I Saw it!"

Karuka shook her head slowly. "Wee bit, y' saw death. Y' saw violence. Where y' see violence, y' might well have t' participate if y' go t' seek it out. Y' might walk int' a situation where y' have t' kill t' stay alive." The older clairvoyant looked down at her daughter with a serious and sad expression. "Y've seen violence. Y've seen death. Y've seen some ay horrible things. Some of those things I vowed t' protect y' from, an' I didn't. Some of those things y' walked yerself int' despite me tellin' y' t' not. But until yer old enough, I'll keep y' from th' worst of what th' world has t' offer as best I can."

"But-!"

Karuka stood straighter and her eyes flashed cold fire. "This isn't up fer yer arguments, an' I wasn't askin' if y' wanted t' stay behind. I've only a few short years left t' protect y', and I will damn well do it if I can. Wait here. If y' aren't in this grove when I come back, I'll find us a house an' we'll not leave its walls fer a month."

Taische set her jaw and sat down, kicking at a root. One hour, her mother was teaching her things so she could grow up, the next, she was treating her like a defenseless child. "I've been in fights before," she pouted. "I can hold my own."

"Not t'day. Taodoine." The phoenix pulled its gaze away from a family of scurrying squirrels in the branches, paying keen attention to his master's call. "Stay here. Make sure she doesn't go anywhere."

Taodoine obediently hopped to a branch and clacked his beak at Taische, trying to get her intention and invite the sullen girl to play. It didn't work.

"I'll be back soon. Stay put." With that, Karuka vanished into the forest, leaving her daughter tucked away behind a wall of greenery and thorns. With any luck, trouble would keep clear of the child for once.