Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Emerald, yellow ring around iris
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari sunk further down into the bath. Giving a sigh of relief. It had been a long, long few days. Fighting spiders, sewing respirators. Healing the sick. It left Amari feeling weary and lethargic. Now. She had a few glorious hours to herself. Alone in the lavish bathroom. Porcelain tub, water at a comfortable temperature, sudsy with soaps and essential oils, smelling of hibiscus and lemon. The room was dimly lit by a dozen candles and the lick flickered across the tiled room. Nothing could spoil this peace, not even the heavy clunking and grinding of the overworked machinery in the background.

At least I got something out of this Amari thought to herself as she recalled the information that one of the elders had given both her and Noel. Apparently, not too far from Khu’Fein was a mountain range, within those mountains lay a monstrous Basilisk which guarded a valuable sword. This ‘sword’ was said to have an odd power, it was an oddity, a rarity - one that Amari didn’t exactly care about, until she found out that there were other swords just like it - and people were hunting for those. It piqued her interest - it made her want it. Not just for her, but for the Crimson Hand. She didn’t want the organisation to fall into obscurity, and if people were hunting for these swords. Then that meant they had value beyond that of a sharp trinket.

“Noel, are you out there?” Amari called out as she lifted a leg, running a soap filled cloth down its length. She frowned when she noted the two large puncture marks from the spider that had bitten her. If it hadn’t been for Noel, she wouldn’t have been bitten in the first place.

His voice came as a muffled response, “Yes Miss Red?”

“Remember what that old geezer said, about the swords?” A plan was formulating in her head. She had done Noel a great deal of service, and it was about time he repaid her.

“Y-Yes, but I thought we agreed we weren’t going?”

Amari grinned, Noel didn’t sound too keen on the idea, he had a fear of snakes. Part of her was glad that he was uncomfortable, he rarely showed fear or discomfort. So she relished in the chance to dangle it in front of her face. “Change of plans, we leave tomorrow morning.” She pushed herself out of the tub and wrapped a thick, cotton towel around her form. As Amari put weight on her injured leg, she winced. It’d take a few more days for her to heal, but she didn’t have the luxury of waiting.

She opened the door to see Noel, topless and sitting on the single, King sized bed. Dark hair tied up in a ponytail. He had a towel wrapped around his lower half, patiently waiting for Amari to finish bathing so he could clean the grime and oil from the city off of his own chiseled, dark-skinned form. He turned his grey-blue gaze to her, unfazed by the sight of her in a towel. “Really Red?” He asked raising his brows, his eyes now glancing to the angry red bite mark on her leg. “You sure you should be out and about with that injury? You did spend the entirety of yesterday vomiting.”

Amari snorted, “Yes. I’m sure - before your bath, I need your services.”

“Services?” Noel asked, uncertainty in his voice. The two were practically naked in the most luxurious room in the most luxurious inn within Ettimere. The lavish room was lit by an overhanging chandelier. The room had a plush, thick, crimson carpet with ornate gold roses embellished across it. The room was equipped with windows that opened out to a balcony that overlooked the ‘prettier’ part of the capital. The room held a writing desk, and a large wardrobe. The bed was hugged with maple bedside tables, on each one sat a dimly lit oil lamp, which diffused the scent of lavender into the room. The scene was almost romantic.

almost

Amari padded over to Noel, her body dripping. “Oi, Noel.” She waved her hand in front of his face. “Services!?”

Noel blinked, snapping out of his stupor. “Oh..yes, but...what exactly do you mean by services?”

Amari pointed to the writing desk. “Write a letter to Master Ulroke, tell him we’ll be late, and are going to acquire this ‘Crystal Snake Sword’ or whatever in the name of the Crimson Hand.”

Noel breathed a sigh of relief. He wasn’t sure why indecent thoughts travelled into his mind. Amari never showed the slightest hint of interest in him, sexual or otherwise, and if she did need any ‘services’ she’d garner them from Ulroke, not from some grunt in the lowest ranks of the Crimson Hand.

“Of course.” He stood and headed for the desk, making use of the inkwell and paper provided for them.

Amari had gone the opposite direction, toward the window. She opened it, and stuck her fingers between her lips. Shrilly whistling. Two Ravens fluttered down to meet her, “L’oreal, Maybelline.” Amari greeted with a smile. Her two favourite birds softly cawed in response. Amari ran her hands over the feathery heads of her companions.

