Aqua Blue
    Build
    5'6
    Job
    Fighter

View Profile

Finding Ietus - The Truth in the Lie

(Closed to Lorenor)

Ayithe hung in the torturous position, her arms spread eagle and at full stretch. Her naked body pained and ached from her hanging position, never able to reach the floor beyond her knees and unable to break the steel bonds that held her in position. That burning design in her muscles to pull in her arms and bend her elbows was as excruciating, and inability to protect herself from even shame, let alone harm was one that broke her mentally.

The smell of burnt flesh arose from the dark shadows around her, and clouds of steam slowly poured up from the dark abyss and out of the spot light creating hole that gleamed in from above her. Her exhausted body lay limp but for the chains holding her in position, but her hands did not grip the chains as the chuffs dug and cut into her wrists from the weight of her collapse - her tired legs unable to hold herself up any long.

Her naked body dripped with a heavy sweat as her dazed focus stared down at the blood stained stone floor. Wherever she was now, wherever she was imprisoned, it was a place where humanity had not touched before. Her heir hung long over her shoulders and lay partially strewn over her face, heavy and damp with sweat from the over bearing heat that engulfed her naked skin. A deep tear of sorrow escaped her, one filled with regret for coming to this place for safety and answers to her lost love. She felt the tear as it ran down her warm cheeks, quickly making its way to her chin, until it leapt down to her naked breast and travelled down her free skin until gracing the dirty floor by her knees.

Ayithe wasn't sure how long she had been here for. She had come in search of a few things, but none more important that the reuniting of her lost love - Raslin. Yet he was not here and never had been, for whatever lies had brought her to this place, had since stolen her belongings, stripped her of her clothes, tied her up in these shackles and put her on display in this large dark dank room that held no suggestions to where in the world she was being kept. Yet while she could not protect her own dignity, while she could not hide her personal privacy, only one figure ever entered the room, only one figure had put her here, and she was yet to see anything that suggested he was human.

The loud echoing clunk of the metal door sounded to its unlocking and was quickly followed by the high pitched shrieking of rusty metal as it swung open. Ayithe's eyes tensed shut as she couldn't cover her ears, and the urge to cover herself up arose once again, she hated being seen like this, her own naked body, her pride and personal space removed and embarrassed just because one had the power to humiliate her.

The heavy slapping footsteps each burrowed into her fearful mind - was he finally here to exact punishment upon her? Would he hurt her and torture her? Beat her and cut her? Touch her and rape her? She feared them all, but none more than that latter. So far, she was relatively unharmed besides the position she was forced into, but fear, fear had forced its way into her mind as she contemplated exactly what this thing was to do to her. She was lost and alone and nothing and no one could save her.

A large thud sounded before her as the footsteps came to a holt. Ayithe lifted her tired gaze to see the being she only knew as Ietus stood before her. The large midnight black robes that shielded everything but the black boots that protruded from under the gown. He spoke as if human, but even his hands did not escape from the size and length of the sleeves from this robe. Like a dark priest of the Ethereal Sway his face remained hidden, nothing but a black hole with the occasional spark like a star in the night sky.

"I have decided upon what I want for you." The deep bellowing tone was rough but clear. He spoke slowly as he stepped aside his newly placed object.

Ayithe lay her tired eyes upon the small metallic constructed weapon rack that held only one weapon, a sword that upon first look was freshly made and cleaner than anything else within this horrid room.

"I have decided that I can make great use for yourself, and should you prove your usefulness..." He walked around her, casually ducking under the tightly pulled chain that held her in place. "Then I shall grant you a favour of which will reunite you with the man you seek."

Ayithe's heart skipped a beat at the promise. She wished she could be anywhere else but here, however, if he could return her to, Raslin. To the man she sought more than anything in the world, then everything would feel right again in the world. But what is he asked me to do?

"I have the power to do many things," he leaned over her shoulder to put a whisper in her ear. "I believe this will satisfy the reason you came here in the first place. To reunite... with him. Albeit nothing comes for free in this world."

The robed figure leant back and placed the chuff of his robe on her back. Placing specifically between her shoulder blades at the top of her spine. Ayithe cringed at the touch in the first place, though light and unharmed at first she was then struck with a unbearable pain that felt like a forced burn upon her. Her body tensed and no matter how loud she screamed, and she did scream, the pain did not stop until Ietus decided. Her body, while stiff and rigid for these few moments finally fell limp as the pain subsided.

Ayithe' heavy breathing returned as she relieved from the pain and all the pressure once gain returned to the cuffs that dug into her wrists once more. A new mark appeared on her back, a defined block capital I with a small sharp cross in its center. This was the mark of Ietus.

"I have branded you with my mark, and while I possess many abilities of control over you within my presence, this allows me to once press upon you my powers when you are no longer here." He wandered back towards her view as she recovered. "You cannot remove it, you cannot destroy it, so do not try. Should you not heed my words, I will summon you back here and punish you for it. Do you understand?"

Ayithe tried to hold back the tears, the agonising pain she felt already was enough to remind her that it wasn't worth pushing this any further. She was at his word. "Alright, I understand."

"Good. Then let me advise you of what I wish." He stood up tall before her, swished his arms nonchalantly and her chains just disappeared from existence. She collapsed with a heavy thud into the damp but warm stone floor. Pulling her arms in she held them across her naked body and chest, scrunching herself up into a tiny protective ball as he watched over her. "You will hunt something down for me. A creature that few have ever seen before, but it is only the first of which you must kill."

Ayithe didn't look up, but his words fell upon her ears as she tried to ignore the aching pain that took over her sore body. Ietus waited for a moment, then waved his arm calmed above her and the soothing relief that filled her body as the pain was pulled from her made her weep in relief. She stared at her wrists, once cut and bloodied, now healed and clean. Her arms, shoulders and back no longer ached and the tired feeling was lifted. She sat herself up, covering her modesty as best she could and looked up to her captor with a eerie feeling of fear to his incredible power.

"You will find it and you must kill it. Should you succeed in this task for me. Then I will not only grant you reunion with... Raslin." His voice slowed and teased on his name as the black void under the hood stared down at her. "But I will give you this sword, a sword made by myself within my own personal forge. This grants you certain privileges, but allows you to complete a certain task that I will continue to ask of you and your... Raslin. There is no negotiation. I will teleport you there, you will be returned to how you were when you arrived here and do not fear for being noticed upon arrival, no one will even be aware of it."

Ayithe felt herself feel light, as if lifted from the floor and hovering above it. A bright light quickly engulfed her position and the dark stone room disappeared along with Ietus himself. She closed her eyes and shielded her face as the high tone of a chime rang in her ears, rising higher and higher as she tensed in pain to its continuous nature. Then, it all fell quiet.

Ayithe opened her eyes as she felt the rumbling of a wagon, the cold breeze of a strong wind made its way inside but was halted by the blanketed wagon that carried her. The damp smell of wood after heavy rain was clear Ayithe realised she had been transported as quickly as Ietus has told her. The large and long wagon was rather comfortable, the seat cushioned and all luggage sat secure at her feet. A few others, mostly peasants in appearance, sat alongside and opposite her, but it was far from full. No one noticed her arrival, no one looked at her like she shouldn't be there - it was as if she was there all along.

She looked down at her hands, she was clean and fresh, unharmed and back to normal. Fully clothed and fully armed with all her weapons, her Darling skin attire, her disk blades and wrist guards returned as they were originally. The power of this being, whatever it was, was incredible. She still feared it as she felt relaxed upon where she now sat, knowing that Ietus could recall her at ease. She couldn't see the brand on her back, but she could feel it's warm presence.

How am I supposed to know what to do?

Though now free and painless, Ayithe couldn't shake the uncomfortable feeling that dwelled within her, pulling her chest lace tight on her attire she then folded her arms over her front as she sat quietly.
    Last edited by Gnarl & Root; 08-26-16 at 10:15 AM.
    Ietus Series
    Part 1: - Tirel
    Part 2: - The Dark Tower
    Part 3: -
    Part 4: -
    Part 5: -

EXP: 5,976, Level: 3
    Level completed: 25%, EXP required for next level: 3,024
    Level completed: 25%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,024
    GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Blue (Deeply inset eye-sockets, no eyeballs, only a glowing energy)
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    In the long wagon, there was another of those crazy Adventurer folks.

He sat down against the floor of the the wagon and one of it's wall, meditating deeply in silence.

Others watched the strange Paladin, noticing that he was a mere apprentice of the old ways.

Lorenor had a glow around his body that came naturally. He also gave off a natural peaceful aura, part of his intensive training in The Holy Light. As he sat there, he did not mind the many humbled stares that came his way. He was used to it. His hood covered his bald head as he sat in place thinking of the past. Oft...his mind was on the man that brought him his current chance at life anew. Sei Orlouge. Oft, the Paladin apprentice thought of the mysterious psychic. The leader of the ancient and now defeated Ixian Knights. Lorenor was the last known active member of that old sect, or cult as it would be known in the future.

As he sat there, his mind was a storm of thoughts.

He thought of the current mission that brought him to Salvar in the first place.

I must become a member of the Ethereal Sway. Lorenor thought to himself. In order to practice magic legitimately in Salvar...one needed a very specific license. It was Lorenor's intent to get that license so he could train himself and others further in the secrets of The Holy Light. So at that moment, he was a 'prentice Paladin with no current rank in the old Order. He was practicing a rare form of Holy Magic that he acquired from his state of Reformation with The Ixian Knights.

Knowing that he was one of the last remnants of that old faction bothered Lorenor a great deal.

He wore signet emblems of The Ixian Knights that oft drew odd commentary from the local passersby. Lorenor did not let that much bother him those days. He merely held the scabbard of his weapon close to his heart, for protection. Lorenor had purged the taint of N'Jal during Reformation and became what he currently was. Unsent. As he sat there he considered the current situation. I am what is left of the old Ixian Knights. I must preserve what Sei Orlouge was trying to create... He thought to himself as he sighed deeply.

Nearby, the eyes of several of the other passengers in the long wagon were glancing at the apprentice.

As he sat in silence, he could hear the whispers of the nearby passengers, they were mostly talking about the mysterious 'prentice Paladin.

As the dreaming came to an end...

Lorenor sensed something different about the Firmanent outside. The energy of the countryside of Salvar seemed to morph into the mad and chaotic energy of a large city. Knife's Edge... Lorenor thought to himself as he felt the wagon begin to slow down. The crew that drove the wagon began to slow the horses down as a discussion took place outside. The guards were talking with the wagoneers, there were several wagons present. Lorenor listened intently as he heard the guards talking to the drivers of the wagons. After about ten minutes of discussion, the wagons were allowed to enter Knife's Edge when clearance was made with their proper documentation. The passengers were not bothered since this was the official caravan from other parts of Salvar and other regions of Althanas. Some of the passengers traveled extensively far to vanish in Knife's Edge and townships around Knife's Edge.

A guard approached the wagon and informed everyone that they could leave the wagon...

Lorenor looked at the guard as he stepped out of the wagon.

"You there, daft fellow." The guard spoke to Lorenor as he left the wagon. "I'm guessing you're one of them Adventurer types?"

Lorenor looked up at the guard and lowered his hood. He had glowing blue eyes, and was completely bald. His clothing and attire all bore markings of the Ixian Knights. "I'm merely a 'prentice Paladin." Lorenor said in a deep Radasanth accent. "I've come to seek out a license from The Sway."

"Have we not met before...?" The guard suddenly had a strange expression on his face. "Your eyes have a familiar aspect."

Lorenor shook his head. "This is my first time here...that I'm aware of." Lorenor responded.

"State your name, 'prentice." The guard said suddenly.

Lorenor nodded politely. "The name is Lorenor." He paused for a moment and continued. "Pleased to make your acquaintance, guard."

The guard motioned for several of his fellows to suddenly step forward and talk to Lorenor further. "Your name is the same as his..." The lead guard suddenly said. He turned and whispered a few things to his fellows. "May I see your documentation...?" The guard asked.

Lorenor nodded and complied. He removed a parcel signed by members of The Order, and containing a mark of The Ixian Knights...including the seal of Sei Orlouge. It was documentation and proof of who he was.

"It's him...but he's different now..." One of the other guards, a younger man stated.

"Before I give you clearance...Lorenor...may I ask if you have any other business here at Knife's Edge?" The guard asked.

"Is there some problem with my documents?" Lorenor asked...he was starting to feel a bit nervous. But once again, he complied with the guards. "I wish to conduct business with The Sway once I'm allowed to practice my arts in this great city." Lorenor said calmly, though his nerves were starting to get the better of him.

Another guard walked up to the small group that had assembled in front of Lorenor. He was carrying a document that bore Abbot Hugo's seal. The seal bearer spoke to the assembled guards.

"I see..." The guard said calmly and addressed his fellows. "This man has been summoned by Abbot Hugo." The guard had a serious expression as he handed the document to Lorenor. "Please report to Abbot Hugo at once." The guard could not believe what was occurring.

Was it really the same Lorenor as before? If so that would mean...

And so, Lorenor took Abbot Hugo's document and prepared to walk in the general direction of where The Abbots resided.

Somehow....Lorenor remembered his way there...have I been here before...? Lorenor thought to himself.

The guards were whispering to each other as Lorenor silently walked away.

The situation had grown mysterious indeed.
    Last edited by Mutant_Lorenor; 08-23-16 at 05:39 PM.
    The Alpha and The Omega.
    The Beginning and The End.

EXP: 7,497, Level: 3
    Level completed: 63%, EXP required for next level: 1,503
    Level completed: 63%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,503
    GP

Name
    Ayithe Solete
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light brown and blonde
    Eye Color
    Aqua Blue
    Build
    5'6
    Job
    Fighter

View Profile
    Ayithe hopped off the back of the wagon. The large gates to Knives Edge were nothing special to observe, but the thick concrete walls and tall metal gate was at least adequate for purpose and somewhat intimidating in height.

Ayithe looked outwards from the open gate, the open world before her, like a rope that signified freedom she couldn't yet grasp within her fingers. The long flat plans just ran off until it fazed into a blur of blues and greys formed by the rocky ground and skyline merging together. Then slowly as if to remind her she was promised to this way of life, the large iron gates swung shut with a heavy crunch as they met. There was no way back for her now, she knew that as a certainty, and she had to deal with it as best she could emotionally.

Her lost eyes dropped the floor, the dirty mix of browns that formed the earth at her feet was just that, a piece of earth that carried her to her destination. A destination she was starting to believe was nothing more than a lie. Was she now promised to this Ietus creature for the rest of her life? To be under its law and power until she either died or it lost interest in her particular set of skills? She feared the worse, she feared she had lost her life and that meeting Raslin once again was never going to happen again.

She rubbed her brow as she felt her eyes tense, the emotions welled up within her and that part of her felt weak. She could not survive if she was weak, she had learnt that in the past, but now she wasn't very sure where her life would take her. Was Ietus telling the truth, or was it all a lie?

"Papers please." A male voice commanded from over her shoulder. A large chain mailed guard stood awaiting her reply with pen and paper.

"Oh," she turned a little startled, now distracted from her thoughts of woe. Yet, she held no papers or real answer for this man. Had Ietus' plans fell short already? "I didn't realise I needed papers."

The armed guard rolled his eyes rather irritated and huffed out a big sigh. "All members of staff or the public entering Knives Edge though caravan or otherwise through the Associate Gate, must provide all required documentation upon request."

"That doesn't change anything for me. I still don't have any paper work." She shrugged, confused as to what she could actually do from her situation.

The guard continued in this rant, no longer looking at the scroll he held in front of himself as he recited from memory the line he must have read a thousand times. "All normal members of the public must enter through the appropriate gate. You're on a work caravan, meaning you have work set for you here, or you are an associate of the Ethereal Sway, which in turn means you have the relevant paperwork to enter this area of town."

Ayithe held her silence for a moment, unsure of exactly what else she could express before being kicked out to the other entrance. Surely Ietus has bigger plans than just having her stopped at the gate, unless this was yet another task in itself.

"Wait." He paused himself in thought as he tapped his prominent nose with the quill pen. His eyes inspecting her, not for attraction but at how she was dressed and armed. Her attire, eye catching enough in the midnight black and blood red merge of Darkling skin, had brought him out of his routine set of questions and back to the reality before him. "You a mercenary?"

"Yes," she replied without thinking, but with a little hope that this was exactly what she had been waiting for. "I'm here for the... You know."

"Oh right! " The guards eyes widened in surprise at the realisation before switching his papers round a little clumsily and marking the second one with his pen. "Where's the other one?"

Ayithe almost stuttered she couldn't believe that it had fallen into place as simple as that, however, if Ietus was as powerful as he appeared, then maybe this episode was all about testing her own confidence to see if she could simply just walk in. Nervously she continued to be bold. "I know not of another. I am alone."

"Right. Then my apologies about this situation, after the arrival of that paladin and a couple of others causing trouble my mind was elsewhere. Anyway, please keep this topic to yourself and the others," he gestured to one side and led her away from the caravan. Ayithe glanced at the caravan behind her and noticed the few peasants being spoken to and then the large armoured fellow across the way. The caravan she had arrived on was only one in a train of several - so there was plenty for the guards to be dealing with.

A large somewhat rusted door lay ajar before her as they approached the fortified structure that protruded from the outer wall of Knives Edge.

"We're trying to keep it somewhat quiet until the situation is resolved. Hence why you've been requested so privately." He held the door open and ushered her in, "others are awaiting you."

The dim room was more than shaded from the sunlight, and it took a moment for Ayithe to adjust to the darkness. A small fireplace burned prominently at the head of the room, and a series of wooden chairs sat around a large multihued red rug before the fire. Four shadowed characters sat quietly under the ambience of crackling wood as Ayithe's footsteps approached and her vision adjusted to view who they were.
    Ietus Series

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    He was guided to the location where Abbot Hugo resided.

The entire time, he could have gotten there blind folded and completely on instinct...as if he was there before...

The guard that guided him to Hugo Abbot's locale kept glancing at Lorenor with a strange expression.

The Paladin did not mind the strange looks he was getting from the local citizens.

There were hushed whispers there too...

Once the guard stopped in front of the Meeting Hall where Abbot Hugo currently resided...he looked right at Lorenor.

"You knew my Grandfather." The guard said plainly. "He used to tell stories to me about the mighty Lorenor that met Denebriel. The dark Hero that saved Knife's Edge." The guard continued. "Seek me out when you're done speaking to Abbot Hugo. I would like to have a word or two with you." The guard gave a stiff salute and parted ways with Lorenor.

In front of Lorenor now stood a large structure that was built in Salvarn architectural prowess. He studied the building...but it was much newer than he recalled...or was recalling. I don't know this building, only the general area that it's in...the Abbots and other high level clergy reside around these parts. Lorenor studied the various statues and other noticeable architecture around the gathering hall. The doors opened after a few minutes passed, and Lorenor was greeting by a servant of the Abbots.

"You..." The young man said calmly. "Abbot Hugo has informed me of your arrival. Come this way Sir Lorenor you're to be granted a Hero's Welcome."

Lorenor nodded and walked alongside the young servant. "Abbot Hugo is right this way." The servant did his duties and guided Lorenor to the correct room.

The Paladin merely said nothing and was allowed entry to Abbot Hugo's chambers.

"This way please." Came a deep voice from within the chamber.

The owner of the voice was an older man, someone fitting of the grand title of Abbot.

The man had silver hair and a stern expression on his face.

Lorenor sensed a particular energy in the chamber...one that made him only a little bit nervous.

"Abbot Hugo." Lorenor said calmly.

"Life sure is strange wouldn't you agree?" The Abbot began. He sat at an oak table, Salvarn quality and well polished.

Lorenor's glowing eyes looked at the Abbot for a long time. "I have been here before haven't I?" Lorenor responded.

"Come forth. Lorenor. I want to show you something." The Abbot said calmly and removed a document, an old scroll, from his personal store.

Curious, Lorenor complied and walked up to the grand old desk.

The Abbot unrolled the old scroll and Lorenor was stunned by what he saw. "Is this your signature?" The Abbot asked.

Lorenor felt humbled by what he had just seen...ink signed by his own hands lifetimes ago. "It is." Lorenor did not even hesitate...as a Paladin apprentice he could not lie to a man like the Abbot.

"This document is over five hundred years of age yet here you are standing before me. Just as you were in this very same area, not in this building but in Knife's Edge talking to one of my ancestors." The Abbot smiled. 'It seems you are destined to be here in Salvar. You have come seeking documentation to practice The Arts legally here in Salvar have you not?"

Lorenor nodded. "Among a few other reasons. But that is the main reason I have come."

"Noted." Abbot Hugo said carefully. "Your documents have already been prepared by my ancestors hundreds of years before today. Insofar as I am concerned you already have permission to practice The Arts within our boarders. However there is one thing you must be aware of."

Lorenor frowned a moment but his expression remained otherwise neutral. "What might that be?"

"I have documentation passed down by the eldest in my family. From Father to Son. Father to son across the ages. You were once a Hero fighting in the Demon War of ancient history. You fell then, but that is not what matters." Abbot Hugo stood up and removed a small jewel box from his personal collection and walked over towards Lorenor, handing him the jewel box. "Open it." Abbot Hugo commanded.

Lorenor nodded and instinctively opened the jewel box. His hands moved on their own, memories of a past life guiding him the entire way. Once the puzzle of the jewel box was solved latches opened on their own as the mechanism was worked. Within the jewel box was small signet jewel. It was purple, probably once used by the Lorenor that Abbot Hugo spoke of. "It's an Amethyst..." Lorenor said and removed the odd jewel, remarkably flawless from the jewel box. "This is a perfectly cut gem. How is this possible?"

"My Grandfather gave me very specific instruction as he handed the jewel box down from generation to generation. This item you forged back when you gave your life to protect the world from the forces of Haide." Abbot Hugo continued. "You have now returned to Knife's Edge and I am able to complete the promise my family gave to you so many generations ago." The Abbot stopped right then seeing the expression on Lorenor's face had considerably changed.

"I know whose bloodline you descended from..." Lorenor suddenly said as his mind was flooded with memories of many past lives. Most importantly, upon coming in contact with the perfect Amethyst gem, Lorenor knew the truth. When Lorenor sat on his deathbed it was Abbot Hugo's great ancestors that stood by his side attempting to heal the Hero from the brink of death...but alas...Lorenor fell and fell to Darkness. "Your ancestors stood by my side the entire time...the entire time I died back then..." Lorenor suddenly understood why The Thayne had guided him back to Knife's Edge. "I have a duty to fulfill to you and your family Abbot Hugo."

"No. Lorenor, you owe me nothing. It is I who have a duty to you." Abbot Hugo knelt before Lorenor..."Anything you require...you let me know. I will personally make it happen."

"Rise. Abbot Hugo." Lorenor said calmly. "There is work that needs doing...we must get that work done." Lorenor said calmly. "I am here to stay. I have come to finish the work I started hundreds of years ago..."

"And in turn, I can fulfill the pledge my ancestors made to you." Abbot Hugo said in exchange...

And that's how the two became friends.
    The Alpha and The Omega.

GP

Name
    Ayithe Solete
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light brown and blonde
    Eye Color
    Aqua Blue
    Build
    5'6
    Job
    Fighter

View Profile
    Ayithe felt the intimidating feeling that came with meeting directly with a new group of mercenaries. Not only did she have to complete a task that she knew nothing about, but she would have to do it either in sync or against these other assigned hunters. They sat circled around the rug like a group of rough lords and knights, but they were nothing of the sort - far from it. These men, of which she became the only woman, were armed to the teeth with blatant weapons of various sorts that they displayed clearly on their hips and chair sides for everyone to see.

"A woman..." the first man groaned. "When I looked out da window I was hoping for the armoured paladin looking fella."

"Shame," she hissed with a clear frown, her eyes darting to his body as she attempted to pass back his disapproval. Then there it was, a man armed with a dagger rather than a sword. "I had hoped for a man who at least wielded a sword."

His focus flicked over to her as if in rage, but his bulging cheeks formed a grand smile as he scratched the inch over his surprised raised eyebrow. "Heh, witty. My apologies."

It wasn't the first reaction she expected from him, but at least she knew he was more than just a bull headed buffoon with a knife. This lightened the mood for her having expected no more than a group of brutes and no brains, so maybe there was something a little more from these men than her just expecting the worst.

The smug man to her right was rather tall and dressed in a light attire, knives littered his belt, boot ad forearm. Ayithe never trusted thieves and by appearance she had already decided that he was just that. The other three were a little heavier armoured, the heaviest in plate armour, while two wore large cloaks and carried long swords, the second of the two also bearing a crossbow that rested against his chair leg. Ayithe chose to remain standing.

The door flew open with a windy shunt against the stone wall, a few wisps of crumbled stone chipped to the floor and all eyes fell on the entrant. He stood almost silhouetted from the light, but as it closed the sun's rays lessoned and the solider revealed himself. Stood in a light plated armour which resembled a stripy jumper, it clinked and rattled with each step he took, while the rest of his body remained covered from hip to toe leaving only his goatee and intimidating face to stare across at them.

"Good afternoon, mercenaries. My name is Frankhurt, and I am your guide until you reach the gates of our location. It appears the very last of our anticipated have declared themselves a nonparticipant to this... event." He marched forward, his arms sternly by his side and his eyes inspecting them all constantly with an fierce authority. "This... thing. This shape shifter or changling, which ever you should wish to call it, have infiltrated one of our most important and vital establishments. This is unacceptable and must be contained.

Your number one priority is the high priest, Eckbar Ranceed, he and his entire family are within the estate, along with about thirty guards. Somewhere within the estate, of which you will not be advised, is this... thing. I do not care for it, I do not seek for its capture, only its death. Everyone within the compound is under scrutiny, and the high priest and his family are never to be left alone in a room.

You are here because you are the best of the best, the seekers and con artists, the deceptive and the detectives. You need to flush it out, you need to kill it before it kills the priest."

Ayithe listened to every word, and beside Ietus himself, nothing was more terrifying than a shape shifter. She had faced one before, but she wasn't alone and it took cannon fire, many swords and burning fire to bring the beast to its knees.

"Have you blood tested everyone?" She interjected confidently with her experience. It's blood is a different colour than that of ours."

"Yes, and we struck pretty much every object in the priests room, it's nothing and no one, until it appears and kills another man. He's lucky to be alive, any other questions should be saved for the ride over there. Time is of the essence."

Ayithe almost gasped with surprise, this shifter was taking the form of objects as well as people? It was frightening to think that these things came in different forms with different abilities. The last shifter she battled could only form that of another humanoid, and it's blood was purple instead of red. Were they getting stronger or was this just another type of shifter she was yet to encounter?

Frankhurt re-opened the heavy door, led them outside and directly into yet another smaller but sturdy wagon. A couple of small wooden boxes were quickly pushed into the rear and then Frankhurt hastily ushered them to step into the cleaner, armoured wagon so they could leave on their journey into the centre of Knife's Edge.
    Ietus Series

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Abbot Hugo and Lorenor shook hands.

It was a friendship that would someday become the stuff of legends.

"The object has a familiar aspect to me." Lorenor said carefully. "I'm not entirely certain what it is yet, but I'm certain the answers will come." Lorenor continued. "So where can I begin while we are discussing these matters?"

At that point, a maiden in the employ of the Abbot entered the room and bowed casually. "Abbot Hugo, the incident in question has escalated." The maiden said with a troubled expression on her face. She was wearing a traditional dress, and had braided hair. Her hair color was black. She had traditional Salvarn Hume features.

Lorenor decided that she was pretty.

He turned his attention to Abbot Hugo. "You have an important office my friend, I can take my leave if that will be all?" Lorenor did not know of any incidents currently in the city, he'd only arrived hours earlier.

Abbot Hugo looked at the maiden and nodded. Then he looked at Lorenor. "Nay my friend. There is much to discuss and there is a task that I will require someone of your skill with before we can conduct any further dealings. Seems we have a crisis on our hands." The Abbot said calmly.

Lorenor listened to what The Abbot said, but his eyes went to the maiden...something about her eyes interested him.

They had a peculiar glow about them.

Abbot Hugo looked at the maiden for a moment then spoke. "You speak of the incident in The Ranceed House?" The Abbot asked.

"Yes I do." The maiden responded. "The place is on lock-down and Brother Frankhurt has hired a group of strong mercenaries to kill the target." She handed The Abbot a sealed document. "I was given instruction to deliver this to you."

Abbot Hugo had a troubled expression on his face and gently broke the wax seal. He looked over the documents from The Ranceed House. He studied the three page letter, carefully scribed. "The whole place is on lock-down at the moment." Abbot Hugo sighed. He looked at the maiden for a moment. "Is that all that you have to report on the matter?" He asked.

She nodded curtly. "Yes, Abbot Hugo." She responded.

"You are dismissed then, return to your duties and speak to nobody of this matter." Abbot Hugo then looked at Lorenor as the maiden took her leave. "What do you make of those with different colored blood?" The Abbot suddenly asked.

"Different color, or different texture?" Lorenor knew the fair skinned Elven tribes had varying colored blood from blue to green. Many other species of Althanas also had varying quality of blood. Lorenor frowned, he did not like talking of blood that much...it reminded him of his own black blood. Marking him as a type of Undead.

"Both matters." Abbot Hugo responded. "The researchers in our employ have discovered some aspects of a creature we are facing. It is some sort of a shape shifter, but we do not know the exact quality of it."

"Shape shifters tend to hail from Haide. That's bad business if you think there is one present." Loenor said calmly referring to his knowledge of The Thayne Codex.

"This one might have origins elsewhere and is dreadfully powerful. I don't have all the information, only what our agents have uncovered so far." The Abbot said.

"Origins elsewhere?" Lorenor considered the situation at hand. A creature not bound by The Thayne Codex's rules would present a problem indeed. Lorenor thought about what he'd just learned...but then another thought occurred. "You wish me to join in the assault against this mystery being?" Lorenor suddenly said.

"Consider it a favour from one friend to another." Abbot Hugo said. "My sources indicate that it is after high ranking members of the clergy. The last known indicators place it near a place we effectively call The Ranceed Estate." Abbot Hugo looked off to the side for a moment. "I want you to travel there in the guise of an Agent of The Sway you will have full permissions to pursue this creature." Abbot Hugo said.

"What if it's a Demon that is targeting people in Knife's Edge?" Lorenor had to know, which was why he asked.

"That's why I am sending you." Abbot Hugo responded. "Find the identity of the creature...and destroy it. Do not let it or anybody stop you." Abbot Hugo's expression suddenly became serious. "It's my understanding that it can be anybody...it copies people's appearances." Abbot Hugo said. "It's targeting an official named Eckbar Ranceed. Lorenor, this whatever it is must not be allowed to succeed with whatever it's planning. Do you understand?" Abbot Hugo was becoming very very serious.

Lorenor nodded. "Aye." He considered the situation a bit more. "Where exactly is The Ranceed House?" Lorenor knew parts of Knife's Edge very well...his instincts would guide him. But he did not know every specific location. Knife's Edge was a huge city. Lorenor needed a guide to the location.

"I will give you a document with the proper direction. Further...a group of Mercenaries is already on route. Do not interfere with them, but assist them if they engage." Abbot Hugo said. "One of our Agents hired the outside help."

Lorenor nodded. "Abbot Hugo." Lorenor began. "I am the reinforcements."

And Abbot Hugo smiled knowingly. "I will have a wagon or horse ready for you should you have the need."

"That won't be necessary, I'll walk. It will give me time to practice something I have been meaning to." Besides, Lorenor knew that he would not get tired anyway. "I will need the directions to that place." Lorenor said. The Ranceed House, wonder what secrets I will find there? Lorenor thought to himself.

Abbot Hugo scribbled some information down on a parchment paper. He then handed it to Lorenor. "Lorenor, strike it down at all costs. And Thaynespeed to you." Abbot Hugo said as he handed the document to Lorenor.

"Abbot Hugo, I will see The Sway's will be done." Lorenor said as he gathered the documents and began his journey towards The Ranceed House.
    The Alpha and The Omega.

GP

Name
    Ayithe Solete
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light brown and blonde
    Eye Color
    Aqua Blue
    Build
    5'6
    Job
    Fighter

View Profile
    The jeers and jokes echoed within the metallic wagon as they approached the estate, Ayithe still drew a blank on where she was exactly going, but information seemed lacklustre as they continued to keep things under wraps. She couldn't help but consider the reasons to why they felt the need to hide this. Was something bigger going on here, or were they simply trying to hide anything that made them appear weak to the public.

The bald at the end remained as silent as when Ayithe first arrived in the room, still yet to utter a word in her presence, assuming he had spoken before - surely he wasn't a mute. Then the smug one she had met briefly chatted away with the third, the man armed with a crossbow, as if they were old friends. Yet Ayithe sat in silence.

Silence, that one word had become the most depressing thing in her life and the urge to reach out and make another friend was always growing in her heart. She hated being alone, and at times the pressure of being under Ietus's control and having been wandering on her own for so long was starting to show. Ietus had refreshed her, as she had the most wonderful of sleeps - she didn't feel tired or unfit, there was no injury or aching muscles. She felt as fit as she ever had, but as much as this physical pain had been removed, it was impossible to hide the pain that dwelled within her. These men that now sat beside her were the closest to anyone she was going to get for now, yet she still struggled to initiate any form of discussion by herself.

Fuck you... She cursed her life, for nothing had ever been simple for her and this was just another struggle in a long line of troubles she had passed before.

Finally, after what had felt longer than it actually had been, the wagon jolted to a halt as the horses arrived at their destination and then the doorway opened to let to sun pour into the prison like wagon. She had already felt the heat in the metal frame, to feel it once again touch her skin was like persistent light tickle of a feather. She stepped out first and hopped onto the dry paved floor, the small paved road made specifically for this new establishment as it reached from the large gated entrance and right up to the building.

Ayithe looked around her in awe, the building was a grand difference to that of where she had started, the older military used building and entrance to Knife's Edge could have easily been a completely different place entirely. To her right, the grandest of water fountains, circular and tiered three times with a waterfall pouring outwards from the top and centre and finalised with a statue of a woman carrying an all seeing eye of the Ethereal Sway - she sat upon its lowest ring and ran her fingers through the cold.

Then before them all, the beautifully crafted and almost giant house - a mansion in size. The front door sat under a canopy of church inspired gargoyles up top marbled pillars. Archways were carved over each window and small decorations adorned the walls such as flowers and the occasional Ethereal Sway symbol that matched the fountain.

What is this place?

This walled enclosure was a mighty building to look at, and Ayithe knew full well if she hadn't been for this situation this was a place that would never have had the money or position to visit. There was something eerie about it, albeit pretty, but a symbol of influence that reminded everyone who was in charge here and who had all the wealth to empower it.

"Caw blimey, this place is fancy aye?" The smug faced man never seemed to shut up, commenting on everything - not that he was wrong.

Frankhurt walked up the couple of steps and looked back at them as they admired the view. "This will be our last meeting, so ensure you heed my words. Once you enter here, you cannot leave until either that thing is dead, or you are. There is no other way about it, but it is what you have signed up for, and you pay matches that trouble."

"Aye, get on with it." They all drew their weapons in preparation, accept Ayithe who just steadied her nerves.

"My best advice to you all. Trust no one, and suspect everyone. You only have one another to trust, so if you wander off alone you lose that trust, as it can look like and sound like anyone."

Maybe I should have gotten to know them better before hand...
    Ietus Series

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    (Small bit of bunnying, hope it's okay.)

There. Lorenor thought to himself as he looked at The Ranceed Estate.

The wagon carrying mercenaries arrived just a little bit before he had, and his location was only a bit closer because of Abbot Hugo's locale.

The man called Brother Frankhurt was speaking to the mercenaries as they prepared to enter the likely death sentence...

Lorenor saw that Frankhurt was not going to accompany them.

Carrying the documentation from Abbot Hugo, Lorenor knew that he would be seen as a high-level member of The Sway.

That position granted certain privileges and rights. Lorenor waited until Brother Frankhurt walked away from the group and began to make his way to another street. Lorenor intercepted and made his way to the man's position. Frankhurt paused as he realized he was being followed.

"Think I don't know you're there?" Frankhurt suddenly stopped walking but did not turn to face Lorenor just yet. "I know who you are."

"Abbot Hugo sent me." Lorenor said in response. "I want to know how bad things are in there."

"Why should I trust you?" Frankhurt said. "You didn't follow the official connections to end up in with the hired help."

"Because of this." Lorenor handed Frankhurt a letter. "It is permission from Abbot Hugo." Lorenor said calmly and continued. "Further, I want to see to it personally that the creature is dealt with."

"How much do you know?" Frankhurt asked.

The wind howled mournfully in the streets of Knife's Edge carrying with it the sadness of a generation. Lorenor explained all he knew and suspected he knew from past Haidian kind encounters. He explained how much of a threat the hired help was actually facing, and he explained that the creature's origins had to be discovered. Furthermore, Abbot Hugo had sent Lorenor to exorcise the demon to prevent it from hurting anybody else.

"You think the shifter is a Demon?" Frankhurt looked surprised for a moment. "You are more well informed than you appear."

"I have intricate knowledge of The Thayne Codex." Lorenor explained. "I am also a former member of The Ixian Knights."

"Then you know what's at risk." Frankhurt said calmly. "I must report to Abbot Hugo." Frankhurt continued. "I'll inform him of our meeting, and that you have been granted clearance to enter The Ranceed Estate. But make no mistake, the hired help may react hostile to you."

"Good." Lorenor said calmly. "That means they understand the gravity of the situation." Lorenor bowed towards Brother Frankhurt.

"Lorenor, there's a girl with them." Frankhurt said calmly. "She's rather peculiar and I'm not certain what she is capable of. Make sure you keep an eye on her."

"You're rather paranoid, but I understand. I'll observe carefully." Lorenor continued. "I will present Abbot Hugo's seal if necessary to win their trust." Lorenor bowed once more. "Give Abbot Hugo my regards." Lorenor said and walked back towards The Ranceed Estate. It was a walled mansion and built in the architecture style of the Salvarns after the Demon War of Althanas yesteryear. It was an old house and quite impressive. Lorenor decided he would get his introduction to the mercenaries over with beforehand and prepared to infiltrate The Ranceed Estate shortly after the others went in.

Lorenor caught up to the hired help and introduced himself. "Wait. I am here to help you guys. I am here on Abbot Hugo's behalf." Lorenor said, he was certain at least one of the hired help would recognize him from when the wagons first arrived at Knife's Edge. "You guys are after the same thing I am." Lorenor said calmly, he kept his cool and prepared his mind for the deed that had to be done.
    Last edited by Mutant_Lorenor; 09-12-16 at 03:15 PM.
    The Alpha and The Omega.

GP

Name
    Ayithe Solete
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light brown and blonde
    Eye Color
    Aqua Blue
    Build
    5'6
    Job
    Fighter

View Profile
    The men would greet him eagerly, enthralled by his appearance as a well armoured member of the Ethereal Sway, yet Ayithe as well as the archer of the group, would keep to themselves and speak not. She wasn't as eager to make friends here, in fact she hadn't been up to making friends since she had lost Raslin and been captured by Ietus. Maybe the world was grating on her and she was becoming more selfish and cynical - she wasn't sure but she did notice her desire to remain somewhat secluded from the rest. The archer was probably used to simply being alone on his ventures.

I recognise you... Ayithe knew she had seen him before, but her attention so surprised by her current position had left her unsure of what or where it was. It must have been at the gates, she at least remembered the sarcastic comment by the first of the smug mercenaries she had met. Yeah, it must have been there.

Still it didn't really matter who he was or who had sent him as Ayithe didn't even know who Frankhurt was, they were all foreign strangers to her, and even if she had known Frankhurt she didn't know this city, never mind the building she was about to enter.

The only thing that mattered to her, the only thing that had mattered, was getting the job done - finding this monster and killing it so that Ietus would gift her the reunion she so desperately wanted.

First things first! Ayithe stepped forward as the archer knocked firmly on the door. The bald man awaited patiently as Frankhurt watched from afar, seemingly keeping his distance from the residence entrance. Then, the large engraved door opened with a slow and gradual momentum, the all seeing eye seeming to turn and rotate to unlock the door as if to open into an sacred tomb. Ayithe watched confused to the dramatic locking system that seemed to be in place, and as she watched, it appeared the door was more than just a wooden frame, but an intricate locking system of steel bolts and lock.

A small slim figure appeared from behind the door, a butler of some sort dressed in a plain dark tunic which crumbled on the floor as he bowed in greeting.

"Please step in." He croaked with his old voice, the man clearly of an older generation looked well for his age.

Ayithe couldn't help but notice the two armed guards behind him; sword and shield in hand and dressed in a chain mail armour that looked mean, stained in blood and told everyone entering they meant business. They stared with a clear sign of exhaustion upon them, their statures slightly limp and their weapons lowered, but also with a hint of relief as their expressions relaxed and their furrowed brows flattened.

The guards look tired...

Ayithe peered behind her and past their new armoured associate, Frankhurt and everyone behind her had already drawn their weapons and stared right into the entrance Swords, maces, and bows all aimed right at their backs - this was a one way journey and no one was leaving until this was resolved. She felt the nerves swill around her belly, the awkward feeling that she was being forced to do exactly what she didn't want to. Yet, there was no turning back once she entered here and even speaking up now felt too late.

In slow unison they all entered calmly before the two weary guards and the butler, lining up along the front wall and abreast to one another. The first room was not the mightiest in size, but it was bigger than anything she had ever experienced. Tall marble pillars and decorated roof tiles, the hard stone floor not far from the likes of marble layered in a variety of colours and patterns, and then filled with a series of polished ornaments and furniture that were organised to fit around the two large doorways that left the lobby room. Nothing was short of extravagance.

"Welcome to the Ranceed Residence," the Butler greeted politely as the door seemed to shut with a heavy and conclusive shunt on its own. "This place was designed to keep people out, but as an fortunate grace also manages to keep people in. That is unfortunately the scenario that is applicable to yourselves, and will be until you can sniff out the intruder."

"Yeah, we've been told several times now!" The smug faced brute jibed.

The Butler sniffled and wiped his nose with the oldest and yellow stained of hankies as he stood before the group after a slow and steady limped walk. "My apologies sir, but this isn't some blasé hack and slash tournament that you've come to. This is quite serious. Heed my words and then head to task; you are answerable only to myself and the High Priest Ranceed himself, though you would be wise to listen to his wife or daughter. You are given power and permission to enter the entirety of this establishment and question anyone you see fit, but I highly suggest you do not embark on any missions alone, as trust within these walls is now your most valuable asset. So please, use whatever methods you deem necessary. Good luck."

Ayithe felt the energy in the room sink as low as it could, this was easily the safest moment they would all experience, to be in this room with a group of people who she knew definitely were not the creature. She probably wouldn't have that certainty again, though this Butler and the guards were questionable from the start, surely the Shape-shifter was smarter than that. Turning the look out the only window to the outside from the lobby, she could see the silhouettes of Frankhurt and the others through the blur of coloured stained glass. How long would it be before she could witness the outside once again?

I guess this is where it all starts. She sighed as the first mercenary and most vocal since she arrived spoke up once more.

"Alright. my names, Vale Ravenstone. I'm formally an investigator, my expertise lays with knives and torture. I suggest I lead this and you all fall in line. So, to start, lets head into the main room and speak to the owner then we could split into teams and get this hunt started."

He waited patiently for a response from the quiet group, his podgy cheeks grinning proudly hoping there were no challengers.
    Ietus Series

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Ravenstone...had I not heard that name someplace before?

A memory flashed back to Lorenor's past, he recalled a time when he was just another servant of N'Jal. Locked in a battle between the light and the dark. Lorenor recalled a fellow by the name of Jake Ravenstone...maybe one of Vale's relatives. Lorenor looked at Vale for a moment and walked towards him. "Were you ever close to a man named Jake Ravenstone?" Lorenor had to know, that memory compelled him and the truth could become a liability.

Vale looked at the man with the glowing eyes. "Jake...Jake was my Father. How do you know about him?"

Lorenor shook his head. "It's not important now." Lorenor said. "But I want you to know that Jake was one of the bravest men I ever knew." He was lying a bit of course, but he could not tell this man that his Father was a servant of N'Jal.

Vale rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "You knew my Father..." Then he looked at Lorenor, with a very serious expression. "I'd like to have a word with you about my Father if we all make it out of this alive." Vale said calmly.

"Understood." Lorenor responded.

One of the other Adventurers walked over towards Lorenor. "Them marks you wear, you're Ixian?" Another adventurer asked.

"At one point in my life I was." Lorenor said. "But that was a long time ago."

"I had a grandfather who was Ixian." The man said in response. He nodded. "You're a good lad, kid. I can tell right away. Vale, if we're gonna do something about the shifter we should all work together on this matter and compare our notes first."

Vale looked at his companions, but he looked for a moment at the daft Archer bloke, and then Ayithe, their female companion. "Ixian, what have you been told about our target?"

Lorenor closed his glowing eyes for a moment, a shadow fell across his face. "I've been told there's a real possibility that our target may have Haide origins." Lorenor began. "It is only right for you all to know. Abbot Hugo informed me of the characteristics of the beast, and it is a very dangerous. It is better if we all stick together, instead of splitting into small teams. That's the only way to be certain." Lorenor instinctively could sense Evil. But that was one of his own secrets that he did not need to reveal until they had discovered the creature itself. The Light would guide him. Lorenor looked at all of his companions. "We should all stick together since that is the only way we can be certain that none of us have been caught by the creature's power." Lorenor said. It was a dark deed that they were about to embark upon.

Lorenor looked at Vale, the man was bloodthirsty but very, very intelligent.

"Agreed. We all stick together." Vale continued. "Ixian, do you mind if I take point? I'm more comfortable up front anyway." Vale said casually.

Lorenor thought about the proposition. The other Adventurers were keeping to themselves for the most part. Lorenor looked at Vale for a moment. "Vale hold your advance one moment." Lorenor said calmly. "We should speak with the present guards first." Lorenor proceeded without waiting for permission from Vale or any of the other gathered, he wanted to be absolutely certain. "You there, Guard." Lorenor began. "Do you remember the last time you slept?"

One of the guards in the main hall of the estate blinked and looked up at Lorenor. "Are ye serious man, are you daft?" The guard asked.

"You realize that everyone is under scrutiny at the moment?" Lorenor asked.

Vale understood where Lorenor was getting at and walked so he stood next to him. "Answer the question." Vale said, perhaps a bit more harshly than he meant to.

The guard sighed. "It's been a week since the last time many of us have slept. It likes to target people when they are at their most vulnerable."

"Has the estate been thoroughly searched.?" Lorenor asked.

"Thrice over." The guard shook his head. "Each time we find nothing, but I am merely a guard. We do as we're told." The guard said.

Lorenor rubbed his chin thoughtfully, trying to come up with a plan of some sort. "This might present an opportunity." The Ixian looked at the guard very very carefully. "Your name, lad."

"Robert. Robert Daenth." The Guard said calmly. He was really showing signs of fatigue but his loyalty to the masters of the estate was admirable.

"Make sure no one enters in behind us." Lorenor said. "Everyone's a suspect now. If you can keep our backs observed for as long as possible, I would be thankful." Lorenor looked at the gathered. "All right let's start the investigation. Nobody moves away...everybody stays close. If we can all stick with each other, there shouldn't be any problems getting through this." Lorenor said. He allowed Vale to take command of the group at that point.

"All right everyone. Let's be on our way then and proceed to gather information and clues." Vale took point and they started to mobilize.

The same adventurer from earlier walked next to Lorenor and looked at him with a friendly smile. "Aye, you knew Sei Orlouge?"

Lorenor nodded. "I knew him quite well, yes."

"Fella was a legend. Nice to see some of the old guard in this team. Feel safer already." The man said calmly.

"As long as we all stick together and follow the plan we should all be okay." Lorenor said carefully and began to walk with Vale and the others. Lorenor was thoughtful and began to concentrate in an attempt to locate the source of whatever demonic taint was present. If the target was indeed Evil or Demonic, Lorenor would know and would throw himself at it...
    Last edited by Mutant_Lorenor; 09-14-16 at 12:53 PM.
    The Alpha and The Omega.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast