Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5' 6'' 145 lbs

I don't see the merit in a player-run beastiary. If I had my own region, I'd certainly want to keep it consistent by controlling what monsters are in it. Fallien has a submission thread AND a beastiery. Submit some monsters.

If you wrote a Pagoda up and then left the mod team... Chances are we're not using your suggestion. Actually, Atzar and the rest of us are trying to come up with the best possible way to run the Pagoda, so it doesn't get deleted again due to its pure shittiness. Max is in charge of the ToW and evidently does not have much time to work on it. Not to mention we have tournaments to plan and try not to expose more than 1 new feature at a time. We run tournaments rather often, and I think we do quite a bit as it is with all the things going on here on Althanas... You can deal without the Pagoda and the ToW in favor of running tournaments, right? They'll be up eventually and you'll find something else to complain about

Not everybody supports HQ's, so discussions on it often cease after a time until someone brings it up again. Free EXP, gold and the like for being in a PG is something a lot of us gripe about, especially considering mods aren't given any kind of reward for their hard work ^_^ Seems contradictory to give it to someone just for being in a PG that has a HQ, right? Still, wars are completely up to PG leaders to organize and not us. We can't do, like, everything.

As for my suggestions... Re-evaluation of staff again. Perhaps re-evaluation of the way we do lots of things (without all too much structure). Matt's been doing a good job getting us to come up with a tourney schedule for the year, and that's just one of a few schedules I feel we should have. So I'm thankful for that.
    Cold, jade eyes that liquify
    eyes that are merciless,
    staring in mute mockery
    and in mockery of the muteness

EXP: 13,642, Level: 3
    Level completed: 93%, EXP required for next level: 358
    Level completed: 93%,
    EXP required for next level: 358
    GP

Name
    William Steinbock
    Race
    Capra Nubiana
    Hair Color
    Tan/Black
    Eye Color
    Yellow
    Job
    Engineer

As much as I would lobby for a Regional Bestiarity for somewhere other than Fallien ( ), I do realize that on one side, not having it does give you creative license- but that's a double edged sword.

It allows me the freedom to do something like... for example, if I'm writing about a trip through L'Renor Harlilen, having the freedom to say "Okay, well, I got jumped by hyenas here." It certainly fits with the geography and description, and it's something I wouldn't be able to do with a limited bestiarity. So on that aspect, it provides freedom and is positive.

The flip side of that being if it comes to judging and all of a sudden I'm seeing "I find it hard to believe you were attacked by those hyenas, as they've never been seen in Alerar before." On that side, we're in the negative simply because we have no reference point for what we should be using.

So... um... I'm ambivalent about the idea. I just thought I'd throw something like that out for you guys to chew on.
    Level 0
    I do say, my good man, would you happen to have a cigar on you?
    Quests:
    -Hiding In Plain Sight *complete*
    -Venture Into The Dark

ברוך אתה אדוני אלוהינו
    EXP: 9,299, Level: 4
    Level completed: 6%, EXP required for next level: 4,701
    Level completed: 6%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,701
    GP

Name
    Alma Waterstone
    Race
    Human (Q'Doshi Sinai)
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Russet
    Build
    5'4" / 129 lb.
    Job
    Witch

View Profile
    I think the idea of a bestiary is to provide an idea for the types of creatures found in a particular region, as well as specific creatures that absolutely exist and should be watched for in those regions. Like the harpies and Karuku-tal in Fallien. They are creatures that should definitely be watched for, and they provide a general feel to the monsters and races found in the deserts there.
    Current Threads
    Clean and Clear (Solo)

Recently Finished Threads
    Through Forge and Flame (Solo, 77)
    The Rubric: Remeberin Garthabel (1)
    The Memory Man (Closed to Ataraxis, Twylith, and Chucklecut, 68)
    The Fated Embrace (Closed to Vortimo, NSFW, 51)

GP

Name
    Osato Lysser
    Race
    Soulless
    Hair Color
    Brownish, with off white crown
    Eye Color
    Deep blue
    Build
    6' // 195 lbs
    Job
    mercenary

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus
    If you wrote a Pagoda up and then left the mod team... Chances are we're not using your suggestion.
    I wrote up the info and left months later... Max just never put it up when he said he would, which was supposed to be a month after I put it up... don't give me that crap.

And this is a suggestion thread. People are suggesting things, so it'd be appreciated if people would stop arguing against something. This isn't a discussion of ideas. This is what we, as players and members, would like to see...

My suggestions were put forth, not meant to be argued against or for...

Carpetmuncher
    EXP: 1,354, Level: 1
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next level: 646
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next level: 646
    GP

Name
    Luc Kraus
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    5' 6'' 145 lbs

Well, I'm perfectly willing to sit back and allow suggestions as long as they aren't put forth in a somewhat hostile manner. I think a better choice of words in some situations could be the difference between hurt feelings and concerned feedback. That's all. I'm defending my friends and myself.
    Cold, jade eyes that liquify
    eyes that are merciless,
    staring in mute mockery
    and in mockery of the muteness

Hypocrite and Bitch
    EXP: 17,330, Level: 5
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next level: 2,670
    Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,670
    GP

Name
    Serilliant
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    1.75 meters / 70 kilograms
    Job
    Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by Zook Murnig View Post
    On the topic of the skins, which was brought up by Djakara a couple posts above me, I've always had trouble seeing the type-marker thingy that shows where your typing will be put when I'm replying. It's black against dark grey. Not friendly to someone with colorblindness (I don't know if normal eyes have any trouble with it). Perhaps making the type-marker thingy (I think it's called a cursor) white? I've seen that elsewhere, like on GUA in the darker skins.

Other than that, I really like the Dark skin.
    That, for some reason, is the way the skin is designed. I do see your point, though, and it is difficult for people even with color-sightedness.

As far as skins in general, they have been on my todo list for a great length of time now. Unfortunately, given my other duties, I haven't had time to look into graphics. But if anyone is willing to give me a hand in this department, we're always looking for qualified people.

GP

Name
    Calael Terrorblade
    Race
    Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation

I know I'm not really around but checking in on this thread I still recall a suggestion put back in the day which pretty much solves a lot of the consistency and bestiary, locations, etc. issues, one which I lobbied for and even offered to set up but was told it was being worked on... An Althanas wiki with proper permissions allows a very easy and decentralized approach to doing most of these suggestions. Let the mods lock the entries directly relevant to their regions while letting the players edit their exploits in a list of events, monsters encountered, etc. I would really have loved (and will love again one day once I'm done with classes) to have such a repository. This allows the people who like to read on backstories and events to do so and those who like world building to do so as well, good entries can then be promoted to official status. It's easy, efficient, and allows for the information on Althanas to build up relatively quickly.

Well, hope this helps, guys, see you around,
    Physics is FUN!

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."

GP

Name
    Chidori Astram Draconid
    Race
    Deity (human form)
    Hair Color
    Orchid Black
    Eye Color
    Starburst Grey
    Build
    5'9 140 lbs
    Job
    Meddler (hehe)

Of course, we need a very tight and dedicated staff to work these things, and people are worked as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osato
    What the hell happened to the ToW and the Dajas Pagoda?
    Max is in charge of the ToW and evidently does not have much time to work on it.
    Hmm. From what I'm seeing, the Althanas staff is strapped for two things, time and man power. The solution to that is something alot of members and many of the staff hate to hear... more members. We've had this conversation before. In fact we had it right after I joined. If Althanas advertises in the right places it can triple its active member base without compromising its high standard of writing. That way it can expand its staff and tasks can be properly delegated to those who have the time to do them and finish them.

Plus it wouldn't hurt to be strict. If a mod isn't getting a task done, take it from them and give it to someone who'll finish it. Simple.
    Last edited by Chidori Draconid; 02-11-07 at 09:54 PM.
    Belief is a beautiful armor
    But makes for the heaviest sword
    Like punching under water
    You never can hit who you're trying for

Some meet the exhibition and
    Some have to know they tried
    It's the chemical weapon
    For the war that's raging on inside

-John Mayer Belief

EXP: 149,213, Level: 16
    Level completed: 84%, EXP required for next level: 2,787
    Level completed: 84%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,787
    GP

Name
    Seth Dahlios
    Race
    Lavinian
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Grey
    Build
    5'7" 160
    Job
    Thief/Hex Mage

View Profile
    The problem is alot of mods seem to disappear for months, as they work hard on something only to return and have it complete. I worked as a mod for the better part of two years and you can never be sure if a mod is working on something or just too busy to get anything done. So just taking it from them seldom works.

However I would suggest either formally saying things are alive or dead. Maybe even create a thread where people can see projects waiting to be accomplished. That way we can help as well. The bestiary is basically soemthign I would also like to see implemented.

I would also like to see a return of Linked Accounts. I know it was done once before and I hope we didn't update VB and lose that ability, it was really really useful...
    "White needles buried in the red
    The engine roars and then it gives
    But never dies
    'Cause we don't live
    We just survive
    On the scraps that you throw away"

-Re-education (Through Labor), Rise Against

GP

Name
    Chidori Astram Draconid
    Race
    Deity (human form)
    Hair Color
    Orchid Black
    Eye Color
    Starburst Grey
    Build
    5'9 140 lbs
    Job
    Meddler (hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by Dissinger
    I worked as a mod for the better part of two years and you can never be sure if a mod is working on something or just too busy to get anything done. So just taking it from them seldom works.
    You're right about that. Whenever I ask about thing being developed, if it isn't the mod or admin that controls it the answer is always vague and speculative. Progress reports, draft submissions, and tight deadlines. I know it's not nearly as simple as that, but that could be a start.
    Belief is a beautiful armor
    But makes for the heaviest sword
    Like punching under water
    You never can hit who you're trying for

Some meet the exhibition and
    Some have to know they tried
    It's the chemical weapon
    For the war that's raging on inside

-John Mayer Belief

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast