Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile

The Bird and the Breaker

Out of Character:
    All of McKinley's dialogue written by loves.blessing. All of Josh's dialogue written by Breaker.

Joshua “Breaker” Cronen paced along the woodland path through the great forest Concordia. Scattered loam crunched beneath his black metal boots, and a gentle breeze smelling of blooming lilacs rustled his equally black sifan clothing. Light drizzle patted his broad shoulders and dampened his short brown hair. He wore a smile that dimpled the Y-shaped scars on his cheeks and drew gentle lines at the corners of his eyes.

The demigod journeyed toward The Weeping Willow, an out-of-the-way tavern where he had arranged to meet a contact about financial backing for a local tourny. Josh had spent some time compiling ideas for the competition, and felt ready to move forward with the project. After competing in so many tournaments, the prospect of organizing one excited the martial artist.

As he rounded a bend the path forked, a smaller offshoot meandering away from the main conduit. I’ve got time, Breaker thought, and he followed the thinner fork. Branches brushed at his shirt and small burrs clung to his pants as he moved along the slightly overgrown trail. Through the birdsong that filled the forest and the gentle creaking of trees shifting in the wind, he heard a strange sound. Like the whimpering of a dog, only deeper and more full-throated.

Breaker paused and cocked his head, listening. He stepped off the path and moved through the underbrush toward the whimpering. It grew louder and more insistent, and soon he entered a small clearing and saw the beast making the noise.

A great dire wolf towered over the frail, unconscious form of a small woman. Messy auburn hair shrouded her face, and sickly red stains marred her clothing. A severed hand sat in the loam next to the wolf, adding a fresh level of strangeness to the bizarre scene.

The wolf seemed no threat to the woman, but it growled at Breaker’s approach, baring wicked red-streaked fangs.

“Easy now,” Josh said, taking short, confident steps. He reached out with both hands. “Easy girl, I’m not here to fight. Just to help your friend.” The wolf’s growl trailed off to a whimper and the beast backed down, nuzzling the bloodied woman.

Breaker knelt at her side, examining her torso where the blood originated. Through her torn clothing he saw a nasty stab wound in her lower abdomen, which still seeped crimson slowly. Josh placed his hand over the wound and an icy poultice formed, stopping the bleeding and sealing the cut.

The woman gasped and awakened, attempting to sit up and crying out in pain. Her hair spilled away from her face, and then it was Breaker’s turn to draw a sharp, surprised breath.

“McKinley?” He said, cradling the woman’s head. I should have recognized her bone structure. She’s like a little bird. The pair had met some weeks earlier, at a club called The Flesh Failures in Radasanth. Josh smoothed the woman’s auburn hair out of her eyes. “You’ve been stabbed,” he told her, “don’t try to move. It’s alright now. I’m here.”
    ... They fell to him as prey to bluefin
    for the Jya's warriors knew not how to swim...
    13-3-2

I wrote a book! ~ Most Suave Character 2010

EXP: 3,960, Level: 2
    Level completed: 66%, EXP required for next level: 1,040
    Level completed: 66%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,040
    GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Hair Color
    Reddish-brown
    Eye Color
    Dark crystal blue
    Build
    5'5 and around 125 pounds
    Job
    Artist of all sorts

View Profile
    An icy sensation stung her abdomen that sent a jolt through the small frail girl. McKinley gasped, sputtered and coughed as she tried to sit up. A cry of pain parted her swollen lips. Her crystal blue orbs wide with shock as she looked around for the cause of the new pain.

“Josh,” she gasped the sound of confusion and shock laced throughout her tone.

A small strangled sob past her lips that now quivered. “I-I don't understand. How are you here?” The tears spilled down her bruised cheeks. The reassurance of a familiar friendly face brought her hope that she was finally safe.

Her small hands clung to his that cradled her head with such tenderness as if she would break in his large arms. Her small digits laced through his, her grip surprisingly strong for someone so small. She held on to him so tightly afraid he might disappear and she be left alone again.

Her chest rose and fell rapidly as shock started to set in. The small drizzle of rain caused her clothes to cling to her small frame. “Is this a dream? Am I dreaming of you?” Her words slurred heavily as one of her hands grazed his cheek a small smudge of blood left behind.

“I feel as if I could float away,” her head slightly lulled in his hands. A whimper drew her attention to the large calico colored dire wolf. “Oh Nymeria,” she cooed at the beast.

