Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile

Renzokuken Pass (Location F)

The origin of the name Renzokuken is unknown, though several scholars believe it to be the name of the weapon of Prometheus. This pass connects the Fingolfin Peninsula to the Rogue Desert and the Grand Plains.
    Althanas Operations Administrator

Dirks GP amount: 2949

EXP: 13,642, Level: 3
    Level completed: 93%, EXP required for next level: 358
    Level completed: 93%,
    EXP required for next level: 358
    GP

Name
    William Steinbock
    Race
    Capra Nubiana
    Hair Color
    Tan/Black
    Eye Color
    Yellow
    Job
    Engineer

The airships had moved over the pass and had a large contingent more view than before. On the peninsula, they had but sight of one waterfront; from their current vantage they could see the waters both north and south of the narrow land mass. The map was deceiving, showing the pass as a small flat of land connecting between the peninsula and the plains: in reality it was a very high, flat mass of earth that rose nearly a hundred feet into the air. Sheer walls of rock, polished smooth by buffeting waves lined the north and south edges of the mass, while a slender gorge ran along the middle. The length of the Behemoth company's troop movement had nearly doubled as they had to halve the width of their marching order to move through the gorge. The airships watched them guardedly, and eyes scanned over the high land that dropped off in the distance where it opened into the plains.

Corporal Krybirr stood on the bow of one of the airships, surveying the geography closely as William approached him. Hearing the hooves clomping on the maple wood of the deck, he spoke up without looking to the capran.

"Such an ideal place to bottleneck enemies. That is, if we could get them to come to us- which they won't."

William slowed his approach and stepped up beside the drow, leaning forward to rest his arms on the edge of the ship's railing.

"Well, it'd still do bloody well nicely for a retreat, if it comes to that. If we get overwhelmed, fall back and use the land to our advantage." he said, pausing a moment for his mind to think, then very deliberately adding: "keep the losses of our men minimal."

The corporal nodded, his eyes looking southward to the ship out on the waters.

"Aye..." he responded. He seemed to want to say more, but held back.

"They're going to try me when this is all over." William said bluntly, his eyes focused ahead. The corporal looked over at him with a bit of surprise on his face, then thoughtfully looked down as if in shame. Turning to look out over the edge of the ship, he nodded.

"Figured it out, I see."

"Lashgiver told me."

Shalacius closed his eyes briefly and gritted his teeth as if silently cursing.

"Should have known. That damned dwarf likes getting into your head, so much that he can't keep his mouth shut, even for the greater good."

"Don't worry. It's not going to change things out here."

William narrowed his eyes defiantly as he gazed to the horizon. The dark elf looked even more surprised, but then his face melted to a pleased look, nodding.

"Sticking with us despite it?"

"Well, if I'm going to die, they're going to have to get the blood on their hands and explain it to people. It won't be because I gave them an easy out. Plus, I figure my actions out here are my only chance to build a case for my character."

Shalacius looked disappointed as he too leaned on the railing, hanging his head.

"I'll give you that much. Not many people- man or goat- would have it in them to lead an army for a nation that wants to put him on the gallows in the next few weeks. I still have my doubts about your abilities... but you've commanded my respect, capran."

William nodded, rubbing a hoof gently along the polished ivory railing. The red paint of the trimming gently flaked off under the motion, dropping red snowflakes to the deck in front of him.

"For what it's worth, you may be the first drow who's earned my respect as well. I haven't cared much for your kind, but I will admit... any man who puts each and every one of his men before himself is the kind of man I'd want leading my army."

Go figure. Me of all people respecting a dark elf chav. This is going to be a day to remember...

The two held an awkward silence for a moment, as they watched the Pass slip by beneath them. Corporal Krybirr broke the silence, pointing ahead.

"See up there where the gorge opens to the fields? We'll be setting down there. The ship will come ashore a few hundred yards off and we'll reconvene the entire army and prep them."

William looked ahead, and grunted with an affirmative nod to show he understood.

"And... we'll be assembling the Behemoth."

"We're not going to wait until we approach an enemy force? Anyone out there will see it a mile away."

"It's a risk we take. We know what we're up against here, and we'll need it ready before we face them. By the time we're in the thick, we won't have any time to waste with getting it together in battle."

William nodded again as he soaked in this surprising turn. More and more it sounded like Shalacius was grudgingly accepting that this was a suicide mission. The awkward silence returned, but rather than let it linger, William spoke up quickly, changing the subject.

"So, what is it about you and General Thoracis?"

The dark elf shot up quickly, a look of caution wrapped around his face as he scanned the eyes of the goat quickly and with suspicion.

"Captain Lashgiver really does talk too much..." the drow said before pushing away from the railing with a sigh.

Out of Character:
    All forces have arrived from Fingolfin Peninsula (Location A)
    Level 0
    I do say, my good man, would you happen to have a cigar on you?
    Quests:
    -Hiding In Plain Sight *complete*
    -Venture Into The Dark

EXP: 13,642, Level: 3
    Level completed: 93%, EXP required for next level: 358
    Level completed: 93%,
    EXP required for next level: 358
    GP

Name
    William Steinbock
    Race
    Capra Nubiana
    Hair Color
    Tan/Black
    Eye Color
    Yellow
    Job
    Engineer

Corporal Krybirr paced the deck like a caged animal while William's eyes traced him intently. The drow dared not look up at the accusing stare; his eyes stare right at the yellow planks beneath his feet. He stopped, letting out a deep sigh.

"General Thoracis... he's the kind of man that legends have been written about. His actions and his past command a certain kind of..." the dark elf trailed off. He looked up to see the goat leaned back against the painted railing of the ship, two slender brown arms folded in front of his vest.

"My father served under Thoracis. It was a long time ago, when I was just a child. He was one of hundreds of troops, the kind of guys who the General would never even know the name of. But I heard stories..." the drow gestured with his hands as if literally trying to pull the words from the air in front of him. "...and not just the romanticized ones that are told in the history books. I heard day to day stories about the man. How he led, how he lived. My father served him loyally and admired him."

"So because your father had that admiration, you did too?"

Shalacius chuckled to himself, rolling his eyes behind a coy smile.

"That's putting it lightly. I was a young, impressionable man. So you have to think, for my father to admire him, that just made him that much larger than life. I idolized General Thoracis growing up. I mean, I had never met the man, but everything my father told me- every story I heard about his grand accomplishments- it just built him up ore and more."

William nodded, unfolding his arms and bracing them in a more relaxed position against the railing.

"That's it? You seemed so reticent to say anything about it."

The drow scoffed, shaking his head at this outsider who obviously didn't get it.

"You don't understand. The man was my hero. But after the first war, after the fall of the Queen... well, something like that isn't something you just go broadcasting around the new regime. So I kept it to myself. I chose to simply try to emulate the General, to try to be the kind of leader he was. How's the saying go? 'Imitation..."

William nodded, understanding a but more.

"...is the sincerest form of flattery."

"Exactly. I figured that I'd just imitate the General and keep my thoughts about him private to avoid scrutiny. As a matter of fact, you and Lashgiver are the only two I've told about my thoughts on Thoracis'."

The drow exhaled heavily, as if a burden was falling off his back. The two figures stood on the airship deck, the swirling winds from the propellers whipped around them in the moment of silence.

"What makes you ask, Mr. Steinbock?"

"Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem."

William had started to see Captain Lashgiver's concern.

If we have to fight Thoracis, Krybirr might not be able to pull it together and actually fight the man he idolizes. Which has us by the bollocks, because he's the one who holds the most sway with the men.

The Corporal seemed a bit confused at William's concern and scoffed.

"If you're worried I have a chip on my shoulder about my father, or trying to live up to Thoracis' leeadership, then don't be. I know what I'm doing with the men."

There was a slight buck as the ship began going from a straight pathway to a gentle descent. William was surprised and anxious, looking around nervously. The dark elf looked ahead, nodding.

"Ah, good. We're coming to the end of the pass now. We'll start our descent and should be able to touch down in the Grand Plains within the next fifteen minutes or so. I better get ready."

"Get ready?"

The corporal looked at William, and for the first time since he met him, cracked an almost warm grin.

"To address the men. Hate to say, but the speech you gave last time was kind of trite and cliche. If it's all the same, I think I'll try my hand this time at rallying them..."

Out of Character:
    All forces moving to the Grand Plains (Location C)
    Level 0
    I do say, my good man, would you happen to have a cigar on you?
    Quests:
    -Hiding In Plain Sight *complete*
    -Venture Into The Dark