Home Bitter Home - Explorations of Eiskalt Chapter I: Section I

Out of Character:
Solo. Tons of Eiskalt lore featured here! I wrote this very rushed, on a mobile device with no Microsoft Word. I do have a spell check though... But yeah, I know this is a bit bad. I wrote this to get my creative juices going and as a bit of an experiment.

Ain't it something to know you're lost?

It was something. To know just about everything one had was gone. From home to family, to love to childish security. In only a series of a couple of weeks she watched it be stripped from her. Her mentor and once considered sister parted ways on her own behalf. Then, all of the Tular Plains unleashed terror upon her when her cousin and best friend, Jonathan Knopsnider, died a captive to the Coronian Empire. Her one link to the Coronian Rangers, and the greatest friend and relative of her life, was slain before her very eyes. It sparked the chain reaction of Felicity's... unusual and unnatural rage... and the death of her own father by heart attack upon hearing the news.

Now, Felicity had no where to go to, she was alone. As tough of a fighter as she was, the fifteen year old had no life to build upon in Corone. She could become a bounty hunter, as she already had experience thanks to her training under Ayleth Icebreaker. However, would that ever land her anywhere meaningful? It was her dream to become a Coronian Ranger, but her recent failures seemed to push her further away from that goal. One other, somewhat crazy, prospect had crossed her mind. While she generally referred to herself as a Coronian, Corone was not the place of her birth. The place she was born in, and spent a lot of her childhood under, was some frigid third world country called Eiskalt.

According to rumors - just rumors, mind you - Eiskalt was undergoing a lot of change. Since the Eiskalt War, a well known battle of recent years that resulted in half the country's destruction, there was an additional civil war that literally decided the country's fate. Since a fresh off the press Democratic government took seat, the country apparently was starting to recover from several years of poverty and plague.

Who knew, maybe Felicity Knopsnider would find something there.

So, there she stood. A bundled up, redheaded teen shivering on the deck of a common ship. This ship was a merchant's boat from Fallien to Eiskalt, and Felicity managed to hitch a ride as long as she helped around the ship. She had been working two weeks as a ship hand, keeping the cargo of spices and materials in mint condition. The time at sea had given her time to slow down after the never ending nightmare she endured in Corone, but now this journey seemed about over. A fairly sized, mountainous island was in plain view.

Ice bergs and glaciers coated the frosty sea. The chill in the air could literally be smelled, and the snow gently falling from the grey sky above made everything feel more unwelcoming. Felicity rubbed her hands together, remembering the freezing temperatures of her homeland quite well.

"A bit chilly, Las?"

The green eyed girl turned to see the captain, who was even more bundled up than her, shivering on over to her. "This is nothing like Fallien... Why are we trading with this hunk of snow and ice?"

Felicity shrugged, speaking in her lisp "It'w take some getting used to."

The captain, a tan skinned and brown haired man in his forties, laughed. "This shall take a lot of getting used to!"

Felicity chuckled, looking back towards the direction of the island, "Yeah, it sha-ow..."