Noel approached from behind with the letter written in his neat handwriting and handed it to one of the birds. Maybelline fluttered her wings, and clasped the letter tightly in her claws before taking flight, giving a final caw as a goodbye. L’oreal stayed and followed Amari inside as she closed the window.

“Thankyou Noel.”

Noel seemed less than appreciative. “Right. Just so you know, Miss Red. I do not like this. I know we have done our research, and confirmed the man’s ramblings, but-”

“But you don’t like snakes right?” Amari mused as she crossed her arms. “Tough shit. I did a major favour for you. I not only got poisoned and nearly lost my damn leg, but I nearly died healing all those people. Your people.” Her tone turned bitter. “This damn lead is the only thing we gout out of this, and if it aids the Crimson Hand I am going to go, and since my injury is your fault. You are going to accompany me.”

Noel sighed. She was right. Amari had gone above and beyond to aid him, and Ettimere. Despite what she said, he knew it was solely for his benefit. Seeing her standing there, her skin slowly being alleviated from the dark cracks that marred her body, and her eyes. Golden and Emerald orbs no longer stained so thickly with crimson that one would think she were bleeding. He figured that her kind acts had aided her, and if she returned - her body would again start to show signs of distress. He wanted to voice it to her but - he could not.

All he could do, was offer a, “Yes Miss Red.” As he turned his back on her, heading into the bathroom for his own reprise.

EXP: 38,655, Level: 8
    Level completed: 41%, EXP required for next level: 5,345
    Level completed: 41%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,345
    GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    The next day the two were on the road again. Their day of rest was well deserved, and much needed. Alas, it wasn’t nearly long enough. Amari was still sore from the spiderbite and her chest tight from the constant strain of healing all the sick villagers. Noel, although a lot better off physically - was emotionally drained. Not many were able to put up with Amari for elongated periods of time. Even Noel, who was ever patient, and quite fond of Amari was at his limits.

At least this time they were travelling in comfort. They sat comfortably in a steam powered carriage. The wild belted across their faces, and the contraption was unbelievably loud, but it was also incredibly fast. “IT MAY BE LOUD-” Amari shouted over the noise, “BUT IT CUTS OUR TRAVEL TIME IN HALF!” She said with a wry grin. Noel just glared back at her. His arms crossed. Clearly disliking the detour they had taken. Amari however, and unusually so, was in much more amicable spirits. Throughout the night the idea of the sword and its abilities grew on her. Whatever it may be, she would acquire it. Hell, she’d try to gain the others to complete the collection if she could. Surely that’d be worth more, and obtain a higher symbol of power - or, in Amari’s case...a symbol of ‘Don’t fucking fuck with me or the Hand anymore’

Their ride soon came to an end, and the two hopped off of the indescribable contraption.

Amari stretched, wincing again as she extended her injured leg. “Shit…” She hissed. Immediately shifting her weight to her good leg. Noel came up behind her. Dropping a sack of food and sleeping supplies at their feet. “Ready to turn around yet?” He asked hopefully.

“Not a chance in hell.” Amari retorted. Once she had her mind set on something, it was near impossible to sway her.

Their driver lifted his goggles off of his face, hoping off the now silent machine. He smiled at Amari with light blue eyes. He wiped the dirt from his stubble as he pulled out a map, standing to her side. “Right Miss Red…Here’s the map, as promised. Courva lies Northwest, and Noria lies South East.” The man pointed ahead of them, then to the map he had given Amari. “As you see, the Tular Plains lies beyond the mountain range, you don’t want to go there. Just in and out that there ravine.” He pointed to a crudely drawn mark on the map. “Right…” Amari mumbled. She couldn’t read the damn thing, but she knew Noel could. She could feel him peering over her shoulder at the coordinates.

“Hang on…” Noel said, pointing to another part of the map. “To get to that ravine, we’d have to go through those caverns here, right?”

“Well, err, yes - unless you wish to climb the mountainside and jump into the thing, but I assure you - no living thing would survive such a fall.”

Noel made a frustrated sound. “That caverns a damn labyrinth- we’d get lost. Aren’t they the ones that the Basilisk had carved out? Don’t they wind deep into the mountains and further underground?”

“Yes.” Came the driver's reply, “This isn’t new information. We went over this.”

“It’s fine. We’ll find the way.” Amari said with unabashed pride and confidence. Behind her, the two men exchanged worried glances.

Noel had a point, and he was annoyed that Amari was so blatantly ignoring it. He didn’t want to spend the rest of his life lost in a maze filled with snakes. If others had gotten lost looking for the sword, what made Amari so confident that she’d find it?

“Right, Thanks Eric.” Amari said to the man, giving him a hearty pat on his shoulder. “We got this from here. Noel - grab the supplies, let’s go.”

“You’re gonna get us killed.” Noel grumbled as he hefted the rucksack over his shoulder. Shifting his axe to his hand.

Amari gave him a mischievous grin. “Or die trying.” Noel couldn’t help but crack a smile at her exuberance. Despite whatever fueled it, it was nice to see her excited about something. IF not a tad unsettling. “Miss Red, I am not sure what unnerves me more, seeing you in a blind rage, or seeing you this...oddly giddy.” Amari shrugged in reply.

“I suppose it goes to show that you’re far more used to me being a pessimistic ass. No?” She turned her tri-coloured eyes toward him, questioning him.

“I…” Noel paused. Shifting the weight of the sack. “Don’t you find it odd, Miss Red? I don’t think this is a bad thing, far from it - but you’ve been in lighter spirits ever since you helped the people of Ettimere.” Noel gestured toward her skin. “Your skin is clearing up.” He chanced the opportunity to brush crimson strands of hair away from her eyes. “Your eyes are too- you’re not as bossy or short tempered. Don’t you feel this is a good thing?”

Amari frowned and batted his hand away. “I should be bossy. I am your superior.” She mumbled. “Are you suggesting that my return to the Inner Sanctum is going to have an adverse effect on me?” Amari asked, her voice venemous. “Choose your words carefully, Noel.”

Noel snorted. “Not entirely, no. I’m trying to say that the positive energy and actions you performed those past few days seems to have had a good effect on you, is all.” He turned his steel blue gaze to the path ahead of them. “I wouldn’t dare speak ill of Master Ulroke.” His tone was laced with sarcasm and hints of jealousy.

“Good.” Amari responded with a nod. Either not noticing, or choosing to ignore the tone he had used. “Then let us get this weapon.”

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    “Let me quickly check to make sure we are at the right entrance…” Noel mumbled, allowing his Axe to rest on the side of the mountain, by the cave’s entrance as he went to rummage through the sack to find the map he had unceremoniously, and on purposefully shoved deep into it.

“We don’t need a map to tell us we are in the right place!” Amari said exasperated. “LOOK!” she gestured toward the entrance. Two large stalagmites, positioned as though they were fangs protruded from the top of the circular entrance. “This is literally the only entrance we’ve come across and it looks like a fuckin’ snakes mouth!” She waved her hands toward it in large, bold movements. As though Noel hadn’t already seen the not so subtle entrance. Amari then gestured toward the ground, “And oh look! What is this? A giant fuckin’ snake tongue carved into the sandstone. This place couldn’t be any more obvious if it tried!”

“Miss Red, I just want to make-”

“OH! And then there is this!” Amari pointed to the sign, it read:

[Do Not Enter: Under Ettimere Ordinance Sect. 567]

“I bet that says ‘danger, snake labyrinth within’ or something similar, am I right!?” Amari asked, making it painfully clear how little she could actually read.

Noel sighed, he knew they were at the right place, he was just trying to prolong the inevitable. “Yes, Miss Red. It says something like that. I suppose we are in the right place.” He glanced toward the entrance, the smell of mildew wafted out from its dank, dreary interior. “Must we?”

“We Must.” Amari said simply, walking straight forward into the cavern. If she were to wait around for Noel, they’d never make it in. He had tried to procrastinate numerous times. Amari had let it slide, mostly because it gave her the chance to rest her injured leg, but now -she could almost taste the presence of the sword, and it tasted like sweet victory. Which Amari assumed tasted like a freshly brewed jasmine tea.

After only a few minutes the cave became difficult to navigate, the light behind them seemed to flicker and fade with each step away. Amari paused. “Hang on a minute.” Amari had been practising with her abilities - something she did often when alone. After the run in with the demon when she was with Leoric it was painfully clear she still had a long way to go.

Still...she had a new trick up her sleeve, and she had been itching to show someone.

Amari took a few deep breaths, and just like the whips she used to protrude from her wrists, four long tendrils of energy extended from her back. Brilliant and golden, they waved gently to and fro in the air as though they had a mind of their own. The flickering light danced across the cave walls, lighting up their immediate area. They passed through the cave walls and even Noel, as though they were incorporeal. Amari glanced over her shoulder, ‘What do you think?”

“I uh-” As one of the golden tendrils phased through his form Noel felt a tingling warmth. Her tendrils were a direct manifestation of her abilities. Noel had seen her use the whip like weapons from her wrist, but this? This was on an entirely different level. “Miss Red…” She had exhausted herself day after day healing the sick - but to do this, she must have pushed past that, training long and hard through the night. Just how long had she been suffering alone? What drove her? She stood before him, the strange etheral tentacles protruding from her back, giving him a smirk as though it was nothing. They were harmless as they were, naught but light sources wafting to and fro, but he feared what she’d be capable of if they were to be fuelled by her abilities to hurt.

“How...far do they reach?” He asked.

Amari shrugged, “20-25 feet? They’ll sorta phase through things, until I will them to grasp onto something. Figured it’d be a decent light source.” Amari noted how uneasy Noel seemed, although, once again, she was entirely off the mark as to why. “What? Too snake-like for you?” She quipped.

Noel shook his head. “No. I just wonder, golden is healing - red is injury...right?” Amari nodded in response. “So, you’d be able to hurt people with those too?” Amari nodded again.

“Nothin’ gets past you, does it Noel.”

“Just…”I feel sorry for those who spark your ire, miss Red.” Noel muttered. Watching her walk aimlessly ahead, turning left then right. The two had no way of knowing where to go and Amari was leading them deeper and deeper into the tunnel system.

“You’d never be one of those people, so you have very little to worry about.” Amari said in response. Pausing at a three way intersection briefly before choosing the middle path. She hadn’t the slightest clue what got Noel so jittery. Surely it wasn’t just the snakes. Amari made a mental note to ask him later. Right now, she was focused on trying to find the right way through the maze. For now, she was just following basic intuition. She figured at some point they’d come across some sign that’d point them in the correct direction.

Right?

Right?

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Wrong

“We’ve passed here before…” Amari muttered, running her hand over the notch she had made in the cave wall as her fingers glided over manmade ridges and bumps. She shivered, drawing away to rub away the goosebumps that formed on her arms. The cave was becoming colder, which means night was falling soon. If it hadn’t already. The tendrils of her Ar’Tuel light took no effort to keep hold of so light wasn’t an issue. They continued to sway gently behind her as if they were tentacles with a mind of their own.“What should we do from here?” Amari asked, turning to Noel. She was concerned that she had inadvertently gotten them lost.

“You’re asking me?” Noel responded in shock. It wasn’t like Amari to willingly seek help, especially to seek it without cursing up a storm.

“Yes, I’m clearly leading us in circles.” Amari muttered in a frustrated tone. “I wanted us to be out of here and done in a few days at most, but we’ve spent the day wandering around and backtracking. It’s fucked.”

Noel offered her a small smile, there it was. Still, her anger was subdued. He wondered if it had anything to do with the thinning and even disappearance of the dark lines that marred her body. Amari was overworking herself but at the same time - she was so much nicer right now. “We should rest.” Noel pointed past Amari, “If I recall there is a small cavern up ahead. We can set up camp there tonight and formulate a plan and move on from there.”

Amari scrunched up her face, “Resting is a waste of time.” Despite her words Amari turned and headed toward the small cavern. “Only for a few hours, we don’t want to lose track of time here nor do I want to be the one to get us killed. I didn’t exactly come in here with a contingency plan for escape.” Just as Noel predicted, their stead lead the two to a small cavern. They set up a small fire and unfurled their sleeping bags. Noel poked a few slivers of meat through metal skewers, and held them patiently over the fire as Amari watched. The four tendrils no longer protruded from her back, there was no need. The fire provided an adequate light source and thus far the two had been alone, the threat of an attack was minimal.

Amari bought her knees up to her chest and rested her chin atop them. She watched the small flames of the flickering fire dance before them. It’s light casting shadows across the small cavern. It was small, about 20 metres in diametre but the ceiling was high. Only the bottom of the stalagmites were visible before they ascended into an inky blackness above. The scent of charred wood and cooking meats did little to alleviate the thick smell of mildew that surrounded them.

“Noel.” Amari stated as she lifted her head slightly from her resting position. She told herself she’d try to see why her comrade was acting weird, now seemed like as good a time as any. “You’ve been uneasy since we let Ettemire. Surely it’s not just the fear of snakes. What is bothering you?”

Noel turned over the two meat skewers, juices dripped from them onto the fire which hissed. His grey-blue eyes briefly rose up to glance at her before shifting back down to the skewers.“I don’t think you would like the answer, Miss Red.” He paused, seeing if she would give up. She didn’t Noel could feel her golden and emerald gaze staring him down. “Fine.” Noel said with a sigh as he brushed back strands of black hair. “I’ve been thinking, and I’ve touched on this before Red but I’m saying it again.” Noel picked up one of the skewers and handed it to Amari. She took it in her hand and twirled it absently. He picked up the second and blew on it to cool the charred meat down. “I feel as though your actions greatly affect you as a person. The kinder the action, the less hostile you are, but any negative actions...they turn you into this crass, easily angered woman and If I may be so bold as to say...I much prefer you this way.” He bit into the meat and ripped a piece off with his front teeth. Noel continued between mouthfuls. “I’m just saying, it’s an aspect of your soul you should explore, or at least take note of.”

Amari took a bite of her own morsel of meat in a far more dainty fashion. She took a smaller bite and refused to talk whilst chewing she finished her mouthful and swallowed. Noel had been quite chatty on the topic of her attitude lately. It made her feel uncomfortable. He was her subordinate, yet he was quickly working out the more intimate details of her life. He realised things about herself before she did and Amari wasn’t sure if she liked it. Should she be grateful for this information? Should she scold him for speaking out of line? Amari wanted to deny his words but she had a feeling he spoke truth. She felt far less angry and bitter lately. “You may be right.” She said slowly, thoughtfully. “But - what use is that knowledge Noel? After this, we will return to the Inner Sanctum and I will return to Master Ulrokes side. You and I both know the work he has me do. Let’s say you are right, and I become more hostile by his side, what then? What do you expect me to do?”

Noel wanted to tell her he felt she should leave the Crimson Hand but that’d be hypocritical of him. Amari was so heavily involved and entwined with Lichensith Ulroke that he believed none of his words would reach her. Noel wasn’t sure what Ulroke did to cause such an unbreakable and strong loyalty within the red headed woman before him. He had heard the rumours; the methods of torture duress, both physical and mental, her immortality which yielded stronger and more brutal methods of suppression, what she felt had evolved beyond stockholm syndrome. It was a twisted form of respect and adoration. “I cannot expect you to do anything…” Noel muttered in a defeated tone, picking up a few scraps of wood and throwing them onto the dying fire. It crackled and hissed under the weight of the new fuel source. “Just keep an eye on it at least. You cannot do yourself, or Master Ulroke any good if you completely loose yourself.” Frankly, Noel didn’t give a crap about Ulroke, but he knew that mentioning the assassin would make her consider his words.

“You’ve chosen your words wisely…” Amari muttered, placing the now empty skewer by her side. Amari turned to unzip her sleeping bag. She had to consider his words. Noel wasn’t the first one to warn her of her actions, or what would become of her, in a sense he was beating a dead horse. It was all words she had heard before. He just managed to articulate them better than the others. “I’ll keep an eye on it.” Amari said to reassure Noel. “After this we will return to the Inner Sanctum and rest then we will follow the lead we have on the Ar’Tuel. My supposed race. In the meantime we should figure out how to navigate this maze.” She shuffled deeper into the warmth of the bag. Her stomach now full with a small meal. Her leg ached and her eyes were heavy.

“You take first watch.” She said with a yawn. “In a few hours we will formulate a plan to navigate this damn maze.” She shut her eyes. Forcing herself to drift off with thoughts of Noel and Ulroke dancing in her head.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    After a few hours of rest the two were packed up and off again this time with a plan in mind. Noel had the suggestion of using her tendrils to ‘sense’ any living things nearby. It was difficult but not impossible the two were now making headway. They seemed to be going the right direction, if the odd snake slithering by was any indication. “This was a good idea, Noel.” Amari said absently. Small beads of sweat dripped from her brow as she tried to concentrate. It’d be easier if they were tracking humans and not cold blooded reptilians.

Noel wrinkled his nose as he shoved his hands in his pockets. His eyes rose to the ceiling which was becoming lower. The tunnels they walked through began to grow more and more narrow. This wasn’t so much a problem for Amari who was small and petite but Noel was twice her size and he was beginning to grow uncomfortable. “Yeh.” Came his simple reply. “I hope I won’t get any more cramped.”

Amari shrugged. “Not my fault.”

“It Kinda is, you dragged us out here to chase some sword.”

Amari shot Noel a threatening glare but he was one of the few people who never backed down. He gave her a non surplussed stare back. “Watch it.” She snapped. Noel smirked at her and that was the end of their exchange as the two continued in silence. There were no more words to say between the two and with the appearance of more and more snakes, it was clear they were reaching their destination.

An hour of reserved walking had passed with nary anything worth mentioning. A kicked pebble here, a sneeze there. Nothing exciting, until there was a flicker of light ahead. “I reckon that’s our way out.” Amari said as she gestured toward the light with her chin. “If you need a rest or to prepare anything, best do it now because I can guarantee you there’s gonna be a giant ass snake on the other side of that-”

Amari felt Noels hand on her shoulder as he pulled her back. “Let’s leave our bags here, at most we lose a few supplies and I’d rather focus on the fight.” Noel dropped the dirtied rucksacks to the ground upheaving a cloud of dirt. He unclipped his large battle axe and gripped it tightly in his hands. “You should let me go first, you’re not exactly equipped for close combat.” He muttered as his eyes danced over her thin form. Amari wore no armour and held no weapons. Her forte’ was ranged combat and Noel didn’t want to see any harm befall her. “Please?”

Amari shook her head as she turned on her heel, stubborn as ever. “No can do. I’m leading this expedition besides if I die you can drag my corpse back in here and revive me. I can’t do that with you.” Noel tried to object but his words fell on deaf ears. Amari, much like Noel, did not want to see anything befall her comrade.

She paused just before they exited the catacombs and inhaled deeply before straining her eyes as she stepped into the light. Momentarily blinded by the stark contrast of brightness she struggled to see. She blinked away the dots that were dancing in front of her vision.

Before them, was a sight that may just be their last.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    In front of them lay the ravine, just as the old man said. It was at least 50 metres wide. Tall unscalable walls surrounded them. Bones and debris littered the floor, shadowed by the rocky ravine walls which were at a 90 degree angle with sharp angled rocks lining the bottom. The sun was high above them but there was an undeniable chill in the air. Snakes both alive and dead surrounded a very, very large sleeping monstrosity.

“The Basilisk…” Amari breathed as her eyes narrowed on the reptilian beast before her. Its silver scaled body was as thick as several trees were round. Its body was coiled round and round but it seemed to have no end, no tail in sight. The Basilisk eyes were currently closed as it appeared to be resting. It’s fangs protruded from under its triangular jaw, stained in a brownish red from the ichor of its past victims.

Amari stilled herself and the golden gleam of the four tentacles that protruded from her back hissed and crackled as an angry crimson colour bled into them. She was switching to an offensive mode.

“Still no chance of turning around eh?” Noel asked from behind her, he took a few steps to the side to avoid the violent swinging of Amari’s soul imbued tentacles. Amari smirked, “Not a chance - remember, don’t look into its eyes, not even a glance.”

Their voices must have woken the beast as the sound of tumbling rocks and the slither of scales sliding against scales echoed around the two in the narrow ravine. Amari whipped her head around to come face to face with the basilisk.

It’s artic blue eyes a shatter of colour like a frozen lake stared her down as its tongue flicked out, tickling the skin of her neck.

Well Shit…

The Basilisks eyes were wide and showed an intangible intelligence Amari wasn’t able to entirely comprehend. Didn’t the old man say any who met the snake’s gaze would die? She couldn’t pull her gaze away. She could feel an icy chill overtake her body freezing her in place and she was faintly aware of Noel’s frantic cries, but they sounded distant and far off as though they were nothing more than a distorted memory.

Time seemed to stand still and reality warped till there was nothing left but Amari and the giant, fearsome snake.

<Hello, Amari>

The feminine voice oozed into her mind like a thick honey. It placated her and made her feel completely at ease. Amari opened her mouth to say something, but found that no words left her lips.

<I am She, the Guardian of the Crystal Sword of the Snake.> The basilisk continued. <You seek the sword, do you not?>

Meanwhile, Noel was frantically thrashing his Axe against the basilisks body. The heavy iron bounced off its scales, doing little to no damage. “Dammit…” He hissed as the dropped the axe. His weapon was useless. His eyes wide with fear turned to look at Amari who was staring straight into the reptiles eyes. Her skin had taken on a pale hue and the tendrils of her soul had faded into nothing. She was transfixed. “Dammit Red...You warned me! And look what you fuckin’ do!”

Noel gave up on trying to attack the Basilisk and tried to pull Amari away back to the safety of the cavern but she was stuck to one place with some sort of incorporeal force. “Shit…” He swore as he buried his face into the crook of her neck. “Red, snap out of it!”

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Noel’s cries didn’t reach Amari, she was transfixed and to her the only two in existence was herself and the giant basilisk before her.

<You have an odd soul, Amari. It feels familiar. How intriguing.>

Amari furrowed her brows, the voice of the snake or as it called itself ‘She’ seemed to vibrate and echo within her head. Amari found that no matter how hard she tried to respond her words did not make a sound.

”Odd? Coming from a giant talking snake, isn’t your gaze supposed to kill any who look into it?” Amari thought at the snake, she figured if the damn thing was telepathic she’d be able to communicate that way. Her guess was right.

The Basilisk shook her head as though she were laughing, <Not quite. My gaze peers into the soul, their existence. If I don’t deem them worthy I devour them or feed them to my many children.>

”What of me then? I’m in a bit of a rush and I think Noel may be screaming, and I’m pretty sure I’m dying… so if you don’t mind either eat me or tell me how I get this damn sword.”

The basilisk drew in with a hiss as thick venom dripped from her fangs. The white droplets landed on Amari’s shoulders and the leather from her jacket sizzled and hissed as it melted away. Black steaming globs dripped off and landed onto the ground in small plops. Amari wanted to wince from the pain but it appeared her physical body was literally frozen in place.

<YOU….Amari….> She hissed with anger. <Are an enigma, I see a pure light brimming with life…> She cocked her head to the side as if studying Amari. Her long black tongue licked out, forked tendrils tickling Amari’s skin <I see a darkness that promises death and I see an imbalance between the two.> She lowered her head so her eyes were face to face with Amaris. <Your body is slowly freezing. If I can’t make a decision, you will die.>

Amari frowned, she didn’t like the fact that her potential life was in the hands of a indecisive and overgrown snake. She wasn’t sure if her soul would make it out of the gut of this strange creature, her immortality wasn’t so timeless. ”I can make it for you, I’d rather not fight honestly - just hand -err… slither it over and I’ll turn and walk on outta here. No harm, no foul.” Amari briefly wondered if it was a faux paux to ask a snake to hand something over, surely such a reptile wouldn’t care?

The snake seemed to study her for a moment. She was silent and had no recognisable facial features so her thoughts were an enigma to Amari. <You’re not tainted with the death of my spawn, you didn’t kill any snakes on your way here.> She spoke as though she were asking a question, but it was rhetorical. She could read Amari like a book, and knew the answer. Her next words sounded thoughtful and had an air of finality to them, as though she made her decision. <Snakes are enigmatic and intuitive -we act on our own judgement. We see what we want and we take it. You, Amari prevail in all these traits. You show no ire to my kin. Even if I denied you and swallowed you whole - you would not stop.>

”Yeh, you got that right. I’d probably burn a hole right through you, thrash around till you died from internal bleeding. Even if I died I’d have my companion pull me out and bring me back to life. I’d not stop till you were nothing more than a gelatinous glob on the ground.” Amari paused, sighing. ”But I’d rather avoid that. I think we’d both prefer to keep our bodies, and our lives intact, no?”

She nodded at Amari’s words. <That. I feel as though I have come to a decision, Amari. You may have the sword, you may have me> Without any other warning She opened her jaw wide, arched up and scooped Amari into her mouth and swallowed the woman whole.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    It happened in slow motion, Amari’s form was ripped from his desperate fingers as the Basilisks tongue wrapped around her cold body. It’s venomous saliva burning through the leathers of her coat and reddening the flesh of her skin. The snake tilted its head up and before Noel could act Amari was gone.

Gone.

Gone...

A few seconds of silence followed as Noel tried to process what happened. Red was strong, unbelievably so. Despite her naivety she managed to gain respect and authority wherever she tread. Despite her cruel demeanor she had a loving and caring side that was being quashed and destroyed by Ulroke. Noel felt like he was slowly bringing it out, if he could have gotten Red to smile or laugh just once…. Just once… instead - she was devoured before his eyes.

“I’LL KILL YOU!” Noel screamed as he rushed toward the giant basilisk bending to pick up his axe along the way

‘Thwak!

‘Thwak!

Thwak!

His axe continuously bounced off of the giant Basilisk, who didn’t pay Noels onslaught any mind. “PAY ATTENTION YOU FUCKING FUCK!” Noel screamed as salty tears streaked down his face. His voice broke with a pain that manifested itself in a blind rage. Slash after slash uselessly bounced off its scales.

“BRING HER BACK!” He dropped his axe and soon after dropped to his knees. Noel felt utterly useless and utterly alone. Why did he agree to this? Why pander to her every whim and need when he knew it’d place her in trouble? “Please?” Noel’s head dropped as his fingers curled into fists. He began punching the ground in frustration.

The Basilisk didn’t even pay him any mind, it just there staring blankly ahead as though it were frozen in place. Noel clenched his teeth. “WHY NOT ME? YOU ATE HER? BUT YOU ACT AS THOUGH I DON’T EXIST?” He bellowed.

That seemed to get its attention, the snake twisted its head and locked artic eyes with Noel’s steely blue gaze. Noel found his breath caught in his throat and could feel goosebumps erupt on his skin as the air around him grew cold. The ravine blurred, and his world was naught but the Basilisks cold, cold, gaze.

<”I see… you love her, don’t you?”> Once again the question was rhetorical, She didn’t need an answer she could see right through Noel. She could see his desires, his needs, his sins and his virtue. Her tongue flicked out and danced over Noel’s cheek. <”If she fails, you can join her if you like.. .”>
    Last edited by Mari; 02-02-17 at 07:03 AM.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    That was unexpected.

One minute Amari was having a somewhat amicable conversation with a snake who may or may not be the physical embodiment of a sword that may or may not exist. The next, she had been swallowed…whole.

Being swallowed is a feeling that is difficult to describe, Amari felt like she was being tightly hugged by a slimy, sweaty, undulating slide. Amari found it difficult to breath as she was being squeezed from all sides.

Dammit…. Was this all a goddamn trick? Amari thought to herself as she tried to push against the walls of the snake’s stomach. The struggle caused a disgusting smelling liquid to ooze from the inner lining of the fleshy prison. It dripped onto Amari and hissed, slowly burning through her leather attire. Amari grit her teeth, she’d be digested before long. She had to do something… The Basilisk said she was the sword, so Amari didn’t want to risk injuring the snake in cause it would transfer to the physical sword breaking. If killing wasn’t going to work - perhaps….

Amari forced her eyes shut and the four tentacles flickered and extended from her back in a glimmering golden light. They brushed along the fleshy meat prison, pushing back against the constricting muscles and allowing Amari a little more ‘wriggle room’. Amari took a deep breath and instantly regretted it. The air, or lack thereof was sour and tasted like bitter decay.

Well, the only thing I can do is push forward before this digestive juice shit burns me alive.

If it came to it, Amari would cut herself out of the snake, and call the sword a loss- but she wasn’t about to give up yet. Amari crawled forward, elbow over elbow. It was painful, it was slimy, and it was hot. Sweat dripped from her forehead as she persevered. Two metres, 5 metres, 20 metres… the snake’s intestinal tract didn’t seem to have an end. Just as Amari was ready to call it and rip herself out of the living beast her hand touched the familiar sensation of cool stone. What the…

Amari’s hands wrapped around the hilt of it. Well fuck me… she hought as she picked up the sword. It’s blade was either crimson, or covered in blood at this stage Amari couldn’t tell.

<”Well done, Amari… “>

The Basilisks words echoed in her mind as the meat around her began to crumble into ash. Amari felt a rumble as the very meaty ground beneath her began to collapse.

In a puff of ash Amari was freed from the prison, coughing and dripping with hissing digestive juices. The tattered remains of her clothes clung desparetely to her raw red flesh. Her hair was matted and stuck to her face and her eyes were watery and bloodshot. Amari couldn’t see a damn thing. She coughed and breathed in lungfuls of air.

Amari fell forward, her head colliding with the cold late and rock of the ravine floor, Amari welcomed the sensations after crawling hand over hand inside a giant snake. Her hand still gripped the sword tightly. “T-Told you…” she gasped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast