Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Emerald, yellow ring around iris
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile

Kotov Syndrome

‘THWUMP’

The man fell to the floor and a final breath of air escaped cracked lips before he expired.

“Bit harsh, don’t you think Miss Red?”

Amari ignored Noel. She leaned down and rolled the dead man over. His exposed chest covered in burns and lacerations. The flesh of his upper right arm had been decayed, rotted and fetid. Amari wrinkled her nose. “You think?” She reached out and traced another line across his chest. His skin peeled apart, exposing thick ichor, already clotting. “You know I felt most of it too, right?”

Amari glanced over her shoulder at Noel - he stood dressed in similar attire to her own. Black boots, black cotton shirt. The only thing that differed from the two was his jacket, a light tanned brown. He had a small axe strapped to his back. His arms bulged as he crossed them over his chest, a disapproving look on his handsome facial features. “Aye, even so...his screams would have alerted half the Outlands.”

“That’s the point.” Amari muttered, as she searched his pockets til she found what she was looking for. A small folded map detailing the safest route through Dheathain. She glanced over it and shoved it in her own pocket. Amari stood and dusted her hands. “Perhaps the rest of them won’t fuck with us. Fuckin’ Dragon worshippers.”

“A quick death would have sufficed.” Noel muttered, approaching Amari’s side, giving the dead man a small kick to the side.

“To be honest, I’d have left well enough alone, but he wasn’t talking. Xenophobic Bastard. Now, we have a route - we have information on nearby encampments, and we know the cave where the tome is supposedly hidden.”

Noel sighed, “Remind me not to get on yer bad side. I don’t know who is worse. You or Master Ulroke.”

Amari shrugged, continuing down the forest lined path. “Master. Most likely. I’ve heard the shit he’s pulled.” She glanced over at Noel. “Unlike him, I ain’t gonna fuck off and leave my men as good as dead for my own personal agenda.”

“But you’ll poison them, burn them and and crack their bones till they die from pain?” Noel mused in a joking tone.

Amari smirked. “Something like that.” She shoved her hands into the pockets of her leather jacket. Evening was setting in fast, and soon behind it would be nightfall. Amari didn’t like travelling this far away from Salvar, especially with things being so delicate within the Crimson Hand right now. Still. She had her reasons, something this definite she just couldn’t leave. Her Master understood, and often let her have free reign. Still, Amari worried. Master Ulroke was a somewhat capable person, but she had made a promise to Madison - lately he had been more brazen, and she didn’t want him to sink into that lost darkness of the past.

“We been travelling together a while now, ey Miss Red?”

“Hmm?” Noel’s remark pulled Amari from her own wandering thoughts. “I suppose so. Why’s that?” Amari, as usual, jumped to the wrong conclusion. She turned her eyes away from him, trudging forward, quickening her pace. “If you gotta problem. Turn around and leave. I ain’t gonna fault you for it.”

“No. That’s not it. Miss Red- Red!” Amari had quickened her pace and Noel had to break into a jog to catch up to her. He placed an arm on her shoulder and forced her to turn around. “Fucking listen to me, Red!”

Amari turned, clearly confused. “What? If you ain’t gonna up and leave then what?”

“It’s the opposite.” Noel stated, shifting past her. “A few of the members have been talking, Miss Red and it’s about time you were involved in these conversations too.”

Amari turned and followed suit, “Yes.” She paused her conversation as they rounded the corner and headed deeper into the forest. A small cave emerged ahead, Amari gestured to it. “I want to damn well know what is going on within the lower ranks, but for now - let’s get settled. This book should be in the back of that cave system. We’ll discuss this tonight over a hot meal.”

Noel cracked a smile. “Damn. Can’t say no to your cooking.”

--------

They had ventured halfway into the cave before Amari began to grow dizzy, she wasn’t sure why but she felt exhausted.

“Red, are you ok?” Noel asked as he carefully trailed behind her, his arms ready to catch her if she fell.

“Mmm… let’s just...stop here…” Amari muttered as she pressed her back to the crystal imbedded wall. Sliding down till she hit the floor. There was something seriously wrong with her. Amari could barely see straight, and her breathing was ragged. Had it been something she ate?

Noel sat down next to her, he shifted his steeled gaze to to the ceiling which almost seemed to glow with a warm golden hue, it reminded him of Amari, when she was using her own energy for good, rather than serving Ulroke. “They’re beautiful, don’t you think?” Noel turned his gaze to Amari. “Miss Red?”

Amari was unconscious, her eyes half lidded and glazed, the normal golden sheen around her irises seemed to flicker. “RED!?” Noel shook her frantically but she was unresponsive, “RED? Shit...RED?” He checked to see if she was breathing, she was… but it was shallow. “Fuck…just...just stay here.” He grabbed the map from her cold form. “I’ll get help.”

EXP: 24,798, Level: 6
    Level completed: 69%, EXP required for next level: 2,202
    Level completed: 69%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,202
    GP

Name
    Taka
    Race
    Akashiman (Human)
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Job
    Samurai (Ronin)

View Profile
    “I see the more things change the more they stay the same,” The words hung in the air as a stark accusation towards another. Even as their owner moved through the crowds.

“Tsukai, it was not in your best interest-”

“General, I do not tell you how to fight, I would appreciate if you refrain from trying to explain economics to me. Especially since you grew up without knowledge of currency until you took your first post,” The words held a bit of a haughty tone. The woman who spoke them had an expression not unlike smelling curdled milk as she delivered the carefully rehearsed riposte.

The warrior trailing behind her wore a white porcelain mask. While in the humid temperatures this would be seen as a burden, it was a boon in social situations where it hid the scowl that would have given the woman the information she had hit hard. His response held careful restraint, “Tsukai, we are here as body guards. A night meeting in the jungle is exactly the sort of thing I am supposed to deter.”

“Erikson is as capable of not more so at night, are you saying it is because you can not fight in the dark?” a gloved hand gently moved red tresses back behind an ear. The soft chime of trinkets and fetishes in her hair underlined the tribal aspect of the woman, who stood before him in a wrap about her bosom and a loincloth. Her staff steadily struck the ground, causing the fetishes hanging from the gnarled branches to chime in time to her hair.

The masked warrior bristled at the dressdown before he spoke, “I do this mission as a favor to you, and you have taken every opportunity to malign me. If you didn’t want me here you could have just said so.”

“Considering you still refer to me as ‘Witch’ and I know your country’s disdain for them, I could say why did you agree to this if you dislike me so much?”

The two stared each other down for what seemed like an eternity. That was until a man in dark clothes nearly knocked over the red headed woman. A gauntlet clad hand roughly grabbed the man by the back of his shirt and slammed him into the nearby wall, giving a vent to Taka’s frustration as he hissed from behind his mask, “Apologize to the Lady.”

“Mercenaries right?” The man spoke in a strained voice, “I don't have time for this ! My friend is dying! Please, tell me where I can find a healer!”

Taka turned his gaze to the Woman he was with before he spoke, “She knows how to heal and yes, I am a mercenary. Apologize to the Lady and you might get what you seek.”

The Witch looked back at Taka before she spoke, “Release him Taka, he won’t be of much help if he’s struggling to breathe.”

The Ronin let out an irritated grunt before his hands left the form of the man. The Dark Blade noticed he was armed with hand axes and seemed more built than a normal huntsman, that suggested a warrior. He moved to partially block access to his charge before he spoke tersely, “Speak.”

“A redheaded woman has fallen unconscious in the crystal cave,” he pointed toward the direction he came speeding from. “She's safely lying inside but her breathing is shallow and unresponsive, I don't…” his rough demeanor broke, “I dont… know what's wrong, please help her. Please? I'll ensure your pockets are filled with gold.”

The woman stepped forward and spoke, “Do you know of anything that could have caused it, was there an odd plant, or perhaps something she ate? Before I can just say I know how to help I need to know what could have caused it. If it was something in the air sending my bodyguard into there could result in me losing him as well.”

“Lady Aislinn, you cannot go, you have your deal to attend to. Take Erikson and my other men with you, they will be enough of a deterrent. I will go and bring the woman here, so you can look her over. I won’t be long,” The ronin offered.

“That still doesn’t answer the why, I agree with you Taka, but I refuse to send you off to the same fate without a clue if it can be avoided.”

The man lowered his gaze and his fisfs clenched, he looked as though he could punch through a tree. “I don't know.” He seethed through clenched teeth, “we've walked the same path, eaten the same food. She's … she's so powerful I don't understand, she started to sway within the cave then she lost consciousness. I feel fine. Is...Do you think something invisible is attacking her?”

Aislinn looked at the man before she spoke, “Taka go with him, recover the girl and I’ll see about getting what I need to be able to restore her. We’ll be fine without you.”

Taka nodded before he looked at the man and leaned forward, encroaching in his space, “Lead ahead, but be warned, I will not tolerate betrayal.”
    How something is said, is just as important as what is said. -Anonymous

EXP: 38,655, Level: 8
    Level completed: 41%, EXP required for next level: 5,345
    Level completed: 41%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,345
    GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Noel lead them through the forest and toward the crystal filled cave, he wanted nothing to do with the man he wanted to save her himself but desperate times called for desperate measures. They paused at the entrance to the unassuming cave. “She's in here,” he said as he sprinted through the cave without warning; veering left then right, down a slope and right again. As they turned a corner the light from the crystals lit up the room in a dazzling Golden glow, and there, on the ground, lay Amari.

“Red…” Noel breathed as he collapsed to his knees by he side, he gingerly picked up her hand and squeezed it tightly. “Red I got us some help but you have to get up.” Her hand was like ice. She wasn’t reacting to his presence nor his words. “Dammit…” Noel shot his gaze up toward the Ronin. “She has the ability to rejuvenate or revive herself… but it’s not working. I don’t...I can’t - I can’t do this without her.”

The Ronin moved to Amari’s aide before he spoke, “I should have known if someone was causing trouble around here it was you. Red.” The words held an attempt at wry humor as he carefully reached out to the woman.

Noel shot the man a glare. “She wasn’t! She was just-” He stopped himself, unsure if he should continue. “I’m sorry...She’s seeking a book with her origin. It’s in here and it means everything to her. I’m her aid.” Noel glanced back down at her. “I was supposed to ensure her safety…it was all going so well, the brilliant shine of the crystals, her success…” His brows furrowed as salty tears dripped onto her unmoving body. “So why…”

“You said she was here for a book?” The masked warrior asked before he looked at the unconscious woman, “You also said she didn’t feel sick until she got to here?” He looked around as if seeking answers.

Noel, no longer fueled by a blind panic noded. “You know her right?” He gave a dejected laugh. “She’ll punish me for this. She’s looking for an Ar’Tuel book; one she had supposedly written a millenia ago. We’ve been tracking its location to here. We were told the cave was dangerous, but you and I are fine. So why her?”

“I do not know, when it comes to souls and spirits the Tsukai is my superior. I do know this much, if we want to save her, keeping her here is not an option. We can bring her to the mouth

“You can carry her right?” Noel stood, wiping his eyes. “Please. Take her to the mouth, I am going to go find the book. She’ll wake up, and she’ll have the one thing she’s been searching for, for as long as I’ve known her.” Noel forced a smile on his tired features, “I think she may actually genuinely smile. Can you do this?”

The ronin looked at the man before he spoke, “It might be dangerous, if it’s affecting her here there is no telling the traps that may await. Better we either both go, or wait for her to wake up before anyone goes.”

Noel shook his head. “My life is contracted to her; I may not look it, but I can best most traps, let me do this. Take her.” He gave the ronin a curt nod and a stern warning. “If I find you, or your men have done anything to her - I’ll ensure the wrath of our entire organisation will fall upon you.” With that, he turned and pushed on further in the cave. Not giving the man a chance to deny him any further.

GP

Name
    Taka
    Race
    Akashiman (Human)
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Job
    Samurai (Ronin)

View Profile
    Taka watched the man run off as he shook his head slowly. He softly muttered to himself, “There goes the world’s most foolish man.”

Picking up the fallen form of Red he carefully carried her out of the cave before resting her against a tree outside. He had never seen the woman so calm, but then again he had not much experience with the woman. His eyes checked her over for any kind of injury before he gently patted her cheek with a gauntlet clad hand, “Red, you’re needed, wake up.”

Much as he expected, she remained resolutely silent. He sighed, shaking his head before he muttered in Akashiman, “<I fear you may be the death of me some day.>” He looked about the area looking for any signs of predators or people watching. He then sat down in a meditative pose and closed his eyes, waiting. He took slow careful breathes, and carefully listened to the world around him.

Perhaps Little Falcon, I get to see and Ar’Tuel die after all. So pathetic, how much she clings to her form, as if it held any power for her. The body is a liability, and her soul suffers for being so constricted.

Taka heard the words as belonging to the oni within, the candid comments of a being that sought to corrupt the ronin and consume his soul. Usually, he ignored such words, but today he was already on edge from dealing with Aislinn and further by the situation with Red.

Leave me be, beast.

A nerve, perhaps you lust for her? Or do you care? Do I sense a budding romance? The words were full of mirth, a taunt that got under the ronin’s skin.

Silence, what do you know of such things?

There is a way...I can undo all the damage she suffered. All it would take, is a name.

The offer hung in the air as Taka opened his eyes, realizing he would not be able to meditate, not currently. He looked at the girl, and noticed the strands of white hair, coiled along her wrist. His breath hitched at the spying of the ornament before he closed his eyes once more.

She is a spirit of Life, I am a spirit of destruction. It would be difficult, but I can create, only by obeying my nature. Give me someone, anyone with which to craft life with, and I will rend their soul asunder.. With the energy such a reaping would sow, I would be able to awaken your precious Red. I merely need a name and a victim, and you can have her back…

You have a name, Sen no Oni-

That name is weak, I desire more. I desire a name you don’t even use. Give me the Benjiro name-

Never!

Red drew a deep, rasped breath. Her eyes flickered. Whatever ailed her seemed to have weakened, but she was still in such a poor state, barely registering where she was, she struggled to speak, and when she did; it was in a language unlike her own. She spoke in words he didn’t understand. <”Where...am….I?”> Her words, velveteen and spoken in a rhythm that could be mistaken for a song faded into silence as her eyes dulled and her breathing stopped.

Taka moved to be next to the woman before he felt something oily and blackened slip past his tongue. The tone was dark and rough, but held common as its home, “You are on the precipice of life and death little Ar’Tuel. I told you I would watch you die.”

Taka back peddled from the girl as a gauntlet clad hand went to his lips. The oni laughed through them before it spoke, “Yes Ronin, you too are ready to fall. Not yet, but soon if you give me the Benjiro name, I’ll let you have your body back, I will not need it. The name will give me form.”

Taka breathed heavily as he bit his tongue, trying hard to prevent any further words from escaping his lips

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Her Physical body had died, not uncommon for the woman. She had experienced death before, but unlike this. Unseen to the naked eye she lay, in her true form next to the deceased meat sack that was her home. Her body was normally aglow in a brilliant golden hue, now it was lackluster. Her nude form was blackened just as much as her physical body, her red hair hanging limp at her hips as she struggled to push herself up off the ground.

<”Taka?”> She saw him, a few feet away from her, he held a hand to his mouth and his uncovered eye was wide with fear. <”Taka...the crystals, I think it was…”> Her head hung low, she barely had the energy, she wasn’t sure if he could see her in this form, but she had to try. <”They were killing...me, I just…”> Her ethereal form slumped to the grass, <”Rest…”> She closed her golden orbed eyes. When was the last time the grass felt this good? Or the air this fragrant? Amari breathed in deep, relishing in the sensations of the wild. Parts of her blackened soul seemed to lift, and pull away from her.

The ronin seemed to look about his eye darting this way and that as blackened drops of what looked like blood left the underside of his mask. He convulsed in what appeared to be fear as he reigned in his emotions, slowly the eye returning to a more neutral state.

Noel emerged from the cavern, holding an unassuming wooden bound journal in his hands, seeing the ronin and Amari. He waved them down. “Got it.” He approached the two pointing to the book. “Look, she has this birthmark on her back, I had a look through it, but it seems to be in a different language.” He paused when he got to Amari.

“Is...is she….” His words caught in his mouth and the book toppled to the floor. “R-Red?” He fell to his knees, shaking hands reaching out to check if she was breathing. “Red? RED?” He picked her up by her shoulders and began shaking her. “Wake up. You promised me! You promised me you’d tell me your real name! You promised we’d get through this! Wake up, wake up!”

The ronin rose and moved to the body, before he knelt. His voice was hoarse, as if he had been screaming for a long time, “No Red, not like this, you were a warrior, not a victim. Come back.”

Noel quickly ripped off her jacket then her shirt, not caring what the Ronin saw. “It’s ok Red. It’s going to be ok.” He flipped her onto her stomach, revealing her intricate birthmark; a swirl of patterns and shapes within shapes. Noel quickly drew his thumb across the blade of his axe and pressed his bloodied appendage to her mark. “This always brings you back. It has to work this time.”

Amari’s body was still, and it made Noel nervous. “T-There’s normally a blinding flash, but...it’s not… why isn’t it coming?” He was right, the blood magic generally forced her ethereal form into her body but with both so weak the process was slower than usual. “Red...please.”

Her body jolted, golden and red sparks erupted from her as she drew in a sharp breath. It had worked...somewhat. If Amari could have, she would have begged him to let her rest, to let her leave her physical body, but she couldn’t - and now she was back inside it with no strength to leave on her own accord. Amari wasn’t sure, but she had the feeling that being outside of her physical body would have quickened her recovery process. “N-Noel?”

“Yes!” Noel gripped her hand, ignoring the ronin who loomed over them. “I’m here Red. I’m here.”

“A-Amari.” She said weakly as she closed her eyes.

Noel laughed with relief as he pressed his head into the grass next to hers. “That sounds much better than Red, I can’t believe Master Ulroke stripped you of such a name. C’mon, let’s get you home.”

“I’m….dying…” Amari breathed, her words stilled Noel. “My soul….is on fire.”

Taka moved to Amari’s side, “We need to get you back to the city, fast. Can you hold on a little longer? I will carry you, there may be someone who can help…”

“T-Taka?” Amari struggled to lift her arm, to show him her wrist.

“I am here,” He said softly. More blackened blood spilled down the front of his kimono before he looked at Noel, “Help me lift her we need to get her to the Tsukai, she may know how to undo what has been done.”

Noel shot Taka a glare, clearly jealous. “Fine.” He picked up the book and hefted Amari over his shoulder. “I”ll carry her.”

Amari was powerless to resist, she reached and her hands weakly streaked across the black that dripped. “Why?” She asked

GP

Name
    Taka
    Race
    Akashiman (Human)
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Job
    Samurai (Ronin)

View Profile
    “I sinned,” Was the reply. He drew Rengoku from its sheath and pointed back towards the city, “I’ll cut you the path if you insist on carrying her. We don’t have time to argue, we cut straight to the city as much as possible, and we might be able to rescue her. Am I clear?”

“Fine,” Noel spat. Gripping the topless woman tighter, “let's just go.”

Taka moved forward, using his Katana to cut through the brush. He knew he was being a disgrace to his family by using such an important weapon as such a crude implement. He didn’t care, he only wished to see Red returned to full spirits. He contemplated the news of her new name, Amari.

It seemed the more he heard about the leader of the Crimson Hand the greater his desire to cut him down.

Yes, Desire, Fear, Regret, feed me your sins Ronin. I have not feasted on these in awhile…

Taka scraped his teeth along the bite on his tongue forcing more blood as he used it to keep focus on the reality about him, rather than listen to the oni’s banter. His emotions seeing him cleave through things even his blade should not have. He stopped heaving from the exertion he poured out in saving the woman before a hand gripped the bandages about his arms and he tore. The arm had been clear of any blemishes, but even now he could see the darkness of the oni’s corruptive influence move along his veins.

You called upon my strength in the hopes of saving her, and this is your price. When you have nothing but darkened skin my control of you is complete. But as you can probably guess, the more I blot out, the more of you I control…

He could feel Noel behind him impatient to get moving. The ronin looking back at Amari before he took a steadying breath and moved forward once more. His cuts were more measured, but he knew now that the oni had tricked him. It had used his fear for her life and desire to see her safe to control his emotions. He was fast losing the battle.

Finally he could see the city. He paused leaning against a tree before he managed, “Go, I’ll catch up with you. The Tsukai is at the fire’s breath tavern. Tell her Taka succeeded. That will be all you need.”

“You alright?” Despite Noel's distaste for Taka he was still showing concern. “Amari won't forgive me if I left you here too.” Noel lowered his body , “get on my other shoulder.”

“Go! You have no time. I’ll be fine,” Taka spat, the venom in his voice threatening to overtake him, “I’ll go soon enough. Just go!”

Noel shrugged as he repositioned Amari and turned to leave. Ignoring Amari as she tried to wriggle out of his grip. “N-no, no! Take. Taka.”

“Amari I'm the one here for you.”

Taka moved to Amari’s side before he spoke, “I’m not out of the fight yet, I need time to regain myself. Go with Noel and get to the Tsukai, I refuse to let this be for nothing.”

With that, Noel left Taka to his own devices as he continued on to the city.

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    Noel had arrived and met with a group of men who seemed less than happy to see Amari, he explained the situation and assured them Taka was on his way.

Now they sat in an inn, with two of the men going off to find the Ronin. He was with the woman, adorned in various jewellery. She was gorgeous, fiery red hair and ice blue eyes. Noel had to admit he must have a thing for redheads, lusty thoughts aside he wanted meow than anything for Amari to be ok

“She's an Ar’Tuel, she fainted in a cave filled with these.” He pulled a few of the crystals from his pocket. “The man said you could help “

“Ghyran says she is important,“ She answered stiffly. She looked at the offered crystals before her eyes went wide, “Get those away from her you’re killing her! That’s Magacite, it’s draining her dry of energy…”

Noel stepped back, shoving the rocks back away. “I didn't know...So...She's not sick just weak? Will she be ok?”

Amari groaned on the bed. Trying to sit in an attempt to calm Noel down. “F-fine..I'm….fine…” she breathed, even as she spoke she doubted her own words .

“Ghyran tells me you are one of his children, a favorite of his. He needs a sacrifice on my part to help you, and I’m willing to do the favor to my patron. However, he also wishes me to tell you must sort out who’s child you will be. He tires of your constant back and forth, and he will not tolerate another Castiel. Either chose Ghyran or Shyish, you cannot have it both ways…” The witch explained. She then reached up into her hair. A green jade stone was pulled from her hair with a practiced ease as she gripped it in her only hand, she then looked at the woman and spoke, “One day you can find me in Radasanth and return it to me, until then do not remove this rock, no matter how inconvenient.” She then used her hand to weave it into Amari’s hair.

“Gheyan? What..Who ….castiel …?” The name sounded oddly familiar. “I don't...Understand ….” Amari shut her eyes allowing the woman to weave the stone into her hair.

“If you need a sacrifice let me be it.” Noel interjected .

The woman gave a baleful look at Noel before she spoke, “Do not offer things to beings you do not understand. Ghyran needs to form a connection to her, because she has cut herself off. The rock is all that is necessary, but that means I must cut myself off from Ghyran in order to let her live. I will be repaid for my kindness.”

Her tone softened as she looked at Amari, “Amari, I cannot answer your questions. Ghyran only gives me the words, not their meaning. I have no clue about you or your race, but the breath of life wished to speak through me.”

Amari grimaced, she didn't understand the woman's words, but she had the feeling that she was sacrificing something important to her. At one time, Amari wouldn't have cared she didn't know the woman. So why bother? Yet now, she felt an overwhelming sensation of regret. “S-sorry…” Amari reached out to her, “ sorry .” The redheaded woman was near delirious “I’m so sorry.”.

The woman spoke, “Rest. today is not your day to die. Shyish claims no one this night…” The Witch then carefully placed her hand to Amari’s forehead and sighed, the hand glowing with a faint white light that resonated with the jade stone. “There, I have lost touch with Ghyran, but maybe it will talk with you for now.”

Amari felt herself slip into unconscious, there was a familiarity about the warmth she felt. It was welcoming, comforting . Feelings that were so nostalgic yet so foreign. “Where am I ….” A vision of a lush forest appeared before her, beings of gold traversed the land, their faces blurred. Was this… was she home?

She was soon surrounded by them, before they cleared, each one a copy of her, “Welcome home Amari. You have been gone for so long.”

“Gone where? Where is this place? Where's Noel? Is Taka ok?” Amari glanced down at her blackened hands, the darkness was ever so slowly flaking off, revealing a golden glow beneath. “W-whats happening to me?”

“You chose death, where once you would have chosen life Amari. We feared Castiel’s influence would force you down his path, and make you a child of death. The darkness is the mark of Shyish upon his children, had you continued your path, you would have lost everything you were, and become a reaver of souls,” The spirits explained, “This is the glade of life, where you were born. We are a part of the Althayne, yet separate. This is not a mortal realm, they remain in the firmament, where they belong.”

“I...I can't stay here…” Amari whispered. She was concerned, they had just left Taka stranded in the forest and despite him promising her he was alright, something told her he wasn’t. Then there was the redheaded woman, and Noel...everything seemed so far away. Amari struggled with the new information, and the whirlwind that tugged at her consciousness. “I'm … I can't control what I am or what I do…”

Meanwhile Noel was pacing the floor, he could see the black flaking away. But he could also see her struggling . “What's happening to her?”

“A prodigal daughter returns home,” The witch responded cryptically. Signalling for him to calm down and watch Amari.

The darkness continued to flake off of Amari’s skin, it danced in the wind like ash before burning off into plumes of smoke. “Where am I?” She breathed, entranced with the effect the place was having on her body.

“You still belong with us despite the misery and pain you sowed. When Aislinn connected us to you we brought you into the fold, so we might lend you our strength,” a golden Amari said. She then moved up to the corrupted woman and gently touched her golden skin, “We missed you, you used to tell us stories of the Firmament, and the heroes you met.”

Amari shied away, “I don't...Remember any of this…I can’t stay here, someone I know is hurt...”

GP

Name
    Taka
    Race
    Akashiman (Human)
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Job
    Samurai (Ronin)

View Profile
    Pain.

Seth Dahlios had once told him Pain was the only universal truth. He misunderstood what wisdom had been imparted. He punched the bark of the tree, feeling the broken bones in his hand explode into a symphony of pain. Blackened blood dripped from the skin, showing the taint for all to see.

Pain brought clarity, an explosion of emotions and feelings that illuminated the Oni and it's influence. He focused on the pain and used it to reach a more calmed state. He hissed as he closed his eyes and focused on what he was feeling, on what he knew was true.

You're stalling. Eventually you won't be able to force me out, and then you will kill all of your allies. If you give me the Benjiro name, I will let you pick which ones I will let you keep. I will even force them to serve you. Even the Ar’Tuel. Imagine it, that red headed shell all yours…

His hand punched again as the pain blossomed in his head. The pain was immune to such trivialities as passion or emotion. He gurgled out a cry of pain before he punched with his other fist. The fresher hand only scraped, making his hand also bleed onyx gems upon the jungle floor.

The name Little Falcon. You cannot hope to resist me forever. You've given in too much. Soon I'll be a perfect master for you, and you can huddle in the corner and cry. Like you always do after you do what's necessary. First it was Sachiko, now you lose out on Amari. You needn't lose more like a fool.

“Yu, Meyo, Chugi, Makoto, Rei, Gi, Jin,” he muttered. Another punch into the tree. Pain blossomed in the hand.

The oni laughed, Recite the code? That's really your trump card. You hope saying it enough will make you less of a hypocrite?

The Ronin remained silent, and punched the tree again.

Let's go down the old list, shall we? Courage, you certainly didn't have any when you ignored the nice safe path and ran straight through the jungle because you were afraid the flesh sack of a diseased angel might expire. Then there's Honor, it's certainly not honorable to use your Katana as a means to clear jungle before you.

Sincerity you had in spades, even if you didn't really means all the words you said. Duty, oh my, you didn't even finish your job, you ran from protecting Aislinn to this job then sent the most inept person you had to finish your task. Is it really all your work?

Give in Little Falcon. She is safe and now it's time to pay the price.

“Yu, Rei, Meyo, Makoto, Chugi, Jin, Gi…”

GP

Name
    Amari Ciel L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel Soul; Human Body
    Hair Color
    Dark Crimson
    Eye Color
    Job
    Crimson Hand 2IC

View Profile
    “If you leave, we may not be able to meet again, Amari.”

“I don’t care!” Amari snapped, “I need to go.”

The other versions of herself, brilliant and golden gave each other worried glances. “Your actions are fuelled by worry for a friend, focus on that, and not your anger Amari.”

And with that, the golden, nostalgic world faded away.

The room filled with a blinding light; the occupants and to shield their eyes, as it dimmed down Amari sat on the bed, sweat dripping from her forehead. Her body and soul had been stripped of the corruption that wore away at her.

“Amari!” Noel rushed to her aid, dabbing her forehead. “Look at you, it’s just like that time in Ettemire; your skin is unmarred again.”

Amari glanced down at herself, he was right. There seemed to be no signs of corruption; even the hairline fractures had faded from her body. “But….how?”

“You chose life Amari. We will meet in time, I will see what I can find out. However, you have pressing issues don't you?” Aislinn replied.

“...Y-yeah.” Amari said, she pushed herself off the bed. “Noel, we need to go back to Taka.”

“What? You just got up, he said he was fine.”

“That’s an order!” Amari snapped with rekindled energy and a sense of authority. “You can stay here, or accompany me, but I’m going. I owe it to him, as do you.”

Noel grumbled but relented. “Yes, Miss Amari.” Throughout the ordeal, he almost forgot she was still his superior. Despite his feelings for her, he was honour bound to do as she asked.

“Amari, you may find Taka's body, but be careful who inhabits it. It lies in wait, and a pure soul, is a tempting prey,” Aislinn warned.

“Yeh, yeh.” Amari said dismissively. “I’ll worry about myself later.” She went to head out the door, but paused, her hand on the wooden frame. “Thank you.” With that, she lead Noel out of the room, downstairs and past his men who were restless and once again had nothing nice to say about Amari as she left the inn. “Bastards.” Amari muttered.

“They… don’t seem to like you, what did you do to them?” Noel asked as they hastily made their way back out of the town.

Amari shrugged, “Who knows, right now I don’t really give a damn.”

“But you do about Taka?” Noel inquired.

“All I know, Noel, is that I owe him my life.”

Noel nodded and the two continued in silence till they saw the familiar white haired ronin hunched by a tree. Amari quickly broached the gap between them. “Taka?” She stood to his side. “Taka, did you need us to take you back to town?”

A wet slap of flesh on wood could be heard as his voice rumbled, speaking seven words in his native tongue before going silent once more. He seemed oblivious to the world around him, his blade left sticking out of the ground behind him.

Amari placed a hand on his shoulder, jostling him. “Taka.” Her voice held concern for the man, she knew the outbursts he had, in a way, the two were very similar. “Can you hear me?”

“The little Falcon is not home anymore. He helped his nightingale escape, and was consumed in turn…” The voice held a tone of mirth and mockery, even as with a grin he punched the tree, “Pain gave him a few more moments of freedom, but his desire consumed him.”

“Noel.” Amari said, her voice stern. “Keep your distance.” She attempted to flare out the tentacles from her body, but none came. With her no longer corrupted there was nothing to feed the corrupted energy. Amari pursed her lips, changing tactics. “He’s still there.” Amari said.

“Of course, I need his soul for barter. But the body…” the broken hand reach up to the mask before removing it, revealing a pure black face underneath. Both eyes were a pale white, even as he seemed to lose no vision from such a deformity, “I shall toy with you both. I shall use you as a bargaining chip until he names me… Until that time he shall be a useful puppet.”

“Me? Why Me? Amari whipped Taka’s body around and pressed it up against the tree. “Like hell he’d let you do such a thing,” Amari gripped his shoulders. “What was it you said? I was too corrupted to heal? How confident are you in that now?”

“We are as one Amari, you have no clue the pain severing me from his soul will cause him, are you sure you wouldn't give me your name? A strong one such as that would allow me to remove myself from your Ronin. Then you can use him as you wish…”

Amari faltered, as the creature said it’d cause Taka pain. She didn’t want to injure him, she didn’t want him to suffer any more than he already had. Amari lowered her head, “I don’t want him hurt…” The demon within the ronin laughed, and Amari, despite the wishes of the redheaded witch, began to slip back into her anger fueled ways.

“My Ronin? My Name? What the hell are you on about?” She spat. Gripping him tighter. “Who said I was going to sever the connection?” Her hands were lit ablaze in gold, a light that was seen even in the midst of the day. “I just have to lower your influence over him, right? Send you back to the dark recess of his mind where you belong?”

“I am where I belong. He paid the price to save you, would you shame him in not honoring the deal he made? If I got a name though, I could be persuaded to give him back,” He leered at her his voice taking on a mocking tone, “What will it be Angel? Which of you gets heaven, and which hell? Decide.”

Amari’s hands were shaking, she took a few deep breaths trying to control her temper, her words came out slow and calculated, as though she were considering it. Amari rarely used her name, what did it matter if a beast took it? She was far more used to Red, or Scarlet. “What does it mean to give you a name? Why mine? How would I do it?”

The form of the Ronin twisted into a vile grin as he answered, “Names hold power. When the Name is of an old line, or of an old soul...I gain the power of those lives. His name would strengthen me and give me form. Yours, would let me open the Gates. Giving up a soul to gain the ability to bring this pathetic realm into Jigoku is a small price to pay spirit. Just tell me my new name, and give me your blood, and the pact is sealed.”

“So I’d save him….” Amari trailed off, something didn’t seem right. If the demon had her name, her soul, he’d only use it to further his own gain. “I’d save him... only to have him dragged to Jigoku? Fuck that.” Amari’s hands burned with energy and finally, the tentacles, aglow with the pure light of her untainted soul emerged from her back, landing squarely into his chest once more. “This bothered you last time, lets see what happens now I’m free of corruption. Oni.”

The head of the Oni possessed Ronin tilted back before a howl of agony tore through the jungle. Hands tried vainly to touch the tentacles, before they moved to towards her neck. The darkness began to unravel from Taka's form, moving back towards his spine, slowly reversing its course. The Ronin slumped against Amari, unable to stand anymore as the cleansing burned through him.

Amari was equally as affected, she trembled and buckled. Held up by the tight grip the ronin had on her neck. Lightning fractures of darkness shattered across her skin as she absorbed his corruption. The two slumped to the ground, Amari knew she wasn’t done but she couldn’t handle it, the light faded just as quickly as it had erupted from her body leaving her with blackened fingers and palms. Breathing heavily she spoke, hoping that it was no longer the Oni, she hadn’t the energy to attempt such a feat again. “T-Taka?”

“I believe so,” the words were soft, and weak. He remained leaning against her as he whispered, “I see you are well. I'm glad.”

“Y-yeh…” Amari breathed, pulling his hand away from her throat. “What about you?”

“I've seen worse…” he rolled onto his back looking up at the sky as he regained his strength, “Sorry for choking you, I seem to always hurt you when that thing takes over…”

“I’ve been through worse.” Amari responded in turn. “There’s not much it can do that I haven’t already been through. “I tried to send him away, your honour be damned.”

“Is that what he said? Oni lie, I never chose the darkness, it-” he stopped and closed his eyes, “It manipulated my emotions to make me draw upon his strength. I never consciously chose evil.”

“I don’t think anyone does, Taka.” Amari sat upright and ran a hand through her hair, pausing as it passed over the Jade stone. She fiddled with it, “Your lady friend put a stone in my hair, and helped me, if it weren’t for either of you - I think I may have either died permanently, or become fully corrupted. So... thanks.”

GP

Name
    Taka
    Race
    Akashiman (Human)
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Job
    Samurai (Ronin)

View Profile
    The Ronin looked up at the sky as he felt a calm not experienced in years. He closed his eyes relaxing and hearing the noises of the jungle. He took it all in, no longer distracted by the invasive thoughts of an oni. He finally opened his eyes and grabbed the mask, carefully placing it upon his face.

Finally he spoke up, “When it comes to saving a life, there are none better than the Tsukai. However, she is highly unreliable and ill fit for social situations.”

It was the first time he had ever told another the surface opinion he had of the scarlet witch. A liberating feeling even as he began to sit up, “I believe we've had enough dalliance, shall we leave?”

Amari nodded and tried to stand, but crumpled to the floor. At this, Noel rushed forward and shoved Taka out of the way. “Amari what did you do? What the hell was all of that?” He pointed an accusing finger toward Taka. “That man had you by the damn throat, and now you’re all buddy buddy?” His frustration was clear, “Please tell me, because I almost lost you today, and be damned if it’s going to happen again just because you seem to have a thing for silver haired devils.”

Noel turned to Taka and gripped him by his loose robes. “You’re lucky I don’t pummel your head into the ground. She JUST got better, instead of resting she runs off to see you? What’s so fuckin’ great about you?”

“Noel, stop.” Amari pleaded.

Noel ignored her, he drew back a fist and slammed it into Taka’s mask. “I’ve had to stand by her side! I’ve had to watch her slowly become an angry shell of a woman! I tried so hard to redeem her, only to have her walk around proud of the monster she is! And you! YOU! You waltz into her life and think you can topple that?”

“Noel stop! I’ve never seen you like this, please!”

Her guardian either didn’t hear her words, or dismissed them. “You think you can redeem that redheaded monster? You think YOU have the ability to fix her? That’s MY job! MINE!”

Taka rocked from the punch and to his credit did not strike back. Noel seemed to rear up for another one and threw the blow only to find his fist slap into the Ronin's palm. He spoke, his voice a rasp, “He who speaks in rash violence makes his anger known, and words forgotten.”

“SHUT UP!” Noel spat, “Don’t talk like you know me! Like you know her!” He drew his second hand back in an attempt to land another hit on Taka, and again, it was caught in the palm of a hand. “Who the HELL do you think you ARE?”

“A soul, just like you, though more like her. A soul, that sees the pain in others and wishes to end it,” the Dark Blade let the man’s hands go before he spoke, “I have let you attack me three times, do not mistake my compassion for an inability to fight.”

Taka looked to Amari before he spoke, “You care deeply for her, yet here you are defying her. Stop for a second and think of your actions. This does nothing, proves nothing. Please, stop.”

Noel punched the ground by Taka, swearing as he climbed off the man. “Amari, let’s go - we have the book. We don’t need a monster like him.”

Noel turned and reached out to Amari, “C’mon. We gotta go.”

Amari shook her head, “Noel, we need to escort Taka back to the inn, I gave them my word.”

Taka looked carefully drew himself up, and gripped the hilt of Rengoku. The blade came from the dirt effortlessly as he said softly, “I apologize little one, I was lost. Thank you for limiting the damage that could be done.”

The blade was nicked and bent. It would not go back into its sheath, even if Taka wanted to. He would need to see a blacksmith to mend the blade. His eyes took on a softer look, one that spoke of a muted sadness. He reached to his waist and pulled a cloth, slowly trying to wipe the detritus of the jungle from his blade.with a sigh he realized the truth of the matter and merely looked upon the two, “Let us go. I feel this night needs to end, for all our sakes.”

Amari pushed herself up on shaky legs, Noel caught her but not before whispering a final threat to Taka. “She’s already corrupted because of you. Don’t think I will let that slide.”

With that, Noel lead a fatigued Amari back toward the inn. Leaving Taka in his wake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast