Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10 / Athletic
    Job
    Independent Contractor and Arms Dealer

As Rayse opened his eyes, he saw the clear pools of blue in hers and froze. If this was a repeat of the last time he visited this goddess-forsaken place, he was about to get stabbed. Yet, there was no malice in her eyes, only confusion, urgency, and although hard for someone like Rayse to detect, compassion.

“How are you doing?” Rayse asked between breaths, the tone a bit more friendly than he intended.

While normally Taische would be incredulous and rattle off a host of questions, she knew keenly the kind of danger they were in. “I’m fine.”

Rayse didn’t know why he was awake, but there was no time for questions. He was here, she was here, and now they had to get out of this goddess-damned place. Another tremor shook the laboratory, this time potent enough to displace the objects on the tables and nearly knock the duo off their feet. Whatever was happening, it was getting closer. He frowned at the sight of the charred notebook and whatever secrets it kept.

Picking up a feather pen which was knocked from its inkwell, he took the few scraps he could and jotted something down, then turned back to Taische. “We’re leaving. This way.”

His one arm was wrapped around her shoulder, allowing him a bit more mobility than before. While normally he was too prideful for something like this, right now he didn’t even dignify it with a thought. There was more important things to worry about right now. Both of them made it out of the room, and Rayse verbally directed Taische toward the nearest exit. The catacombs were a maze, and the path Rayse used was now a deep, dark pit.

When he was young, he carried her when she was injured through the dangerous backstreets of Ettermire. Now, she was the one supporting him. Her focus on the escape was different than how he remembered her. She was quiet, serious, even though she likely had very important questions to ask, especially about her mother. Was she considering him a priority right now? What was he to her, anyway? Karuka didn’t expose him after all this time, yet at the same time didn’t play him up like the other men in her life. What did Taische see in him, exactly?

Regardless, they maintained the trend of not encountering a single other being down here. They were walking distinctly uphill, which wore on Rayse, his legs nearly crying out in pain with every step. A few times the tremors forced them to stop and lean on the wall for support, but that was about it. Then, a sort of low moan echoed throughout the dark halls.

Meeeaaaaaaat...

Rayse’s jaw dropped, “Oh holy goddess-damned hell…”

How in the FUCK did he survive that?!

“What’s that?” Tasiche asked.

“Something [i]very[i] bad.”

Eventually, they reached what looked like a dead end in the distance, but Rayse knew that it was an exit hidden by bushes. Taische turned around, her eyes wide as she finally felt the magnitude of what was approaching them. The tremors had become more frequent, forming a rhythm of one-two, one-two. They were footsteps. They picked up the pace, no longer causing any earthquakes, but now louder and louder. Whatever it was, it would be upon them in seconds.

“Go!” Rayse yelled. “I’m feeling better now, so get a head start and I’ll catch up in no time.” He lied.

“Then let’s leave together!” She protested.

“Look, I’m no good at this hero thing. That’s not really my style. Your slow ass will drag me down if we go together. I’ll buy some time and catch up. If you’d like to argue some more, I’ll just kill you and leave by myself, it would be a better fate than leaving you to… to it.” He pushed her forward, slipping the note he made inside of her robe.

Without having to support him, she was out of this hellhole before he even blinked. He turned back around, wondering how the hell Draug even fit in these halls if his new body was that huge. However, as the figure approached, nearly destroying the ground with the weight of each step, he remembered that Draug could compress his form despite his true size. He couldn’t make out any of Draug’s features in the darkness, but he knew it was him.

“Hello again, meat,” Draug said, in a soft voice. “That was the best attempt on my life I’ve ever experienced. But, I had a feeling you were trying something, and I detached my essence, letting you deal with a mindless mass. You forced me to discard my body… I respect that. Your reward will be a painless death.”

Rayse fished around his pockets for anything resembling a weapon, but found that he had nothing left. “I must confess: You have me at a disadvantage.” He made a fist and held it up to the Abomination. “I’m right-handed.”

EXP: 107,947, Level: 14
    Level completed: 27%, EXP required for next level: 11,053
    Level completed: 27%,
    EXP required for next level: 11,053
    GP

Name
    Rayse Valentino
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10 / Athletic
    Job

Out of Character:
    The next post was written by Taische. I have permission to post it on her behalf.

Disoriented and dehydrated, Taische still ran as quickly as her stumbling legs would carry her. She knew that Rayse couldn't survive another fight with the monster who had almost killed him the first time. That monster had even beaten her mother and their phoenix. She hadn't brought him back from the brink of death just to let him die, but what other choice did she have? He wanted her to escape. He came so she could escape.

And she was afraid. Her mother had also told her to run when the monster first showed up, and not only had it still managed to get her, but her mother hadn't come. Had Karuka perished while trying to defend her?

An unseen root grabbed her ankle in her reckless run, sending her skidding headlong into leaf litter and gravel. A thousand tiny knives pressed against her gown, rubbing her front raw and cutting into the left side of her face. She stumbled immediately to her feet, looking around in a panic to locate the best way out. Her hands reflexively shoved her hair back, and as she did so, something rustled against the back of her neck.

Little fingers closed around the paper and unfolded it. She remembered Rayse scrawling something, and since he'd stayed behind to give her a chance to escape, she read it by the pale moonlight instead of running immediately.

Sorry.

The word wasn't neatly written, but she felt the remorse coming from it. It puzzled her. Why would he be sorry? Why had he come, if he and her mother didn't get along anymore? Why would a man who tried to fill his life with gold and trinkets even come for a child who meant nothing to him? Why would he risk his life?

Why would he give his life?

Why did he care?

I just do, okay?

Why? Why had he looked shocked when he learned her age the first time they met? Why take the time to teach her anything when he had people he could have passed her off to while he waited for her mother to reach Knife's Edge to claim her? Why hadn't his fire burned her when her fists passed through him?

The only fire that doesn't burn me is... is mine.

Realization hit Taische like a punch in the gut. Rayse was a pyromancer who had spent time with her mother shortly before she left for Jalaan. He had black hair like her, some of her facial features looked like his, and his fire was exactly the same as hers. She'd called Rayse an "uncle" because he'd taken care of her a little bit and he had a history with her mother. But he wasn't her uncle at all.

Rayse Valentino was her father. Maybe her mother had never told her because he'd done something bad and Karuka wanted Taische to be good. Maybe he hadn't told her out of respect for her mother's wishes or because the knowledge put her in danger somehow. His note said that he was sorry. Maybe he was sorry because the monster had taken her because she was his daughter. That had to be why he'd come for her, why he was making a stand to give her a chance to live.

Taische turned back toward the broken tower. She might have lost her mother; if she lost her father too, how would she make it in such a vast and sometimes cruel world? Could she count on Storm to take her under his wing for a few years if her mother was dead? She doubted it. Storm Veritas was very temperamental and not very reliable when he was in a mood. The only place she had was Jalaan, and she didn't know how to get across the sea all by herself.

How can I take on that big monster, though? It beat up both my parents when it was smaller!

Nervous brown toes dug into the forest's loam, sending a question into the earth. In return, it sent a pulse up to her. Now that she was listening to the planet again, it sang of strength. She could feel power flowing through the area, and not just in one stream. No, she felt it in five. All of them flowed like mighty rivers, crashing into a point of immense power back where she'd left Rayse and the monster.

Taische's jaw set and she started running again, but this time toward the monster.

Bigger doesn't mean stronger. And the world wants that thing gone. He shouldn't have messed with a Druid's child on leylines.

GP

Name
    Rayse Valentino
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10 / Athletic
    Job

With each step, Draug drew nearer, yet the intensity of his steps were decreasing. He was displacing less of the floor, and was soon walking as if he wasn’t a titantic monster crammed into a human-looking frame. The air around Rayse grew heavier, and low whispers of an indiscernible language nipped at his ears. The only torches were all the way at the exit, so he could only hear what approached from the darkness.

Rayse leaned against the wall for support, barely able to stand anymore. “You’re really taking your sweet time, aren’t you? I thought you said this would be painless, but the wait is excruciating. At this point I’ll die of boredom.”

“Don’t worry, you’ll get your due soon enough,” Draug replied. “Right after her.”

“What?!”

“I can feel it in the ground… she approaches. There’s something different about her. It’ll be a good test of my new body.”

Then, the catacombs trembled.

GP

Name
    Rayse Valentino
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10 / Athletic
    Job

Out of Character:
    The next post was written by Taische. I have permission to post it on her behalf.

Ancient and powerful magic circles flared to life beneath Taische’s feet as she ran. Each one was smaller and more powerful than the last, and each one felt like a sort of seal.

Seven binding circles. Five leylines. Whatever it was that had been buried away, it was supposed to stay buried.

The monster and his people may have un-buried it, but the child thought that if she could just use the convergence - no, she couldn’t use the convergence. Much older and much more powerful mages wouldn’t be able to use the convergence; it wasn’t a tool like a sword or a hammer. But if she could channel it like a farmer might burn away bracken to make a fertile field, or like an engineer might redirect a river to water a desert city, she might just be able to put that monster where it belonged - in the realm of bad dreams, the type that faded with the first rays of dawn.

Only a few minutes of running brought Taische to a small clearing near the center of the convergence. She could feel Rayse down there, and she could feel the slimy, powerful presence of the monster not far away. The little girl hesitated; that creature had managed to take her after what had to be a bad fight with her mother, and he'd almost killed Rayse. If she messed up, they would both die.

But sometimes you have to fight. Because sometimes it's the right thing to do. Don't doubt. Breathe. Just like mom said.

Taische took a deep breath and let it out slowly, opening herself to the ocean of raw magic that pooled around the ancient tomb. It filled her, then started seeping through every pore. With neither the experience nor the control to rein it in, she let it burst instead. Blue and yellow flames enveloped her from the top of her head to the tips of her toes. Lightning crackled and snapped around her fingers. Trees rooted themselves deeper and spread their branches further. Finally, with little more than a push from the child, the earth beneath her feet buckled and broke, collapsing into the space between Draug and Rayse and depositing her within the rubble.

She couldn't see her father's reaction; she'd purposely landed with her face to the enemy who had kidnapped her and almost killed him. She could see the victorious smirk on the white beast's face, and her lips pulled away from her teeth in response.

"Parents chase away monsters," she spat at him. Her left hand whipped up, making a thick slab of magically-enhanced rock break free of the earth and seal off the pathway that might let him escape. The creature's smirk grew into a bloodthirsty smile; he thought she'd trapped herself in with him. But she wasn't finished.

"Only stupid ones come back." Her right hand clenched into a fist and punched forward. The tons of hewn rock that had fallen with Taische hurtled for Draug like the tide rushed the shore, and just to be sure that he couldn't escape the tons of stone and the giant slab, she slammed both hands down, shoving the whole mess down deep into the earth with thunderous grating and groaning.

Afterward, she stood with her back to Rayse, fighting to get the magic to let her go. Her mother had only exposed her to single leylines to teach her what they felt like and how to open herself to the world around her; such a large convergence had a will of its own. Slowly, the lightning died down and the fire surrounding her faded into orange, then red, and receded until only a few errant tongues flickered in her hair.

She felt empty and overwhelmed at the same time. She wobbled a little bit, unsure of left or right, up or down. Her stomach churned within her like a wild animal fighting to be free and she retched violently. Nothing landed on the crumbled floor beneath her feet; she hadn't eaten since before she was taken.

When she straightened, Taische turned to Rayse. She looked at him, a little uncertain of what to say. He'd never admitted to being her father, and now he knew that she knew. He'd told her to run, and she'd deliberately disobeyed him. After a few heartbeats of silence, she shoved her hair back and patted out one of the little lingering flames.

"...can we go now?"

Make It So
    EXP: 23,137, Level: 6
    Level completed: 45%, EXP required for next level: 3,863
    Level completed: 45%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,863
    GP

Name
    Rayleigh Aston
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brunette
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'3 / 115
    Job
    Mechanic

View Profile
    Thread: untitled
    Participants: Abomination & Rayse Valentino
    Type: Workshop

Abomination receives:
    (330 x 2.5 Althanas Festival Bonus) 825 EXP
    30 GP

Rayse Valentino receives:
    2400 x 2.5 Althanas Festival Bonus) 6000 EXP
    160 GP

Congratulations!
    Althy's Judging Admin
    To try or not to try. To take a risk or play it safe.
    Your arguments have reminded me how precious the right to choose is.
    And because I've never been one to play it safe, I choose to try.

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    All rewards have been added!

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12