Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Silver
    Build
    6.1/ 190

Gabriel let out a soft whistle at the mayor’s last pronouncement. Two thousand gold? From Tradepost? Whoever these brigands were, they must not have done much research on their target before attacking. Trying to find that much money among the people who lived here was like hoping to find pearls in snail shells!

“What’ll happen to us if we can’t find the money?” A tight-lipped man asked from beside the mayor’s table. Apparently the entire council had been called to the meeting, but there were still less than twenty people in the room, none dressed in clothes that rivaled even the mayor’s mediocre apparel. Gabriel could easily imagine that the only person in the room with gold on his person at the moment was himself. His eyes roamed the room and met those of a man who stood at the door whose gaze had been resting on him. He didn’t seem any more a part of the council than Gabriel was, but he still had an air of belonging, as if he, at least, believed that he had the right to be there. The outburst of voices near the mayor pulled his attention away.

“Look, we don’t have the money,” a loud man was saying, his face red with anger, “and no lord is going to defend us because we don't hold no allegiance to any fiefdom. Why don’t we just tell the bastards to bugger off and find someone to rob who actually has money?”

The mayor’s lined face went pale, and his eyes flickered fearfully over the heads of the council members in front of him to rest on the man lounging near the door, then jerked quickly away as he shook his head.

“They’ll burn down the town,” he said mournfully.

A gasp echoed through the tavern as the men and women of the council looked at each other with incredulous shock and horror. Gabriel’s eyebrows rose. Burn down the town? Wasn’t that overly dramatic? That would just be a spiteful insult to people already suffering from scarcity, an especially cruel blow since they had only recently begun building to expand the town’s limits. More importantly, demolishing the town would be a huge inconvenience for the fiefdoms that were too far from Knife’s Edge to trade straight with store owners, but there was no other town that would substitute as a merchant stop-over. His own family’s fiefdom would suffer the repercussions of the loss, and who knew how long it would take the town to get back on its feet?

“We don’t have to sit back and take this!” The voice that rang out through the tavern was heartwarmingly familiar, but hearing it made Gabriel grimace as he twisted his head to get a better look at the bar. The red-haired boy was still standing behind the bar, but his eyes were fixed with awestruck admiration at the slender figure that stood on the counter, hands on hips and face fixed in a stern frown as she stared her father in the eye across the gap that separated them.

Oh, Elise.

The mayor blanched and took a step across his table towards her. “Elise, darling, please go home now. This is an important council meeting and—”

“I’m not just going to sit at home and knit while you hand our future to a bunch of criminals,” she declared hotly, stepping towards him as well so that the tips of her toes were at the edge of the counter. “We don’t have to roll over and whimper with our tails between our legs while these . . . these monsters destroy our lives!”

“Elise,” a man on the floor said in a placating voice, “we don’t have the money. Please be reasonable.”

“Being reasonable isn’t an option,” she shouted. “We need to fight them! We need to get our weapons and gather our men and defend what’s ours!”

“Elise!” The mayor turned to look nervously at the man by the door before he faced his daughter again, his eyes pleading. “Calm down, dear. For all of our sake.”

The entire council was talking loudly over each other, some agreeing with Elise and others vehemently opposing, but Gabriel was as mesmerized by the fiery woman on the counter as the gangly boy who was still staring up at her with an open mouth. She had taken off the hat and stood with her brilliant hair loose, cascading down the front of her white dress like streams of gold through snow-covered hills. Her cheeks were flushed and even from a distance Gabriel could see her green eyes flash with emerald fire. She was a beauty, no doubt, but she was also—regretfully— an activist. Attempting to mollify her with artificial assistance was apparently not going to be enough to win this one over. It was going to take real endorsement of her noble cause to bring her to his side, but if that was what it took, then that was precisely what Gabriel was willing to do.

His mind churned, running the situation through the logic formulas that his father had pounded into his head from childhood. The situation did not seem promising. Premises: 1. The villains want money from Tradepost. 2. Tradepost does not have money. 3. If Tradepost will not give the villains money, the villains will burn Tradepost down. Conclusion: Tradepost will be burnt down.

Gabriel grimaced and looked again to the man at the door. The mayor kept looking at him as if he expected the lounging man to turn into a dragon and eat them all at any moment. Was he the one whom Elise had heard in her father’s office? If so, then it was probably safe to say that he was at least the spokesman for the brigands, and therefore the one to whom negotiations and pleading could be directed.

New argument. Premises: 1. Villian A is in charge of operation and wants money from Tradepost. 2. Tradepost does not have money. 3. Elise would be very impressed and eternally grateful if I saved Tradepost from the villains. 4. Villian A is money-grubbing human, and I have 200 gold. Conclusion: I’m going to get the girl.

Stifling a triumphant grin, he stood up suddenly, pushing his chair back as he did so that it grated noisily against the floor, and stood with his back straight and his head high. It took a moment for the members of the council to notice him, but he waited until he had received curious glances from about half before he lifted one hand and took a step away from his table.

“Wait,” he said in the most commanding voice he could muster. Frantic conversation stilled to a murmur as the council members turned their eyes to glare at him. Some of their faces changed as they noticed his fine clothes and noble bearings, but Gabriel kept his expression neutral and met the mayor’s questioning look.

“This is indeed a time of trial for this small town, a time that could end in disaster or relief, depending on how wisely you, members of the council, conduct yourselves and your affairs.” He had their attention, and he clasped his hands behind his back and strode slowly towards them. “Tradepost is on the brink of destruction, but all of us in here are men . . . and women . . . who are intelligent enough to find a way to avoid needless devastation and to work out our disagreements and our conflict in a way that is noble and fitting of our class. We are Salvaran, and we ascribe to a higher standard of negotiation. No need to lower ourselves to petty threats and unwarranted demolition! Let us examine the situation as it stands and work with what we have to determine a solution that will be beneficial to all parties involved.”

Gabriel wanted to glance at Elise to see what she thought of his grand speech, but instead he studiously avoided acknowledging her existence. He didn’t want her to think that he was doing all this just to impress her; that would make her think he was shallow.

“Yes, yes, all right,” the mayor agreed eagerly. “What can we do?”

Gabriel let his expression become thoughtful and he crossed one arm over his chest and tapped his chin with the fingers of his other hand. “Tradepost does not have funds of any sort with which to meet these men’s demands, correct?”

“That’s right,” answered one of the council members, accompanied by a chorus of nods and murmurs of agreement.

“And Tradepost also does not have any kind of militia or armed guardsmen with which to defend itself?”

The assent from the council was louder this time.

“Then it seems that the only thing left for the people of Tradepost to do,” Gabriel continued, “is to ask the men making the demands for a fair contest by which you can attempt to defend yourself and hope that there is at least a shred of honor in them that will grant them mercy for your plight.”

“What kind of contest?” A woman asked warily.

Gabriel met the eyes of the council, one at a time, before letting his gaze rest on the shady man by the door.

“A duel.”

“A duel?”

Gabriel ignored the incredulity in their voices and kept his eyes on the man by the door, hoping that the mayor’s nervous eye flickering wasn’t leading him to make a fool of himself.

“Yes, a duel,” he said, carefully watching the man in an attempt to gauge his reaction. “I offer myself as Tradepost’s champion, and I challenge the leader of this marauding band to a knife fight to determine the fate of the town. If I win, he and his men must leave without hurting anything or anyone. And if I lose, the town will burn without opposition.”

It was indeed a noble risk, but Gabriel wasn’t worried about the possibility of being responsible for a city-wide inferno. He was good with his knives, and he wasn’t actually planning to have to fight for survival anyway. If the bandit took the deal, all Gabriel would have to do was find a way to negotiate a private deal, one that involved the 200 gold he had in his backpack. It wasn’t 2,000 like they wanted, but it was at least a consolation prize and better than leaving with nothing to show for the heist but empty wallets and sooty clothes. The brigands would get their gold, and he would get Elise's undying affection. It was a win-win situation! At least, that was what he was hoping the criminal would think once he had the chance to explain it to him.

Gabriel turned and stepped closer to the door so that his face was out of sight of the council members. Still staring at the cause of the mayor’s terror, he gave the man a quick grin and dropped one of his eyelids in a covert wink.

“What say you?”
    I don't bite, but the girls do.
    Ladies in Attendance: Truth, Grace

EXP: 107,947, Level: 14
    Level completed: 27%, EXP required for next level: 11,053
    Level completed: 27%,
    EXP required for next level: 11,053
    GP

Name
    Rayse Valentino
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10 / Athletic
    Job
    Independent Contractor and Arms Dealer

Rayse frowned at the outburst caused by the young maiden. Someone so beautiful shouldn't be so angry, he thought. Nonetheless, he was less impressed with how this meeting was going. It was not until that one out-of-place patron spoke up that things took a turn for the strange. The man was noticing Rayse as much as the mayor was, and even offered The Contractor a sly wink while speaking of his duel. Something was definitely up, and Rayse was all about compromises at this point. Making eye contract with Gabriel, he pointed to the door leading outside and walked through it.

While he was walking out, he heard the mayor yelling something, but it was blocked out by the chattering of the other people. Nothing was going to get accomplished listening to them.

Outside, Dereck and Big Eric were already standing guard, and Rayse instructed them to go inside and if anyone speaks up, to tell them to remain quiet while negotiations were in progress. Mainly, Rayse didn't want them to hear what Gabriel was going to say to him.

Rayse had no idea what the young upstart had to offer, or what the nature of his 'duel' was, but he figured it was worth saying, "Alright, I'm listening."

GP

Name
    Gabriel Talisman
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Silver
    Build
    6.1/ 190

Gabriel was almost surprised when the man by the door picked up on the gig right away. It wasn’t that he’d assumed that the bandit would be too stupid . . . well, maybe he had. He waited until the thief had disappeared through the tavern doorway, and then he turned to give the council a confident nod, taking the opportunity to steal a glance at Elise. She was still standing on the counter, hands still on her hips, but her face . . . was she angry? Confused? Worried for his life, maybe? No matter how long he lived, he didn’t think he’d ever get to the point where he could understand a woman's expressions.

Unfortunately, he didn’t have the time to study her, because his one hope at redemption was waiting outside. He turned with a flourish and strode after the man.

“Be careful,” the mayor called after him amid the rising hubbub of council debate, but Gabriel let the door swing shut behind him without acknowledgment. Two rather intimidating men pushed past him into the tavern, and Gabriel waited until the door was firmly shut behind them as well before he stuck his hands into his pockets and approached the dark-haired brigand.

“So here’s the deal,” Gabriel said without preamble, keeping his voice low. “At the moment, neither of us is anywhere near getting what we want, and to be frank, it’s your little heist that’s getting in the way of our happiness. You want gold, but you obviously picked the wrong town to steal it from. I want Elise, but she’s so obsessed with saving Tradepost—from you, I might add— that she’s not being very receptive to my attempts at befriending.” He gave the man a stern glower to show just how his interference was affecting him before going on. “So here’s the compromise: I have 200 gold buried in a very discreet location within this town. The money can be yours, but in return, you have to help me win the lady’s favor.”
    Last edited by Ladies' Man; 01-19-08 at 09:35 AM.

GP

Name
    Rayse Valentino
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10 / Athletic
    Job

While Gabriel talked, Rayse had a chance to take a closer look at him. Silk and linen, this guy was definitely wearing something valuable. Judging by the two sheaths at his waist, he was also armed. No, this guy wasn't from around here, and it didn't seem like his things were at the local inn either. Of course, all these details were quite trivial, and Rayse soon found himself presented with a strange offer.

Fixed upon his own self-confidence, he smiled sadistically, "If that's all you'll offer, I must decline. If you want to buy this place's salvation (and apparently the affection of one of its residents), I'll need more than just your week's allowance."

The last comment was Rayse's hint that he more than knew about the kind of place Gabriel originated from just by his appearance. Rayse began to wonder... Was that hostile woman the one Gabriel was after? He seemed rather fixated on her in observation.

"By the way, the name's Valentino. Rayse Valentino. I don't like to do deals anonymously."

Inside, the council further deliberated on the matter, with some asking about the identity of the outspoken young man. Most were sitting in silence, fearing for their lives when the armored men came in. Even though Dereck assured them of their safety, they were still shaking in their seats.

"I gotta say," said Dereck as he stared at Elise, "That's one fine honey. Right, Big Eric?"

"Huh?" replied Eric, oblivious to the differences of the women in the tavern, "Which one do ya mean?"

"The one in the white dress, you clod! The one with the green eyes! How can you miss her?!"

"Oh... Oh! It's that one, isn't it?"

Dereck sighed and continued admiring the beauty. What he wouldn't do to get a girl like that with him alone.

GP

Name
    Gabriel Talisman
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Silver
    Build
    6.1/ 190

It took a good deal of self-control for Gabriel to keep his expression neutral when the bandit gave his reply. He’d thought that his bargain would have been borderline irresistible, considering the man’s alternatives. Who was he to sneer at 200 gold?

Rayse Valentino, apparently. Or, at least, that was the pseudonym the man was using at the time. Gabriel didn’t like the way his eyes glinted, and he didn’t like the way he smiled. Hell, he just didn’t like the man! He was idiotically standing in the way of Gabriel’s conquest, and that made him an enemy, and a troublesome one at that who didn’t have the decency to compromise when the odds of success were already stacked against him.

But Gabriel had to admit that it was his own fault that Valentino hadn’t taken the offer. He hadn’t given his name, but he hadn't taken any measures to disguise the fact that he wasn’t just a local farmer, and judging from the thief’s knowing smirk and the comment about an “allowance,” the man before had at least an inkling of his nobility.

Gabriel cleared his throat and pushed his fingers lightly through his hair, clenching his teeth to keep his irritation from showing on his face. Valentino wasn’t a moron, but his assumption of Gabriel’s readily-available cash was still wrong. When he left home, he had taken the majority of his personal savings, but with his father so recently dead he’d felt a little guilty for not just leaving the gold with his mother in case she needed it. But he couldn’t tell Valentino that he just needed to run home to get more money; half of their guardsmen had been murdered in the robbery that killed his father and the new trainees hadn't been anywhere near up to par when left; it would be like leading a wolf back to the fold! But he was a fool; he’d broken the cardinal rule of bartering by laying all his cards on the table in his first turn. Why hadn't he started with 100 gold so that he'd have leeway in negotiating? The bandit had all the chips now, and all Gabriel could do was backpedal and hope that Valentino wasn’t as greedy as he seemed.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Gabriel said sardonically with a polite nod. It didn’t hurt to be civil, even if the recipient was not. “My name is Gabriel.”

He had decided at the last moment not to include his last name in a rather unsubtle attempt to protect his family, just in case the brigand did decide to try to rob someone with more money. It wasn’t covert, but it wasn’t strictly rude, either. He’d already given Valentino everything else; it seemed fair to withhold at least his name. But what was he going to do about his demands for more money? He certainly didn’t have any more with him.

Gabriel smiled self-deprecatingly. “Perhaps you misunderstand my circumstances, sir. The sum that I offered you is not, as you might have once correctly assumed, an ‘allowance,’ it is in fact the entire sum of money that I hold to my name. I'm not on vacation, sir, I'm heading for Knife's Edge to find a new home. If I were my elder brother, of course, I would have a good deal more gold and a generous piece of land to offer you with it, but as inheritance goes, I only have that 200 thanks to a fluke in my father’s will.”

It was a sound story, he thought, one that rang of truth and that most sons with brothers could relate to. Now he just had to wait and see if the fabrication flew with Valentino.

GP

Name
    Rayse Valentino
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10 / Athletic
    Job

Rayse took out a pack of cigarettes and put one in his mouth. He lit it quickly, but inhaled and exhaled slowly, letting the refreshing feelings wash over him.

"Sometimes I can't decide what is the best part of a smoke: The taste, the calmness of my nerves, or the clearness of my head."

Rayse took another drag of the cigarette, "We are not so fortunate to have all the answers of the world, and so my mystery remains unsolved."

It was apparent that this guy was hiding something. Rayse had no come all this way for some piddling sum. No, all the time spent planning this event would be a waste. He didn't particularly care that he only procured a first name out of this person, nor his apparent life story, but at least now he had some way to address him. He figured 'pretty boy' probably wouldn't go so well.

"Your mystery, however, is not so complicated. Value is not only a trait of money. Gold is still gold in its many incarnations. If you want to win that pretty lady's heart, I'll need something more of value, and I am sure you have something that would satisfy both our desires."

GP

Name
    Gabriel Talisman
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Silver
    Build
    6.1/ 190

Gabriel couldn’t keep a frown from crossing his face. At first he had racked his brains, trying to find some hidden meaning in Valentino’s cryptic comments that would pertain to the situation. He couldn’t find any application, so he dismissed them and focused on the relevant part of the reply, the refusal of his offer. The bandit didn’t believe his story, or else he was still clinging to the desperate hope that Gabriel could provide something to make the ordeal worthwhile.

Gabriel glanced back at the door of the inn, wondering if the townspeople inside were starting to wonder at what was taking him so long. Lengthy negotiations made people nervous, and this was supposed to be a cut and dry deal. Gabriel turned his attention back to Valentino, staring with unabashed curiosity at his unnatural cigar. It was thinner than a normal cigar and white, but it seemed to have the same mellowing effects. Perhaps it was something new in the big city that had yet to trickle down to the country boys in the fiefs.

He had to look away, turning his eyes to the ground so that he could focus on the matter at hand. What was it Valentino wanted? It rankled him a bit that the man was such a greedy scumbag that he’d turn up his nose to a disowned orphan’s entire fortune without a word of sympathy, but it did show something of the man’s character, and any slight advantage he could gain over the brigand could turn out to be useful.

Something of value? What did he think disinherited sons of nobles carried around with them; diamonds? Mythril? Magical amulets that gave them the power to turn dust into ale? Gabriel had left his backpack beneath the table inside the tavern, pressed as unobtrusively as possible against the wall. What did he have inside that would interest a professional thief? He had a good novel . . . but he was only halfway through, and he didn’t think he could endure the agony of going through life without ever finding out what happened to the heroes. He had a rope . . . a cheap compass . . . a clean shirt . . . all things that the man would probably be insulted to be offered. He had his father’s signet ring tucked into a secret pocket on his coat, but there was no way in hell that he was going to give up the one proof of his birthright. He could offer his daggers, but they were made of iron and couldn’t have been worth more than fifty gold together. He had two of the Girls, his other daggers, but if he was reluctant to give up his father’s ring then he was downright clingy when it came to them. Not even the precious Elise was worth the loss of Truth or Grace.

Gabriel gave a heavy sigh and shook his head, offering the smoking thief a perplexed and helpless shrug. “I’d turn out my pockets to you if there was anything in them, Valentino, but I wasn’t lying when I told you that I’m not a rich man anymore.”

The bartering was starting to make him feel a little nervous. He’d been certain that the brigand would be open to settling for a smaller sum, considering that even ten percent was better than nothing. Now he was locked in a deal that depended on the whims of a bandit, and if he wasn’t careful he could find himself losing a lot more than his gold.

Elise, you'd better be worth it.

Inside the tavern, the volume of conversation had fallen to an urgent murmur at the presence of the burly henchmen by the door. Even on the table the mayor was barely a foot above the taller one, and one look at the man’s surly expression made him quietly climb down.

“This is foolishness,” Garta hissed as soon as his feet touched the floor. The weaver’s hands were wrapped tightly around the ends of her scarf as if she were going to whip it off and strangle him with it at any moment. It might have been a relief. “How on earth do you expect us to entrust our lives and futures to this boy we’ve never even seen before?”

“It’s not as if we have much of a choice.” The voice of the blacksmith was quiet not only in an attempt to soothe her, but also because he was probably just as afraid of her as other wise men. “They were going to burn us down before he intervened.”

“I still say we need to fight, whether or not he’s successful in negotiating a deal.” Elise had jumped down from her counter as well and stood with the council members as if she were their equal, hands crossed over her chest and glaring at anyone who gave her a sideways glance.

“We don’t even know who he is,” Garta screeched in a whisper. The mayor held back a sigh. It really had been a mistake to send Elise to her for schooling. They were like two shrieking hens in a cage when together. How was he ever going to marry Elise off if she started acting like the man-hating spinster?

“His name’s Gabriel. He’s the son of a local lord,” Elise informed them, keeping her voice low.

“What family?”

“Talisman.”

The mayor grunted in surprise. “That’s Geraine’s boy?”

Garta looked at him with narrowed eyes. “You know him?”

“I know his father. He died recently . . . some kind of robbery, I think. He used to conduct all his business here. A good name.” The mayor was frowning distractedly even as he spoke. If that really was the son of Geraine Talisman, then the situation had just become a little more troublesome. Geraine had been a man who could hold his drink, but after too much ale he was wont to complain loudly and at length about the innumerable faults of his weak and womanly only son. If the boy was as incompetent as his father believed and got himself killed in a duel, the rebuilding of the town wouldn’t be the only problem that Tradepost faced when the bandits left. Murdering a noble was an act of treason, a crime that warranted the investigation of the Church of the Ethereal Sway, and with his father so recently dead as well, the Church might be tempted to start investigating the possibility of a conspiracy, which would inevitably lead them to scrutinize the affairs of Tradepost with unprecedented interest. With Tradepost’s major attraction being the lack of accountability to the government and local fiefdoms -- and their tariffs -- that its anonymity provided, being the target of a Church inquisition would be hugely detrimental to the business affairs of the unofficial town.

The mayor sank into a chair and rested his head on his hands, letting the debate of the council wash over him. Why didn't I retire when I had the chance?

GP

Name
    Rayse Valentino
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10 / Athletic
    Job

Gabriel had began to look rather destitute, a change from his excited gestures earlier. Rayse stood tall, his figure almost looming over Gabriel's like some sort of demon. He could make this guy break, he could make him give up the very clothes on his back if he pushed hard enough, since he still did not offer his trump card of threatening to declare this underhanded negotiation with the townsfolk inside. On the other hand, this was already taking way too long. The calming waves of the insidious vapors left his body, and with them his frustrations followed. He felt that perhaps what Gabriel was hiding was some sort of treasure, a feeling that Rayse could understand as he felt his mother's thin, gold necklace around his neck, with the inside of it under his shirt. It could've been something that Gabriel valued deeply, but its actual value would be minimal. Body language was a powerful tool in negotiations, and apparently his fellow conspirator was not as proficient in it as he. Rayse read him like a book. Nonetheless, this entire affair was a good excuse to not burn the town down. Plus, a new plan hatched in Rayse's mind. Perhaps there was a way to get rid of these useless mercenaries and still get what he wanted from them.

"Consider yourself indebted to me," he spoke, finishing off his cigarette and tossing it behind him onto the road, "I'll take your gold, but I'll also take your word, as you'll take mine. I expect this favor repaid someday, so don't forget my name, because I won't forget yours, 'Gabriel'."

Gabriel was quite a lucky guy to get a deal like this, it was an almost otherworldly luck. He looked upon Gabriel's belt once more, and judged the contents of the sheaths by their size. He doubted that some sort of glamorous weapon was contained within, and the shape of the sheaths made the possibility of short swords unlikely. They could be daggers, which for all intents and purposes were good enough.

Rayse already formulated a plan for this alleged duel, "Quite a coincidence that you are proficient with knives, unless those are for show. Mine will be real, and if for a moment you appear to be genuinely attacking, don't expect any mercy."

Rayse wasn't particularly trusting of Gabriel. It was not because of Gabriel himself, but rather the violent Elise. Considering that she wanted him dead, and Gabriel wanted her heart, they could both want Rayse's head on a silver platter. A duel of this nature puts Rayse in supreme risk, as the townspeople could get the idea that his death would prevent the town burning down.

Without even waiting for Gabriel's reply, he burst into the tavern and announced in a loud voice, "I have accepted the terms presented to me. We shall have a duel with knives, and should I lose, I will leave your town in peace."

"But... should I win, every last building will be burned to the ground. While my boss would not approve of this, I'm a man of honor and will pay him the ransom myself upon my defeat."

Of course, Rayse had no boss, and even the two mercenaries had incredulous looks on their faces. They began to wonder if they didn't just owe money to Rayse, but rather a higher power that was much more deadly. Hearing him announce such a thing made them think very highly of Rayse, for they thought he was now saving them.

"The rules have been agreed upon: First person to be pinned down loses. Also, if the knife is dislodged from either of our hands by force, it also counts as defeat."

The room fell silent. It seems they all had some sort of blank look on their faces. Rayse nearly lost his composure from their dimwitted expressions, he hoped that Gabriel would come in and confirm all this, as he apparently had much more sway with these people.
    Last edited by Rayse Valentino; 11-24-07 at 09:43 PM.

GP

Name
    Gabriel Talisman
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Silver
    Build
    6.1/ 190

Gabriel was so stunned by Valentino’s sudden change of mind that he was still staring at the place where he had been after the brigand had already gone back into the tavern. Hadn’t the man ever heard of conversational courtesies? Leaving so abruptly was definitely a breach of the gentlemen’s code of conduct. And then there was the issue of the debt that he had just been given. His father had always warned him about being indebted to questionable persons, and now this creepy thief had power over him that could come back to bite him in the ass at the most inopportune moment. With a sinking feeling in his chest, Gabriel ran his hand through his hair and exhaled heavily. What had he gotten himself into?

Valentino’s voice rang from inside the tavern, and Gabriel turned and darted back inside as quickly as possible at the silence that met his grim pronouncement.

“The outlaws have agreed to the terms of our negotiations,” Gabriel said loudly in a voice intentionally tinged with grateful relief as he forced anxiety out of his expression and straightened his shoulders to project as self-assured an image as he could muster. “If I am successful in defeating this man, they will leave peacefully and Tradepost will be left untouched. Now, you may—”

“And if you lose?” Elise’s sharp voice interrupted what had been the start of a loquacious and heartfelt spiel on the noble effort that he would dedicate to the preservation of their town, but just the sound of her voice—harsh and skeptical thought it was—was enough to wipe Gabriel’s mind of coherent thought. He turned a quick smile towards her as he formulated an answer.

“If I lose,” he said somberly, turning to look at Valentino to make sure the council know that it was him and not Gabriel who ought to be the one under inquisition, “then as he said, they will show the town no mercy.”

“It seems we are left with no choice,” said a buzzard-like old woman with a scarf around her neck and a sour grimace on her face. “Our homes and livelihoods are in the hands of this boy.”

Gabriel, fighting offended indignation, didn’t have the opportunity to bring up the fact that without his intervention the town would probably have been burned down anyway. A few of the council members turned to mutter at her in harsh whispers, and the mayor’s weary voice rose from the table at which he was sitting.

“When will this fight take place?”

The defeat in the mayor’s voice was even more offensive than the old hag’s cynicism. There was a distinct lack of faith in the room that was beginning to get on Gabriel’s nerves. Why was everyone so pessimistic?

“As soon as my opponent is ready,” Gabriel told them, looking questionably at Valentino. The sky outside was a fading pink, promising the dark of night before long, but there was at least enough light to make a dagger glint, and outdoors there was room for evasion . . . just in case.

GP

Name
    Rayse Valentino
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    5'10 / Athletic
    Job

Rayse wasn't sure if Gabriel was going to win the favor of his eye candy even after winning. It seemed like a hopeless cause. Nonetheless, Rayse did not particularly care for Gabriel's love life or lack thereof.

"Now is fine, right outside here." Rayse answered, which prompted another bout of silence over the assuredness of his voice. He almost turned pale from their obliviousness. He coughed and walked outside.

"Why did our alleged savior let him decide the time and place?" One of the woman whispered to her husband, who merely shrugged. She sighed.

Outside, dusk had fallen over the quaint little town. The orange glow of the sun pierced the canopy of the trees around the houses. Rayse stood in the middle of the street, looking at his reflection on the knife. The dirt road was wide enough to accommodate a carriage, and although it was not kept in the best of conditions, it didn't seem likely that either he or Gabriel would trip on the rough terrain. He also that any of them would recognize Kapteyn, but he didn't really need more disbelief in their minds. He definitely noticed a change in the air when he entered the tavern again. They seemed less confident in their hero than the last time he was in there. It's a bit of a stretch, but there could be a potential reason for that: They know him. It was one of his gut feelings, and he had no real evidence to suggest such a notion, but it was there.

An armored man came up to Rayse and awkwardly reported to him, "Sir, there's, uh, nothing suspicious going on, sir!"

Rayse didn't especially want his mercenaries to witness this, so he sent this one away with the mission of directing the other mercenaries to the rendezvous spot, and to personally tell the people at that location not to burn the town down. Assuming the plan had been some sort of success, the mercenary hurried off to accomplish his task. Some of them might be sharp enough to notice that my claim about having a boss is a lie. I want to keep them all out of this until it's all over.

Inside the tavern, the council members scrambled out of their seats and went outside to watch the fight. The only ones that remained in the tavern at the moment were Eric, Dereck, Gabriel, the mayor, and Elise. When Gabriel left the tavern, the mayor reluctantly followed, but the two guards stopped Elise from exiting.

"Not so fast, missy," said Dereck, grabbing Elise and covering her mouth to muffle her scream, "Those were some unkind words you said about us earlier there. There's a back exit to this place, ain't there Eric?"

"I believe so, but... should we really do this? Won't Mr. Valentino get mad?"

"Nah, he'll reward us! I bet those idiots won't find themselves so conveniently broke when there's a life on the line!"

When everything was set up, Rayse beckoned to his opponent to make the opening attack. He didn't want to wait around for his girlfriend to catch up, as he had somewhat of a time limit now. He held his knife in his right hand, pointing left, and had both hands in front of him, his left over his right at his eye level. There was really no tactical advantage to gain from this position, but it made his knife stand out. If Gabriel was able to recognize the origin of the knife, he would know he was dealing with a professional and wouldn't try anything funny.

"Take your best shot," taunted Rayse.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast