Dark brown, unruly
    Eye Color
    Left eye: black, right eye: dark red
    Build
    Height: 6 foot 8, Weight: 230lbs.
    Job
    Freelance Jack-Of-All-Trades

Solo role playing

How does it work here? I just simply role play with myself, basically? Make a thread, respond to it myself, then again and again? I am just making sure, before I make one.

Non Timebo Mala
    EXP: 126,303, Level: 15
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 8,697
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,697
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Yes, you just play with yourself.

Basically, only you tell the story. You can always create NPCs to accompany you and enrich the story though. I personally always found solos rather boring. I mean, Althanas is all about interaction and writing with other people and sharing the experience with them. But sometimes you just can't do that I guess.
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

GP

Name
    Ravenok Kinnes
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, unruly
    Eye Color
    Build
    Job

Well, I just wanted to do something on my own, mainly because I have a lot of time on my hands right now, and I am forced to wait due to all the people that I am role playing with not being here. I'll probably just see how this one goes, and if it's good I might do another.

GP

Name
    Faeron Silver Stone (The Blade)
    Race
    Aeromancer
    Hair Color
    Brown with light brown streaks.
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    6'2/148
    Job
    Traveling Mage

I personally always found solos rather boring.
    So true, sometimes though you have to, if you want to have an advancement in your level. For Seremela I have to do a solo for a while until she post in there, I believe it's challenging me, pulling me out of my usual style.

GP

Name
    Ravenok Kinnes
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, unruly
    Eye Color
    Build
    Job

Hmm... Well I decided to try it. Check it out if you want, link is in my signature. I don't think it's going that well, but, I leave those decisions to the readers.

I am just doing it because all the other threads I am in are progressing rather slow, I am a person who is on a lot, so I have a lot of free time while on here.

GP

Name
    Rajani Aishwara
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Dark Brown
    Build
    5'10" / 140 lbs
    Job
    Entrepreneur

Solo Questing is alright. I kind of like to use it as a showcase of my writing talent. Might I suggest writing the entire thing first, then after the initial post advertising it to fellow players. This way the entire thing will be ready to go when everyone demands more.

I know it's kind of petty. In fact it's really petty, but it allows people to get accustomed to you your writing style, and it shows that you're dependable.
    Entrepreneur - a person who organizes and manages any enterprise, esp. a business, usually with considerable initiative and risk.

Cast & Crew of The Peregrine
    Captain - Rajani Aishwara
    First Mate - Aton Mira
    Helmswoman - Tiberia Natalya
    Head Cook - Mohana Colville
    Deck Hand - Gaius Dove

EXP: 17,010, Level: 5
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next level: 2,990
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,990
    GP

Name
    Atzar Kellon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Long Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'1" 180 lbs.
    Job
    Mage

Personally, I usually prefer to write solos over group quests. That way, I can write whenever the motivation takes me - I don't have to wait for somebody else. I've noticed that having to wait for somebody else to post can really kill the momentum of a quest.

Besides, writing solos seems more pure to me - the story is completely under my control, and it's entirely up to me how things get done.

If it's with people that keep up with me, however, collaborative work is still a lot of fun and it's exciting to see how things turn out.

Non Timebo Mala
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Atzar Kellon
    Personally, I usually prefer to write solos over group quests. That way, I can write whenever the motivation takes me - I don't have to wait for somebody else. I've noticed that having to wait for somebody else to post can really kill the momentum of a quest.

Besides, writing solos seems more pure to me - the story is completely under my control, and it's entirely up to me how things get done.

If it's with people that keep up with me, however, collaborative work is still a lot of fun and it's exciting to see how things turn out.
    I guess it's all down to personal preference. I personally see no point in participating in a community such as Althanas if I'm going to write by myself. If I wanted to do that, I would write stuff in Word. Yes, you get feeback from the judge, but that's an opinon of a single person. When you write with other people, you are facing a number of different opinons. Besides, most people around here have a tendency not to read the stuff they are not in anyways (not a good thing, but still very present). With others, I not only share the experience, but I get the chance to learn something new every day, observing different styles and different characters. Judgments are a good overwiev of what's good and what's not in your writing, but I learned even more from my fellow rpers, reading their posts before I reply to them.

But to each his own.

GP

Name
    Eltrian Cadarius
    Race
    Human / Doppelganger
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'10", 175 lbs

I don't see one method or the other as being superior. Letho, you raise a good point in mentioning that it seems silly to join a writing community (especially one with as much talent as Althanas) and then keep things all to yourself.

But it's also worth noting that some types of stories, particularly ones that may be very central to your character's development, are better suited to solo quests, since it allows the author total control over all aspects of the story.

Other times, you have a more generalized outline of what you want to happen, in which case having others participate will help to flesh out that story, and more than likely will make it more interesting than what it would have been if you wrote it alone.

I don't think you should stick to one or the other (solo or group), but rather try both occasionally, because it makes you think and write in different ways. Solo quests give you more control, but that also means it's more work for you to do; you have to come up with everything that happens, everything that's said, and make it all interesting enough for someone else to read without collapsing from boredom. Group quests take some of the pressure off you, but in that case you have to gauge the actions and reactions of others, and act in a way that allows others to progress. Depending on who you're writing with, that can be very easy or very difficult.

I just started a solo quest because this character is kind of experimental, I've never tried anything quite like it... So before I start to interact with other people's characters, I want to get a feel for how I'm going to present my own.
    Double your pleasure, double your fun!
    It's the statement of the great mint in Doublemint Gum!

"Pursuit of a Shadow" {Solo}

Non Timebo Mala
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    But it's also worth noting that some types of stories, particularly ones that may be very central to your character's development, are better suited to solo quests, since it allows the author total control over all aspects of the story.

Other times, you have a more generalized outline of what you want to happen, in which case having others participate will help to flesh out that story, and more than likely will make it more interesting than what it would have been if you wrote it alone.
    I agree to a certain extent - that's why I mentioned in my first post that sometimes you can't make a group quest. However, I would like to say that including other characters into the development of your own can have awesome benefits. I personally have a character (Jared) whose development was completely linked to one of The Valkyrie. And it worked wonders for us both, getting us two JCs and leading us through five great quests.

My point is, yes, sometimes the story requires you to do it on your own. But if you manage to incorporate others people into such a story, you can enhance the interaction to a whole new level. Of course, it can also backfire at you sometimes. I guess there's always a certain amount of risk involved.
    I don't think you should stick to one or the other (solo or group), but rather try both occasionally, because it makes you think and write in different ways. Solo quests give you more control, but that also means it's more work for you to do; you have to come up with everything that happens, everything that's said, and make it all interesting enough for someone else to read without collapsing from boredom. Group quests take some of the pressure off you, but in that case you have to gauge the actions and reactions of others, and act in a way that allows others to progress. Depending on who you're writing with, that can be very easy or very difficult.
    You see, I tend to disagree on the pressure issue. I always feel more pressure when I write with other people, especially if I'm leading the quest. The feeling of letting somebody down by writing a bad post or neglecting to post at all, it's a constant voice in my head that reminds me to give it all I got. And that's the drive that makes me excel more often then not. I like that kind of pressure.

I do agree that nobody should stick with either one or the other though. A person should strive to achieve some sort of balance. Of course, in a community with so many great writers, it's hard to resist the temptation of writing with all of them.
    Last edited by Letho; 12-01-06 at 05:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast