Hair Color
    Dull White w/black tips
    Eye Color
    Lavender
    Build
    6'2" - 225 lbs.
    Job
    Vagabond

Was this the extent of our opponent’s power? A mere weapons’ user who could do nothing more than cower behind a statue after being the victim of storm’s electrical retaliation? Indeed a shame it was that the collective whole of Althanian fighters were dropping off in quality by the year. A plethora of ‘wanna-be’ warriors gracing the green glades, snow plains, high mountaintops, and vast deserts of this planet could be likened to a mephitic gas ripping the life away from anatomical and biological life forms all around the globe. Yet the masses cheered on, uncaring as to the lack of adeptness from these staff, sword, or stick swinging fools. In their obvious intoxication, they yelled, roared, screamed, pissed, crapped, and vomited all in enjoyment of the moment. But if I wasn’t enjoying myself, then in no wise did anybody else have the privilege to enjoy themselves.

Still atop the corner of the roof, several minutes had passed by with our opponent still taking advantage of his refuge behind that statue. The attention of the crowd had turned toward Storm urging him to finish the job and take out the cowardly man. My eyes could’ve shifted to see what Veritas’ reaction to all of this would be, but I was much too infuriated by the fact that attention had swung so quickly from me. Strange was this feeling, especially since I hadn’t suffered an attack from this emotion since I was but a young teenager. Was I gradually reverting back to some of my old ways? Or had I inadvertently succumbed to being the 'show-puppet' of the elderly executive at Serenti? I did not know for sure, nor did I really care to know at this time. Mother was still the ultimate priority, even over finding and killing Thoracis as fulfillment of a mission I’d accepted from a member of my old Alerarian squadron ‘Kyorl’ before Serenti had begun.

“I don’t know what Storm is doing but he’s irritating me,” Thinking of a way to swing the attention of the crowd back in my favor, I let out a great roar, rivaled only by stout lions. “Blood shall be spilt! And his corpse shall be burnt!!!” The men of the audience heard my statement loud and clear and roared with me, empowered by the violent imagery that my words provided them.
    Raising my arms up into the air, I underwent my transformation again, sprouting leathery black wings. Some of the people nearby grew fearful, seeing this side of me up close. Their terror led them to flee the battle scene and find asylum for the thought of death was all too real for them. Their departure could’ve bothered me but I did not allow it to, since there were only but an insignificant few that left; numbers which didn’t really affect the massive audience.

Moving my hands in a circular fashion, a ring of fire that was four feet in diameter formed. The men and women looking upon it “oohed” and “ahhed”, attracted by the burning halo, probably thinking it to resemble a torched hoop that circus clowns on a unicycle would often juggle. If that were the case, then they would soon realize just how wrong they were for my ring was a tool of destruction with the sole purpose of incinerating lives and snapping family ties.

“This shall be your end!!” I yelled toward my opponent, guiding the ring of fire over the statue and commanding it to descend, hoping that it would cook the frightened man who truly had the odds stacked against him.
    "When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic." -- Dresden James
    "Men think in herds, go mad in herds, but recover their senses one by one." -- Charles Mackay
    "A paranoid-schizophrenic is a guy who just found out what’s going on." -- William S. Burroughs

EXP: 128,600, Level: 15
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 6,400
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,400
    GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    Just as he had cast forth his bolt of energy, Storm heard the whip-snap of the crossbow opposite him. He had no chance to avoid it – the bolt came at him with a terrific speed and was all but invisible with the wild collection of colors behind the little mage. It was a blow-dart like ballistic, and hit him square in the chest. It was a fly against the indshield of his chest, and this time the fly won.

Knocked back and to the ground, Veritas felt for his chest, searching for that crimson flow. He checked his fingers as he sat up, and checked again when he found no blood there. The impact had floored him, and yet somehow the tiny bolt had not punctured the wily wizard’s flesh. Storm was a long way from a rhino-hided musclehead like his teammate, but the multiple layers of suit clothes likely saved him from serious injury or death. Lucky though he may be, he was disoriented, confused at the hissing and chirping of the fast gathering crowd, one that approached and scattered away with ballistic fire, a pulse to the action like a massive collective, communal heartbeat.

Son of a bitch… where is… what the…

No sooner did he search for the spectacled archer than did Storm hear the warcry of Zephyriah. His partner was an interesting one; bloodthirsty and powerful yet painfully awkward. The scream he uttered was sickeningly foolish to the streetwise Veritas, who would never call out to the heavens like this headstrong demon was doing. It was bizarre, confusing, surreal.

Jesus, you dumb shit. What the hell do you think you’re doing with all that yapping?

Before his thoughts could finish mocking his considerable ally, the scarlet skinned warrior cast a mesmerizing ring of fire about the statue in the town circle. The oohs and aahs that set out from the spectators told that the position of the enemy would have to be in that general vicinity. Perhaps Zephyriah was actually employing strategy.

Standing in an awkward, stumbling scramble, Storm heard something completely foreign to him; encouragement from behind him. The crowds were cheering him, something he was far from used to. The one time villain of Serenti had some backing now, no doubt those that had heard of his power and decided that his disposition was less important than his capabilities. Whispering, he called to the one who had wounded him.

”That’s it, little man. Come on out and play, or taste the heat. I’ve got a lot more right here for you.”

EXP: 5,347, Level: 3
    Level completed: 9%, EXP required for next level: 3,653
    Level completed: 9%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,653
    GP

Name
    Taviri Ambria
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'9"
    Job
    Priest of Varias

View Profile
    While Taviri was indeed outnumbered and outgunned, he was never frightened. The hide behind the statue meant nothing as he sighed as saw his staff roll off towards the edge of the group. He was defenseless his leather bracers badly burnt, and upon looking up saw a halo of fire above him. Forced to move he made the only logical move, he sprinted for his staff.

Moving towards the staff he dove reaching a leather clad hand for the staff and as he clasped it. Hitting the ground hard he groaned as he felt already sore and tired. He had nothing up his sleeve, and was drastically outmatched. Still he rose up from his prone position and grunted brushing some more ashes from his gauntlets. After the match he woudl more than likely need new ones, perhaps plated so as to be able to withstand more punishment than the simple leather.

As he drew himself up he looked at the Drow from beyond his glasses. What he saw boggled his mind. The man was not all there. He looked like a large puzzle only about halfway completed. Pushing his glasses up he gave a basic twirl of his staff as he heaved his chest rapidly to try and regain his breath before he spoke, "So you come at me together. Now that I know how this is playing out, lets not disappoint the crowd..."

His eyes shone with determination as he looked squarely at Storm and then again at Zephyriah. He was fighting a man who wasn't all there, and Storm Veritas the crumpled soul. As he sighed he realized they were both far more powerful than him. The fully expanded staff in his hands gripped tightly as he made a decision. He had to take out one of them, and form the way the Drow was acting, he had to take Storm.

So rushing at the man he could only hope as he swung the staff at the man much like a man would swing an axe right into the trunk of a large tree.
    "I see your soul, and I see the stains upon it..."

EXP: 42,750, Level: 8
    Level completed: 87%, EXP required for next level: 1,250
    Level completed: 87%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,250
    GP

Name
    Zephyriah Ablione
    Race
    Hybrid?
    Hair Color
    Dull White w/black tips
    Eye Color
    Lavender
    Build
    6'2" - 225 lbs.
    Job
    Vagabond

The stench of fear was potent in the air, as the man wearing hunter garbs scurried about like a terrified mouse, knowing that his predator lurked nearby. Somehow he narrowly avoided the fatal judgment that the blazing halo had in store for him, for it had not singed any part of him, but instead left a wide black twelve inch deep circle around the statue. Those in the audience jumped back as the flaming ring scorched the ground, fearful to accidentally be the victim of my attack. In a way I was disappointed by the sudden turn of events, wishing that the initial part of my attack had at least touched somebody. However, it wasn’t over quite yet so I wasn’t angered by it too much. I was aware of the mindset of the opponent though. He was running out of options and it would only be a matter of time before his weary little legs grew exhausted and yielded to the inevitable death grip of Storm and I. Yet for now, he was exhibiting the stage in which an endangered animal displayed when death crept close behind. Hasty, irrational moves were the symptoms of such a frantic condition and it was quite pitiful.

“A shame. If he really thinks that blindly charging at Veritas with a stick is going to do anything, then he’s a greater fool than I’d imagined.”

With the advantage I had over my opponent due to my vantage point, it would’ve been all too easy to fly downward and quickly cut the hunter’s staff in two with my blade. However, past confrontations have taught me that brazen attitudes mixed unskillfully with rash actions only produced unpleasant surprises. For all I knew, this pathetic charge could’ve been the opponent’s attempt to get Storm and I in a close area, which would then allow for a more sinister, devastating attack. The thought was not too far-fetched, for this was Althanas, the place where men and unpredictability went hand in hand. So, in order to curtail any ploy that the hunter might’ve been planning, I flew down like an eagle, scooping up and elderly lady by her underarms. As expected, she shrieked, calling for aid and demanding that I unhand her. Tuning her out was my method of dealing with her incessancy for she was only a mere diversion, a simple tool to be utilized to my own devices. The fact that I hadn’t killed her yet should’ve been a clear sign as to the way in which she would coercively contribute in this altercation. After all, she would only be in my clutches but for a short moment………

“Let’s see what kind of man our good friend here is……” I grinned, as I soared over both Storm and our opponent, dropping the senior citizen in between the two, as a means to attempt to stop the hunter from landing an attack on my partner. It was unknown to me how our opponent would respond, but if there was a trick up his sleeve, surely the old woman would be the first to experience it, rather than Storm or I.
    Last edited by Zephyriah; 05-11-06 at 03:04 PM.
    "When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic." -- Dresden James
    "Men think in herds, go mad in herds, but recover their senses one by one." -- Charles Mackay
    "A paranoid-schizophrenic is a guy who just found out what’s going on." -- William S. Burroughs

EXP: 128,600, Level: 15
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 6,400
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,400
    GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    ((I’ve got to do a little bunnying here. I’ll edit if it’s not ok.))

The little fellow opposite Storm had perhaps more courage than brains, and the sadistic mage could do little to stifle a laugh as he saw the impish young man charge at him with a staff, preparing to swing. The young were usually brazen, but this one seemed downright foolish.

Come and get it, slick. F*ck with the bull, though, and you catch the horns.

Once again, his own teammate served as two parts distraction to his aid in assaulting, a bone-chilling scream coming from just behind the two in the town square. Instants later an old woman was dropped between the two, just as the dangerous young mage began his swing. She popped up in terror, eyes wide and afraid, her white hair a suitable target for the incoming oak. The thick knot at the end of the staff struck her squarely in the cheek, a harrowing cracking sound unmistakably foretelling a fractured skull, perhaps broken jaw. Her face caved instantly as she swung hard to her right, instantly rendered unconscious and fast falling with a sickening, terrible murmur.

What the hell is that idiot doing? Why...?

The actions of his partner seemed random, but there was no time to reconsider the merit of the scarlet faced rogue's choices. The woman could not fall, or the window would surely close on a golden opportunity. He moved with a guile which seemed a bit too fast, a shade too clever given the bizarre circumstances. This, however, was a chance, and Storm refused to let such an opportunity pass by as the now wide-eyed adversary glared on at his felled victim. He swooped hard, ignoring the pain in his shoulder and catching her again between his arms, lifting her slightly with the same lack of tact ushered forth by Zephyriah. Her body was limp and lifeless, and he carelessly propped her up on a stilted bone structure as the crowd cooed in horror. Grabbing a handful of her mostly salted hair, he pulled back hard with his left hand, dragging his iron blade across her chest.

One single slice was all it would take, and he felt the dagger tear through the soft, stretched flesh like a tender roast. With a jagged, rough pull, he felt the carotid yield, bursting like a balloon and spraying a fountain of blood that looked terribly brownish and sickeningly real. The jet of blood arced in the air directly at the stunned young man as Storm released the woman, spinning hard about his left foot as he positioned to strike again. His hands and blade coated with the scarlet nectar, he was swinging his knife at the young man’s abdomen before the elder’s limp corpse could thump lifeless on the cobbles.

EXP: 5,347, Level: 3
    Level completed: 9%, EXP required for next level: 3,653
    Level completed: 9%,
    EXP required for next level: 3,653
    GP

Name
    Taviri Ambria
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'9"
    Job
    Priest of Varias

View Profile
    (Storm, I'm okay with it, it actually helped...)

He was so sure, so ready to let his strike connect, to beat in the skull of his opponent. However things seemed to move even slower as he moved. He barely registered the scream of the woman before she was unceremoniously dumped into the battlefield, right in the path of his staff. Son of a...get out of my way!

It was too late, and as hindsight is always 20/20 there was no way he would be able to recover. The staff hit the geriatric, and she was soon to fall. While he felt guilt he knew that if he could only get close to her, he could save her from harm. He could heal her wounds and continue the fight. He might expose himself, but to help a victim of the cruelest of games, he would endure. All he had to do was get his hands on her.

He would never get the chance.

Before his very eyes as he backpedaled to get out of reach of his opponents, he realized his folly. Storm Veritas, the crumbled shell of a man, grasped the woman tightly in his arms, almost to save her, but didn't. The glint of the knife that would end her life was only brief, but its repercussions forever. The blade cut through the skin, tore muscle and easily caused wounds even healing hands could not heal. As the woman let out a wet gasp she fell, dead.

Then the blade cut across his stomach, mixing his own blood with hers as he felt the slash go deeply inside him. The crowd all gasped as Taviri didn't move, some even questioning if the brutal slash would even connect, until the trickle of blood could be seen. His body opened up, its contents out for all to see. He looked at Storm Vertias the only opponent he could see before he closed his eyes. He felt the call of the gods within him. They beckoned him home, yet he persisted to remain, as a hunter, he was trained to have an iron will, to push through deadly wounds.

Yet he didn't want to.

This wound would never heal. He looked Storm in the eyes as he sank to a knee and spoke, his words deathly grave, "Hope you're satisfied murderer, Lornius will surely be a colder place to one so pathetic as you..."

He dropped the staff as he fell forward his hand trying to keep his innards inside him as he coughed. The sound was horrible and racking as he closed his eyes, feeling fatigue creep up on him. Varias' voice seemed strongest among the chorus as he sought to pull him into his fold, yet Taviri declined, he knew to accept his death would be to dishonor his pledge to protect the seal. Yet even that seemed wrong now.

What good is a seal, when there is no one left to enjoy it?

The body fell, and the hand twitched once, before the sleep of eternity took him over.

(Good fight, unless something miraculous happens, best of luck in round 2 guys...)
    Last edited by Taviri Ambria; 05-12-06 at 02:04 AM.
    "I see your soul, and I see the stains upon it..."

I'm Mr. White Christmas!
    EXP: 55,856, Level: 9
    Level completed: 17%, EXP required for next level: 9,144
    Level completed: 17%,
    EXP required for next level: 9,144
    GP

Name
    Ashiakin Azzarak
    Race
    Demon
    Hair Color
    White
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'0''/170lbs
    Job
    Spymaster

THE RINGERS

Taviri Ambria

Introduction: 4 - I did not understand why your character had to enter a tournament to face Seth. I also didn't understand if your character actually wanted to kill Seth or just rough him up a little bit. The ambiguous motivations presented here made your character hard to follow.

Setting: 5 - Hiding behind the statue was a good move.

Strategy: 6 - For someone who was stuck fighting two pretty powerful people at once, you did a good job of having your character behave realistically.

Writing Style: 5 - Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Rising Action: 4 - See my comment in your introduction.

Dialogue: 4 - Your dialogue didn't help me get a clear sense of your character. It was very average and sometimes too vague to help me understand what you were trying to convey.

Character: 4 - At first I almost felt like this character was just an advertisement for your other character. You mentioned Seth's name a lot, but instead of getting the feeling that Taviri was utterly consumed with hatred for Seth, I got the idea that you (as the writer) were just mentioning his name. I'd work on fleshing out his emotions to make that more believable.

Climax: 5 - Pretty usual stuff.

Conclusion: 5 - Again, pretty usual, but it was believable.

Wild Card: 4 - I feel like you don't have good of a grasp on this character as you do your others.

Total: 46

Cadori

You didn't post!

Total: 0

Team Average: 23

SORE FROM SODOMY

Storm Veritas

Introduction: 7 - Very fitting to your character.

Setting: 6 - While I was aware of the setting in your posts, I didn't feel like it had too much of an affect on what you were doing. Your major use of the setting was the old woman, and while it was creative, it would have been hard not to do something there, since Zeph dropped her at your feet.

Strategy: 6 - You would have gotten a seven or an eight here had it not been for one part. A few layers of clothing saved Storm from a crossbow bolt? I didn't buy that at all!

Writing Style: 7 - For a first round tournament battle, very impressive.

Rising Action: 6 - You kept things moving pretty well.

Dialogue: 7 - As usual, accurate and appropriate to your character.

Character: 7 - I've pretty much stated it all above--you did an admirable job refelcting your character through your dialogue, thoughts, and actions.

Climax: 7 - Although I did say in your setting score that you basically had to use the old woman because of the way Zeph dropped her in front of you, the way that you did was both a showing of character and a nice strategy.

Conclusion: 0.

Wild Card: 5.

Total: 59

Zephyriah

Introduction: 7 - A seamless continuation from the end of the Serenti. This was very well done. You basically took the motivations you were developing late in the Serenti and transferred them to the LCC believably. Good job!

Setting: 8 - The airship, the parachute, the old woman... You always conveyed the setting well and made use of it in your posts. I was impressed.

Strategy: 7 - Inventive and appropriate to your character.

Writing Style: 6 - You sometimes phrase things awkwardly, but for the most part you wrote this battle well.

Dialogue: 6 - This is good and generally reflects your character, but it sometimes suffers from the awkward phrasing I mentioned in Writing Style.

Character: 6 - Basically, I think you have a really good grasp on Zeph and how he operates, but the way you phrase things sometimes makes it a little hard to follow.

Climax: 7 - Pretty much what I said for Storm. A good strategic decision that was appropriate to your character.

Conclusion: 0.

Wild Card: 6.

Total: 53

Team Average: 56

Sore from Sodomy advances to Round 2!

REWARDS:
    Storm Veritas receives 436 EXP and 150 GP.
    Zephyriah receives 412 EXP and 150 GP.
    Taviri Ambria receives 46 EXP and 100 GP.
    "The problem with escapism is that when you read or write a book, society is in the chair with you. You can't escape your history or your culture. So the idea that because fantasy books aren't about the real world, they therefore 'escape,' is ridiculous. Even the most surreal and bizarre fantasy can't help but reverberate around the reader's awareness of their own reality." -- China Miéville

Former Regions Administrator, Former Salvar Writer

Sons of Terrinore
    EXP: 34,727, Level: 7
    Level completed: 97%, EXP required for next level: 273
    Level completed: 97%,
    EXP required for next level: 273
    GP

Name
    Thoracis Rakarth
    Race
    Human... mostly.
    Hair Color