Hair Color
    Dark Brown and Gray
    Eye Color
    Piercing Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Smith

Artemis looked upon Elijah, unsure what to feel for the man. The tendency to see the world in black and white struck a familiar chord with the ranger, and much of his life tended to be an ongoing struggle with finding a balanced gray in between. Unfortunately, his instincts didn’t make that easy. The surety of Elijah’s words, and his claims to know the truth of the past and the source of the direwolves, admittedly surprised Artemis. So much of his experience had left him doubting so much of what he thought he knew.

The strangeness only felt exacerbated by the fact that Elijah had warned of the dangers of Salvar, especially after nearly dying by their influence. Not to mention how much time the ranger spent wandering its vast reaches. His steps had led him to every corner of the northern region, and he would be surprised if the mage could say the same.

“I’ve come across all sorts of beasts in these lands, and beyond . . .” Artemis began, dropping his gaze to the comforting blue and green flames once more. “I have been surprised by what lives out there, wondering how they survive, where they come from, but most of all, what to do about it.” He sighed heavily, closing his eyes as his hand once more found its way to his bracer. “Truth be told, though I’m not a man of faith, it is hard to know when to stay my blade and when to strike out. As I’ve looked upon the direwolves I’ve crossed paths with, and many others, their inclination toward evil is not as deep as you might think.”

“Not evil, per se. Only free thinking beings like us can be called evil. Direwolves act according to their nature. They simply do not fit into the natural order. Then again, the same can be said of many things.” Eli’s gaze looked right past Artemis, past the small cave they were in, as though seeing something many miles away. “Feels like the world is full of monsters sometimes, doesn’t it?”

“Aren’t you and I monsters as well?” Artemis couldn’t help but smile as listened to the mage. “I’ve learned to accept that no matter my intentions or actions, to someone, somewhere, I’m no better than those direwolves.”

“I used to think so. Gods know I've left my share of havoc in my path over the years, despite good intentions. But... I like to think I've grown wiser...” He chuckled. “Not wise enough to travel more safely in the winter, mind you, but wise enough to look back and see how I made conscious choices that led me down dark paths. We're not mere beasts, acting on our natures.”

“I’d like to think the same, but I’m not as sure as you.” Artemis sighed again, rubbing the bridge of his nose as he opened his eyes. “Over the years I’ve gained so much. In power, in ability, in awareness, and in experience. I can’t say I’ve gained so much surety. I do what I feel is right in the moment, as I said. Looking back, it’s hard to measure. Maybe my mistake was saving you from those direwolves, or maybe the mistake was in letting them live. The best I can do is make a choice in the moment and not dwell. Time will tell,” Artemis laughed before looking back at the mage. “This person you’re searching for . . . perhaps I can help. I have certain . . . talents in tracking, to say the least.”

“Yes, well, as far as moral philosophy, I prefer a code of ethics that involves me always surviving. In any case...” He hesitated a moment, settling his gaze firmly on Artemis. “Again, I must be cautious, but you didn't try to murder me in my sleep, so I suppose I can tell you a little bit. My... query has been gone for a long time. He's crafty and... powerful. More so than me, I'd wager. Tracking him down when he doesn't wish to be found is nearly impossible.”

“And yet, here you are, trying anyway.”

“Nearly impossible. I spent months and a small fortune to acquire this.” He held out the vial, filled with a thick red liquid.

“Fair guess is blood?” Artemis asked with a nod.

“You know your thaumaturgy? It’s not my strong suit, but I’m a quick study.” He gave a sly grin. “Don’t ask me where I got it.”

“Not a question I want an answer to. As for thaumaturgy, I was born into it - quite literally. Still, just a guess. I might be able to use it to scan the region. I may not be able to find him, but with enough time and a general area, I can find some points of interest. That is, assuming he has protection against my sort of magic, which isn’t particularly . . . normal. Or even maybe magic. I couldn’t tell you,” he finished with a shrug. He ran a hand through his hair, letting the short strands fall back into place with a certainty that he lacked.

“This thing has gotten me this far, which is something. Still, the best I can get from it is a tug in the general direction, though whether that's my lack of skill or my query's abundance of it remains to be seen.” He shook the trinket, watching the liquid swirl about. “Perhaps if we work together, we can get a better read on his location, maybe figure out how far away he is and where he's headed. Sooner the better. I can’t say too much, but rest assured it is of crucial importance.”

“Well,” Artemis began as he moved to stand, “let’s continue where you left off. We can go back to where I found you, and with ten minutes of focus while holding that little vial, we can see if he’s up to fifteen kilometers from that point. If not, we’ll have to go from there.” He pressed a small cube in his hand as the green and blue flames spiraled inward and collapsed. Picking up the parent cube and pocketing it, he made his way out the cave entrance. The snow had eased, leaving a thick new layer of immaculate white coating the Salvarian lands. “That is, assuming you’re feeling better?” he asked as he gave one last look back.
    Last edited by SirArtemis; 06-16-17 at 09:23 PM.
    2011 Althy Winner - Most Realistic Character
    2016 Althy Winner - Best Contributor & Player of the Year (tie)

Artemis Eburi Wiki Page
    Current Character Profile

Solo Quests:
    Hidden Beneath The Canopy (75)
    Lost Loot of Lornius (74)