Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Emerald, yellow ring around iris
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari beamed proudly as Jake complimented her cooking. Eyes widening in delight. “You think so? I had it slow roasting for many an hour. I made sure to put the vegetables in near the end, so they wouldn’t dry out. By basting them in the -oh?” She paused as Jake pulled out a chair for her. Amari wasn’t acustomed to such...polite behaivour. Her father treated her as though she were the help, and her brother, well. He was much more hands on, but when in the presence of their father, he had to imitate the actions of the head of the house. She blushed, as he offered her a low bow. Amari dipped her head in response before taking a step back, quickly shaking her head. Being treated with such kindness in her own home? It didn’t feel right. “N-no, it’s fine. It’s fine.” She circled him, placing her palms on the mid of his chest, guiding him to sit down. “Please, Father and Brother always insisted that I seat them first.” Amari laughed, adding in a small joke, “Course, I was never able to join them at the table.” Amari pushed Jake’s chair in with a heave, with her arms still on the wooden back of the chair she leaned over him, red hair spilling over his shoulders, the crimson cascade brushing lightly against his cheeks. The scents of the forest wafted up from her. Flowers, trees, fresh grass- an odd scent from somewhere as desolate as Salvar.

Amari grinned. “It’ll be nice to have company.” She said, shifting her gaze to his. “I suppose it was almost a blessing to have you wander into my home. I am sure this is better than the bread and cheese you were planning to steal .”

The red headed woman let go of the chair and picked up a polished silver goblet; placing it in front of the half-elf. She opened the bottle of wine and poured him half a glass. “Here. Please enjoy this, I’ll be back in a few moments.”

“Wait- Amari…” Jake called out after her, but Amari either did not hear, or was too set in her conditioned ways.

She headed back through the drawing room and past the parlour - down the hall till she reached the bathroom. She got the ready, heating water and adding in essential oils and bath salts. The bath was far too hot to bathe in now, practically scalding. Once they had eaten, and rested - Amari was sure that the bath would be a suitable temperature for Jake, it’s how she had always done it for her brother, and she had hoped that the Half-Elf would be no different.

With a content sigh Amari turned and made haste back toward the dining room. “I’m sorry.” She said with a laugh. “I had to set the bath, by the time you’ve finished. It should be the perfect temperature.”

Amari sat down opposite Jake, and carefully cut herself off a large part of the Duck Breast. SHe set it on her plate, along with the corn, vegetables and bread.

She cleared her throat, glancing nervously up at him. Suddenly aware that he was watching her. “I uh…I’m not sure what constitutes as proper dining conversation. I’ve eaten alone as long as I can remember. So please Jake, forgive me if I say anything unbecoming. I can offer you a room for the night. I’ll have you stay in my brothers room, his is always very warm - and adjacent to mine.”

SHe paused, daintily cutting pieces of her meat off, and placing it in her mouth, chewing, swallowing and pausing her eating to talk again.

“There’s even a door that directly connects our two rooms. SO if you need anything, please don’t hesitate to let me know.” Amari laughed, “I’m sorry- is that strange? You did come in uninvited.”

EXP: 15,350, Level: 5
    Level completed: 23%, EXP required for next level: 4,650
    Level completed: 23%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,650
    GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    Jake dug in with deep appreciation, doing his best to wipe his chin with the fine cotton napkin whenever juices from the duck dribbled down. In truth he had tasted nothing so delicious in a long time. Perhaps it only felt that way because he was extra hungry, and perhaps Amari's company made it all the more pleasant. Jake dropped his fork onto his plate with a clatter when Amari mentioned the bath again. I must smell terrible, he decided, discreetly sniffing inside the collar of his green lace-up shirt. He'd rather liked the way Amari smelled... liked flowers and soap. See? Jake knew what bloody soap was.

"A connecting door? You don't say..." Jake wiped his mouth again and put down his napkin and fork. He absentmindedly twirled the corner of the tablecloth between two fingers while he watched Amari eat with precise, dainty movements. She seemed content enough alone in her world with an uninvited guest, but Jake was beginning to detect some deep sorrow in her. Perhaps it's because of her mother's death, he reasoned. Although Jake had never known his blood-parents, he'd had a mother growing up.

"Thank you for sharing your birthday with me Amari," Jake said, and then he had a brilliant idea. He stood up raised his glass to eye level as he'd seen men do in taverns so many times.

"A toast to Amari L'Olfsden on her birthday," he said, rather louder than usual. "The kindest lady it's ever been my good fortune to meet on my travels. Here here!" Jake sat down, cheeks glowing crimson. It had seemed like a better idea before he said it.

"This building's architecture is quite fine," he said, wanting to drive the discussion someplace else. He cast his green gaze over the stone masonry and supporting wooden beams that comprised the room. "Nicely decorated too," he commented, eyeing the thick Fallieni throw rug. "It reminds me a bit of another place I broke into."

"Believe it or not, I didn't break in to steal anything," Jake smiled, warming to the idea of sharing a story from his adventures. "I had hunted this particular fire demon to a small village near Serenti, in Corone. He was after some mining interests owned by the local lord, and I had good information that he'd broken into the lord's manor, but nothing was taken." Jake paused for effect, raising his eyebrows and leaning forward in his seat. "I figured he must have broken in and copied the information he needed. So I picked the lock and sneaked in and found out the location of the mine." He picked up his knife and stabbed the air. "Three days later I slew that same demon in that very mine."

Feeling as though he had said enough, Jake picked up his fork and resumed eating, intent on finishing every morsel on his plate.

"This really is delicious," he mumbled around a mouthful of mashed potato.
    Jake Narmolanya - Child of Concordia

EXP: 38,655, Level: 8
    Level completed: 41%, EXP required for next level: 5,345
    Level completed: 41%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,345
    GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    The way the two ate were polar opposites. Amari took careful, precise bites. She didn’t find a need for the cotton napkin. For she made no spills. No noises when she ate. She refused to speak till she had finished her mouthful and politely placed her cutlery to the side.

Jake.

Jake on the other hand, ate with gusto - the type of ferocity that people who went days without food ate. He consumed without a care for manners or polite company. He ate for the pure joy and sensation of eating. For the tastes, the smells, the feeling of being full. He at least had the grace to wipe his mouth, unfortunately that didn’t extend to speaking with a full mouth. Every so often Amari had to politely wipe a piece of food from her face, one that had made the long, arduous trip from his mouth to her soft, pale skin.

If it had bothered the woman, she didn’t show it. “I’m glad you seem to be enjoying it, Jake.” Her smile faltered as his fork clattered to the plate. She gave him a questioning stare. “Are you ok?” His nose wrinkled, and he sniffed himself - but Amari did not make the connection to the bath. Whatever it was that bothered him, he quickly recovered from it. The woman gave a sigh of relief. He mentioned the door again, a tone of curiosity in his voice.

Amari nodded, finishing what was on her plate. She set her cutlery down neatly. “Yes. Brother insisted.” She didn’t understand his fascination with that small fact, but, Amari didn’t understand a lot of things, she lived a very sheltered life with warped perceptions on what was and wasn’t socially acceptable. Jake thanked her and Amari smiled warmly at him. “No, no. Thank you. I’ve honestly not spoken to someone for such lengths of time. It’s…” She paused, lips pursing as she tried to find the right words. “It’s really...mmm….it’s a new experience. I- ah...er.r..”

She stammered, as Jake stood, his knees knocking the table. She quickly picked up her own goblet to stop it from being knocked over. He perfomed a toast toward her, but having never seen the action before Amari just awkwardly imitated it from her seated position. “A- ah...toast?” She held the goblet out to him before taking a small sip from it. She was used to the rich wine, having often drinking it with her meals. It seemed that Jake did not have the same tolerance as her.

“Jake, wil you b-”

He interrupted her. Commenting on her home. Amari glanced up her gaze following his. “Oh.” She hadn’t thought too much about the intricacies of architecture. “Is that something that interests you?” His answer was an entire story. She politely listened, enjoying the exuberant motions he used, and the enthusiasm in his voice. Every so often she laughed.

Jake seemed to move thrice the pace as her - shifting from one subject ot the other, shovelling food into his face as though he were afraid he’d never enjoy it again. “I can organise some food for you to take with you if you’d like.” Amari stood, leaning over the table to cut into the small, decadent cake. She placed a piece onto a small plate and placed it next to Jake before cutting one for herself. She slowly dug into it, enjoying the tangy sweet sensations. She made quick work of her slice of cake, and was reasonably full.

“Once you’re done, I’ll have you undress so I can launder your clothes, and boots.” Jake gave her a horrified look, and Amari was confused as to why. She had always been forced to undress her brother. Was it not the custom where he was from? “Don’t worry. I’ll have a thick gown for you to rest in.”

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    Jake opened his mouth to speak, but could think of nothing to say. He'd never met a woman so intent on removing his clothing. He picked up the smaller fork meant for cake and sliced a wedge of the cream-covered dessert, scooping it into his still open mouth. He chewed slowly, to give himself time to think.

If Amari really did want him... as in, want him, why didn't she just say so? Jake knew what to do with women who wanted him. He'd done it a handful of times with serving girls in the dark when inns got slow for the night. None of those girls had ever been shy about telling him. There was an innocence to the way Amari talked about bathing. At first it had seemed part of a ruse, but the more she brought it up, the more Jake had to wonder. If this was some strange Salvic custom, how had he never heard of it? Perhaps it was unique to her family, perhaps the women of the household always saw their guests bathed and their clothes laundered.

Perhaps.

Jake weighed his options as he licked cake crumbs from his fingers. It seemed he only had two; leave, or give in to Amari's requests and take a bath. Jake could see himself treading back out into the night and finding an empty house to hole up in for the night. Of course, he wouldn't be able to have a fire, lest he alert the neighbors to his presence. And he'd be eating cold bread and cheese for breakfast the next day, at best. And he'd have no company. After all, why not stay with Amari for the night? She seemed to enjoy his company as much as he did hers, and come to that, it was about time for Jake's weekly bath anyway. He wiped his mouth.

"Alright," he said, still somewhat resistant, "show me to the bathing room, I suppose."

Amari hopped to her feet happily and beckoned for him to follow. She led him through the drawing room, past the parlor, and into a tile floored bathroom. The large tub was set against an external wall, already full of warm water that emitted sweet perfumes into the air.

"Thanks Amari, errm... I'll put my clothes in the hall for you, shall I?" Jake stammered.

For a long while Amari stood waiting, as if expecting something. Her hands fluttered for a moment as if reaching for his shirt, but then settled. Jake stared at her incredulously. What is she doing? he wondered. He glanced at the open door, and Amari seemed to take his meaning. She exited into the hallway, and Jake closed the door behind her.

Had she expected him to disrobe in front of her? That couldn't be a part of Salvic hospitality. Someone would have told Jake about that. The half elf took the eagle feather quill out of his pocket and set it on the windowsill by the tub, and then quickly shrugged out of his clothes, removing everything except the black sifan scarf he wore around his neck. He passed his shirt, pants, jacket, cloak, boots, and cap out to Amari and then got into the tub slowly. The warm water climbed up his body as he sat down, easing pains left over from walking all day that he hadn't noticed until right then.

Jake leaned back in the tub and took a deep breath of the perfumed air, letting his chest sink beneath the surface. Perhaps this had been a good idea after all.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari waltzed into the bathroom, unabashed, and unashamed. She had never been taught humility, rather, the opposite. She was taught by her brother how to ‘behave’ for him. Amari, having never been anywhere near anyone other than her family, only assumed that it translated to others as well. Amari, in all her sheltered innocence, was simply trying to do the right thing.

So, when she walked into the room topless, cradling a small wooden pail with soaps, and cloths in it, she assumed it was a normal thing to do. “Jake.” She said, announcing her presence. “I’ve washed your clothing and it is hung to dry by the ovens downstairs. If they are not done by morning, I’ll be sure to provide you with adequete clothing.”

She approached the side of the bath, she wore nothing but a thick towel around her torso. “Now, we have lavender or lemon. Which would you prefer?”

Jake turned to face her, his mouth agape, gulping as if he was struggling to find air. His eyes travelled down her form, the curvature of her pert breasts, and her hips. He quickly rose his eyes back up to her, “L..Lemon!”

Amari smiled, placing the pail on the floor. “That’s my favourite too. Brother adores the lavender though.” She poured the thick liquid onto the washcloth, then dipped the cloth into the water, running it gently over his back. “I hope the water’s fine.”

“It’s fine.” Jake quickly replied, with another gulp.

“Good.” Amari continued to wash his back, gently lifting his arms. Running the cloth over the ripples of his toned arms. “I know brother prefers it when I’m more rough, but, you said you don’t bathe often right?” Amari asked, she didn’t wait for a reply. “And you’re not from Salvar, to be honest - you’re the first person I’ve ever spoken to outside of family. So I hope I’m treating you adequately enough.”

Amari poured more of the lemon scented liquid into the cloth, and repeated her actions. Her delicate fingers tracing over his collar bone. Amari shifted her position to sit in front of him. She noticed his eyes focused down on the waters grimy surface. His cheeks flushed a furious red. Her brow furrowed with concern.

“Are you sure it’s not to hot?” She dropped the cloth and leaned closer, placing the palm of her hand against his forehead. “You look fevered.”

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    Jake was beset by a fever; a fever of arousal and confusion. He'd been rather enjoying Amari's ministrations until she mentioned her brother. Did she really say she washes him? The half elf wondered. He hadn't been paying the closest attention to her words in that moment, and he didn't want to be the one to bring it up.

"I'm fine," Jake said, still studying the soapy water. "I'm quite comfortable," he lied.

Eventually Amari finished her washing and took her leave. Jake climbed out of the tepid tub, surprised as usual at how grimy the water had become. Perhaps I ought to bathe more often... he thought. Of course, Jake did not exactly have a bathroom of his own to wash in. When he wanted a tub back home, he had to pay for it at one of the better inns around town. He donned the thick robe Amari had thoughtfully set out for him and tucked his eagle quill inside one of its voluminous pockets.

Between the heavy meal and the warm bath Jake was already beginning to feel sleepy; he was unused to such luxuries and they relaxed his mind and body. He wandered the rooms of the L'Olfsden manor barefoot, breathing deep and feeling content. He'd certainly chosen well that night, breaking into a home that came with a smiling host. Jake yawned as he meandered down a long hallway, trying to find his way back to the kitchens where his clothes were drying. He could have portalled there in an instant - he remembered the look of the room rightly enough - but was enjoying the slow walk through the lavishly decorated manor.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Jake said he was fine, and despite her concerns about his well being, Amari held her tongue. There was no use in attempting to push a matter once he assured her with such finality. The sounds of the wash cloth gently hitting the water was the only noise between the two, as they fell into an awkward silence. Amari, not knowing what to say nor how to deal with extended social interaction, and Jake - a young boy who didn’t know how to deal with rolling urges and a seemingly naive woman.

Amari finished bathing his upper half, she hesitated - normally, at this stage, she’d start on the lower half but Jake sat unmoving. The tips of his pointed ears and his cheeks still flush with a bright red. Amari let the cloth fall into the depths of the murky bathwater. Deciding it’d be best to let him finish, perhaps it was a custom of theirs to bathe themselves? Amari didn’t want to insult her guest. “I’ll take my leave now.” Amari said, as she stood, she gestured to a thick, dark robe to the corner. “Change into that when you’re ready. I’ll go prepare my brothers room for you. Amari offered him a small bow, thick crimson locks spilling over milky, bare shoulders. She offered him one last concerned look, “Please tell me if you need anything. I’ll go prepare my brothers room for you.” She said softly before leaving him to his own devices.

As she left the room, she shut the door with a click and sighed heavily. Leaning her bare back against the wooden door. “Did I do something wrong?” She asked herself, glancing up at the ceiling. With a slight shake of her head, she dismissed her concerns. “He did say he was ok.” She murmured to herself. Amari had to trust his judgement, she was usually scolded by Lamont, her brother, for her lack of understanding basic social cues and expectations.

Amari pushed herself off the door and picked up the silken gown she had been wearing earlier. Dropping the towel to the floor, she slipped the delicate, off white material over her lithe form.

Amari yawned, feeling fatigue setting in, but she had no time to rest. She headed toward the kitchen to ready the bed warmer. A metal container fitted with a long, polished wooden handle. She carefully placed hot coals from the still heated ovens into it and carried it into her brothers room. Salvar nights were cold; and it was clear her guest was not used to them. So Amari thought that he’d appreciate the gesture. She placed the bed warmer under the thick covers of the mattress and smoothed out the wrinkles in her brothers bed.

His desk was fairly clean, aside from the old book he always had his nose in, but Amari couldn’t read the scratchy, golden, guilded writing on the cover. Nor did she care to. She wasn’t going to snoop around in her brothers affairs.

Just as Amari was leaving her brothers room, she caught sight of Jake.

“Oh. Jake.” She gestured toward the room. “You’ll be sleeping in here tonight, let me know if its suitable. In the mean time, I’ll gather your clothes and shoes.” She offered him a short curtsy before passing him in the hall.

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    Jake was ready to well and truly believe that all Salvic women behaved like servants. Amari seemed so natural in the role, curtsying to him as they passed in the hall and pointing him at her brother's room. The door was heavy brass plated oak, and opened into a large bedroom dominated by a king size canopy bed. Fine mahogany end tables sat on either side of the blanket and pillow strewn bed, and thick rugs covered the floors. Jake walked into the room and closed the door, and like any good thief, immediately searched for valuables.

First he looked in an old ulder armoire to the left of the door, its wood greying with age. He peered behind hanging clothing and sorted through folded shirts, and rooted through a drawer full of useless odds and ends. Amari's brother seemed bookish; the drawer contained more than one quill and inkwell, and large shelf lined with dusty volumes stood next to the armoire. Jake pulled one book out, and then another. His face fell in disappointment when the action failed to activate any hidden mechanisms. He detoured around a strange piece of glasswork on an iron stand and searched one end table and then the other, finding little more than some old handkerchiefs and some well-thumbed paperback volumes.

Never easily deterred, Jake lifted up the heavy mattress and felt around beneath it. His hand came into contact with something soft and rectangular, and he pulled the small book out.

It was not like the others, bound with expensive leather and inset with a much finer grade of paper. Jake opened it to the first page and read the tidy handwriting.

Journal of Lamont L'Olfsden said the first page. Jake wondered what treasures the clues inside might lead him to. What kinds of things would a rich boy write in his journal? He turned the page.

The next few pages were covered in drawings of strange symbols, some with accompanying archaic words that Jake did not understand. He turned another page.

I reproduced the sigils here as best I could, it read in the same neat hand as before, the intricacy made it difficult, but I believe my attention to detail will have merit. I find this forbidden volume fascinating, and had to read the entire section on sex hex magicks in order to know what to copy. After practicing in my journal, I replicated the symbols on Mari, and they worked! The first is designed to... Jake was about to turn the page again when he heard footsteps in the hall. His pointed ears quivered and he quickly slid the journal back under the mattress and lay down as if lounging on the bed.

The door opened on well oiled hinges and in walked Amari, carrying his clothes and looking like a finely dressed serving girl.

"Hmm, yes." Jake said, allowing his head to loll on the downy pillow, "this room should do just fine, Amari."
    Last edited by Jake Narmolanya; 01-17-17 at 08:10 PM.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari returned with his clean clothes folded neatly in her arms. Pristine boots sitting atop them. She pushed the door open with her hip. Seeing Jake make himself comfortable, lounging deep within the feathery down pillows made Amari smile. Something about the scene, it comforted her. "I'm glad." She said with an earnest smile. "Really, I am." She wasn't sure how else to express her feelings to the young lad. Despite their....odd circumstances, she had really come to enjoy his company.

Amari approached, placing the clothing on the bedside table. "All clean and dry." Amari said, quite proudly. She took pride in her work, she turned to Jake and gave the clothes a few small pats. "They'll smell quite lovely for a few days too."

Jake shifted awkwardly on the bed. His hand darted behind his back and seemed to shove something underneath the covers. Amari, however, paid the suspicious action no mind. "Is there anything else you need?"

Jake sat up, his brows furrowed. Green eyes staring curiously at her. "Can you tell me about your brother?" He paused. "I'm staying in his room, so thought it might be nice to know more about him."

Amari blinked. At first, she couldn't fathom why the youth would want to know more about her family, but his explanation. (As bad as it was) was enough to put her at ease. Amari shifted and sat down on the bed next to him. "My brother...." She mused softly. "He's alwas been very, very kind to me. As you know , my father was never fond of me, but Lamont...."

Amari glanced down, and started playing with a loose thread on her silken gown. "Lamont...he always played with me. He taught me the basics of reading and writing. He taught me how to act, how to behave in front of others. If it weren't for him. I'd - well. I don't know where I'd be." Amari laughed. "He has these odd...tendencies, he believes in 'good luck charms' and the like. Even painted a few on me once. Such an odd brother..."

"I see..."

Jake didn't sound too enthusiastic. Amari gave him a worried look. "A-are you ok?" The half elf shook his head, then feigned a yawn. "No, I mean...yawns yes Mis- I mean Yes Amari. I'm just tired."

"Oh! Oh! I'm so sorry!" Amari pushed herself off the bed. "I've been babbling far too long, please - get some rest." She pointed to the door which connected the two rooms. "Please, feel free to ask me of anything to aid you tonight." Amari offered Jake a small bow.

"F-For what it's worth Jake." Amari said, "I've had a wonderful evening. This may just have been the best birthday I could possibly ask for." She glanced up at him, absently chewing her lower lip. Amari was tired, but she didn't exactly want to leave him. She wanted to talk to him some more. She wanted to hear his stories and watch his strange mannerisms. She wanted to see the way his ears twitched and moved with his emotions, but instead of voicing any of those things...Amari bowed and excused herself, heading toward the door.

"Goodnight, Jake."

And with that, she disappeared through the door.

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    Jake waited a few minutes after Amari had closed the door and then rose silently, dressing in the darkness. His pressed pants and shirt warmed his relaxed body, and the security of having boots on his feet once more made him feel at ease. He put on his jacket and tucked his magic quill inside of it, safely in the pocket where he always kept the treasured item. He listened for a moment, pointed ears quivering, but heard nothing from the other room. Setting his mouth in a firm line, Jake reached under the mattress once more and retrieved the journal. His cheeks colored and a twisted feeling formed in his gut as he conjured a handful of fire for light and read from where he'd left off.

The first is designed to prevent her from achieving orgasm, the journal read, while the second will make her exceedingly aroused at the slightest touch from a male. Holding these powers over her, I hope to shape her into my perfect plaything... my doll. The taboo of her being my sister enthralls me, even if she is not fully related to me by blood. She is intoxicating, and I want her all for myself.

Jake shuddered as he turned the page. He felt ill. He remembered the way Amari had reacted when he touched her earlier... the sudden flush in her cheeks. It must have been the work of her brother's arcane experiments. Jake swallowed, his throat bobbing emphatically, and read on.

That is why I plan to place the third and final sigil on her after her eighteenth birthday. It will bring her fully under my control; her thoughts and actions will become an extent of my whims and wants. Like this my little sister will finally serve her proper purpose, and I will use her as I see fit. If she does not satisfy me, I plan to have father send her to live with the Church of the Ethereal Sway. Perhaps they will make some use of her; I have read much about their...

Jake shut the book with a snap. He could read no more. Lamont L'Olfsden was a demon in human form, not at all unlike the creatures he hunted. And he had poor Amari caught up in his clutches. Small wonder the young woman had enjoyed Jake's company so much... she was habituated to the ministrations of a monster. Jake breathed deeply, forcing himself to cool the raging fire that grew in his gut. Amari would never understand if he killed her brother, and nor would the Salvic authorities. Jake reached inside his jacket and touched the enchanted eagle quill, the soft fringes of the feather calming him. It would be better to take Amari with him... yes, immediately.

Jake sprang up from the bed and crossed to the door separating the two bedrooms. He knocked lightly, and then a little louder, and then pulled the door open a crack.

"Amari?" He whispered through the crack, "I need to talk to you about something. Now. I'm coming in..."

Hoping that she was dressed, he sidled into the room, still holding a handful of fire for light. The flickering flames cast shadows on his face as he stood at the foot of Amari's bed. He made sure she was fully awake before speaking.

"Amari I don't know how to say this but I... I found your brother's journal. I know what he did to you." That got little reaction from the Salvic girl, so Jake went on, stumbling over his words. "It's not right, Amari. It's not normal. It's wrong. He's taking advantage of you, and he plans to do much worse. See for yourself." He tossed the journal onto Amari's blankets. "He's going to turn you into a slave of some sort, and if that doesn't work, he plans to send you away... Amari, you should come with me, right now. I can make a portal back to Corone. You'll be safe and happy there, with lots of friends, and you won't have any trouble finding work at an inn..." Jake gestured helplessly with his free hand. "Just say you will. I can't bear the thought of you left alone here with your brother."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast