Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hidden Dragon (Crystal Sword Hunt)

EXP: 15,350, Level: 5
    Level completed: 23%, EXP required for next level: 4,650
    Level completed: 23%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,650
    GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile

Hidden Dragon (Crystal Sword Hunt)

Radasanth's great library towered over neighboring buildings, its stone girth casting a long shadow in the mid-afternoon sun. Intricate masonry around the main entrance detailed the heads of lions and tigers and scaly dragons. The entry hall boasted a floor of well swept marble, with pillars holding up the lofty ceilings and paintings displayed on the walls. Inside the library proper felt much more cramped; large shelves lined the walls and created neat aisles across the many rooms. Well stuffed armchairs occupied free space between the shelves, and in one particular chair beside a west-facing stained glass window sat a young half elf. He wore green sifan clothing and a floppy canvas cap, and had a black silk scarf knotted around his neck.

Jacob Narmolanya removed his cap to scratch his head, unruly dirty blond locks spilling free. The half elf sneezed for the third time in thirty minutes. The whole bloody library smelled like dust, and the odor had grown stronger and more abrasive when he opened the heavy leather bound volume on his lap. Jake disliked being inside, and even more so disliked poring over ancient texts. But he saw no other option, for a mystery had caught his interest, and with nothing better to do Jake followed the clues headfirst.

Since leaving Underwood he'd felt somewhat aimless. In the woodland city he'd barely had a moment to himself, between his duties to the Town Watch and his training under Joshua "Breaker" Cronen. But Breaker had departed Underwood in search of greater things, and Jake could think of no better path than to follow in his mentor's footsteps. He'd journeyed to Radasanth and fought a couple duels in the Citadel, but soon even the legendary battleground became boring to the half elf. He wanted adventure. He wanted action. He wanted romance as well, but tended to get tongue-tied around pretty girls so he decided to stick with the first two.

And then he'd heard tell of the Crystal Swords. A bevvy of rumors had circulated among the taverns Jake frequented, speaking of the ancient, magical blades made from crystal pulled from deep within the Twilight Mountains. Enchanted by elves and forged by dwarfs, the swords had sat in a vault in Alerar until mysteriously disappearing following a great battle. Jake turned a page, holding his breath for a moment so as not to inhale more dust. The volume in his lap was written by an Alerian scholar who had an obsession with the Dragon Blade, also called the Wood Blade. Of all the Crystal Swords, the Dragon had piqued Jake's interest. He had grown up in Concordia, living among the trees, and felt a natural affinity for woods. He was confused as to exactly how the blade could be wood, especially since the book seemed certain the sword was forged from steel.

Jake took a deep, calming breath and instantly regretted it as he sneezed violently. The half elf pulled a handkerchief from a pocket in his sifan jacket and blew his nose noisily, drawing glares from other library goers. He put the handkerchief away sheepishly and closed the volume carefully. He had skimmed through what he hoped were the important parts and actually read the entire final chapter, where the author posited that the Dragon Blade had never ventured far from its birthplace in the Twilight Mountains.

The half elf heaved to his feet and lugged the heavy volume back to its proper place on the shelf, his leather boots whispering across the marble floor. He'd been in the library for the better part of an hour, and that felt like enough bloody research. Jake had never hunted down a hidden sword before, but he had hunted many demons in his young lifetime, and his experience taught him that the best way to find something was to look. He would need to journey to Alerar first though, and for that he would need....

"Pardon me," Jake said, stopping at the long oaken desk that sat beside the entryway, "do you have any recent drawings of Ettermire?"
    Jake Narmolanya - Child of Concordia

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    The librarian looked down her nose at Jake, eyes gazing over the top of her squarish spectacles.

"Are you looking for a picture book?" She asked kindly, pushing curly tresses of blonde hair behind her ears.

Do I seem like I can't read? Jake wondered. He thought he looked rather dashing in his stylish sifan clothing. Perhaps if I show her what a gentleman I am. He swept off his floppy canvas cap and gave the woman a courtly bow.

"That would suffice," he said, choosing his words carefully so as to sound well-read. "Any image of any location in Alerar would suit my purposes, truly. Might you be off assistance?"

