Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job
    Steward of Sir Vitruvion Elssmith, nobleman of Beinost and human form-bound god

Futures and Legacies

Follow up to the Hollow triology

Rated Mature, but less hard-core mature than Hollow.
    Two Months Later.

Silence.

The purest of atmospheres. An absence of everything else, but that which is nothing. No whispers, no heartbeats of the earth, and no calls of nature. It was a hollow, empty shell, but a void that invited the beautiful ability of creation. It was a silence that was the beginning and the end, the love and the hate, the hurt and the joy.

Focus. Focus your mind on the silence and let it fill you. For this silence can be found in the most noisy of places, the distracting and the raucous. If you were in the heat of battle you could believe in the absence of all else except this silence. For this silence is the truth between all things, the space between realms. It is the time of no air, the distance between the magical world and the physical one. All you need to do is focus and you can find it.

Focus.

Focus.

Focus.

"For heaven's sake just focus!"

A voice. The voice. His voice. Ruining it, ending it, breaking the silence's reign.

Swiftly she turned from the stunned and shivering pig in the corner of the room, twisting right around to face him, lounging there in his throne-like chair. Indeed, he was sitting in an agitated manner, but it did not take away from the relaxed aristocratic role he took. Anger permeated her face, not too different from the hateful rage that had been filling her before. Letting her claws scrape the fine tiles of the floor, she rose, like an eagle from its nest.

"Shouting at me does not involve more focus," she growled, her hands rolling into fists. "In fact it takes away from what I am trying already."

"The pig is still the same as the last ten," Vitruvion replied, spreading a thin and pale fingered hand towards the swine. "Exactly the same, in fact. You have not improved."

Avis was incredulous. "Vitruvion, one interrupting me every time you want me to do better doesn't help. Two, it's a pig, they're all pigs, so they can't tell us what they're experiencing. Three, I have practically no idea what I am doing with this, so complaining at me to try to 'improve' is not going to work in these circumstances."

"Your powers are triggered by your intense feelings of hate, fear, anger ... and others," he shrugged. "That we know, therefore we can say we are a large part of the way to understanding your ability."

"But not all of it," she stressed, throwing her hands up. Then she sighed with a groan and ran fingers through the feathers about her head. "I don't know what I am, and you said you would be able to figure it out."

He watched her then, in silence but with his eyebrow raised. He watched as her focus slipped from him to the ground, staring at the tiles around her feet in the small basement room. The walls were simply plastered and the ceiling had a small hanging chandelier, and the only furniture was Vitruvion's lordly chair. Else, the room was bare, and a set of wooden stairs led to the next floor. It was a far cry from the underground labyrinth tunnels of the Hollow, where Vitruvion had kept her the first four months of their acquaintance. For above the basement was a servants mess hall. And by that a kitchen. And that kitchen led up to a grand dining hall which was the centre of the glorious town mansion that was Vitruvion's city home in Beinost.

His true home. Where he resided when he was not in the Hollow. His business home. And the same home where he had brought Avis two weeks after he had resolved to have her at his side for the rest of her life.

"I said we would explore the situation, Stare," he said, using the name that had originally been formed when she was a simple slave concubine in his empire of the Hollow. Now she was his ... Whatever she was, though still a slave under his pretense of near to official documentation. "I did not say I would provide direct answers. For I have as much interest in this as you. Otherwise I would have kept you in the Hollow, chained as you were. I wouldn't have gone through these extensive measures to keep you at my side."

Avis did not respond. She had very little to say. Her right hand wandered over to her left wrist, where a small scrap of leather was bound. It hid a cuff, one that had been designed, made and placed on her by Vitruvion. He watched as she held it in her hand, and folded his own left hand into a fist. In his third finger sat a dull silver ring, and it was onto this he concentrated. For the ring was joined directly to the cuff, the master over the subjugated. Through it he could see what she could, hear what she could, know her thoughts, and never the other way around. She would never know when he was in her mind, and she could never take the cuff off. It was bound shut with impossible metal thread that was part of the cuff itself, but his could be removed. In essence, he was the controller, she was his device, and if she ever considered anything less his celestial power could be called through it to fill her body with frigid, unyielding pain.

Very gently he poked at her conciousness, somewhere near her hip. Suddenly, as the vivid physicality of the prod came to be, and Avis was struck by a short but agonising sting. Gasping, her body flinched with a uncommanded convulsion, and she lifted her head up to look at him with wide, stormy eyes.

"Good," he said. "You are paying attention again. Let us finish for the day." He nodded to the corner where the supine creature had now toppled onto its side, eyes rolled back, dumb. "Deal with that. I will be down in the Hollow for the rest of the evening." He began to rise from the chair.

Gulping in air, gaining back her sanity from the cruel though brief stab of pain, Avis stuttered as she responded. "Th-that's not my job," her voice was near breathless. "I don't know anything about-"

But he was already walking, striding long footsteps over to the stairs. "I will see you in the morning," he said, entirely ignoring her. "As usual, do not leave your room once you are finished here. Brer will be here tonight to watch you."

With no cane in hand it was his footsteps that were his rhythm. It matched the feverish beat of her heart as she watched him leave. His eyes did not meet hers, they were mere shadows that drifted away and like the very same he carried himself up the wooden steps. Hardened leather boots carried a dull tone, and even as her beak snapped shut as she body gained breath once more. Good breath, stable breath, back from then brink that his dark humour created.

Thud.

The door from the top of the stairs closed with a loud tone. Still feeling tender, she recoiled protectively inwards. Her arms crossed over her chest, she glanced back to the resting pig in the corner and let out a slow sigh before picking her way towards it. Tomorrow, the beast would be sold to the butcher. In a few months time it would die. Sometime in the next week a new pig would arrive, and the same cycle would continue. Gain the pig, stun the pig, sell the pig, forget the pig.

Avis grabbed a rope from the floor, that had been half hidden by shadows, and found the looped end. Going over, she hooked it around the dazed animal's neck and began the long task of encouraging it from the room. It was not the first time she had done this, and it would not be the last. But it was not her speciality, and it was not her ken. The pig squealed, and she did the only thing she knew and pulled on until it followed her up the stairs.

EXP: 10,855, Level: 4
    Level completed: 38%, EXP required for next level: 3,145
    Level completed: 38%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,145
    GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

"I thought I told you to stay in your room?"

Her eyes rolled up to his. Blinking, she looked back to him as she gazed up at him.

"It's been three days," she said in a low voice. "You have not been here in all that time. I needed to get out."

"You were not allowed out of your room in the Hollow. I certainly don't think that because you are here now you can take liberties."

She was struck dumb, not sure quite what to say. Indeed her lot in life had changed, and she was no longer doomed a life underground. But, aside from that little had altered. Vitruvion had moved her from the rank of 'for sex' to 'for his own intrigue'. He had changed her from being a central part of his twisted, sexual fantasy, paradise life, to the above-ground, homely, life of servitude. She now sat in an aging armchair in the centre of a tiny lounge, a stroke of sudden agitation running through her. On her lap was a book, and before her was a small tray of food, gained from the lone cook who resided in the city manor.

Looking away she stared with a passion at the book in front of her. She could feel Vitruvion's eyes on the back of her head, glaring at her, waiting for a reply. The reply she would never give.

"Get up," he said, coming over and nudging her leg with his cane.

Her jaw tightened. Slowly she closed the book on her lap, taking a long breath in.

A second nudge came, and it was closer to a shove. "Stare. Get up. Now. And give me the book."

A hand appeared in her vision, flat out and pausing. Avis tightened her jaw, looking at the beige carpet that led to the other few armchairs in the small, tidy living room. Two windows looked out to the south, to the sprawling hedge gardens. It was dressed in general neutral cream, a light but boring room.

Very slowly she lifted the book and slid it into his hand. Fingers closed around it, holding it tight, turning it to his side.

"And get up."

Sighing quietly, she stood, concious of the cuff at her wrist. Taking her by the shoulder, Vitruvion turned her body to face the lone door of the room. He pressed at the back of her ankle with his cane.

"Move. Now."

Slowly she lifted up her head, dignity determined, but stared moving, irritation beginning to rise. But she couldn't react with it, shouldn't react to it. Just keep walking. Keep moving your feet.

She grabbed the door handle, picking up her pace, knowing he was behind her, following her clawed footsteps. Without any prompt she headed straight for the curve of the stairs that rose grandly from the vast, white, marble hall. Her arms folded over her grey tunic, and she began to nearly jog, twisting at the top of the stairway to head for the balcony that ringed the hallway beneath, rooms darting off from all directions of the square shape of it.

There was Brer, standing outside of a plain wooden door. As she headed towards him, he raised an eyebrow, eyes flittering between her and the master behind her. Without so much as a hesitation he turned the knob of the room, opening it. It led to a dark room, panelled entirely in a dull grey-tinted wood, with a small amount of light coming from a tiny bay window window. Into this room Avis strode. She headed right for the bay window, where a cushioned seat lined all the way around.

Down there she dumped herself, leaning right against the window side. And the clack clack of the cane followed her. Right to the window. To her window, in her new panelled room. Compromised of a four poster bed, a wardrobe and a vanity.

"How many times have you been out of this room?" He said in a low, controlled voice.

Her eyes were fixed on the window, overlooking the city that sprawled beneath her like a forgotten wonderland.

"Three," she answered, quiet honestly. "Once, yesterday to the gardens. Twice today, the front lounge and this morning to the kitchens."

A pause. Then a rush of movement and he had taken the seat opposite her. Cane poised between his knees he stared.

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

"That would be three times then that you disobeyed my orders. I am severely disappointed, Stare. I did not even look into your mind once, rather I gave you the benefit of the doubt," he spat the last word.

Avis sucked in her breath, pulling her legs up to her chest.

"And I assumed you never told Brer that I had given you the order," he said with a grunt. "Otherwise he would never had let you out. At least he is loyal."

Falling silent, Vitruvion studied her. His eyes ran up and down the length of her form. He leant back against the window and willed himself into the ring and into her mind. In it, at the surface thoughts that he could read, he felt the turmoil within her. The complete lack of love for him. The emptiness she felt each time she contemplated her now inevitable future. The anxiety that each day took her through that, at any point, he could choose to cripple her. Maybe even kill her.

In part, she was frightened of him.

A smile flickered onto his lips. Though fear was not what he truly wanted - instead he wanted he devotion - he had used the emotion before to manipulate others. And he could use it to control her.

"I do not want to start locking you in here, Stare. You're not my Hollow guest anymore. Instead you are my project. My device if you will, with hopes of refining your abilities and using that for my benefit. Ever since Thesus Heysan ..."

Thesus Heysan. The first person Vitruvion had had Avis use her powers on. A man who had refused to pay Vitruvion for produce, all because of some small loophole in their business contract. Avis had made the man suffer what he termed as 'nightmares' and he had paid. He had then, some days later, sent a team of individuals to attack and kill both Avis and the half-celestial but that had failed between a mixture of equal effort. In the spirit of the fight Avis had saved Vitruvion's life - whilst being mostly bound. They had found out those responsible for the heist after a long torturous night for one of the attackers, and that had been the simple start. From that day Vitruvion had sworn to himself he would never let Avis from his sight.

"Within the Hollow there were exceptions for belligerency. There were levels I was willing to allow, for you had but one purpose. Now, however, I require that you obey ever order that is given to you. There is no leniency. There are no men waiting outside to drag you onto a bed, or a table for my delight. Instead there is simply yourself, Brer and I, and Brer at one point will be gone. I have given you a mansion to live in, clothes, better food and many other things that your heart desires, but I need your obidience, Stare. From now on I need you to take everything I say seriously, otherwise there will be pain."

To make his point he reached through the ring. He imagined a knife appearing in his hand and he stabbed her in the gut.

Cold, striking and doubtless pain slammed into her body. Suddenly Avis was keening over, screeching out in a loud cry and clutching at her abdomen. The strike was cruel, and it was vicious. It was the dark chord of an endless nightmare, caught in the throes of a deep, long winter.

"That," Vitruvion said in a pitiless tone, "was for disobeying me."

She closed her eyes, holding her torso as if she expected it to fall off.

He kept the pain going for a moment longer, then ended it. A gasp struck from her mouth. Collapsing a little she fell back against the window pane, her breathing erratic. Her eyes were tight closed and she felt as if her world was slipping. Therefore, desperately she clung to it and clung to herself, grasping onto her feathers as she gained back to sanity.

Vitruvion leant forwards. "Do we have an understanding?"

Her eyes were screwed shut and she shook.

When no answer came directly he ground his teeth together. "Stare!" He shouted. "You will answer me directly!"

"Yes," she garbled through unsteady gulps of air. "I understand, you bastard. I am yours to command."

His brow rose with use of the swear, but he let it pass. With the admittance by her own words he was satisfied. He straightened his jacket, leaned forwards and stood.

"Then show me exactly how," he said in a smooth voice. "Get on the bed."

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

Her eyes flashed to him in honest surprise. Still shaking slightly, still curled up, she whispered, incredulous.

"What?"

He looked right back at her, back straight. "You heard me. Bed, now."

"But I'm not-"

"What? My guest in the Hollow anymore? No you are not, but by your own words you are still mine, to do with as I wish. And right now, I wish to satisfy myself."

A lump caught in her throat. He had only had sex with her once since he had brought her to the city mansion, and that had been once. There had been drink, then some laughter, then rope. He had bound her himself, Brer and Zulon holding her down.

"But we have never ..."

"You are still mine," he looked at her with an undying pride. "Even more so with the documents I have. And when we get to Hernsford it shall be until the remainder of your days." He took a step towards her. "Therefore, I own you and your body. So get on the bed." He paused. "Please."

Slowly she wiped at her cheeks, stained with tears born from pain. "You're asking me to ... Without ...?"

He arched an eyebrow. "Stare. Bed, sex, now. Yes, without." He pointed to the bed with his cane, shaking it. There was a line of irrtation in his voice. When she didn't move directly he sighed. "I do not want to, but do I honestly have to-?"

"No," she got up, surprised at her own speed. Her eyes were huge, glistening a little. With a reluctant heart she found herself an unwilling accomplice. Reluctant, but her body new she had to. "No you don't."

Placing her eyes to the ground she turned to hurry over, knowing what 'that' entailed. After all she had just got a brief dashing of it.

Her claws carried he to the edge of the bed. Once there she found herself sitting on the edge of the bed, barely able to look at him.

A sigh as the clink clunk made its way over.

"On the bed, not at the edge," his patient voice commanded. "And clothes off. Please."

Her beak snapped closed, pressing the halves together as she moved her hands. They slowly undid the belt at her waist, letting it fall to the ground. Pausing after that she took a gulp of air before reaching and scooping her entire tunic off, over her head. Since she wore nothing beneath it floated to the ground and left her there in her simply feathered nakedness.

A tap by her ankle. A nudge with the cane. Taking in a breath she moved backwards onto the bed, lost in it all. Why now? Why this? Why was she doing what he said without ...? Clacking her tongue against the roof of her beak she realised the answer to the latter question at least. Because he still had constraints over her. They might not be physical in the sense of men and ropes, but they were mental. If she ran away, then he would search mentally for her and there would be hell to pay. If she resisted - why, he could cripple her with pain, then take her body.

But with her consent, it could be entirely easier. He could force her, but he was offering her this - a moment of acceptance and a sliver of freedom.

With a small sigh she paid back against the bed, her head on the pillows. Her hands she folded across her stomach for now. Staring up to the stupidly elaborate ceiling she waited. She heard the thwump of cloth falling to the floor and the clatter of the metal vane besides. The creak of the bed came next as he moved onto it, the balance of the bed being upset.

His mostly naked form swam into her vision. And she instinctively froze. But he smiled softly and reached to take her hand, lacing his strong, soft fingers with her clawed, gnarled ones. Pleasure shone in his eye as carefully moved into position.

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

The next morning she was curled into the bed. A lose foetal position, under a light, thin blanket. As she awoke she felt the warmth of another body near her. Eyes blinking open she saw his still form, still except for the sculpted chest moving slowly up and down. His eyes were peacefully closed and he lay on his side, turned towards her, an arm extended and wrapped around her waist.

Avis swallowed, blinking in the new light. Breathing was hard to regulate with the various memories that swam to her, but she managed. The fact that she had let him come. She had not resisted and been completely accepting of the situation. It had not been rape. In fact she had enjoyed it. For the first time ever.

Dropping her eyes from him she tucked an elbow beneath the arm around her and carefully nudged it upwards. With that movement successful she then twisted out from underneath him. The nausea did not rise like the last time she had awoken in the bed with him - there had been no pain, for a start - and she felt sort of relaxed with it all.

Ducking out from under his reach Avis moved off the edge of the bed. Sliding off it, she took up her tunic once more and pulled it on before making her way over to the bay window. Upon the cushioned seat she sat, reached under the cushion at the back of it to find a book. She didn't dare try to leave the room, for she knew that would be idiocy now. Instead she resigned herself to staying here for the whole day, and the foreseeable next few days.

She got lost in the story, letting the plot fill her mind. It was not a romance from Brer - now, living in the mansion, she had access to Vitruvion's library. With a hundred years of life he had a significant collection. Therefore she was currently absorbed into the tale of an exciting adventure, of a centaur called Nightshade and his dwarf companion Farsee who were hunting for mythical items. The Holy Grains, the Sword of Artur and the lost silver city of El Doro. Right now, in this particular book, they were looking for the legendary Arc of the Conversation - a supposed arch in a city that if one stood under it they could talk to the gods.

Right now Nightshade and Farsee were battling with a crew of human mercenaries whose master wanted the Arc for his own devious desires. They were trapped in a basement of a pub, a ridiculous set of circumstances having led them there, and fighting with whatever they could find. Nightshade had a fire poker and Farsee a chair leg.

"What are you reading?"

She jumped with a gasp at the suddenness of his voice. Looking up, she stared, startled at his figure standing to the side and over her, his head tilted to the side as if trying to read over her shoulder. When their eye contact met he twisted the corner of his mouth into a quirky smile.

"Good morning, Stare."

He was still mostly naked. She felt chagrin rise and she looked hurriedly away, folding her book closed. "Good morning."

A chuckle escaped from his lips. He bent to pick up a pair of trousers from where he had left them near the seat. Avis' darted to outside, where she saw the expanse of the gardens and the high hedge beyond. Luckily there was not even staff out today so no one saw Vitruvion prancing around with his manhood swinging.

"I need you for a business matter down in the Hollow today," he said in a warm voice.

The idea made her startled. She felt like asking why he had not mentioned it the day before, but then she reminded herself that this was Vitruvion. The man who would never explain himself to those he employed. Or owned.

She blinked a couple of times, looking at his refection in the glass rather than him. "A business matter? What sort?"

"Tidying up of the Thesus Heysan affair," he shrugged. "One last witness to question who has been reluctant to speak and whom I cannot torture for legal reasons."

Avis furrowed her brow, confused. "Who ...?"

"Thesus' daughter is married to a Duke," Vitruvion explained, his voice drifting in volume as he moved away. She had to turn her head now to listen. "And the law states that as a duchess I cannot lay a hand on her. But you do not need to lay a single finger, so." He smiled. "You will help today."

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

"You want me to stare at a duchess?" She asked, disbelief in her voice.

Vitruvion nodded, coming back over to her, picking up his cane from the last thing off the floor. "Indeed, you are going to use your stare on a duchess. We leave in two hours." He ran a hand around the curve of her cheek, brushing the feathers as a moment of rare kindness. She felt a shiver run down her spine, a breath escape from her lips, after all that had occurred the previous night. Vitruvion cupped her chin for the shortest of moments, then let go.

With that done he turned, picking up his boots as he went and left her in her room.

Letting out a sigh Avis sagged back against the window frame. She had never once dreamed she would be required to go back down to the Hollow, but here Vitruvion was, requesting it directly of her. Or rather, telling her so. Having a duchess in the Hollow was something she had not expected - surely if Vitruvion had qualms about torturing her then wouldn't he have brought her here? There were unanswered questions and it made Avis queasy to the stomach to consider them. Would he blindfold her, like he had the other times she had been taken from and to the Hollow? Would he even bind her? The intercourse last night had been a new step in the development of their relationship, something Avis had not expected. Consensual, no fight desired.

Two hours he had said. And knowing Vitruvion that meant an hour and fifty nine minutes. Two hours to get ready in whatever way he expected her to, and very likely not leave the room in that. After all, he had not said she could leave as yet. It was a best guess that it meant she should stay within the walls.

Those walls, however, included her attached bathroom. As with her rooms in the Hollow Avis had a place to wash. More ornate than what she had had, after all this was part of Vitruvion's public home, there was a heavy ceramic tub, with taps. A simply engineering trick stolen from Alerar gave her hot water on command. Thus, Avis ran herself a warm bath, and took her time in relaxing. Afterwards she dressed in a clean tunic, slipping on the leather strip she called a belt, and on top a cosy cotton cloak - one of the many decent quality items her new position granted her.

Barely had she begun to read once more than her door banged open. Brer's face appeared, an awkward smile upon it. Blinking Avis opened her mouth to question his sudden entrance when the half-giant stepped back, opening the door for her.

"We are going downstairs," he grinned. "Down far."

It took her a moment to gather her wits, then she nodded. "To the Hollow."

He nodded. "Yes." And he gestured again.

Taking in a breath Avis stepped out in front of him, raising her head just a little. As she did she was able to peer over the balcony of the upper floor hall, where the stairway came up to. It looked down into the main hall, with the vast marble floor and exquisite sculptures. Before an old mirror Vitruvion stood, tugging at his shirt beneath his long coat. He twisted this way and that, ensuring his entrance to the Hollow would be grand indeed.

When the clack of Avis' claws began to be heard he turned around. He eyed her on the broad stairs, closely followed as she was by Brer. Without much of an expression he waited for her, taking up his cane which he had left to the side. He rolled back his shoulders. Avis felt a knot tighten in her stomach, feeling odd because of what they were about to do. As she came to slow by where Vitruvion was she shot a look into his eyes, and he responded by twisting around. He started out, walking whilst his cane tapped on the ground.

Avis breathed in, quickly as she was sandwiched between Brer and Vitruvion. Tugging her cloak around her, she breathed in slowly, wondering what it would be to see Blaze as she was now, with her new life and new 'freedoms'.

The grand doors opened, revealing the outside. A soft wind whistled, playing with the soft feathers at the nape of her neck. Leaves rattled together, whispering a line of good words towards a carriage - the carriage - sitting in the driveway with two horses tossing their heads.

A tall elf that Avis knew as one of the stewards of the mansion hurried forwards to open the carriage door. Avis paused as Vitruvion stepped directly forth, heading right for the interior. In that moment she honestly did not know where she stood. Was she still a captive enough to go within the confines of the carriage itself, to be kept there for security - or was she a proper member of Vitruvion's household, expected to ride upfront. She had seen many a noble lord with his servants at the head near the driver, or struggling to hold onto the back of the carriage. Was her position now a servant or was she still not trusted, that she needed to be watched steadily?

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

The question was quickly answered for her. "Stare. Inside."

She looked up to where Vitruvion was settling within it. So, she wasn't trusted. That or she was still considered liable to escape. Sucking in a breath and letting it out as a sigh, Avis walked over and clambered inside. She was surprised to hear the door close behind her, and not to see Brer climb in also but instead appear as a shadow making his way to the back.

With quite some surprise she looked to Vitruvion, settling into the seat opposite him. As she did the carriage rocked into motion. He saw the way she confusedly expressed herself and smiled with amusement. There was a moment of silence where his eyes drilled into her and she had the uncanny feeling he was reading her thoughts.

"It is that I do not trust you enough," he answered her question. "But in time, as a member of my household, you will be expected to sit out."

She kept his eyes on him for a while, not sure what to feel. Then she glanced away, letting out a slow grumbling breath. "Are you going to fucking blindfold me again on the way in?"

"The need to blindfold you has passed. At some point you will likely need to know the exact route in and out for your own."

She blinked, staring at him. When would it get to the point that she would be getting out on her own? He had just said he did not trust her enough to be outside of the carriage. When Vitruvion did not say anything else Avis leant back, clacking her beak together with agitation.

"Stop that, Stare. You know I dislike it. Your curse words are something that can be beneficial even, depending on the situation, but your beak issue," he frowned. "It irritates me."

"There are a lot of things that irritate you," she replied, her voice thick.

"Indeed," he said, not even needing to pretend to not be bothered by her comment. "And I require you to learn them and alter your behaviours thusly."

She picked at the hem of her cloak. "I am not magical."

He arched an eyebrow. "That is up for debate."

Suddenly it felt like her heart stopped beating. At least her breathing did as she held it in her chest, both deep black eyes widenening, then fixating. A myriad of emotions flashed through them - shock, confusion, stress, disbelief, then incredulity. Shock and confusion due to the fact she had never been magical, had never shown any hint of being magical as she was growing up. Stress, because she knew her eyes had some ability, and the thought of them actually being connected to magic make her begin to panic. Where was she supposed to start? Disbelief because, she could not have magic, for the Hollow disallowed it. Only Vitruvion and his sister Ventrua's magic was able to work for they were the source of the powerful spell that banned all other magic from operating within. Any magic of any type. Therefore it left Avis incredulous for there could not be a way that she could possibly have developed magic, especially within the Hollow.

Not to mention that magic was rare within kenku.

Vitruvion's eyes glinted. "You do not believe it, I see. And for the reasons you have deduced in your mind you would usually be correct. However, I have theories."

Avis sat forwards, genuinely concerned. What the hell was going on with her stare had never been answered and now she desperately wanted answers.

"What theories?"

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

The half-celestial crossed his legs. "Those are for mine to query until I find the correct one."

Immediately Avis was frowning, eyes dark and annoyance rising. "It is my body. My 'powers' or whatever you want to call them."

"Partially correct," he inclined his head. "Your abilities are yours, but your body is at least in part mine. And your abilities are mine to do with as I see fit."

She felt entirely irritated. "Vitruvion, I want to know what is going on here. Magic doesn't make sense, I'm a kenku for one, and then Hollow-"

He interrupted her, with a rapid response. "There are exceptions to the magic-cancelling spell I cast on the Hollow."

This was the second statement to catch her off guard. She stared, her beak opening in astonishment. "What?"

Vitruvion smiled. "As I said there are exceptions but they are extremely rare and have to follow a series of strict criteria, which I myself control. In this fashion, if you are able to do magic it makes you a very unique individual indeed."

"What strict criteria?" She asked, her eyes huge and her breathing going erratic. "What sort of unique-"

"Stare, have I not made it obvious that I will not reveal that right now? I have my suspicions and they are mine to keep until I determine which is correct. I do not want to raise hope, cause speculation." He looked directly at her, raising a hand to point a finger with challenge to her heart. "And this is to remain an entire secret between us. All that we speak of, all the developments your power is taking you, you will not tell anyone about it."

Avis narrowed her eyes but said nothing. It was not like she had many to tell anyway. The only people she would have considered were Brer and possibly Blaze - Vitruvion's currently longest surviving 'guest' in the Hollow.

"I mean it when I say it," he looked at her seriously. "You are not to tell anyone."

She huffed a breath, leaning back, but keeping her eye contact with him. One other thing about her power was that it never seemed to effect Vitruvion. It gave him more power over her and made him all the more mysterious.

"Stare, can I have some form of verbal confirmation please that you understand?"

Avis clacked her tongue loudly on the side of her mouth. But she granted him a small nod and a grunt. "I won't tell anyone, not that I have many to tell."

"Good, because if I find you have them there will be Hadia to pay."

"You say that about everything," she folded her arms.

"That is because I mean it," he raised a finger in the air, smiling. "I can bring fire and brimstone on you." He paused, reaching through the ring briefly to find an area of exposed flesh and nip at it lightly.

Avis jumped, a scowl in her eyes as she felt the pain. Her hands clutched at the throbbing area, though it was quickly dying away. "I do not need a demonstration," she snapped.

The half-celestial gave his angelic, godly smile. "Ah but sometimes it is good to have a reminder, my dear."

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

True to his word, Vitruvion did not blindfold her. Instead he led her from the carriage out to the front of a large stone building that Avis recognised as an older part of the city. It was also fairly devoid of any loud bustling crowds. The streets therefore were quiet, with only a few couples and gang members stalking the streets. The building itself was a broad-faced place, with small windows and lichen growing thick upon the stone. Age was clear in its work, for cracks were prevalent and dirt clung in tight bunches. A small but double door stood as the entrance, facing directly onto the street, wooden and reinforced with iron. Aside from that, however, this place looked as if it was the dingiest, grimiest pub.

Avis raised her brow, turning back around to look at Vitruvion. He chuckled a little at her expression, and strode forth to rap on the door with the top of his cane. Glancing around Avis began to consider that it would in fact be a good time to attempt a run, but her usual trepidations stopped her. No matter where she went, Vitruvion would easily find her. And besides, Brer was stepping heavily down from the back of the carriage, unbuckling the mattock as he did.

A creak and the door opened, revealing a short, skinny man who looked less like a guard and more like a secretary. He wore a pair of pinz-nez on the end of his long nose. With one look up at Vitruvion he nodded and stepped back, no words coming out of his mouth. Vitruvion stepped right in, not even pausing to gesture for Avis to follow him. Instead she used her own incentive, stuck between the door and a giant. She folded her arms and stalked into the dank building, her claws clacking on the ground. It took a moment for the man to realise that he had seen her before, but that time blindfolded and dressed in a mountain of rope and chains. She quirked the corner of her mouth up into a smile, and gave him a sly wink.

"Stare, stop showing off and hurry up."

She looked up and saw Vitruvion over the far side of the large, dingy and sparse entrance room. He stood beside a closed door, his eyebrows crushed and his expression frowning with impatience.

"Stare!"

Rolling her eyes she twisted around and headed after him, picking up her feet. "I'm coming," she grunted.

When she got to him, he stepped around her and nudged her forwards with his cane. She stumbled forwards slightly, catching herself with a step. This she turned into a movement, and soon she was walking ahead, Vitruvion close behind. Brer stepped in behind after that and they started their way down, Avis taking point. Vitruvion carefully guided her through the myriad of stairs, rooms and corridors, murmuring quietly vocally, and eventually only into her mind. It was when they were descending the final stair to the great mess hall of the guards that she paused.

The last time she had come here with sight was through the door at the opposite end of the room. That was a large, heavy and iron door, without windows. It had a massive padlock on the current side, bolted. That had been an addition after Avis' escape attempt had led her into this room, and then collapsed to the floor. Since then, though the security of the Hollow had simply got tighter hence the padlock now this side of the door.

As she descended a score of eyes turned to her. Avis paused, eyes growing large as she stopped on the steps, clawed hands around her. Silence fell, and bodies froze, going from casual conversation to 'what the hell' looks. Her beak parted slightly, as she felt the stab of anxiety run through her and she ducked her head. Out of the corner of her eye she saw hands inch towards weapons on hips and tables.

"For the sake of Hadia," Vitruvion's voice appeared above her. She turned her head and saw him, a couple of steps above her, disapproval in his eyes. But for once it wasn't for her. Instead he was focusing on ... The room. He sighed, coming further down and placing a hand on her shoulder. "All of you should know by now that Stare is a permanent part of my business household. She is no longer a guest here, but a respected member of my society. Any hands laid on her, either for sex or for other matters will be subject to me." He paused, and encouraged her forewards. She stumbled down the last few steps in an awkward manner, a growl in her throat. "Think of her as my servant, the same level as one of you, not as a guest here."

"Except you don't pay me," Avis muttered.

Vitruvion paused, hearing what she said. Others near the bottom of the stairs heard and they twisted up mouths into amused grins. The half-celestial pretended to think for a moment, and ended up nodding.

"That is true. I don't, do I. Well, then, you are more of my slave, then."

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Hair Color
    Black (feathers)
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10 and 80 lb
    Job

He threw a pleasant smile at her as he passed by. She scowled, taking a moment to glare at the men who were still grinning.

"It's not funny," she growled, and then stalked off after Vitruvion.

By the time they had passed through the throngs of bodies, stools, drink and tables, the majority of the men had gone back to their idle chatter. The door at the end of the hall also was open, a man having stood up and taken out a large key. Avis eyed it warily, wondering if this really was just an elaborate trap to bring her back into the Hollow. But then she considered, and she realised Vitruvion wouldn't have gone through the charade of an act. He would have simply dragged her here and told her flat out.

"Indeed I would," he said behind her ear.

Twisting her head around she caught him in an angry eye. "Why do you always end up in my head in the most irritating of circumstances?" She snapped quietly.

Her response was a chilling stab at the base of her spine. Not so harsh as she send her reeling, but enough pain and cold to cause her to inhale a gasp, and miss a step or two.

She partially collapsed into the wall. They were between the main gate and the next one in which Avis knew there was a small guard hall. Luckily the guard was on the other side, so her stagger went unknown but to Vitruvion and Brer, who lumbered behind.

"Fuck you," she grumbled back to him, as she attempted to alight herself. "You're-"

"A bastard, I know," Vitruvion wearily replied. "Really Stare, you must come up some other insults. Now cease this for now, I want to make it seem as if you respect me, at the very least. This is where I am obeyed, by Brer, by the guards and most especially by you. So unless you want to spend the evening a cripple then behave yourself."

She sucked in breath, then steeled herself to swing back onto her feet. A few steps of stumble, and then she was back to walking normally. Up to the next door.

The door was opened, revealing two guards in the hall. One raised an eyebrow at the sight of Avis, but that was all the reaction. Vitruvion nudged past her and as he did he spoke into her mind.

Remember. Behave.

She sighed, grumbling under her breath but followed him in silence. Clearly he wanted nothing more than to make a good impression, to make it seem he was in control of her in this, his empire under the earth.

So she said nothing as they continued the journey down through the catacombs. All the doors were locked behind them, securing their path. Avis' heart beat solidly as she descended into the hell she had just escaped.

Doors began to appear on either side. The start of Vitruvion's own world; his chambers. The man himself strode with confidence, turning abruptly half way down. He opened a door, and the memories of her past lives were suddenly shoved into her face. A room of tables, of stockades and ropes. A room of chairs to secure a victim in, of manacles, all arranged in a neat, though fearful way.

Avis' jaw tightened.

Vitruvion stopped suddenly, and tilted his head to her. She ceased to move also, on edge because of where they were. She felt a light bump against her and a grumbled, "Sorry," as Brer was caught off guard.

"Stare, you will stay here until I come back. Brer come with me."

He turned to walk off.

Immediately Avis was concerned. "You want me to stay here? By myself?" She was uneasy, tense due to the area.

Vitruvion looked back at her, amusement in his eyes. "Exactly what I said, Stare. I have business to attend to, and will return. Until then, stay here. Yes?"

He waited for her reply. Letting out a slow sigh she folded her arms. "Fine."

"It should be fine," he nodded. "In fact it should always be. This is how it works now, Stare. I should never need to lock a door behind you or bind you, so. Do as I say. Stay here."

With that he was striding the rest of the way, grabbing a door and walking through. Brer threw him a grin before he left.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast