Hair Color
    Dark brown, unruly
    Eye Color
    Left eye: black, right eye: dark red
    Build
    Height: 6 foot 8, Weight: 230lbs.
    Job
    Freelance Jack-Of-All-Trades

I'm neutral here. For oneI have to go in 5 minutes, so no time to type a long speech. o for now all I say is,

I agree with everyone.

Seeya later!

EXP: 25,609, Level: 5
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next level: 1,391
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,391
    GP

Name
    Sorahn un' Rohnahmeh
    Race
    Ranoan
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Deep Blue
    Build
    5'10"/140 lbs
    Job
    Chieftain of The Red Hand

lol

I like to write quests with groups of people and do battles sometimes. You do get that interaction and the story ends up progressing really... cool... ly... <_<

Like right now me and Koran are doin a battle for the first time in ages for both of us. It's ending up really awesome cause me and him kind of have a history together from other threads, and we can play on that in this thread. Also you have to adapt and write off of what each other is doing. It makes it a whole different game.

On the other hand, my series (which I'll probably combine to one thread) Rehn Mehnas is entirely solo. I did this mainly because it involves a huge huge character development and... frankly doesn't have room for other players in the plot. This plot has been developing in my head for... probably a good year now and I want to do it exactly the way that I want.

The result of this will be a major change for Sorahn, in his appearance, abilities, and even his character. Once that has happened, I can return to doing quests with others. It's like the solo lets me write this huge epic story exactly the way that I want it to happen, because it's necessary for my character's development, which in turn enables other threads with other people.

There's also some other situations when you can do plenty of character development with another person, so it really just depends on the story and where you want to go with it.

GP

Name
    Ravenok Kinnes
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, unruly
    Eye Color
    Build
    Job

True, true. It's all about character development. That's what mine is sort of doing, I mean, I probably won't make it into a series like you did, but it is going to show the reader his true personality, how he really acts. Solo role playing lets you focus on your character, and your character alone, you don't have to worry about other characters taking the scene because you're character will always be the center. At least, he/she should be.

GP

Name
    Eltrian Cadarius
    Race
    Human / Doppelganger
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'10", 175 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Letho
    My point is, yes, sometimes the story requires you to do it on your own. But if you manage to incorporate others people into such a story, you can enhance the interaction to a whole new level. Of course, it can also backfire at you sometimes. I guess there's always a certain amount of risk involved.
    Alright, I concede that point. I think (as I believe was mentioned earlier by someone else) it's also a matter of personal preference- for my own part, I'm quite vain, so I like getting to be the center of attention. What can I say, I'm an only child.

You see, I tend to disagree on the pressure issue. I always feel more pressure when I write with other people, especially if I'm leading the quest. The feeling of letting somebody down by writing a bad post or neglecting to post at all, it's a constant voice in my head that reminds me to give it all I got. And that's the drive that makes me excel more often then not. I like that kind of pressure.
    I guess it's a different kind of pressure. I'd like to think, anyway, that I "give it all I got" regardless of whether it's a group or solo quest-- but, at the same time, I haven't written very many solo quests. And again, I'm very vain, so maybe I only think that because I think I'm wonderful at everything I do. I am totally willing to accept that as a (extremely likely) possibility.
    Double your pleasure, double your fun!
    It's the statement of the great mint in Doublemint Gum!

"Pursuit of a Shadow" {Solo}

EXP: 1,200, Level: 1
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 800
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 800
    GP

Name
    Doji Ki
    Race
    nine tails
    Hair Color
    jet black hair and fur, silver tips on the tails
    Eye Color
    Violet
    Build
    the tails add some weight
    Job
    kenshi

I've done a few solos and I'm pretty much done with them. I'm with Letho on it being a writing community that is more about interaction of writers instead of just having the judge though I Am a little more extreme in I'm pretty much done with solos, they haven't been very fun and the end usually leaves me cold. I just don't like writing by myself anymore and prefer to have others with me since they give their support and make it worth it to me.
    Voted 2006's Cutest character yay I won an award^^

God bless me I'm a free man
    With no place free to go- Neko Case

level 6

GP

Name
    Ravenok Kinnes
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, unruly
    Eye Color
    Build
    Job

True. I just felt like I should experience it before deciding whether I like it or not. In which case, I kind of enjoy it. You don't have to wait for anyone, you can come on and type whenever you feel.

I certainly do love community role playing, though. I'd probably have to say I like both an equal amount. They both have their ups and downs, but in the end I like them the same.

EXP: 25,487, Level: 6
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next level: 1,513
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,513
    GP

Name
    Xanbata Grim
    Race
    Vampire

View Profile
    Personally I agree with a lot of whats said though I would like to add a few things.

Solo's I like because you can expriment with a different style of writting or without having to worry about letting somebody down due to a low score. I also find they provide less preasure than group quests because you don't feel forced to post at a certain rate or certain level of quality. The only writer you have to please in solos is yourself.

Group quests I like because of how spontanious they can be. Anybody whose ever done a group quest with me knows that I rarely have anything planned for them outside of maybe a basic plot or a few key events. Also that spontainiousness can be a good thing. Case in point my two most recent group threads "Return of the monster" and its sequel "Escape from Radasanth" which basically started as me, Storm and Osato saying "were bored lets start some random thread together" and it quickly turned into a multi thread epic with the second part scoring an 80 (though sadly not making Judges Choice, that award still eludes me) and a third part coming soon, which led to some pretty big character development.

EXP: 25,609, Level: 5
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next level: 1,391
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,391
    GP

Name
    Sorahn un' Rohnahmeh
    Race
    Ranoan
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Deep Blue
    Build
    5'10"/140 lbs
    Job
    Chieftain of The Red Hand

Quote Originally Posted by grim137
    Solo's I like because you can expriment with a different style of writting or without having to worry about letting somebody down due to a low score. I also find they provide less preasure than group quests because you don't feel forced to post at a certain rate or certain level of quality. The only writer you have to please in solos is yourself..
    I know exactly what you mean here. Let me just go ahead and say that I believe that while scores may be a good indicator of a thread's quality in relation to other threads, it's not much more than that. I think too many people write with the sole purpose of getting good scores. I know because I used to do it. I got so caught up in writing posts that were of awesome quality in order to get a good score, that I ended up never posting. Finally I decided that the whole reason I'm on here is to have fun, so I stopped worrying about pleasing others and just tried to have a good time. Whatever score results is what happens.

This isn't to say I'm opposed to the judging system. I love getting feedback on my writing and finding ways to improve it, which is the whole point. But I had to remember that this is in fact a game, and not an English class assignment, which is what it eventually turned into... a chore.

NOW... none of that has anything to do with the topic of this thread, whatsoever, so I'm gonna stop now.

Hero of Eternium
    GP

Name
    Ifrit Obsidian
    Race
    Marquee Cambion (demon crossbreed between a royal/powerful demon and a female human)
    Hair Color
    Obsidian Black
    Eye Color
    Blood red
    Build
    Height: 5'11" Weight: 182 lbs
    Job
    Bounty Hunter/ Captain of the Seventh Company of the Bladewraiths

I believe that writing a solo thread is just like writing a book, and I approach with that same attitude. While right now i'm just doing a so-so solo (Dark Satisfaction...), I write much better material on my computer at home.

The positives are that when writing a solo, it is just you and your imagination. Unless constrained by some other rules, you are bassically the god of that world, or the "Dungeon Master". You control your own NPC's without interrupting other forum-goers' actions and stories, and thus create a mini-world within the main world that no one else has to abide by.

However one of the risks of this is what role-player's call "powergaming". A person could make their character inhumanly powerful and seem to destroy everything in his/her/its path, and disrupt the way the entire world is played. Of course, there are you moderators and admins for such people, but it is still a major inconvenience.

But I believe that role-playing with other's is easier. Although you don't have control over what is happening, bouncing off other people's ideas can create a fun and unique world in which anything can happen. Plus, it eliminates those who wish to disrupt this fun with their powergaming.

so really, i'm on the fence with this issue. I like to write alone, but like to role-play with others. Hmm...

GP

Name
    Séreméla Carnesîr Baxter
    Race
    Elf/Human
    Hair Color
    Jet black with crimson red streaks
    Eye Color
    Bright blue with crimson red outlining
    Build
    5'6" 100 lbs.
    Job
    Magical Archer

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBlade
    So true, sometimes though you have to, if you want to have an advancement in your level. For Seremela I have to do a solo for a while until she post in there, I believe it's challenging me, pulling me out of my usual style.

teehee you would use me...and yeah I am sorry it's taking so long, depending on how this judging thing goes I should be able to post and start the new quest with you and ruben by monday...next friday at the latest.

Soloing can sometimes be boring but it allows you to go at your own pace which is nice sometimes for us in school and such. And you can do your own little thing and not have to worry about somebody changing something up a little and making your first plan change up...I prefer to solo, but I know when I am going to need help in quests that I am going up against crazy odds. That's when I dip into the Althanas pool of people lol
    Level 0

Happiness Before Heartache

Spy Vs. Spy

The Journey for the Eternal Tap

The truth is simple...the power most seek can be found within themselves. Those who seek absolute power are fools. And in the end we all pay a price for our actions with out escape...

Book 1: The Book of Beginnings
    Cho-Ko-Nus...currently owe 1300 gold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12