Hair Color
    Sandy Blonde
    Eye Color
    Saphire
    Build
    six foot four and slim build
    Job
    Badass motherfucker

“Nothing?” Nicolette asked, her face remaining a stoic mask.

“I mean nothing. Like, not even rocks.” Vince exclaimed. “It’s just an empty cave.” Nicolette found herself charging forward to follow up on this claim, but her guardian grabbed her by the shoulder.

“Letty I think we have bigger problems.” The chaperone gestured up to the hill they had crossed on their way to the shrine. A small group of fifteen or so people stood at the top, torches lit. Presiding at the front seemed to be the judge, made most noticeable by the large horse he was sitting atop. “We were followed.”

“Mister Cain.” Letty shouted as she turned around. “It looks like the court date just got pushed forward.”

The group began their descent down the hill, torches casting sinister shadows as they walked. Xander seemed to be on guard, hand on his sword, ready for a fight if it came to it. Nicolette knew better, she’d seen what Vincent was capable of.

She was afraid for the judge and his men.

After what felt like ages, the judge was in shouting distance, and the group stopped. “Ms. Morgan!” He boomed. “Would you please tell me why your client’s cell is empty?”

“We were investigating his claims.” The young attorney replied coolly. “As it turns out there is nothing in the cave.”

“Oh really?” One of the man shouted angrily. “You’re telling us our oldest myth is a-“ Nicolette heard a loud snap behind her as suddenly the night turned to dawn and a blinding light shone behind her. The group turned and gasped as Vince stood there, crystal orb in hand as the entire cave was illuminated and left empty.

“The cave is…” The group murmured in awe.

“Empty.” Nicolette finished their statement for them. “Mr. Cain claims the item used to seal the cave in the first place is a…family heirloom and wishes it returned to him.” She strode to the judge and peered up at him. “I assume you have no issues?”

The judge fidgeted in his saddle for a moment, uncomfortable by the demonstration of magic. “I do believe that the town shouldn’t have any problems…” he paused for a moment and sighed. “The Judgment rests its case.”
    There is a darkness in you. In all of us, probably. Beasts we keep chained. Ordinary men have to keep the chains strong, for if we let the beast loose then society will turn upon us with fiery vengeance. Kings though...well, who is there to turn upon them? So the chains are made of straw. It is the curse of kings, Helikaon, that they can become monsters. And they invariably do.

Rayleigh is pretty chill. ♥

EXP: 1,935, Level: 1
    Level completed: 97%, EXP required for next level: 65
    Level completed: 97%,
    EXP required for next level: 65
    GP

Name
    Nicolette Morgan
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blonde
    Eye Color
    Amber
    Build
    5'5 / 130
    Job
    Advisor

View Profile
    They stood a short distance from the crowd, the newly acquitted freedman and his young attorney. Their backs were turned to the others, including Xander, who paced nearby. The knight had positioned himself between his charge and the murmuring mob, and based on the scowl he wore, he was not impressed by the situation. Nicolette, however, did not notice as she looked out across the rolling countryside. Vincent followed her gaze, remaining quiet, allowing her her thoughts.

When she finally spoke her voice was light, contemplative. "So there was truly no monster in the cave?"

The scholar shook his head slowly. "No monster," he assured her. "Nothing at all." Then, because he could hardly help himself, "Though I'm sure I could have handled it had there been one in there."

She loosed a soft hum of acknowledgement. Vincent could nearly see the gears in her mind turning. Such a sharp mind for someone so young. It reminded him a bit of Rayleigh, and the questions she had asked upon their first meeting. Though he kept the smile from his lips, his expression softened as he turned to look at Nicolette. Perhaps that was why he found himself so drawn to the girl.

It was that thought that prompted him to speak once more. "Are you sure that you haven't changed your mind about my proposal?" There was something pleading in the question, a fact that surprised him greatly. Was he begging? He, the mighty and powerful Vincent Cain? The Emperor of the Tarot Hierarchy? It was not as if Nicolette Morgan were the only one who could carry out the duties of the Judgment Card. On the contrary, he imagined it would be fairly easy to locate another once she was no longer a possibility. It was true that fate had led him to her, but fate must have also known that she would say no. That he would be returning home alone. Still, something about her just fit. She was destined, even if she did not know it. And that was what conflicted him. He could not force her, but he could not seem to convince her either.

She matched his question with another. "Why did you not trick these people?"

The oddness of the question threw him off his guard. His sapphire eyes, the same color as the cloudless sky above, blinked back at her. "Come again?"

The young woman still did not look at him. "You could have pretended to kill the monster. Conjured up a vision with your magic. That would have impressed them, and no doubt won you your case. And more than a little glory too."

A less-traveled, less-confident man might have been offended by her frank analysis. But Vincent merely gave a low chuckle. It was only then that she turned to him, her gaze finding his as he continued to speak. "I didn't come for the glory. I don't do much for glory anymore, honestly. Maybe years ago. But now I'm more focused on my work with the Tarot." He held up the artifact he still clutched in one hand. "On finding these artifacts. And on looking after my people."

The unspoken words lingered between them, and his intense stare did nothing to calm her. There it was again, that pleading, that need; it was as if he willed her to join him. Finally, when she said nothing, he filled in the blanks for her. "You could be one of my people."

The golden girl of Caershire did not not avert her gaze, matching him for intensity, even as she lifted her hands. "These," she countered, though not unkindly, "are my people. And just as you look after yours, I look after mine." Vincent's mouth opened, surely to protest, but she cut him off with a shake of her head. "I know, you feel your work with the Tarot Hierarchy will help, indirectly. But indirectly is not enough to satisfy me, Mr. Cain. I am needed her. I hope you can respect that."

He did. He had to. He could see in those eyes, shimmering with passion, hope, and bright sunlight, that he had no other choice. "You're missing out," he replied simply, though his grin indicated there were no hard feelings. The Emperor dropped into a low, sweeping bow. "Goodbye then, Miss Morgan." As he straightened, he offered a wink. "Something tells me this will not be our last meeting."

And then the sandy-haired young man was gone. Shouts of surprise rose from the collection of townspeople at his sudden disappearance, and Nicolette could feel Xander running up behind her. Yet even as she turned to face him, to assure her friend that everything was alright, she, too, believed that she would see that unusual man again.
    Last edited by Nicolette; 06-02-17 at 09:56 AM.
    I know that we can win, I know that greatness lies in you.
    But remember from here on in, history has its eyes on you.

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    Cards of Fate receives 1450 EXP and 135 GP! (inc GP bonus)
    Nicolette receives 890 EXP and 125 GP!

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    All rewards added!

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123