Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Riding Into the Typhoon

Without even pretending to look in the woman's direction, Watcher heard the pause, and then the change in her tone. Something had happened. Nothing that was any of his business, but it was something. Perhaps when he had time to go poring over books again, he'd search for something about settlements to the east. People from around there came through often enough, but he'd never really questioned them about it. Apparently, he wasn't going to question this one, either. But the conversation went back to the Eye, and he couldn't not talk about his city. He was proud of it.

"I certainly hope it's a good place, miss. Otherwise me and my friends are tossing money down the drain while we play around with merchants."

He tossed a slightly cynical smile over his shoulder at her, but it turned into a more good-natured one as he gestured towards the huge lake that the mountain ranged around.

"I assume it's beautiful to look at. It's certainly a lovely place for a walk."

Lakes. Mountains. Where she came from, these were unheard of. Water was scarce. Her people had adapted, learned to find water in unexpected places, but their had been an oasis near enough. And when it rained, they collected the water. Her people were never thirsty, despite living in dry sand.

"You loved by Lady Luck." She grinned. "You have home, water, safety. Many go without."

A reminder. Her mother reminded her constantly about that fact. It kept her humble and generous. Kept them aware and their minds open.

Watcher stopped and turned to smile at the woman walking with him. She was right, of course. He knew that the people he did business with probably had much rougher lives than his. Hell, the people who lived in the undercity probably threw him dirty looks when he passed by. Storm's Eye was nice as cities went, because of the overall lack of gangs and the violence they caused, but he wasn't naive enough to claim that it was perfect here. All the Typhoon Company could do was protect the city from large threats. Policing the whole area wasn't their thing.

"Lady Luck, huh? I think I like that. Takes luck and skill for a blind man to fight people with working eyes."

He winked at her, then started down one of the ramps to the dockmaster's office. A quick check of the man's numbers was all he needed, and he didn't mind the woman watching while he checked.

Blind. He was blind! Zandri had not even noticed. When he winked, Zandri examined his face, the way his eyes would just not quite focus on her, but more in her general direction.

"Ze Gods work in strange ways," she said with a nod. "Vat one may see as disability, may be yer strength."

When her sister lost her hand, she received a blade attachment for her arm. She was deadly, strong. It was never a weakness.

"Is zis way to sleep and drink?" she asked, looking a little confused, "I not so good at zis language..."

"I can't disagree with that. But it's not quite public knowledge, so I'm glad you were fooled."

Watcher gave her another smile, which turned into a more apologetic look as he led her to the office. He'd hoped that she wouldn't mind him dragging her out of the way a bit, but it wasn't like there were more than three or four of these offices around the port. He could get away with sending someone else.

"Sorry... I actually came down to the port to see this guy before I ran into you. Part of my job is to check with the dockmasters when there's a lot of new ships arriving."

Zandri only nodded in response. He had other duties. And Zandri was in no rush. She was a drifter now, lacking purpose. Survival was her only goal. She could afford a detour.

"Vat is job?" she asked, "You... check ships?"

The foreign woman adjusted her head scarf, still walking beside him. She'd had work back home. They all did. Every citizen, from the poorest widow, to the crown Princess herself. They'd all been expected to put in equal work. Zandri had been a scout with her sister. But that was a long time ago. Now? She had nothing. She stole to get by, she did dirty work, she killed men in alleyways for coins. In a way, she was envious of this strangely dressed blind man.

"Sometimes."

Watcher ran his fingers over the door's handle before he opened it. He couldn't tell much about this woman, but he was pretty sure telling her how things worked in Storm's Eye wouldn't do either of them any harm. A sigh escaped him as he opened the door and gestured for her to follow, before turning towards the dockmaster. The sound of him scribbling away this early was a sure sign that the port was busy. Otherwise, he didn't think the man would be here at all. The blue-haired man decided to leave the man to his scribbling and run his hand over the ledger, letting his fingers read the letters for him. Damn, but there were a lot of ships docked. He'd have to visit some of them for news and possible trade contracts sooner or later. After about a minute, he stood up and made for the door, waving as he left.

"Good luck with the numbers, Tom."

"Fair winds, Admiral."

Zandri stayed out of the way, but her eyes watched every motion with interest. Everything seemed so new in every town she went to. Different coins, different dialects, some had completely different languages as well. And the scribbling... Zandri eyes the marks on the paper, quite unable to read them. She could read things written in her native tongue, but not this. Nobody had taught her. It had been hard enough just trying to grasp this language, and she was still certain that she made quite a few mistakes.

When they were outside again, Zandri spoke up again.

"I looking for ship to west. You know one?"

A ship to the west? No. That was not something they had. Raiders, maybe, operating out of some coastal cove somewhere... but nothing friendly. Nothing that Watcher would be willing to let into his harbor long enough to bring passengers aboard. He shook his head, making a gesture as if he'd been lighting a match.

"The last ship we had that claimed to be going to the west, we set on fire and scuttled. Mercenaries work for their coin, pirates come to steal it, we light 'em up and watch them sink. Or, well, I heard them."

It was a bit of a nasty memory, but it was one of the first naval battles Watcher had ever commanded. He sighed as he thought of it, then spread his hands in an 'oh well' gesture.

"If you're just wandering, there's plenty to wander around near the Eye... And if it's work you want, you're in luck."

Her ears perked up at the word 'pirate'. They had those out here? There were desert pirates, those who stole from wandering tradesmen and caravans. Dangerous. But out here? With so much water? What would they have to steal? Wasn't life rich enough already, in this beautiful, wet, mountain land?

"No ships west?"

Now she looked disappointed.

"But what work? I need work for coin, yis?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast