The rowboat crunched up the beach with waves breaking around its stern. Without a word I stepped onto dry land, the haversack clutched in one hand, the bracer worn beneath my sleeve. I placed a bare foot on the boat’s prow and pushed the pirates off. They roared their thanks as they spun the craft about and rowed back toward the anchored corvette.

I walked along the dry sand, staying out of the tide’s reach. The wind teased my hair to the tune of the ocean’s steady song. Though the sun still hid below the horizon its radiance touched the world. The inky night sky became a blend of deep purples and blues, and wispy gray clouds replaced weakly twinkling stars. I walked until I found my boots, still laying on the beach where I’d left them.

Kicking sand off my feet, I stepped into the Breaker Boots and took a deep breath of salty air. I pulled the Thaynebinder out of the haversack and left the bag and book in the dirt as I waded into the ocean up to my waist. The water’s touch was cool but comforting, swirling and appreciative.

Am’aleh appeared in an array of semi-frozen seafoam bubbles, settling into her usual glistening shape.

“My champion,” she purred, placing her palms on my chest and leaning in for a kiss, “You brought me-”

The adamantine collar snapped shut around her aqueous neck. My hands moved faster than eyes could follow as I fastened the shackles on her watery wrists.