Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Emerald, yellow ring around iris
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile

Breathless

“Why’s someone like you in the Crimson Hand anyway?” Amari asked, leaning forward and chewing a roast potato as she pointed her fork toward her companion, waving the remainder of it to and fro in front of him. TThe man she’d often find herself enjoying her meals with when her Master was busy.

Noel jumped at her abrupt comment. His grey-blue eyes drifted away from her. He quickly ran a hand through his long black hair, tied back in a ponytail. His reply was a mixture of concern and embarrassment. “Miss Red…” He placed his fork down beside his plate. “That is a rather personal question.”

“And?” Amari prompted.

Noel picked up his fork and shoved a few forkfuls of peas into his mouth and started chewing, making noises as though he were enjoying the meal. Clearly avoiding the question. Amari sighed, leaning back in her chair. Perhaps she was too forward. As Noel ate, she glanced around the Crimson Hand mess hall, they were the only two there and sat opposite each other on the large wooden table. Noel was one of the few men who didn’t fear her after the atrocities that Amari had caused in this very room. The deaths of the Crimson Hand men, the macabre way she had carved out their eyes and served them in a soup of blood, vitae and gore. Noel was one of the few men who asked her why, and one of the few men who did not fault her for her actions. Amari admired that. She admired his honesty and his integrity. She admired his valour and loyalty. Just as much as she commended these traits, she also questioned them. It didn’t seem right to have such a just man within the ranks of literal human filth.

“You’re too good for this place…” Amari muttered bitterly, standing. She had lost her appetite. Whatever his reasons were, Amari didn’t like it. She didn’t like the thought of someone so….so...inherently good being tossed in with the rest of the lowlifes that comprised of the Crimson Hand militia ranks. Granted, he aided her - and he was the only person other than Madison she trusted, and the only person she felt remotely close to, so having him leave would be a burden on her heart, but she’d rather that than the alternative.

“So are you.”

His reply was so matter-of-fact, it almost threw her for a moment. “You don’t know the things I’ve done, Noel.” Amari whispered mirthlessly. She shoved her chair back under the table with a hard push. “I don’t appreciate that sort of insolence.” She spat at him.

Noel shot right back, unafraid of what Amari was capable of. “I’m not wrong! You’re Master Ulroke’s right hand! Yet you show remorse! Shit Red!” He slammed his hand hard against the table, and the plates and cutlery rattled. “You bury those you kill, you know he’d have you punished if he found out! Yet you still do it!” Noel stood abruptly, sending his chair skidding across the floor. He pointed an accusing finger at Amari. “That does NOT sound like the Crimson Hand I see every day. You say I don’t know?” He lowered his voice into a sneer, “I do know Red. I know all about the men you slaughtered, the children, the lewd shared pain sessions with Ulroke. I know all about your depraved torture methods.” Noel leaned across the table. “My hands are just as stained with blood, if not more, Red. Our deeds are not without fault.” Noel leaned back heavily sighing. “If you don’t appreciate my ‘insolence, do something about it.”

“Fuckin’ Aye…” Amari grumbled. His tirade didn’t enrage her, if anything it calmed her down. He was right. He knew the most about her, perhaps even more so than her Master. Her regular method of venomous, calculated words always failed on him, he’d just bite back. “You piss me of Noel.” She muttered, picking up their half finished plates.

Noel grabbed their glasses, grinning. “That’s my job, is it not?” The two headed toward the small kitchen to the left of the hall, continuing their general banter, as though their pointed words were never uttered.

“You know a lot about me Noel.” Amari continued, hands deep in a frothy sink of dishes. “I’ll ask again, why are you with the Crimson Hand? Is it a debt? Does someone have dirty information on you? Is Master Ulroke blackmailing you?” She wasn’t going to drop the subject. If he were being blackmailed she’d personally take care of it. She had taken a liking to him and she refused to let him be beaten down. Amari handed him the dripping dish and he began to dry it.

“You won’t let this go will you?” Noel asked. Amari shook her head. “I have….” He paused. “I have family. Not exactly, blood related. You know I was mostly raised on the street- I do my best to support the orphanage you see…this ain’t pretty work but it’s good money, and no one asks questions.” He paused. Shooting Amari a look. “most people don’t ask questions.”

“I’m not most people.” Amari chided with a smile. “That’s all I needed to know. Noel. If you’re here of your own volition then I won’t question you further.”

“Thanks.” He replied, relieved she wasn’t going to press the matter further.

They finished the dishes, and were about to head out; but as they left the kitchen they noticed a black clad figure leaning against the doorway.

“Master?” Amari seemed surprised. He had gone out, and wasn’t due back for another day and a half. His emerald eyes glanced between the two. “Am I interrupting something, pet?” Amari shook her head, “No.”

“Good, follow me.” He turned to leave. Amari glanced back at Noel giving him an apologetic look. She had to take care of Ulroke first and foremost. His presence held a power over her she still couldn’t fully fathom or control. Amari somehow….didn’t mind. Lichensith Ulroke was a cruel and commanding manchild, but he was honest.

Noel didn’t share the same sentiments as her, he watched as she left with the so-called leader of the Crimson Hand. “Tch...pathetic…” he muttered, following shortly after to retire to his own sleeping quarters.

EXP: 38,655, Level: 8
    Level completed: 41%, EXP required for next level: 5,345
    Level completed: 41%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,345
    GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    A few days later Amari found herself wandering the streets of a small town. It was high noon and the streets were fairly busy. There was a light snowfall, that dusted her leather coat and hair in white. Noel was in tow. The man did not look happy. He was carrying a sack of flour over each of his shoulders. “Since when did I become your errand boy?”

Amari shrugged. “Had to get someone to do it, that’s what you get for not turning tail and running when I come a knockin.’” If she were being truthful, she on purposefully hunted him down, she knew he had a great deal of respect for her, and wouldn’t say no to such an innocent request. She’d had a miserable few days and needed the relief that Noel seemed to provide. Lichensith’s plans hadn’t been exactly fruitful, and he had taken it all out on her. Literally ripped her apart. Amari’s joints still hurt.

“Suppose so.” Noel replied, clearly annoyed.

“SUMBUDDY HALLP!!!!” A strained voice called out. A man came bustling through the town market and ran straight into Noel. “PLEASE SIR YOU GOT TA HELP ME!” The man clambered at Noel’s shirt as he tumbled forward.

“Ignore him….” Amari muttered, pushing the crazed man away from Noel. He looked disheveled, his dark brown pants torn, the sole of one of his shoes had come loose and was flapping around. The man was covered in dirt and grime. He reeked of alcohol and fuel. His sunken, brown eyes were wide and bloodshot. “Fuck off.” Amari spat, standing between him and Noel.

“Miss Red…”

“No.” Amari said with a tone of authority. “We don’t have time for this drunkards shit. Let’s go.” Amari stepped over the whimpering man.

His bottom lip trembled as his eyes looked up at Amari pleadingly. “MISS, PLES!” He got down and began to beg. “MAH D-DAUGHTER! SHE SICK. I NEED THE SPIDER SILK TO HALP HER. I HAVE NOTHING BUT MAH FAMILY YOU GOT TA HALP ME!” The man began to sob on her feet.

“My heart goes out to you.” Amari said, clearly unmoved kicking him off her feet. “I’ve had a shitty few days, and you are rightfully in line for me to fuckin’ shut your mouth permanently.” She didn’t give a shit what this man wanted, or who he was crying about. People died all the time, one less person on this god forsaken world would probably do it some good.

The man closed his eyes and gripped his hands into trembling fists. Something changing with his tone as he tried to calm himself down. “I-I understand if it's a lot ta ask a stranger.I is desperate… I can’t bare to lose mah daughter. I offer mah own life as payment, please. Halp me. I know I’m not the only one who’s lost sumbaddy close! Do ya know tha feeling?” He looked back up at her with adamant eyes.

“Oh yes.” Amari sneered as she leaned down. “I lost my brother and my father. Course, it probably had something to do with me killin’ em both. Now, fuck off before I do the same to you.”

“It’s not just her!” The man begged, clearly unphased by her statement. His thoughts were on his daughter, and his people.“All of Ettemire! The steamworks are making the young and elderly dreadfully ill.”

“Listen here you fuckin’ shit!” Amari snapped, turning on her heel and grabbing the man’s shirt. “I don’t give a flying fuck.” The man blinked at her, one eye after the other in an out of sync in an intoxicated fashion. “Please?”

“Did you say Ettemire?” Noel asked. Dropping the two flour sacks to the ground. “Did you!?” He pushed Amari to the side and helped the man stand. “They’re overworking the engines aren’t they?” The man nodded, tears brimming his eyes as he gripped Noel’s jacket. “We outta spidersilk resp...res...resporaterers.”

Amari stood, dumbfounded. “The hell do you care?” Amari muttered at Noel. “He’s just a drunkard. Pick up the bags and let’s go.” She turned to walk off, but his words stopped her in her tracks. “With all due respect Miss Red. No. Shut up and stay for a minute.” Amari stood still, unsure if she felt rage or curiosity at this point. She glared at Noel as he and the drunkard spoke, definitely curiosity. Noel shook the man's hand, offering his aid and Amari grimaced. Scratch that, it was anger. “Thank ya suh much!”

“What the fuck was that?” Amari spat as Noel waved the man off. “Did you just fuckin’ offer to help him? Are you forgetting your place?” Noel stood and with little effort dragged her into the nearest alleyway before pressing her up against the wall. “What the fuck Noel! Get the fuck off me!”

“No.” He snapped back. “Breathe. Calm down. Listen.” He commanded, trapping her against the wall. If it had been anyone else, they’d be on the floor writhing in pain with their face melted off. Not Noel. Amari glared at him, seething silently for a few moments. But with little to fuel her easily angered temper she began to calm down. It didn’t make sense to her, why Noel would want to go all the way through the mountains to Alerar to help out the idiotic people of Ettemire. “Why?” Amari finally asked.

“Remember how I said I was sending coin to aid family?”

Amari nodded, and Noel waited. Unfortunately, for him, he had to wait several minutes whilst the gears slowly turned in Amari’s head. “They’re…..they’re in Ettemire?” Amari finally asked as it dawned on her. Noel nodded. “And...you said they were children?” Another nod. “So...that’s why…She mused quietly to herself.

Amari cast her eyes downward, feeling a pang of guilt tear at her. She had constantly insisted that Noel be more open with her, that he do what he wants to do rather than what he needs to do, and here she was, throwing her authority and weight around the one time he did want to do something for himself. “Noel...I-”

“Miss Red. I’m going there, no matter what you say. I’ll do what I can then return.”

Amari shook her head, she wasn’t going to stop him. If anything...she wanted to help him. She just wasn’t sure how to voice it. She just tore into him, what was she supposed to do now? ‘Oh hey Noel, remember how I was insisting we let the guy wallow in his own filth, yeh sure let’s totally help him!’ She’d get mocked.

“Miss Red?” Noel noticed her elongated silence, concern laced his voice. He pressed his fingers to the underside of her chin and rose it to meet his grey-blue eyes. “I promise I’ll return. I’m very proficient with an axe. Don’t worry about me.”

Amari wrenched her head away, frowning. “You fuckin’ idiot. I was trying to figure out a way to offer my help.” She snapped, not meaning to blurt out her intentions in such a crass manner. Fucking great Amari, you sure do know how to make things better/

Noel laughed, “I’d enjoy that.” He scratched his chin as he stepped to the side, finally freeing her from the wall. “To be honest. I was tryin’ to figure out how to ask you to help anyway. If Ettemire is in need of Spidersilk Resperators. Spidersilk is hard enough to come by as is, let alone sewing them together. Now you - Miss Red, I know you’re quite the seamstress.” Noel grinned. “You gonna be ok with such a menial task, oh mighty Miss Red.”

“Oh bite me.” Amari muttered as she pushed past Noel. “Pick up the bags, and lets go. I think we may have some reserves of spidersilk in the Crimson Hand storage. I’ll authorise use of it, but it won’t be much. We’d have to get more.”

Noel sighed, “Aye, and I know exactly where to get it.”

EXP: 38,655, Level: 8
    Level completed: 41%, EXP required for next level: 5,345
    Level completed: 41%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,345
    GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    “You know, this would have been easier to do whilst stationary.” Amari mumbled toward Noel. Who was sitting by her side within the horse drawn carriage. The small space smelt of wood and hay, the two were cramped. Sitting side by side, it made for difficult work. “Yes…” Noel seemed regretful. “You don’t know how much this means to me.”

“You’re right, I don’t.” Amari chucked another completed spidersilk respirator into the small wooden crate opposite her. She had made at least twenty of them with the stock of spidersilk within the Crimson Hand, now - she had almost ran out. Noel suggested they head toward the Mountains of Dawn, West of Ettimere. It was difficult finding a carrier willing to travel so close to the borders of Raiaera. It took a heavy bag of coin, and some velveteen words from Noel to get the trader to agree to take them along the Niadath path.

“So, let me recap - you want us to go collect more spidersilk from a few nearby caves you know have...oh gee -giant fucking venomous spiders?”

Noel smirked. “Yeh, nothing gets past you Miss Red.”

Amari nodded, “And you want us to collect the spider silk, with the possibility of running into, and fighting these giant ass cave spiders? And what was it their venom did again?”

“Slow acting neurotoxins which cause necrosis of the limb, and the complete shutdown of the nervous system if untreated.”

Amari rolled her eyes, “Fan-fucking-tastic. I’ve always wanted to go barrelling headfirst into a dangerous situation for dumb ass people I couldn’t care a less for.” She wasn’t happy about doing this. What did she care if a bunch of people got sick and died? That sort of thing happened all the time. The only reason she was bothering to do this was Noel. Noel was probably the closest thing Amari had to a friend, perhaps more so than Madison. She didn’t like seeing him distraught. “I’m doing this for you, and your loyalty Noel.” Amari said sternly. She didn’t want him to think she was weak.

“Of course, Miss Red. You already have my allegiance and my loyalty. With this you’d have my eternal gratitude.” Noel knew she was just saving face, but he wasn’t one to start causing fights. Amari had already done so much. Amari had started working on another respirator. Watching her work with the intricate and delicate spider silk, lithe fingers gently creating something new. It was peaceful. When Amari was concentrating, her face lost the scowls and frowns she often wore, her features softened, and it almost seemed as though she were a completely different person. One who wasn’t involved in the Crimson Hand, one who hadn’t lived through months of pain and torture. “Hey...Miss Red…” Noel quietly said.

“Mmm?” Amari threw the respirator into the crate, and with it, the last of the spidersilk. As luck would have it, the cart lurched to a stop. “Looks like we’re here, let’s get this shit done with.” Amari hauled herself out of the back of the carriage, landing on the dusty ground. “What were you gonna ask?”

Noel shook his head, the moment - as quickly as it had settled, was gone. “Nothing.”
    “Good.” Amari muttered. “I don’t want to waste any time.” She straightened her jacket and headed to the front of the cart. The merchant gave her a small nod of acknowledgement. “You’ll stay here 24 hours yes?”

“Aye Miss. Any longer and I’ll leave without you. No hard feelings, business is business.”

Amari grinned, as she reached out to shake the merchants hand. “And if you leave beforehand, I’ll rip your skin off and use it as a coat. No hard feelings, business is business.”

“R-Right…” The merchant quickly let go of her hand, unerved by the macabre threat. “I’d rather keep my skin, Miss.”

Amari grinned as she crossed her arms over her chest. “Right, so we shouldn't have a problem then, ta-ta!” She offered the man a small wave as she turned on her heel, with Noel in tow toward the rocky outcrop of caves.

“How do you know what we’re looking for is here anyway?” Amari asked as they started to hike up the mountainside. Boots crushing down on loose rocks, which toppled down the steep incline. The sun hung high in the sky. The noon heat belting down on the two overdressed Crimson Hand members.

Noel had his great battleaxe tightly secured to his back, unlike Amari he had left his coat in the carriage. His toned arms glistened with perspiration. “We’re about 2 hours out of Ettimere. I’d come here sometimes to train. One time I-”

“Don’t need to hear it.” Amari huffed, wiping sweat from her brow. “Just show us the quickest way out of this damned sun.”
    Last edited by Mari; 01-22-17 at 02:20 AM.