Thread: Writing Action Scenes

Writing Action Scenes

As a first-time writer, I found myself having trouble in writing action scenes. I've read some tips on writing action scenes, I've reread my favorite action scenes and favorite action writers, but I keep feel there's something wrong with how I am writing it. Is there any advice or helpful tips anybody would recommend?

EXP: 16,803, Level: 5
    Level completed: 47%, EXP required for next level: 3,197
    Level completed: 47%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,197
    GP

Name
    Nyadir D'Var
    Race
    Half-Elf
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'3, 220lbs
    Job
    Murder-Hobo

View Profile
    I enjoy writing action scenes, and usually approach it like it's a movie scene, with what I describe moving the reader's eye like a camera. My first focus is usually on realism; if I cut from above, jumping up to dodge it wouldn't work, etc. I picture the scene playing out, and keep track of where each character is in the environment. If the environment is varied enough, I usually try to keep the characters moving around to interact with different pieces of it; hiding behind pillars, toppling rotted trees, etc. If you have trouble with this part, I'd recommend watching old kung-fu movies, especially Jackie Chan. Trying to keep track of all the things going on in those scenes is good practice for keeping track of all the elements in the scenes you write, I think, and they're awesome.

The second thing I focus on is clarity; it can be tough to describe complicated fights accurately. First and foremost you need to be able to see the fight in your head, though; then you can worry about describing it. You usually want to avoid being too precise, unless it would be unclear otherwise; no one needs to know the exact angle of a sword swing. Simple terms like 'upward slash,' 'parry,' etc. usually work best; the reader gets all the info they need. That's mainly to avoid pacing issues, but there are also other considerations to be made. You may be able to accurately describe a flurry of blows between two skilled fighters, but you can also just call it 'a flurry of blows' and be done with it. Deciding which attacks are worth being described, and which ones skipped over for pacing, is ultimately subjective. If you think it would look or sound cool, it's probably worth it, as long as you keep pacing in mind.

Those are really the main two; well, three. Other than that, my only advice is that if you run with the 'reader's eye is a camera' thing, you can translate typical film techniques into writing. The pan, zoom, etc. I think it's a fun exercise for improving scene visualization. I would need an example of a scene you wrote that sounds off to give more specific advice, though.

Either way, hope that helps.
    Sings we a dances of wolves, who smells fear and slays the coward,
    Sings we a dances of mans, who smells gold and slays his brother.

Ebivoulya (Level 3)

Steppe It Up (feat. Storm)
    Who You Gonna Call? (feat. Elthas)
    Low Stretches The Hand (feat. Gum)

Would you be up for me sending you the scene I'm working?

EXP: 16,803, Level: 5
    Level completed: 47%, EXP required for next level: 3,197
    Level completed: 47%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,197
    GP

Name
    Nyadir D'Var
    Race
    Half-Elf
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'3, 220lbs
    Job
    Murder-Hobo

View Profile
    That would be alright, but if you post it in this thread, you could get advice on it from other people as well.
    Sings we a dances of wolves, who smells fear and slays the coward,
    Sings we a dances of mans, who smells gold and slays his brother.

Ebivoulya (Level 3)

Steppe It Up (feat. Storm)
    Who You Gonna Call? (feat. Elthas)
    Low Stretches The Hand (feat. Gum)

Cinnamon Smol
    EXP: 11,110, Level: 4
    Level completed: 43%, EXP required for next level: 2,890
    Level completed: 43%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,890
    GP

Name
    Fennik Glenwey.
    Race
    Fae.
    Hair Color
    Light blonde.
    Eye Color
    A bright, pupil-less green.
    Build
    4'1" / 52 lb
    Job
    Picker of Pockets.

View Profile
    Yes, do post it to here if you're able! <3

Another small tip about fight scenes is that you want to avoid getting bogged down by detailing in everything during the action. Ebi touched on this when he mentioned clarity, but I wanted to add onto it.

Some of this is fairly obvious, and there's always going to be exceptions, but it's worth saying anyway. If your particular battleground calls for a detailed description of it, try to get the bulk of the describing out of the way before the action begins. If applicable, make note of anything that'll come in relevant to the battle beforehand so that you don't have to interrupt the action so much later to point it out; you can just use right away. This'll make the action flow more seamlessly.

Stick to noting the things that would be immediately noticed by your character during the action; how their adversary is acting, their physical response to the stress and adrenaline, what wounds they've accumulated and how it might hurt or hinder them, etc. Ignore anything that they wouldn't notice in the moment unless it's very important or relevant, because the audience probably won't care about it either. If they're in a heated battle, they won't pay much attention to what clothes the enemy is wearing or the crystal chandeliers above unless those details give them a tactical advantage (or unless they're as easily-distracted as I am!)

I've had to explain this a few times to people in other communities, so that's the tip that's immediately at the top of my mind. Hopefully it's helpful!
    "I’m funny, so they let me live." - Skippy's List

The Wiki Matriarch. Always free to roleplay! I also play all these guys, so take a look at them too!

CUE THEMESONGS!