“I'm so tired Josh and you are so warm,” she mumbled, her lids grew heavy. Her fiery red mane fell over her face almost created a curtain.

“I wish to sleep,” she smiled as if in a drunken state her eyes closed now. Her body grew relaxed except for the heaving in her chest with each breath she drew in and casted out.

The wolf howled as if she was in pain. She paced around the two humans, feral sounds came from the beast as she snarled, whimpered and slapped her large paws against the ground.

“Shhh, let me sleep Nym” Kinley pouted slightly her eyes still shut. Her body tired from all it had endured.

Maul-Slayer
    EXP: 172,649, Level: 18
    Level completed: 14%, EXP required for next level: 16,351
    Level completed: 14%,
    EXP required for next level: 16,351
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    “A better question,” Josh murmured, “would be why are you here? And what happened?” He lifted McKinley effortlessly as he stood, garnering a sharp growl from the dire wolf. “Easy girl,” he said in a level voice, “let’s get your friend here some help.”

McKinley clung to him as a dry leaf clings to a tree, shaking in the slightest breeze. She slipped in and out of consciousness, her face dangerously pale.

Breaker cradled her in both arms and ran as quickly as he dared through the trees toward The Weeping Willow. The dire wolf sprinted after him, barely fast enough to nip at his heels. He raced over tree roots, around bramble bushes, and through open meadows until his metal boots thudded up the stairs to the tavern. It stood two stories tall, made from equal parts stone and timber. He shifted Kinley to lean her against his shoulder and opened the oaken door and ducked inside.

The tavern’s common room was perhaps half full. Josh laid the frail musician on an empty table, drawing strange looks from the patrons and staff.

“Is anyone here a healer?” He asked over the buzz of conversation and the crackle of the hearth. “This woman has been stabbed.”

“Josh?” Said a tall, slender elf. He was the business associate Cronen had been bound to meet. The elf stood up and took off his heavy cloak, draping it over McKinley’s shivering form. “What’s happened? Who is this?”

“A friend,” Josh said, “I just found her like this.”

“Surely someone here must be a healer,” the tall elf rounded on the other tables, his eyes placating, his presence comforting. “You sir? Or you madam?”

“I am,” a petite short-haired brunette woman stood up from the back of the room. “I know some small healing magic,” she said, “I will try to help your friend.” As she stepped forward the tavern’s owner came out from the kitchen, a scowl painted on her broad, matronly face.

“Sir, I’m afraid this isn’t an infirmary,” the stout woman said, “if your friend needs a place to lay, we do offer a few rooms upstairs-”

“She’s not moving from this table until she’s healed,” Josh said as McKinley produced a faint moan.

“What is this?” Demanded the healer, her hands pressed to Kinley’s abdomen either side of the ice poultice.

“I had to stop the bleeding,” Josh said, “this is how I mend my wounds.”

“In a warzone, maybe!” The healer growled. “You must remove it before I can do anything.”

Josh took the healer’s hand in his and hovered their palms over the wound. The ice disappeared and a faint glow surrounded their hands as the healer worked her magic. The gash in Kinley’s side closed up, leaving a thin white scar behind.

“She’s lucky the blade didn’t hit anything vital,” the healer said. Kinley appeared to have passed out during the procedure. “She will need to rest, and eat and drink when she wakes. May I return to my meal now?”

The patrons and staff gave the woman a well deserved round of applause as she returned to her table. The owner tapped her foot expectantly.

“We will take a room,” Josh said, digging gold from his pocket and thrusting it into the woman’s hand.

“Sixteen is open,” the owner said, “just had fresh linens put on the bed.” She produced a brass key and gave it to Breaker. “You let us know when she wakes, and we’ll send some food up for her.”

Josh thanked the woman and carried Kinley upstairs. The steps creaked beneath their combined weight, as did the hinges on the door, but the room was clean and serviceable. It featured a double bed, an aging desk and chair combination, a large standing mirror, and a small water-closet. He kicked the door shut and laid the limp musician on the bed, covering her in thick blankets.

As the minutes passed Breaker checked Kinley’s temperature, and paced, and sat in the chair, and checked her temperature again. Despite the mound of blankets she was not getting warmer. Her lips had grown blue and her neck was cold as ice. She could still die, he realized suddenly, and there’s probably nothing that healer could do for her.

“Sorry about this,” he said to the unconscious woman, “but I suppose I did buy you a drink.” He stripped off his shirt and kicked off his boots and climbed beneath the covers. He wrapped long arms around her quivering shoulders, pressing his muscular chest against her frigid form to share body heat. “Come on, Kinley,” he urged, laying a hand along her icy neck, “wake up…”
    13-3-2

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Hair Color
    Reddish-brown
    Eye Color
    Dark crystal blue
    Build
    Job
    Artist of all sorts

View Profile
    Warmth slowly spread throughout McKinley’s small frail body. Nuzzling closer to the source, her head laid on Josh’s chest as she unknowingly snuggled her nose into him. The scent of the salty ocean surrounding her nostrils. A small hum of approval came from her semi conscious self. Her mind creating a lovely picture, the clear blue waves lapping against the sandy shore.

“Beautiful,” she mumbled into his chest.

A hand lifted and laid gently laid across his chest, her thumb absent-mindedly stroked his beautifully sculpted chest. Wait.. Is that a chest muscle? Her body went rigid with pure horror. Slowly McKinley tried to inch away from the stranger’s body. Just as she started to pull away the male ‘stranger’ withdrew from the bed. The cold wrapped itself around Kinley quickly. The feeling of regret filling her rapidly as she missed the warmth.

“Mckinley, are you awake?” The voice deep and sent an involuntary shiver down her spine.

He knows my name? She thought, her eyes slitted open as she peeked at the man.

Suddenly she sat up, “Josh,” her voice hoarse and a hiss of pain passed her lips from the sudden movement. “Mother of God,” she clutched her stomach. A confused look masked her pure angelic features. “I- I’m healed?” Her wide gaze moved from her stomach that had held a large gash in it from the stab wound back towards Josh.

“I don’t really understand.”

“I must have been dreaming I thought I was at the beach I felt the warm sun, oh my Goddess.” She covered her eyes, “You are half-way naked!” She squeaked her cheeks collecting some color to her pale face.

“I can fix that,” came Josh’s reassuring voice. Kinley could hear the rustle of clothing as he re-buttoned his shirt and stepped into his boots. “Sorry for startling you. You were cold as ice and I could think of no other way to warm you. We’re at the Weeping Willow,” he added, “fortunately, there happened to be a healer in the common room.”

The words left her mind, she couldn’t bring a single thought to her lips. The only thing she could do was simply nod. She drew the blanket closer to her body, the feeling of being exposed left her uneasy. “Thanks,” the word fell from her lips before she could even think or allow her mind to catch up.

“I could have sworn I was on the beach it felt so real.” Her disjointed thoughts spilling from her lips. “I felt the lush sand cushioning my steps, the rays of the sun leaving warm kisses on my body. The smell of the salt in the water…” Her words slightly drifted off as she realized it was actually Josh’s body that had made that illusion.

Maul-Slayer
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    “I swam in the ocean this morning,” Josh said gently. His eyes twinkled as he smiled, remembering the touch of his goddess, Am’aleh of the Sea. She had blessed him with the gift of water and ice craft, and an influence over the Eternal Tap cherished by many. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, savoring the smells left over by his visit with the goddess.

“The healer said that you should eat,” he changed the subject, opening his eyes and refocusing on the redhead. He turned toward the door and then paused and turned back, face drawn up in concern. “Is there a reason I shouldn’t leave you alone?” He asked, “is somebody after you?” The way he found her almost seemed like someone had left her to die. And then there was the grisly severed hand…

The meek violinist caught her lower lip in between her teeth, shaking her head. “H-he’s dead..” Her words as quiet as a church mouse steps.

“Dead?” Josh studied the petite woman. Considering the state she was in, she seemed awfully certain of her assailant’s demise. Did she kill him? Cronen took a closer look at the bloodstains on her dress. They were too thick and smeared for him to determine if some had come from a secondary source. I’ll ask her later, she looks as though her mind is already racing like a runaway steam engine.

“Well, I hope that means you’ll be safe while I go and get some food?” Kinley nodded, her eyes still distant, her pupils dilated.

Breaker slipped into the hall, closing the door softly and stepping down the stairs. He detoured to the kitchen and asked to have a meal prepared, and then met with his concerned business associate in the common room.

“Is she well?” Asked the elf, swirling a glass of dark red wine.

“I think she’ll live,” Breaker replied, “she appears fairly traumatized though. I should get back to her.”

“Of course,” the elf drained the dregs of his goblet and set the empty vessel on the long bar. “I do have other business to attend, unfortunately. We will have to reschedule our meeting.”

“I’ll be in touch then,” Josh said, “thank you for understanding. And for your help.”