The librarian gave him a quizzical look but pushed back her chair and rose, beckoning for Jake to follow. She led him down a long line of shelves and around a corner to an alcove at the back of the room. A lone shelf stood there, somewhat disjointed from the rest of the racks. New looking books and scrolls sat neatly along its length, catalogued according to some order that Jake could not decipher.

"Most of our material on Alerar is here," the blonde woman said. She pulled a thin volume with stiff, new leather binding off the shelf and opened it to a page near the middle. "This edition of Steam Engines and Alchemy contains a few images. There are drawings of a zeppelin, an alchemist's lab, and an abandoned steam shop..." she leafed through the book until she found a two page spread of a large room containing a host of Alerian machines, as well as some more recognizable features like anvils and bellows.

"Perfect!" Jake exclaimed, accepting the proffered volume and examining the image intently. "So this is what an Alerian steam shop looks like. May I take this with me?" He asked, emerald eyes widening with hope.

"You most certainly may not!" The librarian exclaimed, somewhat shocked at the notion, "however you may look over it as much as you like. Now if there isn't anything else, I'd best get back to work." The half elf nodded his thanks and the woman strode away, heeled boots clicking on marble tile.

"Bloody perfect," Jake muttered to himself. He would have to commit the image to memory, which meant more time spent in the dusty building. He returned to his chair and spent nearly another hour poring over the picture, implanting it firmly in his mind. By the time he returned the volume to its shelf and ventured back outside the sun had nearly dipped below the horizon.

"Hello Gunner," Jake said cheerily to his dappled gelding, and got a snort in response. The horse was not fond of being left out in the cold for hours on end, and although the winter was a mild one frost coated the cobblestone streets, and the chill crept through Jake's fine sifan clothing. He packed Gunner's blanket away in his side-bags and swung up into the saddle. He dug his heels into his steed's flanks and the pair trotted away from the library, following a familiar path out of town.

As shadows grew all around him, extending to the point of near darkness, Jake left Radasanth proper and entered the forest on the city's fringe. He found it best not to put his skills on display for just anyone.

Arriving in a shaded woodland glade, Jake jumped out of the saddle and concentrated. His breath misted on a gentle breeze as he recalled every detail of the steam shop he'd seen in the book; the angle of the anvils, the complex machines, and even the tools scattered across workbenches. As the image crystallized in his mind a doorway appeared before him. A simple oak door with a brass knob, which protected one of the half elf's patented portals. He took a deep breath of chilly Corone air and twisted the knob, opening the door and leading Gunner through.

Two leather boots and four iron horseshoes clopped onto the cement floor of an abandoned steam shop in the heart of Ettermire. Jake Narmolanya had arrived in Alerar.

EXP: 38,655, Level: 8
    Level completed: 41%, EXP required for next level: 5,345
    Level completed: 41%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,345
    GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Emerald, yellow ring around iris
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari had been left alone in Alerar. She sent Noel, one of the few people she trusted back to the Inner Sanctum with the spoils of their previous escapade into the rocky mountains.

Amari didn't very much like Ettimere, it had a noxious smell to it, no doubt it had to do with the overworked machinery. It was loud and the people were all arrogant. Moreso - she had gained some sort of notoriety within the streets. Her kind deeds did not go unnoticed. Her efforts in handing out the hand woven spidersilk respirators and in healing many of the sick and elderly quickly spread throughout parts of the large town.

As Amari trudged through the streets she was stopped every so often by someone offering their 'eternal gratitude'. It rubbed her the wrong way. It felt unnatural, almost wrong to have people being kind to her, thanking her. She wasn't sure how she felt about it. If Amari had it her way, she'd leave right now and return to the Sanctum, away from the cheery faces and away from the noise. She still hadn't had a chance to rest for more than a day.

I need information on the rest of those damn swords

The rumour mill was alive and well, and Amari was attempting to gain information. In fact, she was heading toward an old, abandoned steam shop to meet up with someone to discuss the resurgence of another sword within Alerar. The Crystal Dragon Sword.

Amari approached the abandoned place, and instead of walking in shifted to the side to the alleyway. She smirked. It was almost like those old crime scenarios she had heard about. Shady dealings in dark alleys. How cliche'd. She noticed the other figure and gave a nod of her head to him.

"Hey, you're the one with the information?"

The middle aged man, whom was leaning against the wall grinned as she pushed himself off of it. "Aye, Red. I am. I'll tell you all about the location of the Dragon Crystal Sword." Despite their attempts to keep the conversation between themselves, their voices reverberated off the walls. Echoing around them. Amari would have claimed it was a bad idea to meet in such a place, if not for the fact that it was completely deserted.

"Oh? And What do you expect in return?" Amari shot back.

The main seemed taken aback by her rude response. "N-nothing. Miss..." his tone was filled with gratitidue. "One of the sick children you healed. She is my daughter." He reached out and clasped Amari's hand, giving it a tight squeeze. "If it were not for you, she'd have left this world. The information I hold is nothing in comparison to a loved ones life."

Amari grimaced. Great, another one o' these guys She pried her gloved hand away from him and wiped it on her black leather jacket before shoving it into one of her deep pockets. "Right. Right." Amari muttered. "So, tell me what you know then."

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    The steam shop stank of mildew and more bloody dust. Jake pulled his scarf up to cover his nose and mouth, unveiling twin round white scars on the right side of his neck. A vampire had bitten him nearly ten years ago, when he was a member of the Bandit Brotherhood under the tutelage of Damon Kaosi. Fortunately Jake had slain the beast before it could transfer its plague to his veins. Damon had nearly cut him down for fear he would change.

The half elf allowed memories to flood his mind as he meandered through the shop, towing a grunting Gunner with one hand and holding the scarf over his face with the other. The wove between anvils, workbenches, heavy contraptions and strange devices. Everything looked frosted under the dust. The half elf and the horse left behind prints in sets of six as they found their way to a boarded up front door.

Jake wheeled Gunner about so the horse's rear faced the boards.

“Kick,” Jake commanded with a broad smile. Gunner gave him a level stare.

“Gunner, kick.” Jake said more clearly, pointing at his lips.

The horse snorted and tossed his head.

“Come on boy, we worked on this!” Jake groaned, pressing his palm into his forehead so his cap tipped back. “Look,” he said, reaching toward Gunner's flank, “if you make me, I'll-”

The horse whinnied and kicked with both back hooves, blasting the boarded up door off its hinges. The pile of wood and nails fell flat in the street. Jake and Gunner ventured into the empty street, the sound of horseshoes echoing off high hard walls. For a moment the place reminded him of an abandoned town he'd once visited in Scara Brae. But when he listened he could hear the bustle of people, and the distant whine of heavy machinery.

Ettermire could not have been more alien compared to Corone or Scara Brae, or even bloody Salvar for that matter. He saw poured cement and metal in place of cobbled stone and wood. Towers with rounded architecture in place of squat, squarish buildings. And the air smelled of machine exhaust rather than horse manure. Jake even spotted an airship in the distance as it passed between two towers. The half elf shook his head, wondering what could keep those hulking great contraptions aloft. Perhaps the dark elves secretly were fond of magic, after all.

Jake put one foot in a stirrup and one hand on the pommel and vaulted into the saddle. A faint breeze tickled the dirty blond locks spilling out the front of his cap, but the chill could not bite through his layered clothing. It seemed the winter was even milder here than in Corone. A strong mid-afternoon sun shone through what looked like a perpetual haze of pollution. Jake wondered if he should still be wearing his scarf over his face.

“What do you think, boy?” Jake asked, patting his horse on the head. “Shall we go and find a crystal sword?” He waited for a response, and, getting none, heeled Gunner gently into a slow walk. He had plenty of time to find a tavern before dark, and taverns could be as great a source of information as they were ale. At least, he hoped they bloody well had ale in Alerar.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    “Once again, Miss Red - I and many of us here within Ettemire are eternally grateful for you and your services.” The man grasped her hand again in a firm shake. Blissfully unaware that the woman he praised, and the hands he held were involved in many a death, pain, and torture. “Don’t mention it.” Amari retorted. Just as he went to let go she tightened her grip, her parting words a warning. “No realy, don’t. I ain’t the good samaritan you think I am.” The man gave her a curious look as he pulled his hand away.

“I know not of your past, Miss Red - but I know of your actions within this town. I know of your plight against the Cave Spiders, and how you hand stitched each and every respirator you gave out. Regardless of who you feel you are, those actions speak far louder than perceptions or words.” He offered her a warm smile before shifting out of the alley. Sidestepping a man and his horse. “Don’t see that every day…” He mused to himself.

Amari sighed, running her hand through her hair, pushing the crimson tendrils out of her face. Why is everyone saying that lately? She pressed her back against the cool, stone wall, shifting her gaze skyward. Alerar was far different to Salvar, here she could see the bright blue sky, and the soft wisps of cloud that dotted it every so often. “What do they know…” She muttered, pushing herself off the wall.

She knew where she had to go now, this one would prove to be easier to obtain. It was held by a group of bandits along the Twilight Mountains, and boy did Amari know a thing or two about bandits. Amari shifted her gaze to a blonde youth atop a horse.

“What the-?”

It was an odd sight to be sure. Amari stared at him as he passed her with unabashed curiosity. He was insane. The streets here were no place for a horse. She shrugged. It wasn’t her problem. “Dumb ass Bandits probably don’t know they even have a Crystal Sword…” She said as she turned on her heel, following the direction of the out-of-place youth.

The horse stopped, and the lad shifted, glancing over his shoulder at Amari. Sea-green eyes staring at her with curiosity. “Did you just say Crystal….” He trailed off. His eyes narrowed. “Do I know you?” He shifted and slid off his horse as if to approach her.

Amari took a step back. who the hell is this guy? “Awful lotta questions to ask a stranger, don’t you think?” Amari asked. Standing her ground. She shifted her weight to one side, and crossed her arms. There was something oddly familiar about the pointy eared man, but she couldn’t pick it. Perhaps he shared the same sentiments?

“More importantly...why do you wanna know?”

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    Out of Character:
    Amari parts written by Mari.

Jake stared at the confrontational redhead, his brow crinkled. Where have I seen her before? He wondered, she looks Salvic. The last time I was in Salvar...

"By Trisgen's hammer!" Jake exclaimed as he put a name to the face, "Amari?" A look of confusion passed through the woman's emerald eyes, but Jake felt certain. She had ripened with age, becoming more beautiful over the years, but she was the same girl he had met in Salvar some ten years prior. "It's me, Jake!" He said with a broad grin, "Jake Narmolanya!" He stepped forward as if to hug her but stopped short and settled for an awkward wave. If he recalled correctly, Amari's brother had placed enchantments on her which created even more awkward sensations at any touch from a man. And on that note... her brother had been on the verge of killing her when last Jake saw them. "I'm so glad to see you well," he said. He reached back and grasped his steed's bridle. "This is Gunner," he performed an introductory half-bow, "Gunner, meet Amari."

"Excuse me?" Amari said, her emerald eyes still distant, “I suppose I knew a Jake once...the half elf kid from my Birthday?" She uncrossed her arms, at which point Jake realized his gaze had wandered down to her bosom. “It’s Red. Not Amari.” She said coldly, not giving him the reunion he had hoped for. Upon closer inspection of her skin (not her chest), her skin seemed to have black fractures etched upon it. As though someone had dropped her and pieced her back together.

"That's right!" He said, lifting his eyes to meet hers once more. "What are you doing in Ettermire? And what-" he looked around and lowered his voice unnecessarily. The street was still deserted. "What do you know about the Crystal Swords?" He asked in a stage whisper.

"What am I doing? I shan’t think that is any of your fuckin’ business." Amari said rather irritably, brushing a lock of crimson hair away from her face, “As for what I know about the Crystal Swords... well, what do you know? Why should I tell you?"

"I know that the Dragon Blade is somewhere here in Alerar," Jake said proudly, "I came here to learn more and hunt it down." He beamed at her and struck a heroic pose with one hand on the collar of his shirt.

"Oh, Jake," Amari said with snort, "you haven't changed much, have you? Still oblivious to the situation at hand." Her emerald eyes seemed to peer into his soul.

"I've grown enough that you hardly recognized me," the half elf grinned, "what more would you change? Come on," he beckoned with his free hand, "let me buy you a mug of ale. There must be a tavern around here somewhere."

She grimaced at the mention of ale. “Rather not that swill. Though, if you’re offering there is a place just a few streets this way," Amari said, walking at his side and patting Gunner's flank, being far more affectionate to the horse than she was to Jake.

"Whiskey, then?" Jake inquired. His old instructor Joshua Cronen had often praised Alerian whiskey.

"Suppose so," Amari replied. Her expression still seemed guarded, her body language remained tense as the conversation wore on.

Jake tried to chat about inconsequential things as they wound through the grid-like streets to a much more crowded area. Gunner drew many a raised eyebrow, but Jake ignored the strange looks. Hadn't these people ever seen a bloody horse before? Soon they arrived outside a cement building with large, reflective windows. Jake tied Gunner's reigns to a metal post protruding from the ground and led Amari inside.

"You find us a place to sit," he suggested, "I'll get the drinks." They parted ways and the half elf approached the bar.

"One ale and one whisky, please," he said, drumming his hands on the fine mahogany counter. The server gave him a long flat look and then replied in slightly accented Tradespeak.

"Of course, sir." The slender dark elf took his time drawing a mug of ale and pouring a squat tumbler of whiskey. "Will that be all?" he asked as he slid the vessels across the bar.

"All for the moment," Jake replied cheerily. He clapped a thick Coronian crown on the counter and lifted the drinks. The barkeep picked the coin up as if it were a dead rat. "Is something wrong with my money?" Jake asked.

"Nothing, sir." The server said, dropping the crown in a box behind the counter, "it is quite quaint."

Jake nodded his thanks and looked about, spotting Amari at a lonely table near the back of the room. He delivered her whiskey with a flourish and then sat opposite the redhead and took a long pull of ale. It was less full bodied and bitter than the stuff back home, but still wet his lips with a pleasant bubbly sensation. He wiped suds from his mouth with the back of a hand and grinned. What luck, to run into an old friend in this foreign land. And a friend who knew of the Crystal Swords! Jake often felt blessed by the Thayne, but this was something else entirely.

"So," Jake said covertly around another mouthful of ale, "what do you know of the Dragon Blade?"

"Not much," Amari replied. She sipped her whiskey daintily, and Jake found himself examining her full lips as they cradled the glass. He blinked and downed the better half of his ale.

"Come on Ama- I mean, Red... you can tell me," Jake wheedled, "you have heard tell of it, haven't you?"

She shot him a glare, and opened her mouth as if to say something, but stopped. She cleared her throat and re-positioned herself in the chair, leaning forward. "Very well," the redhead took a breath, "All I know is that it may be in the possession of a group of bandits known for marauding along the road to the Mountains of Twilight." She quirked an eyebrow slightly as if wondering what Jake would do with the information.

"That's great!" Jake exclaimed, looking out the window at the sky to thank the heavens, "I can't believe how... HEY! Someone's trying to steal Gunner!" Outside he spotted a female dark elf in a strange uniform working at untying his steed's reigns. Jake slammed his mug down and raced out the door, skidding to a halt at the woman's side. "What are you doing?" He demanded, reaching a hand up to grasp Gunner's bridle.

"Oh," the dark elf said, looking at Jake like the answer to a question that had been bothering her, "sir I'm afraid you can't tie your... vehicle... to this parking meter without paying."

Jake's eyes grew wide. He stared at the uniformed elf, and then at the metal pole. It was a contraption of some kind, with a dial on the front and a slot for coins on the side. Jake clapped a hand to his head and removed his hat, giving the woman an apologetic bow.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't realize," he said. He pulled another Coronian crown from his pocket and jammed it into the machine.

"No sir, please don't-" the elf groaned and knuckled her forehead. "That will have to be repaired now," she said as if berating herself, "it isn't designed for such fat coins."

"Oh I'm sorry-" Jake began, but the woman walked away, muttering to herself and scribbling on a pad of paper.

"Jake," Amari said from behind him, "perhaps we should go somewhere else to talk. You’re making a scene."
    Last edited by Jake Narmolanya; 01-24-17 at 04:45 PM.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Jake agreed and followed her through the streets, estranged whispers still followed the two. The redheaded woman in black who singlehandedly aided a large portion of their sick and dying population and a strange half elf with an even stranger dappled grey horse. It was a good thing that ‘laying low’ was not a priority right now because the two stuck out like sore thumbs. Jake seemed completely oblivious to the attention, either that or he chose to ignore it.

“Where are we goin’ Amari?”

Amari flinched at the use of her real name. She lead Jake down a small alley and quickly turned on him. Her fingers entwined into his soft, black scarf as she pressed him hard against the cold and cracked wall her face mere inches from his. Her eyes, a brilliant green with a gold rim around her iris’ speckled with shards of red stared into his bewildered sea-green gaze. “I fuckin’ told you, it’s Red now.”

“Y-your eyes…” Jake stammered, his gaze dancing over Amari’s facial features. “Y-your skin too.... “ He said seeing the faded cracks that danced across her cheeks. Despite sharing a small drink and the exchange of words it seemed he was only just noticing her, his brows furrowed and his tone turned to one of concern. “What happened to you Ama-Red?” He reached to trace the marred parts of her skin but his hand wavered in the air. Amari grabbed it and slammed it against the brick wall beside his head.

“Cut the damn ‘happy-go-lucky’ act!” Amari snapped. She didn’t like it, she didn’t like that someone from her past just came up out of nowhere. It rubbed her the wrong way. Sure, she remembered him, she vaguely remembered fond memories of him, but she also remembered how he ran away from her, tail between his legs all those years ago.

Amari didn’t wait for a response, she continued her onslaught of questions. “Who are you working for? Why are you looking for the swords? You expect me to believe you ‘just so happened’ to end up in the same place at the same time as me?” Amari lowered her voice to a threatening whisper. “Too much of a fuckin’ coincidence if you ask me.”

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    Jake's friendly smile fell from his face. Amari had been such a sweet girl when they met all those years ago in Salvar, despite her brother's monstrous ministrations. What could have changed her temperament so violently? The half elf reached up with the hand that wasn't pinned to the wall and gently freed himself from Amari's grip. She let go of his scarf and wrist but did not move out of his space, glaring defiantly into his eyes from a few inches away. The red flecks whirling in her emerald orbs unsettled him, so he looked down and found himself staring at her cleavage again. Bloody hell! He cast his eyes up at the smoggy sky and then down the alley. People passed along the main road but few glanced their way, and those that did barely looked past Gunner, who stood sideways to the street, giving them some privacy. Jake sighed.

"Look, uh, Red," Jake said, "I'm not working for anyone. I heard tell of the Crystal Swords in Corone and came here to find the Dragon." Jake doffed his cap and scratched at his unruly blond locks. "The way I heard it, everyone in the known world is interested in these swords, but only a choice few have the courage to seek them. Maybe it's not a coincidence we met," he said, shuffling his boots and examining the pavement beneath them, "maybe it's fate. Maybe we were meant to seek the Dragon Blade together. I don't know if I believe in that sort of thing, but seeing you... I never thought I'd see you again, Ama--Red."

Jake's green eyes glazed slightly as old memories flitted through his mind. He remembered Amari's kindness, how she had invited him to share her birthday dinner and bathe in her tub, and sleep in her brother's bed. He remembered how her brother had returned to the house unexpectedly and injected her with some sort of serum. The blank look on Amari's face as her brother held a sword to her throat and ordered Jake to leave haunted him. The half elf had fled, to his shame, for he had seen no other way to keep the Salvic girl alive.

Maybe that's why she's mad at me, he reasoned, because I ran away. Jake had been angry with himself for months following that night, but eventually realized he'd done all he could. And then he realized something else. He'd touched Amari when he'd loosened her grip on his scarf, and she hadn't shied away. Maybe the curses her brother placed on her have worn off, or been removed, he reasoned.

Jake's sea green eyes met Amari's emerald ones and held her gaze despite the dancing red flecks. He opened his arms slowly, as if approaching a wild beast, and wrapped them around her shoulders in a long-awaited hug. Her perfume reminded him of the forest back home.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't save you," he whispered, "I don't know what's happened to you over the years, but I'm sorry for that too." If he'd only taken her away, she might have had a better life. Tears welled at the corners of Jake's eyes and he gave the Salvic girl an extra squeeze. "Most of all," he added in a voice so small he had to speak into her ear, "I'm glad you're alive."

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    “I’m glad you’re alive.”

His voice was a heated whisper on the nape of her neck, his tone spoken in hushed heartache. Amari felt wet patches on her temple where his eyes pressed against her, they trailed down her cheek as he cried. Be it in relief, sadness, guilt, or happiness… those tears were for her. Amari wanted to question why. They had only met the one time and their encounter was a short one, so why was he expressing such strong emotions?

Amari stood motionless in the shadowed alley. Her arms limply at her sides. She could easily wrap her hands around him and sling him to the floor, she could use her abilities and hang him dangling lifelessly above her but she didn’t. Instead she stood still. The lingering scent of diesel hung in the air and the faint sounds of machinery whirred in the background some several blocks away, the town was a bustling hub of commerce. Yet in this moment the two stood in silence, away from the whispers of passerbys and away from the hustle and bustle of the main streets. Warmth leaked from his body into hers as he tightened his embrace around her.

Whatever anger Amari felt trickled away in those moments. Her thoughts briefly thought of Noel, and his words. I’m growing soft. She thought to herself. Amari shook her head to snap herself out of her daze as she took two steps back. Jake reluctantly let her go and wiped his eyes.

Amari shifted her gaze away from him. “I don’t know if I can believe you Jake. A lot has happened and-”

“Tell me! Please!” He interjected as he broached the gap between them again, his hands clasped her shoulders in a desperate attempt to reach out to the closed off woman. “What happened to Amari? What happened to that kind, sweet girl who offered a stranger a place away from the cold? What happened to the girl who fed me and laughed at my jokes? What happened to the innocent naivety of such a kind soul?”

His questions came hard and fast flowing between aching breaths and sobs.“She died.” Amari said quite simply. “Literally.” Amari shifted her tri-coloured gaze toward Jake knowing it was clear he would not let up until she talked. Jake really was lucky, if he had caught her just a week ago he’d be writhing on the ground with severe burns and illness.

“I could show you,” Amari said softly as she reached out to brush blonde locks away from his eyes. “But you will not like what you see, or feel. I’d throw you into snippets of my memories and you’d know. You’d know how worthless it is to bother with such emotions. Those feelings are a waste and the sooner you learn that caring and friendship are nothing more than falsities, the better.”

Her cold, frightful words didn’t deter him like she thought they would. Instead they drove him with an unseen and unknown determination. “Show me!” Jake snapped with ferocity. “Show me why you’d say such horrible things!”

“As you wish.” Amari reached out with her other hand, and her thumbs gently rested upon his temples. She pressed lightly against them and Jake was thrown into a world of darkness.

FLASH
    I was in chains, naked and surrounded by men who were already pleasuring themselves at the sight of me. I had a small kris in my hand and was told to kill the crying noble before me, my neighbour, else he’d be tortured in front of me. “A-Amari...I don’t want to die...please…” My heart ached at his words.

“Please don’t make me…” I whispered.

The noble boy continued to cry I didn’t want to, but the man...that Silver haired demon stared down at me. I knew he’d torture him, I knew that if I didn’t end his life here - he’d have a far worse fate befall him. This man was making me take a life, the one thing I promised I would never do, but what choice did I have?

I drew the blade quickly across the youth’s throat before dropping it. Sobbing into my own hands. My action was met with disapproval, I had been too kind according to the man who forced me to call him Master.

Immediately, the two burly thugs dropped their chains and the corpse slicked into a muddy puddle of his vitae. The men in the room roared with excitement. As the chains were taken off him and clipped to my own bindings, with a click of the silver haired mans fingers, the lewd men charged at me.

FLASH
    My vision was blurry as I stared first at a tiefling whose pittiless black eyes looked down upon me with an insatiable hunger as he tore off another section of my flesh with nothing but his bare hands. I writhed, making the bloodless flaying more painful. I shrieked, unable to process the sheer pain that wracked my bleeding body. An odd sensation of pleasurable ecstasy rippled through my body seconds later and I whimpered.

My eyes shifted to a silver haired man who sat leaning over a chair covered in strips of my flesh. A small grin across his pale features.

I gave another scream; the deep throbbing burn of the lacerations in my leg; the nettling fire of being peeled one bit at a time. Even the cool air still managing to slither into the room despite the doors being closed... it was too much...I could feel my heartbeat weaken and finally stop as the suffocating blackness of death took it’s hold.

Amari watched with cold eyes as Jake fell to his knees. Blank eyes staring ahead at the dusty alley wall before him. “Tenderness is nothing more than a weakness to be exploited.” Amari turned her back on him.

“If you still want to find the sword, I’ll be at the Inn on corner of 3rd and 5th. Room 405. Knock three times. Until then, goodbye Jake.” She wiped her hands on her leather coat. She didn't like reliving the worst of her memories, but the youth needed to see the world the same way she did. There was no escape, no choice. Nothing but cause and effect.

Amari shifted past the horse, offering it a wry smile as she patted its flank. "Easy, now."

Amari was sure that the youth wouldn't follow her after such a mental ordeal which meant she could find another Crystal Sword in peace.

GP

Name
    Jacob Narmolanya
    Race
    Human-Elf
    Hair Color
    Dirty Blond
    Eye Color
    Sea Green
    Build
    5'9" / 145 lbs.
    Job
    Demon Hunter

View Profile
    As Amari walked away Jake slumped backwards and leaned against the alley's cement wall. His body felt numb and disconnected from his mind, as if he were floating somewhere far away. In a pool composed of pain. He shuddered violently from his scalp down to his toes. The violence Amari had been forced to endure... the humiliation, the violation. Jake could not have fathomed anything so terrible. He pressed the heels of his hands into his misty eyes until he stopped crying, and fished the handkerchief out of his coat pocket. He wiped his eyes and blew his nose and sat there, head hanging, lost in the past.

If only I'd taken Amari away from her brother, he told himself over and over again, none of this would have happened. Jake had relived that cold night in Salvar many times over the years, and it stabbed at his heart along with every horrific image Amari had shown him. For a long while he sat slumped against the wall, trapped inside a bubble of anguish with barely air to breathe. And yet as the minutes ticked by another well-practiced thought poked into his mind.

What would Josh do? He wondered, thinking back to his teachings under the demigod known as Breaker. In addition to training Jake in many forms of combat, Josh had taught the half elf to have a resilient mind.

You cannot always control your thoughts, Cronen had told him, so if you're stuck in your mind, focus on what you can control. Your actions. Do something good, and feel how it influences your thoughts.

Like a walking corpse Jake rose and paced to Gunner's side. The horse snuffled and nuzzled his shoulder affectionately. Jake took a moment to hug his steed and then searched through the saddlebags. He extracted a light feedbag full of oats and strapped it around Gunner's nose, and then found the horse's brush and set about wiping down the dappled grey coat. The long, slow strokes of the brush calmed Jake's overstimulated mind and brought back positive memories. Of riding through the great forest Concordia, of tickling and kissing the serving girls in Underwood, of picking people's pockets as a young boy. By the time he finished brushing Gunner's coat the half elf felt whole again. He stowed the feedbag and the brush and looked Gunner in the eye.

"Amari's been through an awful lot, boy. I don't know if I can help." Jake sighed and scratched the scars beneath his scarf. They itched from time to time.

Gunner stared flatly and licked his large square teeth with a long, heavy tongue.

"You're right boy!" Jake said, brightening up. "As terrible as it was, she opened up when she showed me her memories. That's got to be a good thing." He stroked Gunner's lengthy nose. "If she can trust me enough to show me all of that, I suppose she can trust me to seek a sword at her side." Jake felt his spirits soar once more as the call of adventure tempted him. "We'll tackle those bandits together! Maybe if we make some good memories, she won't be so stuck in the bad..." For a moment the darkness of Amari's past enshrouded him, and he saw the platinum-haired man that haunted her so. If I ever find that monster, I'll kill him. Jake vowed silently. He put one foot in a stirrup and gripped the pommel and heaved himself into the saddle.

From his lofty perch atop Gunner Jake had an excellent view of the numbered streets. He walked his horse to the corner of 5th and 3rd and had little trouble locating the behemoth of an inn. Its poured cement walls were colored and sanded to look like marble, and ornate windows peered in on a neat and tidy common room. The place had no stables, and no posts outside except the strange parking meters. Jake had no desire to revisit that particular ordeal, so he meandered down the alley next to the inn and found a side door. He dismounted and dropped Gunner's reigns.

"Stay here, boy," he said firmly, "I'll be back before long." He patted Gunner's nose and got a grunt in return, and then pivoted and entered the inn.

The side door led directly to a cement staircase, and Jake climbed four flights until he found the right floor. His footsteps echoed quietly as he strode down the hall, watching his shadow grow and shrink as he passed the flickering oil lanterns either side of each door. After a few minutes of searching he found room 405 and took a deep breath. Lifting a lightly clenched fist, he knocked firmly three times on the door.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast