5'6" 110lbs.
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile

Facade

Out of Character:
    Closed to Lorelei.

“The Dark Mother has a task for you.”

The sounds of a whetstone running along a blade could be heard, the hand that moved it slender and soft. Grey eyes looked upon the blade with keen disinterest as she remained silent. The silence remained awkward only filled with the sharpening of the blade before the speaker cleared her throat.The woman stopped mid sharpening for only a moment before she finished it, “I heard you Dark Daughter. I am merely awaiting my task, it is not my place to question the blessing of purpose.”

The grey eyes looked out from under the white hair, the look in them one of caution. She knew she was treading a fine line in even continuing to prepare herself infront of Aerith Remi, Dark Daughter of Cassandra. In the cult, she was what came closest to a high priest, often giving directives from the Dark Mother herself. Samantha Ambria, the Warden of the Cult was fairly certain that few if any of the directives actually came from Cassandra herself. She of course was smart enough to not say such things, that usually merited a visit from Jeb Remi. Every visit from that man ended with the Daughter of the Demon nursing herself back to health while being admonished by Aerith over how she needed to know her place.

To be truthful she began to relish those moments, but Aerith’s heart belonged to the Crimson Angel. Samantha merely remained in her room, alone and prepared for her next task. It was lonely but truly there was no one else to fill the loneliness. Instead she was in a weird limbo as far as the Cult was concerned, neither a member of the Dark Family, or a member of the blessed flock. She was the bridge, bringing edicts of punishment from the Dark Mother to those who could not control their desires.

Aerith nodded as she spoke, “Very well, I see you are readying yourself and that is good, you are to head to Underwood and arrive there by the morning. You will go by yourself and you are to find the child of Letho Ravenheart.”

Samantha looked up at Aerith with a confused look on her face before she spoke, “The Marshall had a child?”

A wan smile crossed the Dark Daughter’s lips as she spoke, “Oh yes. She is younger than you, it seems the Marshall worked towards settling down before having a child. Your father’s death the catalyst for such a thing.” Samantha managed to keep her breathing even at the mention of her father as she felt a slow rage simmer in her. The Warden nodded to Aerith to continue, “You are to befriend her. We have a few cultists in the area for you to use as you see fit. Do not be wasteful of them, and silence them if they risk exposing you. Use your best discretion.”

“This is an awfully long leash you’ve given me,” She remarked softly.

The woman smiled as she gently placed a hand under Samantha’s chin, “This is your test. If you complete this task, you are ready. No longer will you waste away in the purgatory. You will be a member of the Family, you will belong at last. Mother has seen your dedication to her cause. You have done everything we asked, and not once tried to escape. You willingly stayed at my side when Catherine would have murdered you, and you braved several of Jeb’s more violent moods. Rejoice Warden, you shall be elevated to a position befitting your devotion.”

Samantha blinked at the tenderness of Aerith’s actions and voice before she nodded and gently pulled away from Aerith, despite feeling her heart race at the contact. She gently brushed strands of hair from her face and bit her bottom lip before she spoke softly, “I am undeserving of such praise…”

Aerith smiled as she spoke, “Of course you deserve it. Now, your target is a young woman named Lorelei. She has the green eyes of her mother and brown hair of her father. She may be keeping her heritage a secret, so be sure of your target before you make your move. You are to befriend her, show her the evils of “civilized” society, show her how wrong it is. You know these truths better than anyone, it should be no problem for you.”

Samantha looked down at the mention before she said, “I dare think her experiences would be different. If Seth was hated, Letho was beloved. I do not believe anyone would have challenged her place in the world.”

Aerith let the smile falter before she put a hand on Samantha’s shoulder, “It is not my place to tell you how such a task be accomplished. That is your job. Figure it out Warden, you are a bright girl. If any of your father’s cunning rubbed off, this should be no problem for the Daughter of the Demon.”

She nodded softly looking at her gear as she sheathed her sword and prepared her pack to leave. The Dark Daughter moving back to give her room the wheelchair moving silently. Samantha looked to Aerith before she spoke, “Will that be all Dark Daughter?”

“Yes, I shall go, I have other duties to attend to. Remember, by sunrise you need be in Underwood. Make contact with the local elements and use them to your advantage. Lorelei Ravenheart must at the very least look favorably upon the Cult by the end of the week, or you will have failed. Understood?”

“I have a week to bring Lorelei to the cause, or suffer the consequences of failure,” Samantha replied. Aerith smiled and nodded as she moved out of the small room that had been the Warden’s chambers. Samantha felt a burden on her shoulders as she grabbed her chain shirt and slipped it over her tunic with a sigh. The test had begun, and she felt she had already failed part of it.

~*~

Heading to Underwood from the Mansion was simple to those that knew the trails. While it was possible to do so in a day, most required two to make it safely. Aerith’s task had been difficult, for it meant skirting the territory of the N’jalian Spider Magi, but she had managed it through luck and guile. Reaching the town as the sun rose she was greeted by a man who was a local blacksmith and given a place to sleep. His sins were that of wrath, a murderous rage that had caused him to leave the port of Vorsport and hide in Underwood, where the cult could eliminate those who would pursue him. In exchange he crafted Samantha’s sword, and gave her the chain shirt.

That had been when she first began her time as Warden. The year had hardened her as she instructed the man to get the cult elements to gather under cover of night. She had rested for most of the day, and kept to eating a small ration. While she was afforded some luxuries as Warden, they were not obligated to help her beyond giving her safe haven. With the end of her first day in Underwood the instructions had been clear, find the woman known as Lorelai Ravenheart and report back to Samantha when that task had been complete.
    Last edited by Lavinian Dementia; 08-11-17 at 11:48 AM.