Like broken mirrors
    Ten million shards of glass and tears
    But now we are
    Awake enough to show what we hear
    Like broken mirrors
    Reflections of an unfamiliar face
    Broken Mirrors - Rise Against

~*~

The castle had seen better days. Time had been a cruel mistress since the soldiers that once held it had left the fortress. The courtyard held a few practice dummies, aged and unable to withstand the punishment they once had. The wood dry rotted and lost. A simple kick could have destroyed the targeting dummy, and it was obvious that was the intent. The stones held the signs of rains that wore them down, and much like everything else, the colors seemed dimmer, the vibrancy diluted.

It was as if the life was slowly draining from the castle with each year.

A small group of men were gathered in the courtyard. Milling about they seemed to be inspecting the area around a masked man who even then was slowly unraveling bandages from his arms. Dressed in a drab colored kimono the man let the bandages slowly leave his arms revealing the tell tale indentations of continued wear. Gently placing the bandages within his satchel he reached up and took off the mask, his eyes closing as he gently took in the sunlight.

One of the men looked concerned at the masked man before he spoke, “You okay sir?”

“Never better,” Was the prompt reply. The masked warrior smiled softly before he opened his eyes and looked about him. A sigh of contentment left his lips before he looked at the men, “Check the Barracks to make sure that they haven’t been looted. Determine if the mattresses should be tossed or not. Weatherly, head down to the farm and use some of the group's fund to buy straw to restuff the mattresses. Erikson, check that the armory remains locked and we can determine if we’ll need to take anything from it before we leave in a few days.”

Weatherly nodded as he mounted up on a horse and took off down the way to the farm. His gear was one of a farm hand from the great plains of Corone. He rode the horse like he was born to it though, and with a saber he was handy on the battlefield.

With the men milling about Taka took to a task of his own. The General’s Quarters would be checked, for any sign of a return. He wasn't sure what he would do if he actually saw one of the other Generals. Well, of he saw William Arcus he knew what he'd do, but Talen Shadowwalker, Sei himself, Kyla Orlouge, or Duffy Braken. There were days he wasn't sure if any panther other Generals cared, and he hoped one day to never find out.
    How something is said, is just as important as what is said. -Anonymous

EXP: 38,655, Level: 8
    Level completed: 41%, EXP required for next level: 5,345
    Level completed: 41%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,345
    GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Emerald, yellow ring around iris
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    The rundown castle was gratuitous, Amari had been trekking through the forest for some time and fatigue tugged at her heavy limbs. As though through sheer coincidence, a storm was approaching, rolling thunder in the distance and flashes of light danced across the grey sky. If the woman had to choose between getting soaked in the surrounding forests or heading into a possibly beast infested fortified castle and stay dry, she’d pick staying dry.

The halls were covered with layers of dust and neglect, funnily enough, it seemed as though no creatures were present. Amari walked close to the wall, letting her blackened fingers trail across the smooth stone surface. It is almost as though someone still cares for this place. It’s rundown, but not in complete shambles, there even seems to be signs of repair. Amari furrowed her brows, wondering why someone would bother to take care of a clearly abandoned place. She turned a corner and noticed a tattered banner above a wooden door. “Mmm?” The insignia was familiar; a ring of nine stars with a IX in the center.

“The Knights…” Amari breathed, she knew of them, her Master had spoken of them before. She had even met one, although he was most probably dead.

Sounds of footsteps from the other side of the door caused Amari to cease her movement, she stilled her breath and red tentacles of light burst forth from her back as she steeled herself into a defensive position. The person behind the door didn’t seem to be alerted to her presence, they were being loud, which meant Amari had the upper hand.

The door swung open and out stepped a man with hair devoid of any colour, as white as the Salvarian snow. It settled at his hips along with a sword. He had blackened arms, much like her own and he looked upon her with surprised steel coloured eyes. He made a move for his side and Amari assumed he was reaching for his sword.

“Don’t move!” She ordered, taking a step toward the familiar man. “I’d really rather not bother, but if I have to I will rip you apart.”

“You took my tongue, I would find it difficult to think what you would steal this time,” The man said lifting a mask from his side before setting it upon his face.

“Taka?” It dawned on her, it was obvious now. Few had such an appearance, few wore dulled Akashiman robes. Amari felt a tad foolish for not picking it sooner. Her eyes narrowed, she had unwittingly walked into his domain, and if the roles were reversed she’d have attacked the intruder on sight.

“I’d do it again too, so don’t fuckin’ tempt me!” She spat, clearly on the defensive. She wasn’t about to let the man get the jump on her. “I ain’t looking for a fight, I know this is your domain. I’ll leave, without incident.” Amari paused, watching as he adjusted the mask to clip back over the blackened part of his face. “Unless provoked, then I may just take more than your tongue.”

“For threats it would be wise to be outside striking distance of the one you threaten. I would suggest a few steps back. As for your presence here, I will not throw one out into the storm. One of my men is getting straw for a farm nearby and we should certainly have extra to make up a bed for you if you wish. So long as you do not act this hostile towards my men, you may stay until the storm passes so long as you refrain from any area locked away. There are things here that have been kept locked for a reason, I would hate to see you learn them,” The tone held a dull note as the Ronin turned and locked the door he had come out of, “I wouldn't want you to wander into the bad memories of the Ixian Knights. Their Generals were not known for their hospitality.”

Amari didn’t quite trust the man, las they met she had indeed ripped out his tongue, along with breaking multiple bones. Now he was offering her hospitality? It didn’t make sense. “I left you for dead, why the hell would you help me?” He turned and looked at her, silently, as though assessing her. Amari didn’t appreciate the lack of response. She didn’t like the look he was giving her. “The hell is that look for?” She assumed he, like everyone else was eying off her blackened hands, and how it trailed up her arms like lightning. “By the looks of it, you got the same damn markings as I do, so save the fuckin’ judging stare.” She snapped.

Despite her angered words, the tentacles behind her flickered out of existence, “Don’t make me regret this.” She muttered. Amari was not a fool, but she was also not one to needlessly start a fight, especially when she was so tired.

EXP: 24,798, Level: 6
    Level completed: 69%, EXP required for next level: 2,202
    Level completed: 69%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,202
    GP

Name
    Taka
    Race
    Akashiman (Human)
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Job
    Samurai (Ronin)

View Profile
    “I wasn't judging, merely wondering if that's how I looked when Orlouge-dono enlisted me in the Knights. I suppose it must be, for that look is not of someone who understands the kindness others are capable of,” His words were measured before he turned. He stopped and looked back over his shoulders, “As for the answer, you and I were warriors on opposite sides of a war, nothing more, nothing less. I cannot hold you any more accountable than I could hold a blade accountable. Senator Fordstein is my foe, not you.”

He paused as he looked upon her face before he spoke softly, “It's about your face now. I'm sorry.” He turned to go down the hallway.

“Been on my face a while now, it's just darker now.” She muttered, raising a hand to run over her jawline. “What’s it matter to you?”

He nodded, “I apologize. It was getting dark when we last met. I shall take your word for it. My men are probably grabbing some kitchen implements from the pantry to try and cook a meal. If you wish you can join is as we seldom cook enough for just us. Some are hungrier on certain days, so we often have excess. If you do not wish to join us I can show you the Barracks, or perhaps I can find a more private room you can properly barricade. I believe the Tsukai had cleared her room appropriately, and it would be difficult to approach without you being able to notice.”

“I don’t care.” the woman known to him only as ‘Red’ mumbled, “I just wanted to stay dry, I don’t exactly ‘do’ people. Nor do people care to be around me. It’s probably best if I kept my distance from whatever men you have here, I’m used to the solitude.”

Taka stopped and looked at her before he spoke softly, “They're used to people like us. If you're afraid the corruption will disgust them you are mistaken. They may look to see how it differs from mine, but I assure you in short order they won't even notice it. However if it is your wish I will show you the Tsukai’s former quarters. Though I will warn you to stay out of her store house, she cursed those who stole from it. A minor hex, but one that proves irritating as she didn't dispel it before she left.”

He continued to walk before he said firmly, “Someone refused to give up on me, and because of that I am the warrior who took Gisela from the Coronian Rangers and rescued Valdta from an encroaching army. If you should ever change your mind about your path. If you ever feel the Crimson Hand does not have the best interest for you, I am here. That is all I will say on the matter. With that, do you wish to join us for dinner?”

“People like us?” She muttered bitterly. “Don’t act like you know me. I know people like you, you act all righteous, as though you have my best interests at heart, but in the end you all just fuckin’ disappear, or get shitty when things don’t go your way. My Master is the only one who seems to be excited to see me like this, the only one who takes an interest in what I am. I damn well know my place with him, I’m his tool, there is no flattery, no falsehoods.” She opened her mouth as if to say something more, and Taka expected her to reject his offer for dinner, if not for the loud rumble of her stomach.

“Fine, but don’t expect me to be nice.”

“I wouldn't wish to put undue expectations on you. You are correct I do not know you. I believe you were referred to as 'Red’ by your compatriot, but if that is your name or not I do not know. In the realm of knowing about each other you have me soundly defeated,” He turned to her and bowed neatly, giving her the respect he felt due, “If you wish we can use that name for the duration of your stay. You are officially under Ixian Hospitality, and I will uphold the part of host. So long as you do not harm my men or destroy our property, you are free to move about the area. You are welcome to stay as long as we do, and we will let you know when we plan to leave.”

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    She couldn’t understand it, he was being so polite and courteous. He was right, she wasn’t used to kindness. She didn’t understand it, she struggled with the ideals of it. “Red is fine.” She said cautiously as she watched him walk in front of her. She tried to piece together his reasoning, he must be trying to lull her into a false sense of security, but for what purpose? She had yet to figure that out, in the meantime she’d go along with him and wait for an opening.

“I’ll leave come morning, regardless of the storm.” Amari said as she shoved her hands into the pockets of her jacket. “Don’t think I’m going to drop my guard just because you offer me a bed and food.”

“As I said the Tsukai’s room gives you a chance to be aware of people coming and going. She was our medic, and so she needed to be aware on a moment's notice of new injuries. As for the food, while some of the men can't cook, I'll be sure one who can cooks tonight,” Taka offered.

Amari would have normally offered to cook, but last time she did that for someone they insulted her, and threw her halfway across Althanas. “I really don’t care, you can stop going out of your way, stop being so damn polite it’s unnerving.”

The two continued down the hall, and around a corner before Amari spoke up again, attempting to shift the conversation away from her. “I take it you aren’t an Ar’Tuel, so whats with the markings all over your body?” Revealing her race and origin was a bit of a gamble, but she had to say something to get him to talk, and she doubted he had any information on her kind, if he did, she’d attempt to obtain it, for she knew little about her race.

“Oni’s blood mixed with mine when I tried to defend a charge. My failure to do so was what cast me as a Ronin. It wasn't until later I found that the Oni had begun to wage war for a vessel to open the Gates of Jigoku with. In my society the blackened skin, and the blood that goes with it, are enough to see me executed. It gives me a near immortality, but everytime I take advantage of this “gift” is a step closer to the day the Oni takes over and I must be put down like the beast I am becoming. As for the Ar’Tuel, I am woefully ignorant of such things. Orlouge-dono’s Library is a bit dangerous and so I didn't read much from it.”

His words piqued a new interest within Amari. “Oni? So you have some sort of...demon inside you, vying for control?” If it were the case, Amari wondered if she’d be able to speak to the creature, or pull it to the surface. She knew such a feat would no doubt injure Taka, but what did she care? As far as she could tell, he was just trying to play her for some fool. “I don’t see why you fight it, I accept what I’ve become. Master calls it a gift.” Amari ran a hand through her hair and managed a forced laugh, “If he had it his way, he’d see me completely corrupted in an instant, but I suppose I ain’t up to that yet. As for your library, I doubt I’d find much of anything there. Why not have an agreement with the creature? Share control? Work together?”

“For you see the strength and the way that it can be used to cause misery and wreak bloody vengeance. For me, I see the loss of everything I hold dear. I see a betrayal of all I am, merely for a petty thing as power. It is as the Lavinian Demon once told me, ‘There is always someone better. Never assume you are the most powerful.’ Power loses its allure when you realize it consumes your life and you will still never have enough.”

Amari shrugged at his words, “That’s where you and I differ, Taka.” She paused as he laid a hand on the wooden door, he turned to give her a questioning look. “I have nothing. I hold nothing dear, not even my own life.” Her words stung, and left a heavy feeling in her chest as she spoke them. Amari had tried to reach out to others, she had tried to find comfort and solace. She even began to believe that there was such a thing as kindness, but now?

“I’m nothing more than an extension of my Master’s will.”

Her words were spoken with a heartbreaking finality, signalling the end of their discussion.

GP

Name
    Taka
    Race
    Akashiman (Human)
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Job
    Samurai (Ronin)

View Profile
    The mess hall was still standing as a testament to the ingenuity the knights had. The small group of men huddled near the fireplace even now burning logs that had been freshly cut from the nearby forest. The band was participating in its usual banter as Taka ate from the soup made on such short notice. Chopsticks moved with practiced precision gathering vegetables and meat alike before he sipped from the broth.

His eyes moved to the group occasionally, much as a parent would over their children. His gaze seeming to carry a soft solemnity that showed an artificial aging of his soul. He remained silent through most of the meal.

Red had remained aloof taking her bowl and eating separate from the other mercenaries. There had been a few glances at her and Taka, but when the Dark Blade had said she was under their hospitality they never once questioned it. A couple surely tried to be friendly, only to realize she was better left to her own devices.

Finally he looked at his guest before he spoke, “I hope the soup is sufficient. It appears a few of the vegetables decided to grow root, and so we had to see if the garden had any left.”

“It’s...edible.” Red said as she lazily spun the spoon to and fro in the soup, every so often taking a mouthful. “Flour would have thickened the broth, and the cream should have been set to room temperature before adding to the soup to prevent curdling.”

Taka shrugged before he spoke, “A fair assessment. I shall be sure to let the cook know.”

His eyes drifted to her hand idly stirring the soup. Finally he dredged up some courage, “If you are a tool, what does that make me? Am I also a tool? Do I have no choice but to be what I am? I worry about things like that Red. I truly do.”

“You have no choice.” Red said in a curt reply, “You can only ever be what you are, but what you are is defined by your actions. You worry about shit like that, so I suppose it already shows that you aren’t on a set course. There is no such thing as destiny, nor choice. It’s all just cause and effect.”

“It sounds like you stopped worrying. May I ask why?” the Ronin looked to her as he got up and carefully placed his bowl on a nearby table next to the pot. His eyes taking on a searching quality.

“Waste of time. I know what I am, why spend the energy worrying about it?” She glanced upward at some of the other soldiers and sighed, turning her eyes back to the barely touched soup. “Less time and emotions spent on something so frivolous, the better.”

Taka nodded softly, his gaze dropping to his stained arms before he spoke, “I was afraid of that. You see Red, you gave me hope, a hope that there was a way to continue to resist my condition. However the more I talk the more I realize we see the corruption within us in entirely different ways. To you it's a blessing, for me it's a curse.”

The men erupted into a bout of laughter, obviously trading stories from their last time in town. It was a game they played to one up each other until someone finally called out the lie. Taka looked upon his men before he said softly, “To know I will never have what they have is a deadly blow. However, to know my struggle might make their lives better, is why I persist. Against persistence, even death is but a pale foe.”

Taka looked at Amari before he spoke, “That is why I disagree with your master. You are more than a tool, you even knew that at one point. The fact that he forced you to accept such a cruel thing as fact only speaks of his contempt for others. We come from two different worlds Red. I was hoping that difference would allow me insight into my own problem. However, in this case it seems more as a divide, that makes it impossible to compare.”

He got up and looked at her, “I will bore you with my inner fears and worries no more tonight, shall I show you to your room?”

His hand gently moved to bring the mask upon his face once more.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Their conversations had once again turned down an unsavoury path that twisted up Amari’s insides. “Is it really that cruel?” She asked as Taka lead her up a flight of stairs. “He has given me a purpose. He is the only one who hasn’t lied to me. He doesn’t….” She paused, scrunching her face as memories of others surfaced. Of Jake, and Fenn, and Shinsou. Those three men were the closest Amari got to having friends, yet, each in their own way, had abandoned her. Amari sighed. “I think it far crueler to care for someone, and have them abandon you, no?”

Amari didn’t give him time to answer, she steeled herself and placed a smirk upon her pale, cracked features. “You have one thing right, Taka, it is impossible to compare. My corruption comes from my own soul, as my very being shifts and tears itself apart. Yours comes from a foreign entity. Now,” she followed him up the remainder of the stairs and folded her arms over her chest. “Which one of these dusty rooms am I sleepin’ in tonight?” She was regaining her nonchalant composure. Not wanting to dwell on things that caused her chest to ache.

The Ixian General showed her through to a large room. Beds were strewn about in rows, giving little to no privacy. It seemed less like a place to live and more a place to rest. Taka moved deftly between the beds in a rote dance that seemed well rehearsed as they made it to the far end where two doors resided, “This one is the room you should stay out of. The Tsukai cursed it so anything taken from is will cause you great discomfort.” His hand pointed to a door off to the right. He then pointed forward, “This door leads to the Tsukai’s personal chambers, though I heard she took up residence in Radasanth. She shouldn't mind one night’s rest.”

“Right, what kind of stuff is in there anyway?” Amari said, glancing back at the red double doors she was advised to stay away from. Despite any discomfort she would receive, she was curious as to what was beyond. “I don’t know how much sleep I’ll get, but…” She paused, it was always hard for her to offer her thanks. “Thank you.”

“You are welcome, Red. Helping someone was a welcome distraction, it reminded me why I became an Ixian Knight to begin with,”A wry tone entered his voice, “Even if the person I help was rather insistent she didn't need it.”

“I sure as hell didn’t need whatever the hell was in that soup.” Amari quipped as she entered the room and shut the door behind her. The room was a considerable size, and painted a clean white that remained pristine even after years of abandon.

There was a bookshelf on the far wall, most of its contents had been cleared out, few dusty tomes remained. Amari didn’t care to look at them, her eyes danced over the room toward the bed, which had a single chair to the side of it, the chair was covered in a thick layer of dust but the duvet on the bed was clean pressed and inviting. Amari approached the bed and ran a cautious hand over it, inspecting it for any signs of tripwire or traps. Seeing none she heaved herself against the covers and groaned.

“Fuck I’m tired.” She forced her eyes shut, “Emotions are such a bother.” She muttered as she tried to force herself to get some semblance of sleep.

GP

Name
    Taka
    Race
    Akashiman (Human)
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Job
    Samurai (Ronin)

View Profile
    The Ronin left the medical ward, giving himself time alone to gather his thoughts. Red had given him many puzzling questions without much in the way of answers. Still, he continued to move through the castle before he saw the one man he knew would be waiting.

“She's bad news and you know it,” Erickson said as he ran a hand through his dusty blonde hair.

“Is she now?” the Ronin asked in mirth.

“She's distracting you from what's important. You see a way to get those answers you always wanted, she is just seeing a sap who's blinded by her wiles.”

The two of them moved down the hallway as Taka responded still amused, “Whatever would Orlouge-Dono think?”

“Boss, why are we aiding this chick? She is just standoffish and refused to even try,” Erikson challenged.

“At one time that was me. So paralyzed by the fear of what was happening to me, that I accepted far worse than I deserved. Need I remind you of the Courtier?”

“What are you saying?”

“She forgot she has a choice, that she doesn't have to accept anything. I almost forgot that as well. In the end she will say what she feels needs to be said and do what she feels needs to be done. However if she remembers that she has a choice, and if she knows seeking me out can be her exercising that choice, she can look at her situation once more. She has to choose it, if she feels forced she will always regress, but if she willingly chooses it, and doesn't lie to herself or have that choice forced upon her. Redemption Erickson-san.”

“Not all who wander are lost Taka, with all due respect have you considered that in trying to redeem her you're setting yourself up for betrayal? Remi pulled that crap on Sei and look where that got us. We have a whole night of nightmares courtesy of that crazy bitch. This castle is full of bloodstains reminding us not everyone can be redeemed.”

Taka stopped outside the mess hall where the others were before he turned to Erikson, “That woman could have been justification to never try to redeem me. I will one day become the monster in my blood. Everyday is a guessing game of when. Some days I feel it's influence weaken, others I feel it grow stronger. Orlouge-dono took a chance no-one else would. I owe it to him to try with Red.”

Erikson shook his head before he spoke, “Very well boss, let's hope she doesn't try to assassinate you in your sleep.”
    Last edited by Tainted Bushido; 03-23-17 at 05:18 AM.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari woke with a start, the place seemed darker now; and the storm had quietened down. She rubbed her eyes, still feeling the onset of fatigue. She must had had a few hours of sleep at best. Amari stood and headed for the door, now was as good a time as any to scout the place. Perhaps I’d find something useful for Master Ulroke here, I promised I’d not harm his men, I didn’t promise I’d stay put.

Despite her curiosity, the woman didn’t want to be hexed in the middle of Ixian territory, so she avoided the red double doors. She moved quietly through the castle, finding nothing of interest beyond a few sleeping men. Amari, despite everything, was a woman of her word, and didn’t bother to pick any of the locked doors. She came across the mess hall, a kitchen, a storage facility with boxes and crates of miscellaneous goods. Thus far, it was nothing of interest.

“Locked away secrets my ass…” She mumbled. She was about ready to head back to her room, but stopped past one door, trying it, she carefully pushed it open to see none other than Taka who appeared to be soundly sleeping in a bed sitting on the far wall.

Amari slipped into the room and approached him, kneeling down before him. It’d be easy, so easy to kill him. In and out, she could even make it look like an accident - she could inflict his body with a slow acting poison, or have him suffocate in his dreams. The woman reached out and brushed strands of his white hair out of his face.

Such a complicated mess.

If she killed him now, he’d just revive himself, and she’d have none of the answers she wanted. She was curious about this ‘Oni’ within him, and just like he, she wanted to know how their corruption was related, and how it differed.

Deciding against outright murder Amari stood, ready to leave the room.

The Ronin seemed to convulse on the bed as a deep breath was taken. His breathing hitched as if he was preparing to do battle. Shortly after he went back to remaining still.

Amari paused, watching as he twitched in his sleep, everyone had their demons which seemed to surface in their sleep. Amari snorted at the thought, realising how literal it was when it came to Taka. “You are a conundrum, Taka.” She breathed. She watched him a few minutes more to see if his internal struggles would continue.

Mutterings in the Akashiman tongue left his lips as a fist clenched, battle closing once more. The Ronin it seems would not sleep well tonight. That was however, not Amari’s concern, in his tossing and turning state, he had managed to pull more of his winter locks across his face. Amari, being ever oddly enthralled with hair, reached out and made to carefully shift out of his face, her blackened fingers dancing across his own dark features.

“That’s that, then.” She said as she pulled away. “Best make my leave, else your men think I really am after your life.”

“Flee angel, even if you hadn't fallen you have no power here. This soul is mine, paid in blood by the rites of old,” the words spilled from the ronin’s mouth with none of his accent or concern.

Amari froze, the man seemed to sleep, with his eyes shut and the steady breathing of his chest, but he spoke in a tone that was clearly not his own. “I see…” She murmured, taking more of an interest in the sleeping man than before. “You’re the demon, right?” Amari leaned over the sleeping ronin. “Interesting. He’s unconscious so you have limited control over his body.” She ignored the Oni’s warning. She wasn’t about to leave now that the answers she wanted were falling right into her lap. “Keep it. I have no need for his soul, the hell would I do with it anyway.”

“You fell so far. It's pathetic. I should kill your host and drag you with the Ronin back to Jigoku. Your soul would be a fine addition to my collection. I may even let you play with the Ronin now and again…” the tone took a more vulgar pitch as the eyes sprang open and he looked at her with a leering grin.

Amari rose her knee to the bed, so she could lean over Taka’s body, her hair spilled over her bare shoulders and landed on the Ronin’s chest. “Too bad for you, killing my physical body won’t do jack shit. You’re one to talk, confined in a fleshy prison of your own. Go ahead and try to drag me to Juguko or whatever. I’d make it a living hell for you.”

The inky darkness that enveloped his left hand seemed to grow darker as the hand shot out reaching for the throat as the one hissed from the Ronin’s mouth, “An Ar’Tuel wishes to lecture an oni on the trivialities of the soul? You have fallen, it's no wonder the corruption eats away at your form as a disease. You are not meant to sow misery, ignoring your place in the celestial order has only increased your pain tenfold.”

In the wan light a blade flashed as a tanto was revealed to be in Taka's other hand, “What is it the little falcon used to say? Ah yes, know where your blade is, always.”

Despite the hand around her throat Amari was still able to breath, the Oni hadn’t gripped it tight enough to still the entirety of her breathing. In retaliation Amari gripped Taka’s shoulders tightly, her hands crackling with a Crimson glow. “The HELL do you know of my kind!?” She spat, his words now getting to her. Amari had little to no memory of her apparent past lives, and as such, her race. Hearing the Oni taunt her with information it clearly had pissed her off. So much so she completely disregarded his comment, and the flash of the blade.

GP

Name
    Taka
    Race
    Akashiman (Human)
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Job
    Samurai (Ronin)

View Profile
    The hands singed flesh even as the Ronin seemed to ignore the pain. It looked into her eyes as he spoke, “It's a pity, damaged Ar,Tuel souls aren't worth as much as intact ones. Whoever forced you from the path ruined a perfectly good soul.”

The knife was quickly drawn across the skin in an effort draw blood, a shallow cut before it continued, “Self defense I'll say. You were trying to murder me and assumed I had fallen for your repentant soul act. In the end they won't know, after all I can act the part well enough, I've nearly eclipsed his soul…”

Red’s grip loosened as she drew one hand to her chest, its light shifting to a crackling golden glow.as she attempted to heal the wound. “I said, the HELL do you know of MY KIND!?” She retaliated, using her other hand to grip the hilt of the weapon in a weak attempt to pry it from his hands.

“LIke hell his men would believe you’re Taka. I know shit all about him, but I damn well know you’re nothing like him.” She arched her back and pressed her forehead to Taka’s. “If you’re so familiar with my kind you know I can send you back, right? So much for eclipsing his soul, eh?”

A mocking tone entered the Oni's voice before it chucked her into a stone wall with a casualness that belied his strength, “So much for eclipsing his soul, eh? You would have to claw your way quite a bit outside the pit you dug yourself to repair the damage his soul has taken. See, your healing it's barely working on bodies, and that's the easiest thing in the world to mend. Look at me, an oni with only one name can resurrect the dead. The soul? That's a hoot.”

Taka moved swiftly and kicked, aiming right for the ribs, “You angels cling to your self righteous indignation so much, well look where that got you. The Ronin did warn you, there are many things locked away in this keep.”

Red held in a cry of pain as Taka kicked her ribs a second time. She struggled to push herself off the floor, she spat out a mouthful of blood. “I’ll fuckin’ show you.” She spat as her back erupted into four tentacles, this time a sizzling golden colour. “What was it Taka said? If you’re gonna make threats, do it away from striking distance?” They moved in unison, aiming for his chest, as they connected it was clear the woman was attempting to mend parts of Taka’s soul. “S-s-start answering my q-questions, demon.”

The oni grunted as the tentacles hit center mass. His hands gripping the tentacles as he grunted, “You are the embodiment of life given birth by the All Thayne. Your existence is one of peace, not war. The fact you follow the path of the fallen weakens you, and will be your undoing.”

Taka grunted as he ripped two of her tentacles from his flesh, they disintegrated in his grip; his gaze hardening before he spoke, “You forsake your purpose. Then try to follow it as if it were that simple? You are pathetic, as much as the Little Falcon, who even now rails against the prison forced upon him. At least he didn't pretend he was more than he was.”

With a grunt the last two tentacles were torn from his chest and they too shattered, “We are your opposite, creatures of destruction. One day the gates to Jigoku will open, and a thousand years of darkness shall fall upon this world. In the meantime I think I'm going to break that body you're hiding in, and scoop you out for a snack later. It's not like keeping you will give me much prestige...when you corrupt yourselves it's too easy.”

Red sat on the floor, breathing heavily and barely conscious. The Oni moved the body to kneel before her before it roughly grabbed her by the hair and jerked looking into her eyes, “I've always wanted to watch an Ar’Tuel die…”

“G-g-go ahead and try.” She spat.

His body jerked then remained still. He looked at the knife in his other hand and growled, “Little Falcon, you have lost give me my kill!” The hand moved for only a second before it was stopped once more. The eyes softened before the body took a ragged gasp.

His breathing shuddered as he winced in pain and dropped the knife. Finally he let go of Red's hair before he rolled and lay against the wall next to her and spoke, his accent returning, “My apologies, I seem to have forgotten my manners.”

“I-It’s fine.”

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Amari tried to take slow, deep breaths. She had attempted too much too quickly, her head was swimming and her vision blurred. She knew she was taking a chance when she attempted to heal Taka’s soul, especially with an unwilling host. Still, she felt she had managed to stir the Oni enough to get some answers for now.

“Y-Ya know, even if he did...kill me, he’d have...only killed a physical body. I-I’d still live. I’ve d-died countless times already.” She joked in an attempt to make Taka feel less bothered by the sudden resurgence of the Oni. Amari pushed her hair out of her face and pressed the back of her head against the wall.

“As reassuring as that seems, I did promise you safety for the night. It seems I have failed in that regard. When you needed me most I was the one hurting you,” He said with a pained tone in his voice.

Amari forced herself to laugh, the action pained her body but it was a dulled sensation and the woman had a high pain tolerance. “It’s what I get for snooping around I suppose. To be brutally honest, I don’t mind. You should see the shit my Master puts me though, bone manipulation, flaying, a little rough housing like this...it’s a-a walk in the park.” She coughed, cleared her throat and continued. “Besides, your little friend is a good source of information.”

“He's no friend of mine. One day I wish him gone, until then we are stuck together. I will admit it wasn't until you hurt me that I saw my chance. I'm lucky one of my men didn't have to run me through,” His voice held a soft tone as he looked over at her, “Touch is Taboo in my homeland, it is meant for behind closed doors, I think I see why now…”

“Taka. We are behind closed doors.” Amari quipped.

“I will admit, you gave me the perfect timing for my attempt to usurp control. I did not expect my sensei’s little truth to take root in you, but I'm glad you saw the wisdom of the lesson.”

“Mmm…” Amari glanced down at her hands, “It wasn’t exactly an attack, I suppose it was one on him, I have the ability to heal cracks and tears in damaged souls, I’ve successfully done so before but I’ve never done so on an unwitting participant.” She glanced over at him, “Is it that easy for him to take control? Just having someone touch you?”

“Passion, it gives a warrior strength, but also robs it of nobility. When I stray from Bushido, the Oni gains a firmer grip on my soul. There is no in between. It's why my life has been celibate, and why I don't look for a wife.”

“Damn.” Amari muttered, she wasn’t exactly a sexual person but her brief encounters with such a thing had mostly been enjoyable. “That’s pretty black and white, even my Master’s had a wife before…” The last sentence was spoken with a sort of sympathy for the man. Hearing how restricted his life was, was kinda depressing. “All I did was shift hair away from your face, not exactly a romantic romp.” She muttered. “I just assumed it was because you were unconscious…mmm…” She trailed off as she spoke her thoughts out aloud, “He knows of my race...I wonder if my soul acted as a sort of beacon for him? Taka, do you hear him speak to you? Can he hear us now?”

“I do, but I ignore it. His words are like an inky darkness on my mind. Sometimes he's trying to talk to me...sometimes he's trying to plant thoughts in my head to act upon. Either way I cannot afford to listen to him, it would only make it harder to discern who is who in my own mind,” Taka replied softly as he looked at the Tanto and kicked it away, “I would imagine he is listening to this while biding his time. He made his play too early, he will wait before trying again.”

“Good.” Amari replied as she pushed herself off the wall, she placed a hand carefully between his legs to avoid touching him. She leaned over him so she could stare into his eyes. Her tone lowering into a very dark and very real threat. “Cause I’m gonna come for you, lil’ Oni, we aren’t done yet.” Amari blinked, focusing her gaze on Taka’s face. “It’s easy to discern who is who in your mind. I’d think you strong enough to have a strong sense of self.” Amari leaned back, pulling her hair out of her face. “Honestly… for someone who needs to be so sure of himself, you have too much self doubt.”

“I never claimed to be perfect. I merely persist, because I know how important an Ixian General still being out in the world trying to do good is. Whether I wanted to be or not, I'm a beacon of hope. Whether I'm ready or not, my men look to me for answers. You get to see who I truly am, they only see the mask,” Taka laughed bitterly as he looked down at the inky darkness of his skin.

Amari wasn’t very good with elongated discussions like this, she wasn’t very good at talking, let alone consoling someone. Still, Taka had helped her, she would even go as far as to say the Oni inside him had helped her. Amari fell backward, landing on the floor. The blade clattering near her outstretched hand. “Hope huh? Bit hard to instill that if you don’t hold onto it yourself, course, what do I know of such a thing? I don’t believe in it.” She paused, considering his words. The Ixian Knights, they didn’t seem that bad and she wondered what history her Master had with them. “You know of the Crimson Hand, what is the history between the two groups?”

“Lichensith Ulroke doesn't like the Ixian Knights because he hides in the shadows. We know that even the shadows can be an ally of the forces of good and used them as well. It is only natural he saw us as predators competing for his territory. He sought to corrupt our members, be they Jensen Ambrose or Seth Dahlios. He fights to maintain, because he fears what we might do if we took his precious shadows from him,” Taka explained.

Amari sighed, “He’s such a handful...I’ll deal with it. My way of saying thanks, I somehow have a way with him, Madison says. He’s less volatile,” She snorted. “If that were possible.”

“Eiskalt….” Taka hissed.

The word, Amari knew of Eiskalt, of what Lye did, and how he had abandoned his own men to die. The war that was raged. She couldn’t change the past. “I know he’s done some horrendous things, I cannot change that. Despite that, I cannot let my loyalty to him sway. If anything. I’d rather he rule the hand with respect, and not with fear or pain. I’m implementing changes within the ranks, I’m not going to allow something like that to happen again.” She doubted her words would comfort the man, she wasn’t sure why she was even bothering to. She held no loyalty to him, and no responsibility to his well being. “I suppose…” She said her thoughts out loud, which must have seemed broken to Taka. “We’re quite alike, more so than I would ever admit. I wonder if we would have been allies if circumstances were different.”

“When you are ready to pursue that question, seek me out. Not a moment sooner. You were under the illusion you had no choice, but refusing to make a choice is still choosing. One day, you will finally come to a decision. I pray to the guardians that you choose what's best for you,” Taka grunted as he began to stand up and looked down at Amari, “If you wish I'll grab you something from the storehouse, or perhaps I should help you back down there? The Tsukai said she convinced her damnable winds to encourage healing in that ward…”

“I’m fine where I am.” She said in answer to his offer of both a choice, and his offer to aid her. “You’re the one who is probably sporting some nasty burns on his shoulders, I could heal them up for you if you like, but it’d result in me touching you, something you can’t do , eh?” Amari shut her eyes and shook her head. “No physical contact, hell, even I can admit the comfort and warmth of another being is something that should never be taken away. What a life.” She yawned, “What….a life.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast