Thread: A Passage Beyond the Coast (Closed to Lorenor)

GP

Name
    Beatrix
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'11, 155 lbs
    Job
    Vagabond

A Passage Beyond the Coast (Closed to Lorenor)

Lanterns flickered around the Ruby Hawk, casting the patrons in shades of warm light and shadow. A baker led the people in a rousing ode to alcohol and its wonders. The whole tavern either joined in the song or studiously blocked it out. The newest arrival chose the latter course of action, sliding through the crowd like water through cracked stone.

One hand stayed on her sword out of habit, while the other drove ahead to create her path. She ignored the mutterings around her, hoped none of them were for her. Her maille shirt was in her room, but she still wore her gambeson to insulate and mask her figure. That and her page's bob, with her height, would prevent a second look from anyone with more than two drinks in them. She didn't need attention, not tonight.

She reached the serving counter with no trouble, but with no money in hand. She called for a server by name. He turned, recognized her, and shook his head. She motioned him over.

"Naught to Raiaera," he said. "Th'all want coin."

She expected that, so she had a response ready. "Anywhere else?"

He thought for a moment. "Still just paid in service?" Her look answered that question. "Awright, gimme sec, aye?"

She nodded. He left. She waited.

He returned. "There's one. And you're in luck. They have a passenger staying here, very influential to the captain. I'll talk to him. Wait here."

She waited some more. He came back, led her to a back room. Her hand stayed on her sword, afraid this was a trick. He opened the door and addressed some foreign words to the room's occupant, then beckoned her in.

A faint blue glow illuminated the room, along with an oil lamp burning white-orange. The blue came from the room's sole occupant. He was plainly robed, but he looked anything but plain, even seated so humbly. His stout frame reminded her of a dwarf, but he was far too tall for a dwarf. When he turned, she saw electric blue eyes, brighter than the light. The lamp cast his features in eerie shadows. The overall effect was tremendously forbidding.

Perhaps that was why she bowed so deeply as she introduced herself. "I am Beatrix. I seek passage off this island. I can pay with service as a hired sword."
    Last edited by Hamlet7768; 02-10-17 at 06:16 PM.

EXP: 5,976, Level: 3
    Level completed: 25%, EXP required for next level: 3,024
    Level completed: 25%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,024
    GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Blue (Deeply inset eye-sockets, no eyeballs, only a glowing energy)
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Previously-

Lorenor was working in his room in the hotel on the docks. Or at least, it was located near the docks. He'd previously been in Salvar for a little over a year assisting Knife's Edge with the work that needed doing. Lorenor often thought about his adventures with Ayithe and others he had met in Salvar. It was a cold land, a land that was quite unforgiving in nature. And he had fallen in love with it. He sat there, in his rented chambers, carefully scribing various notes. He was taking steps to travel to Raiaera, another land that he was familiar with. It would make adequate training grounds for one of his particular disposition.

Lorenor heard the knock on his door.

"Come." Lorenor said carefully, and one of the waiters, secretly a member of one of the resistance factions in Corone. The resistance was quietly fighting the Imperial regime in Radasanth.

The fellow had short, and tightly cropped hair. It was a red-brown sort of colour. Lorenor had dealings with secret agent before, and he was an honourable sort of fellow fighting a dangerous shadow war. The man bowed quickly and got right to business.

"You will have a visitor shortly. One of them Adventurer folks who seek passage off Corone. I forward her in your general direction. I figured that she would be in better hands with you at her side."

Lorenor rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Did she have any marks?" Lorenor suddenly asked.

"None that I recognized but she seemed to be part of one of the older Houses from here in Corone. But I didn't recognize the symbols on her gear." He said casually.

"Fair enough." Lorenor said in response. "You did well in bringing her to me." Lorenor thought calmly. "Is there anything else?"

"Be on guard. Some of the dockhand's backgrounds didn't check out correct. There will likely be dangers out tonight when you venture to where ever it is that you are going." The agent said calmly. "I shall take my leave here and send her to you."

Lorenor looked up from his scribing when the girl entered his room roughly an hour or two later. "Welcome." He said to Beatrix calmly. "I am but a humble servant of the people." Lorenor said carefully as she bowed. "You do not need to use such formalities with me." He explained. "My name is Lorenor. The man who brought you to me said you seek passage to Raiaera, yes?" Lorenor sized her up.

She wore a single weapon at her hip. She should be confident to survive in the plaugelands. Lorenor stopped writing at that point. And placed his fountain pen on the table. The table had an ink bottle, some parchment paper and an old journal. There were several lamps in the room, that kept the room well lit. The window in the room was open and a gentle breeze came in that made the flames in the lanterns dance ever so subtly. The old Paladin looked at Beatrix the entire time she stood there before him.

"For what reason do you seek passage to Raiaera? I an accompany you the whole way there. And perhaps even farther than that depending on your goals." Lorenor said truthfully.

Though the old Paladin had a gentle eyes, his face was serious. It was clear he was thinking about a great many things that were on his mind. He wanted to be certain that she would be a good ally. "That weapon looks well crafted." Lorenor said quietly. "I've not seen such design in some time. How is your sword arm?" Lorenor needed to know. "The situation in Raiaera is grave. You must be ready to fight once we get to the Red Forest." He said calmly...

...then he waited for a response from her.
    Last edited by Mutant_Lorenor; 02-13-17 at 01:02 PM.
    The Alpha and The Omega.
    The Beginning and The End.

GP

Name
    Beatrix
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'11, 155 lbs
    Job
    Vagabond

She raised her head carefully at his words. He still bore an eldritch air, like something not entirely of the physical world, but his voice was calm and reassuring. The eyes were what put her off, those twin points of electric blue. Had he even blinked since she entered the room? Did he blink?

"How did you know I sought passage to Raiera?" She had assumed this Lorenor would be headed elsewhere, where she could take her leave to finish the journey to Raiera. But if he was going directly to Raiera, so much the better! "Well, I received a message from an old friend. Some sort of plague haunts their lands, and they need help. And Corone holds nothing for me now. After Raiera, I know not where I'd go."

Her grip tightened around Lexin when he paid it compliment, then she smiled. "It's elvish, believe it or not. And I can use it. And other weapons besides. Chiefly longsword and the like." She considered offering to demonstrate her skill, but thought better of it. Duelling was never a safe matter, no matter how fine the protection.

Some gnawing insecurity had provoked the idea, no doubt. She still wondered what sort of man this was, and what sort of thing he would want from her. With practiced deference, she waited for his response.

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Lorenor considered her response.

The woman seemed quite skilled in fact, so Lorenor would gladly oblige. "My friend told me that you were seeking passage to Raiaera. I merely assumed the rest after the fact...I'm considering both my safety and your own." Lorenor oft went to the Plaguelands to train. However, there was a deeper purpose to his journeys there. Lorenor once met a man named Sei Orlouge that saved him from himself. Lorenor owed Sei a tremendous debt. That was a debt he was trying to pay back for the rest of his long and lonely journey.

Lorenor looked at the woman for a moment then remembered something. He had several chairs positioned around his table. "Please have a seat." The old man said calmly. "It's not often that I have a guest these days anyway. So it would be nice to have somebody to talk to about things." Lorenor organized the documents and effects on his table so that he could make room for her. Meticulous. That was one of many words that could describe the old Paladin. Lorenor thought about a few matters as he considered the situation at hand. "But yes, the situation there is serious. There has been some progress made in healing the Red Forest. But that progress is very small in comparison to the harm that Xem'Zund and others have caused. Then more recently, the forgotten one named Pode was supposedly slain in battle. Though it's terribly difficult to discern truth from lies." Lorenor frowned as he thought of the idea of Madison Freebird slaying a Forgotten One. I must defeat her some day...but there are other matters at hand...

"Are you hungry, or perhaps thirsty?" Lorenor remembered his manners...
    The Alpha and The Omega.

GP

Name
    Beatrix
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'11, 155 lbs
    Job
    Vagabond

The offer came as a surprise, but would seem to indicate he might take her service. Encouraged, Beatrix sat at the table, careful to keep Lexin in a position where she could draw-strike in an instant if needed. She doubted the blue-eyed man held ill intent, but habit dominated. "I confess I know little of Raiera itself, merely that something has occurred."

That seemed to prompt Lorenor. With only a few words he made her wonder what good she could do. She was one woman against evils unfathomable. What was a sword against the eldritch magics of the forgotten times? And who was this slain 'forgotten one'? Even the names sounded ominous, taunting her limited knowledge and upbringing. She could not even conceive of these things; how could she hope to fight them? Would she have to draw on Domin as well as Lexin?—No. She would not break that vow. She would make herself worthy of the twin blades before she ever returned to that cairn on the mountain top.

As abruptly as her thoughts had turned dark, Lorenor's voice broke through. She nodded, then realized the motion was too small to be seen and said "Something small, if you please. I already supped."

She barely noticed whatever happened next, for the dark thoughts returned unbidden. What, exactly, was she committing to with this man?

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    The Unsent
    Hair Color
    Bald
    Eye Color
    Build
    5.0'/200lbs
    Job
    Paladin of Ixian Knights

View Profile
    Lorenor watched her for a moment and prepared some food for her that he'd pre-cooked.

He had guest periodically and so kept a decent stock of food, though he himself...did not need to eat. He merely enjoyed the taste of certain foods. He prepared a dish for her from some rations and food located nearby. Then he prepared a fine wine, Corone in texture. He wasn't sure what her favorite flavor was but he didn't mind sharing.

He placed the food and snacks on the table for her and moved some of his documents and effects after that.

He sat back down and looked carefully at the girl before him. "Just some snacks and such if it pleases you." Lorenor rubbed his chin, deep in thought. His eyes narrowed after a moment as he considered the matter at hand. "Right now I am considering the passage to Raiaera. If you're going there to train or something of that nature, I have been there before. I can show you adequate training spots." The old Paladin said calmly. "Just remember that The Plaguelands are not safe...there are many dangerous things out there." Not just The Walkers...but other Horrors as well. Lorenor thought to himself for a moment.

"I have maps and other effects in my personal collection so travelling there shouldn't be too much of a problem." Lorenor considered another thing. "If you don't have a place to stay until we leave, you are welcome to stay here with me." Lorenor nodded. "I don't need sleep anyway." He added, hinting at perhaps...something far darker about him. "Right now I just have been gathering the supplies that are needed for a long term trip out there." Lorenor said casually and then took a few bites of some of the meats on the plate before him.

He waited to hear what she would have to say after that.
    The Alpha and The Omega.