Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    A deep chuckle welled up from Breaker’s diaphragm before he could catch it. I should have guessed she might be smitten. He’d noted a mutual attraction with the musician the night they met at the club, but since finding her lying in the forest other things had occupied his mind.

“Thank you,” he said with a bob of his head. Was it the heat from the fire, or did he feel a little extra color in his cheeks? “You’re very beautiful,” he added, letting his hazel eyes caress the curve of her neck and the hollows of her cheeks. Don’t get distracted, you’re here to protect her. He sipped his drink, enjoying the full-bodied flavor. “I saw you turning the heads of many men while we talked at the Flesh Failures.”

Kinley shook her head in disbelief. “No way, not me.”

Josh raised both eyebrows. “Well I must have been sitting with a different pretty redhead then. Whoever she was, people positively stared.” McKinley covered her mouth, blushing deep crimson. Breaker swallowed his next chuckle. She seemed to genuinely not know how to handle compliments, and he didn’t wish to make her uncomfortable.

A serving girl arrived to take the dishes away. Josh tipped her with a few silvers and asked her to have someone remove the tray from room sixteen. The girl smiled graciously and curtsied, whisking back into the kitchen with a swish of her apron.

“How are you feeling now?” Josh asked, “up for a little fresh air? I’m sure your friend Nymeria is worried about you.”

McKinley smiled and nodded before pushing away from the table and standing. “I would love to get some fresh air.”

Breaker led the way out of the tavern. The night air swept briskly through his short brown hair and tugged at the cuffs of his fine black shirt. He held out his arm and after a slight hesitation, McKinley took it. They walked out to the forest’s fringe where Josh had last seen Nymeria. The dire wolf materialised from the shadows like a wraith, padding up to them with an excited huff.

The large beast nudged her mother like figure excitedly. “Nym,” Kinley squeaked with excitement wrapping her arms around her neck giving a tight squeeze.

After the reunion Josh and Kinley strolled along the woodland path with Nymeria following in the shadows. Breaker regaled the young woman with tales from his days as a prizefighter. She made an exceptionally captive audience, gasping in all the right places and asking interested questions. They walked out along the trail for a time and then turned and hiked back the way they had come, heading for the familiar lights of the Weeping Willow.

“I think,” Breaker said, “it would be best for us to spend the night here. Tomorrow, when you’re properly rested, we’ll see about getting you home.” The girl smiled and nodded, blue eyes flashing in the moonlight. They said goodbye to Nymeria at the forest’s fringe and then entered the tavern. The serving girls were just finishing wiping down the tables and banking the coals in the hearth.

“You go on upstairs,” Josh urged Kinley, passing her the key to their room, “I’ll be up in a moment. I just need a word with the owner first.”
    ... They fell to him as prey to bluefin
    for the Jya's warriors knew not how to swim...
    13-3-2

I wrote a book! ~ Most Suave Character 2010

EXP: 3,960, Level: 2
    Level completed: 66%, EXP required for next level: 1,040
    Level completed: 66%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,040
    GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Hair Color
    Reddish-brown
    Eye Color
    Dark crystal blue
    Build
    5'5 and around 125 pounds
    Job
    Artist of all sorts

View Profile
    McKinley had thought the night had gone amazing. It was almost as if it was a date, the supper, the night stroll. She took the key from Josh’s hand giving his cheek a quick peck. “Thank you,” she whispered before hurrying up the stairs.

Her heart beating against her chest at her bold move. Most women that would not be a bold move but for Kinley it was very daring. “Oh my Gods,” she shrieked.

Fumbling with the key as she shoved it into the keyhole turning the lock. Pushing the door open before shutting it behind her with key in hand. A small sigh parted her lips as she looked around the simple room. Her eyes landed onto the bed, there was only one so they would have to sleep next to one another.

Her heart fluttered in her chest at the thought, her cheeks heated with color. “Oh my,” she mused a small girlish giggle coming from her lips.

She placed her key on the night stand before slipping out of the large pants she had been borrowed. The shirt itself large enough to look like a nighty stopping right above her knees. Climbing into the bed she rested her back against the plain wooden head board.

She glanced at the window wondering if her direwolf was going to be okay throughout the night. Her eyes started to grow a bit heavy as she rubbed at them. A small yawn escaped her lips as she was still tired of from earlier. Her hand went to her back, small subtle scars marred her perfect skin, one standing out from the others.

A small dove like scar on her left shoulder where she had been partially branded to mark as a slave. The monster that had given her this scar and the others was now dead. She was free and safe with a man she was starting to care for more than a friend.

She began to hum at first barely audible, shortly her humming filled the room. Her eyes closed as she hummed a slightly joyful tune.

Maul-Slayer
    EXP: 172,649, Level: 18
    Level completed: 14%, EXP required for next level: 16,351
    Level completed: 14%,
    EXP required for next level: 16,351
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    Three slavers loped along the darkened trail, navigating their path by moonlight.

“Wot d’ye think about that elf we just killed?” Inquired the first. He wore a hooped earring in his left lobe and had fresh blood spatter on his sleeves. His bald head shone in the silver glow.

“I think ‘e was a bleeder, and a squealer,” chuckled the second, a tall man with a pink scar permanently closing his left eye.

“Seems likely ‘e was tellin’ the truth about the girlie, though,” reasoned the third, “‘e surely didn’t like it when I twisted the blade.” He fingered the dagger on his belt, which barely contained his massive bulk.

“D’you really think such a tiny thing could have killed Joel?” The man with the brass earring spat through his teeth.

“Anyone can kill anyone, if a blade finds the right spot,” said the one eyed man, unsheathing his curved skinning knife and tossing it from hand to hand, “and the blade that killed Joel found the right spot… right in ‘is skull!”

A moment of silence passed as the slavers remembered their fallen compatriot.

“Whether she killed ‘im or not ain’t the point,” the fat man said, still idly fingering the hilt of his dagger, “if’n she used to be one of ‘is, she used to be one of ours. And where do our slaves go when they escape?”

“Haide,” the other two men replied in rough unison.

“Right,” the rotund slaver grinned and picked at a scab on his cheek. “So let’s get to… which tavern did that tall elf name?”

“The Weeping Willow,” replied the man with the earring.

“The Weeping Willow,” echoed the fat man, “let’s get there, and if we find the little bird… she’ll be sleeping in a shallow grave by daybreak.”

~*~

Josh sent one of the serving girls into the kitchen to fetch the tavern’s owner and then lingered in the common room, taking a moment to appreciate the fine carpentry work that had gone into the walls. As the matron waddled out of the kitchen he turned, his customary smile replaced by a concerned frown.

“Anything else you need tonight milord?” The woman asked.

Throw enough gold at someone, and they’ll heap titles upon your head.

“Nothing that I require,” Josh said, “I only wanted to ask whether you have a night watchman.”

“Aye, that we do,” the matron nodded, her chins wobbling, “he’s an older gentleman, a bit of a hermit if you ask me. But he stops by every night and sits on the porch, just to keep an eye on things.”

“That’s good to hear,” Josh said, “puts my mind at rest.”

“Why?” The matron asked suddenly, “you won’t be bringing trouble into my tavern again, I hope.”

“Nothing of the sort,” Josh assured her, “I’m sure you can understand, my friend was somewhat traumatized by today’s events. She’ll be glad to know there’s an extra pair of eyes keeping a lookout.”

The matron’s frown dissolved into a kindly expression, and she nodded and shuffled back into the kitchen, calling after the serving girls to finish the washing.

Breaker climbed the stairs feeling at ease. He heard McKinley humming from the hallway and paused a moment outside the door, just listening. She sounds happy, he realized, finally feeling that he had done his job properly in helping the girl. He opened the door and stepped inside, locking it behind him. He smiled broadly, the scars on his cheeks dimpling in the light of the lantern left by the maid.

“Beautiful music. I can’t wait to hear what you do with an instrument.”
    13-3-2

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Hair Color
    Reddish-brown
    Eye Color
    Dark crystal blue
    Build
    Job
    Artist of all sorts

View Profile
    McKinley stopped humming for a moment, a smile graced her lips. “I promise you will hear me play soon.” A small giggle swelled up in her belly filling the room like tiny bell chimes. When the laughter died down she let her dark crystal blue orbs stroke his body. Her cheeks heating with color as she bit down on her bottom lip.

“How- how did you want to do the sleeping arrangements, I am okay with you sleeping in the bed with me if you are.” She tried not her voice to sound as shaky as it already was. It should hints of her having never shared a bed with a man.

“I don’t… feel sleepy.” Josh said. He swiveled the chair around and sat facing McKinley. “But you need your rest. I would offer to sing to you, but I think we both know that wouldn’t go well.” It had been Karaoke Night at the Flesh Failures when they met. A small smile danced across her lips as she snuggled down into the bed sheets.

A small yawn slipped passed her lips as she patted the spot next to her. “If you get tired you can come to bed, really I don’t mind. You did save my life after all the least I can do is not be a bed hog.” She joked lightly.

Josh took a deep breath, his hazel eyes raking her slender form. “If I grow tired, I will lay down,” he promised her.

Kinley nodded, pleased that he wasn’t too stubborn about sleeping in a chair. She pushed the blankets off herself revealing her shirt she had made into a nighty. Her long slender legs tossed over the side of the bed as she padded towards the lantern lighting the room. Bending over she adjusted the light dimming to a gentle glow. The light casting an even brighter fiery glow to her red locks.

She turned towards Josh giving him a sheepish smile, “hope you don’t mind me I feel comfortable this way…” She bit down on her lower lip her hands entangled behind her back.

A vein throbbed in Breaker’s neck. He exhaled the breath he had been holding. “As long as you’re comfortable, I’m comfortable.”

Nodding Kinley scurried over towards the bed, the movement flaring up her shirt exposing her upper thighs. Her hair swayed behind her flaring out like a cape would in the wind. She carefully crawled into the bed not to expose too much flesh.

Her tired eyes looking up at Josh as she slowly batted her long eyelashes trying to fight her sleep. “You can come to bed whenever you want…” Her words slowly started to fade as her eyes started close shut. Her sweet, innocent face looked peaceful as she gave into sleeping on her side wards Josh. The covers pulled up to her shoulder to keep her warm in the cold, brisk night.

At last Josh realized that perhaps she wanted him in the bed. He swung up from the chair and lay down on top of the covers next to Kinley, still wearing his boots. The slumbering Kinley felt the warmth from early as she scooted closer to the source. Her head snuggled into his side. A small hum came from the sleeping redhead nestled under the covers.

Josh smiled as he heard the hum, and perhaps finding it hypnotic, fell asleep.

Maul-Slayer
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    The three slavers trekked through the night until they came upon The Weeping Willow, bathed in the glow of moonlight. From the shadows of the trees they could plainly see the old watchman sitting on the porch. He smoked a long wooden pipe thoughtfully, blowing rings that wafted in the silver ambience.

“Nice for the ol’ bastard to have a last puff,” chortled the bald man with the gold earring.

“Don’t go killin’ ‘im until we find out whether the girlie’s here,” the fat man reminded him.

“She’s here,” the bald man said, wiping his mouth with both hands, “I can feel it in my balls.”

“Don’t go screwin’ up just cuz’ you wanna’ get your rocks off,” spat the tall one eyed slaver. He slipped his curved skinning knife out of its sheath and tested the edge on his thumbnail.

“Who’s in charge here?” The man with the earring growled. It was a good question. Joel’s death had left things a little vague.

They skirted around the building and approached from both sides at once, slipping around the tavern’s front corners like shadows. Their daggers glistened in the moonlight, and the old man gasped as he saw them, but too late.

The man with the earring placed a hand over his white-whiskered mouth and slammed him against the wall. The watchman’s hands gripped his walking stick in white-knuckled panic.

“Tell me right now, before I kill ye’,” The man with the earring snarled, pressing his long knife against the watchman’s throat, “is there a tiny little lady in there with hair like fire and skin like cream? Answer me!”

“I-I don’t know,” the old man stammered as his mouth was released, “I never went inside! By Am’aleh’s eyes I-”

He choked and gagged as the bald man cut his throat. Blood poured onto the ground, followed by his slack, lifeless body. His cane clattered against the porch floorboards as he fell.

~*~

Josh heard a clatter and became alert instantly. He disentangled himself from Kinley (they’d wound up cuddling, somehow) and slid silently out of bed. In the space of seconds he found the key, darted out of the room and locked the door, and ran down the stairs to the inn’s front entrance. He removed the door’s bar and slipped outside.

Three men with daggers faced him, one of them dripping blood. Breaker saw the watchman’s corpse, but it fell outside his immediate concern. He stepped to meet the assailants with a confidence born from years of combat.

A tall man with a scar splitting his eye lunged with a hooked blade. Josh pivoted, caught his elbow and killed him with his own knife.

A bald man with a hoop earring stabbed at Josh’s midsection. He swept his arms downward, disarmed the man and stabbed his fat friend in the throat with the long dagger. As he twisted, extending into the thrust, Breaker’s foot slipped in the loose mud left over from the day’s drizzle. He fell heavily, landing on his back on the grass.

The bald man bent to retrieve his weapon and advanced on the downed demigod.

“I’ll make ye’ pay fer’ killin’ my mates,” he uttered.

Nymeria streaked out of the shadows, fangs glistening in the moonlight, and bit into the bald man’s leg with a throaty growl. He cried out and fell in the dirt beside Josh.

Large hands seized the bald man’s head, and Breaker snapped his neck like a twig.

“Thank you, Nymeria,” Josh whispered.
    13-3-2

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Hair Color
    Reddish-brown
    Eye Color
    Dark crystal blue
    Build
    Job
    Artist of all sorts

View Profile
    McKinley woke with a stiff yawn and a rubbing of her eyes. The sound of Josh getting out of the old bed. At first she thought nothing of it but then raised voice outside made her think otherwise. Tip toeing over to the window she pulled back the drapes to reveal three men circling Josh.

A shriek of horror came from the small red head as she recognized the one with the earring and shiny bald head. Rupert Her mind spat the name out with disgust. He was Joel’s right hand man when she was his slave.

”Stop Rupert you are gonna get me in trouble with Master!” The day was hot and she was hanging linens out to dry in the sun. She had already been behind on her chores for the day and Master Joel was upset about some business that had gone astray. “Come on bird just let ‘e touch ya’. Ya like it I promise.”

She swatted his wandering hand away from her dress. She was rewarded with a backhand to the cheek. Her face felt like it was on fire, Master Joel had come at the end, assessing the red handprint on her face. “What the hell Rupert,” he hissed.

“Bitch was gettin’ to handsy with ‘e.” Kinley gasped shaking her head in protest.

“Master I didn’t he was trying to touch me!” She pleaded.

It was too late Joel already had a handful of her hair and off dragging her to the basement for her lashings.

Kinley shook her head pushing the memory out of her mind. Her heart felt like it was in her throat. Gripping onto the window seal tightly she watched in horror as Josh fought all three. She yelped when he fell to the ground pounding the window to draw their attention to her. At the last moment when all hope seem lost Nymeria saved him.

Gasping for air she hurried to the door and down the stairs, tossing open the inn door and running towards her once again savior. “Josh,” she hollered the loudest she had in years. As the man turn she tossed herself into him hugging him tightly. “You almost got hurt!” She said as she buried her head into his shoulder.

Maul-Slayer
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    “Whoa there, I’m alright,” Josh said as he cradled the girl in his arms. Her sleek bare legs shone in the moonlight. From above, the scene must have appeared exceptionally dramatic, but he had never been in any real danger. “I’m alright,” he repeated, returning Kinley’s hug and then putting her down, “why don’t you run back inside? You’ll catch a cold out here like that.”

The redhead nodded and stretched on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek, and then scurried back inside blushing like a sunset.

Breaker finished dragging the bodies - including that of the unfortunate watchman - into the woods and then walked inside and barred the door.

“I had a feeling you were trouble,” said the tavern’s owner. She was sitting at one of the tables with a mug of brandy tea in one hand. “It’s not often I’m awakened in the middle of the night to watch a bloodbath happen on my lawn.”

“This was just an unfortunate circumstance,” Josh assured her, palms splayed, “those brigands happened along, and I happened to be awake. I’m very sorry for the loss of your watchman. Who is the law around here?”

“Rangers,” the woman said around another sip, “they’ll likely be along tomorrow. They come by every few days, and I swear they can smell trouble.”

Josh described the location where he’d concealed the corpses to her, so that she could pass the information along to the authorities. If the creatures of the forest haven’t seen to them by then.

After discussing the matter for a few minutes more Breaker said goodnight to the matron and climbed the stairs. He entered room sixteen with a small smile for Kinley.

“Well, that’s enough excitement for one night, don’t you think?”

Kinley nodded before snuggling back into the blankets. “Thank you for saving my life again,” she whispered pushing the hair from her face.

Josh took off his boots and laid down next to her, propped up on his side. “Were those men here for you?” He asked softly.

Biting down on her lips, the small red head nodded. “Rupert the bald one fancied me when I was a slave to Joel.. He was probably here to claim me or kill me.”

“A slave?” Josh repeated. He caressed her cheek with a callused hand, “what horrors have you lived through? You don’t have to answer that,” he added hesitantly. Kinley leaned into his touch briefly closing her eyes.

“No, no I want to tell you, it’s the least I can do since you have saved me. Joel acted like a good guy when I was first a slave to my Master Joby. He acted as my friend when I would go to the marketplace to fetch the weekly groceries. I was stupid and too trustworthy. He killed all of Joby’s other slaves and Joby.

I was the only one left I didn’t even know it was Joel until I woke up after being hit over the head. He was very um- possessive over me, as in if another man looked at me he would lash me for it. He said he was gonna marry me and uh- deflower me the next full moon. When the time came I stabbed him and ran as far and fast as I could.” She turned pulling the back of the large shirt down.

Josh breathed deeply. The few sentences from the slight woman had explained so much about her circumstances and personality. “Well you don’t have to worry about that anymore,” he told her, “you can live your own life now.”
    13-3-2

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Hair Color
    Reddish-brown
    Eye Color
    Dark crystal blue
    Build
    Job
    Artist of all sorts

View Profile
    McKinley exposed her back to him showing the lashing she had received. Her once beautiful milky complexion now marred with long scars across her back and a branding on her left shoulder in the shape of a dove.

“May I touch them?” Josh asked.

Kinley nodded, pulling her hair over her right shoulder to expose more of her back.

His coarse, heavy hand stroked her scars gently, his thumb dragging over the brand mark on her shoulder. “You must be very strong to have endured all this,” he said. His hand strayed and swept down her arm, rough fingertips drawing pebbles to her skin. Kinley shivered under his touch.

“I was hardly strong, just endured it..” She said with a shaky voice.

“Endurance takes strength,” he assured her, his voice light and sleepy. She turned back around to face him on her side. “You say all these kind words to me,” she let a daring hand stroke his cheek, her light touch tracing the Y shaped scar.

“Sometimes the prettiest flowers need a little kindness to bloom.” His smile made a dimple beneath her fingertip. A blush caressed her cheeks at his sweet words, with drawing her hand from his face she laid her head down. “Sleep you earned it.”

“If you insist,” Josh murmured, “I suppose I could use a little shuteye.” His hazel orbs hid behind tanned lids as he relaxed on the bed and breathed deeply. “Goodnight my hero,” she mumbled curling up under the blankets.

Maul-Slayer
    GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod (human)
    Hair Color
    Light Brown
    Eye Color
    Hazel
    Build
    6 feet / 202 lbs.

View Profile
    They slept soundly through the night. Breaker awakened to dawn’s brilliance shining through the window, and the sounds of the kitchen preparing for business below. For a few minutes he watched Kinley sleep, and then the redhead rolled over, her crystal blue eyes coming alive as her gaze found him.

“Good morning,” Josh said, “how about some breakfast, and then we get you home safely?”

“That sounds lovely, I sure could use some of my own clothes to wear.” A small giggle spilled from her soft pink lips.

Josh swung his legs off the bed and stood, cracking his spine. His clothes felt slightly sweat-soaked and his hair was badly mussed. “Don’t be afraid,” he told Kinley, and then spread his hands.

Water sprouted from his palms as if from a pair of natural springs. It washed over him in a controlled wave, cleansing his hair and clothing and leaving everything perfectly dry and pressed into place. The water flowed out the window as if through an invisible conduit.

A small gasp escaped her lips as her eyes wide with amazement. “Woah,” Kinley breathed the word.

Josh considered offering to do the same for her, but it seemed like a rather intimate suggestion. Cleansing the woman’s body would be like running his bare hands over her skin.

“I’ll let you get dressed, meet me downstairs,” he said, and slipped out the door. He selected the same table they’d used the previous night, and with the good smells from the kitchen filling the common room he ordered toast, bacon, and eggs. A short time later McKinley came down and joined him, freshly washed and dressed in her borrowed clothing.

“Don’t you look lovely,” Josh commented, enjoying the way her cheeks matched her crimson locks.

“Thanks,” she giggled, the soft pillows that were her lips looked inviting.

“What would you like for breakfast?” Josh asked as the waitress approached.

“Bacon and cheesy eggs please.” She smiled with her response.

The food arrived and they ate a leisurely pace, enjoying the savory flavors and each other’s company. Once they were finished Josh sent the serving girl back to the kitchen with the dishes and some more gold to cover any costs exceeding his original payment.

“Well,” Josh said, looking out the window at the bright sunny day, “time to get you home. Whereabouts do you live?”

“The outskirts of town in a cottage, edge of the woods.” Smiling fondly of the little seclusion she had of her own.

They left the tavern and strolled along the woodland path together. Birdsong filled the trees and crickets chirped from the long grass. They meandered more than necessary, conversing at times or moving in comfortable silence, sometimes arm in arm, others with space between them. Eventually they arrived at the quaint little cottage on the forest’s fringe. Josh stopped short of the front door. Kinley was not Am’aleh… but he had enjoyed her company.

“I suppose this is where we part ways,” Josh said, “but I do hope to see you again soon. You owe me a concert, after all.”

“You want to come in?” She wiggled her key in the keyhole, it was sticking she had already broken off two keys from it. Finally she was able to get the door open.

“I should be on my way,” Josh said, lingering on the doorstep, “I do have some business to attend, you remember.”

“Right,” Kinley blushed slightly. “Well here goes nothing,” she said softly. Before he could speak she closed the distance between the two. Her hands slid up his neck and tangled in his hair. Her lips claimed his as her own.

Josh returned the kiss firmly, enjoying the taste of her soft mouth, allowing his hands to close around her petite waist and draw her closer. The embrace last several moments and then broke as they both drew breath.

“I must go,” he insisted, “but I will see you again soon. I promise.”
    13-3-2

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Hair Color
    Reddish-brown
    Eye Color
    Dark crystal blue
    Build
    Job
    Artist of all sorts

View Profile
    McKinley nodded the words leaving her swollen lips from the luscious kiss they had just shared. “Be safe,” she said letting her hands slip from his locks.

“Always,” Josh said with a grin, “and the same goes double for you.” Kinley laughed holding up three fingers, “scouts honor.” Sighing softly she brushed her fiery mane behind her shoulder. The dreading feeling that Josh had to leave left her slightly more upset that she thought she would be.

“Thank you again for everything, Josh.” His name caressing her tongue before falling from her lips softly.

“You are most welcome, McKinley.” He ran a callused hand down her cheek one last time and then turned and paced down the path. She stood in the doorway, her skin still tingling where his hand had met her flesh.

Letting out a low whistle as she heard a few twigs snap. “Nymeria,” she cooed softly as the calico colored beast broke through the shrubs.

She waltzed into the door before making her way over to her goose feathered bed and laying down. Striking a match Kinley set the fireplace a blaze. A smile still on her face as she looked around her simple stone cottage.

She walked into her room slipping from the clothes she had borrowed. She changed into simple black lounge pants that hugged her petite form and a gray tank top.

She scurried back into the kitchen lighting her stove. A cast iron skillet on there as she pulled out some steaks and mushrooms along with some potatoes.

Sighing for softly Kinley felt at ease when playing music or cooking. She hummed a cheerful tune her voice easily filling the cottage as it bounced off the stone walls. Soon after the succulent smell of steaks filled the air.

It had been a few hours of her cooking, humming and cleaning when a knock came at the door. “Who could that be?” Kinley asked absent mindedly. She opened the door and gasped slightly in shock. “Josh?”

Breaker stood on the threshold, smiling. “I thought you might need this,” he said, producing a long, slender wooden box from behind his back. He passed it into Kinley’s waiting hands. “Open it.”

With shaking hands Kinley opened the box, inside was a sleek beautiful cherry wood violin. Engraved on the opposite side of the chin hold was her name in gold letters. McKinley

She looked at him, her mouth fell open as her eyes collected tears. “Josh..” was all she could force herself to say.

“I made a quick run to the bazaar,” he explained, smiling broadly, “you can thank me later… right now, you owe me a song.”

She couldn't stop the smile from spreading across her face as she nodded holding the door open for him. “Please come in.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast