Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Cathedral in need. (Closed to Drake, Kially Gaith, and Chiroptera)

EXP: 13,087, Level: 4
    Level completed: 82%, EXP required for next level: 913
    Level completed: 82%,
    EXP required for next level: 913
    GP

Name
    Eltarri Jordel
    Race
    Human/ (Dark) Elven
    Hair Color
    Dark brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    5.4/115

The action outside was already coming to a close by the time Eltarri made it to the door, and she reached the doorway just as the white-robed young woman streaked past her into the cathedral. The plethora of bandits who had moments ago been vying for entry now lay dead in gruesome piles of mutilated flesh. The drawbridge was up, and armored guards were grimly finishing the brutal task of destroying the attackers.

Eltarri swallowed hard and tried to ignore the twisting of her stomach at the smell and sight of the carnage. She could never have imagined that such a grisly slaughter would be possible on the threshold of a church. She turned away from the sight and saw the girl in the white robe standing near a brown-haired child down a hall opposing the one by which she’d come to the site of the battle. Eltarri’s throat clenched, painful memories suddenly racing through her mind at the sight of the child. He looked like . . .

No! You don’t have time to remember.

Eltarri fiercely blinked back tears and moved across the corridor, avoiding the few living bandits who staggered about or groaned piteously from the floor. She did her best to avoid looking at the boy, unable to bear the stab of guilt and almost physical pain that went through her heart every time she glimpsed him. She had no idea as to why a child would be present at such a horrendous scene, but she wasn't exactly surprised by it. Children had a habit of ending up in terribly places they didn't belong. What did surprise her was that the short girl who appeared to be the boy's acquaintance was Elven. She'd never known an elf who didn't help humans for their own benefit, and it was with wariness that she approached the harmless-looking girl.

But before Eltarri could even open her mouth to ask one of her many questions, the Elven girl was talking, explaining in a low, urgent voice that made her seem a figure of authority. Was she a priestess? That would explain the robe. But what about the boy? She listened hard in the hope that the elf would be able to alleviate some of her confusion, but at the end Eltarri found herself more confused than she’d been before the girl had began. The elf’s story made sense, since her earlier encounter had revealed that the bandits were apparently here after a single person, but why would any bandit leader send an army to come after one injured man if they could sneak in assassins who could kill off the heads of the church without trouble? And did the fact that the boy was in front of them despite being the result of an interrupted spell mean that he was only a semi-angel, or some kind of angel-in-training who was just going to end up as another guilt-causing deadweight on her conscience? And how did an Elven girl who looked so young – even for an elf – manage to be in charge of the cathedral’s defenses?

Eltarri shook her head and tried to ask a question. “First of all, who are—”

The boy spoke at the same time and Eltarri cut herself off, turning her gaze to the far wall to avoid having to see him even out of the corner of her eye. Just the sound of the child’s voice was enough make her eyes water. But not even he could finish his question, for he’d barely begun to speak when the din of a hundred pounding feet began to echo through the stone, growing louder as the hoard approached. At the head of the crowd was the ax-bearing man, and even from afar Eltarri could see his eyes burning with anger, and his infuriated bellow made her blood run cold. Why did all of her brilliant ideas always end up returning to bite her in the backside? It seemed the explanations would have to wait while they worried about preserving their lives.

“Let’s go talk to this guy,” she said quickly to the elf, “but only if we can we get to him without having to go through the mob."
    Last edited by Chiroptera; 01-09-08 at 04:24 PM.
    Speak softly and carry a big sword.

GP

Name
    Drake
    Race
    Half-Demon, half-human
    Hair Color
    grey when not angry
    Eye Color
    ice blue when not angey
    Build
    7,10 at 200lbs
    Job
    assasin

Drake smiles as he watches the approach of the bandits, ‘killing is so much fun’ he thinks to himself as he launches 2 daggers at the approaching bandits, “here take my hands if you want to escape.” Drake states calmly as he starts to approach some nearby shadows, “I can quickly and easily get us to that prisoner.” He knows that they would stand little to no chance against the approaching bandits.

Drake makes a quick look around to make sure the area is dark enough to meld and started slowly sinking into the floor, his hands spread wide inviting anyone to join him.

Karla looked at the man, confused. "Do you even know the way? I didn't think anyone knew the guy's location other than myself and the cathedral heads. Wouldn't you have to know where the guy is to take us to him? How do I know I can trust you not to get us lost? Look, no offense, but I think I can get to safety by myself." She asked the man.

Karla looked over at her female companion. "Follow me, I know quite a few places we can escape to."

Without any hesitation, Karla ran towards the statue of an angel nearby, She quickly cast the heal minor wounds spell on the statue and it moved out of the way to reveal a downward staircase hidden room. Karla grabbed a torch from the wall and waited for the female to get in the hiding spot before pressing the button to seal off the passage. If after ten seconds the female still didn't show, it meant that she had likely been caught by the enemy. If she didn't show for ten more seconds, Karla would have no choice but to press the switch and seal the passage off leaving her outside with the enemy. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be safe.
    Last edited by Karla; 01-11-08 at 12:47 PM.
    My registration might be a bit hard to find, since I registered 2 characters at once. So, here it is: http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=6653

I'm surprised I forgot to add this transaction to my sig earlier. whatever. I now have a silver staff

I now am at 10 usernames, including Edward Judorne, Jack lancer, Karla, Krista, Camella, Crystal Suncrest, Melissa, 2-in-1, Mink, and Shell.

GP

Name
    Eltarri Jordel
    Race
    Human/ (Dark) Elven
    Hair Color
    Dark brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    5.4/115

Eltarri only saw the man’s feet fade into the darkness below him before she had to look away, more nauseated by the sight of a melting man than by the bloody corpses that littered the halls. Did he really expect them to let him use his black magic on them? She didn't trust magic users as far as she could throw them! Was there really no other way? Eltarri turned pleading eyes to the elf, but the white-robed priestess was already speaking to the creepily disappearing man, and she nearly sighed in relief when the offer was demurred.

Eltarri nodded at the elf’s command and followed on her heels, trying to ignore the sound of imminent doom as it approached them in a growing din that echoed down the stone hall. She nervously watched the elf cast a spell on a statue, sticking her sword into its harness on her shoulder as sweat trickling down the side of her face despite the chill of the air. Her throat tickled, but she stifled the urge to cough and settled for rubbing her nose with the back of her hand. Fighting hoards of evildoers was hard enough without having to deal with a bad case of the sniffles.

The statue slid sideways almost soundlessly, the grate of granite on the floor a softer noise than the slapping of a child’s running footsteps. Eltarri’s eyes followed her ear’s direction on that one and she looked towards the noise in time to see the little boy disappear around a corner at the far end of the hall.

“Hey, where’s he . . .” she trailed off uncertainly and turned back to the waiting elf. The kid was an angel, right? Surely he could take care of himself. And if he wasn't around to get into danger, he wouldn't be a distraction if she did end up having to do more fighting. Eltarri ignored her doubts and stepped into the dark staircase behind the statue. It wasn’t much higher on the creepy scale than the melting man, but at least she didn’t have to wonder if she’d reach their destination in one piece. Well, she did, but she was much more comfortable with trying to get there on foot.

She stepped slowly down the staircase with one hand against the cold rock wall beside her, shivering as the air got colder the farther down she went. Her eyes adjusted quickly to the darkness, but she stopped a short way down and stood against the wall to let the white-robed elf pass her. It wasn’t that she was afraid to go down first, she told herself, it was just that the elf seemed to know her way around the cathedral pretty well, and if there were any unpleasant surprises at the bottom of the stairs she wanted to make sure that the more experienced church-goer could give fair warning.

Karla pressed the button as soon as her friend made it to the passageway. The statue moved itself back into place as soon as she did this, she knew she was safe, for now.

Her biggest concern right now was why the bandits were assaulting the cathedral. She knew that they were after the man she was hiding, but she had no clue why. Come to think of it, the bandits now had free reign of the cathedral, and it was only a matter of time before they found him.

This room was where they stored all records on the cathedral's history and layout. The whole room was lined with bookshelves.
    "There you are. You are late.. We need to talk." Came the voice of the mystery man she gave sanctuary to. Karla nearly jumped out of her shoes.

"The hell? How'd you get down here?" Karla asked the man.

"What the? You are that girl who let me in. Fascinating place, really. But I was expecting one of the heads of this place. Still, seeing as how you are here noww, you will have to do. As for how I got here, I was hidden away here. The cathedral heads chose to lie to all the staff about my location, because some of the bandits actually work for the church."

"Then how do you know you can trust us?"

"You haven't killed me yet. That plus the fact that the bandits are after you gives me a pretty good idea about where you stand.

"So, why are they after you?"

"'I stole something that belongs to them, and if they get it back, this whole building will be in trouble."
    Last edited by Karla; 01-14-08 at 02:10 AM.
    My registration might be a bit hard to find, since I registered 2 characters at once. So, here it is: http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=6653

I'm surprised I forgot to add this transaction to my sig earlier. whatever. I now have a silver staff

I now am at 10 usernames, including Edward Judorne, Jack lancer, Karla, Krista, Camella, Crystal Suncrest, Melissa, 2-in-1, Mink, and Shell.

GP

Name
    Eltarri Jordel
    Race
    Human/ (Dark) Elven
    Hair Color
    Dark brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    5.4/115

Eltarri followed hesitantly after the elf and stood a few feet behind her when they reached the bottom of the staircase, her eyes quickly growing accustomed to the dim torchlight of the underground study as she looked around at the book-lined shelves. The air was chilly and the smell of old parchment permeated every breath she took, making her mouth taste of dust and ink.

The elf’s torch was throwing strange shadows across the face of the man who stood before them, but her initial instinct to reach for her sword was quelled by the calmness in his voice, the authoritative self-confidence that made her trust him more than any of his words ever could. He was on the younger side and moved with the casual grace of a fighter, and his dark hair fell haphazardly over sharp eyes that glinted with a cunning energy as he spoke to the elf. He might have been scary to her if he’d been up in the hallway with a sharp weapon, but down in the bowels of the church, unarmed as he was and nonchalantly revealing his crimes, Eltarri found herself instead feeling relieved at having found another ally in the chaos of the struggle.

She stepped forward into the flickering circle of the elf’s torchlight, inclining her head politely when the bandit’s eyes flickered warily towards her as she moved. She nodded at the elf as well in a barely civil greeting that would have made her mother cringe, but they didn't have time etiquette and propriety. Curiosity made her speak, but beneath her interest was a horror at the thought that there were material things that could be worth more than hundreds of human lives. How would this battle be justified? At the end of the day, what would the victor have won?

She spoke quickly, unconsciously keeping her voice low in case they needed to avoid detection from possible eavesdroppers. “What could you have stolen that would warrant this kind of attack?”
    Last edited by Chiroptera; 02-04-08 at 07:14 PM.

"Let me reply by asking you this, Ever notice anything odd about this cathedral? Statues that didn't seem to fit the scene? Doors locked that nobody knows where they lead?"

Karla knew what he was talking about. For every angel statue, there was a Devil statue, but in two places there were Medusa statues instead. Also, over half the doors were locked to her. some doors were even locked to the heads of the cathedral.

"Yeah? So?"

The man rolled a piece of parchment out on the table. it was a map of the cathedral itself.

"This is what they are after. The only copy of the building schematics that shows EVERYTHING."

Karla looked at the map. there were many more basements than she had thought but what really worried her were two words written on basement level 11.

'Necromancer's lab'

"Wait, are you serious? No wonder they have magic users amongst thier ranks."

It all made sense now. Half the statues that hid secret passageways needed holy magic to get through, while the other half opened to darker magic, which she didin't have.

"Wait, how do you know all this?" Karla Questioned.

"I can't tell you that just yet."

GP

Name
    Eltarri Jordel
    Race
    Human/ (Dark) Elven
    Hair Color
    Dark brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    5.4/115

Eltarri had to bite her lip to keep from voicing her many questions as the elf and the bandit bent over the map, their conversation as incomprehensible to her as the liturgy at a Dwarvish wedding. It was frustrating not to have any idea of the secrets they were talking about, but it was worse to be finding out that there was nothing she could do to help. She knew nothing about the church except what she’d seen with her own eyes of the hallways.

The man’s stolen property was intrinsically linked to the cathedral, which made it a good thing he had it with him, but on the other hand it seemed incredibly foolish of him to have come to the cathedral for protection. By running to the fold for protection he’d led the wolves straight to the vulnerable lambs. And these sheep didn’t even have a dependable shepherd. At least, if the elf’s report of the heads’ assassinations were true, they didn’t anymore, and even while alive they’d been turning to divine aid for their salvation. What was the point in having Cathedral leaders that weren’t powerful or honest enough to protect the church?

Eltarri stepped closer to the table and looked at the faded parchment when the elf mentioned magic users. What was it that had caught her eye? She frowned in frustration and stepped back. The diagram was far too complicated for her to decipher, and the plethora of tiny ink lines made her head hurt with just a glance. In most situations she liked having an idea of what she was getting involved in, but she didn't know how to read blueprints and hadn't the foggiest notion of what they needed to do. All she knew was that there was a hoard of fighters waiting upstairs that would happy to kill her if she tried to slip away, and her only hope of survival rested with the two before her.

Eltarri sighed and sat down on a rusty chest that sat against one of the shelf-lined walls. She crossed her legs beneath her, grimacing at the dust that smeared her pants, and set her chin in her hands to wait for orders. She told herself that she didn’t mind being useless; she had neither magic nor knowledge of the cathedral, and sticking her nose into the strategizing process would undoubtedly be more of a nuisance than an aid. They would tell her what they needed from her, and when that time came she’d be more than happy to swing her sword at in whichever direction they pointed. It was the least—and probably the most—she could do.

Karla looked over at her female comrade, and noticed the confused expression on her face.

"Listen miss, this is more serious than we first thought. According to this map, this cathedral houses a very dark secret. I don't know quite how we are going to reach it, but supposedly this holy place is on some incredibly unholy ground.
    We need to cleanse the evil coming from the necromancer's lab, and..." suddenly it occured to Karla that the only way to enter the right area was either by black magic, which she was pretty sure neither of them had, or through one of the locked doors.

"Fuck. There is no possible way we can do this. Not anything that wouldn't put us at risk, that is."

"I wouldn't go that far missy. Inside here is your ticket inside. This is the key to the door here." The man said as he pushed an envelope her way and pointed to a position on the map. Karla began to open the envelope, but the man stopped her.

"I don't think you want to do that. That key will hurt you if you touch it, but it won't hurt your partner, I don't think. It works like this, if you can cast any holy or healing spells, it will sense that and infect your body with a poison that will eat away at your bones until you have nothing left. Nasty stuff. Almost uncurable, but I do have one shot of the antidote." He said passing her a small vial of sparkling white liquid.

"Thanks, I think." Karla said swiping the antidote up.

"Hey, think you could grab that envelope?" Karla asked turning to her female companion.

"Oh, by the way, I don't think we've had time to be properly introduced. The name's Karla"

GP

Name
    Eltarri Jordel
    Race
    Human/ (Dark) Elven
    Hair Color
    Dark brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    5.4/115

Necromancer’s lab?

Icy blood pounded in the half-elf’s ears at the frightful revelation. They were going to have to get rid of a necromancer? She suddenly wished that she’d hidden under a pew back in the Hall of Peace instead of choosing to play the hero-turned-martyr. Nobody even knew her name in this part of the city; if she died her corpse would be buried in a mass grave with all the other slain bandits and left to rot in the cold ground of Salvar, forgotten until the evil necromancer raised her from the dead to fight in his zombie army as one of the mindless brain-eating terrors she’d had to face in another part of the country not too long ago. Her heart sank at the depressing thought that she might never see the sun again.

The girl was distracted from her brooding by the curt voice of the elf, whose diminutive frame apparently housed an incongruously plentiful supply of bravery. She was a healer and a priestess, and yet she was willing to descend into the pits of hell to save this cathedral. A bolt of shame went through Eltarri’s chest at her own comparative weakness. If this elf—Karla—was willing to risk her life when she didn’t even have a sword, how could Eltarri get away with hiding when she had a weapon and at least a little knowledge of how to use it? She was the one who’d come charging into the action with big plans of cathedral-saving and villain-thwarting; it would be unacceptably cowardly to run away when the real test of character presented itself, even if it did mean that she would have to fight a necromancer.

She was on her feet in an instant, the tip of her sword banging with embarrassing loudness against the chest she’d been sitting on in her hurry to rise.

“I’m Eltarri,” she told the elf, flashing a quick smile as she went to the table to pick up the envelope. It was a small key but it was heavy for its size, and Eltarri tucked the envelope swiftly into her pocket, not wanting to think about the effects on magic users that the man had warned them about. She didn’t use magic, but the image of bones being eaten painfully away made her handle the small instrument with care anyway. There was, after all, only one way of finding out if the thief's prognosis was wrong. Was this the thing he had stolen, the thing that was responsible for the many lives that had been lost that day? She glanced up at him while tucking the key away and caught his eyes following her motions with an unconscious intensity that made a shiver run down her spine. How skilled would a thief have to be to steal something as precious as this from bandits?

She turned away from the table, wondering how were they going to clear out the evil that had been lingering without detection beneath the cathedral for all those years. She knew that she probably wouldn’t be able to do much. Would the elf's magic be strong enough to withstand the powers of death?

She looked again to Karla and flexed her fingers at her sides to keep them from getting stiff in the cold. Who knew how soon it would be before she had to wield her sword again. Her voice was tremulous but determined when she spoke.

“Ready when you are.”
    Last edited by Chiroptera; 02-09-08 at 11:54 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast