More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    His hand found the back of his neck, warm and beginning to develop the heat of an early burn as he finished speaking. Pressing tired fingertips into the notches between his spine, he traded glances with the incredibly charming Karuka, the vacant periphery, and his now-dirty shoes as he took a turn to listen. She had let him speak his peace, not interrupting as his temper bubbled right to the surface of his lips before offering her own perspective. With the stain of gunpowder still leaving a fresh scent in his hair, a chance to speak was the least he could give her.

How do you hide such a magnificent brain beneath that ludicrous twang? You’d think you were raised on one of the moons with that outrageous accent.

Despite his entertainment, Storm allowed his tongue to feel the pinch of his teeth as he gritted through and listened to the heartfelt logic of a mother, pleading desperately for the welfare of her beloved girl. Storm and Karuka could allow themselves to bounce between each other forever, but the complicated relationship was unfair and impossible for the child to process.

As the beautiful O’Sheean finished, Storm did something altogether out of character. He stood, placed his hands on his hips, and waited. He sought to choose his words carefully, wholly aware of how important his rebuttal would be. He looked deeply into the glistening aquamarines that shone beautifully within her tanned face, and took one more breath of the humid air before he licked his lips and began.

“I’m not good at it.” His voice wavered slightly as the weight of his words came off his chest. “I’m a terrible role model, an inexperienced caretaker, and probably too foul a human to deserve the warrant to oversee a goddamned chicken, let alone a child.” The wind hummed about him as Karuka’s face began to drop.

The electromancer continued, his chest puffing with a growing confidence as he spoke with a renewed resolution.

“I’m not good, and I know it, which is why I pushed you both away. You’re a perfect mother, and great for that girl. Your instincts are flawless, your judgment beyond reproach, and your history relatively spotless. We both know the warts I bring to the table, which is why I wanted to insulate her from me, to keep her away from the stain I leave on everything I touch.

“But I learned when I watched her that day that even with those warts, there are things I can deliver to Taische. I know I can help her, and there’s nothing I want more.” A smile spread on his face as he noticed Karuka’s eyes open a touch.

“I can teach her from my mistakes. I can teach her the elements that I know, and how to read people. I know the hearts of flawed men, because I have one. Most importantly, I can give her protection better than most. I can give her perspective. I can give her love.”

The last word tripped him a bit as he said it, his hand moving to his stomach as the words emerged. There was no hesitation; there was no second guessing his adoration. Taische had him wrapped around her tiny fingers, just like that damned horse was consumed to her bidding.

“I love that f*cking kid, Karuka, and I love you. You both make me better, even if that’s a light order to fill. Without you, I’m rudderless, and too damned dangerous to keep drifting. Let me drop anchor, and have a purpose to serve. As good as you are for me, I know I can be good for you.”

Too tense, wrap it up.

He ran his fingers through his hair as he smirked, too uncomfortable to avoid breaking the tension of the moment.

“Shit, at the very least, give me a place to spend all this money. Two women seem like a hell of a way to blow a fortune.”

Daonnan Caillte
    EXP: 79,284, Level: 12
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next level: 10,716
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next level: 10,716
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    Karuka laughed. It was a bright sound, made of equal parts surprise and joy. She’d been certain that whatever Storm felt for her and her child, he wouldn’t be able to give up the freedom that let him commit a crime in one nation and then travel to a different country on a whim to do something inadvertently heroic. She hadn’t known how much that life, where he was as free and directionless as a spinning seed in the wind, was wearing on him. But maybe the timing was right, or maybe the people were right. Maybe he was just ready to find someone to call home. Maybe he was ready to root himself.

At the very least, he’d been ready to say that so-short, so-powerful word that she’d been dying to hear from his lips. A large part of her had expected that he never would, or never could.

But that was Storm. Just when she thought she knew him, he’d go and do something utterly surprising. Just when she thought they were done, he’d do something that won her heart all over again. It was one of the things that kept drawing her back to him, however many times they split, however many years passed between the times they saw each other, however badly they fought sometimes. In return, she was a beacon of light in the turbulent sea he cast himself into.

Her arms wrapped around his thin shoulders, and in return, she felt his arms wrap around her waist and back, holding her with a mix of strength and tenderness that Veritas showed no others. Their lips met, sealing their reconciliation with unspoken apologies and binding promises.

“Fortune or famine, we’re fam’ly either way.” She pressed her forehead against his when the kiss broke, savoring the moment. “There are places I want t’ show y’, Storm. Lands far beyond th’ seas y’ know. Maybe we’ll stay there a while, maybe we’ll find other shores. But come. I’ve left Taische alone longer than I really trust her t’ stay put, an’ she’ll find trouble if she wanders far.”

With that, Karuka took her lover by the hand and led him down the western road. With the ambush settled, there was no need for them to stalk through the brush and branches. Besides, if the bounty hunters after Storm’s head decided to come back for him, the last place the redhead wanted to lead them was right into the grove where she’d stashed her child.

Said child was actually right where her mother had left her, popping the poisonous pits out of grape-sized plums and splitting them between Attila and herself. Taodoine had found himself a squirrel to snack on, and neither animal reacted much when Karuka and Storm walked from the road and into the thicket. The phoenix looked up for a second and the horse’s ear twitched, but overall they were far more interested in their treats than in the familiar humans. Unconcerned animals meant an unaware Taische, so her full focus was on keeping her fingers out of the black beast’s mouth while he snagged another bite of fruit from her hand.
    The Karu knows.

EXP: 128,600, Level: 15
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 6,400
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,400
    GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    The reception of his outpouring was a welcome, wonderful departure. The wizard was well known for his sharp tongue, but typically hid emotions and genuine feelings behind a wall of sarcasm, cynicism, and wit. He had only poured himself open for Karuka because the stakes had never felt higher, despite the absolute vacuum of physical danger which they found themselves in.

Her kiss was as magical as ever; butter-soft lips met his with an urgent tenderness that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up. The pressure of her fingertips against him, and the feel of her body beneath his hands were otherworldly, taking him to a higher plane of existence from which he dared not retreat. When she pulled away, only the promise of many such reunions to come satiated his desire to pounce upon her like a plains drave.

Her words, tying him to her “family,” suggested a commitment none had ever offered the adventurer. Despite the primal passion ignited with her kiss, the paternal instinct in him kicked on like a dim campfire, rustled from a pile of stirred embers.

Taische. Probably none too happy to see me these days. Looks like I have some pretty serious fences to mend.

The path Karuka led him down was a simple one; now devoid of further ambush it led quickly to the precocious girl literally allowing the great Attila to eat from the palm of her hand. The metaphor wasn’t lost on Storm, who laughed in spite of himself.

“You fat-assed traitor, Attila! I leave for fifteen damned minutes and your allegiance pivots like a well-oiled weathervane. Don’t think I’ll forget this one!”

The relatively censored choice of words he used came from his throat automatically, a surprise betrayal of his normally vulgar vernacular. Nonplussed, he smiled a politician’s grin as he greeted Taische, whose mixed emotions were worn as clear as the tunic on her back. Mild relief was always offered for the return of her mother, but confusion or discomfort regarding the man who’d not-long-ago chastised her was to be expected.

Break the ice. Make it easy on her.

“Good morning, sunshine! You know, you and your mom should get in the rescue business. Heck, just saving my bony butt could be a cottage industry for you.”

Heck? Butt?! Dial back or she’ll call you out for being disingenuous. You haven’t said “Heck” since before Radasanth had whores.

Squatting down, he looked at the little magician from eye-level, feeling the soreness in his hips creak up at him. Getting old was impossible to forget, given the incessant barrage of reminders.