The tall elf opened the door to leave and balked, turning almost as white as Kinley had been. “The-there’s a dire wolf out here!” He gasped.

“Oh, I forgot about her,” Josh chuckled, “here, allow me.” He strode outside. The wolf’s coat was wet with the drizzle, but she crouched in the middle of the path, growling. “Easy girl. McKinley called you Nymeria, didn’t she? Settle down, Nymeria.” He reached out a fearless hand, past the lethal fangs, and scratched the wolf behind her ear. “You go hide yourself in the forest,” he urged, giving the beast a gentle shove, “go on now.”

Nymeria grunted disdainfully, but turned and scampered into the woods. The elf came outside and thanked Breaker, and then hurried off down the path.

As Josh entered the tavern the owner backed out of the kitchen with a steaming tray. Two roasted chicken legs sat on one platter, a heaping pile of root vegetables on another, and a bowl of broth and two mugs of ale topped the tray off. Josh thanked the matron and carried the platter upstairs. Back inside room sixteen he found McKinley staring at the door.

“I hope you’re hungry,” he said as he set the tray on the foot of the bed. He stepped back and leaned on the desk. It creaked beneath his weight. “Shall I stay, or would you like some privacy?”
    13-3-2

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Hair Color
    Reddish-brown
    Eye Color
    Dark crystal blue
    Build
    Job
    Artist of all sorts

View Profile
    McKinley’s heart pounded against her breastbone the moment her savior had left. He’s gone, he left you.. Her mind crashed these misleading thoughts around causing her to panic. “Josh,” she squeaked has her lips began to quiver.

The few moments he had been gone drew on what seemed like hours for Kinley. When the door creaked open she gripped the bed sheets tightly like fear did her heart. A small whimper of relief as her body slightly relaxed. Her unwavering gaze never leaving the strong sculpted man.

“I-I don’t know if I can stomach food.” Her voice seemed slightly louder than Josh would be used to.

“No?” Josh said, concerned, “what about a drink? Or just some of the broth?” He sat on the edge of the bed and moved the tray closer to Kinley, hoping the savory smells would entice her. “You lost a lot of blood.”

“I- I killed a man,” tears brimmed as her voice shook. “He was gonna try and take me again and rape me but I- I still killed someone..” Her voice broke as the tears spilled down her cheeks.

“By the Thaynes, you did the right thing, Kinley.” Josh slid down the bed and cradled the woman’s head on his shoulder. Tears seeped through the thin fabric of his shirt, already damp from the drizzle. “I understand how you feel,” he added, “but you must not blame yourself.” Though his words wrapped a warm comfort around her as did his large arms she still shook like a lone leaf clinging to the branch of a tree during a windstorm.

The sobbing rolled over her frail self. With each quiver of her body the hold Josh had on her tightened slightly. Her cried gut wrenching, heart gripping. Her innocence had been stripped over her involuntarily. Her flower still intact but the purity of her soul now tainted with the blood of her old slave Master.

“Nymeria,” she gasped in between sobs. “Where is she?”

“She’s safe, just outside,” Josh assured her, “I saw her when I went downstairs.” Her frantic state settling slightly as she laid her head back down though her body still shook slightly. “I-I don’t know how I will ever repay you Josh,” her voice thick with tears once more. The kindness, bravery and affection he showed her while he took care of her overwhelming her.

Maul-Slayer
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    “Shhh, breathe easy now,” Josh soothed the quaking girl, rubbing her back with a heavy hand, “you don’t need to worry about repaying me. Just keep being you, McKinley.” He let her cry herself out and then dried her eyes with the corner of the bedsheet. “If you’re not ready to eat,” he said, “you should really get some more rest.”

The redheaded girl chewed on the inside of her cheek, an uneasy look overcame her face. “Will you- will you stay with me,” her tongue tripping over itself.

“Of course,” Josh said, glad that she felt comforted by his presence. He moved the tray to the desk. “Lay down,” he said, and sat next to the skinny bump in the covers. He let his hands fall on her slender back and drew soft, intricate patterns with his palms, rubbing the stress out of Kinley’s shoulders.

“Imagine you’re on the beach, if you like.” He said, letting his voice drift slowly to her ears, “the sand is soft beneath your feet. The wind slides through your hair. The sun warms your skin and spray from the sea cools you.” He found his own mind drifting to ocean, and Am’aleh, as a comforted sigh escaped the slight woman.

Josh waited until her breathing became low and regular, and then retreated to the chair. He popped a roast potato in his mouth, enjoying the root vegetable’s crunch. While McKinley slept a convoy of questions paraded through his mind. Who would want to hurt the little bird? How had she managed to kill her assailant? Did that somehow explain the severed hand he’d found at the scene?

An hour or more passed, and then Kinley awakened, humming faintly to herself as she moved beneath the covers. Josh shifted his chair closer as she rolled over and looked at him with bleary blue eyes.

“How are you feeling?” He asked.

McKinley attempted to rub the sleep from her eyes, “a bit better, thank you for staying with me.”

“You’re welcome,” he said, and opened his mouth to continue, but a knock came at the door. Kinley gave a small gasp, her eyes growing wide with fright, but Josh smiled. “I’m sure it’s nothing.” He stood and opened the door.

“Beg pardon for the intrusion,” one of the serving girls from downstairs said, “but the matron reckoned she might need some fresh clothes. They’ll be a bit big on her mind, but one of the other girls is close to her size and had an extra outfit. Matron says you more than paid for it earlier.”

Josh thanked the girl and accepted an armload of folded clothing. Once again, his habit of overpaying at inns had reaped benefits. “See,” he said, turning back to McKinley, “just some clean clothing. Why don’t you change? I’ll be in the hall.” He left the garments on the edge of the bed and ducked out of the room.
    13-3-2

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Hair Color
    Reddish-brown
    Eye Color
    Dark crystal blue
    Build
    Job
    Artist of all sorts

View Profile
    McKinley watched the door shut, a sense of alarming silence was almost deafening. She took a shaky deep breath before walking over to the water basin. The pitcher next to it filled with clean water she filled it with. Slowly she started to peel off her clothes that now stuck to her like a second skin.

She breath hitched, the movements causing her still frail joints to groan and crack in protest. The lantern light that filled the room bathed her creamy complexion in an array of gold and yellow hues.

She walked over to the basin, dipped the rag in it before ringing it out. The cold fabric causing her to hiss, goosebumps rose on her flesh. Small bruises still scattered throughout her skin. The cloth collecting all the dried blood from her skin before she dipped and repeated the action. Her body now clean she pulled on the undergarments first, the large shirt next falling to her knees. Pants came next baggy yet shielding her from the cold that crept in the old inn.

She poured the bloody water out the window before filling the basin and washing her hair in it. The matted mess quickly smoothed with a comb she had found in the bed side draw. Her fiery red mane falling like a curtain around her face.

Another calming breath and she opened the door, her head peeked out first. “Josh,” she squeaked.

“Yes?” The tall man asked, turning around, “that’s better eh?” He said as he saw she’d washed up.

She stepped out into the hallway softly closing the door behind her as she nodded. “Yes I do feel better actually, cleaner.” She offered him a timid smile. This was the first time all day she felt somewhat like herself again. “Thanks again for, well everything actually..” Her stomach growled loudly as sher cheeks flushed with color.

“Sorry,” she murmured her gaze averted towards the wooden flooring.

“Don’t worry about it,” Josh said, taking her hand and lacing her arm through his, “why don’t we go downstairs and get some fresh food? Anything you like.” Kinley oddly enjoyed the feeling of his hand on her own. Her fingers absentmindedly rubbed his strong forearm. “I could go for some beef stew and a big hunk of bread.” She licked her lips just saying the words. The tip of her tongue tracing the outside of her pink lips. Her stomach growling again impatiently at the mentioning of food.

Maul-Slayer
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    They walked down the wide, short staircase arm in arm. Outside it had grown fully dark, but within the walls the hearth crackled merrily and lanterns lit even the dimmest corners of the common room. Josh led Kinley to a table by the fire and pulled a chair out one-handed for her to sit. As he joined her a serving girl came by. Josh ordered beef stew and bread for McKinley, a glass of scotch for himself, and a jug of water for the table.

The girl thanked him and sat quietly, auburn hair framing her still-pale cheeks. Josh felt comfortable with the silence, but he didn’t want Kinley to get lost in her head with the violent memories, so he sipped the scotch the waitress brought him and found a new subject.

“How is your music coming along? I’ve still yet to hear you play.” He examined the slight violinist over the rim of his glass and poured her a cup of water. She did look a little healthier, but hungry.

Kinley grasped the cup with both hands taking a greedy drink. “I lost my violin when- when everything happened..” Her bright crystal blue orbs dimmed with sadness.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Josh said, “I’m sure you’ll get a new one before long.” McKinley simply nodded taking another sip of water.

The food arrived shortly and Kinley dug in daintily, spooning beef stew neatly into her mouth and nibbling at a large heel of bread. Breaker sipped his scotch and leaned back in the chair, relaxing even as his eyes maintained a vigil on the doorway. He found his thoughts drifting to what he might have been doing had he not encountered the violinist.

Probably drinking too much and sitting in the corner alone, he reasoned, this is certainly a better use of my time.

As he reflected on the situation, Breaker’s concern for Kinley grew. Someone had tried to kill her… a man who she had known from some previous time in her life. A man who had controlled her in some way. Breaker had encountered many such men in his travels, and he knew that they seldom operated alone. They were cowards, by and large, forming packs like wild dogs. Although the slight musician would be safe so long as Josh stayed by her side, he worried that there might be more violence in her future, when the cronies of the man she killed caught up with her.

She doesn’t deserve this. All she wants is to play her music and be left in peace. Breaker could sympathize. His music was his love for Am’aleh, and he wished he could devote all his time to the goddess’ worship. The realm of men still had its hooked teeth in him however, and he would not abandon the redhead until he felt certain that she would be safe.
    13-3-2

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Hair Color
    Reddish-brown
    Eye Color
    Dark crystal blue
    Build
    Job
    Artist of all sorts

View Profile
    The beef stew settled her hungry stomach but the rest of her body still ached along with her heart. Tear, dip, eat and repeat. She continued this pattern until her stomach couldn’t hold any more. With each bite McKinley could feel Josh’s eyes on her. She sighed heavily, his eyes felt as if they were weighing her down.

“Josh, I am okay I am not going to break into small pieces if you look away.” She teased. That was one of the many coping mechanisms she had come up with when she was a slave.

“Sorry,” Josh chuckled, “you did give me quite a scare. I’m glad to see you recovering so well.”

McKinley offered him the best fake smile she could. Her thought was if she could convince him she was fine then she could convince herself. “I gave myself a scare,” she nodded in agreement. “How did you find me, Josh?”

“I was on my way here to meet an associate,” the broad shouldered man replied, “it was really just luck that I heard your wolf whimpering.” Kinley smiled, this time sincerely. “Nymeria, I am lucky to have her and you.” Her gaze turned to the man that had saved her life.

“I don’t know how to repay you Josh,” she laid her hand gently on top of his own. Her hand barely covering half of his own in size. “I owe you my life.” She spoke softly giving his hand a little squeeze.

“You don’t owe me anything,” Josh assured her, placing his other hand on top of hers. His palm engulfed the woman’s. “If you truly want to pay me back, you can play a few songs for me once you get your new violin.”

McKinley laughed softly shaking her head, “that is hardly a payment since I love doing it but you have a deal.” She glanced down down at their hands intertwined a small feeling swelling in her belly. Her cheeks warmed with color, this being the most she had ever touched a male in a day. Not counting the one she had stabbed in the skull a few hours before.

“I’m sorry about making you miss your meeting, I hope it wasn’t anything too important..” She said softly.

Josh waved a careless hand. “Nothing terribly important, and we will reschedule. There’ll be plenty of opportunities for me to sit down with that elf.”Kinley nodded as she slipped her hand from his, cheeks almost as red as her mane. “Sorry,” she murmured knowing she had kept her hand there for fair to long.

“You’ve nothing to be sorry about,” Josh smiled. His long arm reached across the table to pat the woman comfortingly on the shoulder, “it’s my pleasure to spend this time with you.” The redhead smiled nodding in agreement. He just friendzoned me I am pretty sure. She thought bitterly but the smile still planted on her lips.

Of course he did, look at me and then look at him… Yes, McKinley was a rare beauty, hair long and fell in crimson waves, lips slightly pink and plump, freckles dusting over her milky complexion. Crystal blue orbs that could tell you a story about life. She had few selective curves were it mattered but she lacked everything a man like Josh would want. Experience, she was confident but not experienced.

A flustered hand ran through her locks as she really looked at Josh, the way when he smiled the scar on his cheek dimpled. How almost every time he did smile it up his hazel eyes. A strong jaw line and defined shoulders, even under his clothing anyone could see the muscle. “You’re ruggedly handsome,” the words slipped from her mouth before her brain could even catch up with her mouth. She gasped softly in shock with her own boldness. “I am so sorry, that was out of line.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast