Light blonde.
    Eye Color
    A bright, pupil-less green.
    Build
    4'1" / 52 lb
    Job
    Picker of Pockets.

View Profile
    Escape, escape, escape. The only thing standing between Fenn and the delicious freedom he so craved was those stupid iron bars.

Amari gazed up at them with him, the gold flickers in her eyes twinkling as they reflected the pale sunlight. "They're old,” she said thoughtfully. “Slightly rusted. I was considering having you freeze them, so we could… I think that'd ruin their integrity I guess… I mean the snow's done that enough as is… but..." Her voice kept fading away with uncertainty. Fenn sighed and stared down at his burned digit with her. "That's not an option. I don't even know if it'd work."

As Amari went to put away her plate, the Fae shrugged and peered under his frozen bandage. His burn was still black, and the skin was crispy and stiff. Gross. He made a face and replaced the wrappings carefully, making a note to himself to give Amari a few of the cheap strips of bandage he had stashed somewhere in his satchel in turn. It only seemed fair to return her favor.

The next time Fenn looked at Amari, there she was, standing on the oven and taking a careful look at the rusty bars. Humans didn't have fucking ice powers, he thought, startled. There was this twitchy knee jerk reaction in him to get her off of there right away, but… she seemed able to handle herself here. Her feet were away from the coils, and the oven was cool enough over all. He wondered, rubbing the back of his neck with a wobbly smile, if that had been how she had felt about seeing him climb onto the hot surface for the first time.

"Mmmm..." she muttered, shaking the bar. "Maybe we could heat them up? Would that work?"

Fenn snorted and gave her a slow nod back, nearly equivalent to a shrug. He’d read somewhere that rapid heating and cooling had some sort of effect on metal. What was it? Shattering, breaking, weakening? Either way, it was the only idea they had to work with at the moment, even if it didn’t seem the most workable.

Just when he was about to bend down and etch another reply on the floor, there was a ruckus from outside as the band of bandits wrapped up their breakfast and left the building. Fenn shuddered to think of what sorts of things they were going out and doing. Amari hopped down and began running water into the sink. As she began mixing up soapy water for the dishes she would have to deal with, she continued talking to Fenn. "We will figure out a way to do that, hoping that the melting ice won’t douse whatever it is we use to heat the iron bars," she told him confidently.

The Fae gnawed on one of his ragged fingernails, looking skeptical. He was more worried about getting something powerful enough to heat the iron in the first place. It was doubtful that a torch or candle would be anything near enough…

On second thought, he realized, there was a better way to deal with this mess than with fire. His eyes lit up with delight.

"Once everyone clears out, if you want to help me - collect the dishes," Amari said, opening the door with wet hands and peering out at the mess the bandits made. The tables they had eaten at weren’t very clean; syrup dribbled off the edges of plates, and there were flecks of scrambled eggs by the forks. Fenn nodded back at her vacantly, listening just enough to understand what she asked of him. Already, he was forming a plan in his head. “Leave the cutlery, I'll grab that. Okay?”

He nodded and bounced over to the nearest table, taking the plates from it and stacking them up in his arms. These plates were way bigger than the ones Amari had him eat off of! The tiny Fae staggered back to the kitchen after her, just barely able to carry all twelve of the plates without dropping any.

They set the dinnerware on the counter. Fenn peered into the sink with a little frown. Obviously, him sticking his hands into the dishwater was a no-no. That was okay - he had other things to work on. While Amari dealt with the dirty dishes, Fenn began rushing around, so excited as to become briefly oblivious to anything besides his work.

He bobbled back over to the cupboards and grabbed another jar of jam. There was a foxish quality to his smirk as he kneeled down on the floor and poured some of it out - if he was going to write out this idea of his for Amari to see, he couldn’t have it melting on him. Once it had spread out enough, he stuck his fingers in the puddle and outlined in a mix of pictures and words, working fast enough to draw down everything he needed to before the jelly froze solid to the stones.

What was another mess when he had the perfect plan to show Amari? (Besides, he resolved that he would clean this one up himself.)

Once it was written out, he stood up and looked it over once more, turning several points over in his brain again and again. Though Fenn couldn’t directly touch the iron, his frost would definitely be able to creep up the bars if he touched the window sill.
    He leapt onto the oven and peered at the bars again for a moment; just as he thought, they were installed a bit messily. There was a bit of a gap between them and the stone they were inset into, and they were surprisingly close to the inside edge of the window. Dangerously close.

