Green
    Build
    5'3 / 115
    Job
    Mechanic

View Profile

Hogwarts Doubt [Information & Sign Up]

Hogwarts Doubt

Hogwarts. For hundreds of years, it has been a place of knowledge, a place of safety, and above all, a place of magic. Within these towering stone walls, students have gained valuable experience, and found lifelong friends, and grown up to be some of the world's most influential witches and wizards. But a new darkness has befallen these hollowed halls. Only the most observant have noticed, but with each passing day, the strange sensation spreads. Unexplainable phenomena hint at the approaching evil, and it is up to you to piece together the puzzle. It will take three souls to unlock the secrets that lurk deep within Hogwarts, and rest assured that there are forces working to thin your ranks. Can you overcome your doubt, and save your school?

Gameplay
    - Hogwarts Doubt is a Harry Potter themed version of Rabbit Doubt. If you're unfamiliar with RD, feel free to look it up. It is essentially mafia on steroids, with story posts meant to help you locate the killers.
    - Your job, as a player, will be to discuss, vote, and complete any actions. Just check in once a day, or every other day.
    - There are two phases of play in this game, with roles attached to each. The night phases involves the murder(s), the day phase involves the lynch votes. Special roles may disrupt this process.
    - One player will take on the role of the Voldemort. He may kill every night phase. Voldemort is the main killer.
    - One player is playing the role of Bellatrix Lestrange. She may kill two players, regardless of phase. Bellatrix is the secondary killer.
    - Each day phase, the survivors cast a lynch vote. The player who receives the most votes will be lynched.
    - The Death Eaters win if there are fewer than three members, including themselves.
    - The school wins if all killers are caught before the numbers dwindle to less than three.
    - Players who have been killed may not post again after the story post is up. This is an attempt to make sure precious information is not leaked, leading to a much shorter game. However, I urge all players to read along, regardless of whether or not they are already dead. Spoiler alert: There will be opportunities for those who have been killed to contribute to the game later on.

Rules
    - Roles will be handed out using a random number generator. Do not request a role.
    - Anyone who has been inactive for an extended period of time will be modkilled (think multiple days without contacting me). And remember, inactivity is suspicious. If you don't speak all game, most might suspect that you have something to hide.
    - Those who are not playing the game may not post in this topic. I will report those who clutter up my game.
    - All votes must be made via PM, Facebook message, text message, etc. Just get to me. Any "votes" posted in this topic will not count for anything.
    - You may discuss the game via PM, but I would really prefer it if you kept most of the discussions to the topic. It makes for a more exciting game, and if everyone takes a part in dissecting the story posts, there is a better chance the roles will be guessed correctly. However, there are no screenshots allowed. Copy/pasting and forwarding is free game, as they can be easily edited.
    - Do not take anything in this game personally. If your best friend votes to kill you, that does not mean that they are no longer your best friend. It is all a game. Also, please respect your GMs and your fellow players. It makes for a more enjoyable game all around.
    - Only my story posts will be posted in the IC. Votes and role abilities will be kept to PM, and discussion will be strictly OOC (this thread).
    - There will be spoilers. Please be aware.
    - Finally, these rules are subject to change. I will alert you of any alterations that I make.

Roles
    Prefect - He or she will have the ability to cast a vote that carries twice as much weight (counts as two votes). The leader is selected by the players via PM. In the event the leader is killed early on, a second leader will be selected.

Voldemort - Oh, how far you have fallen, Voldemort. Such a brilliant mind, with so much potential. Hogwarts was once your play place. Yet you have allowed your thirst for power to warp you, and now you kill every night, without mercy. You are the primary killer.

Bellatrix - There is little question that you'll do anything Voldemort asks of you; you are his most loyal, most sadistic follower. To aid in his mission, you kill two others, regardless of phase. Certainly, you are ruthless enough to kill under the cloak of night or even in broad daylight. You are the secondary killer.

Hermione - Miss Granger, you are the brightest witch of your age. You have a remarkable ability to learn things that you probably should not know, and that makes you vital to the school. Every night phase, you may investigate the role of one other individual. You are the detective role.

Minerva McGonagall - Even if the students don't always recognize it, you are among their greatest protectors. You constantly look out for the well-being of your children. Every day, you go out of your way to protect another from a potential attack. Just be careful, because if you protect a killer, you will be killed instead of the killer’s initial target. You are the day protector.

[A few other roles will be posted shortly, but most will remain a mystery.]

Players
    (I'd love for 15 or so, if possible. Please note, abilities may change prior to the game starting depending on how many players we have.)
    1. Cards of Fate
    Althy's Judging Admin
    To try or not to try. To take a risk or play it safe.
    Your arguments have reminded me how precious the right to choose is.
    And because I've never been one to play it safe, I choose to try.

Make It So
    EXP: 23,137, Level: 6
    Level completed: 45%, EXP required for next level: 3,863
    Level completed: 45%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,863
    GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brunette
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'3 / 115
    Job
    Mechanic

View Profile
    If you have any questions, or you'd like to sign up, please post here!
    Althy's Judging Admin

EXP: 128,600, Level: 15
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 6,400
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,400
    GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    How is the story constructed? Is it GM driven, player contrived, or some combination?

In The Eye of a Hurricane
    EXP: 62,578, Level: 10
    Level completed: 78%, EXP required for next level: 2,422
    Level completed: 78%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,422
    GP

Name
    Vincent Cain (OOC just call me Fred)
    Race
    Earthling
    Hair Color
    Sandy Blonde
    Eye Color
    Saphire
    Build
    six foot four and slim build
    Job
    Badass motherfucker

Sign me up!
    There is a darkness in you. In all of us, probably. Beasts we keep chained. Ordinary men have to keep the chains strong, for if we let the beast loose then society will turn upon us with fiery vengeance. Kings though...well, who is there to turn upon them? So the chains are made of straw. It is the curse of kings, Helikaon, that they can become monsters. And they invariably do.

Rayleigh is pretty chill. ♥

Make It So
    EXP: 23,137, Level: 6
    Level completed: 45%, EXP required for next level: 3,863
    Level completed: 45%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,863
    GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brunette
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'3 / 115
    Job
    Mechanic

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Veritas View Post
    How is the story constructed? Is it GM driven, player contrived, or some combination?
    Both. I know who has each role, and I handle the votes/actions. For example, let's say the player who is Voldemort messages me and says "kill Storm." I would then write a story post in which the character Storm is killed. However, I'd leave clues to help players track the killer. Clues such as mannerisms, speech patterns, actions themselves. For example, if you're Dumbledore, I'll write you differently than if you're Neville. Based on those clues, and how players discuss in the OOC thread, players would vote to lynch someone who they think is the killer. Then, based on their votes, I'd write another story post to reveal who they voted to kill. It goes on like that.

Here's an example of a story post from my last game. The names are the players.

Spoiler:
    There was nothing on the road that evening. There was no sound, and everything lay still. The moonless night held only a few faint stars, making it difficult to see through the darkness. The bit of light that was available gave the large birch trees that crowded together on each side of the road an eerie feel. Suddenly, the road began to shake ever so slightly. The smallest pebbles began to bounce up and down excitedly, and soon the roar of a vehicle could be heard. It took less than thirty seconds for the car to reach the top of the hill, and suddenly the area was bathed in the light of the high-beams. It soon became apparent that this was not the work of some small compact car, but rather, a good-sized bus. It tore down the road, disappearing as quickly as it had come, and leaving that small part of Northern Michigan undisturbed once more.

“So tell me one more time,” One piped up from the seat opposite the driver. “What is is that we are doing up here in the middle of no where?”
    Seba, who sat at the wheel, glanced over her shoulder to answer the question. She was interrupted by Kanga, who sat behind her. “Forest fires, you idjit.”
    “What about them?” Nargle, who had been eavesdropping, called out.
    “They are a sign of the apocalypse.” This time, it was Awson who answered. “Really the only way we can track the people who are trying to make the whole thing happen.”
    “That means we drive until we see something,” Seba concluded, this time not looking away from the road. “Which isn’t real reassuring, considering I can hardly see anything.”
    “Don’t worry,” Holmes reassured him, still looking out the window herself. “When we have reached the right place, we’ll know.”

The bus continued its journey down the dark road. A few seats behind the discussion taking place up front, Jster and Dragon sat side-by-side, the former with a hand on the knee of the latter.
    “You don’t have to do this,” Jster said softly.
    Dragon’s response came quickly. “Of course I do.”
    “I am just worried about you, I guess,” the older of the two men confessed with a shrug.
    “I know.”
    Jster sighed. “I can’t change your mind, can I?”
    “I wish you could change his mind,” Nat added. She and Squee sat together in the seat across the aisle. Though she spoke excitedly, she held Squee’s hand as tenderly as possible. “I have seen some bad stuff out there. Almost died a few times. But I know what I’m doing, so I was okay.”
    “I know what I’m doing too,” Dragon shot back.
    “No,” Zed said firmly from a seat away. “No, you don’t. It takes years to become an expert hunter.”
    “You better listen to them, sweetcheeks,” Shy said. “It is a dangerous world out there. You better be careful. You wouldn’t want to run into anything that rifle of yours can’t kill.”
    “You’re talking about demons, aren’t you?” K-97 laughed. “Why would demons be wasting their time in this god-forsaken state?”
    “It’s the apocalypse.” Drakel replied with a shrug. “Who knows anymore. Everything has gone to shit.”
    “It is a scary time,” Squee agreed softly. “So much bloodshed.”

“This is it!” Holmes called out suddenly. Seba slowed the bus, and moved it off to the side of the road. She killed the engine, and they sat there for a few seconds in silence.
    Finally, Jorick asked, “does everyone have a flashlight?” There came a chorus of yeses, and he nodded. “Good.” He glanced toward Seba, and when she nodded, he continued. “We’ll all get off the bus then. Just stay close while we look around. Don’t wander off. We don’t know what it is that we’re dealing with here.”
    “So it could be a demon?” Nargle asked, her voice shaking.
    “It could be, yes.” Cordi’s eyes were cold, and her lips were drawn in a tight line. “But if it is, none of the guns we brought are going to work.”
    “Oh enough about demons!” Foxxie groaned, waving a hand in the air. “There are worse things than demons, you know.”
    “No,” Cordi replied, her voice bereft of emotion. “There aren’t.”
    “Enough,” One called out. “Let’s go.” She slipped out into the aisle, jogged down the steps, and emerged into the darkness. Though it was only late September, the northern wind had a bite to it. One shivered against the breeze, but moved expertly to the underside of the bus. She opened the hatch to the seemingly empty luggage storage compartment, and thumbed the hidden latch which opened the false bottom. It was there that their weapons were stored.

Ten minutes later, the hunters were armed and making their way into the forest.
    “This doesn’t look like the scene of a forest fire,” Shy called out. “I don’t think we have the right place.”
    “We do,” Holmes said firmly. “There’s something here.I can sense it.”
    “A demon?” Jorick asked, clutching his weapon a bit tighter.
    “I don’t know.”
    “So what are we looking for?” TP asked.
    As if to answer his question, the silence was shattered by an ear-piercing howl. It sounded close, but it was difficult to tell exactly which direction it came from, as the sound seemed to bounce of the trees around them.
    “Oh my god,” Nargle cried out, grabbing onto One’s arm.
    One shrugged the girl off, and moved up alongside Cordi. “What do you think that was?”
    “Black dog? Skin-walker?” He cast a glance toward Zed and Kanga, who stood together a few paces off. They looked at each other for a moment, then both shrugged. “Well, we need to keep moving.”
    “We could split up,” Foxxie offered. “Cover more ground that way.”
    “That might be a good idea,” Cordi agreed with a nod. “Just stay with one or two other people. Do not go off alone. We’ll send off a flare when it is time to return to the bus.” With that, they group dispersed.

An hour later, Shy and K-97 were walking together through the darkness. The wind rustled the leaves around them, and some that had begun to change color early were plucked from their trees and strewn about. The men had their collars turned up against the cold.
    Finally, Shy broke the silence. “What are we doing out here, man?”
    “We’re hunting demons, obviously.”
    Shy cocked an eyebrow. Slowing to a halt, he put his hands on his hips and regarded K-97 with a quizzical expression. “Since when did you want to help anyone?”
    K-97 pressed a hand to his heart, a hurt expression on his face. “Why Shy, I am insulted.”
    “Whatever.” Shy rolled his eyes. “I just don’t understand why-”
    “HELP ME. OH MY GOD HELP ME. ITS GOT ME. HELP!”
    Both men whipped around. “That sounded like Kanga,” Shy cried. “Which way did it come from?”
    “Come on,” K-97 barked, motioning for Shy to follow him. They took off into the night.

A few minutes later, they slowed to a halt beside the fallen body of their comrade. They arrived just as the others did as well.
    “We heard screaming.” One jogged up seconds later, Holmes and Seba on his heels. Seba fell to her knees beside the body and brushed the leaves away to reveal scratches all up and down the man’s back. “Well, something got him, that’s for sure.” She checked his pulse. “He’s gone.”
    “Wait.” One held up a hand. “Were those leaves on him when you got here, K-97?”
    “Obviously, I didn’t put them there.”
    “We just heard the screaming a minute ago, but his body is already covered in leaves. Unless the thing that killed him tried to cover him up, I think he died a while ago.”
    Seba’s eyes widened. “So that wasn’t him screaming after all.”
    “It was him, I know it,” Shy insisted. “It sounded just like him.”
    Seba climbed to her feet, her movements more rushed now that she had an idea of what was going on. “It did sound like him. But it wasn’t him. It was something mimicking his voice.”
    Cordi suddenly understood. “Wendigo,” she breathed. Then, louder, “we have to go, now.”
    “Come on!” Holmes grabbed the arm of the closest individual and began to make her way back to the bus.
    Nat did the same, holding onto Drakel with one hand, and Squee with the other.
    Everyone disappeared into the trees. Everyone except for Zed and Cordi, who lingered over Kanga’s body for a minute longer.
    “I’m going to miss him so much,” Zed whispered, shaking his head.
    Cordi put a hand on his back reassuringly. Then, something caught her eye. She stooped down next to the body, brushed back a few more leaves, and studied the marks. “Wait a second. These aren’t scratch marks.” She paused. “They look more like stab wounds.”
    “What?” Zed asked through sniffles.
    “I don’t think he was killed by a wendigo. I think he was killed by someone with a knife.” Cordi looked up at Zed.

And froze.

Behind the man stood a fifteen-foot figure. He was hunched over, and his hairless skin was yellowed and pulled taut over his bones. Yellow fangs hid an abnormally long tongue, and his eyes glowed against the darkness that surrounded them. The wendigo threw back its head and emitted a tremendous roar.

Then it burst into flames.

Cordi had plucked the flare gun from her pocket and fired directly into the thing’s stomach, knowing that fire was the only way to kill it. It writhed in agony as Cordi and Zed took off in the direction of the bus. They ran, unsure of whether or not anything else was in those woods, including more wendigos. The last thing that they wanted to do was hang around to find out.

Suddenly, Zed fell to the ground. Rolling over with a groan, and favoring his right knee, he turned to look at what it was he had tripped over. Horrified, he realized it was a body.
    “Oh god, no,” he groaned.
    Holmes lay lifeless on the ground, a knife still sticking out of her back.
    “What happened?” Zed cried out.
    “I don’t know,” Cordi replied, helping Zed to his feet. “But we have to leave her. We have to go.”
    Still whimpering, clearly shaken by the two deaths, Zed nodded. Together, the man and woman ran the final seventy five yards to the bus, leaving the bloodied body of Holmes behind in the middle of the Michigan wilderness.
    Night Phase One Has Ended

Kanga has been killed. His role was Bobby.
    Without a doubt, you were just as helpful your boys in death as you were while you were still alive. In the event that you are killed, you may go on casting lynch votes. However, you will not be deemed a “winner” should the hunters end the apocalypse.

Holmes has been killed. Her role was Castiel.
    You are Castiel, angel of the Lord. You have many abilities, but you spend much of your time protecting those you love. Mary Winchester used to tell her young son that he had angels watching over him, and you, Castiel, are that angel. Every night, you may protect one of your flock. Be advised, however, that should you protect a killer, you will die instead. You are the night protector.

Day Phase One Begins

All players may cast one lynch vote. Players may determine who the killer is using clues in the storypost, as well as in each player’s response(s) to this thread. The player with the most lynch votes cast against them will be killed. Please send all lynch votes to me via PM.

Please send all day phase role actions to me via PM.
    Althy's Judging Admin

EXP: 128,600, Level: 15
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 6,400
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,400
    GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color