Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile

Essence Of: Plot

Hello Althanas!

We're back with Essence Of episode three! Keep answering my questions and responding to the podcasts and I'll start thinking you guys are enjoying this cast or something.

In this episode, Gnarl and Root and I discuss plot and the structure thereof. As always, your feedback is appreciated; I'll ramble on the mic as long as you guys keep inviting me back, so don't forget to check the question thread soon for next show's questions!

Without further ado, I present:

Essence Of: Plot
    Last edited by Karuka; 02-29-16 at 08:43 AM.
    The Karu knows.

EXP: 128,600, Level: 15
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 6,400
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,400
    GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    Loved this, it was a great listen. I agreed with your takes on most things, until Gnarl sort of rallied against endings where the protagonist FAILS, where I nearly started screaming at my screen. The perfect example for me here is the satisfaction rendered in "The Usual Suspects", a movie where the protagonist fails miserably in a wildly satisfying, incredible experience.

Great job!

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Veritas View Post
    Loved this, it was a great listen. I agreed with your takes on most things, until Gnarl sort of rallied against endings where the protagonist FAILS, where I nearly started screaming at my screen. The perfect example for me here is the satisfaction rendered in "The Usual Suspects", a movie where the protagonist fails miserably in a wildly satisfying, incredible experience.

Great job!
    This.

I'm actually sort of surprised at Gnarl for this. In the discussions we've had in the past he has always seemed to enjoy the types of endings that steer away from the cliche. Then again, that's not to say there is anything cliche about protagonists getting what they want either.

Enjoyable episode though nonetheless. Well done guys.

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Reaching beyond the stars
    EXP: 4,150, Level: 2
    Level completed: 72%, EXP required for next level: 850
    Level completed: 72%,
    EXP required for next level: 850
    GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile
    Haha, BlackandBlueEyes said the same thing Storm.

Don't get me wrong, the bad guys winning, doesn't make it a bad ending. I think I maybe didn't explain myself properly. But, I don't like seeing a massive journey to feel I wasted my time by the end of it.

The Usual Suspects is a fantastic example of it done correctly, and its a truly awesome film because of how well its done. I never felt it was a wasted time.

And Shin is again right, I don't like a cliche ending, but don't think the good guy winning means is cliche, it entirely depends on how its done.

Sometimes there is a set way that stories go that has become cliche. I don't really enjoy those. But yes, I prefer a somewhat happy ending over a bad one, so sue me! lol
    The Destroyer of Worlds

Part 1: The Gnarled Roots of Osiris
    - Philomel ~ "One of the best "opening" threads by any character I have ever read."
    Part 2: The Truth we Left Behind
    -Currently writing-

Be the Hero you can be.
    EXP: 90,981, Level: 13
    Level completed: 8%, EXP required for next level: 13,019
    Level completed: 8%,
    EXP required for next level: 13,019
    GP

Name
    Nanashi (Ingwe Helyanwe)
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black-Brown
    Eye Color
    Black-Brown
    Build
    178cm / 70kg
    Job
    Shusai, Kensai, Monjutsushi

View Profile
    You're way too kind, Karu. In honesty I haven't finished a proper story in a while (particularly on Flames) so I'm slightly surprised that you still rate me so highly ^^. That said, I was expecting When Serpents Smile to come up sooner or later!

With regards to protagonist failure, I think the difference is in the nuance of the term 'failure'. Especially on Althanas, when the end of the story told in the thread is almost never the end of the character's story, the question (like in life) is what the protagonist takes out of the failure. Can you as the writer take your readers through the process of the protagonist picking himself up off the ground and gearing up for another fight? Did you at least leave a sliver of hope that your plot can be resolved in a satisfactory - not necessarily happy - ending? I think this was what Gnarl was trying to say; in fairness, he mentioned that he needed something to 'grasp on to', as opposed to a 'waste of time'. The couple of times I've written scenes where my protagonists perish in perceived failure, all hope lost, my other characters have always been around to pick up the pieces (i.e. leaving something behind for the next generation). In essence, I feel that it's only protagonist failure if you (and your other characters) allow it to be ^^.

Equally interesting to me - and you touched upon this with Maddy's AC Finals thread - is when a protagonist technically succeeds, but loses something crucial in the process (sometimes more important than the success). Nanashi in Dawnbringers was like that: he contributed to the defeat of Xem'zund, but had his entire soul, his motivation, his raison d'etre, shattered in the process. Five years of real time later (a year in-character), he's still wandering the wastes of Berevar clinging to the last shards of his purpose (mostly because I as a writer currently lack the skill and the story infrastructure to put him back together again).

I think we can all agree that these are examples of non-cliched endings, at least!
    -Level 10-

You made me laugh, you make me smile
    For you I will always go the extra mile
    I hope that the day will come when I can banish this pain
    I just hope that one day I will see you again

EXP: 30,152, Level: 7
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 4,848
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,848
    GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Dovicarus (Cleansing One)
    Hair Color
    White to Gray
    Eye Color
    Maroon
    Build
    5'2 / 119lb
    Job
    Cleansing One

View Profile
    That was fun to listen to. Screaming at the sky is fun too though! Curious as to who the surprise guests for next time will be though! Not really much to say for myself I'm not entirely sure how my plots happen. Seems more like half and half of pantsing and plotting. Some days more plotting than others? I dunno. Usually starts out planned and then all the gerbils manage to run away.
    Current Adventures:
    None

Party:
    None

Recently Done:
    Following...
    Perspective...
    Price...
    Songs...
    He Who Waits...
    Matriarch's...

Daonnan Caillte
    EXP: 79,284, Level: 12
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next level: 10,716
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next level: 10,716
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Veritas View Post

Great job!
    I'd like to bring up Big Street again as an example of protagonist failure. Storm failed, Taische failed, and it can even be argued that Karuka failed. But it was an ending that, if I hadn't written it, I'd probably be hounding the writers to know what happens next.
    The Karu knows.

Hand of Virtue
    EXP: 87,799, Level: 12
    Level completed: 84%, EXP required for next level: 2,201
    Level completed: 84%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,201
    GP

Name
    Artemis Eburi
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown and Gray
    Eye Color
    Piercing Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Smith

It's funny because what I got from Gnarl's comment about a satisfying ending wasn't that the protagonist has to succeed, but that the reader is left with some sliver of hope. What came to mind for me was 500 Days of Summer. He fails. He doesn't get the girl. She marries another guy. He feels played. He feels broken. And in the last scene of the movie, a woman introduces herself as Autumn. I loved that little ending. Things don't have to end well. But things ending with a positive 'outlook' of sorts are easier to handle. Even Nicholas Sparks books that are pretty much always tragedies try to have silver lining ending the books. Some sort of optimism or hope. That's what I got from his comment.
    2011 Althy Winner - Most Realistic Character
    2016 Althy Winner - Best Contributor & Player of the Year (tie)

Artemis Eburi Wiki Page
    Current Character Profile

Solo Quests:
    Hidden Beneath The Canopy (75)
    Lost Loot of Lornius (74)

EXP: 13,891, Level: 4
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next level: 109
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next level: 109
    GP

Name
    Kryos
    Race
    Dwiilar
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Crimson, Silver
    Build
    5' 11" / 158 lbs
    Job
    Wanderer, Soul Mage

View Profile
    Finally had time to sit down and listen. Good work guys. These are turning out very successfully.
    -Level 4-

The path of redemption requires both light and shadow.

Make It So
    EXP: 23,137, Level: 6
    Level completed: 45%, EXP required for next level: 3,863
    Level completed: 45%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,863
    GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brunette
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'3 / 115
    Job
    Mechanic

View Profile
    AP has been awarded to all participants of this podcast.
    Althy's Judging Admin
    To try or not to try. To take a risk or play it safe.
    Your arguments have reminded me how precious the right to choose is.
    And because I've never been one to play it safe, I choose to try.