The expansivity of ice was a powerful force, Fenn knew. If they could get some liquid inside the cracks and freeze it, it might just crumble the wall at the base of the bars. There was a chance that the bars would then become loose enough to pull out. Once they were gone, and he had his stuff back, Fenn'd be happily on his way.

If Mari decided to look at the jelly smears he had left behind, it was a jumbled mess of words and pictures, the latter of which depicted a jar of jam poured onto the bars, a close-up of the cracks between the bars and the stone, and a crossed-out picture of a fire next to the word SORRY. Evidently, he had this more or less figured out.
    Last edited by FennWenn; 11-17-16 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Tweaky-freaky!
    "I’m funny, so they let me live." - Skippy's List

The Wiki Matriarch. Always free to roleplay! I also play all these guys, so take a look at them too!

CUE THEMESONGS!

EXP: 38,655, Level: 8
    Level completed: 41%, EXP required for next level: 5,345
    Level completed: 41%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,345
    GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Emerald, yellow ring around iris
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari watched as Fenn went out to grab the plates. It was a small gesture, but she figured he’d want to help her in some way. Despite knowing his real age, it was difficult to see him in such a way. The way the fae man bounced around, the earnest expressions on his face. The way his eyes lit up at the simplest of notions - it was a childlike innocence Amari had lost long, long ago.

As Fenn returned with the plates Amari helped him, and dumped them into the water to soak. She quickly left and returned with the cutlery, placing them to the side. “I still need to clean the hall. Damnit…” she muttered, “I swear they shove half into their mouths, and the other they throw onto the floor.”

She started cleaning the dishes, setting them on the rack beside her to dry. She was faintly aware of Fenn rattling around behind her - but she didn’t have the time to pause. She had to finish the dishes, clean the mess hall, clean the kitchen, wash their clothes, prepare lunch - do all the cleaning, again

“I hate this place...You’re lucky you can escape.” Amari muttered bitterly - her back still toward him. If Amari could fit between those bars, she would have weaseled her way out months, years ago.

With a sigh, Amari placed the last dish beside her, wiping her hands on a towel. “There.” She turned around, “I need to clean the mess hall, if you want to help I-” She paused.

More mess. More Precious jam wasted.

Amari went through a myriad of looks which were clearly portrayed on her face. Surprise, frustration, worry….finally she settled back on annoyance.

“Fenn…” She muttered.

“You do realize this is going to get me in trouble right? They keep inventory of this, they’re going to assume I’ve gorged on two jars of jam.” She approached the messy drawings, kneeling down to inspect them. “Because of this. Because of you. I’m probably not going to eat for a few days when they find out.” She muttered. She was blunt, but she was frustrated. This was the second time in the same number of days. “Aren’t you supposed to be an adult?”

She shook her head, muttering an apology. “Sorry. It was uncalled for.” She glanced down at his scrawlings. Her brows furrowed. He crossed out the fire. Assumedly, heat was a no go. He drew what looked like a jar of jam, followed by the words sorry. “Mmm..” Amari got up, wandered over to the sink and picked up the wash cloth. She headed back to the jam smeared over the tiles and began to scrub it off.

As Amari was scrubbing, the door to the mess hall creaked open. Thom poked his head through the door. “Yo, can’t stay long.” He produced a familiar satchel and dropped it on the floor, noticing Amari scrubbing the floor he gave her a puzzled look. “Not like you ta make a mess Amari.”

“No, it’s not.” She said, glancing up at him then the satchel. “Is that all of his belongings?” She darted her eyes to Fenn. Who seemed elated at the sight of his bag.

“Aye, his clothes are in there. We got a hike ahead o’ us. If ye give us an hour, that should give ya a good chance to get the boy out.” He gave a nod to Fenn. His voice turning stern.

“Hope yer appreciate this.”

And with that, he shut the door. Leaving Amari and Fenn alone once more.

Amari gestured to the bag with her head, her hands still busy cleaning up his mess. “Go check to see if everything’s there. I’ll finish up here.”

Cinnamon Smol
    EXP: 11,110, Level: 4
    Level completed: 43%, EXP required for next level: 2,890
    Level completed: 43%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,890
    GP

Name
    Fennik Glenwey.
    Race
    Fae.
    Hair Color
    Light blonde.
    Eye Color
    Build
    4'1" / 52 lb
    Job
    Picker of Pockets.

View Profile
    Fenn waited cheerfully by the escapade plans he had formed, rocking a little in place as Amari turned to see them. “I need to clean the mess hall, if you want to help I-” she began, his genius stealing the breath from her. Or, so he thought at first. Her face was not displaying the wonder at his plans that he had expected. A few different emotions cycled over her countenance, quickly deciding upon “ticked”.

The best response he had to this odd negativity was to slump over in a way that made him look and feel even smaller, his sticky-cold hands clasped sheepishly behind his back. It seemed that there were some things he had not taken into account when he was busy with his plans.

“Fenn…” she muttered bluntly as she bent over to inspect his work. “You do realize this is going to get me in trouble right? They keep inventory of this, they’re going to assume I’ve gorged on two jars of jam.” Shit. Fenn stopped rocking and stood stiffly on end. The self-satisfied smile was slapped clean off his face by her words. “Because of this. Because of you. I’m probably not going to eat for a few days when they find out. Aren’t you supposed to be an adult?”

The last sentence stung quite a bit. He wasn't really sure what he was or wasn't supposed to be right now.

Fenn kind of wanted to slam his head into the wall. Now he was the idiot for not noting the obvious, wasn't he? Hiding a pinched grimace of panic, Fenn turned away and chewed at the nubs of his fingernails. Amari piped up again. “Sorry. It was uncalled for.” It wasn't. He waved a hand with a cracked casual demeanor, dismissing the add-on. A glance over his shoulder revealed that she was still looking at his scribbles. Gods, he hoped that she understood enough of his scrawl.

As she began scrubbing it up, the Fae rushed to the sink, hoping there was a second washcloth in there. A mocking voice in the back of his head told him he’d be very helpful if he licked up the jam instead. He brushed it off with a sharp shake of his head - he was “supposed to be an adult”. But before he could he even do any washcloth-grabbing or otherwise try to fix his mess, the door to the hall creaked open.

For a moment, he was terrified by the thought that Gabe was about to peer in, and that his carelessness would throw her into even more trouble. Instead, it was merely Thom. Clutched in his hands was Fenn's beloved bag, which he dropped to the ground. The Fae quivered in happy surprise. “Yo, can’t stay long,” Thom said, eying the messy floor with puzzlement. “Not like you ta make a mess Amari.”

Were it that he could, Fenn would have explained that the mess was a product of a brainstorming he hadn't quite thought through. “No, it’s not,” Mari replied in his place. Grayish flush tinged his cheeks, and he was torn between embarrassment at his mistake and his excitement at seeing his stuff again.

His love of his stuff won out. “Is that all of his belongings?” Mari asked as the tiny Fae dove for his bag, flipping it open to rummage through and make sure that his hoar- er, collection was all there. He barely listened as Thom continued on. “Aye, his clothes are in there. We got a hike ahead o’ us. If ye give us an hour, that should give ya a good chance to get the boy out.”

Fenn glanced up in time to catch Thom’s nod and the hardness in his voice. “Hope yer appreciate this.”

The Fae nodded back sagely and stuck his head into the opening of his satchel. It’s familiar, musty smell made him feel better already. He sighed and removed his head, hugging the satchel tightly as he noted that Thom had already left. Amari caught his gaze gestured to his bag with her head, still working away at the jam on the floor. It was melting now. He really wished he’d just risked the melt and gone with frost in the first place. “Go check to see if everything’s there. I’ll finish up here,” she said, working at the jam-smeared stone.

Way ahead of her. Fenn sifted through the contents of his satchel with a critical eye; someone had pulled out his food and his miscellaneous bits of cheap jewelry, but the rest of his trinkets were thankfully left alone. That was a relief. He smiled and supposed that none of the bandits had been particularly interested in brass pins, empty wallets, bottle corks, snailshells, buttons, or…

Oh, right. The Fae rolled his eyes. That stuff was “junk” to them. To him, they were memories.

He held up a pair of gray marbles and peered through their glossy surface. These, for instance, came from that time he had wandered through a small, brier-strewn village and- on second thought, he didn't want to recall that escapade at the moment. Best to save that for any time he needed a horror story.

Time to stop goofing off. Fenn replaced his trinkets and pulled out a few strips of random and wildly colorful cloth - “bandages” - and his clothes. He grinned down at his white shirt and his tattered green cloak. They had even found his breeches and tucked them in there as well. Making sure that Mari wasn't looking at him, he threw off the red shirt he had borrowed earlier and pulled on his own clothes. Having his things back made him feel complete again. Slinging his satchel over his shoulder, he picked up the bright “bandages” and tore over to the pantry, slipping them in with the rest of Mari’s stuff. Since his finger was okay for the moment, he took the frozen frozen wrappings off of his hand and replaced them as well.

If only he could do more. He wouldn't have time to help her with the mess hall, not if they wanted him out of here before the bandits came back. They only had an hour.

Fenn padded over to the watery puddle that had mostly replaced his jam mess and kneeled down in front of Amari. Her multihued eyes, still dulled with annoyance, focused up on him.
    His hands were clasped together in a quiet plead for forgiveness. He glanced down at the last dab of jam and swiped it up with the corner of his stained cloak, looking back up at her expectantly.

How would they proceed forward next?
    Last edited by FennWenn; 11-21-16 at 04:03 PM.

The Wiki Matriarch. Always free to roleplay! I also play all these guys, so take a look at them too!

CUE THEMESONGS!

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari continued to slowly clean up the mess- the hot water melted the ice crystals that was once a strawberry jam. Amari sighed. When was the last time she actually had jam? Memories of her and her brother, sneaking in late night snacks in their adolescence filtered into her mind. Amari stopped cleaning.

Leaning back she exhalled again; she missed those days. She missed her brother, gods be damned she even missed her father. Amari wasn’t entirely sure why she hadn’t been found - why her brother hadn’t tried looking for her, but she had to hold out some sort of hope - that she’d be wrenched free from this piss soaked hell hole. She shifted her gaze to Fenn. He was going through his belongings, carefully inspecting them. It was difficult to see him as anything other than a child, what with the way he acted - how easily he shied away from conflict. Amari couldn’t blame him, this place...it bought out the worst in people.

Amari couldn’t imagine anything worse than being stuck here.

Amari had grown used to this place, she had learned real quick to harden up, she had always been steadfast. Her brother complaining that she was too strong willed. Amari feared that Fenn wasn’t the same. He seemed so timid at times and it took a great deal of effort not to bring the fae child..err..adult into her bosom and comfort him.

He’s an adult.

Amari had to remind herself. Constantly of this fact. She glanced up as he shifted, placing what looked like tatterd rags into her belongings. She pursed her lips, repeating the thoughts in her head as though they were a mantra.

He’s an adult.

Fenn padded over to her apologetically, kneeling in front of her as though he were begging for forgiveness.

He’s an adult.

She reached out to him.

He’s a mother fucking adult.

She ruffled his hair and offered him a small smile.

He’s an adult. But I can’t help my damn self.

“It’s fine.” She stood, allowing the rag to sit on the floor. “I fall into habbits, cleaning and such.” Her eyes drifted up to the bars. “We should focus on getting you out whilst we still can. I didn’t really understand a lot of what you drew.”

Amari headed toward the oven and lit the burnersl grabbing pans out from the cupboard she filled them with water. “But, first, we’re going to melt as much of that water and ice away from the bars as we can. It’s daytime, so the water won’t freeze for a while.” She glanced over at Fenn. “Pending magical fairy men interferring.” She mused with a wry grin.

It was clear that she was trying to make up for her earlier outburst with forced pleasentries. Amari didn’t know what the hell she was doing, she didn’t really know how Fenn was going to escape. She was worried for his safety. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she was worried about her own. When Gabe learns that she helped him escape…

It was best not to think about it.

The various pots began to boil, and Amari - using another rag wrapped the handles and turned the oven off. She began to procarious climb onto the oven to reach the iron bars. She had to be careful, one wrong step and she’d end up with a- “FUCK!”

Amari almost dropped the pot she was holding. She did exactly what she had vowed not to. The side of her heel had landed on one of the coils. “Shit…” She hissed, she had no time to worry about the pain. WIth shaky hands she sat the pot on top of the windowsill. Ice began to melt and slide down into the kitchen. The heat from the metal alone was enough.

Amari’s legs buckled and she had to hobble off the oven, collapsing into the pile of rags that served as her bed and living quarters.

“Shit…” The burn wasn’t too bad, but her skin was red, and parts of it had peeled away. It wasn’t long enough, nor deep enough to sustain any lasting damage, but it still hurt.

It was just one thing after another.

“Give me a minute...then I’ll…” She paused. Glancing back up at the iron bars.

Melting the ice with a heat source?
    Check.

Removing the bars?
    Not a clue.

“Wanna explain your plan again, Fenn?”

Cinnamon Smol
    GP

Name
    Fennik Glenwey.
    Race
    Fae.
    Hair Color
    Light blonde.
    Eye Color
    Build
    4'1" / 52 lb
    Job
    Picker of Pockets.

View Profile
    Tense frost flickered on the floor around Fenn's bare feet as he waited, watching as Amari busied about beginning their escape plan.

Even if he had yet again failed to communicate properly - which was quietly driving him up the walls - Amari had a good idea of where to begin. The burners were lit, and she had pulled out some pots and pans from the cupboard, filling them with water and placing them on the coils of the oven. Soon, the air was filled with the sound of boiling, bubbles burbling to the surface of the water and bursting. “First, we’re going to melt as much of that water and ice away from the bars as we can. It’s daytime, so the water won’t freeze for a while,” she said with a glance back at Fenn and a teasing smile. “Pending magical fairy men interfering.”

He mirrored her with a grin of his own, making an anxious gesture between him and the bars. Interfere he would, as soon as she was done clearing the cold and snow that was already by the bars away.

Watching Amari climb the oven gave him the same slightly-nervous feeling as the first time she did it. It was somewhat subdued now, mostly by the fact that she seemed to be competent enough to avoid burning herself on the coi- “FUCK!”

Reflexively, Fenn winced and clapped his hands over his ears at the piercing cry.

Amari fumbled with the boiling pot in her hands and hastily managed to place it on the windowsill, glancing down at her feet for long enough to call Fenn's attention to the source of her shout; her heel had slipped and grazed the coil. Personal experience allowed him to imagine how much such a burn would hurt, even if it was from heat and not from iron. Fenn winced sympathetically.

As the ice around the bars began to drip and slough off in watery chunks, Amari hobbled her way off of the oven and back towards the cloth bed.
    For a moment, Fenn followed along, hovering over her as she inspected the new wound. “Give me a minute...then I’ll…” she muttered to him. There was pain evident in her voice as she looked back to the window. “Wanna explain your plan again, Fenn?”

He gave her a slightly helpless look back, gnawing on the nubs of his fingernails. Was there time to explain? Would it do them any good at this point? Time was slipping away, and the next part of the process was up to him anyway. Besides, she needed a spot of medical attention.

Fenn shot her an apologetic shrug and dashed over to the cupboard. He pulled out the bandages that had been wrapped around his hand but a bit before. They were now a melted, sopping heap, but refroze as soon as he touched them.

That was something like an ice pack, right?

Carrying the wad of frozen fabric back to Amari, Fenn glanced back over to the window, watching the ice and snow run in little rivulets down the wall. He hoped that the water now seeping into the cracks of the wall and the spaces between the stone and the bars would be enough. At the edge of the cloth bed, Fenn handed Amari the frozen wad of bandages, patted her on the head, and hurried back to the oven without explanation.

He hopped onto the stove - taking great care not to touch the still-glowing coils - and peered at the ice melt breathlessly. With a glance back at Amari and a thumbs-up, the tiny Fae took the boiling pot carefully by the handle and poured out the rest of the water onto the bars. What little ice remained hissed and sizzled as it melted. He set the pot down on the oven and cracked his knuckles.

Fenn grinned and placed his hands on the wet windowsill into the pooling water. It abruptly cooled, and quickly iced over under his cold touch and force of will. The ice was more than surface level - it forced its way into the cracks between the wall and the bars.

If only he had a better reign on his power! Using it like this was a delight. It made him feel big.
    If only it was stronger! Imagine the havoc he could wreak then...

The suddenly-expanding ice was bigger than the space containing it, and it refused to be restrained. Much like himself, Fenn thought with a grin. Stone shifted and bulged outward a bit, new cracks running along the surface and small chunks of the wall falling off. It had been weakened by the first bout of warmth and rushing water. It was just enough - now, the stone around the bars was weak enough for them to be potentially pried out by force.

Not by Fenn though. Even without his iron “allergy”, he doubted he had enough strength in his scrawny arms to do the task.

He sighed and shifted aside to show Amari his work, a little bit of pride gleaming in his gaze anyway.

CUE THEMESONGS!

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari took the frozen tattered strips between thumb and forefinger. Looking at them disdainfully. She held it away from her as though it were diseased, some of the bandages still had parts of Fenn’s blood and skin frozen to it. She could appreciate the sentiment, but there was no way in hell she was going to put it against her own burn. She gingerly set it down beside her. “Thanks…” She muttered, in no attempt to hide her disgust at the unusual gesture. “Next time, maybe something….a little less bloody, eh Fenn?”

He didn’t give her a reply. Once again - he seemed lost in his own little world. The Fae child hopped up onto the stove. The shards of ice that flew off from his feet and crept up to the cooling iron of the oven gave Amari a sense of peace. Unlike her, there was no real way for him to burn himself on the coils. “You ever practise that skill?” Amari asked curiously, she knew she wouldn’t get an answer, but it was good food for thought for the Fae. “That latent ability, it’s so powerful in its raw state. I’m sure if you practised it - you wouldn’t need to rely on anyone. You’d just be able to sorta…”

Amari waved her arms uselessly in the air. “Shoot the bars clean away with sheer ice force.”

She sighed softly, watching him work. What did she have? Some useless ability to shift damn flower petals around. Nothing like he had. If she had such raw power, Amari vowed that she would put it to good use. To ensure that others were never in her position.

“It really is something…” She mumbled with a sigh. As he finished, or appeared to be finished Amari pushed herself up off the rags. Gingerly putting weight on her swollen and burnt ankle.

“You’re almost free.” Amari said, offering Fenn a disheartened smile. In truth, a part of her didn’t want him to go. She finally had constant, amicable company. She had someone to talk to. Even if they did leave jars of jam smeared over the floor.

Instead of heading toward the window Amari picked the half empty jar of Jam off the floor, then his precious shoulder bag. Amari shoved the jam into the bag then headed toward the pantry. “You like shiny things, yeh?” She asked with her back turned to him.

Opening the pantry she pulled out the small box of odds and ends, burrying through it she pulled out a small locket necklace. She let it dangle to and fro, turning to Fenn. It’s chain was dirtied, as was the locket. Underneath the dirt and grime was pure gold. It was a mystery as to why the bandits didn’t take it.

“Here.”

Amari pressed a small knob on the side of the oval shaped locket, and it clicked open. “You can even put something inside.” She dropped it into his bag. “I have no use for it.”

She closed the pantry and headed back toward the oven and window. Heaving herself up on it. Fenn delicately moved to the side. Giant green eyes watching her with subdued amazement, at least it looked like that to her.

Amari lifted the bag and carefully pushed it between the bars. She noted Fenn’s sudden panicked look, and reassured him. “It’s fine. You’re following soon after, right?” Another subdued smile.

She turned her attention back to the bars. Wrapping two small hands around one she jerked back with all her might. With great effort, it shifted and finally came loose. Amari toppled back, falling off of the oven. Luckily, the coils had cooled down enough to not inflict any further burns on her, and the fall hadn’t hurt her. Let’s face it, if she got hurt every time she did something it’d get old fast. Amari was accident prone, but she wasn’t made out of porcelain.

“One down!” Amari said, waving the bar to and fro.

Without delay she pushed herself up and repeated the steps to dislodge the second bar. Now, the gap was big enough for Fenn to squeeze through, but he still risked being burnt. “One more bar should do it.”

Amari wrapped her arms around it, but didn’t pull. She lowered her head and sighed. Speaking her feelings. “Fenn, for what it’s worth. You were incredibly frustrating to be around. Misleading, annoying, and you made so much more work.” She paused, lifting her head up to glance sideward at him. “But it’s the most enjoyable few days that I have had in a very long time - and despite the circumstances. I hope you look at this with some sort of fond --------” Her last words were drowned out by a very familiar shout.

“WHAT. THE. FUCK. IS GOING ON IN MY DAMN BASE WRENCH?” There was a slam, and heavy foosteps thudded toward the door. It was Gabe.

Amari acted, she picked Fenn up and shoved the Fae through the small gap. She winced when she heard the sizzle of his upper arm as it grazed against the metal bars. There was no more time.

“If only I kept my damn mouth shut…” she muttered. Cursing herself for her sentimentality. If she hadn’t gotten all emotional the third bar would have been removed, and Fenn could have escaped without harm.

Just as his butt wriggled through the door to the kitchen burst open.

There stood Gabe, furious. Longsword in hand. “I Thought I saw somthin’ amiss. The fuck is this?”

“Run. Don’t look back. Don’t stop.” She whispered to Fenn.

TUrning her back on the window Amari hissed at Gabe. “I’m doing what’s right! Living beings..slave trading is fucked up Gabe and you know it!”

Gabe rose his weapon, “Aye, and I don’t think you know yer place!”

He ran at her and Amari, for the first time in a long time was fearful for her life. She should have guessed that her personality would eventuall get to him. She gave a shrill scream shielding herself.

At the last moment, Gabe flicked his blade, the tip tore through her forearm and blood splattered the walls and through the window. He hit her hard with the hilt of the weapon and she fell down in a slump. Unconscious.

Gabe spat on her and pulled her off the oven. “Bitch.”

He turned to attempt to recover his property. The Fae child. He burst through the small tavern that served as their base and attempted to follow Fenn. At that point, any traces of the boy were gone.

“YER BETTER RUN, IF WE FIND YER- WE’LL TAKE YER HANDS AND FEED EM TO THE WOLVES.” He shouted into the blizzard wastelands.

Amari may lie unconscious; and she may be punished.

No.

Will be punished for her transgressions…

But Fenn was free.

Freedom was something everyone should experience.

It’s a shame its not the same for Amari.

For Amari; there was simply..

Snow way out.

Cinnamon Smol
    GP

Name
    Fennik Glenwey.
    Race
    Fae.
    Hair Color
    Light blonde.
    Eye Color
    Build
    4'1" / 52 lb
    Job
    Picker of Pockets.

View Profile
    As the bars came out, one by one, Fenn stood a little off to the side. He waved his arms in sheer joy, silently cheering Amari on as she pried the sticks of metal out of the wall. It was gratifying, ever-so-satisfying to watch her pluck them out. The air around Fenn briefly swarmed with smug specks of snow. And when Amari spoke to him directly, all he could do was flush grey and cover his face with his hands. Though he wanted to be freed, he almost wanted to stay, if only to keep her company more. But, that just wasn't how things worked here...

Evidently, nothing worked here. Before Amari could pull the last bar free, the most terrible sounds stopped them short.
    “WHAT. THE. FUCK. IS GOING ON IN MY DAMN BASE WRENCH?” Gabe’s voice, slamming door, thudding footsteps. It was at that moment that Fenn knew they were screwed. Before he understood what she was doing, Amari acted. She picked him up and forced him partially through the window face-first, his arm grazing the last iron bar. He flailed a little in surprise, but otherwise he didn't resist.

“Run. Don’t look back. Don’t stop,” said Amari’s voice in a husky whisper.

Fenn fell forth from the window, landing with a noiseless gasp into a pile of slightly-slushy snow below. The cold sludge that was his blood beat fast with fear through his heart as he shakily stood and pressed a hand to his new burn.

Amari!

He hesitated to flee, transfixed by the awful noise within the base. There was calamitous shouting, followed by a high scream that had to be Amari. A spatter of blood flew from the broken window, and a few drops landed next to his feet. Fenn flinched and stagger away from it. There was a trembling in his chest, a sense of horror that seeped into him like the fresh blood into the snow. Gods, no, he thought as he backed away, clutching his chest. The little Fae paled, staring up at the window. Not again, please.

It seemed that his freedom had come with a sickening price. Amari.

“Bitch,” came Gabe’s rough voice from inside.

Fenn, for what it’s worth. You were incredibly frustrating to be around. Misleading, annoying, and you made so much more work. But it’s the most enjoyable few days that I have had in a very long time - and despite the circumstances. I hope you look at this with some sort of fond…

Her voice echoed in his head. Those last words made him want to sob. It wasn't the first time someone had died on him like this, but it wasn't any easier than the last. That locket was still in his bag, he knew. That pretty, gold locket. It seemed only right to take it out and place it over his head. It frosted over and settled snuggly between his shirt and chest.

He… he didn't want it getting lost with his other stuff. Amari needed someone to remember her by.

Fenn hurriedly brushed the impending tears from his eyes and started away. There was no more time for sentimentality. If she was dead, she was dead, and it wouldn’t be long before Gabe was after him next.

Hastily, the Fae summoned a Glamour around himself and dashed off. If anyone glanced his way, all they would see was a white northern fox, dashing through the snow with an unspoken sorrow in its eyes. His cloak dragged in the snow behind him, lightly covering his tracks. It wouldn't trick a competent tracker, but it would hopefully fool those dimwits that dared to dub themselves “bandits”.

Gabe was out there, screaming bloody murder about feeding his hands to the wolves. A bitter laugh smothered in Fenn's chest as he loped through the snow. If only that sorry man knew how often he got those kinds of threats. He wished with a venomous snarl that this loss would sting the bandit leader for years to come. Fenn would be the one that got away, even if Amari wasnt.

The locket bumped against his chest as he ran, a gentle thumping heartbeat alongside his own. He would be more careful from here on out. There was snow way to forget the deaths on his hands.
    Last edited by FennWenn; 11-30-16 at 03:26 PM.

CUE THEMESONGS!

Reaching beyond the stars
    EXP: 4,150, Level: 2
    Level completed: 72%, EXP required for next level: 850
    Level completed: 72%,
    EXP required for next level: 850
    GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile
    Name of Judgment: Snow Way Out
    Type of Judgment: Basic Judgment
    Participants: FennWenn & Mari

Fennik Glenwey

Strengths

• Getting into who Fenn was and his enjoying his innocence was achieved very quickly here. You started the story with interest and made the reader feel sorry for Fenn. While unable to speak, you displayed his feelings and emotions simply but rather well, and while maybe not going into too much depth, you gave enough.

• Your characters actions and story-telling is good. Everything was clear and easy to understand, with no real confusion or stuttered flow throughout. As much as some writers try to add so much flare and special descriptions, sometimes it doesn't need anything more than just stating 'this is what happened'. While practice makes perfect, what you did here was an easy read and that is to your compliment.

• You ended strongly, and while a little sudden, it made this reader want to find out more. The main question being, 'Will Fenn come back for her?' You also displayed some nice technique here with your final sentence which added nicely to the feeling of this story. I would like to find out what happens in the future.

Weaknesses

• While acknowledging what your other writer has done/ written is important, you delve too deep into this. This reader found the start of your posts difficult to read when the story repeated itself from your point of view and had very little to add. If you are going to play out a scene from your character's point of view, it needs to have a reason for the reader to read it. Maybe something that Fenn did to develop his personality or something significant he may have been doing that the other character never noticed.

• Your paragraphing, while not entirely bad, was inconsistent. Some paragraphs are spaced away, and others are not. I wouldn't dock you too harshly for this on a bigger judgment, but it does stand out and look rather odd when reading through. This is something you did rather consistently throughout all your posts, and when done poorly can cause confusion for your scenes and speech.

• This reader enjoyed your style and noted it complimented your character. However, since this was an emotional story, and one that honestly felt rather sad - especially the ending. There wasn't a whole lot of technique used to drag the story up or down emotionally from yourself. This may have been hampered somewhat by your repetition of Mari's posts. While concentrating on ensuring you met her posts you missed out on adding in some additional flare/emotion at key moments.

Amari Ciel L'Olfsden

Strengths

• All of the dialogue throughout was great. You brought so much to life with not only Amari's speech but all of the characters. It added to not only the emotion of the story but the setting of where they actually were. Speech is a clever device, and you use it powerfully and cleverly.

• Amari was an intriguing character, and she developed throughout the story. You gave more depth as the story continued: little comments, little thoughts, and feelings that she displayed as everything played out. These not only brought her to life but made her feel believable. In the end, this reader felt very sorry to have her left behind.

• Your style complimented the initial setting by Fenn and then added to it effectively. One thing that made you stand out was the darker emotional feeling you gave the reader, of not only Amari but of the setting in general. It felt horrid, bleak and disgusting. This helped greatly with the story and drew me into wanting to know more about Amari.

Weaknesses

• While I can see you know the general rules of grammar, it is obvious by the sheer amount of errors that you haven't proofread anything. A bigger judgement would dock you a lot of marks here, but while a little messy, it never ruined the story and nothing was difficult to understand. This is merely small spelling mistakes, incorrect capital letters and overused punctuation etc, but if you desire for higher marks in future, you will need to focus on this.

• You added in your internal thought within your writing, and while sometimes it flowed appropriately, other times it did not. This interrupted the flow and made this reader re-read a few lines from confusion. From a readers point of view, you should try set a distinct way of marking any internal speech to make it easy to read. Some people use italics for example.

• This may well apply to the both of you, but for all the good that came through your characters dialogue and her drive to do the right thing for Fenn - there was little in the way of key scenes that dragged the story up or down. Granted, you are in a single place and it is the growing relationship between your characters that becomes the focus of the story. However, it is the scenes and situations that happen within this scenario that bring the intrigue or the growth of the story. Not a lot really happened, and to make this story stand out strong, it needed something more significant.

Rewards:

FennWenn gains:
    1027 Exp
    140 Gold

Mari gains:
    1040 Exp
    130 Gold
    The Destroyer of Worlds

Part 1: The Gnarled Roots of Osiris
    - Philomel ~ "One of the best "opening" threads by any character I have ever read."
    Part 2: The Truth we Left Behind
    -Currently writing-

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    All rewards added!

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123