“Listen, kid. Thank you, and thanks to your mom for coming here. With all the shit we’ve been through already, I’m lucky to be the least mature one in the group. How’d you like to ride Attila back to town with us? I figure even if that damned bird of yours wants to hitch a ride, it will be a break for the big fella, and I could certainly use the exercise.”

EXP: 20,775, Level: 6
    Level completed: 12%, EXP required for next level: 6,225
    Level completed: 12%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,225
    GP

Name
    Taische O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    4'10"/slender
    Job
    Child

View Profile
    Taische bolted to her feet at the sudden voice, pressing close to Attila’s side. The horse looked down at her, not certain why she’d spooked, then took his chance to bury his nose in the small pile of sweet plums she’d left unguarded. From his perspective, he’d told his rider that the child was there; it wasn’t his fault if the hard-headed human hadn’t listened. He was entitled to some time with his favorite tiny human, especially if she had treats for him.

With the massive horse uninterested in her anxiety, the girl glanced at her mother for guidance. Karuka had come up on Attila’s other side to brush the dirty footprints from his saddle, but she didn’t seem concerned about Storm approaching her child. Some of the tension had actually left her back and shoulders, like it only did when she wasn’t the only adult on guard.

So they made up. Her bright blue eyes focused on Storm, noting the fake smile, watching him come down to her level, observing the tension beneath his relaxed body language. He’s never offered to let me on Attila before, because he and mom agreed that he’s too much horse for me to handle. And he’s said two bad words when he might have said three if he was in a good mood, five if he was in a normal mood, and ten if he was in a bad mood. And for Uncle Storm, those aren’t really bad words. What is he doing?

When her “uncle” stopped speaking, Taische looked back up at her mother, looking for further guidance. The horse now had his head pressed into Karuka’s chest so she could scratch behind his ears, easily as happy to be back with the O’Sheean women as Storm was. The redhead looked down at her daughter and gave her a little bit of a smile, and after a moment something clicked in the child’s head.

He’s trying. They’re back together, and he’s trying. Mom is happier when he’s here than when he isn’t. So I should try, too.

Taische took one tentative step forward, then a second, bolder one to close the gap. Her little arms wrapped around his shoulders in a hug, though she did her best to keep her fingers, sticky with the juice of a dozen tiny plums, off of him.

“I missed you, Uncle Storm. Can I really ride Attila?”

“If he letcha stand on ‘im, I doubt he’ll throw y’ if y’ rode him.”

“We were just working together to get the late little plums. It was his idea.”

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    The little girl with the big gifts was joining the dance; it was immediately clear to him as she responded with the sweet, high-pitched voice of a child that instinctively drove the dimples deep aside his mouth as a genuine smile spread. Yes, she was acting a bit, but the phrase “Uncle Storm” still hit him with a pleasant reminder that she trusted him, at least to some degree.

But not a soul on this foul, f*cked up earth trusts me as much as that horse trusts her. Gods, it took me a week to break that big bastard enough to ride, and months to win him over for good. She’s owned him from the jump; it’s always been so easy for her.

The contractor - whomever it was that set him up in the first place - was distant out of his mind now. Vengeance would be a long time coming; he knew not the messenger nor the real author of the letter that sent him off on into the snare Karuka had rescued him from. Here, with the sun on his face and his de facto family beside him, the wizard allowed the heft of his anger to fall off his shoulders like a heavyweight cloak.

After striding only a few minutes, the euphoria of rekindled love was extinguished by the sour, acrid taste of reality. For all their frolicking, the sun hadn’t yet set on the danger before them. The tall, thin traveler balled a fist against his chest, thumping it gently to tamp a brutal reflux that had awakened his inner cynic.

Shit. No gold at the end of this rainbow. Not yet.

“There will be more, I’m sure.” His words were directed at Karuka, but not beneath the level which would keep his words silent from the girl. Taische needed to hear it, to understand the situation. “This wasn’t any type of accident, and I’m sure as shit that they didn’t walk me in here to have me roll back into town. We won’t be able to be that careless, not now.”

He stopped, noticing the lithe and athletic heroine stop beside him as Taische rode forward. Her little head had popped up as he spoke, but she didn’t turn about to view him as she continued to rub the muscled, ebony neck of her great equine friend. She had probably heard enough scare tactics in her time to not be bothered by new ones, as horrific as it all sounded. The stamp-swish of Attila’s hard iron shoes on the gravel road moved ahead as the little magician marched ahead to nowhere.

“Can’t hit town. I’m sure the ones you released got word back quick; the pros are probably shitting bricks and hiding, but they could just as easy be setting a new trap for me. Well, make that us.”

The electromancer’s chin felt rough beneath the soft skin of his fingertips, a beard beginning to peek through what had recently been a clean facade. It seemed no matter how hard he tried, the ugliness would keep coming back for him. He wouldn’t let that same ugliness spill back over the O’Sheeans, not so long as the blood still fired through his veins.

I’m going before you ladies, that’s for goddamned sure.

Daonnan Caillte
    EXP: 79,284, Level: 12
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next level: 10,716
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next level: 10,716
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    Karuka’s eyes followed her daughter, though she listened intently to Storm. The little girl was a very inexperienced equestrian, and even though Attila liked her, he was a gigantic horse who liked to test even the most skillful of riders. Taische hadn’t even learned to move with her mount yet.

“I’d much prefer t’ not go t’ Radasanth, if I’m honest.” Her lips curved into a frown. “If we cut south an’ east, we’ll be int’ th’ plains by dawn th’ day after t’morrow. We could go t’ Jadet, catch a ship t’ Fallien, then head east from there.”

Storm nodded. If Corone wasn’t safe for him and his ladies, he’d rather be anywhere else. If they could be gone in a week, so much the better.

“Taische!” Karuka’s voice cut the distance like a knife, calling out to the equally untamed reddish-black head in the shadow-dappled distance and the midnight-black horse she rode. “Bring ‘im back, we’re goin’ th’ other way.”

“Okay!” Taische leaned back and pulled on the reins like she’d been told. “Stop, Attila. We have to turn around.”

The horse snorted at the inexperienced and slightly rough hands that pulled on his mouth, even though he’d claimed the bit for his own almost before the girl was in the saddle. He shook his mane to express his displeasure, sending a few blue and purple flowers flying. The movement traveled down his powerful back and gave the little girl astride him a jolt that almost sent her to the ground. Only her hands quickly burying themselves into his mane kept her in the saddle.

“That wasn’t nice, Attila,” she pouted, shoving a thick mass of hair out of her eyes. “I’m just learning. I haven’t ridden a horse before, you know. Now come on. We have to go back.” Her little hands tugged the reins again, attempting to turn the horse around, but he just started walking backwards. It was more a case of the horse being obstinate and playing his idea of a joke than complete disobedience, but it frustrated Taische nonetheless. She pulled harder to the right, but he wasn’t having any of it.

“Mom! How do I get him to turn?”

“How d’ y’ get him t’ do anything, wee bit?” Karuka leaned on her spear, watching her daughter try to handle a beast twenty times her size.

“I don’t have any more oatmeal cookies, and he knows it! He’s doing this on purpose!”

Karu chuckled and shook her head. Given time, she had no doubt that Taische and Attila would move as one creature, with one mind, no language needed between them. But that wouldn’t be while they still walked on Coronian soil. No, they would be far away before the tiny little clairvoyant had enough mastery of herself to master the horse.

“Attila, tar ar. Uimh nÃ*os mó ag magadh.” She didn’t raise her voice, but her tone suggested no room for disobedience or delay. The horse’s ears perked and he looked strangely at Karuka, then turned around and trotted back to her and Storm. He made sure to give Taische a bounce with each step, just to hammer home his point.

Karuka rubbed the stubborn horse’s nose when he reached them. “Come now. We’ve many miles t’ go t’day, an’ y’ve a precious burden t’ bear.”
    The Karu knows.

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    Watching Karuka and Taische work with the mighty stallion was a sight to behold, and never failed to humble him. He had worked to break the great horse, fighting like hell to assert himself atop the great black horse and convince the mighty beast that he, the little human, was dominant. It had taken days, along with a full layer of skin sacrificed off his entire backside to get there. These women treated the horse like a child, scolding him and speaking that absurd vernacular that he responded to with a raised ear and a twitching tail.

Magic. It’s got to be part of their nature-based magic. That dumb shit of a horse hasn’t ever shown half a brain to listen to a man in his entire natural life. Either they get through magically, or he has some predisposition to those ladies.

In either event, he was happy to see the little one happy, and the mother pleasantly in control. They were still moments from the wake of the great ambush, but couldn’t feel more comfortable or secure here in their element, away from Radasanth and any awaiting ambushes.

“You’re a natural, Taische. I don’t know what type of witchcraft you and your mom work with, but it does wonders with that god-forsaken horse. He’s happier than a pig in shit with you up there, little one.”

He wasn’t sure precisely where Karuka was directionally leading them; the sun had raised to full height and the shadows had all but disappeared beneath them. The smell of the long-grained grasses was a sort of pleasant, flour-like scent, and the whistling winds whispered the suggestion to stay, relax, and think things out.

But we can’t sit idly, and you damned well know it. The men that ambushed you will be waiting in Radasanth, and it won’t be long before they send a few friends to watch the ports. She knows it just as well as you do; may as well come out with it.

“So we’re not heading to Radasanth; not sure if you want to head back into the forests, take your chances in Concordia, or move off the island altogether. I’m more than due for a vacation from this place, if you have any ideas.”

Except Salvar. What a f*cking dump.

They walked for a bit, small talk and jokes being the order of the day. The graying wizard produced some dried meats from his satchel, offering a bit of jerky to the ladies, who took small bites and tried not to visibly grimace at the sight of it all. The beautiful, ugly orange bird tried to pull more from him, and he graciously flipped a few small bits in the air to the phoenix. Taodoine obliged, squawking some chirpish, asinine sound that forced a smile from the electromancer.

GP

Name
    Taische O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    4'10"/slender
    Job
    Child

View Profile
    “Attila only lets us tell him what to do because you told him he should, Uncle Storm.” Taische’s feet played in the shortened stirrups. “He knows you’re his human. He’s a smart horse. And I don’t think he’d let me ride him if you hadn’t put me up here, even though we’re friends. He’s very picky about who he lets on his back.”

The horse bobbed his head and snorted, as if in agreement with his tiny rider. He might have simply been in agreement with the easy pace and the cool, clear weather, but if so he had picked an interesting time to show it.

“Where are we going, mom?”

Karuka rolled her shoulders and whistled to Taodoine to keep up. The phoenix was playing in the sky, intent on chasing down the puffy clouds that floated high above. “I thought we’d board a boat an’ see if we can’t catch th’ risin’ sun.”

Taische frowned for a second. The horizon fled every time they got near; people only met the goddess of dawn at home in old myths. How could they catch the rising sun? They’d have to go east forever to…

We have to go east. We have to go east.

“Are we going home?!” She didn’t wait for an answer. “We’re going home! We’re going home, Ta!” The phoenix warbled at his human sister’s excitement, landing gently on Attila’s big rump.

“We can show Uncle Storm our house! You’ll like our house, Uncle Storm! It’s all big and made of sandstone and sweet woods, and it’s so big that you could sleep in a different bedroom every night for almost a market cycle! You’ll probably just sleep in mom’s room, but you could. It has to be that big because sometimes we need to have village elders over for meetings, and the furthest ones have to walk a whole day just to get to us. And we have a great big garden that has a little stream through it, and the jungle comes right up to the rear wall. We can show you the jungle! But you shouldn’t wear boots in the jungle, because a nasty fungus will turn your feet yellow and then make them rot off. We’ll get you the right shoes. And the right clothes. I know Corone is cold, but you will die in Jalaan if you wear your normal clothes. You’ll just melt into soup and then the cats will drink you.”

Karuka laughed at her daughter’s description of the tropical heat. “Maybe we’ll see if there’s another land that’ll call t’ us when we set foot on its soil. Maybe we’ll go home. But if we do, y’ know that th’ Duke will be on me t’ give y’ away.”

Taische rolled her eyes. “Ohtli is only just turning eight. He can’t be formally engaged until he’s thirteen, and can’t get married until he’s fifteen. That’s like forever. And besides, he’s going to want to marry Yolotli by then. You’ve already told Duke Tlacalel that.”

“Y’ know he’ll have none of that, though.”

“Doesn’t matter what he’ll have or won’t have.” Taische patted Attila’s neck and raked her hair out of her face. “You said it would be wrong for you to choose for me, so it’s wrong for him to choose for his son.”

“That’s th’ way I b’lieve, wee bit. It’s what I think is best fer you. He’s also tryin’ t’ do his best fer his son. That’s somethin’ y’ll understand someday, when y’ve a little one of yer own.”

Karuka didn’t add that he was also trying to do his best for his bloodline and his people; a Duchess with powers on Taische’s level and future heirs that had even a fraction of that power would strengthen Jalaan exponentially. But Taische was not fit to be the broodmare for a man of power, not when she could be so much more on her own.

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    The excitement offered by the beaming little prodigy was quickly doused by a bit of cold water. Taische appeared to have been tapped to become a princess, a duchess, or some other form of royalty that Storm didn’t fully understand, but seemed wholly disappointed by the process. Unless things were different in their homeland, royalty was generally accompanied with riches, power, and prestige. While the reintroduction of the lovely O’Sheeans had reminded him that there were more important things, money and power certainly solved more problems than they created.

Doesn’t want to be a princess? Be waited on hand and foot? Never worry about money? Gods, does the little prince have an older sister?

He smiled at the situation as he strolled, dimples sprouting about the sides of his mouth as genuine happiness washed over him. He was hot, sweaty, and smelled. He had been held at gunpoint and likely found his face back up on the wall at the post office. Still, in spite of his soreness and physical misery, a sort of contention would not be settled at the thought of seeing this sandstone and sweetwood home. The teenager in him took a gratuitous leer at the taut, round bottom of his athletic love, and longed for an exploration of all these bedrooms that little Taische was babbling about.

“Taische, kiddo, you don’t strike me as much the princess type, but wealth and security are not the worst curses a girl can suffer. Either way, I need to see this palace of yours; I didn’t realize I was saddling up with a sugar mama in this whole situation.”

Another smile towards the beautiful, olive skinned Karuka, who laughed a bit in spite of her knowing much better than he did regarding her child’s welfare. They both knew that magic was the real curse that the little one suffered, which would terrify the ungifted that an un-checkable power had assumed control over their little fiefdoms.

There was a brief quiet as the trio walked, some thought and introspection of respective situations. Lives were taking dramatic, dynamic turns; the entire framework of their plans had just changed courses entirely. Chatter and small talk were expended quickly; the magnitude of this collaboration settled upon them. There were concerns that the lithe wizard had around such the logistics of their plan, but such details could be overcome with improvisation and simple cash.

“Let’s charter from Yanbo Harbor, north of Jadet and Capitol City. Whomever tried to set me up will probably try to send a couple clowns down to intercept me at the bigger ports. We can bribe a fisher for a private shot to Scara Brae, then get a better ride to your home from there.”

Attila brayed at this, as if the big pile of muscle and anger understood the strategy offered. The concept of fitting the big horse onto an inferior ship didn’t sit well, and Storm hoped that some combination of whiskey or O’Sheean witchcraft would be sufficient to sedate the ebony monstrosity enough to ride with relative comfort.

Might be a long ride for you, big fella, but sure as shit I’m not leaving you behind.

Together, Storm Veritas and the O’Sheean ladies continued to march eastward as the sun climbed directly above them. The walk would take them a good stretch of time; that their feet, backs, and stomachs were largely content remained critical. Delaying to rest, recover, and give those ambushers time to regroup was completely out of the question. A few drops of sweat ran coolly down the outside of his hands as he flicked them away from his fingertips; this would be a difficult march for the fair-skinned magician. A few hundred yards before them, a handful of large carrion birds swirled and searched the ground from the comfort of great elevation.

Oh, screw you relentless bastards. I’m not going to make food for you any time soon.

GP

Name
    Taische O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    4'10"/slender
    Job
    Child

View Profile
    Karuka tilted her head, considering Storm’s suggestion and the reasoning behind it. They could catch a ship out of Jadet and go directly to Dheathain without need for any delay; taking a little fishing boat to Scara Brae instead both exposed them to another potential source of danger - putting Storm in any city when he was feeling bold, or introducing Taische to a new environment was just begging for trouble - and it kicked up a nervous feeling in the redhead’s stomach. The great sailing ships were so small and so fragile compared to the ocean’s wrath; tiny scows seemed like they’d tip over at the slightest wave.

Maybe her reservations came from a traumatic boating accident when she was a very small child, but the Tenalach liked to believe she’d left that in her past shortly after her first meeting with Storm. More likely, she told herself, she just didn’t like being out of contact with the earth. Anyone would get uncomfortable at the thought of having their hearing taken away for even a few days, let alone a few months.

“I’m not sure I’m comfortable takin’ a tiny wee boat. They might be fine fer a day out in shallow water, but on the open sea? We’d sink if th’ horse spooked, much less if th’ water got rough. I’d not be opposed t’ seein’ Scara Brae again, though… if th’ both of y’ promised t’ behave yerselves.”

She fixed both her lover and her daughter with a stern look, half forgetting that trouble followed her just as closely as it did them. A mere decade earlier, she’d have disregarded many potential dangers, but motherhood had changed her.

“We could get a good ship out of Scara City, in any event. Queen Valeena owes me a very large, very old favor. Charter t’ th’ east isn’t askin’ much.” At the age of sixteen - a lifetime ago - she’d both retrieved an ancient Scarabrian artifact and had revealed a traitor in the Queen’s Court. She hadn’t thought of that debt in many years, but it would make for an easy way to get where they needed to go. And just maybe, if Storm was lucky, he’d get a rare chance to see her dressed in something other than her travel and combat vlince.

“I always behave myself.” Taische stood up in the stirrups to give her buttocks a rest from the horse’s constant bouncing. “Sometimes I just don’t behave myself the way you want me to.”

The little girl looked down at her mother and Storm. “I think we should get a bigger boat out of a bigger city. That way we can walk Attila around and he won’t get so cranky. And besides, even if the bad guys show up, they’ll only be ready to maybe take on Uncle Storm. They won’t be ready for all three of us.”

“Y’ mean they wouldn’t be ready fer th’ both of us. There’s no way in th’ TÃ*r fo Thuinn that I’m lettin’ you get in on th’ fightin’.”

“But-!”

Karuka’s eyes pierced her daughter like a pair of frosty spears, and Taische dropped back into the saddle with a huff. Just because there were few individuals in Althanas that could challenge the nine-year-old in raw power didn’t mean she could challenge so much as half the world in wisdom, and the older O’Sheean wasn’t about to let her child challenge decisions about her wellbeing.

“Yanbo’s a large enough harbor t’ have passenger ships leavin’ fer Scara Brae ev’ry few days. We can have Taodoine scout ahead b’fore we enter town t’ see if there’ll be a ship goin’ th’ day we arrive. We can make camp outside th’ town if not. Does that sound reasonable, Storm?”

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast