Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Emerald, yellow ring around iris
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile

Uninvited Guest.

[Closed to Jake, Rated MA: mild nudity, swearing, drug use, sexual situations]

Amari both hated and relished times like this. She was alone, which meant she was free to wander the estate grounds. She didn't have to hide from her father, and as much as she loved her brother...he was overbearing at times. His presence was dominating and Amari couldn't help but yield to his soothing droll of his voice. The two had departed for the Capitol. Invitations were set out to the L'Olfsden family, to attend a lavish event. Of course, Amari wasn't included in that 'family' she never was. Always the outsider. Always the child of 'sin' a 'curse' upon the family.

The woman sat against the cold windowsill, wearing a long, white dress. It's material thick and lined with the pelts of arctic wolves. Her hair pushed to one side, crimson tendrils cascading down and over one shoulder. Her heterochromatic eyes watched as the sun set below the horizon. Brilliant gold paving way for a harsh, dark night. She clutched the cup of herbal tea tighter in her hands, soaking up it's warmth before bringing it to her face, inhaling deeply. "mmmm..." It was a blend of her own design. Lemon balm, lavender, chamomile...It calmed her. She took a careful sip, lavishing the warmth as it travelled down her throat and nestled in her stomach.

What a way to spend an 18th birthday. She mused to herself. The thought wasn't bitter, she didn't hate her father for how he treated her. She knew no better. She didn't hold any ill will against her brother either. The two were protecting the family name, the estate and the heritage for future generations.

Finishing the tea, Amari pushed herself off the mantle. It was dark. "I'd best start lighting the lanterns, start a fire, and prepare dinner." She said to herself.
    Last edited by Mari; 01-23-17 at 08:50 AM.

EXP: 15,350, Level: 5
    Level completed: 23%, EXP required for next level: 4,650
    Level completed: 23%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,650
    GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    A cold Salvic breeze ushered darkness over the small town of Tisden. In the upper class quarter a young half elf dressed unseasonably in thin green sifan clothing hustled along the frosted road. His toes felt frozen solid inside his soft leather boots, his bare hands frigid although he had them jammed in his pockets. His cheeks were red with the chill despite the hood of his fine woolen cloak being pulled up, and steam vented from his mouth with every exhale.

Jacob Narmolanya had come to Salvar in search of a particular ice demon who had caused considerable trouble in his hometown of Underwood, Corone. It had taken the young traveler a single step through one of his patented portals to reach Tisden, where he had it on good authority the ice demon kept a safe house. However Jake had arrived during mid-afternoon, and his few hours of searching had turned up nothing. Now darkness had fallen and he was alone on the streets with no food and no winter-weight clothing, and no idea where to find the damned demon.

A pair of finely dressed residents in thick woolen clothing passed Jake by, and his half-elven ears all but quivered beneath his floppy canvas cap, picking up on their conversation.

"L'Olfsden and his son are out of town on business," one man said before the cold air whisked his voice away.

Jake paused and considered. He'd come to the richer part of town looking for a promising manor to break into, preferably one with no one home so he could get a few hours sleep. Perhaps I can find the home of these L'Olfsdens, he reasoned. Many of the manor houses in the district bore the names of those who lived in them. Wealthy Salvic folk, it seemed, were quite proud of their heritage.

The youth paced from one building to the next, checking placards and signs on fences and front walls, until at last he found the manor home of the L'Olfsdens. It was a large two story affair made of cobbled stone, with a fine shale roof and a short wooden fence surrounding the property. Jake put a hand on the top rail and vaulted over the fence athletically, green eyes noting the placard mounted on the wall that read Home of the L'Olfsdens. On silent feet the half elf stole to a ground level window and cupped his hands around the glass to look in.

He could just make out a dark kitchen with a stone basin sink and wooden counters. Glancing left and right, the young thief decided not to bother picking the lock. If he did end up resting his eyes awhile, he'd want the door to remain barred. He reached inside his cloak and touched the eagle quill he always kept in his breast pocket. Reality shimmered and a small portal appeared next to him, its twin inside the kitchen. Jake hopped through, his boots making a muddy mess on the polished stone floor tiles. Woops, he thought, I guess they'll know someone was here.

Stomach grumbling, the young half elf paced over to what he assumed was the pantry and opened the door, hoping to find it well stocked.
    Last edited by Jake Narmolanya; 10-09-16 at 11:24 AM.
    Jake Narmolanya - Child of Concordia

EXP: 38,655, Level: 8
    Level completed: 41%, EXP required for next level: 5,345
    Level completed: 41%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,345
    GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari padded down the stairs, pausing at the foot to light a lantern on a small corner table. She turned the corner and headed down a long hallway. Pausing every so often to light more gas lanterns. Slowly bringing light into the dark, empty abode. Amari paused, as she thought she heard a thud come from the kitchen. Her heart skipped a beat as fear began to place worst case scenarios into her mind.

Thieves? Bandits? Slavers?

No..she hadn't heard any shattering glass, nor the banging of the doors being beaten down. The area was very safe, and their estate vast. Few would be able to enter unannounced. She stilled, holding her breath. She didn't hear much else, and exhaled, somewhat relieved. Perhaps another creature made its way into the kitchen again, to escape the cold She thought to herself, trying to rationalise the sounds to ease her thumping heart.

“You’re fine…” she said, an affirmation to herself. She continued down the hall toward the kitchen. Clutching an empty metal tray, balancing it on one arm. if it is anyone...I’ll hit them on the head with this… she thought to herself. Of course, her thoughts were more brash than her. Amari couldn’t find it in herself to hurt a fly, or even hunt game - let alone attack another person.

Another corner, and Amari came face to face with a shivering youth, draped all in green. She gasped, bringing the metal tray up to hide her lower face. The porcelain teaset came crashing down to the floor. Shattering.

The blonde haired youth stilled, wide eyes turning to face Amari. A look of surprise and guilt on his face. “I...didn’t think anyone was home. I’m sorry. I just…” He glanced back to the fully stocked pantry. “Wanted food and warmth.” He took a few seconds to compose himself, offering her a low, sweeping bow. “You’ve nothing to fear from me, m’lady.”

Amari took a cautious step forward, still clutching the metal tray tightly in her hands. He looked...different. Definitely not from Salvar, his accent was different too. Her foot landed on a shard of broken porcelain and she yelped. Jumping and falling back to the floor with a ‘thud’ landing hard on her buttocks.

Amari held the tray up in a pathetic attempt to shield herself from him. “Why not Knock!” She asked, hiding her face behind the tray. “I’d have done those thin-ahh..” She winced, her foot twitching as blood oozed from the laceration where a thin piece of white stuck out from her flesh.

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    "I'm a thief!" Jake exclaimed before realizing he was almost shouting in shock. He continued in a quieter tone. "I mean, thieves don't generally knock," he said half to himself as he knelt in front of the crimson-haired lass, "and the house looked empty, in any case. Here, let me help you." He gathered a handful of his cloak and used it to sweep the shattered porcelain off to one side. Taking the injured foot gently in his hands, he peered at the sliver with sharp green eyes. The wound did not appear too bad, but probably hurt an awful lot.

"Take a deep breath," Jake advised, and then pulled the shard of porcelain out swiftly. The girl twitched and gasped, but did not cry out. I guess she's really not going to turn me in, the youth thought in relief. It wouldn't have been difficult to escape even if she did raise the alarm - a quick portal and he'd be on his way - but then he'd have to go to all the trouble of breaking into another manor, and potentially upsetting another strange girl who liked spending time alone in a cold house. She didn't even have a fire going, he reasoned, this place was practically begging to be burglarized!

Still feeling guilty for having caused the Salvic lass to hurt her foot, Jake grabbed a clean towel he'd noticed near the sink and tied it tightly around the wound. A dark crimson stain soaked through slightly but the bleeding slowed against the pressure.

"Take my hand, milady." Jake said, and helped her over to a chair. "You should keep this up for awhile," he reasoned, placing her wounded foot atop a matching wooden chair. The girl's face was still tight with pain, and Jake felt like an absolute rascal for being the cause.

"I'm truly sorry," he said, wringing his hands, "if I'd known you were here I never would have bothered you. My name is Jake. Is there anything else I might do to assist you? If not I'll be on my way, I promise." He shuffled his feet and looked down, noticing that he was still tracking mud across the floor. I am a bloody oaf and a half, he thought crossly.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari turned away from the youth, a look of distaste on her face. “Why??” She asked. “I know...not a lot of people are all too kind, but does thieving really help?” She shook her head, turning her attention to her foot.

“I feel like I should be more afraid of you.” She mumbled, watching him yank the protrusion from her foot. Amari winced, but didn’t cry out. It hurt, but not that much. As Jake tightened the cloth around her foot. Amari rolled it around a few times, testing it out.

“Thankyou. Amari. My name is Amari.” She offered the youth a nervous smile.

Amari hesitated as he held out his hand to her, now that she thought about it. He was the only other person that looked to be her age, that she had a conversation with, other than her brother. Jake insisted, and Amari relented. Using his hand to help her stand. He guided her to a chair, and she sat down.

“I cannot.” She said simply to his suggestion. “I was in the process of lighting the gas lanterns for the night.” Her eyes rose to the ceiling as she started listing her chores. “I need to start the fires. Heat a bath, make dinner…” She paused looking down at the dirtied floor. “Clean the floor.”

“Excuse me, M’lady - but they don’t sound like tasks a noblewoman would perform.” Jake inquired.

Amari shook her head. “It’s what I’ve always done.” Her small smile waned, and took upon a sad look. “My birth, caused my mothers death. My father calls me a cursed child of sin. Since her death, he fired most the staff. Now, twice a week - we have maids come in to clean - beyond that. I generally keep myself busy with the menial tasks. I don’t mind. It gives me something to busy myself.” Her smile returned as she looked up at Jake. “And it makes my brother proud, to see me work so hard.”

Jake blinked, looking at the crimson haired girl incredulously. She had the posture, manner of speaking and inflections of a noble - but didn’t hold the same arrogance as one. “I see.” He said. Unsure of what else to say.

Amari stood, being careful not to put pressure on her injured foot. “I said I’d help you, right?” Amari asked. “Follow me to the drawing room. I’ll start a fire.” Her emerald eyes glanced down at his attire. “I’ll fetch you some warmer clothes for you to change into, once you’ve had a bath.” She was curious about the fellow, but now was not the time for questions.

Amari turned from Jake and hobbled into the next room - the dining hall - past that was a drawing room. It was a large room with plush, comfortable chairs either side of a hearth. Above the fireplace was a large painted picture, depicting her father, and brother. Amari, was absent. Her lack of presence in the portraits would have one assume that she was lying about her position within the family.

Amari knelt down by the fireplace and lit the fire. Before long, it was roaring with life, bringing warmth into the lavishly decorated room. Now in a brighter light, she turned to the home intruder. “Jake, what would you like….for….dinner…” She trailed off. Her eyes only just now catching the slight curve of his ears. Her brow furrowed in confusion. “You’re, really not from Salvar- are you? Your clothes are much too thin to survive a day, let alone a night out here. You seem to know little of my family, and your ears…”

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    Once I've had a... did she say a bath? Flabbergasted, Jake followed Amari into the drawing room. Did he smell bad? He knew his hands and face were dirty, as usual, but as a rule he washed once a week and that had always seemed sufficient. Snapping out of a short reverie, Jake returned to listening to the girl.

He barely understood the words she spoke, and not because of her thick Salvic drawl. Why is this noblewoman acting like a bloody innkeeper? He wondered. He'd never met a Salvic noblewoman before, but seriously doubted that Salvic hospitality extended to bathing an uninvited guest. As the flame-haired girl knelt by the hearth, Jake half expected her to grab the heavy iron poker and swing it at him. That's what he would have bloody well done if someone broke into his home. But Amari merely sparked and stoked the fire and then turned to face him, strangely colored eyes lighting on his pointed ears.

"Erm, well no, mila--Amari. I'm from Concorida, in Corone." Jake explained as his cheeks and pointed ears blushed scarlet. "I'm actually half elven, although I didn't know it myself until about a year ago." He moved closer to the fire, letting the warmth wash over his slender form. "I was an orphan, y'see, and my adopted parents never knew of my heritage. It wasn't until I met some other elves in the Bandit Brotherhood that I realized..." Jake trailed off, wondering why he was telling this strange girl so much. She was awfully pretty, with her pale skin, fiery hair and enchanting yellow-ringed eyes, but he had come to Salvar with a purpose.

"Ahem," Jake cleared his throat, "I am sorry to have bothered you, and I'm glad your foot isn't paining you too terribly. I really shouldn't stay for dinner - though I could do with some bread and cheese, if it's not too much trouble - y'see, I came here hunting a demon." He struck what he assumed was a heroic pose; back to the fire, fists on hips, and nose in the air. "This particular ice demon has been making trouble in my home town of Underwood, and I recently learned he's holed up somewhere here in Tisden..." Jake trailed off again. The way Amari looked at him unnerved him slightly.

"So you see, I really should be on my way," he said, smoothing out the wrinkles in his cloak self consciously, "if you've an extra thick cloak to spare, this one is rather thin for the climes." He frowned slightly, one eyebrow arching. "I don't really think I need a bath, though it's erm, generous of you to offer."

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    “Concordia…” Amari repeated thoughtfuly, as though repeating it to memory. She had heard of it before, but beyond it’s name - she knew little to nothing about the place. Or its inhabitants. SHe wasn’t sure if Elves were common there, or uncommon, Amari knew Salvar was primarily human. “I suppose the weather there is more becoming, than it is here, no?” She didn’t want to outright ask him too many questions, she felt it rude- and it may just reveal how uneducated she was.

Amari’s eyes watched him, as he approached the fire, warming himself. “An Orphan? I’m sorry to hear that, Jake.” She felt guilty, her mother had died, but she still had family. Even if that family didn’t exactly treat her like she was a part of it. She had food, and warmth. Amari was a simple woman, and she had everything she could really ask for.

He cleared his throat, apologising for the intrusion. “No.” Amari replied softly. “It’s nice, having someone here.” She offered her uninvited guest a small smile. “It’s like I have my own personal birthday party.”

Jake seemed a little distracted, and he voiced why. It seemed that he was here for a reason, and that reason was a demon. Amari’s eyes widened. “Demon?” She shouted, quickly glancing around the house, as though saying the word would summon it. She lowered her voice. “They are [i[here[/i]? She asked in a worried tone. Shifting closer to Jake. Suddenly, she didn’t like the idea of being alone any more. “Do you think...something like that would just come into a house?”

Jake struck a heroic pose and its jovial gesture was lost on the woman. Her eyes breezed up and down his angular jaw, his toned arms- with his chest puffed out she could see that he was strong, well built. Clearly a hunter. Amari wasn’t sure what she felt when she stared silently at him, it wasn’t unpleasant, but it was new. She shifted awkwardly, glancing away.

It was then, he insisted that he should leave, but the fear and concern of a demon lurking nearby, followed by the ignorance of what demons looked like, or how they worked made Amari all the more insistent that he stay. She broached the gap between them, clutching right onto his well toned arm. “P-please. I insist. There has been a duck roasting in the downstairs oven, with basted root vegetables and rosemary. For a sweet treat, we can have some birthday cake. We don’t get to enjoy such a thing often, rather - the only reason I can enjoy it, is due to my solitude.” Amari gave a nervous laugh, her grip tightening on Jakes’ arm. It was clear she was afraid of said solitude. “Father would be furious if he found I had made such a decadent thing.”

There was a pause, as she glanced up at him, ignoring his comment about the bath for now, her eyes pleaded with him. “Please?”

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    Jake considered his options carefully. He figured he wasn't likely to find the ice demon that night anyway, and in any case, it would be awfully non-heroic of him to leave a fair maiden lonely and afraid. Besides, he hadn't tasted cake since the last Feast Day in Underwood, and he rather liked the way Amari clutched at his arm. Without thinking he flexed the slender muscles made hard by long hours of practicing the sword and bow.

"Alright Amari," Jake conceded, "I'll stay for dinner, but only because it's your birthday." He winked at her and then blushed a deeper shade of crimson, shocked at his own forwardness. He lifted a hand that trembled slightly with adrenaline and stroked her back. "You don't need to worry about the demon, I'll slay it before I leave Salvar. You've got my oath on that."

The fire felt warm and cozy, and Jake grew more comfortable standing so close to a beautiful young woman. He rubbed her back again.

"Demons are cowards, for the most part," he assured her, paraphrasing from a book he'd read. "One wouldn't break into a house near where it lives; it'd be afraid of people paying it back. No, they prefer to use their brand of portals to travel about causing mischief before returning to their hiding spots."

The fire popped and crackled, playing shadows of the young pair on the walls. The wind surged and moaned in the chimney, a sound so sudden that Amari jumped. Maybe I should stop talking about demons, Jake figured, rubbing her back comfortingly.

"Happy birthday, Amari," the half elf said awkwardly, wondering what Salvic customs existed surrounding birthdays. In Concordia friends and family gave small gifts on birthdays, normally just things like a bunch of flowers or a shiny stone. Unfortunately Jake had brought nothing but his weapons and enchanted quill. He didn't even have any gold in his pockets, not that a noblewoman like Amari would be likely to need anything he could afford.

"Would you like some help preparing dinner?" Jake asked. He did most of his cooking outside over an open fire, but he figured he could at least help with getting the duck out of the oven. Those roasting pans could be awfully heavy, after all.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Jake winked at Amari, and she found the gesture out of place; but she, being polite, did not say anything on the matter. She stiffened when she felt the heat of his palm on her back. As comforting as it was, it also sent heated sensations down her spine. The insidious sigil her brother placed on her at the age of 16 caused her to become easily aroused by the touch of the opposite gender. This was the first instance of said touch, other than her brother in those two years.

A rosy flush filled her cheeks, she shifted on the spot unsure of what these feelings were, beyond the fact that they were pleasant and irritating at the same time. His actions and words comforted her fears, she slowly released her grip on his other arm. Fingers shying away from the warmth of his skin. “Thank you kindly.” She breathed.

The two stood before the fire, its warmth leaking into their bones. Amari’s eyes focused on the flames, biting her upper lip as Jake continued to gently rub her back. Her hands found their way to the hem of her cream coloured dress. She clutched it tightly in her hands, fidgeting to take her mind off the various sensations coursing through her body. “Thank you, Jake.” She said, finally turning her eyes away from the flames to face him. Her cheeks at battle with her hair in a battle of red hues.

She found her eyes laid upon his brilliant green. They held a soft gaze, different from her brothers; whose eyes were normally narrowed. His lips were turned up into an innocent smile that she couldn’t help but return.

“I don’t need help, the pan is quite small.” She held up a single finger, “Remember, Jake, I was planning on dining alone tonight.”

Amari stepped to the side, away from Jake - and the myriad of feelings coursing through her started to settle. The crimson haired woman exhaled, relieved. “Take a seat.” She glanced down at his muddy shoes. “Please, take off those too. I can have them cleaned for you, if you like.” She grimaced, noticing the mud that was still being tracked through the place.

Turning on her heel, Amari headed back through to the dining room; pausing to light the hearth there, and the lanterns that dotted the place. It was a large hall. Tall windows on the right wall, and rich tapestries on the left. The room began to heat up, with the warmth of the fire and light. The woman smiled, heading back through to the kitchen then turning a corner to head downstairs, where a larger kitchen lay. There were multiple ovens and burners, a large preparation table in the centre, and bells lining the back wall for the servants to be called upon. Of course, now, the room was barely used.

Making for quick time, Amari set about taking out the roasting dish, bringing it upstairs into the smaller kitchen. She hummed to herself as she shifted the cooked items onto serving platters. Bringing each meticulously polished silverware platter into the dining hall.

On the edge of the table she had set the roasted duck, a steaming bowl of various root vegetables, a bowl of mashed potato, a large corn cob which had been cut into two, and to top it off - a vanilla cake adorned with berries. Two layers of thick cream strewn through the centre. For beverages, two glasses sat on the table, beside a bottle of deep red wine.

“Dinner is ready.” She called out toward Jake. Amari stood by the table, waiting for him to sit first. It was proper manners to have the men seated, and comfortable before her.

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    Left alone in the drawing room, Jake sat in the ladder-backed wooden chair and pulled his muddy boots off one at a time. He set them by the hearth to warm, thinking about how odd women were. He never could quite get a read on them. At first Amari had seemed all too willing to be close to him, and then she'd begun blushing and thanking him and pulling away. Typical, Jake told himself, although he was not quite old enough to know what was typical of women.

The half-elf stood in his stocking feet, warming his hands and toes next to the crackling fire. It seemed odd that Amari didn't want any help in the kitchen, but perhaps that was another Salvic custom. Even for an uninvited guest, perhaps the proper thing was for her to do all the work herself. I really must learn more about the cultures of the places I visit, Jake realized. He was all too prone to dropping in on a city just long enough to slay a demon and be on his way. He still had a lot to learn, after all.

Scrumptious smells meandered from the kitchen as Jake picked through the odds and ends on the mantle. Despite Amari's generosity he was thinking about stealing the expensive-looking silver bell from above the hearth, when he noticed the portrait that hung there for the first time. It showed two men, one middle aged, the other quite young. L'Olfsden and his son, Jake thought, but where is Amari? For a moment he entertained the idea that the flame-haired woman was also a thief, who had broken into the home for the night just like him. But who would break into a home and spend so much time cooking a meal? No, Amari was too familiar with the manor to be an outsider. She must truly be the kindest soul I've ever met, Jake thought.

Hearing Amari call to him, the youth left his boots by the fire and padded down to the dining room. The pleasant aromas from the variety of dishes nearly knocked him off his feet, and there Amari stood with her hands clasped, waiting for him.

"This all smells amazing," Jake said, green eyes taking in the roasted duck, heaps of vegetables, the cream covered cake and the bottle of wine. Is this how a wealthy family eats every night? He wondered. This must be why there's never enough food for the poor! He said nothing more, however, not wanting to criticize the girl's kindness.

"Here, Amari," Jake circled to the nearest chair and pulled it out for her, offering it up with small bow. Following the Coronian custom, he knew he should seat the lady before sitting down himself. "Please be seated milady," he said formally, resisting the urge to wink again. She hadn't winked back the first time. Perhaps people don't wink in Salvar, Jake reasoned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast