Thread: Valley of the Golden Lily

GP

Name
    Romis Heartsblood
    Race
    dragon

Valley of the Golden Lily

((Sorta kinda open. PLEASE PM Chelley first and check out the recruitment thread to get an idea of what this is about. Those that have already expressed an interest in the recruitment may post whenever they like. Thanks! ))

Romis sat cross-legged on the floor in a darkened room, lit only by a few thick candles in the far corners. He waited, somewhat impatiently, while the old woman before him crooned softly. Her boney, ring-clad fingers smoothed over her large crystal ball over and over again. She was dressed in a variety of bright colors and wore numerous gold bracelets on both wrists and large hoops in her ears. Ordinarily, Romis did not give much credit to so-called fortune tellers, but he had grown desperate. He was just about to get up and leave, when she seemed to “wake-up” from her trance.

“Your journey is long, young dragon.”

Romis jumped a little at those words. He had not told her his true race. Though he had a small version of dragon’s wings, he passed them off as a unique cloak. Aside from his gold-colored eyes, the wings were the only indication of being a nonhuman.

“How did you…”

The woman’s chuckle cut him off, “Rhoda knows all, young one. No more interruptions! Listen well! Madam Rhoda is not in the habit of repeating herself.”

She cleared her throat and began once more.

“Your journey is long. The knowledge you seek is known to one. Three gifts you must bring: Water, Earth, and Air. Far to the north you must travel. I see a long, narrow canyon….a bejeweled cave…”

“Where? I need more than that!”

“I can see no more.”

Irritated, Romis got to his feet and dropped a few coins on the table. He left, leaving the heavy curtains that served as a door swirling in his wake.

Utter nonsense, what kind of gifts are those? Air, water and earth… ridiculous!

“So how’d it go?”

The soft, feminine voice brought his attention to the young woman that had scurried to catch up to him. Her leather boots made barely any noise as she nearly skipped to keep up with her tall friend.

“Waste of good coin. All she gave me was some mumbo jumbo about taking gifts to some mystery person in the far north.”

“Well that sounds like a fun adventure. Where do we start?”

“We don’t, Stella. It’s just a bunch of nonsense,” he practically growled.

“That’s a silly reason,” she chided, now munching on an apple she pulled from her satchel. When that prompted no response she continued. “Look, I know what you think of fortune tellers. And I know you think it’s silly, but Madam Rhoda has never been wrong, and I do mean never. Besides, you’ve tried everything else that either of us can think of.”

Stella darted in front of him and stopped, forcing him to halt and look down at her. Her green eyes softened as she met his gaze and her shoulder-length hair shimmered from lavender to dark blue, “This might be your only chance, Romis. Why not give it a try? After all, you’ve tried everything else.”

He sighed. She had a point. They had been searching for three years now for an answer to why he couldn’t transform. Every lead they’d tried had turned out to either be nonexistent or didn’t work. He looked deep into her green eyes and gave in.

“All right, we’ll give it a shot. Where do you think we should start? Gift of water, air, or earth?”

Stella moved back to walk at his side. “Hmmm, let’s start with water. Maybe this person is a collector and wants pretty things. So maybe a really pretty fish or a special gem like a pearl or something.”

Romis thought about that for a moment. “Perhaps, but I’m still not sure where to even start.”

“That’s part of the fun, Romis. If we’re starting with water, let’s start by going to coast. We can discuss exactly where on the coast over a meal.”

The dragon smiled at his friend and followed her to Underwood’s main tavern. He still didn’t know exactly how this was going to work out, but at least Stella would be happy in the process.
    Last edited by Heartsblood; 04-11-16 at 12:27 AM.
    Stella

Stella is a major NPC. She may NOT be used without my permission for any reason.

GP

Name
    Luna
    Race
    Kitsune
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'-2" / 95 Lb
    Job
    Wanderer

View Profile
    "Whooooa!"

The congregated crowd cheered in chorus as a collaboration of culinary cutters congregated collectively circumferential to a chosen confection. From butter knives to a spectator's dagger, no blade was spared in the display. The spectacle started simply, and as each target was perfectly pierced, more and more challenging assets were brought as targets. A watermelon riddled with more cuts than could be thought possible was followed by a smaller melon, and after the bisected apple came a plum. Eventually, or perhaps inevitably, one brave soul stepped forward and offered himself to hold the next target in his hand. The grape, now resting in three pieces next to the other sacrificial fruit, had been enough to call a rather vocal and boisterous hurrah from the enthralled mass.

Central to the spectacle was a curious creature far from her homeland: a kitsune. Silver hair cascaded down to the small of her back as she flowed around the tables and chairs, each step carefully measured with the sway of her hips and sweep of her kimono across the floor. The kitsune's origin was clearly somewhere near the Akashiman wilds judging from the ornate silver outfit she wore. Intricate black foxes and leaves were interspersed around the edges with a midnight black obi desperately trying to hold her more womanly features in. She was tall, taller or equal to most of the men in the bar, yet when she leapt onto a table, it hardly showed her weight. Clearly a kitsune, but entirely passable as a human should her tall ears and silky tail not be seen. Golden eyes opened wide as she soaked in the praises and adoration of her worshipers. Perhaps she would afford the luxury suite tonight if a drunken suitor didn't offer to pay for her first.

"You have seen," her voice was soft and low, but the instant those rose lips parted, the crowd hushed to hear her words, "time and again, my skill."

A soft murmur rose from the mass as the drunk conjectured and the sober pondered what she meant. Her pause was deliberate, allowing them just enough time to begin to think before interrupting them again.

"Which of you is brave enough to stand against that wall? Who among you is man enough to trust a fox?"

Deliberate words coupled with her now decidedly fox-like smile and a single knife produced from somewhere within the confines of her robes hushed the crowd once more. It was a brave challenge, as even an expert's hand was prone to slipping, but she had more than proven her skill to at least one man there. He was probably teetering on the line of just drunk enough to think it was a good idea but too drunk to think of the consequences. There was always one man.

"The night is still young," she almost whispered, yet her voice carried to the corners of the room, "is there even one man who can say he faced danger and refused to blink~?"