Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Hollow Part Three: Horizons (Mature)

EXP: 10,855, Level: 4
    Level completed: 38%, EXP required for next level: 3,145
    Level completed: 38%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,145
    GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job
    Steward of Sir Vitruvion Elssmith, nobleman of Beinost and human form-bound god

Avis looked a little disgusted. "I see."

"And of course in natural death, a brother will usually have specified someone to take over from them. So it is all in terms of inheritance."

"That still doesn't answer my question of how long this place has existed."

The elf-not-elf shrugged. "I know but it at least can tell us something. I know, from what Raevin has let on, that Vitruvion is the only brother of the original ten."

When Avis heard the words, her eyebrows rose. "What?"

Blaze nodded. "Exactly. There's a reason why he is chairman, why his position is nearest the surface. He helped create this place."

"Is it why his magic still works?" Avis murmured, pondering on what Reign had told her once. That those with magic could not do their skills down here. Not ever. All apart from Vitruvion and Ventrua. Not even the other brothers it seemed.

The other woman shrugged. "Perhaps." She paused. "I assume Reign told you a little about the subject. It is the only thing that seems to interest her. How she is suffering because she has been denied her royal right of magic."

The mocking tone was clear in Blaze's voice, and Avis was very convinced that the other concubine disliked the pixie princess just as much.

"Indeed she did," Avis grunted a laugh. "The one time she was here. Arrogant bitch, came here to apparently apologise, then realised I'm not the best at making friends and so left."

"You are not excellent at making friends, no," Blaze smiled slightly. "You are as much of a belligerent lady dog as she can be." Avis began to stare when Blaze continued. "But - but she is arrogant. She thinks of herself higher than the rest of us. She is insufferable, abrasive, hot-headed and far too up herself."

"That she is," Avis grunted in agreement. "A type of whore of a royal."

"I hardly see her. If I am entirely honest I am glad Hugin took a shine to her. She still lives in Vitruvion's chambers-"

"So Hugin never managed to get her to move in with him?" Avis asked.

"It seems not," Blaze shook her head, "It seems as though he will not win that one over Vitruvion. As if he ever could."

Avis nodded in agreement, now that she knew what she knew. Vitruvion being the only one of the original founders of the Hollow left granted him respect from the other brothers, if not certain rights. Her gut knotted when she realised she was being kind to the man. Her master.

On point the door opened. Avis was partly surprised as she realised the figure they had been speaking of strode right in, but then she reasoned there was a high chance they would have been anyway.

As his tall lithe form, elegant and proud, strode in, Blaze turned. Her eyes widened slightly as Avis tensed. A look flickered between the two, Avis thinking, "Fuck," Blaze mouthing, "Oh well."

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

Vitruvion looked honestly surprised to see them both there, eyebrows rising in a graceful manner. Lips flickering into an amused smirk, he kept walking over to them, with only a minor pause in his step. Condemning him for his irritating interruption in her mind, Avis moved to be seated on the side of the bed, ready to act if needed, her feet flat on the duvet. Blaze remained where she was, just held onto the arms of the seat in readiness.

Quiet was between the women, knowing there was little to be said. Blaze murmured, quietly, "I suppose we will finish this later."

"I guess so," Avis replied.

They both kept their eyes upon Vitruvion as his soft footsteps brought him closer, his cane clacking. His eyes kept flickering from one woman to the other, before he finally came close enough. He stopped by Blaze's chair, taking his time to look from one to the other, silence falling as he stood above them, proud and strong.

Absolute stillness and silence. The two subjugates looking up to the man who controlled their lives, and he gazing back, a sparkle in his eye. Avis imagined reaching up and using her clawed hand to wrap it around his neck and begin strangling until his eyes popped from his skull ...

That would be killing. Quickly, she shivered and rid the image from her mind.

"If you were looking for me, I apologise," Blaze said suddenly, breaking the silence. "I just wanted to come and talk to Avis in our spare time."

Vitruvion smiled at her gently - an eerie gentleness to be sure. He shook his head slightly and replied; "I was not looking for you, Blaze. Do not worry."

Blaze glanced over to Avis who blinked her large black eyes. "Well I can draw a conclusion from that," she said rather flatly.

Softly, Blaze began to laugh, a light note that seemingly took Vitruvion by surprise. His eyes flickered from one to the other, before settling back on Avis.

"Do you two often meet?" Vitruvion asked, curiousity heavy in his voice.

Before Avis could get a chance to reply, Blaze was already starting.

"Yes. Often enough. We talk about things here and there, how we are getting on. There is no problem of us being friends is there?"

The brother of the Hollow's eyebrows rose. "No. Not at all, dear Blaze."

He placed a light hand on her shoulder and squeezed. Though Avis couldn't swear it she was sure she saw Blaze tense a little and make a face of quiet discomfort. Perhaps she wasn't as comfortable with her situation as Avis had surmised.

"Not at all. Anyway. Stare," he concentrated on Avis. "Today I need you for more than your normal duties. I need you to assist with a business matter, and for that I will require you to obey my orders as we go." He paused.

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

Avis was suddenly very cautious, her whole body nervously stiffened. She opened her mouth to begin her questions. Once again, though, Blaze spoke first, fast and fluid, likely thinking that Avis was about to say something crazy and enraging.

"Should I go and leave you to it?"

Vitruvion turned an eye to her. "No," he said, "It is not necessary unless you wish to." When Blaze did not move, he looked back to Avis and continued. "What the matter is, is of extreme importance, and only you can assist with it, with the level of irritation to me it has gotten to. However," he removed his hand from Blaze's shoulder to hold his cane with both hands. "You see, my dear, I am taking you above surface."

Avis' heart immediately began to heavily beat. Above surface. To the world of the sun, up there in the world of Althanas. Up into Beinost where she had not been for so long, where Skra was, where her life had been, what she had not seen in four whole months ...

"What?" She whispered.

And out of the corner of her eye she saw Blaze, who was looking just as startled and shocked as Avis was.

"I am being serious," Vitruvion said, and his voice sounded, for one of the rare times, completely genuine and open. He smiled at Avis' gaze of incredulity. "Entirely so. But I must remind you that the punishments we agreed on if you attempt another escape still stand. Even above ground. Do you understand?"

His smile faded as he said the last sentence, fixed her with a sincere stare. When Avis did not answer straight away, Blaze looked at her, in agitation.

He sighed and asked again. "Stare, what have I said bef-"

"Yes, I understand," Avis leant back, heavily against the headboard, all sorts of hope fading out of her heart. "And I'm assuming all of the security you can creatively devise," she said the last part with a great amount of spite.

To which Vitruvion smirked and nodded. He looked to Blaze. "Our small family will remain for some time, I think. I am glad you two get on well."

Blaze smiled back at him very gently, but there was sadness in her eyes. She began to stand. "I'm going to leave then, if you don't need me Vitruvion," she told him. "If that is alright."

As if he had enjoyed her being there, Vitruvion gazed at her for a while before nodding. "Go, my dear Blaze. I will see you tomorrow, or the day after."

Blaze nodded, and with a finak fleeting glance at Avis she turned and walked to the door. It opened when one of her guards saw her coming, then closed behind her with a soft click.

Immediately, Vitruvion looked back to her. And began talking, not allowing Avis a note of conversation.

"We are going to see a man who has failed me. Who broke a trade deal, a large one, and he is not responding to any threats. Thus, I need you. And your stare."

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

At mention of her mysterious stunning ability, Avis froze. "You need my stare? You know how bizarre that sounds?"

"Yes, but it has its uses. What you have done in the past has provided me with great interest and information."

"To be honest I don't care about your business, your trade deals, your-" She cut off with a sharp incline of his eyebrow.

"Stare, may I remind you that you admitted you belong to me. In that I own you, your body and obligations entire. If I require you to do something outside of your remit, then that is for me to decide, not you." He paused. "Though, you can be assured that I will never require you to do something that risks your life, or puts anyone else in danger. I will never ask you to kill, do anything that would otherwise be beyond reason."

She wanted to shout at him and cry that what he had her do here was beyond reason, far beyond reason. It was rude, cruel and objective. But Avis knew that to do such a thing right now would be completely stupid.

"Right," she just blandly said. "So we're going up."

Vitruvion inclined his head and visibly relaxed. He took a step back. "Are you ready to leave now?"

Avis looked at him with a tired, annoyed and fed up expression. "Since you're giving me no say in the matter, I guess I am."

For a long time the half-celestial watches her with a steady eye, and then he stepped back. As he gestured for her to stand he twisted his head back to the door.

"Come in now," he commanded, as Avis very uneasily slid off the bed and got to her feet. She watched as Brer and Zulon came in, all care and patience.

Avis folded her arms and stared at Vitruvion, letting the anger and irritation spark. "So, where are you forcing me to go?"

"Into upper Beinost. Not far," Vitruvion gestured for Brer and Zulon to come forwards, and they did.

Avis noticed the amount of items the men carried was more than ordinary. Dragging in a breath through the sides of her beak she dared to ask.

"Is this all necessary? You need me to go?"

"All my other attempts to deal with the bastard have come to nothing," Vitruvion said, his expression sour. "Thus I will respond less peacefully."

"With whatever the fuck my eyes do," Avis replied, looking a little disturbed. For she did not know either. Certainly it was magical, otherwise it would never had occurred here, and kenku mages were few and far between.

Maybe just an apt display of her emotions?

"Here," Vitruvion came forwards and moved the end of his cane. With it he touched her shoulder and nudged her forwards, over to where he was, and in clearer reach of Brer and Zulon. Caught off guard she stumbled slightly, but then caught herself as her fosled arms were needed to catch herself on the chair.

As if planning it all along, Vitruvion reached out and grabbed her wrist. Yanking her tight he turned the stumble forward onto a full stop, twisting Avis brutally around to face him.

He paused as he let go of her wrist, looking deep into her eyes. Gazing back, Avis stood still, her own heart racing from the recent energy use. She locked eye contact with him willingly, showing him that she was not amused by this entire journey. About the fact she would be allowed to see the sun for the first time in four months, but be savagely denied its glory.

Then his lips turned up into a more savage smirk and he stepped back, gesturing with a hand to Brer and Zulon. "I want it tight. No chance of escape what so over."

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

"Thanks," she drawled starcastically. "Truss up your kidnapped kenku why don't you?"

"Make sure you don't escape, yes," Vitruvion answered her, stepping back and making room for Brer and Zulon.

The two men came forwards, dumping most of the accoutrements on the ground, keeping only a pair of leather cuffs.

"I'm my own person," Avis growled.

"Yes, in part, but you are also mine, my dear," Vitruvion smiled.

And her wrists were grabbed, stuffed into the cuffs. Then, a buckle was tightened, hard and brutal, as close as they would go. She winced as she felt the pinch of them. Rope was then taken and wound around the cuffs for more security, tightened, tied and wound again. She could not move her hands a millimetre apart. She kept staring at Vitruvion, hatred pouring from her eyes to him.

"You know that, though. You admitted it yourself."

"Only under duress," she hissed. "Only with threats. Not of my own free will."

"That is because I own your will. Your future is mine. Your body is mine, your mind is yours." He paused as ropes began to be lashed around her torso, not the usually fancy knotwork but rather just looped around and tied. Avis did not struggle, she let the bucks and forced reactions reign her body, and kept her eyes on him.

"So what is your plan for me, for Blaze, for all of us? What, you keep us here for the rest of our lives? Never let us go?"

"As long as all goes well, you will be here for many years," Vitruvion said, leaning on his cane as now a thin chain was dressed over her arms and then locked into place at the back. Weaved back it was placed down her body, all the way to her hands, where a final padlock tied it off at her already very secure wrists. She looked down and rolled her eyes.

"Seriously?" She sighed, seeing the three layers of binds. Try as she might, she could not even move her arms or hands, so tight were they against her torso. As she watched Zulon passed Vitruvion over the keys to the various locks, who dropped the keys into an inside pocket.

"Yes, seriously to both. You are mine, now, Stare, and your attitude makes me just more determined to keep you. Even beyond your age of prime. I will keep you as just a prize, a thing to look at if I need."

Avis breathed in sharply, looking away, entirely disgusted. Then half-celestial lorded his power over her by coming forwards and grasping the chain at her wrists. He yanked it and she was forced forwards, right into his side. Quite satisfied he grinned at her, eyes gleaming.

Then his smile fell slightly.

"Hobble her," he said with a decisive word. Immediately Avis hissed but she had little power here. Though she moved her feet she could not stop the adding of both rope and light chain being wrapped around her feet, forcing the distance between them as a foot at most.

"Fuck sake," she growled, looking very much like an animal trussed up for slaughter, then eating.

"Now we go," Vitruvion nodded.

And he twisted around, his hand still on the binds at her hands. Striking out, he clacked cane on stone as he pulled her along with him. Half shuffling because of the weight of her burdens, and her hobbled feet, she went close to him, Brer and Zulon hugging by so shoulders rubbed.

As one body they moved, Avis at the centre, moving with short but agitated steps. Her breathed was short and livid as she felt like a fool the way she was. Dark eyes stared as they came to the corridor and turned to ascend it. They bore into the guards at each door. One recognised her, having been there the time when she attempted her escape. He paused and murmured something small.

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

"Yes, Harrier," Vitruvion said, "That is the same one. She won't be getting loose any time soon however."

Harrier's brushed up and down her and he awkwardly smiled before opening the door. Avis flashed him a steely look, as she was taken then into the chamber that served as a mess hall.

A few men were out. Not as many as before, but a decent amount who turned to gaze at their party. Most, however, did not focus their sight on Avis, rather they looked to Vitruvion, their unspoken ultimate master. If anyone was above everyone else in the Hollow, it was he.

Turning, Vitruvion watched Avis briefly as she prepared multiple curses to throw at him. He then smiled as he let go of her wrists to begin untying his own scarf from his neck. Curiousity fled across many eyes, as well as silence, as he plucked it from his throat, and then paused. After this and a meaningful look at Avis, he proceeded to raised the scarf - then press it over her eyes, wrapping then material as many times as it would go, then tying it off.

A make shift blindfold. Avis spat and a shiver ran down her spine as she whispered in a tight voice, "Really?"

"Now you are forced to trust me," Vitruvion said, grabbing at her wrists once more.

Avis growled. "I don't intend to start."

"Then I'll drag you," he said, starting walking. Bodies of Zulon and Brer pressed either side of her. She was cast in darkeness, lost. Stumbling blindly save only for a very faint light she moved forwards, short steps. She other breaths, other people moving as she was taken up a flight of stairs (that part was tricky), along a corridor, by some rooms, up more stairs, more voices, more stairs, a very awkward ladder and a small hallway before she heard the creak of mankind doors. In which she was taken outside in the first time in four months.

She could just feel the fresh air flow around her form. It brushed past her free feathers and whistled like a calm musician playing his worth. Smiling, slightly, she welcomed the warmth of the sun, the brightness it brought - before she was suddenly trundled up a small step and into ... Something.

Clunk.

Her blindfold was removed. Blinking fiercely she looked around and found she was in a wooden box - a carriage she suddenly realised. Doors closed, blinds drawn. Beside her sat Vitruvion, refashioning his scarf and at her feet was the person making the clunking noise.

Brer, taking the chain at her feet and padlocking it into a bolt at her feet.

Damn, she thought. Now she wouldn't even be able to leave the carriage if it toppled over. She was fixed within.

"One last thing," Vitruvion said, as Brer took a seat opposite beside Zulon. "I would ask you to swear to silence for this entire journey, but in all honesty I do not trust you enough. Thus, I had this made."

And he reached down the side of the seat and brought out something soft leather, long and pointed, sewed. A flicker of a smile crossed his face as he passed it to Brer, who grunted, the only noise he had made despite throwing Avis a few kind glances. Brer began to move, as Avis watched him wearily. He began to open the leather, showing it as long and hollow on the inside like a cone, small holes inserted -

"No fucking way," she shook her head fiercely. "You are not putting a muzzle on me."

Vitruvion flashed out a hand and grabbed the top of her head, as the muzzle was slipped over, right against her beak. She tried to open her mouth and twist her face to the side. She cawed, moved, dodged as much as she could, but Brer and Zulon became involved. With her already tied, and three pairs of hands, including those of the half-giant there was little fight to be done. Struggling and bucking, the muzzle was slipped on. The leather fit perfectly, with holes for her nostrils, and though she struggled, it was dragged up and over, then savagely laced at the back in three places.

The pieces of leather pressed her beak together to their extreme. It was such a neat fit that she was forced to reply on her nostrils for breathing. As she glared at Vitruvion, wishing him all the hate and death in the world he smirked and knocked on the roof of the carriage. It lurched in an unfamiliar pattern, throwing Avis forwards, and she made the smallest muffled sound.

A hand grabbed her by the shoulder and pulled her back to sit upright. She stared at Vitruvion as he peeked out the corner of the window he sat at, lifting up the blind. He nodded, and gave her a pleasant smile before speaking.

"What a good day for a carriage ride, hmmm?"

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

Avis just huffed into her leather muzzle and leant back. She rolled her eyes and glanced over to Brer. He held his mattock ready in case she tried anything, but else he was kind and gentle. Zulon was likewise, offering her a small smile. She calmed somewhat and let herself try to relax.

They went on, and eventually Vitruvion struck up some form of conversation. Avis learnt that the man they were going to see was called 'Thesus Heysan' and he was a lord who worked in the castle of city's masters. In Beinost, though the city itself thrived well on trade, it was still underwhelmingly under populated after the defeat of Xem'Zund the necromancer. So it meant there were corners of high population, like the one Avis had lived at along with her bakery brethren. For each a lord seemed to have arises, who dwelt in a castle along with the thriving bardic schools. The particular lord that Thesus Haysan served was Lord Raknia Gert, a high elf of apparently higher standards. Thus it meant that they would need to head into the layers of the castle itself.

A hard knock came on the carriage door as it suddenly stopped. Avis was thrown slightly, but by grinding her claws into the wood at the bottom she kept herself steady. She breathed hard through her nostrils.

Slightly, Vitruvion opened the door, and the face of a well-rounded elf guard came into view. Dressed in the deep purple of Lord Raknia.

"What you'm here for?" The elf asked.

Vitruvion gave him a wry smile. "I am Sir Vitruvion Elssmith, and I have an appointment with Thesus."

The elf's eyebrow rose slightly. Avis was surprised to hear Vitruvion give himself a title, but then she realised it was very likely naturally his. He was the sort of man who would have one.

"I see, milord, and-"

The guard broke off when he caught a glimpse of Avis sitting beside Vitruvion. His eyes widened and for a moment she thought he was going to raise an alarm, call out that the people in the carriage had a prisoner. Had kidnapped a woman of a rare species. Her heart thumped madly.

"What is that?"

"Documents are all here," Vitruvion suddenly produced a binding of papers, wrapped up in a scroll and baring several large official-looking seals. "My slave girl. Bought in the markets of far Hernsford. Legally mine in every nation."

A sinking feeling came to the pit of Avis' stomach as he spoke. The guard took the documents from Vitruvion, his eyes scanning over them as she thought about what Vitruvion had just said. He had managed to forge documents of binding law that ensured that she was respected as his throughout Althanas. She was surprised that there was such a thing - slavery had been outlawed in a few places across the lands, but in others there was a thriving market. Some countries depended on indentured servitude but others, like Raiaera, had nothing to do with it.

There was suspicion in the guard's eyes.

"The laws of the market in Hernsford have been agreed by every nation's leaders, last agreed in mid-winter," Vitruvion fixed the man with a constant stare. "If you want to contest my paperwork, which is entirely proper, I can wait until you contact Lady General Nalith Celiniel?" He smiled, invoking the name of the last member of the small council, the effective leader of Raiaera.

The guard siezed at that and hurriedly gave the papers back. He stepped back and gestured. "Please go, my lord."

The door was closed. Vitruvion wrapped up the paper and tied a string around the scroll again before placing it back into his pocket. Finally he turned back to Avis and smiled brightly at her dark, unbelieving, fiercesome stare.

"I have a friend who works in Hernsford. He creates these documents for me using all the techniques, all the correct procedure. To all eyes they are true." He cupped his hands on his lap. "So you see, Stare, you will never escape me."

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

Right now, all she wanted to do was kill him.

"I had one of you once, who managed to escape. It was a folly on my guard's part. She begged for fresh air and ... Well. Weakness. But all I needed to do was post a reward and she was returned to me," he mused. "Of course I couldn't keep her around. She was too violent after that, too out of control."

"Ended up killing herself," Brer grunted.

Vitruvion frowned. "Indeed."

The carriage suddenly lurched into movement again. Avis couldn't help but feel her heart sink as she suddenly realised that unless something incredibly lucky happened that this was her life now. This was her lot. This was her fate. She wasn't going to give up easily, however. She wouldn't ever take her own life, that she was determined about.

"Bare in mind, I don't have these made for all of you," Vitruvion suddenly said, continuing his conversation. "Just those that I have a keen interest in. Who I know can serve me in other ways. Who I am determined never to lose." He paused. "You should count yourself lucky. Blaze has no documents, neither does Reign, nor did Hope. My last official slave was Spice and she died two years ago."

Why on earth would that make me feel better?
    Avis hissed in her mind.

But her question was not answered.

It would never be answered. Here she was, stuck with him for the rest of her sorry life, until she could get away - and then, far away.

Vitruvion continued to look out of the window, his hand lifting up the side of the blind. His other hand, however, came to rest on Avis' thigh and she felt her body recoil at the touch, to the limits that it could. As their journey into the depths of the citadel continued his fingers began to slip further down, curving down towards her womanhood. Until he altogether grabbed it, she gasped into her own beak with a muffled exclamation and threw her head back. He didn't do anything but smirk and the other men - Brer and Zulon - looked away, feeling awkward.

Vitruvion kept his hand there, clutching at her with a calm finger, and only removed it when the carriage came to a halt again. He removed his hand, lightly wiping it on her feathers before opening the door. Sunlight burst into the wooden box, Vitruvion stepped out and spoke in quiet tones to someone. There was a small amount of scuffle before he gestured. Brer nodded, and got down on his knees again. Into his hand came a key, which undid the lock that held her into the carriage itself. Producing a final piece of rope from his pocket he tied the end securely around the gap between her hands, then passed out the end to Vitruvion.

Taking it, he wrapped the end around his hand, then pulled. Avis was cast forwards, onto her feet, and she awkwardly staggered from the carriage into brilliant day.

It was like stepping into a dream. Birdsong filled her ears. She breathed in sweet and refreshing air and felt the heat of the sun touching the ends of feathers. Fresh warm cobbles were beneath her claws and she could smell the scents of new grass, flowers and life itself.

Tug. She turned, was forced to turn and start walking. Coming out of the fantasy, Avis looked around and saw a few people. Servants, most likely, a lot of them staring at her like she was some dangerous animal. Maybe she was. She just glared at them back, wishing they would mind their own business. Vitruvion was heading inside the doorway of a large, grand, white building, which doors were wide open and a butler stood there, welcoming the Sir Elssmith with the grandeur of a person of his station. Avis was quite surprised to see Brer and Zulon not following them, but instead staying outside. As she drifted from the precious outside to in, she lost sight of them, stuck with only Vitruvion and his rope.

In a corridor of ornate marble.

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

"My lord, it is an honour to have you here again ..." The servant said with strange familiarity. "But never before have you come with one of your ..."

"Women. Possessions is another term. Indeed, I have not, but I have a reason for bringing my dear kenku here."

"Kenku? Is that name?" The asker said carefully.

"No, but her race."

"I see."

"Very rare. They get high prices on the markets."

"Yes sir."

Avis huffed as much as she could. Still being hobbled she moved as fast as her feet allowed as she was pulled in the direction Vitruvion wanted. Her jaw was clenched and her spirit raging.

They turned around the corner, and Vitruvion shortened the rope as they did. He strode in through a door that was automatically opened for him, forcing Avis to his side. They stepped in from the marble corridor into a high-ceilinged room, each wall covered in a painting of some high master or other. The room itself was small and consisted of a desk, many shelves leaning against the walls and chairs. Sitting behind the desk, in one of these chairs, was a middle-aged man with a clean shaven face and short hair. He wore spectacles on the end of his nose, and was peering at a piece of paper.

"Ah hem," went Vitruvion.

The man suddenly looked up. And his eyes went huge. In a panic, he stood up, scraping the chair along the floor as it was forced back.

"Vitruvion Elssmith?"

"Thesus Heysan," the half-celestial grimly smiled. "We have some unfinished business, you and I."

The man raised a hand and pulled it through his short hair before smiling awkwardly. "Not exactly. I found a loop hole in our contract, I took advantage of it and you-" His eyes glanced over to Avis, who was staring as confused and mad as he was. "Why - why have you brought one of your playthings here, Vitruvion?"

Plaything my ass, Avis thought.

"Tell your man to leave," Vitruvion answered, eyes narrowing. "Then we will sort this out once and for all."

Thesus seemed to think on Vitruvion's words for a while. Studying him, then studying the very tied up Avis, he took a while to consider. It took him a while to consider but then he waved a hand and told to his servant.

"I will be fine. Bring us tea in ten minutes."

The servant paused, but then bowed and exited. As soon as he had done, Vitruvion turned back to Thesus. He folded his arms, stared at the man. In a tight voice he said, "Sit down, slave, for now."

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

It took Avis a moment to realise he was addressing her. In something of a flutter she paused, then sank very slowly back into the closest seat. Vitruvion didn't once look at her. Instead, when she was done, he leant forwards and hissed at the man.

"I will give you this one chance, Thesus, to give me the money as agreed. Three months back pay you owe me."

"Oh is that it? Not counting this month's hmm?"

"You know very well that our contract is over. This month my wares will be going elsewhere, not to you," he pursed his lips. "This is your last warning."

"Our contract said that, in not so many words, that if the buyer, being myself, found the products unsatisfactory in a manner that effected the resale and was consistent with evidence of prior betrer quality, along with evidence that it had not been of the best quality when it left Tirel, then the buyer can negotiate alternative pricing."

"You did not negotiate alternative pricing," Vitruvion hissed, unfolding his arms. "You refused to pay me anything."

"Yes, as I found the quality deserving of that negotiated price. Nothing," Thesus smirked, in the same foul way that Vitruvion often did. Avis was beginning to understand why these men had gone into business in the first place. "So I did not pay."

"You owe me money, Thesus," the half-celestial growled, "There was no negotiation done. You just could not afford the cost, you were going bankrupt, thus you claimed lack of payment for three months, then you came out with the quality deserving naught." He curled his hand into a fist. "You will pay me double for every shipment, now, or there will be hell to pay."

"Bah," Thesus smiled, sitting back down. He waved a hand dismissively. "You have nothing that could make me pay-"

"Now, Stare." Vitruvion suddenly commanded in a strong, firm voice.

Avis' eyes went huge, she blinked at him as Thesus looked confused, wondering what was going on and why he had been so rudely interrupted.

"Now!"

Sucking in her breath she twisted around and grasped Thesus' eyes with her own. Concentrating hard she did what she had been brought here to do and tried to access that part of her that she did not comprehend. Puttiny every dire feeling at the forefront of her mind - hate for Vitruvion, disgust at herself, horror for the Hollow - she twisted this into a weapon in her mind and focused. Shoving all of this into a stare that simply spoke, "You are worth nothing," Avis held the man in the grip of shock, silence and awe as he was frozen to his seat. His lips were stuck half-open, his eyes round and unprotected by his spectacles. His heart raced as hers steadily thumped and she kept the look.

Thhhh-ump. Thhhh-ump. Thhhh-ump.

Seconds ticked by. Slowly, slowly, but they moved by. Avis kept staring, kept holding, thinking of everything she had just learnt today. How Vitruvion had enforced his hold on her even tighter, how he could summon a witch hunt for her, at any moment. How, though they were forged, he had official documents claiming him as her owner in legal form that covered all of the known lands.

"Enough," a whisper came to her ear. "Enough."

Very reluctantly, Avis ripped her gaze away from the man. She heard him gasp, suddenly wheezing. He pulled at his collar of his shirt, wiped at the sweat on his brow, struggled as he eased the best he could from a bright red colour to pale.

The reality of it slammed into Avis as she watched his reactions. She had caused him to entirely lose the ability to breathe. Her eyes had choked him.

What the hell?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast