Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    That's a shame, because with Eltrian's history he'll basically be arrested on sight if he ever sets foot in Corone again... Makes it a bit more difficult to come up with viable reasons to RP there.

Personally, I don't think that it would be such a bad idea to semi-finalize the planet. One may argue that it limits the way in which a player can write their character's history, but on the contrary, I think it would help keep people creative. It's so easy to just say "so-and-so comes from such-and-such a village in a faraway land," and tailor the environment to match what they have in mind for their character. I can say this because I've done it myself plenty of times. It's an easy way out.
    I don't think it's an easy way out. On the contrary; if you want to create a believable background not linked to the known info/continents, you have to work hard, almost as hard as a continent writer. It's an easy way out if you create some archetype background from which your character comes from, but if you want to be original, it's anything but easy. I would know; all of my characters come from the "unknown" lands of Althanas and I'm still rather uncertain that I succeeded in making something unique.
    [ramble]But to limit people to at least vaguely defined continents and such would force them to be creative with their backstories. It forces you to be specific instead of generic, and ultimately provides for a more interesting experience later. Someone with no connection whatsoever to any of the existing countries won't have any interest in their politics, wars, daily goings-on, etc... But if you have someone born and raised in a certain country which is hostile towards another certain country, you can introduce things like prejudice that help flesh-out and humanize your character. Someone raised in Alerar will probably have an instant dislike of someone raised in Salvar; and the process of either overcoming that prejudice or even nourishing that prejudice to create an intense rivalry can really develop some character. That's just one example, of course.

Naturally, room should be left for creativity (allowing room for additions and expansion, kind of like Akashima) but some generalized guidelines would be, I think, a positive change.[/ramble]
    Isn't that pretty much what we have now? People that want to use the info can, and those that don't want to or don't think it would fit their characters can make a background of their own. I agree that finalizing some things would contribute to one form of creativity, but only at expense of another. Besides, I don't think Other Regions are such an issue. Majority of people include the local info in one way or the other.

Besides, I think that finalizing is not doable ICly. Althanas is a fantasy land currently in some sort of hybrid medieval times. And during such times, the entire world physically cannot be fully discovered yet. So you either make it rather unbelievable and say that it is fully discovered, or you have to disallow people that come from the "unknown" regions of Althanas. It's a lose-lose situation.
    Corone is the most active region because it's at the top. I know that may be hard to take, but it's true. Look at every other forum and you'll see that the topmost in character forum is always the most active. PP and Scara being under different playing conditions don't count. If you want the other regions to experience good activity put each of them at the top for about six months.
    I think it's rather unfair to say that it's mostly so only because Corone is on top of the pile, and I'm not saying this because I'm the writer of the continent. All of the other regions are extreme in one way or the other. Raiaera with the elven flowery dominance and song magic, Alerar with early technology and dark elves, Fallien with its xenophobic desert folk, Haidia being an underground nation of demons... Corone, on the other hand, is a little bit of everything. There, people don't have to worry too much whether or not they can fit the story into the environment, it gives them more freedom, while on the other hand, they have enough details if they do want to include them. I reckon that has to have something with the activity as well.
    Last edited by Letho; 12-05-06 at 05:15 AM.
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

GP

Name
    Zachary "Talon" Talion
    Race
    Human (Deimos)
    Hair Color
    Jet Black
    Eye Color
    Emerald Green
    Build
    5'9" / 187 lbs
    Job
    Assassin

People roleplay in Corone mainly because they are lazy. I admit that I am one of those people. People are too lazy to read through the posts of information in Raiaera and try to roleplay the region correctly. Corone requires no correctness. As long as you say that there is a large city with people, you pretty much can do whatever.
    ~0~

"Pure power does not discriminate. All power is destined to destroy."

~~~~

Underground (Featuring Koran and Ravenok Kinnes)
    Everyone's Treasure (Featuring Sorahn)
    [54] Logarthu Manor (Featuring Daven Logarthu)

~~~~

The Hand of the Assassin's Guild
    Guild Funds: 0

EXP: 1,200, Level: 1
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 800
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 800
    GP

Name
    Doji Ki
    Race
    nine tails
    Hair Color
    jet black hair and fur, silver tips on the tails
    Eye Color
    Violet
    Build
    the tails add some weight
    Job
    kenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Talon
    People roleplay in Corone mainly because they are lazy. I admit that I am one of those people. People are too lazy to read through the posts of information in Raiaera and try to roleplay the region correctly. Corone requires no correctness. As long as you say that there is a large city with people, you pretty much can do whatever.
    You're pretty much right but I think it's a flaw with the other regions. Corone is flexible so people can use it to what they like. I really don't want to worry about some things that have no part of my adventure. I'll use Fallien's Exit pass as an example. Player have to RP getting one or the consequences of not having one or they take a hit and some pointless complaints from the judge. That kind of thing could be ignored if I don't want to bother with the xenophobia side of the region and just concentrate on the Arabian Nights with a feminist twist. There's just too much of the my way or the highway attitude with these regions that makes them hard to want to play in them, reputation or no.
    Voted 2006's Cutest character yay I won an award^^

God bless me I'm a free man
    With no place free to go- Neko Case

level 6

GP

Name
    Zachary "Talon" Talion
    Race
    Human (Deimos)
    Hair Color
    Jet Black
    Eye Color
    Emerald Green
    Build
    5'9" / 187 lbs
    Job
    Assassin

But that's life. If every region was as easy to roleplay in as Corone is, well we'd have 7 Corones. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing to roleplay within your comfort zone, but if you don't challenge yourself as a writer, by putting yourself in those places where you may have to do a bit of reading of what the writers have in order to get it all correct, then you will never get to experience all that Althanas has to offer. Which is a shame because there are a bunch of good regions out there.
    ~0~

"Pure power does not discriminate. All power is destined to destroy."

~~~~

Underground (Featuring Koran and Ravenok Kinnes)
    Everyone's Treasure (Featuring Sorahn)
    [54] Logarthu Manor (Featuring Daven Logarthu)

~~~~

The Hand of the Assassin's Guild
    Guild Funds: 0

GP

Name
    Rajani Aishwara
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Dark Brown
    Build
    5'10" / 140 lbs
    Job
    Entrepreneur

Quote Originally Posted by Reiko
    You're pretty much right but I think it's a flaw with the other regions. Corone is flexible so people can use it to what they like. I really don't want to worry about some things that have no part of my adventure. I'll use Fallien's Exit pass as an example. Player have to RP getting one or the consequences of not having one or they take a hit and some pointless complaints from the judge. That kind of thing could be ignored if I don't want to bother with the xenophobia side of the region and just concentrate on the Arabian Nights with a feminist twist. There's just too much of the my way or the highway attitude with these regions that makes them hard to want to play in them, reputation or no.
    That's a shame. I like the material. I see the cultural information of the other nations as inspiration. As I read all these tidbits about every region and its people thousands of quest ideas come to mind, which is in my opinion their sole purpose. Try reading the info threads the next time you're in the middle of a writer's block. It helps. For me it encourages creativity.

However, to an extent you're very much right, Reiko. Fallien's Exit pass is tedious because it hinders creativity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Letho
    I think it's rather unfair to say that it's mostly so only because Corone is on top of the pile, and I'm not saying this because I'm the writer of the continent.
    I'm sorry if I offend, Letho. I didn't mean to imply that it's the only reason Corone is active, but it is a large factor. When people read things, they do it from top to bottom. Not from the middle where Salvar is, not from the bottom where Istraloth is. Naturally they start playing from the top, and when new arrivals see that, they start from the top. It's a horrid cycle.

Another large factor, it seems here, is the region writer, and I don't say this for flattery or redemption. These boards and employment koisks make me feel like I have a lasting effect on the cannon around me, as opposed to a distant High Bard Council and an incommunicado Dark Elf Queen. Thus I am encouraged to stay in Corone. From what I've read and heard it seemed like the Tular Plains were going to be quite active, and then the region's writer retired. I bet if you give a region a dedicated writer who is involved and makes the players feel like they have power, it will be rewarded with activity.
    Last edited by Rajani Aishwara; 12-05-06 at 10:24 AM.
    Entrepreneur - a person who organizes and manages any enterprise, esp. a business, usually with considerable initiative and risk.

Cast & Crew of The Peregrine
    Captain - Rajani Aishwara
    First Mate - Aton Mira
    Helmswoman - Tiberia Natalya
    Head Cook - Mohana Colville
    Deck Hand - Gaius Dove

EXP: 17,010, Level: 5
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next level: 2,990
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,990
    GP

Name
    Atzar Kellon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Long Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'1" 180 lbs.
    Job
    Mage

I think it's rather unfair to say that it's mostly so only because Corone is on top of the pile, and I'm not saying this because I'm the writer of the continent. All of the other regions are extreme in one way or the other. Raiaera with the elven flowery dominance and song magic, Alerar with early technology and dark elves, Fallien with its xenophobic desert folk, Haidia being an underground nation of demons... Corone, on the other hand, is a little bit of everything. There, people don't have to worry too much whether or not they can fit the story into the environment, it gives them more freedom, while on the other hand, they have enough details if they do want to include them. I reckon that has to have something with the activity as well.
    You're right, saying 'only' is a bit much.

That being said, a new player will likely read through the continents in order to find out where he/she wants to place his character. The fact that Corone is the place where nearly any character concept/microcosm can exist without conflict and is the first one that people will read kind of diverts needed attention from other continents.

EDIT: In more recent news...

The Exit Pass draws a mixed reaction from me. For one thing, it's one more color on the realism palette, so to speak. On the other hand, it's been mentioned that it's just tedious having to get around/through it somehow.
    Last edited by Atzar; 12-05-06 at 10:02 AM.

GP

Name
    Séreméla Carnesîr Baxter
    Race
    Elf/Human
    Hair Color
    Jet black with crimson red streaks
    Eye Color
    Bright blue with crimson red outlining
    Build
    5'6" 100 lbs.
    Job
    Magical Archer

All I asked for was the reputation lol...anyway, I don't think it would limit people. I myself have never used the Other Region with any of my characters, although I mainly RP in Salvar because well I love the cold in real life so I want to RP in a place like it. I think if we finalize it will make people more creative because then we would have people coming from the same region...but what would make your new character you unique? You would have to do something to make them stand out in their profile. I think we could get rid of the other regions and then just have a small subforum in each of the regions we already have that would be called something like unmapped so that way people could still make up their own little areas but it would be more or less like their own area within the region.
    Level 0

Happiness Before Heartache

Spy Vs. Spy

The Journey for the Eternal Tap

The truth is simple...the power most seek can be found within themselves. Those who seek absolute power are fools. And in the end we all pay a price for our actions with out escape...

Book 1: The Book of Beginnings
    Cho-Ko-Nus...currently owe 1300 gold

Non Timebo Mala
    EXP: 126,303, Level: 15
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 8,697
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,697
    GP

Name
    Letho Ravenheart
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark brown, turning gray
    Eye Color
    Dark brown
    Build
    6'0''/240 lbs
    Job
    Corone Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Rajani Aishwara
    I'm sorry if I offend, Letho. I didn't mean to imply that it's the only reason Corone is active, but it is a large factor. When people read things, they do it from top to bottom. Not from the middle where Salvar is, not from the bottom where Istraloth is. Naturally they start playing from the top, and when new arrivals see that, they start from the top. It's a horrid cycle.
    Don't worry; no offense taken. I agree it may be a factor, but I figure that most new players read the short descriptions before they look for further info. So already they have a good grasp what each region is about without reading all the info that the continent writers put up. So if somebody made an elf, chances are he would start of in Raiaera regardless of the fact that Corone is on the top spot.
    Another large factor, it seems here, is the region writer, and I don't say this for flattery or redemption. These boards and employment kiosks make me feel like I have a lasting effect on the cannon around me, as opposed to a distant High Bard Council and an incommunicado Dark Elf Queen. Thus I am encouraged to stay in Corone. From what I've read and heard it seemed like the Tular Plains were going to be quite active, and then the region's writer retired. I bet if you give a region a dedicated writer who is involved and makes the players feel like they have power, it will be rewarded with activity.
    I'm glad to hear that. I tried to make the missions board somehow closer to the player ICly and OOCly. They need refreshment though, now that I think about it. A lot of quests were claimed and were never even started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atzar
    EDIT: In more recent news...

The Exit Pass draws a mixed reaction from me. For one thing, it's one more color on the realism palette, so to speak. On the other hand, it's been mentioned that it's just tedious having to get around/through it somehow.
    Well, you don't have to exactly write an essay on how you got an Exit Pass. What I usually do is just mention in my intro that my character had to go through the tribulation of getting the Exit Pass and moving on with the story, spending no more then a paragraph on it. It's a detail that incorporates the story into the background a little bit, but doesn't make a big deal out of it. Of course, you can make it a big deal if you want to, especially if it can enhance the story.

Bottom line is, you can't satisfy everybody. Some people like absolute freedom, some like a more finalized setting, some like to focus on details, some prefer to tell a story with less details and more emotional development, the list goes on. I just think that Althanas as it is now is able to satisfy the majority of people without significantly hindering the creativity of anybody.
    Last edited by Letho; 12-06-06 at 06:22 PM.
    "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming

GP

Name
    Eltrian Cadarius
    Race
    Human / Doppelganger
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5'10", 175 lbs

Bottom line is, you can't satisfy everybody. Some people like absolute freedom, some like a more finalized setting, some like to focus on details, some prefer to tell a story with less details and more emotional development, the list goes on. I just think that Althanas as it is now is able to satisfy the majority of people without significantly hindering the creativity of anybody.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with that one.

I respectfully bow out, my arguments having been soundly defeated.
    Double your pleasure, double your fun!
    It's the statement of the great mint in Doublemint Gum!

"Pursuit of a Shadow" {Solo}

GP

Name
    Rajani Aishwara
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Dark Brown
    Build
    5'10" / 140 lbs
    Job
    Entrepreneur

They need refreshment though, now that I think about it. A lot of quests were claimed and were never even started.
    o_0 Awsome!
    Entrepreneur - a person who organizes and manages any enterprise, esp. a business, usually with considerable initiative and risk.

Cast & Crew of The Peregrine
    Captain - Rajani Aishwara
    First Mate - Aton Mira
    Helmswoman - Tiberia Natalya
    Head Cook - Mohana Colville
    Deck Hand - Gaius Dove

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123