Light brown and blonde
    Eye Color
    Aqua Blue
    Build
    5'6
    Job
    Fighter

View Profile
    It was a good thing, if not a little frustrating that some of the others were getting on, yet Ayithe as well as the archer had kept to themselves. The men could make friends and decide who was really in charge as much as they liked but it didn't change the fact that order and leadership had already failed to discover this creature.

Not that I really know what my own plan is... If its blood is really not showing, then how on earth do I reveal it? The thought plagued her like an insanity, and right now there was no clear answer.

Vale led the group to the end of the corridor which opened up into a large hall at the rear of the building. Designed with tall slim windows that reach up into the arching ceiling to let in sunlight, a mighty fireplace burned at the far rear of the room, and sat before it, the family and guards. The vast but single room had this ony one entrance, so it seemed to make sense to take safety upon such a room.

Wow, impressive... Ayithe looked around as they all slowed upon entry, no door at the entrance from the corridor, a perfect defensive position, or a back against the wall last stand.

Their foots echoed into the hall as they wandered towards the priest who sat in his red velvet chair. Yet he stood upon their approach and the Butler bowed his head in acknowledgment.

"Halt! Stop right there." The Priest held up his hand flat as his guards stood close to him. "You are close enough, be it in a new group I see, but I am free from taking unnecessary risks."

Vale stepped forward and bowed confidently. "Do not worry, Sir! I respect this boundary you have put up and this will all be over before you know it."

"Yes," he replied holding little hope with the new assignees. "I do hope you impress upon me with this, as one will be significantly compensated."

"Yes, yes. No offense Sir, but we have had this explained thoroughly."

Thoroughly insulted by Vale's impatience and ignorance to respect of his position he scowled with a clear furrowed brow, but he had to accept that these new mercenaries had a fair amount of power in this situation. Begrudgingly he smiled back and accepted this minor inconvenience. "May the power of the Ethereal Sway guide you to your purpose."

Ayithe couldn't help but notice the underlying hatred the priest held of them and their arrival. His hand waved them away with a disgust of them and their attitude. Unfortunately, Vale's rash reply and cocky stance didn't help, but then again, everyone but the bald and armoured new comer had near enough the same stance. It often came with the territory of being who they were, and Ayithe knew in herself she often did the same. She straightened herself up, standing level and straight rather than her usual lean onto the right hip.

The group circled up, sceptical eyebrows raised and ears open to the idea of the first plan of the day.

"Any ideas on how to locate this thing? We could group it and rattle some heads I reckon." Vale shouted his idea quickly before any other suggestions.

"I agree. Separating ourselves would be stupid." The second, punching his own hand in agreement, nodded and looked at the rest. "I guess we all agree?"

"No." Ayithe broke the agreement immediately. "You're all doing exactly what everyone else has done and then failed at. This thing has no real known weakness or display that reveals itself, and we don't even know how many people it has killed to get here. It's patient, it's not taking any risks and we know that much because the priest is still here and no one has left this building since its discovery." The seemed to fall a little silent as she expressed her different opinion, she clearly had a different method of thinking, but she at least had their attention.

"Aye, and what plan would you suggest?" The archer spoke for the first time, seemingly impressed with her own deduction.

"Go on," Vale listened with a pedantic look.

Ayithe continued, "I think we do spilt into groups and draw the bastard into making a move. It won't take a risk against a full group, so let's go into smaller groups and just see how patient it really is."
    Ietus Series
    Part 1: - Tirel
    Part 2: - The Dark Tower
    Part 3: -
    Part 4: -
    Part 5: -

EXP: 5,976, Level: 3
    Level completed: 25%, EXP required for next level: 3,024
    Level completed: 25%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,024
    GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Blue (Deeply inset eye-sockets, no eyeballs, only a glowing energy)
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    In his possession, Lorenor held an item given to him by Abbot Hugo.

He listened to Ayithe's plea, and when the Archer spoke it barely registered. He noticed that the members of The Ranceed Estate were already in a heightened state of emotion. The "priest" was not in Abbot Hugo's group....that much Lorenor could tell by the marks on the man's robes. He was a member of the sway, but not directly linked to Abbot Hugo. Lorenor looked at Vale for a moment, then Ayithe. She is interesting...but it is too dangerous to split apart especially so early in the story. Lorenor gestured with his hand. Then spoke to everyone present. He had natural leadership skills, and would use his skill set to it's fullest capacity.

"Everyone let's just calm down a moment. There's no need for any of us to wander off." Lorenor was gonna keep his power a secret up until they discovered the current mask that the creature wore. It could be anybody...but Lorenor was certain nobody in the room currently wore the monster's identity. However, the Priest held a different type of evil in his heart. Lorenor stared a the Priest for a long moment, trying to ascertain how much of a threat the man really was. Then, he looked towards Vale. "Vale, cover the door for me, I would a word with the Priest." Lorenor did not take kindly to the Priest using false pretenses disguised as Sway greetings and sayings. Lorenor walked right up to the Priest and the eyes of the Ranceed family nervously watched the Paladin.

"You weren't in the wagon on the way to this location." The Priest suddenly said.

"No." Lorenor revealed calmly. 'Had to get permission from Brother Frankhurt to join in the assault."

Beads of sweat trickled down the Priest's forehead. "Who are you?" The Priest asked, and suddenly moved his hand to touch the side of Lorenor's skull. "Show me who you are!"

Lorenor did not resist when the Priest attempted to enter his mind. Instead, he opened his mind to the last few hours, and days of his life to him. Flashes, images, past present and history.

"Impossible..." The Priest suddenly said as reality returned to normal for him and he was no longer in Lorenor's mind. "Abbot Hugo knew of your existence...this is treason!" The Priest suddenly yelled.

"Calm yourself man, there are children present." Lorenor said angrily. He'd revealed the truth to the Priest hoping to obtain a little more information from him about the gravity of their situation.

"Do you know who you are talking to?!" The Priest said with growing rage. "I don't care who you think you are but you cannot fool me." The Priest shook his head for a few seconds. [b]"What you have shown me...I don't want it in my head anymore...TAKE IT BACK!!!"{/b]

"You are the one who took without asking." Lorenor said plainly. If the effects of the mind union held any negative effect on him, Lorenor did not reveal it. He kept a stoic expression reminded of the times he used to interact with Sei Orlouge. "But in peering into your mind I have determined one thing. The creature is still on the estate property. It's fashion of killing is getting bolder." Lorenor pulled away from the Priest and addressed his companions. "I may have a way to find our target." Lorenor looked at Ayithe and smiled at her with a soft smile. He then looked at the rest of his companions, finally returning his gaze back to Vale. "But we must prevent it from harming anybody else if that can be helped." Lorenor nodded in agreement. "We split into small teams and make sure that we can get the son of a bitch responsible for all this."

The Priest was staring at Lorenor. "You were present for The Demon War. How could that possibly be?"

Lorenor paused and then turned towards the Priest to confront him. "Yet here I am before you. You tell me, you're the one who has Faith." Lorenor said with perhaps a bit more harshness than he initially meant to.

The Priest suddenly stared at Lorenor with hateful eyes. "I swear by my family's honour. That Abbot Hugo will pay dearly for his loyalty to you." He continued. "Once you get this job done, I want you gone from this place...do you hear me!?"

Lorenor sighed at that point. "I am not deaf, I hear you." Lorenor would remember the Priest before him. "If you place Abbot Hugo in any danger...I will see to it that you pay for it." There was an acid edge in Lorenor's voice at that point. He then turned to face Vale and his friends. "Let's decide on who goes in what teams." Lorenor said calmly attempting to calm himself down for the sake of his new friends.
    The Alpha and The Omega.
    The Beginning and The End.

EXP: 7,497, Level: 3
    Level completed: 63%, EXP required for next level: 1,503
    Level completed: 63%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,503
    GP

Name
    Ayithe Solete
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light brown and blonde
    Eye Color
    Aqua Blue
    Build
    5'6
    Job
    Fighter

View Profile
    What the hell is this guy on? Ayithe didn't really get what this guy was doing - refusing to agree with her then coming back and repeating exactly what she wanted to do in the first place. This seemed like a power play, to try put himself in a place of importance. She didn't care if the others fell for it, she wasn't going too and all it managed to do was irritate her.

"Great," she started in a deep condescending tone. "Your dazzling intellect is astounding us all." She looked directly at him, his smug smile reminded her of Vale, and how they seemed exactly one in the same; smug, confident and arrogant in assuming they were the top dog. "How about myself and..."

"Faren," the archer replied to her acknowledging glance.

"... Faren go one way, and you three go the other. Besides which, I noticed two corridors going left and only the one going right. We'll take the right."

"Agreed, I saw the same. We can loop around once we've checked our side." Faren prepared his crossbow, standing on the end and loading the string behind his deadly bolt.

Ayithe rolled her eyes at the three and walked off with Faren close in tow. Causing friction between the group wasn't exactly the best idea, but Vale seemed irritated too, he just didn't have the inner will to argue with a man who seemed to have some earlier family connection to him. Still, they had all agreed on these tactics and now it was simply down to luring out the creature.

Faren paused by the corridor entrance, "just remember to holla if you're under duress."

Ayithe hardly paused in her walk, but as long as she could hear Faren behind her on the marble and stone floors she didn't feel the desire to turn round and check on him. He had looked a little older than the others before, but instead he had now come across a little more level headed to her and she felt better with him than anyone else at this moment in time.

Ayithe gripped the disk blades that rested on her hips, her primary offensive weapon, and wandered with a slow somewhat cautious walk. Her hips naturally swayed slightly from side to side as she walked, but only a fool would believe she was more for the eyes than she was a fighter. Doors adorned both walls, some open, some shut, but they were all suspicious and the more she looked the harder this task felt. Where exactly do I start? She peered into room after room, some big some small, but they all displayed a certain top degree of wealth and riches. She stepped into another room, only a dim light, washing basins and running water clear in the small room. Three guards appearing rather casual at first as they leaned against the wall and sat down to rest, then straightened up as the two approached. It was an odd feeling to consider armed men less of a threat than that of an empty room or open corridor - but she wasn't about to start striking all of the objects in the room just in case.

Faren held his crossbow up high in suspicion, while Ayithe, keeping her hand on her hips remained that little bit calmer.

"Mercenaries," one grouched as he returned to his seat.

"Why you guys stood here of places?" Faren asked over her shoulder. Though the room itself was clearly a wash room, why three men randomly stood there of all places seemed a little odd.

"One of you guys having a shit?" She just blurted out crudely.

The first of the tired guards managed to muster a smirk. "Nah, Priest Ranceed's son is. So we're watching and waiting."

Ayithe peered ever so slightly to their right and two stick thin twiddling legs of a child kicked out from behind the wall. Though a little lazy, they were telling the truth and were certainly close enough to take care of the kid, albeit he appeared just out of direct line of sight. She felt the urge to question them, but exactly what to ask was bothering her, they could just lie or not even know the answer and be nothing more than ignorant, and she would be none the wiser to the situation at hand.

"I guess tough times is an understatement?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

The tired looking men could well be too exhausted to defend themselves, never mind the kid, so maybe it was as simple as the fact that the creature did not require the kid at all. That could only be a good thing, no child needed to die as well.

The guard slumped and huffed, he looked rough, unshaven and sweaty, his armour a little lopsided after he had adjusted it from being uncomfortable, while his red tunic underneath seemed worn and over used. I don't think the boys a target, I'm sure of it.
    Ietus Series

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Anybody else would have been pissed off or at least fuming at that point.

Not Lorenor...he was upset at the earlier altercation with the Ranceed Priest. Little by little, the puzzle was coming together. The girl walked off with the archer...Lorenor narrowed his eyes for a moment when the decision was made in such an abrupt matter.

"Not a friendly lot, I'd wager." Vale said calmly. Trying to ascertain the situation at hand.

"Can you blame them?" The second mercenary said calmly. "People's tensions are high due to lack of sleep, and what not. I'd be pretty pissed off too." Vale and the other mercenary were speaking to one another in a quiet manner trying to calm the tensions they felt.

Lorenor, however did not attempt to ward off his own fears.

Abbot Hugo...what have you done...? Lorenor knew there would be those who questioned Abbot Hugo's allegiance to him. But, that was not the problem...the problem was that there was a creature on the loose. It was extremely dangerous. Lorenor stood a few paces behind Vale and his companion, he was listening, concentrating. His body had a slight glow around it. He'd already been given permission to practice The Arts in Knife's Edge and in Salvar in general. As he concentrated something happened.

The gem in his possession began to glow.

Lorenor wrapped his hand around the item for a long moment. A perfectly cut Amethyst gem huh? Lorenor looked at the gem, peering at it's surface. The glow attracted Vale's attention and the man walked towards Lorenor.

"Hey that's a neat trick. How did you get that thing?" Vale asked.

The second man was not as daft as Vale was, and he realized what he was staring at. "The gem is flawlessly cut..." The man shook his head. "You're full of surprises Ixian," The man said and felt calmed down as the light filled the hallway with warmth.

"The Light will show us the way." Lorenor said carefully. He then looked right at the gem, with a very serious expression on his face. Lorenor's body glowed with a tremendous energy at that point. The light very warm and calming. "I think I have a way to track our mark." Lorenor held the gem in his hand, his body glowing brilliant as he took point of the team. "It's a technique Sei Orlouge taught me, long ago." Lorenor said.

Vale nodded and realized he had not felt that good in a long time...

Despite his serious demeanor...Vale was a good man.

"Let's begin our search in earnest." Lorenor said carefully.

Then he started walking forward, opposite the way Ayithe and the archer went. A part of him considered the situation at hand...his own connection to Abbot Hugo was probably a mysterious matter to them. They don't trust me and that's fine. It's this damned mystery that we have to solve. Lorenor concentrated, keeping his energy levels up as they walked slowly across the hallway. He peered into every room trying to find the culprit responsible for the Ranceed Estate's current plight. "Everyone keep together, I'll try to lure it out in the open." Lorenor said carefully. He was hoping his trick would reveal the identity of his enemy.
    The Alpha and The Omega.

GP

Name
    Ayithe Solete
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light brown and blonde
    Eye Color
    Aqua Blue
    Build
    5'6
    Job
    Fighter

View Profile
    The room itself seemed locked down, apart from the vent that led into the toilets, but Ayithe didn't know enough to know if it could really fit through there. It was these small fears, these small doubts that made her and everyone else paranoid. That only increased the danger in this deceiving place.

Ayithe and Faren wandered away and paused by the door, she hadn't really questioned anyone, neither had Faren and the same question seemed to return to haunt them. What exactly can we do Even if they had special honours to do what they were doing, the guards hated them, the family hated them and Lorenor's presence apparently didn't make things any easier.

Ayithe sighed and leant back against the wall, and just as Faren was about to talk, she huhed him by raising her hand to his mouth. Her eyes flicked towards the door as she tapped her ear to ask him to listen. Faren complied.

"You finished, boy?" The moaning voice of the first guard sounded.

The young boy, his voice a little high pitched sounded more like a screech and neither of them made out exactly what he said. A little distressed but commanding, the tired guards didn't sound too impressed but it gave thought to Ayithe that maybe one of them was the Shifter and trying to cause a stir.

"This is beyond our pay grade anyway," he continued. "We could muffle you and blame the Shifter."

Faron's brow furrowed, and his intense eyes stared back at Ayithe. He didn't need to explain his next actions as they stormed back into the room.

"STAND BACK!" Faren roared, holding his crossbow in their faces with his finger ready over the trigger.

"What the bloody 'ell are you doing!" The guard shouted back.

"We heard you, what kind of guard says that?" Faron retorted as serious as he could.
    "A tired one. Even if we were really going to do it, you couldn't stop us. So clear off!" He gripped the hilt of his sword in a threatening manner, staring back fearlessly into the sight of the crossbow.

Ayithe watched carefully, each of the three guards placing their hands in a ready position for battle, this was the clear sign that these men and this situation was going to cause serious trouble with those sent to resolve the problem at hand. Still, Faren was right, and these men had made some nasty suggestions.

Faren didn't back down. "I think you lot should submit to some questioning before we leave."

"I think you should kiss my ass, Mr Mercenary!"

The frightening shunt and twang of the crossbow sounded, the bolt quickly lodging itself into the forehead of the argumentative guard before them. It wasn't clear to Ayithe if Faren had done it on purpose, or if by mistake, but as all their eyes fell upon the murdered guard as he fell backwards - they all knew what they were about to do. Swords released from their scabbards and an almighty roar echoed with a roar around the room, one rushed into Faren as he tried to reload while the second charged directly at Ayithe.

Ayithe stepped back, releasing his wrist blades while she dropped into the next room before the corridor as he lunched at her, his sword swinging across her front, she dodged.

Then a high swing, lunging for a kill strike as she almost stumbled into the wall, but she dodged.

Then a third time, bringing the momentum of his swing down only to meet the forceful block of her own blade, which sounded with a mighty clang.

She pushed back, stepping into his step, and sliced up into arm, her blade just nicking above the elbow but missing out on serious damage. He cried out as his sword fell from his hand and he pushed back, thrusting his other elbow into her face with a heavy thud. His weight was enough to push her back as she slammed into the wall behind her, and then grabbing her wrists in an attempt to out muscle her and stop her use of the wrist blades. While she was pinned against the wall, the strength of this large man a warning to why being trained in close combat was important.

His fingers fumbled around her wrist as she kicked at him, but his weight pinned her forcefully against her will. Then, with a bit of persistence he found the small lever which returned the blade back into the wrist guard.

He smiled as he felt himself besting her, then reached to her other arm, this time having less luck then his first attempt. She found her opening as he shifted to her other wrist and she kneed him hard, first in the thigh and then again hard into the same spot, he didn't want to more, but it gave enough room for her to adjust and then kick him harder than ever before. She reached around him as he leaned into her again to block her legs, and gripped her free hand into his jaw and tugged forcefully at his lips.

The excruciating pain forced him back as she pulled him off her as he twirled back like a ballerina. He roared in pain as her nails sliced into his mouth and as he winced in pain she booted him with all of his might in the gut. He dropped to his knees and she slammed him again with a powerful kick to the face - her boot slapping into his jaw and spraying a bloody mouth along the floor. He dropped flat for a moment.

"We're not here to kill everyone!" She pleaded to him and returned her wrist blade. "Stop this."

He stuttered on the floor, taking a moment gather himself and return his gaze to normal. "Okay..." he muttered as his mouth drooled with blood.

Ayithe rubbed her cheek, they blow hurt and had she been of a lesser strength it may have knocked her out. The clashing in the other room continued, fighting men who were brawling for their life and wouldn't stop without some serious intervention.

Suddenly, Ayithe was gripped from behind, the returning guard trying to choke her as he wrapped his arms around her neck. Surprised and confused Ayithe tried pushing backwards, leaning and elbowing as they stumbled backwards and into the doorway and then even further into the hallway. The empty hallway echoed out in a crash as they fell backwards, the man's arms not quite choking her as she blocked with her right hand. Finally, she pulled at her wrist guard and released her blade once more, the murderous hands still trying to choke her, she drove the blade into his thigh.

He roared out in pain and let her go, leaving her to sit up and pound him in the face with frustration, again and again as she smashed her fist into his face. He had betrayed her after she showed him leniency and she would make him pay for it.

Ayithe stood up, standing over his bruised and bloody face and gaping thigh wound, she stared down at him angrily. He was scum and she knew it, this coward of a man had learnt a lesson before her and she wouldn't trust him again. Even his tunic and chainmail stained with blood as his leg poured, he wouldn't last too long without this being seen by medical - something she wasn't even sure existed within this building.

"SHIFTER!" He cried raising his hand to point at her.

"Fuck you, you cowardice bastard!" He knocked his hand away in frustration.

"Don't move!" Faren called out, and while a small relief fell over Ayithe it suddenly became clear that his loaded crossbow was not watching him, but her.

"What are you doing? We just got into this fight together!" She felt her heart jump with fear to his glaring eyes.

"I lost sight of you... both of you." He explained, but didn't seem so sure of anything.

"We can't afford to go this crazy... Don't listen to his idiot!"
    Ietus Series

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Meanwhile...

The glowing Paladin and his companions made their way further away from Ayithe and Faren.

They stopped into each room and questioned the occupants of the room if there were any...but for the most part this wing of the large house was empty.

Lorenor pondered if they had to search the entire large estate...the thought seemed rather daunting.

"No clues mate, nothing." One of Lorenor's companions said.

Vale nodded. "How about you, Ixian. Having any luck so far?"

Lorenor paused moving and listened to what the amethyst gem was telling him with assistance from the light. "Nothing yet. I am certain the thing is here. I just don't know where."

Suddenly, they heard a scream from further down the hall.

Without thinking on it...Lorenor and his companions ran down the hallway attempting to ascertain what was the matter.

"Shit!" Vale screamed as he was clearly frustrated by the caper.

Up ahead was a maid of The Ranceed Estate. Lorenor was not familiar with her and walked carefully towards her. "Thank the Thaynehood! Help, I found a body here." Lorenor looked at his companions and they nodded. Can't let this become an inquisition. Lorenor became aware that was likely what the shifter wanted. Lorenor looked at his companions. "Vale, stay with the maid." Lorenor was certain that the maid hadn't directly caused the horrifying scene he walked into. There were several bodies completely torn open in an other world fashion. Lorenor sighed, but he concentrated as he attempted to ascertain the truth. "it just happened." Lorenor shook his head. "Right under our damned noses." Lorenor looked about the room and studied the gem in his possession for clues. The bodies were horribly torn open. "It was here." Lorenor said calmly as he could.

"Ixian, are you all right?" The second mercenary asked.

Lorenor shook his head in the negative. "This style of killing. I've seen it before..." Lorenor recalled Abbot Hugo's words. It might be a Demon... Lorenor knelt down and closed the eyes of one of the victims. All of the faces were etched with complete and utter fear.

"They will need to be buried once we are certain." Lorenor took the gem and passed it before the blood of the workers. There was normal blood present, but something else had happened. In one part of the room there was a section of blood that changed color when exposed to the light. "It was here." Lorenor said again.

Lorenor knew the thing had to be close by but he could not know for certain. He looked at his friend. "Get the girl to safety..." Lorenor began.

There was another scream from the hallway. "Stop!" Was yelled by the female maid.

Lorenor and his friend ran outside to see Vale holding his preferred weapon pointed right at the girl. "There's no way of knowing...!" Vale suddenly said.

"Vale, stop and think." Lorenor looked at the girl. "She's not the shifter...there's no way it could be this easy."

"We can't trust anybody, Ixian. She was the first one to find this mess." Vale suddenly accused.

"I didn't do this!" The poor maid had a terrified look in her eyes.

Lorenor looked at Vale.

Then, from further down the hallway there were loud boots coming. "Shit man, more guards are on the way."

As if on cue, the Ranceed Priest and several guards arrived on scene and looked at Vale and the maid.

"See, what did I tell you!?" The Priest said angrily and in an accusatory tone.

Lorenor's eyes narrowed. "Vale, it wants to turn us against each other. Listen to me. We don't know who the shifter is."

"The guy who put us all on this nightmare job knew what he was doing. He knew we wouldn't trust each other. And worst yet, the Ranceed lot don't trust us anyway. So what's the problem. We do this bitch right here, and that covers our alibi." Vale said angrily, he was loosing his patience and his main blade was waving around nervously.

One of the guards walked towards the maid and Vale. "What has happened here?" The guard asked and looked past Lorenor and into the room. "By The Thayne, that style of killing...!" The guard disregarded all form of reasoning and logic and looked right at Lorenor.

"He's the shifter!" The Ranceed priest suddenly yelled.

Lorenor was about to try to calm everybody down when there the maid yelled a death shriek. He stared in a horrified sort of way as Vale killed the maid by slicing her throat wide open. She clutched at her neck for a moment in shock and died a few moments later, bleeding out. Lorenor looked at Vale with a shocked expression on his face. Everybody gathered suddenly turned their weapons on Lorenor, even those he considered friend.

The Ranceed Priest halted them by raising his hand and walked towards Lorewnor with a cold expression on his face. "You showed me something, Lorenor. Because of that I have to thank you. You have showed me that we can beat this son of a bitch and it doesn't matter who we accuse of being the shifter at all."

Lorenor shook his head as he looked at the Priest. "You're a member of the Sway." Lorenor said. "Why would you do this?"

The Ranceed Priest continued. "In the guise of an estate plagued by a mysterious killer...I could take advantage and destroy my enemies. You represent Abbot Hugo. How easy it was to lure him out in the open."

Lorenor frowned deeply. "We can still salvage this situation and come out together as Brothers in the Light." Lorenor was attempting to plead with the mad priest.

"What for? After this I'll have full control over The Ranceed Estate." The Priest smiled. "Any potential survivors of this incident will be killed by The Shifter, and sadly, I will become sole heir."

"No." Lorenor said. The Ranceed Priest looked at the gathered guards, Vale, and his companions.

"You will all be pardoned if you kill this Demon before us in the name of The Sway." The Ranceed Priest said.

However Lorenor was quicker. He suddenly reached out and punched The Priest in the face. Vale reacted but it was already too late. Lorenor had drawn his sword and placed it at the neck of the Ranceed Priest. Lorenor had previously placed his perfectly cut gem back in his packs. He drew his large sword in a quick movement. He held The Ranceed Priest in his possession, holding the man tightly.

"What do you think you're going to do!?" The Priest asked.

Vale looked at Lorenor coldly. "Guards, stop the shifter!"

Two of the present guards walked towards Lorenor and The Priest. "Not a STEP closer!" Lorenor stepped backwards into the room and prepared to make his way towards the single balcony.

"You're finished, Demon. Let The Priest go." One of the guards said in a gruff voice.

"How do I know one of YOU GUYS aren't the shifter?" Lorenor decided to fuck with their heads as easily as they were messing with his. Forgive me... Lorenor thought to himself. The balcony doors were open and a late night breeze entered the room mournfully. "I know you guys won't believe me, but I ain't the shifter. I can prove my identity whereas you guys can't. So I'm not safe with you guys any of you guys any longer." Lorenor knew. This is what the shifter wants. Once on the balcony portion of the house, Lorenor suddenly kicked The Priest forward, so he landed against the guards. Gathering his sword, and himself, he jumped off the balcony and prepared to try to meet back with Ayithe and Faren. He would stop anybody who got in his way at that point as he ran. Nobody in The Ranceed Estate was safe. He landed on The Estate grounds and there was shouting and yelling behind him. He ran the opposite way he walked to get to that point of the house, and searched for a room he could crash into. An empty room, he wanted to be certain there was no other members of The Ranceed Estate there. That Thayne Forsaken Priest. I'm gonna make the bastard pay, AFTER the shifter is dead. Lorenor was focusing as he ran. He knew he was on his own at that point and would have to come up with a back up plan once the identity of The Shifter was revealed.

He found a suitably empty room in the house, and jumped through the elegant window. The loud crash was a startling sound, but it could not be helped. He just needed time to get to somewhere safe in the house. There was a lot of shouting and yelling from a lot of different direction as The Estate itself seemed in an uproar. I cannot fail in this mission. Lorenor thought to himself. He ran through the hallways and made his way to the lower section of the building...he had to wait things out for a little bit so he could catch his breath. He simply ran to the basement without thinking about it another moment.
    The Alpha and The Omega.

GP

Name
    Ayithe Solete
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light brown and blonde
    Eye Color
    Aqua Blue
    Build
    5'6
    Job
    Fighter

View Profile
    "Come on," Ayithe pleaded to Faren. "By that logic I could accuse you of being the shifter..."

Faren paused as a bead of sweat ran down his forehead, he seemed over concerned about this, and Ayithe was afraid to make any sudden movements as she still recovered from her fight with some heavy breathing.

Faren's eyes shifted back to the bathroom door and then to her. "This situation is illogical... We've entered a building where people are giving up right beside us, thinking of extreme ideas to help set them free. How are we supposed to deal with this exactly?"

He appeared to be breaking under the stress, and hardly anything had happened. Sure threatening the kids life seemed ridicules, and there fight moments ago was rather dramatic considering the situation, but it was quickly becoming an intolerable situation. This place had already cracked, these people were already dead and now Ayithe and this band of mercenaries had walked right into it.

"We don't..." Her reply coming with a little deeper thought to their lives. "We only have to survive it... and that means trusting in one another."

"That's exactly what the Shifter would say..." He condemned her as the slight tilt that dropped from his crossbow raised to her once more.

"Don't do this!" Ayithe raised her hand before her in a defensive manner, a silent plead to beg for mercy as her worried jaw dropped open and her eyes wanted to cry through fear.

Then, he pulled the trigger. Ayithe flinched leaning back and dropped he shoulder - a knee jerk reaction that seemed fruitless in thought, but the reality was different. His nervous demeanour had caused him to be less than accurate, and while the arrow sliced along her left shoulder she did no more than tumble to one knee.

There was a silence of shock, Faren couldn't believe he missed, and Ayithe looked around to accept the reality before her. Her should bled lightly, but it was nothing more than painful, but minor wound. Her looked back up at him, his eyes stunned and ashamed of himself, and then she reacted.

She launched up and tackled him as he tried to reload, the slow and clumsy crossbow's biggest weakness. They crashed into the wall and Faren dropped his weapon, leaving him to repeatedly elbow her in the back.

THUD, THUD , THUD! His elbows crashed into her shoulder, he didn't intend on the wound at first bit it made sense to capitalise on it. She winced as he grabbed her shoulder wound and pulled her up, ready to strike her down once more, but Ayithe was ready, punching him in the gut and the face one after the other.

Again and again her knuckles pummelled his face, drawing a little more blood each time, and while not superior in weight and size Faren was no weakling. He punched her back, finally letting go of her now worsened wound and struck her hard in the face. She tried to block but crashed backwards over the lost weaponry in the earlier fight, and dropped into the bathroom.

BANG! The door slammed shut hard, and nd her dazed state Ayithe could hear the distinct rubbing of wood on stone as Faren blockaded the door. She rubbed the seat off her forehead and sat up, once again catching her breath as her face throbbed in an aching pain. Her shoulder caused repeated wincing as she moved, the agony of having his hand gripping and bashing it was enough to knock her silly. She wanted to scream out in pain, but while a few groans escaped her lips she did her best not to let him know he had hurt her.

She pushed herself up against the wall still facing the door, her heavy breathing slowly starting to calm as she rested. Then, as she had practically forgotten, her eyes lay upon the child who cowered in the corner. A spray of blood on his face, but it wasn't his, he was fine.

The poor kid... Being witness to all of this...

However, as she attempted to move towards him, the dreaded sounds of Faren called from the other room. "What the... Holy FUCK! LET ME BACK IN AYITHE!"

The door rattled as whatever furniture behind the door shifted, a few crashing of wood sounded and then screams. "ARGHHHHH!!!!!" Ayithe froze in a fearful stare at the door, her mind lost in the imagination of what was going on, on the other side. "ARGH!!!!!" He screamed again.

I... I... I got to get out of here...

Ayithe dashed away to the back of the room, the vent the only thing that seemed to be a way out of here. It would be a squeeze, he knew that much, but the stone vent had been crafted to not only vent out the smell but provide a fresh gust of air to a otherwise poorly lit and aired room. She looked back at the child, still curled up in a little ball of horror.

"Come on." She whispered as she knelt beside the boy. "My name is, Ayithe."

"But... But he monster..." The child cried a tearful few words.

"It won't get you. Not if you come with me," Ayithe held out her hand half way, urging the child with her sore eyes to join her. So he did.

Taking her hand she walked him to the vent as another loud crash thudded in the other room, but this time no screams or cried echoed through. She lifted the child in the first, and after a little unwilling moment and a small push, he went in. Ayithe hopped up, the gap barely big enough to let her get in, but the small vent was just enough for her. The rough stone scraped against her as she pushed through, the child leading slowly and quietly, and finally turning a corner to move completely out of sight.

A head of them seemed clear, the light of day apparent at the end, but a significant gap the only obstacle to get there. The child paused in fear and cried. "I can't do it!"

"You can! You have to or the monster will get us both!" Ayithe urged the child on, she couldn't squeeze past him and she feared what was behind her as much as the child.

"But I'll fall!" The child begged.

"Look, you go to because if..." Ayithe hesitate as she felt the vent crack, it what was happening? Was it collapsing in on them or was the creature forcing it's way in? The many thoughts and fears crossed her mind at this moment, but she had to move. She pushed the kid forward without consideration for his fears or even health, they couldn't stay here, she couldn't stay here. Gripping only his hand for a minor reassurance.

The child cried as she slid further to the edge, they were almost laying flat and even Ayithe's have was not enough to keep the child happy, he cried harder, his cried and sobbing would be clear if the creature had broken back into the bathroom.

Then, the crack again and the ground beneath them rattled. What... what the...

The vent base collapsed, not designed to have people crawling through it she felt her weight pull her down as everything shattered around her, and they plummeted to the ground.

Ayithe closed her eyes, she could still feel the child's hand in hers as he screamed, but his screams could not hide the crumbling noise around her and the air as it whistled around her.

CRASH! They hit the floor hard, their landing masked by the sheer volume of rumble that landed around them, and with a stroke of luck, their fall seemed rather short.

Ayithe rolled over as the child continued to cry, but dust filled the air and Ayithe's groans of pain echoed just as loud as the injured child's. Sitting up she looked around rather dazed, a trickle of blood ran down her forehead and her arm almost screamed in an overwhelming pain. The dust settled quickly and the room around her began apparent. She had landed somewhere below, in the servants quarters, but there were no servants. A small window adorned the wall near the ceiling and let in enough light to see, but the dust hurt her eyes as she coughed her lungs clear.

Ayithe forced herself to her feet, sore and weak was an understatement but she would do it anyway, she would never give up. She stepped over the crumbled debris and past the small and now dirtied bed - it had been neatly set up. Her disk blade lay before her and she checked to her hips to release one was missing, she must have dropped it in the fall, so she picked it up and went to leave.

Then the crying came back to her, and the child lay upon one of the beds, in floods of tears that had made pathways of rivers down his dirty cheeks. Each time she looked at him, she felt bad, this child knew nothing and was being punished by adults that should know better.

Ayithe held out her hand, "Come on, little one... We have to keep moving."

She wasn't used to looking after kids, or what to do to care for them, but she knew enough to know she didn't want to leave the kid behind. He must of been about five, at first she had thought older but it had become clear he was younger and this made her feel ever worse. He hugged her leg, and while a little frustrating to her, as she couldn't walk, she leaned down and wiped his tears away.

"Come on... Let's get out of here."
    Ietus Series

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    To say that he was having a bad day was an understatement.

Lorenor maneuvered his way to the underground section of the mansion trying to buy himself some time to regroup.

The stairs descended into the next section and the Paladin knew he just needed to think for a few moments.

As he considered the gravity of the situation he became disheartened that the Ranceed Priest had his own agenda and was taking advantage.

I'll deal with him later... The Ixian thought calmly. In general the situation had gotten south very quickly. He initially did not want them to get separated for that very reason. There was simply no way to be certain unless they could all keep an eye on one another. His plan was sound. Or at least, he felt it had been. He wondered how the archer and the girl in the group were holding up but he somehow doubted they had fared any better. As he considered the matters at hand, he recalled the things that Sei Orlouge had taught him on how to react in a dangerous situation. How am I doing now, my mentor? You'd probably be pretty disappointed in me. Lorenor found himself thinking about the situation extremely carefully. The Ranceed family had a lot to loose at the hands of the shifter. Lorenor was angry that the creature was able to function so readily and at ease with a compliment of guards and swords present.

It's toying with us... Lorenor had no doubt in his mind at that point that the shifter was a Demon. Or at least some sort of one. At last, Lorenor finished walking down the unusually long stair case. As he entered the next chamber he smelled vintage wine. The wine was a sweet scent and held a strong Salvarn quality to it's smell. Each region of Althanas sported it's own strong drink choices and Salvar was no different. The lower section of the large house was probably a complex and interconnected cellar area. Lorenor didn't mind. He just needed a few moments to think and gather his thoughts. The basement chamber would be a good opportunity to do just that. He decided he would let the temperatures in the upper section of the house simmer down for a little bit before he made his attempt to continue the search. He decided to search for a quiet corner in the basement, surprisingly well lit and decided to sit down for a long moment. As he sat down he focused on a few matters...namely everything that had just gone down.

Did you intend for this to happen...? Abbot Hugo...I could use a few answers right now. I feel isolated at the moment. Not that I have not been there before...but not like this. He thinks I am the enemy...but...I don't really know. Lorenor sat down in a corner and his body began to glow.

Nearby, a servant resting in the servant quarter saw the shining light and walked over towards The Paladin.

"You're one of the mercenaries are you not?" The house servant asked. "How did you end up down here?"

"Just needed some time to think...things got pretty bad for a bit." Lorenor looked at the woman for a moment. She had black hair and handsome, Salvarn features.

"How bad are things up there?" The woman asked and sat down next to Lorenor.

"Bad...just needed some space for a bit. Managed to only find a few clues." Lorenor thought of something. "How many of you workers are down here?"

"A few. But we rarely come up to the house unless called for and it's been some time. So we're just staying down here." She said calmly.

"Do you know of Abbot Hugo?" Lorenor thought he could reach the workers and try to assemble a group. His mind started running at that point with that idea.

"Yes He's a good man. And placed some of his Agents here in various parts of Knife's Edge." The woman said in a matter of fact sort of way.

"I've observed the creature's style of killing." Lorenor said carefully. "It seems to be picking us apart groups at a time." Lorenor said.

"Can it be stopped?" She asked.

"Maybe. But with everybody in-fighting...I'm not sure if we can win the day." Lorenor felt exhausted at that point and was glad that he found somebody he could talk to...that was not tainted by the situation above.

Suddenly, the girl leaned in close to Lorenor and did something unexpected.

She stabbed him in abdomen area, with a ritual dagger.

"No way to be safe...no way to be certain." The woman suddenly said.

Lorenor bleeded out from the piercing trauma. His face was stunned at the action....

"Black blood...it doesn't change color...." She said calmly and looked at Lorenor. "I had to know..."

"This has not really been my day." Lorenor admitted attempting to keep a humor about the dastardly deed.

"What are you...?" She asked. "You're clearly not the shifter..."

"You wouldn't believe me at this point anyway. But what does matter is that...no...I'm not the shifter." Lorenor said calmly realizing that the injury to his abdomen area had been severe and he was bleeding out. "I don't want to die alone." Lorenor suddenly said.

Despite the horrible situation, the girl stood by his side. She sat down once again next to him. "You're Ixian are you not? I recall those marks."

She was just trying to make small talk while Lorenor basically bleed out.

"A long time ago." Lorenor was feeling an excruciating amount of pain. As he sat there with the girl, he strangely did not mind her company. "You know...it's still somewhere in the house." Lorenor managed to say but was growing quite cold as he sat there bleeding out. Black ichor spilled out of the injury and he sighed...This is the end is it not? I just wanted to help... Lorenor was growing cold as he sat there and he considered the very real fact that the mission was a failure. I didn't get in the end after all... He shook his head. "You know it doesn't hurt that much."
    Last edited by Mutant_Lorenor; 09-25-16 at 02:35 PM.
    The Alpha and The Omega.

GP

Name
    Ayithe Solete
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Light brown and blonde
    Eye Color
    Aqua Blue
    Build
    5'6
    Job
    Fighter

View Profile
    Ayithe with the child in tow wandered away from the small wrecked underground, dusty and bloody as she guided the child away from what she believed was certain death. The only intent on being to save the defenceless young boy, and while she hardly knew the child at all she knew it was the right thing to do.

What do I do now? She questioned herself again and again but there was no direct answer to fill the void of despair that she feared.

This creature didn't even have to do anything, the fear itself was spreading like a wild fire into the hearts of everyman and woman within these walls. Ayithe was frightened inside, but she wouldn't show it to the child. It was the very itself that was actually causing her to be strong and fearless in the face of all this terror - not that the child had any special powers and neither did Ayithe really know it, but the fact that she felt she had to be strong for the child made her ever stronger in herself.

Her arm ached under the blood that had smeared over it, her wound she causing some much unwanted frustration as it tried to distract her. The cold and quiet downstairs was very different to the upstairs of the mansion, no colour and a lack of light and windows. The small horizontal slits let in enough to remove the shadows but left a dull dim light to match the dark and lifeless stone grey walls of the servants quarters. They walked the corridors slowly and quietly, enough to hear the silent sniffles of the child as he tried not to cry.

Ayithe paused, staring down the next long corridor, using the open doorway to peek her head through like a thief peering to his exit strategy.

Empty.

Each little sob and sniff felt like it was breaking her heart, she really hated seeing a child suffer this way, and as she knelt down to comfort him once again it finally dawned on her that she hadn't even asked his name.

"Hey... What's your name little one?" She asked with a soft, sympathetic tone.

"Ecbir," he whimpered as a small tear slipped from his watery eyes.

Ayithe calmly took his small hand in hers and them wiped away the tear once again. "Okay Ecbir, my names Ayithe... And I'm going to get you back to your dad. Chin up." She smiled as she looked directly into his eyes, waiting for a hint of acceptance or a smile, whichever came first. Ecbir nodded, but no clear smile graced his face as his cheek tensed into a small hesitant dimple - it was probably the best she was going to get. "Come on then."

Standing back up she peered back out into the corridor, nothing but the stillness of silence filled the emptiness and as scary as that seemed at this time they walked out anyway.

After a few moments of sneaking and lurking, they passed a few locked doors, and even as she knocked and pressed her ear against the wood, the voices that hummed inside never came to the door. She didn't blame them, the servants would be too afraid and the more she banged the quieter it fell - she couldn't afford to kick in the door like a crazed assailant, she had to stay sane.

It felt like a maze of rooms and corridors but few doors remained open and no footsteps echoed into the corridors as they limped their way back towards any exit they could find. Eventually, after what felt longer than it actually was, the open staircase to the next level stood before them. Better lit and featuring a little decoration of a couple of family portraits and a delicate table - more than any of the previous corridors. She felt herself gasp with excitement as a rush of adrenalin flushed through her body - freedom.

Yet, as she approached the stairs and the child's pace finally quickened to take over her, a few voices caught her attention, only quiet but something of sadness. She paused to listen as the familiar voice touched her ears and tempted her to turn around, conflicting with the fact she had Ecbir in tow and had intended on taking him to safety. She closed her eyes and sighed as she hated on herself to the thought of not just leaving, but something drew her back to the voices, maybe she could help, maybe they could help them - more people wasn't a bad thing.

The knight... She recognised the light glow that hued blue around him and instantly knew who he was. Surely the shifter couldn't replicate such an effect, and if she was right who exactly was that standing over him? He's injured...

"Stay..." Ayithe whispered directly as she pointed to a small crate within the same room. "with me, but don't go past that box unless I fall."

Then, without another word Ayithe charged forward, leaving the darkness of the corridor as silently as a shadow, her footsteps only becoming clear as she got close. As she figure turned their head to her their arm raised with a blade in hand, she almost left the ground as she arched a large swift kick to the temple - striking with a forceful blow that sent them crashing into the ground with an unconscious thump. Ayithe's wrists blades released as she stared down the assassin before her but as she waited, glancing back only to see the child still waiting in view behind her. The once threatening figure now lay motionless and harmless unable to once again rise to their feet - at least for a little while.

"Are you okay?"
    Ietus Series

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    (Edits per request)

The dimly lit chamber did little to calm Lorenor's mood.

As he sat there he knew one thing...I am going to die. But at least I am not going to die alone. Lorenor wondered where his day had gone so south. Most people simply accepted death as it happened...it was an every day occurrence on Althanas. Lorenor didn't really mind. What he did mind was the fact that a lot of people were being hunted by the demon. The Shape Shifter. Lorenor sat with the girl next to him as he bled slowly out from the piercing stab he'd suffered earlier. Then a voice called out from up ahead. Lorenor opened his eyes as a question, barely registered by his ears...was heard. He opened his eyes and was surprised to see Ayithe again.

Then, the girl that he was sitting next to was suddenly disabled by Ayithe.

"What happened to that Archer you decided to go with?" Lorenor asked.

He didn't know who to trust or what to believe. The Shape Shifter could have been anybody, and they had all walked into a death trap. "I'm having a really bad day." Lorenor was trying to face his end with a good and strong view. He wanted to go out with honor. He was hurting and the blood loss was too great. The girl who sat next to him was now on the ground completely laid out. Lorenor looked at Ayithe with a strange expression on his face...

He wasn't entirely sure why but he did not simply die.

Instead...he kept bleeding.

The endless ichor of black blood....

It was a part of who he was, part of his cursed destiny. Lorenor looked at Ayithe. "Why did you just do that?" Lorenor looked at the girl next to him for a moment, she was now on the ground hurt by Ayithe. Lorenor was stunned at that point and had no idea why Ayithe had done that...

Lorenor stared at Ayithe.

Lorenor was just trying to do the right thing and protect anybody he could.

So at that point...the truth didn't matter anyway. Lorenor sighed as he looked at Ayithe. "Just hurts like hell...the injury is not closing or anything. Wish I knew some of them healing arts..." If he got out of that mess intact, he would be certain to have a strong ale...

But for now...he just was concentrating on staying alive.

And for some reason, his body was reacting in a strange fashion to the injury. He did not know it, but his body had slow regenerative capacity that was starting to emerge. Lorenor did not have the strength to stand just yet, but the shock of the situation demanded he rest considerably and attempt to understand why Ayithe had attacked the girl.

"I'm no good to anyone like this." Lorenor said.

He felt disheartened by the situation, and what had actually happened. Lorenor looked at Ayithe.

"Is that the Ranceed kid?" Lorenor looked past Ayithe and was staring at the little boy...something was wrong...

But the important matter was attempting to figure out why Ayithe had knocked the maid out. "You probably thought she was the shifter or something..." Lorenor said quietly towards Ayithe. "Hey, I'm hurt pretty bad and could use some company until the time happens..." Lorenor did not want to die but he knew very little would stop that at this point...short of a miracle.
    Last edited by Mutant_Lorenor; 10-28-16 at 03:13 PM.
    The Alpha and The Omega.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast